Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Shepard possibly going to Patriots?

Pete from Woodstock : 3/18/2019 1:30 pm
According to ESPNís Mike Reiss (@mikereisspatriots) WR Sterling Shepard is becoming a potential trade candidate for the #Patriots. Sterling Shepard is entering the final year of his rookie contract. Reiss states how he thinks the #Patriots could send a 2nd Round Pick for Shepard and use the money they were going give new Titans WR Adam Humphries to extend Sterling Shepard before he hits the free agent market in 2020.
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
RE: He would go to the Pro Bowl  
Brown Recluse : 3/18/2019 2:14 pm : link
In comment 14345382 KWALL2 said:
Quote:
After 1 season in NE.


I doubt it. But if so, good for him.
I'd take a 3rd at this point  
RobCarpenter : 3/18/2019 2:14 pm : link
The Giants have much, much bigger needs on D than they do at WR. A WR corps of Tate, Coleman, and Latimer, with JAGs as backup, is fine with me.
RE: He would go to the Pro Bowl  
dep026 : 3/18/2019 2:15 pm : link
In comment 14345382 KWALL2 said:
Quote:
After 1 season in NE.


His snaps are reduced because their slot guy is already better.
RE: RE: Everyone crapped on the WR corps  
giants#1 : 3/18/2019 2:17 pm : link
In comment 14345274 DC Gmen Fan said:
Quote:
In comment 14345231 jcn56 said:


Quote:


but Belichick wanted both OBJ and Shepard (if this report is accurate).



Meh he also brought in ochocinco and donte stallworth. I wouldnít say he has a magic sense of a WR that everyone is missing something.


And Josh Gordon and 50 other WRs. And I'm sure BB wanted OBJ for 50 cents on the dollar.

In fact, trading for Shepard and then extending him is the opposite to their normal approach at WR. I think Amendola was one of the few they've actually signed in FA. Usually they look for disgruntled stars (Moss, Ochocinco, Gordon, etc) that they can get for cheap and try and squeeze something out of.

Giants  
PaulN : 3/18/2019 2:18 pm : link
Would not trade Shepard to the Pats for anything less then their second round pick, and that is for certain, otherwise they can go screw.
RE: RE: He would go to the Pro Bowl  
giants#1 : 3/18/2019 2:19 pm : link
In comment 14345412 dep026 said:
Quote:
In comment 14345382 KWALL2 said:


Quote:


After 1 season in NE.



His snaps are reduced because their slot guy is already better.


Edelman is not better than Shepard. He just has Brady throwing him the ball in an offense designed around short/intermediate passes.

And Edelman will be 33 this season and has missed a lot of games over his career (suspensions/injuries).
RE: I'd be fine with this  
djm : 3/18/2019 2:19 pm : link
In comment 14345277 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
It would make a mockery of Mr. Magoo's "We're going to compete this year" protestations, but it's a smart long-term move.

Which is why I doubt it happens.


Unless the giants want to try and keep shep long term. Iím sure you will allow for some variances in the whole equation. Thanks in advance.

Or, this could all be bullshit and no one is offering anything for shep.
RE: A 2nd for Shepard is a steal  
chuckydee9 : 3/18/2019 2:20 pm : link
In comment 14345255 Mike from Ohio said:
Quote:
Which is why I doubt the Patriots would give that up. That is a lot to give up for a one year rental.

People don't understand 1 year rentals? I'd definetely give up the 62nd pick for a WR that I like and won't mind paying $10M+ for.. for 62nd pick you get the player and get to negotiate with him by your self with no one else involved.. if things don't work out because the player wants too much money.. then you get the 90th pick in return.. so 1 year rental cost you 30 spots.. if things work out you get a player at a much higher discount than a free agent.. We essentially paid much more for a older version of Shepard..
RE: He would go to the Pro Bowl  
djm : 3/18/2019 2:21 pm : link
In comment 14345382 KWALL2 said:
Quote:
After 1 season in NE.


100 catches in his sleep up there. Shit he might do that here in 2019. The OL is going to be functional, something Shepard hasnít experienced since being drafted.
RE: Giants  
arcarsenal : 3/18/2019 2:23 pm : link
In comment 14345424 PaulN said:
Quote:
Would not trade Shepard to the Pats for anything less then their second round pick, and that is for certain, otherwise they can go screw.


For certain, huh?

Based on what? Your over-inflated view of your own opinions?
RE: RE: A 2nd for Shepard is a steal  
giants#1 : 3/18/2019 2:24 pm : link
In comment 14345430 chuckydee9 said:
Quote:
In comment 14345255 Mike from Ohio said:


Quote:


Which is why I doubt the Patriots would give that up. That is a lot to give up for a one year rental.


People don't understand 1 year rentals? I'd definetely give up the 62nd pick for a WR that I like and won't mind paying $10M+ for.. for 62nd pick you get the player and get to negotiate with him by your self with no one else involved.. if things don't work out because the player wants too much money.. then you get the 90th pick in return.. so 1 year rental cost you 30 spots.. if things work out you get a player at a much higher discount than a free agent.. We essentially paid much more for a older version of Shepard..


Golden Tate fetched a 3rd from the Eagles for half a season so a 2nd isn't that far fetched for a 1 year rental.
RE: If we got a 2nd for Shepherd  
LauderdaleMatty : 3/18/2019 2:29 pm : link
In comment 14345238 widmerseyebrow said:
Quote:
I'd be shocked.


And be very happy. Heís been a good player but they gave his money to Tate. Iím. Not sure he would have been re-signed anyway. He would kill itin NE
RE: I'd take a 3rd at this point  
BillKo : 3/18/2019 2:29 pm : link
In comment 14345409 RobCarpenter said:
Quote:
The Giants have much, much bigger needs on D than they do at WR. A WR corps of Tate, Coleman, and Latimer, with JAGs as backup, is fine with me.


Uh yeah, but aren't Latimer and Coleman the definition of JAGs?

So you got JAGs backing up JAGs...lol............

If Shep is traded they're drafting WR fairly certain......
RE: RE: RE: He would go to the Pro Bowl  
BillKo : 3/18/2019 2:30 pm : link
In comment 14345426 giants#1 said:
Quote:
In comment 14345412 dep026 said:


Quote:


In comment 14345382 KWALL2 said:


Quote:


After 1 season in NE.



His snaps are reduced because their slot guy is already better.



Edelman is not better than Shepard. He just has Brady throwing him the ball in an offense designed around short/intermediate passes.

And Edelman will be 33 this season and has missed a lot of games over his career (suspensions/injuries).


Edelman is not a HOF, but c'mon already...he's better than Sheppard.

Dude is tough as nails and clutch.
Shep's pretty tough too  
giants#1 : 3/18/2019 2:35 pm : link
And averages a higher yards/reception than Edelman. And is younger with more upside than Edelman.

As for "clutch", who knows if Shep is clutch since the Giants are never in that position.



I can't see how DG  
DavidinBMNY : 3/18/2019 2:57 pm : link
Doesn't continue to liquidate assets. IMHO the two remaining assets are Shepard and Jenkins and both should be available via trade both now and at the trade line.

I like Shepard and would prefer he stays, but it's a rebuild and why would you pay Shepard a ton when you stink?
No way  
TMS : 3/18/2019 3:00 pm : link
after losing OBJ, that it happens. Unless we are conceding next season again, which I doubt.He may be our best WR now. Looked like it last year. Unless we have plans to convert Engram to Outside as a WR and get a new receiving TE. Could be a plan if we take a TE at #18.
It's been out there a few days  
JonC : 3/18/2019 3:06 pm : link
Reiss is behind.
This sounds like one of those deals....  
Reb8thVA : 3/18/2019 3:13 pm : link
that if it gets done it will get done on draft day or a few days before.
Guess if DG and staff think Cody Latimer  
TMS : 3/18/2019 3:22 pm : link
will develop into the real deal, it is a possibility. He has the speed.size and hands. But for more than their #3 pick.
RE: I can't see how DG  
jcn56 : 3/18/2019 3:25 pm : link
In comment 14345562 DavidinBMNY said:
Quote:
Doesn't continue to liquidate assets. IMHO the two remaining assets are Shepard and Jenkins and both should be available via trade both now and at the trade line.

I like Shepard and would prefer he stays, but it's a rebuild and why would you pay Shepard a ton when you stink?


For the same reason you sign an older Tate to the same position for a bunch of money, or retain Eli - because you have no idea what you're doing.
Can we trade Tate to NE?  
KWALL2 : 3/18/2019 3:27 pm : link
I'll take a 7th for him.
Rahter get the Pat's 2020 2nd rounder  
Bill L : 3/18/2019 3:29 pm : link
probably higher in the draft and builds capital for us to move up.
This draft is deep in talented wr's  
ChicagoMarty : 3/18/2019 3:30 pm : link
We could use the Pats #2 to draft an OL or ER or ILB that can cover or a CB that can cover.

In other words, we have a lot of holes to fill.

Wrs can be had later on in the draft where we have a plethora of picks

Take the deal!
New England  
allstarjim : 3/18/2019 3:30 pm : link
has #56 and #64 in the 2nd. I doubt we get a player as good as Shepard with either of those picks.

After seeing Shepard deliver as many tremendous blocks that he did springing Saquon, you want that compliment. He's a terrific route runner with reliable hands, something that any new QB will need...a veteran player that will be at the spot he expects him to be.

The Giants will have have tons of cap room after next season, I think you get him on a 4 year $50 million deal because he's everything you want in a teammate, he's a grinder, and he is going to perform, and he makes your best player in Saquon better.

Salary cap will not be a concern, and at some point you have to keep some of your talent on the roster.
You could draft Hakeem Butler  
ChicagoMarty : 3/18/2019 3:34 pm : link
with one of the Pats second rounders

Hakeem Butler could be the second coming of Plaxico Burress

Eli loves big wr targets
I think we should trade every vet  
allstarjim : 3/18/2019 3:36 pm : link
And field 53 rookies next year.
Make this happen  
Brown Recluse : 3/18/2019 3:38 pm : link
.
RE: New England  
Brown Recluse : 3/18/2019 3:40 pm : link
In comment 14345675 allstarjim said:
Quote:
has #56 and #64 in the 2nd. I doubt we get a player as good as Shepard with either of those picks.


This assumes that after pick 40 (where Shepard was picked) there aren't any players as good as he is.

There's no logic in this at all.
Nothing to do with Latimer et al  
JonC : 3/18/2019 3:41 pm : link
it's probably about getting a #2 draft pick to re-purpose on a big man. DG is hell bent on upgrading the lines ...
RE: You could draft Hakeem Butler  
montanagiant : 3/18/2019 3:45 pm : link
In comment 14345691 ChicagoMarty said:
Quote:
with one of the Pats second rounders

Hakeem Butler could be the second coming of Plaxico Burress

Eli loves big wr targets

I would be ecstatic if this happened
RE: RE: New England  
allstarjim : 3/18/2019 3:46 pm : link
In comment 14345702 Brown Recluse said:
Quote:
In comment 14345675 allstarjim said:


Quote:


has #56 and #64 in the 2nd. I doubt we get a player as good as Shepard with either of those picks.




This assumes that after pick 40 (where Shepard was picked) there aren't any players as good as he is.

There's no logic in this at all.


Has nothing to do with where Shepard was picked. I simply have great respect for Shepard and his game. Of course there will be very good players at #56 and at #64. However, I play odds. And the odds aren't good you are going to get a player as good as Shepard. You know what that is? What is logical is when you have a player that makes your team better, you try to keep that player over an unknown entity. To me Shepard is worth the investment.
I was expecting  
darren in pdx : 3/18/2019 3:50 pm : link
a 4th for Shep if heís traded. 2nd would be a good get for him.
RE: Nothing to do with Latimer et al  
darren in pdx : 3/18/2019 3:51 pm : link
In comment 14345706 JonC said:
Quote:
it's probably about getting a #2 draft pick to re-purpose on a big man. DG is hell bent on upgrading the lines ...


As he should be, poor line play has been reason this team has been so poor since 2012.
Shep replacement  
Pan-handler : 3/18/2019 3:54 pm : link
Watch this vid and tell me this guy doesn't get you excited for a monster WR. Big, can juke, and get separation downfield.


Beast Mode - ( New Window )
RE: RE: Everyone crapped on the WR corps  
djm : 3/18/2019 4:13 pm : link
In comment 14345298 Boy Cord said:
Quote:
In comment 14345231 jcn56 said:


Quote:


but Belichick wanted both OBJ and Shepard (if this report is accurate).



Nobody crapped on OBJ and SS. That was a great duo. I am crapping on the WRs now that OBJ is gone. Weíre picking top 3 in 2020 and Iím okay with that. This is a tear down.


You keep saying this. Itís not a tear down and thereís no way in hell this team picks top 5 next season. They traded Beckham for multiple player/assets. Doesnít mean itís a tear down.
I don't think the Patriots value their picks as much as BBIers do.  
81_Great_Dane : 3/18/2019 4:41 pm : link
Have you looked at their draft history? Not a lot of famous names on there. They view personnel differently than most teams, and certainly differently from most BBIers.

If they think Shepard fits their system, I could see them deciding that's more valuable to them than their 2nd-rounder in 2019.
Take this deal immediately  
ArlingtonMike : 3/18/2019 5:24 pm : link
Shep is a nice player but youíre not signing him for 10M per next year

I would even consider a 3 this year and grab a center. Donít think they are getting a two.

Donít make the same mistake as Collins. Another good player with a major hole in their game that is not worth the excessive money. Shep does nothing especially well except block. Doesnt get separation and hands are suspect at times.

Would likely do better in NE but donít even start to compare him to Edelman who is on a whole nother level
RE: Shep's pretty tough too  
adamg : 3/18/2019 5:26 pm : link
In comment 14345488 giants#1 said:
Quote:


As for "clutch", who knows if Shep is clutch since the Giants are never in that position.




Sad but true. Shep was/is a key spot guy for us though. Lots of third down conversions.
RE: Take this deal immediately  
pjcas18 : 3/18/2019 5:29 pm : link
In comment 14345976 ArlingtonMike said:
Quote:
Shep is a nice player but youíre not signing him for 10M per next year

I would even consider a 3 this year and grab a center. Donít think they are getting a two.

Donít make the same mistake as Collins. Another good player with a major hole in their game that is not worth the excessive money. Shep does nothing especially well except block. Doesnt get separation and hands are suspect at times.

Would likely do better in NE but donít even start to compare him to Edelman who is on a whole nother level


What was the mistake with Collins? Not taking a later pick (4th round) instead of the the comp pick (they'll likely get (3rd round) in the 2020 draft?

I sure hope they don't do that again, maybe they should panic and take a 6th or 7th round pick for Shepard if that's all anyone offers, you know because the more draft picks the better because the Giants have many holes to fill.
If they get a 4th for Collins I would be pleased  
ArlingtonMike : 3/18/2019 5:56 pm : link
Draft picks or comp picks, itís Still the same philosophy of using assets at the end of their contracts in exchange for picks. I would rather have received the pick this year to develop since itís a deep draft at OL and DL). Comp picks can be a bit of a crap shoot, so guarantee is preferred.

Either way, heís making moves that make sense for building a new culture centered around Saquon.
Is there any reason to think  
j_rud : 3/18/2019 6:08 pm : link
this is nothing more than "connect the dots" speculation? No one has touched on it other than Pats beat writers. I mean, it's a no brainer if true. I think a 3rd is a no brainer.
Shep  
Dragon : 3/18/2019 6:30 pm : link
Is a good slot WR but in truth our WRís save one OBJ are highly overrated, now is that the players, coaches, Eli or combination damn if anyone knows. Will he excell with the Pats most likely they are light years ahead of the Giants on gameplans thatís got to help players. Today with the lesson this team should have learned from the LC nontrade you hope for the second but run up to take the third round for this draft. They are in full rebuild mold it is what it is, no more no less.
Since we're rebuilding, we might as well trade him.  
Dave in Hoboken : 3/18/2019 6:32 pm : link
He'd most likely have the best year of his career his first year there, as well.
RE: RE: You could draft Hakeem Butler  
Blue21 : 3/18/2019 6:38 pm : link
In comment 14345713 montanagiant said:
Quote:
In comment 14345691 ChicagoMarty said:


Quote:


with one of the Pats second rounders

Hakeem Butler could be the second coming of Plaxico Burress

Eli loves big wr targets


I would be ecstatic if this happened


sign me up for this
I donít see this happening ...  
jayg5 : 3/18/2019 7:13 pm : link
Pats will make it work with Bruce Ellington
and Maurice Harris somehow
I would not trade Shep..  
prdave73 : 3/18/2019 11:02 pm : link
Not even for a 2nd rd, especially to those dirty ass Pats. This would be truly stupid. Don't give up all your talent..
RE: I would not trade Shep..  
UConn4523 : 3/18/2019 11:12 pm : link
In comment 14346594 prdave73 said:
Quote:
Not even for a 2nd rd, especially to those dirty ass Pats. This would be truly stupid. Don't give up all your talent..


We arenít franchising him so unless we plan on extending him then a trade is worth looking for. Not saying do it at all costs but it has to be considered.
This is practically a done deal as Mike Francessa  
Bubba : 3/20/2019 3:39 pm : link
just said he highly doubt's the Giants trade Shep.
RE: RE: I would not trade Shep..  
adamg : 3/21/2019 3:14 am : link
In comment 14346604 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
In comment 14346594 prdave73 said:


Quote:


Not even for a 2nd rd, especially to those dirty ass Pats. This would be truly stupid. Don't give up all your talent..



We arenít franchising him so unless we plan on extending him then a trade is worth looking for. Not saying do it at all costs but it has to be considered.


That guy is a troll in the Yankee threads. I wouldn't give them too much credence.
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner