Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

"What is the Giants plan?" by Will Brinson

DanMetroMan : 3/14/2019 4:32 pm
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. Except the Giants.

New York's once proud franchise -- now amongst the NFL's most dysfunctional, only saved from total public derision by the blue-chip aura that somehow still pervades the club courtesy of a narrative spoon-fed to us over the years -- never had a plan.

The Giants got punched in the mouth anyway. Their counterpunch looks feeble at best.

Dave Gettleman, the only GM in recent memory to draft a running back in the top 10 of back-to-back NFL drafts for two different franchises, tried to sell the trade of Odell Beckham to the Browns as something the Giants needed to do, a bold move part of a bigger strategy.

"You can win while you build a roster," Gettleman said. "We do have a plan, and this is a part of it.""
Link - ( New Window )
Be patient folks  
Jim in Forest Hills : 3/14/2019 4:33 pm : link
just be a few more years!
Guy’s a moron,  
Big Blue '56 : 3/14/2019 4:34 pm : link
imv
Not you,  
Big Blue '56 : 3/14/2019 4:34 pm : link
Jim
and  
Josh in the City : 3/14/2019 4:35 pm : link
Dave
Pile it on  
bradshaw44 : 3/14/2019 4:35 pm : link
JFC.
Everybody who thinks this franchise is lost  
Mike from Ohio : 3/14/2019 4:41 pm : link
is not an idiot. It is becoming a very widely held belief.
oh there's a plan.  
Enzo : 3/14/2019 4:44 pm : link
It just so happens to be a lousy one.
Again, are we expecting any article written to throw bouquets at us?  
The_Boss : 3/14/2019 4:50 pm : link
This is just the beginning. These guys in the media are going to be shitting on us throughout the year. We’re going to be a late night tv punchline. DG’s legacy very well could be the guy who gave Odell away for a bag of pretzels.
Love that he knocked DG for drafting Mccaffrey and Barkley,  
j_rud : 3/14/2019 4:54 pm : link
an All Pro and ROTY, respectively. No agenda here lol.
RE: Love that he knocked DG for drafting Mccaffrey and Barkley,  
lax counsel : 3/14/2019 4:56 pm : link
In comment 14337472 j_rud said:
Quote:
an All Pro and ROTY, respectively. No agenda here lol.


They can be whatever personal award you want they are still...running backs.
I Have To Say Reading This Article  
lax counsel : 3/14/2019 5:06 pm : link
This guy is pretty much spot on mainly:

1) The Giants are a dysfunctional franchise;

2) a large contingent of the Giants fan base will buy anything the franchise sells them;

3) DG was selling everyone on a quick fix last year;

4) DG has no track record for finding a qb;

5) Whose the last team to win a title with a high paid rb; and

6) this is a pass heavy league where you need good to great qb play to win


Because you don't like the source of the information or the reality of the situation does not mean everyone has an agenda. Reality is, the Giants are a mess.
So far so good for me.  
TMS : 3/14/2019 5:09 pm : link
DG and his staff may have turned the team around in two years with smart personnel moves. Did not think it possible. Still developing as we speak. Loving it. We will see. MO.
RE: RE: Love that he knocked DG for drafting Mccaffrey and Barkley,  
Toth029 : 3/14/2019 5:10 pm : link
In comment 14337489 lax counsel said:
Quote:
In comment 14337472 j_rud said:


Quote:


an All Pro and ROTY, respectively. No agenda here lol.



They can be whatever personal award you want they are still...running backs.

One certain elite RB was missed for the Rams. Wasn't he? Elite backs are mismatches and difference makers.

What difference have elite WAr's done, exactly?
WR's...  
Toth029 : 3/14/2019 5:11 pm : link
That is
How many articles have to be produced by  
NoGainDayne : 3/14/2019 5:12 pm : link
different people in the media knocking certain moves and questioning the direction of this franchise before people start acknowledging that this isn't some kind of targeted hit by the media on us.

The majority of writers do not think we are doing a good job. Maybe some of them aren't good but there seems to be this idea around here that the writers that agree with us are good writers and the ones that don't are not.
Will Brinson has a pretty good daily NFL podcast.  
Dodge : 3/14/2019 5:13 pm : link
I'd recommend that. That being said, their show from yesterday was just trashing the Giants. They have a few 20-something writers on that basically shit on the Giants calling Eli a trash tier QB etc.

Little frustrating. Will is also from North Carolina too if that helps.
I'd like to add...  
Dodge : 3/14/2019 5:14 pm : link
to the people who think a RB doesn't work (which includes some of the dolts on his podcast) is that Dallas basically won a ton of games a few years ago on the back of Elliot with a shitty defense.

Giants only need a better oline and they can be there.

Just sayin.
RE: How many articles have to be produced by  
Big Blue '56 : 3/14/2019 5:14 pm : link
In comment 14337600 NoGainDayne said:
Quote:
different people in the media knocking certain moves and questioning the direction of this franchise before people start acknowledging that this isn't some kind of targeted hit by the media on us.

The majority of writers do not think we are doing a good job. Maybe some of them aren't good but there seems to be this idea around here that the writers that agree with us are good writers and the ones that don't are not.


Oh bullshit. The Giants are targeted by the media every fucking year. EVERY YEAR. Even our two SB wins were grudgingly accepted
The plan  
Les in TO : 3/14/2019 5:15 pm : link
Is bring in respectful players who stay healthy and don’t cause drama. And as the article notes, focus the offense around Barkley. Some veterans some rookies and young players. The plan for the QB transition is still anybody’s guess
This national media narrative is really starting to piss me off.  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 3/14/2019 5:19 pm : link
Everyone is trashing us. Hell, it's making me almost want to go to the mat for DG.
RE: This national media narrative is really starting to piss me off.  
Mr. Bungle : 3/14/2019 5:22 pm : link
In comment 14337647 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:
Quote:
Everyone is trashing us. Hell, it's making me almost want to go to the mat for DG.

It's probably good news, since the overwhelming majority of sports media hacks are complete know-nothings and using negativity to attract attention.

Just tune out the noise and make your own decision on what you think of the moves. That's all you can do.
Truth hurts  
oldutican : 3/14/2019 5:26 pm : link
You must be a polllyanna to disagree with the tone of this article.
Why do you take this shit personally?  
Oscar : 3/14/2019 5:26 pm : link
Being a fan of a team does not mean you need to support every move or carry water for management. I disagree with basically every significant decision that Gettleman has made. I disagreed with hiring Gettleman and I think he’s a fucking dope. I think Shurmur is out of his depth as a head coach. I think Eli has been finished for years.

I like the Giants but I do not agree with their approach at all, I think they are a dumb organization. I wish I rooted for a smart organization but that’s beyond my control, as a fan you are just along for the ride. The Knicks have been dumb forever and now the Giants are dumb too. At least the Giants won somewhat recently.

I don’t think there’s any harm as a fan in saying “these decisions are fucking stupid” if you think that’s the case. I am not going to “go to the mat” for DG because people in the media are accurately criticizing the organization.
Of course this article is popular  
GiantEgo : 3/14/2019 5:31 pm : link
IT sounds like one of BBI's lightly experienced 24 year olds wrote it.
Barkley  
AcidTest : 3/14/2019 5:32 pm : link
was the consensus best player in the draft, and had an incredible rookie year. The Giants were tired of Beckham. There were undoubtedly many incidents we didn't know about. They got what they could for him, which was a pretty decent haul. Everyone knew they were going to trade him, so they had no chance of getting fair market value.
RE: Of course this article is popular  
j_rud : 3/14/2019 5:38 pm : link
In comment 14337723 GiantEgo said:
Quote:
IT sounds like one of BBI's lightly experienced 24 year olds wrote it.


The whole premise of having a plan until you get punched doesn't even make sense in the context of what's been going on with the Giants. It's not like they had a plan and it was derailed bc of some unforeseen curveball. Don't get me wrong, the case can definitely be made to knock the FO. But that's just poorly written.
Gettleman  
TyreeHelmet : 3/14/2019 5:47 pm : link
I'm not saying he has a good plan or that he's made great moves as a GM. But I don't agree with the criticism of Barkely and McCaffrey. Those are 2 great players.
RE: RE: How many articles have to be produced by  
Mike from Ohio : 3/14/2019 5:53 pm : link
In comment 14337620 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
In comment 14337600 NoGainDayne said:


Quote:


different people in the media knocking certain moves and questioning the direction of this franchise before people start acknowledging that this isn't some kind of targeted hit by the media on us.

The majority of writers do not think we are doing a good job. Maybe some of them aren't good but there seems to be this idea around here that the writers that agree with us are good writers and the ones that don't are not.



Oh bullshit. The Giants are targeted by the media every fucking year. EVERY YEAR. Even our two SB wins were grudgingly accepted


I like and respect you BB, but this is homerism. There is no target on the back of the Giants that isn’t on any team when it is down.
RE: Why do you take this shit personally?  
Mike from Ohio : 3/14/2019 5:55 pm : link
In comment 14337694 Oscar said:
Quote:
Being a fan of a team does not mean you need to support every move or carry water for management. I disagree with basically every significant decision that Gettleman has made. I disagreed with hiring Gettleman and I think he’s a fucking dope. I think Shurmur is out of his depth as a head coach. I think Eli has been finished for years.

I like the Giants but I do not agree with their approach at all, I think they are a dumb organization. I wish I rooted for a smart organization but that’s beyond my control, as a fan you are just along for the ride. The Knicks have been dumb forever and now the Giants are dumb too. At least the Giants won somewhat recently.

I don’t think there’s any harm as a fan in saying “these decisions are fucking stupid” if you think that’s the case. I am not going to “go to the mat” for DG because people in the media are accurately criticizing the organization.


Excellent post. Supporting and rooting for the team doesn’t mean blindly accepting or defending every decision they make.
Brinson  
TyreeHelmet : 3/14/2019 5:56 pm : link
Writing that Beckham has the potential to be a "be a top-five wide receiver all-time."

I was a fan of Beckham and understand how talented he is. But that is an absurd statement. I honestly don't think he's a top 5 WR right now let alone of all time.

And how can he argue he's not injury prone? He's missed a ton of games.

Lastly, can he at least spell Francesa's name correctly. Its comical how bad many of these sports writers are nowadays.
What 5 WR are you putting ahead of him  
Ten Ton Hammer : 3/14/2019 5:59 pm : link
The only arguments are Hopkins, Julio Jones, Brown, and what?
For years there were complaints about  
joeinpa : 3/14/2019 6:00 pm : link
The bandaid approach, well the bandaid has been ripped off

RE: What 5 WR are you putting ahead of him  
TyreeHelmet : 3/14/2019 6:04 pm : link
In comment 14337845 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
The only arguments are Hopkins, Julio Jones, Brown, and what?


Not going to argue it's debatable. But here's my 5.

Jones
Hopkins
Brown
Hill
Thomas
Green

I just think stating he has the potential to be a top 5 WR of all time is outlandish. I also think he lost a step after the injury and doesn't possess the same breakaway explosiveness he had.

Not denying his talent, just think this has gone overboard.
RE: I Have To Say Reading This Article  
mrvax : 3/14/2019 6:09 pm : link
In comment 14337564 lax counsel said:
Quote:
This guy is pretty much spot on mainly:

5) Whose the last team to win a title with a high paid rb;


Marshawn Lynch, 2015. Oh wait...
RE: This national media narrative is really starting to piss me off.  
mrvax : 3/14/2019 6:11 pm : link
In comment 14337647 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:
Quote:
Everyone is trashing us. Hell, it's making me almost want to go to the mat for DG.


I refuse to read that shit. Let's wait 'till the games start. However, it may be a slow start with all the new faces again.
Can't judge a multi-year rebuild (and we all new it was that)  
Scuzzlebutt : 3/14/2019 7:01 pm : link
After year 1. I think DG has a vision and I like it. The previous front office lacked a vision - they just collected players.
Plan  
bc4life : 3/14/2019 7:16 pm : link
at least major parts of it, are crystal clear.

Frist thing was to fix the OLine - some guys didnt' work out but they played a helluva lot betters second half of season. Just solved RG problem - just have to lock in RT - expecting this happens in FA and maybe add one at 17th pick. Evene if they don't - will still add some rookie OL. Cutting Flowers was a big move.

Fixed the safety position. added a 3rd round cb. Haley played well.

Need pass rush - Vernon wasn't the answer, moved him and will probably be major part of 1st couple of draft picks.

Got rid of Odell. Tate should compensate some of his productivity.

Only part of plan that isn't readily apparent is Eli's successor. And we don't want that part of the plan revealed until it is executed.

Again, plan is crystal clear.
It's a valid question  
BH28 : 3/14/2019 7:48 pm : link
Everything the giants have done seem to counteract their previous actions.

1. We didn't sign him to trade him. Trade Odell.

2. The PR spin was that OBJ was a distraction to justify the trade; fine. Then sign Golden Tate who is definitely a bigger asshole than OBJ (broke into a donut shop, fought Percy Harvin, etc)? That makes no sense.

3. The re-load last year as opposed to the re-build.

Everything seems contradictory or reactionary. I'll withhold judgement until after the draft, but i don't have a lot of confidence in the front of office.

BH  
bc4life : 3/14/2019 7:51 pm : link
Look at it iver time. Don't think he planned on trading Beckham. And, no player is untradeable.

But he said - first thing they had to do was fix OLine - few misses notwithstanding, that was the initial focus.

and of this season, DG's party line has been that the defense failed to get stops.

In sum, he's continued to work on OLIne. Defense, especially front 7 will be focus of early draft picks (of course, based on value)
the plan is simple - get as many draft picks as they can  
Eric on Li : 3/14/2019 7:53 pm : link
and win as many games as they can. With the former taking precedent over the latter. If someone gave up high picks for Jackrabbit or Shepard they'd be gone too.

Whether or not Gettleman does a good job executing on the plan remains to be seen. He has to have another big time draft like last year.
RE: BH  
BH28 : 3/14/2019 7:56 pm : link
In comment 14338330 bc4life said:
Quote:
Look at it iver time. Don't think he planned on trading Beckham. And, no player is untradeable.

But he said - first thing they had to do was fix OLine - few misses notwithstanding, that was the initial focus.

and of this season, DG's party line has been that the defense failed to get stops.

In sum, he's continued to work on OLIne. Defense, especially front 7 will be focus of early draft picks (of course, based on value)


I am trying to look at it over time. Beckham was traded because he was a 'distraction'. Who do they sign? A guy who has been a bigger distraction and worse teammate than Beckham ever was.

If you want to trade Beckham, fine. Don't call him a distraction and then sign a distraction. That's how you lose credibility.
Just curious  
Joey in VA : 3/15/2019 12:10 am : link
How many super bowl teams has Will Brinson been a part of? Zero? Awesome. STFU click bait boy.
“Everyone”  
djm : 3/15/2019 12:16 am : link
Thinks it’s a bad plan because Eli hasn’t been cut and or the giants aren’t tanking.

The idea of tanking is just horse shit. And this idea that the giants aren’t building with the future in mind because Eli hasn’t been cut is more horseshit.

The giants have 12 draft picks. They have also gotten younger the last year or so. But yeah, they don’t have a plan. Fuck outta here. The plan is to add as many good players as possible. Not a hard concept.

Ps the giants are poised to have a shit load of cap room next offseason. But there is no plan. Bullshit.
What a nice world it must be to live in for djm  
NoGainDayne : 3/15/2019 1:19 am : link
"have as many good players as possible"

Perfect, let's do do that! Where do we start you say? Get rid of all the good players we have on this team many for underwhelming returns and in the case of Landon Collins maybe nothing when we have various opportunities to get something out of it?

If you think there is any chance you sign free agents this year and like everyone says no way Collins signs the tender slap that franchise tag on him like there is no tomorrow. Oh you are going to piss him off you think? Pissing off players doesn't seem to matter to DG at all in other situations but all of a sudden a potentially hostile franchise tag relationship is a problem for us?

You know what the best part about being djm is? Never needing to back up anything you say with anything other than pure conjecture.

Like has djm ever strategized before? For big life decisions does he just talk with incredibly certainty without having even a reasonably coherent framework for backing up the basis for the decision?

At least Pan handler is an endearing cockeyed optimist. djm is somehow both a blind optimist and a jerk at the same time. Much like the points he makes it is difficult to comprehend the logic.
So far the obvious part of the plan  
.McL. : 3/15/2019 5:13 am : link
Is to clear the locker room of anybody that isn't "with the program". and get as many of Reese's contracts off the books before 2020 as possible.

DG clearly wants to set his own locker room culture and have a ton of cap space going forward.

Good, bad, I don't know yet. But as far as I can see, that's the plan.
Back to the Corner