Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Giants sign Markus Golden

Big Rick in FL : 3/14/2019 6:41 pm
1 year deal
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
RE: What we seem to have done so far is replace players that we lost.  
Brown_Hornet : 3/14/2019 8:29 pm : link
In comment 14338377 Ira said:
Quote:
Obviously Tate isn't as good as Beckham, but Zeitler is better than Brown and we're probably somewhat stronger at safety. So, all in all, we're about the same, talent wise, as we were in December. But we're in better cap shape over the long hall and we have a couple of extra picks.

Keeping Beckham and Vernon and signing Collins to an expensive deal would have left us in a very weak financial position for the future. Now, we have a talent level similar to what we would have had if we played this the way everyone expected. DG is navigating free agency very intelligently. It makes me wonder how so many idiots in the media don't see this.

+1
RE: What we seem to have done so far is replace players that we lost.  
the mike : 3/14/2019 8:56 pm : link
In comment 14338377 Ira said:
Quote:
Obviously Tate isn't as good as Beckham, but Zeitler is better than Brown and we're probably somewhat stronger at safety. So, all in all, we're about the same, talent wise, as we were in December. But we're in better cap shape over the long hall and we have a couple of extra picks.

Keeping Beckham and Vernon and signing Collins to an expensive deal would have left us in a very weak financial position for the future. Now, we have a talent level similar to what we would have had if we played this the way everyone expected. DG is navigating free agency very intelligently. It makes me wonder how so many idiots in the media don't see this.


Exactly right... And good reason to be excited about the draft... The pessimism on this site is truly beyond belief... Who needs enemies with friends like this!!

With Remmers and perhaps one more free agent on defense, the Giants will head into the draft with more promise than they have had in years. As stated elsewhere, the best players available in the draft are clearly on defense... I am confident Gettleman will ruthlessly stick to best player available drafting... If so, we will have our "Barkley" on defense (Allen, Gary, Sweat etc) and then add several additional immediate starters depending on how the chips fall.

There was no easy way to excise the lost decade of abysmal drafting and abominable management of talent... progress is painful...
this is a good move  
GiantsFan84 : 3/14/2019 9:05 pm : link
a very good move
I think we will be much better this year  
gtt350 : 3/14/2019 9:12 pm : link
just new energy, players playing to make a statement, and a very exciting draft to reshape us
RE: Mistake ...IF we use it to justify  
mrvax : 3/14/2019 9:14 pm : link
In comment 14338285 idiotsavant said:
Quote:
Skipping a great front 7 player (likely drop this year) at 6,17 or 37 to slightly reach for a medium quality tackle or simply decent or possibility at wr at those spots....


He has only a 1 year deal. If he has a very good year, the Giants may not want to re-sign him for big bucks.

If they could snag a good EDGE guy, they will.
The O.V. for Zeitler thing  
idiotsavant : 3/14/2019 9:17 pm : link
Looks like an A+ move.

The Beck's thing, I get it. Ok. Fine.

Safeties ..much improved so far. Good year to stockpile picks.

I'm still 100% on using first 3 or even first 4 picks on front 7 defenders. It's the market play.
Remember, OV missed lots of time  
idiotsavant : 3/14/2019 9:20 pm : link
Guards tend to play all offensive snaps.

That said, I could easily see us drafting front 3 even, first and second rounds, if the draft falls that way.
RE: What we seem to have done so far is replace players that we lost.  
GiantGrit : 3/14/2019 9:21 pm : link
In comment 14338377 Ira said:
Quote:
Obviously Tate isn't as good as Beckham, but Zeitler is better than Brown and we're probably somewhat stronger at safety. So, all in all, we're about the same, talent wise, as we were in December. But we're in better cap shape over the long hall and we have a couple of extra picks.

Keeping Beckham and Vernon and signing Collins to an expensive deal would have left us in a very weak financial position for the future. Now, we have a talent level similar to what we would have had if we played this the way everyone expected. DG is navigating free agency very intelligently. It makes me wonder how so many idiots in the media don't see this.


I think people are ignoring some of the common traits these guys possess. Markus Golden is a phenomenal teammate, a guy with a relentless work ethic. Tore his ACL and talked about it making him work even harder. Golden Tate is another lunch pail guy. Straight up grinder.

They are going for players they deem fits for the culture they desire. I know the culture word triggers people around here, i'm not trying to piss people off...but thats the very common trait i see through the draft and free agency.

The Giants are going for that non flashy but highly effective style of play. In some ways similar to the Patriots. Some call it boring - it can be. When done right, its beautiful. Solid fundamentals and wearing teams down over a game.

Key phrase - when done right.
RE: The O.V. for Zeitler thing  
nygiants16 : 3/14/2019 9:22 pm : link
In comment 14338464 idiotsavant said:
Quote:
Looks like an A+ move.

The Beck's thing, I get it. Ok. Fine.

Safeties ..much improved so far. Good year to stockpile picks.

I'm still 100% on using first 3 or even first 4 picks on front 7 defenders. It's the market play.


remeber you have lorenzo carter to who the giants love..

front 7 of carter, hill, timlinson, wynn, golden, goodson and ogletree is young and hungry...

I would like to add Houston as a vet in the linebacker room
RE: RE: What we seem to have done so far is replace players that we lost.  
arcarsenal : 3/14/2019 9:24 pm : link
In comment 14338479 GiantGrit said:
Quote:
In comment 14338377 Ira said:


Quote:


Obviously Tate isn't as good as Beckham, but Zeitler is better than Brown and we're probably somewhat stronger at safety. So, all in all, we're about the same, talent wise, as we were in December. But we're in better cap shape over the long hall and we have a couple of extra picks.

Keeping Beckham and Vernon and signing Collins to an expensive deal would have left us in a very weak financial position for the future. Now, we have a talent level similar to what we would have had if we played this the way everyone expected. DG is navigating free agency very intelligently. It makes me wonder how so many idiots in the media don't see this.



I think people are ignoring some of the common traits these guys possess. Markus Golden is a phenomenal teammate, a guy with a relentless work ethic. Tore his ACL and talked about it making him work even harder. Golden Tate is another lunch pail guy. Straight up grinder.

They are going for players they deem fits for the culture they desire. I know the culture word triggers people around here, i'm not trying to piss people off...but thats the very common trait i see through the draft and free agency.

The Giants are going for that non flashy but highly effective style of play. In some ways similar to the Patriots. Some call it boring - it can be. When done right, its beautiful. Solid fundamentals and wearing teams down over a game.

Key phrase - when done right.


This stuff matters. There's going to be a ton of pushback on this shit because of Stewart and the Captain America strategy Reese came out of nowhere with a few years ago - but the culture does matter.

Talent will win you many football games - but structure is key.
Great  
AcidTest : 3/14/2019 9:32 pm : link
signing. He has a lot of talent if he's recovered. He'll be eager to do well and become a FA next year. And if he leaves, we might get a comp pick in 2021.
16  
idiotsavant : 3/14/2019 9:36 pm : link
..........Pick#6,Hill,Pick#37,

Carterolb, Pick#17, Ogletree, Wynnolb

Or

.....Pick#6,Hill,Tomlinson

Carter,#17,.........Ogletree,#37
Comparison wise  
idiotsavant : 3/14/2019 9:48 pm : link
Markus Golden's weight/40 time comps to Kerry Wynn.
RE: Comparison wise  
Anakim : 3/14/2019 10:02 pm : link
In comment 14338545 idiotsavant said:
Quote:
Markus Golden's weight/40 time comps to Kerry Wynn.


Except Golden is shorter and more compact...
If Golden  
Dodge : 3/14/2019 10:10 pm : link
is healthy and plays 16 games, he is a total upgrade over Vernon.
RE: RE: RE: What we seem to have done so far is replace players that we lost.  
GiantGrit : 3/14/2019 10:13 pm : link
In comment 14338486 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
In comment 14338479 GiantGrit said:


Quote:


In comment 14338377 Ira said:


Quote:


Obviously Tate isn't as good as Beckham, but Zeitler is better than Brown and we're probably somewhat stronger at safety. So, all in all, we're about the same, talent wise, as we were in December. But we're in better cap shape over the long hall and we have a couple of extra picks.

Keeping Beckham and Vernon and signing Collins to an expensive deal would have left us in a very weak financial position for the future. Now, we have a talent level similar to what we would have had if we played this the way everyone expected. DG is navigating free agency very intelligently. It makes me wonder how so many idiots in the media don't see this.



I think people are ignoring some of the common traits these guys possess. Markus Golden is a phenomenal teammate, a guy with a relentless work ethic. Tore his ACL and talked about it making him work even harder. Golden Tate is another lunch pail guy. Straight up grinder.

They are going for players they deem fits for the culture they desire. I know the culture word triggers people around here, i'm not trying to piss people off...but thats the very common trait i see through the draft and free agency.

The Giants are going for that non flashy but highly effective style of play. In some ways similar to the Patriots. Some call it boring - it can be. When done right, its beautiful. Solid fundamentals and wearing teams down over a game.

Key phrase - when done right.



This stuff matters. There's going to be a ton of pushback on this shit because of Stewart and the Captain America strategy Reese came out of nowhere with a few years ago - but the culture does matter.

Talent will win you many football games - but structure is key.


Agreed Arc
He sure looked like he'd lost a step or two last year  
yatqb : 3/14/2019 10:38 pm : link
compared to before the injury. Hopefully he continues to improve from the ACL.
Bettcher  
NYFootballGiants : 3/15/2019 12:44 am : link
knows how to use the talent he's given. This is a guy he's worked with before who had a breakout season in his scheme. Great signing.
RE: If Golden  
NoGainDayne : 3/15/2019 1:37 am : link
In comment 14338607 Dodge said:
Quote:
is healthy and plays 16 games, he is a total upgrade over Vernon.


I came here to talk about how this is the second move other than Zeitler that didn't totally make me hate my life as a Giants fan and then I read this and i'm right back there.

Vernon? You mean the guy that was 3rd in the league in pressures for the 2nd half of the year last year that the Browns decided they wanted to trade a pro bowl caliber player for and pay $15.5 million dollars this year. A guy with 2.5 sacks and 10 QB hits the last 2 years compared with Vernon's 13.5 and 33 QB hits?

Adding the caveat if he's healthy and plays 16 games he's an upgrade? A guy that has actually played less games than Vernon the last two years by 8. Vernon the guy that is constantly lambasted for being injury prone. Now Golden gets to play 16 games in this spectacular fantasy land that you live in? How many games does Vernon play in this world where Golden is the model of health and an upgrade?

Why does your fantasy stop at perfect health for Golden? Can't we just have Aaron Donald instead?
This draft may have an Aron Donald in it  
idiotsavant : 3/15/2019 4:20 am : link
(Or two)

Which is the point.

Here is to hoping (Mara) wont use this as an excuse to force an O pick in Rd 1.
I would have been satisfied  
Gman11 : 3/15/2019 7:29 am : link
with Marcus Silver!
RE: RE: If Golden  
bLiTz 2k : 3/15/2019 7:39 am : link
In comment 14338755 NoGainDayne said:
Quote:
In comment 14338607 Dodge said:


Quote:


is healthy and plays 16 games, he is a total upgrade over Vernon.



I came here to talk about how this is the second move other than Zeitler that didn't totally make me hate my life as a Giants fan and then I read this and i'm right back there.

Vernon? You mean the guy that was 3rd in the league in pressures for the 2nd half of the year last year that the Browns decided they wanted to trade a pro bowl caliber player for and pay $15.5 million dollars this year. A guy with 2.5 sacks and 10 QB hits the last 2 years compared with Vernon's 13.5 and 33 QB hits?

Adding the caveat if he's healthy and plays 16 games he's an upgrade? A guy that has actually played less games than Vernon the last two years by 8. Vernon the guy that is constantly lambasted for being injury prone. Now Golden gets to play 16 games in this spectacular fantasy land that you live in? How many games does Vernon play in this world where Golden is the model of health and an upgrade?

Why does your fantasy stop at perfect health for Golden? Can't we just have Aaron Donald instead?


Iím with you Vernon totally got a bad rep by Giants fans. I didnít like the injury prone mantra, I think the guy hit some hard luck during his time here.

Where I think the comparisons hit the grey area for me, is that I actually feel Vernon is a better 4-3 end and Golden is a better 3-4 OLB. Both players are in better scheme fits for 2019 IMO. If both stay healthy I think both players are in a better fit.
yatqb  
bc4life : 3/15/2019 7:39 am : link
and he wasn't a fast explosive guy to begin with. his things seemed to be hard work, effort, and strength. I'm confident that Bettcher will get the most of what he brings to the table though.
While I liked Vernon,  
section125 : 3/15/2019 8:08 am : link
he seemed to be 1 step late all the time, when he wasn't getting a roughing the passer penalty. He played hard, gave what he could but was always injured. He beat lower level tackles, but rarely did anything against the upper level players.
My opinion is he came nowhere close to earning that big contract. It was not from lack of effort. My one word to describe him - "almost" - as in he almost got there.
RE: so does bbi see a plan or do most continue to bad mouth everything  
giantstock : 3/15/2019 8:11 am : link
In comment 14338088 plato said:
Quote:
this FO does? the emotional cycles on the site and the animosity has almost become unbearable. agree with signing of defensive Golden, wait to see about offensive Golden.
Hope to see aĒkindler and gentlerĒ bbi to say nothing of wiser.


You're kidding, right? You just started following the Giants this year? How well do you think the team has performed after 2011?
RE: RE: If Golden  
giants#1 : 3/15/2019 9:09 am : link
In comment 14338755 NoGainDayne said:
Quote:
In comment 14338607 Dodge said:


Quote:


is healthy and plays 16 games, he is a total upgrade over Vernon.



I came here to talk about how this is the second move other than Zeitler that didn't totally make me hate my life as a Giants fan and then I read this and i'm right back there.

Vernon? You mean the guy that was 3rd in the league in pressures for the 2nd half of the year last year that the Browns decided they wanted to trade a pro bowl caliber player for and pay $15.5 million dollars this year. A guy with 2.5 sacks and 10 QB hits the last 2 years compared with Vernon's 13.5 and 33 QB hits?

Adding the caveat if he's healthy and plays 16 games he's an upgrade? A guy that has actually played less games than Vernon the last two years by 8. Vernon the guy that is constantly lambasted for being injury prone. Now Golden gets to play 16 games in this spectacular fantasy land that you live in? How many games does Vernon play in this world where Golden is the model of health and an upgrade?

Why does your fantasy stop at perfect health for Golden? Can't we just have Aaron Donald instead?


Vernon definitely gets a bad rap here, largely because of the expectations that came with his contract, but I think you're selling Golden short:

1. Most of his games missed are due to a single injury that cost him most of 2017 and the start of 2018. For someone that likes stats as much as you, you sure are twisting things to suit your case.
2. Golden had 110 pressures in his first 2 seasons, both under Bettcher as a 34 OLB. In 2016 alone, he had 53 pressures (12.5 sacks which is better than OV's career high) and 41 run stops which was good for 4th most among edge defenders.



If both stay healthy, it'll be interesting to see who has the better year.
Link - ( New Window )
I really liked Vernon  
UConn4523 : 3/15/2019 9:13 am : link
always gave 110% but always had an injury to battle through. Just got snake-bit once he signed here. Also had really bad luck with closing in on sacks when all the hard work getting there was done. Just a very strange situation.

Looking forward to see if Golden can capitalize.
RE: RE: RE: If Golden  
Big Blue '56 : 3/15/2019 9:20 am : link
In comment 14339187 giants#1 said:
Quote:
In comment 14338755 NoGainDayne said:


Quote:


In comment 14338607 Dodge said:


Quote:


is healthy and plays 16 games, he is a total upgrade over Vernon.



I came here to talk about how this is the second move other than Zeitler that didn't totally make me hate my life as a Giants fan and then I read this and i'm right back there.

Vernon? You mean the guy that was 3rd in the league in pressures for the 2nd half of the year last year that the Browns decided they wanted to trade a pro bowl caliber player for and pay $15.5 million dollars this year. A guy with 2.5 sacks and 10 QB hits the last 2 years compared with Vernon's 13.5 and 33 QB hits?

Adding the caveat if he's healthy and plays 16 games he's an upgrade? A guy that has actually played less games than Vernon the last two years by 8. Vernon the guy that is constantly lambasted for being injury prone. Now Golden gets to play 16 games in this spectacular fantasy land that you live in? How many games does Vernon play in this world where Golden is the model of health and an upgrade?

Why does your fantasy stop at perfect health for Golden? Can't we just have Aaron Donald instead?



Vernon definitely gets a bad rap here, largely because of the expectations that came with his contract, but I think you're selling Golden short:

1. Most of his games missed are due to a single injury that cost him most of 2017 and the start of 2018. For someone that likes stats as much as you, you sure are twisting things to suit your case.
2. Golden had 110 pressures in his first 2 seasons, both under Bettcher as a 34 OLB. In 2016 alone, he had 53 pressures (12.5 sacks which is better than OV's career high) and 41 run stops which was good for 4th most among edge defenders.



If both stay healthy, it'll be interesting to see who has the better year. Link - ( New Window )


Understand the poster. ANYTHING DG does will come under ridicule. In fairness, he is not alone.
I just said I liked the Zeitler and Golden moves  
NoGainDayne : 3/15/2019 9:52 am : link
you are misinterpreting my points so Iíll make them again very succinctly.

Gettleman / Maraís are not following analytical frameworks that have proven to work IE sticking with an aging and declining QB, or picking an RB very high in the draft without having surrounding talent and especially a discounted formula.

Even if they were making all the right moves there is plenty of evidence that the orginization is not investing in analytical frameworks that have worked very well for other teams, some decades and are likely to become even more vital to have in the near future.

I donít think everything Gettleman does is wrong, I donít think anyone here does. I would say what is more common and strange is some suggesting everything he and the team does is right especially considering the product they have been putting on the field, and the very clear errors that Gettleman has already made.
And Iím sorry if you donít see the ridiculous in the statement  
NoGainDayne : 3/15/2019 9:53 am : link
if Golden is healthy heís an upgrade over Vernon is insane I donít know what to tell you. But again, Iíd like to reiterate I like this move
I think the way Eli's been handled has been poor  
UConn4523 : 3/15/2019 9:56 am : link
and again, if you believe DG doesn't want to move on from him I don't know what to tell you.

Mara, IMO, dictated that Eli stays. I have no doubt DG signed up for trying it but, again its my opinion, would absolutely move on from him if he could after what he saw last season. You keep lobbing all of this analytical nonsense out there like DG's has full authority to implement whatever he wants - he doesn't.

So blame the owner is my point. DG has done a lot of good here. He's also done some bad (the 2018 FA's) but I truly don't think he's allowed to implement his full vision.
RE: Bettcher  
christian : 3/15/2019 9:57 am : link
In comment 14338741 NYFootballGiants said:
Quote:
knows how to use the talent he's given. This is a guy he's worked with before who had a breakout season in his scheme. Great signing.


This general logic about using Bettcher using talent was applied to Martin, and he turned out to be a part-time, low-impact player.

Let's be real; the Giants, the market, and the player know this is a low-risk/high-reward move on a player coming off a serious injury and an unimpressive year.
RE: I think the way Eli's been handled has been poor  
Brown Recluse : 3/15/2019 10:05 am : link
In comment 14339351 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
and again, if you believe DG doesn't want to move on from him I don't know what to tell you.

Mara, IMO, dictated that Eli stays. I have no doubt DG signed up for trying it but, again its my opinion, would absolutely move on from him if he could after what he saw last season. You keep lobbing all of this analytical nonsense out there like DG's has full authority to implement whatever he wants - he doesn't.

So blame the owner is my point. DG has done a lot of good here. He's also done some bad (the 2018 FA's) but I truly don't think he's allowed to implement his full vision.


I agree with this bit on Gettleman and the owners. And I think Gettleman wants to be the fall guy because he feels thats part of his role. He said as much in his presser.
One more thing BB56  
NoGainDayne : 3/15/2019 10:14 am : link
like you Iíve been posting on this board for a long time 20 years in fact. Never in my history have I been someone thatís hypercritical of management or down on the Giants. I did start a Cordy Glenn over David Wilson draft day thread that did turn out to be a good call but thatís really the only time I found myself really questioning something with any kind of real force.

Fast forward to last year Iím sitting at the Saints game just watching Shurmur completely bungle time-out usage by sitting on them and then overcompensating the next game using too many. Both really hurting the team with something I could build a solution for them myself in a few weeks. This is something we really enjoyed doing together up until last year. I donít know how many years we have left to do this together. Weíve seen this team even with a new GM continue to make mistakes and not show a tremendous grasp of how to value things, manage a coherent strategy (Landon Collins is glaring here) and whatís worse doesnít seem to show that they understand the type of employer you have to be to succceed in modern times with commitments to innovation, demonstrated open mindedness and a care for what your employees think of you not just how they ďbehave.Ē

I donít hate everything they they are doing but frankly even if they werenít making these mistakes along the way they are still making some massive ones with this clinginess to traditional management attitudes and refusal or perhaps inability to attract and hire high quality engineering talent. Flame me all you want, act like Iím just trying to be here to be a malcontent, sure if that makes you feel better bottom line is Iím trying to use the knowledge of my strengths (AI, systems architecture, organizational psych) and get the fan base more concerned with these things that HAVE to change sooner or later and are just flatly not being addressed or addressed quickly enough.

The people Iím arguing on the other side of? I canít understand their goals or purpose, I canít understand why they arenít more empathetic towards me or people like me that are tired of watching this and are actually bringing a perspective to the table with technology that many people donít have access to.
RE: One more thing BB56  
Big Blue '56 : 3/15/2019 10:19 am : link
In comment 14339440 NoGainDayne said:
Quote:
like you Iíve been posting on this board for a long time 20 years in fact. Never in my history have I been someone thatís hypercritical of management or down on the Giants. I did start a Cordy Glenn over David Wilson draft day thread that did turn out to be a good call but thatís really the only time I found myself really questioning something with any kind of real force.

Fast forward to last year Iím sitting at the Saints game just watching Shurmur completely bungle time-out usage by sitting on them and then overcompensating the next game using too many. Both really hurting the team with something I could build a solution for them myself in a few weeks. This is something we really enjoyed doing together up until last year. I donít know how many years we have left to do this together. Weíve seen this team even with a new GM continue to make mistakes and not show a tremendous grasp of how to value things, manage a coherent strategy (Landon Collins is glaring here) and whatís worse doesnít seem to show that they understand the type of employer you have to be to succceed in modern times with commitments to innovation, demonstrated open mindedness and a care for what your employees think of you not just how they ďbehave.Ē

I donít hate everything they they are doing but frankly even if they werenít making these mistakes along the way they are still making some massive ones with this clinginess to traditional management attitudes and refusal or perhaps inability to attract and hire high quality engineering talent. Flame me all you want, act like Iím just trying to be here to be a malcontent, sure if that makes you feel better bottom line is Iím trying to use the knowledge of my strengths (AI, systems architecture, organizational psych) and get the fan base more concerned with these things that HAVE to change sooner or later and are just flatly not being addressed or addressed quickly enough.

The people Iím arguing on the other side of? I canít understand their goals or purpose, I canít understand why they arenít more empathetic towards me or people like me that are tired of watching this and are actually bringing a perspective to the table with technology that many people donít have access to.


I totally understand your angst
RE: RE: Bettcher  
GiantGrit : 3/15/2019 11:01 am : link
In comment 14339358 christian said:
Quote:
In comment 14338741 NYFootballGiants said:


Quote:


knows how to use the talent he's given. This is a guy he's worked with before who had a breakout season in his scheme. Great signing.



This general logic about using Bettcher using talent was applied to Martin, and he turned out to be a part-time, low-impact player.

Let's be real; the Giants, the market, and the player know this is a low-risk/high-reward move on a player coming off a serious injury and an unimpressive year.


Not wrong but ignoring the fact his agent specifically mentioned reuniting with Bettcher.
I do really love how the exact same people who...  
Greg from LI : 3/15/2019 11:39 am : link
...love to run Collins down because "Durrr, he was only good two years ago" are wetting their pants in excitement over Golden....who was only good two years ago.
RE: I think the way Eli's been handled has been poor  
Greg from LI : 3/15/2019 11:43 am : link
In comment 14339351 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
So blame the owner is my point. DG has done a lot of good here. He's also done some bad (the 2018 FA's) but I truly don't think he's allowed to implement his full vision.


Those dastardly Maras are kneecapping that genius Dave Gettleman!

This is a 68 year old man who has all of, what, five years as a general manager, marked by no particular distinction, a guy who upon being canned by Carolina was there for anyone to hire. But, of course, no one was interested.....except the Giants, who almost pathologically refuse to hire anyone other than people who already worked for him.

Yet we are constantly told how we simply must have complete blind faith in everything this man does. Based on what, exactly?
RE: I do really love how the exact same people who...  
Brown Recluse : 3/15/2019 11:47 am : link
In comment 14339741 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
...love to run Collins down because "Durrr, he was only good two years ago" are wetting their pants in excitement over Golden....who was only good two years ago.


The difference is pretty clear, unless you're looking at the situation with some sort of negative bias (which you do all the time)

Collins play didn't drop because he was hurt. His deficiencies were exposed over and over again on the field. Golden was an ascending player who simply got hurt. If he's fully healed, there's no reason to believe he won't be good again. And its perfectly fine to hope thats the case.
.  
arcarsenal : 3/15/2019 11:49 am : link
Golden is a win-win - either he returns to form, helps us out, and nets us compensation if he walks for a big, longer-term deal - and if he sucks, or gets hurt again, it's a 1 year commit and we have no dead money or long-term BS to worry about.

Can't really see any way to not like it. There's virtually zero risk and tangible benefit.
Actually, I think it's one of the few smart things Mr. Magoo has done  
Greg from LI : 3/15/2019 11:52 am : link
It's a low risk signing with some upside potential, but let's not pretend that we just signed Reggie White Jr, either.
RE: I do really love how the exact same people who...  
giants#1 : 3/15/2019 11:54 am : link
In comment 14339741 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
...love to run Collins down because "Durrr, he was only good two years ago" are wetting their pants in excitement over Golden....who was only good two years ago.


Collins missed a season due to an ACL tear? Collins did switch from a 43 D to a 34 D (reverse of Golden) but that shouldn't be as big a change for a SS as an OLB/edge rusher.
RE: Actually, I think it's one of the few smart things Mr. Magoo has done  
Brown Recluse : 3/15/2019 11:55 am : link
In comment 14339792 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
It's a low risk signing with some upside potential, but let's not pretend that we just signed Reggie White Jr, either.


No one's pretending he's Reggie White, Greg. Lets not exaggerate.
RE: Actually, I think it's one of the few smart things Mr. Magoo has done  
giants#1 : 3/15/2019 11:56 am : link
In comment 14339792 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
It's a low risk signing with some upside potential, but let's not pretend that we just signed Reggie White Jr, either.


More like we replaced Vernon with a comparable player while significantly upgrading the OL.
RE: Actually, I think it's one of the few smart things Mr. Magoo has done  
arcarsenal : 3/15/2019 12:54 pm : link
In comment 14339792 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
It's a low risk signing with some upside potential, but let's not pretend that we just signed Reggie White Jr, either.


I don't think anyone here is pretending that...
I donít think anyone thinks Collins sucks bc he had 1 bad yr either  
Eric on Li : 3/15/2019 1:11 pm : link
He may not be the best scheme fit here but heís a good player and we are going to miss him.
Watch, Collins will wind up as an all-pro LB,  
Big Blue '56 : 3/15/2019 1:39 pm : link
something he didnít want to play here
Were the numbers posted yet? This is peanuts  
Brown Recluse : 3/15/2019 1:42 pm : link
Patricia Traina

Verified account

@Patricia_Traina
47s47 seconds ago
More
Markus Golden: 1 year deal worth up to $3.75M with $2.225M gtd, per source.
Great job  
AcesUp : 3/15/2019 1:46 pm : link
That's a signing right there.
That's a good signing  
ajr2456 : 3/15/2019 1:51 pm : link
Hopefully he returns to pre injury form and we keep him
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner