Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Giants Interested in WR Chris Hogan (Patriots)

Eric from BBI : Admin : 3/14/2019 10:02 am
Pat Leonard
& #8207;Verified account @PLeonardNYDN
19m19 minutes ago

Some news: According to a league source, the #Giants have talked to reps for Patriots free agent WR Chris Hogan recently. Hogan, 31, a two-time Super Bowl champ, of course out of N.J.'s Ramapo High School & Monmouth U.

Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
Heís an ok receiver, but donít we  
Simms11 : 3/14/2019 11:01 am : link
Already have guys like him, ie. Fowler, etc
He should be available when  
pjcas18 : 3/14/2019 11:02 am : link
he won't hurt in comp pick calculations.

at that time, sure, sign him up.

Please no  
5BowlsSoon : 3/14/2019 11:06 am : link
Iíd look at Conley if available.
RE: there  
bluepepper : 3/14/2019 11:12 am : link
In comment 14335934 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
is only one reason to bring in Hogan and that is the culture issue.

Love the way the journeyman is automatically considered an upgrade to the culture. Because he landed on the Pats for 2 years? If we signed Dorsett instead would people say the same thing?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!  
Dave in Hoboken : 3/14/2019 11:20 am : link
.
NE players stink here  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 3/14/2019 11:33 am : link
Pass. We just don't have the culture and system to leverage value out for a player like Hogan
Hogan  
Marty866b : 3/14/2019 11:38 am : link
Was nicknamed 7/11 by the Miami Dolphins because they said he was always open. We could do worse then signing him. We have a lot of openings at his position and maybe he can help some of the young players that we are going to bring in.
Hogan  
SeattleGiant : 3/14/2019 11:42 am : link
Is a quality WR, reminds me of Steve Smith. He is quick, tough, durable, and has really good hands. He's fast and he's incredibly hard to cover. He'd be a very good #3 or #4. Get him.
RE: RE: Seriously?  
rnargi : 3/14/2019 11:47 am : link
In comment 14336083 djm said:
Quote:
In comment 14335887 rnargi said:


Quote:


This guy disappears for months at a time...he averages around 35 catches per YEAR over his career. He had more than 2 receptions only once over the last 9 games last season, and had zero in 4 of those. He's less than a JAG.



Just be happy you got that 2nd rounder in the FF trade we made along with hogan and Jared Cook. All for the decaying corpse of Demarco Murray!! You ripped me off!

You can do worse than hogan. Eli will get the most out of him like he always does.

Thatís right Iím going there



Lol, YOU proposed that one!
Be alarmed with Hogan  
CromartiesKid21 : 3/14/2019 11:50 am : link
He didn't lose a step last year he lost 2
Emil  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 3/14/2019 11:56 am : link
surprised me that he's averaged 13.5 yards per catch. That's respectable.
RE: Emil  
Go Terps : 3/14/2019 12:11 pm : link
In comment 14336407 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
surprised me that he's averaged 13.5 yards per catch. That's respectable.


In 2018 he averaged 15.2. Beckham's was 13.7.
RE: Emil  
Emil : 3/14/2019 12:13 pm : link
In comment 14336407 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
surprised me that he's averaged 13.5 yards per catch. That's respectable.


Certainly is!

This guy has been flying under the radar for years. All he did in Buffalo was catch everything thrown his way and make plays in the clutch. I'd certainly never call him a starting caliber WR, and he's not going to be a 800 yd+ type of contributor, but New England brought him in for a reason. He's an excellent number 3 or 4 WR, contributes very well on specials, gets open, runs good routes, and has good hands. He's a football player, who happens to be a WR.

He'd be a good fit
RE: Emil  
rnargi : 3/14/2019 12:14 pm : link
In comment 14336407 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
surprised me that he's averaged 13.5 yards per catch. That's respectable.


It's easy when you only catch 30 balls a year.
rnargi  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 3/14/2019 12:16 pm : link
If you look at his career stats, they are pretty consistent. Averaging 13-15 yards per catch is very respectable. He actually was up to 15 last year.
Emil  
fkap : 3/14/2019 12:21 pm : link
brought up the 'good blocking WR'.

Not saying that's a sole reason to bring him in, but it is an attribute that doesn't show up on the stat sheet that will be appreciated when Barkley breaks free.
RE: rnargi  
rnargi : 3/14/2019 12:21 pm : link
In comment 14336470 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
If you look at his career stats, they are pretty consistent. Averaging 13-15 yards per catch is very respectable. He actually was up to 15 last year.


I have looked, Eric. He's steady as a rock through his career, including spending time injured nearly every season. He's been a tease his entire career. Look at his playoff production: All-Pro one game, Non-Existent the next. What, exactly, IS he? To me, a plug in when required who can occasionally have a good game. I'm not sure what role we'd be looking at for him, but he's certainly NOT a #1 WR. Maybe an outside #2 possession guy but even then, he's no Bouldin or even Crabtree.
down yr  
2cents : 3/14/2019 12:22 pm : link
I like this as a place holder but the price has got to be right. he was exposed last yr when asked to play a bigger role but i trust Shurmur to set him up for success.
RE: rnargi  
rnargi : 3/14/2019 12:22 pm : link
In comment 14336470 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
If you look at his career stats, they are pretty consistent. Averaging 13-15 yards per catch is very respectable. He actually was up to 15 last year.


And to repeat, He caught 12 balls over the last nine games last year, and 6 came in the season finale against the Jets.
RE: I have always been a big Hogan fan  
Rjanyg : 3/14/2019 12:22 pm : link
In comment 14336176 Emil said:
Quote:
He was under-utilized when he played in Buffalo. He has deceptive speed and is a good route runner. Certainly not a burner, but he will surprise you deep and he has good hands and a good frame. He's only 6'1" but plays like he's 3-4 inches taller.

Works the middle well, great team guy, and is a standout special teams player. Good blocker at the WR position.

If he is signed, do not be shocked if you see him playing X receiver on the outside, especially in 12 personnel. He can block and he can work win one on one battles with his frame, wing span, and good hands. He'd be a good inexpensive signing. Lots of value for not a lot of cash.


All good points. Good post.
I've read all the posts about his good stats  
bradshaw44 : 3/14/2019 12:36 pm : link
but this guys screams of Brandon Stokely results if he come here. Hope I'm wrong but that's what I think of when I see his name. Not just because he's a white receiver either. He was a semi reliable receiver that I fear was made to look better then he was because the guy that is throwing to him is one of the best ever. Just like Stokely had Peyton.
More of a russel shepard replacement  
Dankbeerman : 3/14/2019 1:10 pm : link
then an odel replacement but that could be valuable trying to bring along a rookie wr or two
Haven't we learned our lesson with these guys?  
shockeyisthebest8056 : 3/14/2019 1:20 pm : link
Unless the head coach is coming with him, I fully expect him to suck ass in blue.
I see Hogan as a product of the Patriots' system  
Vanzetti : 3/14/2019 1:53 pm : link
If Giants sign him on a one-year for not much money, then fine. But I really think it would be a mistake to give him anything more than that. And I agree with those posters comparing it to the Stewart signing and seeing it as an example of the Giants' repeating a mistake.

But at this poiont, it is just a rumor and getting upset over rumors is silly since most of them prove untrue.
We're not the Pats ....  
Manny in CA : 3/14/2019 2:06 pm : link

Where Bill & Tom just "plug & play", and everything works, no matter who they bring in (because they're smarter than everybody else). We're like the other 32 teams in the NFL - we need a true "X", a guy who scares the crap out of the opponent ...

We had one (arguably the best one), now we're relegated to "dink n' dunk".

Shep is set at slot, Engram (who could be excellent as #2 is stuck at TE). Coleman, as noted has all the tools but is in a deep sleep.

As William Bendix used to say - "what a revolting development" !
Brandon Stokley? Hahahahaha  
KWALL2 : 3/14/2019 2:07 pm : link
Hogan is nothing like Stokley. I mean they couldnít be further apart as players other than theyíre both white giys.

Hogan is a lbig guy and deep threat. Elite athlete. NE sent him on deep routes all day.

Stokley? A little slot WR with quickness.

No similarities at all. And Hogan isnít finished like Stokley was when he got here. He has plenty left. He could help.

RE: Brandon Stokley? Hahahahaha  
Big Blue '56 : 3/14/2019 2:17 pm : link
In comment 14336837 KWALL2 said:
Quote:
Hogan is nothing like Stokley. I mean they couldnít be further apart as players other than theyíre both white giys.

Hogan is a lbig guy and deep threat. Elite athlete. NE sent him on deep routes all day.

Stokley? A little slot WR with quickness.

No similarities at all. And Hogan isnít finished like Stokley was when he got here. He has plenty left. He could help.


If not for Stokely being finished (and injured) there most likely is no Cruz.:)
RE: there  
Diver_Down : 3/14/2019 2:26 pm : link
In comment 14335934 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
is only one reason to bring in Hogan and that is the culture issue.


Can he fulfill Shep's production? Need a slight bump in total yards, but the TD receptions are equal. The reason I ask is that if the Giants aren't planning on signing Shep to an extension, then he might draw interest in trade. Not necessarily for this April's draft, but before the trade deadline for next year's draft.
Diver_Down  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 3/14/2019 2:48 pm : link
After looking more at him, my comments were premature. rnargi is not incorrect in that he disappears at times, as Emil says, he is deceptively athletic and does make some plays down the field.
RE: Diver_Down  
Diver_Down : 3/14/2019 2:57 pm : link
In comment 14336960 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
After looking more at him, my comments were premature. rnargi is not incorrect in that he disappears at times, as Emil says, he is deceptively athletic and does make some plays down the field.


I was thinking overnight that there aren't too many players that carry trade value that were selected by Reese. Right or wrong, DG isn't trading his guys that he drafted or traded for recently. I like Shep's game. I love his willingness to block. But if there is no future here, then he might be candidate to be traded. The other player that I think doesn't fit a run-first offense is Engram. Every year, we are waiting for Engram to "take over". Also, every year is the debate to move him to WR. Grabbing Hockenson at #17 solves the blocking/receiving TE dilemma.
RE: Brandon Stokley? Hahahahaha  
bradshaw44 : 3/14/2019 3:01 pm : link
In comment 14336837 KWALL2 said:
Quote:
Hogan is nothing like Stokley. I mean they couldnít be further apart as players other than theyíre both white giys.

Hogan is a lbig guy and deep threat. Elite athlete. NE sent him on deep routes all day.

Stokley? A little slot WR with quickness.

No similarities at all. And Hogan isnít finished like Stokley was when he got here. He has plenty left. He could help.


I was pretty clear in my comment stating that the similarity I was referring too was they are products of two of the greatest QB's ever that make them look better then they really are.
Diver_Down  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 3/14/2019 3:03 pm : link
It has passed my mind that re-signing Shepard is going to be an issue. I would not be shocked if he were traded.
RE: Diver_Down  
SGMen : 3/14/2019 3:10 pm : link
In comment 14337002 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
It has passed my mind that re-signing Shepard is going to be an issue. I would not be shocked if he were traded.
I would have a stroke if on draft day we traded our #6, #17 and Shepard for AZ's #1 & Murray. I mean, can you see something like that??? Scares me cause I'm just not sold on him as a true, NFL QB. Not just his size but his style scares me as NFL defenders will crush you.
RE: RE: Diver_Down  
Diver_Down : 3/14/2019 3:17 pm : link
In comment 14337030 SGMen said:
Quote:
In comment 14337002 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


It has passed my mind that re-signing Shepard is going to be an issue. I would not be shocked if he were traded.

I would have a stroke if on draft day we traded our #6, #17 and Shepard for AZ's #1 & Murray. I mean, can you see something like that??? Scares me cause I'm just not sold on him as a true, NFL QB. Not just his size but his style scares me as NFL defenders will crush you.


I don't see any blockbuster package to trade up not this year. Besides, Shep's value has to be pegged at a 3rd rounder. If he leaves in FA after this season, then he would likely be a factor in a comp pick formula for the following year. The problem is with an estimated $90M in cap space next year we are likely signing more players than negate the value of those that leave.

Engram on the other hand has 2 years remaining on his contract. He should garner a 2nd.
Hogan is interesting...  
bw in dc : 3/14/2019 3:24 pm : link
but McDaniels does a brilliant job scheming to get him optimal chances. He's really an ideal #3 option.

I'll give him this - he's very clutch. That third down reception on the game tying drive against at Atlanta in the SB - where the Pats were deep in their own end - was a thing of beauty. He ran a terrific out pattern and Brady made an extraordinary throw.
why can't we use Engram this way  
bc4life : 3/14/2019 3:28 pm : link
and get a real tight end
Hogan would be a good add  
Eric on Li : 3/14/2019 3:28 pm : link
as would Tate but obviously he'd cost more. Honestly, they need competent players who bring skills to the table. Nobody is going to replace Odell's big play ability except Saquon. Maybe Engram to a degree. Maybe Shepard steps up or they make a good draft pick too.

But even with Odell they lacked secondary options.
I compared Hogan to Odell last 3 years  
5BowlsSoon : 3/14/2019 3:37 pm : link
1. Hogan has a higher yards per catch than O
H: 15, 12, 18. O: 14, 12, 14 (rounded)

2. Hogan has a slightly higher completion to target % than O
H: 64, 58, 66. O: 62, 61, 60

3. O has many more targets than H.
O has 124, 41, 169. Hogan has 55, 59, 58

4. O has more tds: 19-12

For whatever these stats are worth...
So maybe Hogan  
5BowlsSoon : 3/14/2019 3:43 pm : link
Isnít so bad after all after looking and comparing his stats with Odell.

Odell gets so many more targets which obviously means more catches, yards, and tds. If the targets were equal, the numbers show Hogan can do just as well as Odell.

Of course Odellís one hand grabs are highlight stuff. Iím sure Hogan isnít as flashy.
Hogan - ( New Window )
RE: Hogan is interesting...  
Emil : 3/14/2019 3:47 pm : link
In comment 14337081 bw in dc said:
Quote:
but McDaniels does a brilliant job scheming to get him optimal chances. He's really an ideal #3 option.

I'll give him this - he's very clutch. That third down reception on the game tying drive against at Atlanta in the SB - where the Pats were deep in their own end - was a thing of beauty. He ran a terrific out pattern and Brady made an extraordinary throw.


You are right, he is certainly clutch.

Tell you what, he got open plenty in Buffalo too when he was there, which says a lot about his ability to run routes and read coverages. He earned the nickname 7/11 (cause he's always open) when he was a Bill.
To those of you saying no and pass, I have to ask:  
Brown Recluse : 3/14/2019 4:16 pm : link
What in the hell do you expect at this point? There arent any good wideouts available, and they have a huge hole at wideout.

Funny how its the same people on this theead as every other just shitting on everything without any sensible alternative. Many of them the same ones who bitched and moaned for months last offseason because the Giants went with a RB instead of their precious QB.

A flock of annoying pigeons that just sit around BBI with blank looks on their faces, shitting everywhere.
Hogan's nothing special  
Greg from LI : 3/14/2019 4:17 pm : link
But hell, SOMEONE has to play receiver for this team. Have you looked at the depth chart? Yikes.
RE: To those of you saying no and pass, I have to ask:  
Big Blue '56 : 3/14/2019 4:18 pm : link
In comment 14337251 Brown Recluse said:
Quote:
What in the hell do you expect at this point? There arent any good wideouts available, and they have a huge hole at wideout.

Funny how its the same people on this theead as every other just shitting on everything without any sensible alternative. Many of them the same ones who bitched and moaned for months last offseason because the Giants went with a RB instead of their precious QB.

A flock of annoying pigeons that just sit around BBI with blank looks on their faces, shitting everywhere.


Nothing. Iíd rather turn to the draft
RE: RE: To those of you saying no and pass, I have to ask:  
Brown Recluse : 3/14/2019 4:23 pm : link
In comment 14337258 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
In comment 14337251 Brown Recluse said:


Quote:


What in the hell do you expect at this point? There arent any good wideouts available, and they have a huge hole at wideout.

Funny how its the same people on this theead as every other just shitting on everything without any sensible alternative. Many of them the same ones who bitched and moaned for months last offseason because the Giants went with a RB instead of their precious QB.

A flock of annoying pigeons that just sit around BBI with blank looks on their faces, shitting everywhere.



Nothing. Iíd rather turn to the draft


That wasnt directed at you. 👍
RE: To those of you saying no and pass, I have to ask:  
jvm52106 : 3/14/2019 4:29 pm : link
In comment 14337251 Brown Recluse said:
Quote:
What in the hell do you expect at this point? There arent any good wideouts available, and they have a huge hole at wideout.

Funny how its the same people on this theead as every other just shitting on everything without any sensible alternative. Many of them the same ones who bitched and moaned for months last offseason because the Giants went with a RB instead of their precious QB.

A flock of annoying pigeons that just sit around BBI with blank looks on their faces, shitting everywhere.


I think he would be a fine addition. We need solid team leaders as well as playmakers. Keep in mind the Giants seemed to be pushing EE towards the end of the season back to the outside more. I think he can be seen as a Hybrid TE/WR in this going BIG offense. Hogan is a taller WR with smarts and reliability who can also play special teams.
Hopefully a dead issue  
Jim Bur(n)t : 3/14/2019 5:13 pm : link
Now that Tate is on board
I would love Chris  
BeckShepEli : 3/14/2019 5:26 pm : link
On board after we signed Tate. He would be the perfect #3 WR
Doubt they sign Hogan  
bc4life : 3/14/2019 7:20 pm : link
after they got Tate. Shepard, Tate, Engram, Barkley. Only so many balls. See if Coleman can step up and try out some youngsters
RE: 0  
GeofromNJ : 3/14/2019 8:54 pm : link
In comment 14335845 Ron Johnson said:
Quote:
separation

Good call, Ron, and that's precisely what makes Beckham so special. He can lose defenders. Can Tate or Hogan? If not, Eli will be tossing a few more INT's than he normally does, assuming he's still the guy behind center.
RE: RE: RE: Seriously?  
djm : 3/14/2019 11:31 pm : link
In comment 14336383 rnargi said:
Quote:
In comment 14336083 djm said:


Quote:


In comment 14335887 rnargi said:


Quote:


This guy disappears for months at a time...he averages around 35 catches per YEAR over his career. He had more than 2 receptions only once over the last 9 games last season, and had zero in 4 of those. He's less than a JAG.



Just be happy you got that 2nd rounder in the FF trade we made along with hogan and Jared Cook. All for the decaying corpse of Demarco Murray!! You ripped me off!

You can do worse than hogan. Eli will get the most out of him like he always does.

Thatís right Iím going there




Lol, YOU proposed that one!


Oh Yes I did. Drats
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner