Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Gettleman: "If everything works out, probably."

Eric from BBI : Admin : 3/19/2019 7:51 am
This was Gettleman's answer to Francesa asking, "There should be another quarterback added this year?"

To me, the key part is "if everything works out."

It sounds to me like they know who they want and they have a realistic scenario in mind as to that guy being available to them on Draft Day.

Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
RE: RE: I do find it interesting  
Ten Ton Hammer : 3/19/2019 9:02 am : link
In comment 14346805 crick n NC said:
Quote:
In comment 14346800 ajr2456 said:


Quote:


To the beat writers he was smug and saying ďitís not my job to tell you the planĒ but Mike asks and he says how they want to add a QB and probably will if everything works out.



Is anything about Gettleman positive?
Has any of his moves been positive?

I ask that because like many on this board you seem to only find a negative side to Gettleman and his decisions.

I can't imagine there aren't any positives about him or his decisions. Why not express those from time to time?


Nobody had anything bad to say about the Vernon trade for Zeitler.
RE: As in Murray to Cardinals and Rosen in a trade to the Giants  
Justlurking : 3/19/2019 9:02 am : link
In comment 14346754 GFAN52 said:
Quote:
.


if you are taking it at face value, this is what makes sense.
RE: yeah  
Justlurking : 3/19/2019 9:04 am : link
In comment 14346807 gidiefor said:
Quote:
smoke does follow him. It really wasn't a secret that he was trying to get rid of Odell, Collins and Vernon -- the press has been all over all three for a year now

He appears to be lukewarm on the idea of QB imo. Maybe, probably, is not a real endorsement.

The Giants really need defense if they are going to be competitive -- and everything he is saying points to that he wants to be competitive.

Based on his comments I don't think he is going to trade Shep or Engram at this point -- I'm not sure about jackrabbit though. If they are going to make more moves -- which he did say they were -- and implied that everything is on the table -- jr is a likely trade suspect. The guy runs hot and cold.


Exactly - great points. The leaks have definitely continued with "poker face" Gettleman.
I've been thinking we're going to take  
Big Rick in FL : 3/19/2019 9:10 am : link
Murray for a while now. Gettleman's quotes make it seem even more likely they're going after Murray IMO
RE: RE: RE: I do find it interesting  
crick n NC : 3/19/2019 9:13 am : link
In comment 14346808 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
In comment 14346805 crick n NC said:


Quote:


In comment 14346800 ajr2456 said:


Quote:


To the beat writers he was smug and saying ďitís not my job to tell you the planĒ but Mike asks and he says how they want to add a QB and probably will if everything works out.



Is anything about Gettleman positive?
Has any of his moves been positive?

I ask that because like many on this board you seem to only find a negative side to Gettleman and his decisions.

I can't imagine there aren't any positives about him or his decisions. Why not express those from time to time?



Nobody had anything bad to say about the Vernon trade for Zeitler.


It's interesting on here. When a move happens that most agree with the critics will stay silent vs actually commending. When a move happens where their criticism blends in they aren't so silent.
LOL..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 3/19/2019 9:14 am : link
I love how overblown that comment was:

Quote:
There is still over a month for him to pull some touched by the hand of god bullshit.


The best part is that people ripped Gettleman for using it as if it was false, yet it certainly appeared he was dead on in his scouting of Barkley.

But in true BBI fashion, being dead right about something can be twisted to mean he was dead wrong and out of touch.
RE: RE: I do find it interesting  
ajr2456 : 3/19/2019 9:14 am : link
In comment 14346805 crick n NC said:
Quote:
In comment 14346800 ajr2456 said:


Quote:


To the beat writers he was smug and saying ďitís not my job to tell you the planĒ but Mike asks and he says how they want to add a QB and probably will if everything works out.



Is anything about Gettleman positive?
Has any of his moves been positive?

I ask that because like many on this board you seem to only find a negative side to Gettleman and his decisions.

I can't imagine there aren't any positives about him or his decisions. Why not express those from time to time?


Because you only quote mention the negative ones.

I was positive about the original Vernon for Zeitler trade. The Golden signing. The Sam Beal pick. The Hernandez and Carter picks.

Itís just an observation on how he seems to be friendlier and more forthcoming with the Giants radio outfit than the beat reporters. Take that how you will.
RE: RE: RE: I do find it interesting  
crick n NC : 3/19/2019 9:15 am : link
In comment 14346850 ajr2456 said:
Quote:
In comment 14346805 crick n NC said:


Quote:


In comment 14346800 ajr2456 said:


Quote:


To the beat writers he was smug and saying ďitís not my job to tell you the planĒ but Mike asks and he says how they want to add a QB and probably will if everything works out.



Is anything about Gettleman positive?
Has any of his moves been positive?

I ask that because like many on this board you seem to only find a negative side to Gettleman and his decisions.

I can't imagine there aren't any positives about him or his decisions. Why not express those from time to time?



Because you only quote mention the negative ones.

I was positive about the original Vernon for Zeitler trade. The Golden signing. The Sam Beal pick. The Hernandez and Carter picks.

Itís just an observation on how he seems to be friendlier and more forthcoming with the Giants radio outfit than the beat reporters. Take that how you will.


That's fine. Thanks for the response.
RE: RE: RE: RE: I do find it interesting  
ajr2456 : 3/19/2019 9:16 am : link
In comment 14346841 crick n NC
Quote:


It's interesting on here. When a move happens that most agree with the critics will stay silent vs actually commending. When a move happens where their criticism blends in they aren't so silent.


This is BS. There were many posters in the Zeitler thread who are critical and had positive things to say about the trade. Same with the Golden thread.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I do find it interesting  
crick n NC : 3/19/2019 9:22 am : link
In comment 14346855 ajr2456 said:
Quote:
In comment 14346841 crick n NC

Quote:




It's interesting on here. When a move happens that most agree with the critics will stay silent vs actually commending. When a move happens where their criticism blends in they aren't so silent.



This is BS. There were many posters in the Zeitler thread who are critical and had positive things to say about the trade. Same with the Golden thread.


It's a common thing on here. I've been on this board a long time. Fans pick favorites, fans take sides, which is fine, but sometimes we get our heels dug in so far that when something goes against what we are preaching we either spin or ignore. I certainly was a part of that regarding Manning in the past. There are fans who didn't like Gettleman the day he was hired, some of those fans are really missed that he traded their favorite player.
Pissed  
crick n NC : 3/19/2019 9:23 am : link
.
I pretty much agree with everything Joey said.  
Brown Recluse : 3/19/2019 9:23 am : link
And I like that Gettleman doesn't tell us anything. Some people get too emotional and take it personally when what he says one thing to the media and then does something else.
But they need to realize there's 31 other teams listening to what he says as well. This was a big issue when Jerry Reese was here. How many times did the Giants get leapfrogged in the draft because everyone knew what they were doing?

I have no idea what they're going to do and I'm fine with that. Have some patience and let it play out. But then again, I grew up in an era where I got my news from the newspaper and magazine subscriptions and it wasn't spoon fed to me on the internet.
Giants  
Sammo85 : 3/19/2019 9:24 am : link
are not trading up for a QB nor taking one at 6.

I think people are beginning to lose their minds splitting words and sentences and hairs alike when it comes to our QB situation and Gettlemans words.

If everything works out can mean a lot of things and is generalized. Working out could mean a QB dropping into around Rounds 2 or 3 that they like.
RE: LOL..  
Justlurking : 3/19/2019 9:25 am : link
In comment 14346849 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
I love how overblown that comment was:



Quote:


There is still over a month for him to pull some touched by the hand of god bullshit.



The best part is that people ripped Gettleman for using it as if it was false, yet it certainly appeared he was dead on in his scouting of Barkley.

But in true BBI fashion, being dead right about something can be twisted to mean he was dead wrong and out of touch.


The ripping it was the speaking in superlatives before the draft was dumb. Whether the analysis of the player was correct is not the point. The point is that every team in the league knew that the Giants wanted Barkley.
RE: I've been thinking we're going to take  
Sammo85 : 3/19/2019 9:27 am : link
In comment 14346835 Big Rick in FL said:
Quote:
Murray for a while now. Gettleman's quotes make it seem even more likely they're going after Murray IMO


No it doesnít. Youíre extrapolating your own bias on what you want to happen.
RE: RE: I think  
Mr. Bungle : 3/19/2019 9:31 am : link
In comment 14346806 Justlurking said:
Quote:
In comment 14346740 Joey in VA said:


Quote:


He's a better poker player than folks realize. He wasn't fond of Jerry Reese philosophically and we had tremendous leaks when he was here. We got leap frogged repeatedly in the draft because of what was leaked to reporters. I don't think he's telling Mike anything real.



I'll believe this when i see it. Right now there is nothing that supports it. Barkley was as telegraphed as any player to any team ever was. And Lots of people also had the Giants in on Hernandez. There is still over a month for him to pull some touched by the hand of god bullshit.

Your post makes absolutely no sense.

Gettleman didn't make his "hand of God" comment until AFTER drafting Barkley. The Barkley pick was not telegraphed, period. And lots of people on here wanted Hernandez badly, once he slipped out of the 1st round. That doesn't mean Gettleman telegraphed that pick, either.

Some of you people deserve to have Reese and Ross back.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I do find it interesting  
Justlurking : 3/19/2019 9:32 am : link
In comment 14346866 crick n NC said:
Quote:
In comment 14346855 ajr2456 said:


Quote:


In comment 14346841 crick n NC

Quote:




It's interesting on here. When a move happens that most agree with the critics will stay silent vs actually commending. When a move happens where their criticism blends in they aren't so silent.



This is BS. There were many posters in the Zeitler thread who are critical and had positive things to say about the trade. Same with the Golden thread.



It's a common thing on here. I've been on this board a long time. Fans pick favorites, fans take sides, which is fine, but sometimes we get our heels dug in so far that when something goes against what we are preaching we either spin or ignore. I certainly was a part of that regarding Manning in the past. There are fans who didn't like Gettleman the day he was hired, some of those fans are really missed that he traded their favorite player.


I just think he says dumb things with an arrogance that he hasnt deserved. I also don't think that he understands basic asset management (buy low, sell high) and has gotten rid of productive players for the sake of change (JPP, Okwara and Kennard had 27 sacks combined last season - Giants had 30) while replacing them with tomato cans. His draft was good, but his QB evaluation seems to be terrible. Jury is still out obviously and I hope he has a tremendous draft that sets the franchise up for the next 5-8 seasons.
RE: RE: RE: I think  
Justlurking : 3/19/2019 9:37 am : link
In comment 14346898 Mr. Bungle said:
Quote:
In comment 14346806 Justlurking said:


Quote:


In comment 14346740 Joey in VA said:


Quote:


He's a better poker player than folks realize. He wasn't fond of Jerry Reese philosophically and we had tremendous leaks when he was here. We got leap frogged repeatedly in the draft because of what was leaked to reporters. I don't think he's telling Mike anything real.



I'll believe this when i see it. Right now there is nothing that supports it. Barkley was as telegraphed as any player to any team ever was. And Lots of people also had the Giants in on Hernandez. There is still over a month for him to pull some touched by the hand of god bullshit.


Your post makes absolutely no sense.

Gettleman didn't make his "hand of God" comment until AFTER drafting Barkley. The Barkley pick was not telegraphed, period. And lots of people on here wanted Hernandez badly, once he slipped out of the 1st round. That doesn't mean Gettleman telegraphed that pick, either.

Some of you people deserve to have Reese and Ross back.


Sorry, i confused his superlatives over Barkely. Attached is an article where he gushes over Barkley and telegraphs his draft strategy.

It was the league's worst kept secret that they were taking Barkley. That's from someone who was in another team's war room.
his mother couldve scouted saquon - ( New Window )
Of course there were leaks about a trade...  
Dan in the Springs : 3/19/2019 9:41 am : link
doesn't mean they were coming from him or the Giants front office. It's impossible to have discussions with other teams about potential trades and at the same time completely conceal those discussions. Other teams talk to the media too you know.

I hate how history is re-written. Supposedly EVERYONE knew that Barkley was going to be the pick before the draft. Sure, everyone knew the Giants liked him, and after the fact you can put two and two together to see a telegraphing of the Giants intent at #2. Having said that, how many were ready to put their life savings on the line because they KNEW DG wasn't going to pick Darnold? BS. Go back to draft day and look at the reactions to the Barkley pick. The site exploded with people who couldn't believe he'd taken SB.

Nobody knows the Giants plans for the draft, at least not until extremely close to the selection.

Next year we'll hear how everyone knew the Giants were taking Haskins, or maybe Jones, or Murray, or whoever they end up with. They'll point to specific moments where those things were speculated as "evidence" and how DG telegraphed the pick a month in advance.

Make some money - those of you who know so much about what the Giants will be doing. You'll be happier that way, and I'll be happy for you.
RE: RE: I think  
Joey in VA : 3/19/2019 9:43 am : link
In comment 14346806 Justlurking said:
Quote:
In comment 14346740 Joey in VA said:


Quote:


He's a better poker player than folks realize. He wasn't fond of Jerry Reese philosophically and we had tremendous leaks when he was here. We got leap frogged repeatedly in the draft because of what was leaked to reporters. I don't think he's telling Mike anything real.



I'll believe this when i see it. Right now there is nothing that supports it. Barkley was as telegraphed as any player to any team ever was. And Lots of people also had the Giants in on Hernandez. There is still over a month for him to pull some touched by the hand of god bullshit.
That was pick 2 not 6. I think it's a big difference.
If we passed on  
ryanmkeane : 3/19/2019 10:03 am : link
Darnold, Allen, Rosen, a chance at Murray or Haskins...to draft Daniel Jones, I just....i just don't know what I will feel. But it will not be happiness.
Sammo  
ryanmkeane : 3/19/2019 10:04 am : link
I think Murray is absolutely the target, based on that interview, and based on the fact that Giants had every single person on hand for his pro day, including the head coach, which isn't always the case.
RE: RE: RE: RE: I think  
Jeff : 3/19/2019 10:05 am : link
In comment 14346917 Justlurking said:
Quote:
In comment 14346898 Mr. Bungle said:


Quote:


In comment 14346806 Justlurking said:


Quote:


In comment 14346740 Joey in VA said:


Quote:


He's a better poker player than folks realize. He wasn't fond of Jerry Reese philosophically and we had tremendous leaks when he was here. We got leap frogged repeatedly in the draft because of what was leaked to reporters. I don't think he's telling Mike anything real.



I'll believe this when i see it. Right now there is nothing that supports it. Barkley was as telegraphed as any player to any team ever was. And Lots of people also had the Giants in on Hernandez. There is still over a month for him to pull some touched by the hand of god bullshit.


Your post makes absolutely no sense.

Gettleman didn't make his "hand of God" comment until AFTER drafting Barkley. The Barkley pick was not telegraphed, period. And lots of people on here wanted Hernandez badly, once he slipped out of the 1st round. That doesn't mean Gettleman telegraphed that pick, either.

Some of you people deserve to have Reese and Ross back.



Sorry, i confused his superlatives over Barkely. Attached is an article where he gushes over Barkley and telegraphs his draft strategy.

It was the league's worst kept secret that they were taking Barkley. That's from someone who was in another team's war room. his mother couldve scouted saquon - ( New Window )


They were picking second...who was going to leap frog over us?? I honestly thought the pick was going to be a toss up between Sam Darnold and SB. Geez they had a good draft and still the bitching. We have had HORRIBLE drafts the years prior...be happy about one of the obvious positives !! :)
RE: I think they do  
Pan-handler : 3/19/2019 10:07 am : link
In comment 14346728 UberAlias said:
Quote:
Just not @6


Hope its Rosen for a 2 or 3 and something else
What is interesting ....  
MotownGIANTS : 3/19/2019 10:10 am : link
The initial plan that was in place the day we drafted Eli is actually coming to pass except for the item regarding Eli mentoring the kid 1 or 2 yrs ...

Yes the plan has had some amendments but the originally plan is what is happening ... Eli is the QB until he retires and we get multiple SBs from him.
RE: Of course there were leaks about a trade...  
Giants38 : 3/19/2019 10:10 am : link
In comment 14346929 Dan in the Springs said:
Quote:
doesn't mean they were coming from him or the Giants front office. It's impossible to have discussions with other teams about potential trades and at the same time completely conceal those discussions. Other teams talk to the media too you know.

I hate how history is re-written. Supposedly EVERYONE knew that Barkley was going to be the pick before the draft. Sure, everyone knew the Giants liked him, and after the fact you can put two and two together to see a telegraphing of the Giants intent at #2. Having said that, how many were ready to put their life savings on the line because they KNEW DG wasn't going to pick Darnold? BS. Go back to draft day and look at the reactions to the Barkley pick. The site exploded with people who couldn't believe he'd taken SB.

Nobody knows the Giants plans for the draft, at least not until extremely close to the selection.

Next year we'll hear how everyone knew the Giants were taking Haskins, or maybe Jones, or Murray, or whoever they end up with. They'll point to specific moments where those things were speculated as "evidence" and how DG telegraphed the pick a month in advance.

Make some money - those of you who know so much about what the Giants will be doing. You'll be happier that way, and I'll be happy for you.


Last year I figured it was a smokescreen. I thought it had to be as no GM would be so blatant and begged to be jumped like that. I was wrong,

Following the draft, I said that whatever was leaked this year would be accurate. It remains apparent that the Giants do not have the ability to run smokescreens. Asshats get inside info easily. Reporters sniff around and know what is going on way too easily. The day of the OBJ trade, ESPN reported an AFC North team was in deep discussions to acquire OBJ.

One thing that actually struck me from the interview was that DAG said that they could get at least three players from the OBJ trade. That would insinuate the possibility of moving down from 17 and acquiring an additional pick.
I should add  
Giants38 : 3/19/2019 10:11 am : link
Jumped meaning that the Browns would select Barkley at 1 and pick their QB at 4.
RE: RE: Of course there were leaks about a trade...  
Jeff : 3/19/2019 10:13 am : link
In comment 14347023 Giants38 said:
Quote:
In comment 14346929 Dan in the Springs said:


Quote:


doesn't mean they were coming from him or the Giants front office. It's impossible to have discussions with other teams about potential trades and at the same time completely conceal those discussions. Other teams talk to the media too you know.

I hate how history is re-written. Supposedly EVERYONE knew that Barkley was going to be the pick before the draft. Sure, everyone knew the Giants liked him, and after the fact you can put two and two together to see a telegraphing of the Giants intent at #2. Having said that, how many were ready to put their life savings on the line because they KNEW DG wasn't going to pick Darnold? BS. Go back to draft day and look at the reactions to the Barkley pick. The site exploded with people who couldn't believe he'd taken SB.

Nobody knows the Giants plans for the draft, at least not until extremely close to the selection.

Next year we'll hear how everyone knew the Giants were taking Haskins, or maybe Jones, or Murray, or whoever they end up with. They'll point to specific moments where those things were speculated as "evidence" and how DG telegraphed the pick a month in advance.

Make some money - those of you who know so much about what the Giants will be doing. You'll be happier that way, and I'll be happy for you.



Last year I figured it was a smokescreen. I thought it had to be as no GM would be so blatant and begged to be jumped like that. I was wrong,

Following the draft, I said that whatever was leaked this year would be accurate. It remains apparent that the Giants do not have the ability to run smokescreens. Asshats get inside info easily. Reporters sniff around and know what is going on way too easily. The day of the OBJ trade, ESPN reported an AFC North team was in deep discussions to acquire OBJ.

One thing that actually struck me from the interview was that DAG said that they could get at least three players from the OBJ trade. That would insinuate the possibility of moving down from 17 and acquiring an additional pick.


Wouldnt the 3 be the 1st, the 3rd, and Jabril Peppers ?
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I think  
Justlurking : 3/19/2019 10:16 am : link
In comment 14347009 Jeff said:
Quote:


They were picking second...who was going to leap frog over us?? I honestly thought the pick was going to be a toss up between Sam Darnold and SB. Geez they had a good draft and still the bitching. We have had HORRIBLE drafts the years prior...be happy about one of the obvious positives !! :)


The discussion is about whether or not Gettleman is secretive or telegraphs his moves. Based on the evidence so far he telegraphs his moves. Youre moving the goal line now to its ok to telegraph moves when you pick second. All i am saying is letís see how this plays out before we proclaim DG Phil Ivey. He simply hasnít earned that reputation so far.
RE: I should add  
Jeff : 3/19/2019 10:16 am : link
In comment 14347026 Giants38 said:
Quote:
Jumped meaning that the Browns would select Barkley at 1 and pick their QB at 4.


They couldnt jump us if they wanted "their" QB knowing if they took SB we would then be forced to take a QB and the Jets were definitely taking one right after us at 3
Why do people keep bringing up Rosen  
ArcadeSlumlord : 3/19/2019 10:20 am : link
a guy who is going to be out of the league soon? Tebow will have played longer in the NFL when all is said and done. Rosen is NOT a leader of men, on or off the field. That does not bode well for an NFL QB regardless of their talent.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I think  
Jeff : 3/19/2019 10:20 am : link
In comment 14347040 Justlurking said:
Quote:
In comment 14347009 Jeff said:


Quote:




They were picking second...who was going to leap frog over us?? I honestly thought the pick was going to be a toss up between Sam Darnold and SB. Geez they had a good draft and still the bitching. We have had HORRIBLE drafts the years prior...be happy about one of the obvious positives !! :)



The discussion is about whether or not Gettleman is secretive or telegraphs his moves. Based on the evidence so far he telegraphs his moves. Youre moving the goal line now to its ok to telegraph moves when you pick second. All i am saying is letís see how this plays out before we proclaim DG Phil Ivey. He simply hasnít earned that reputation so far.


Not proclaiming him anything (TBT I had to google Phil Ivey :p) I am just saying it wasnt a known exactly who they were picking and they were in a safe spot. I wanted SD but I am not going to complain about everything he does because it isnt what I would have done. Not saying you are either btw.
My Take  
Nomad Crow on the Madison : 3/19/2019 10:23 am : link
I hope they shoot for Ryan Finley in the second round. Better than Daniel Jones.
Will Grier  
mittenedman : 3/19/2019 10:28 am : link
Even though I've been convinced Jones is the guy - if he's not, I would not be surprised at all if Grier ends up in blue.

Remember - DG personally went to see 2 guys play last year - Herbert and Grier. And Grier threw for 500 yards and 5 TDs in that game vs. Oklahoma. Hard to imagine him not being impressed and he was already impressed enough to go down there.

It certainly flies in the face of "you gotta take the guy in the 1st round" stuff though.
We've tried  
ryanmkeane : 3/19/2019 10:33 am : link
the non 1st round QB thing. The fact that they've kept Eli this long, to have the "replacement plan" be some mid tier prospect/project would be a complete slap in the face to the fan base.
maybe so ryankeane  
mittenedman : 3/19/2019 10:34 am : link
but I don't think he went to Morgantown for the scenery.

Now - did he go there to see Kyler Murray and not Grier?

Maybe.
RE: Why do people keep bringing up Rosen  
Jay on the Island : 3/19/2019 10:42 am : link
In comment 14347054 ArcadeSlumlord said:
Quote:
a guy who is going to be out of the league soon? Tebow will have played longer in the NFL when all is said and done. Rosen is NOT a leader of men, on or off the field. That does not bode well for an NFL QB regardless of their talent.

Great post. Another post with baseless accusations that are passed off as fact. Where has it ever been mentioned that Rosen is not a leader? Why is he going to be out of the league soon? Quarterbacks with far less talent like Blaine Gabbert are still bouncing around the league after all these years. At least you gave the recently turned 22 year old an entire year playing behind an offensive line that was by far the worst in football. The Cards also had one of the leagues worst WR cores and a head coach that was in so far over his head that he was fired after one season.
RE: maybe so ryankeane  
ajr2456 : 3/19/2019 10:44 am : link
In comment 14347105 mittenedman said:
Quote:
but I don't think he went to Morgantown for the scenery.

Now - did he go there to see Kyler Murray and not Grier?

Maybe.


Thereís other players on WVU. They had a very good LT and two good WR prospects.
RE: RE: I've been thinking we're going to take  
Big Rick in FL : 3/19/2019 10:53 am : link
In comment 14346883 Sammo85 said:
Quote:
In comment 14346835 Big Rick in FL said:


Quote:


Murray for a while now. Gettleman's quotes make it seem even more likely they're going after Murray IMO



No it doesnít. Youíre extrapolating your own bias on what you want to happen.


No I'm not. I don't want Kyler Murray. Never have.
The Giants are taking Daniel Jones  
twostepgiants : 3/19/2019 10:57 am : link
In rd 2
RE: yeah  
MotownGIANTS : 3/19/2019 11:07 am : link
In comment 14346807 gidiefor said:
Quote:
smoke does follow him. It really wasn't a secret that he was trying to get rid of Odell, Collins and Vernon -- the press has been all over all three for a year now

He appears to be lukewarm on the idea of QB imo. Maybe, probably, is not a real endorsement.

The Giants really need defense if they are going to be competitive -- and everything he is saying points to that he wants to be competitive.

Based on his comments I don't think he is going to trade Shep or Engram at this point -- I'm not sure about jackrabbit though. If they are going to make more moves -- which he did say they were -- and implied that everything is on the table -- jr is a likely trade suspect. The guy runs hot and cold.


The brass REALLY needs the team to competitive ... they want to soothe the savage beast ie the fans and media ... Not to mention looking like keystone cops if this goes south.

My take is we have fixed the starting OL (almost) ... we have a RB and some depth there. We are ok at the slot position at WR. Tate can play on the outside but he is a tier-2 player there his best spot is in the slot. The issue here is Sterling is also really a slot WR. Then you toss in EE that is a lot of people trying to control the mid-section of the field. So enter Coleman and Lattimore ... JAGs trying to live up to potential. So we have to go WR at 17 or 37 barring another trade for a 1st(improbable) or 2nd(Sterling maybe...rumors).


I am optimistic about the 2ndary Janoris, Beal & Co are going to surprise at CB. The S spots are nice! Also let me say with Bethea and Jenkins with have nice vet leadership to get guys in the right place, also Peppers has VERY high football IQ.

The DL and LB spots need some playmakers there. So back to the draft we go 6 & 17 both being used on the front 7 is not out of play and not a bad way to go. Then getting a RT/WR at 95. Though WR @ 17 ... DK Metcalf would not be a shocker.

The go BPA regardless to position with the rest of the draft picks. We have so many holes and needs for depth no pick can really be bad unless we go LS, P or K.


2020:
1. Next year we have mad cap $$$
2. We can get a vet QB if we choose - If one is available (Wilson)
3. The youngsters and 2018/2019 picks take the steps we hope and need we can go QB in 2020 draft and use picks to move up if we dont go the vet QB route.
the only possible takeaway  
fkap : 3/19/2019 11:10 am : link
is that he wants to get a QB somewhere, if you believe him. After that, it's a fit the rest to your narrative.
RE: RE: RE: I've been thinking we're going to take  
Sammo85 : 3/19/2019 11:11 am : link
In comment 14347174 Big Rick in FL said:
Quote:
In comment 14346883 Sammo85 said:


Quote:


In comment 14346835 Big Rick in FL said:


Quote:


Murray for a while now. Gettleman's quotes make it seem even more likely they're going after Murray IMO



No it doesnít. Youíre extrapolating your own bias on what you want to happen.



No I'm not. I don't want Kyler Murray. Never have.


Then you can sleep well as itís not happening.
I don't think #6 will be a QB  
ij_reilly : 3/19/2019 11:14 am : link
but it is in the Giants interest to make other teams think it might be.

If you're not taking a QB at 6, you want other teams to trade up in front of you to take a QB.

Pretty simple.

RE: I don't think #6 will be a QB  
Jay on the Island : 3/19/2019 11:29 am : link
In comment 14347222 ij_reilly said:
Quote:
but it is in the Giants interest to make other teams think it might be.

If you're not taking a QB at 6, you want other teams to trade up in front of you to take a QB.

Pretty simple.

Thatís my hope. If the giants donít like Haskins then I hope a team trades up in front of them to take him so an edge rusher falls to them at 6.
RE: RE: Of course there were leaks about a trade...  
Dan in the Springs : 3/19/2019 12:06 pm : link
In comment 14347023 Giants38 said:
Quote:


Last year I figured it was a smokescreen. I thought it had to be as no GM would be so blatant and begged to be jumped like that. I was wrong,

Hmmm... maybe you'll be wrong again?

Quote:
Following the draft, I said that whatever was leaked this year would be accurate. It remains apparent that the Giants do not have the ability to run smokescreens. Asshats get inside info easily. Reporters sniff around and know what is going on way too easily. The day of the OBJ trade, ESPN reported an AFC North team was in deep discussions to acquire OBJ.

LOL - first of all, the fact that the day of the trade news leaked that a trade was brewing doesn't point to DG or the NYG leaking, it could have been from the BROWNS side, no?

Secondly, you do know the difference between trade DISCUSSIONS (which are organizationally external) and draft strategies (which are internal), right?


Quote:
One thing that actually struck me from the interview was that DAG said that they could get at least three players from the OBJ trade. That would insinuate the possibility of moving down from 17 and acquiring an additional pick.


How about you read all the tea leaves and smoke you see and tell us with certainty what the Giants are planning to do - or better yet, call your bookie and make some money on it? My guess is that we'll have no less than 20 different opinions on the morning of the draft, unless the Giants trade all the way up to #1 overall, and even then there will be some who disagree that we're taking MURRAY.
Heís playing chess...  
Damon : 3/19/2019 12:14 pm : link
Itís beautiful... Its almost poetic analogy for the times... Undoing the disasters of the previous administration.
Now heís got everybody thinking heís going QB... and heís going to accumulate a few more picks and grab Jones or Tyree Jackson on day 2...
people  
BigBlueCane : 3/19/2019 3:23 pm : link
do realize that the Mara family still works in the front office and has a say in the War room, right?
Every year, like clockwork, BBI swears the GM is "telegraphing"  
Ten Ton Hammer : 3/19/2019 5:28 pm : link
Everything.

If you are confident today that you know what the picks are, you're only seeing something you want to see in these quotes.

The only thing I'm somewhat confident in is that they're not taking haskins, and I never thought they would from the start.
RE: Every year, like clockwork, BBI swears the GM is  
Zeke's Alibi : 3/19/2019 6:04 pm : link
In comment 14348288 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
Everything.

If you are confident today that you know what the picks are, you're only seeing something you want to see in these quotes.

The only thing I'm somewhat confident in is that they're not taking haskins, and I never thought they would from the start.


Yeah thats a common theme on here thats such a load of shit. There is however truth to the notion that generally whoever they are the majority of beats are reporting a couple days before the draft generally is the pick.
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner