Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Players we've shown most interest rd.1 and likely draft slot

Pan-handler : 3/24/2019 11:56 am
At #6:

Haskins

-Both DG and PS as opposed to last year have spoke openly about WANTING to add a young Qb to learn under Eli for a year. Giants generally don't do the smokescreen stuff.

-The visible excitement/ 'love-fest' at the pro-day.

-Multiple meeting with Haskins between combine and now and coming away with comments of very impressed with mannerisms and his football IQ.

-Fits personality profile of what Giants generally like in QB. Size, strong arm for Meadowland weather/winds, lunch pail work hard kind of guy not overly-outspoken.

Rashan Gary

-JonC and others have reported on this
-Of all DL he fits the Rush End prototype the best. Big bodied, long reach, strong, good measurables
-However lack of production is certainly concerning

Montez Sweat

-Alot of interest shown at Senior Bowl where he was arguably defensive MVP ragdolling OL in drills and winning matchups with one of the best in Dillard.
-Blew up Combine: 4.4 40 almost unheard of of a guy that size
-Closely fits their prototype for size/build (but not as well as Gary) . Height and arm length excellent but a touch on the light side. NYG usually like 270 and above. But he is extremely strong and it shows up on tape.





At #17:

Cody Ford

-Multiple reports on our interest and thorough scouting done on him
-Fits DGs Hog Molly prototype almost to a T. Huge Lower half and above average footwork for a man that size

Jaylon Ferguson

- Fits the size/build prototype they love (6'5 ,270) and could be available at 17
-Multiple reports of being interviewed by scouts and others in the NYG organization
-NCAA all time sack leader
-Triangle numbers not good but wins with amazing handwork, momentum based leverage, and great motor.

Greedy Williams

-Almost nothing on him. He is only listed since cover CB is such a great need in Bettcher's system that calls for pressure from all levels. Would be tremendous value here at 17 if he drops that far.


Other ER/OT:

Burns-could be there at 17
Dillard-doubtful at 17
Risner- likely there at 17 possible at 37





Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Not a fan of Gary at 5  
giantstock : 3/24/2019 1:06 pm : link
Nor am I fan of 17th pick taking Ferguson or taking Greedy.
They should interest in Murray too  
larryflower37 : 3/24/2019 1:12 pm : link
Everything they did with Haskins they did with Murray.
The whole group went to his pro day, took him to dinner etc.
I am not 100% that Murray goes to Arizona.
If we go Gary at 6  
ryanmkeane : 3/24/2019 1:21 pm : link
and Sweat is available at 17, would have a hard time not picking him there. You are getting two highly rated players on D with first two picks, and still have OL to go at 37 if they want to wait on QB. That'd be awesome.
Don't Like Haskins  
pa_giant_fan : 3/24/2019 1:29 pm : link
Defense @ 6, Sweat or Gary then either QB or OL at 17 and 37
RE: Don't Like Haskins  
giantstock : 3/24/2019 1:41 pm : link
In comment 14355091 pa_giant_fan said:
Quote:
Defense @ 6, Sweat or Gary then either QB or OL at 17 and 37


Worse than taking Gary at 6 and Greedy or Ferguson at 17 is using a pick on a QB at 17 if it is't Murray or Haskins.
No love for Hockenson?  
CromartiesKid21 : 3/24/2019 1:44 pm : link
Lowest he will go is #20 Titans according to Forbes. If he's there at #17 I hope Giants will be interested. He is the next Kelce/Kittle/Gronk
RE: Not a fan of Gary at 5  
Pan-handler : 3/24/2019 1:50 pm : link
In comment 14355079 giantstock said:
Quote:
Nor am I fan of 17th pick taking Ferguson or taking Greedy.


Not a fan of Gary either but he very much checks the top boxes on the Giants list. Think its going to be Haskins though with ER at 17 then OT at 37 (or with slight trade up).
RE: No love for Hockenson?  
Pan-handler : 3/24/2019 1:51 pm : link
In comment 14355102 CromartiesKid21 said:
Quote:
Lowest he will go is #20 Titans according to Forbes. If he's there at #17 I hope Giants will be interested. He is the next Kelce/Kittle/Gronk


I get he is a great potential 2 way at TE but With the list of needs we have, TE is pretty low on the list.
RE: RE: Don't Like Haskins  
Pan-handler : 3/24/2019 1:56 pm : link
In comment 14355100 giantstock said:
Quote:
In comment 14355091 pa_giant_fan said:


Quote:


Defense @ 6, Sweat or Gary then either QB or OL at 17 and 37



Worse than taking Gary at 6 and Greedy or Ferguson at 17 is using a pick on a QB at 17 if it is't Murray or Haskins.


I would agree with this of it is anyone outside of Haskins, Murray or Lock. Lock though inconsistent and slightly higher bust potential than Haskins or Murray, has tremendous upside.
Hoping for Haskins at 6  
732NYG : 3/24/2019 1:57 pm : link
ER at 17. If not ER, CB, though Iím not a fan of Greedy.
Gary is one of my own projections  
JonC : 3/24/2019 2:06 pm : link
no inside info on him so far.
...  
Toth029 : 3/24/2019 2:18 pm : link
Sweat is similar in height and weight as Lorenzo Carter. Why wouldn't he be in play? Gary is interesting. Could be vie for the Calais Campbell role?
RE: Gary is one of my own projections  
Pan-handler : 3/24/2019 2:43 pm : link
In comment 14355123 JonC said:
Quote:
no inside info on him so far.


Thanks for the clarification Jon. As you have probably surmised he fits our prototype pretty darn well. He checks alot of boxes that they tend to go for when it comes to DE. Nowhere near Chubb though IMO (whom they really liked last year and had the production to match.)
RE: ...  
Pan-handler : 3/24/2019 2:48 pm : link
In comment 14355141 Toth029 said:
Quote:
Sweat is similar in height and weight as Lorenzo Carter. Why wouldn't he be in play? Gary is interesting. Could be vie for the Calais Campbell role?


Carter was taken in round 3. When the Giants are selecting that high the criteria is a lot stricter. Which is why they arent likely to take White at 6 either.

Up that high its either a generational talent type, franchise level QB, total shutdown CB, Franchise level LT, or Amazing Edge rusher with double digit sack ability (with priority placed on size/speed and ability to play DE or DT at a premium).
We need to fix the Offensive Line  
GeorgeAdams33 : 3/24/2019 2:49 pm : link
Anything else is a luxury that could be filled by someone already on the roster. We have guys at every other position that are at least warm bodies who might be able to hold down the fort until better talent is brought in. On the offensive line we just don't have anyone on the roster who might make training camp competitive. We need to have at least seven guys on the roster who are ready, willing, and able if called upon. We currently have three in Solder, Hernandez, & Zeitler, but Halapio, Pulley, Wheeler, etc, etc... are not in that category. Maybe they can improve, but we need more able bodied contestants.

I like Haskins, but he won't do half as well as Eli behind this line. Eli might be able to start for a couple more years so I am not in the camp that says we must absolutely bring in a younger QB immediately. I would like to get the best players we can regardless of position, for the most part. If we can draft a QB that we like who presents good value where we decide to draft him then we should pull the trigger IF we know that he has a shot to beat out our current #3 OR if our current #3 might be ready to be the #2QB.

Which leads me back to the O-line. I am hoping that we can move down tow the 10 through 14 range and acquire some more day two picks or even future picks. I then would like to draft some combination of our favorite Offensive Linemen. Even if some were looked at as future starters we need to bring in talent. Hopefully we'd at least be getting a day one starter at RT.

I would love to draft Jawaan Taylor and Cody Ford in the first and let them compete for RT. I would trade up from pick #37 to grab Garrett Bradbury at Center. I would also draft a good Left Tackle prospect, like Isaiah Prince or Martez Ivey, on day three; that could be groomed and he could compete with Wheeler to be the backup LT. Solder and Zeitler are good players, but their age & their contracts will force us to have other players available who can step in at some point.
RE: ...  
Pan-handler : 3/24/2019 2:50 pm : link
In comment 14355141 Toth029 said:
Quote:
Sweat is similar in height and weight as Lorenzo Carter. Why wouldn't he be in play? Gary is interesting. Could be vie for the Calais Campbell role?


Sweat is also bigger and more accomplished in the pass rush department accentuated by an amazing Senior Bowl vs top OL.

No problem with Sweat there but is he big enough for what they look for that high in the draft.
RE: We need to fix the Offensive Line  
Pan-handler : 3/24/2019 2:53 pm : link
In comment 14355162 GeorgeAdams33 said:
Quote:
Anything else is a luxury that could be filled by someone already on the roster. We have guys at every other position that are at least warm bodies who might be able to hold down the fort until better talent is brought in. On the offensive line we just don't have anyone on the roster who might make training camp competitive. We need to have at least seven guys on the roster who are ready, willing, and able if called upon. We currently have three in Solder, Hernandez, & Zeitler, but Halapio, Pulley, Wheeler, etc, etc... are not in that category. Maybe they can improve, but we need more able bodied contestants.

I like Haskins, but he won't do half as well as Eli behind this line. Eli might be able to start for a couple more years so I am not in the camp that says we must absolutely bring in a younger QB immediately. I would like to get the best players we can regardless of position, for the most part. If we can draft a QB that we like who presents good value where we decide to draft him then we should pull the trigger IF we know that he has a shot to beat out our current #3 OR if our current #3 might be ready to be the #2QB.

Which leads me back to the O-line. I am hoping that we can move down tow the 10 through 14 range and acquire some more day two picks or even future picks. I then would like to draft some combination of our favorite Offensive Linemen. Even if some were looked at as future starters we need to bring in talent. Hopefully we'd at least be getting a day one starter at RT.

I would love to draft Jawaan Taylor and Cody Ford in the first and let them compete for RT. I would trade up from pick #37 to grab Garrett Bradbury at Center. I would also draft a good Left Tackle prospect, like Isaiah Prince or Martez Ivey, on day three; that could be groomed and he could compete with Wheeler to be the backup LT. Solder and Zeitler are good players, but their age & their contracts will force us to have other players available who can step in at some point.


The OL is closer than you give it credit for with the addition of Zietler.


We arent going to have an above avg to great player at every position on the OL nor do we need to. But we have one at 3 of the 5 already. If we shore up OT (in this deep OT draft) at 17 or 37 we will be in very, very good shape.
Ferguson is in the 2nd Round unless the reported agility timings...  
Torrag : 3/24/2019 2:58 pm : link
...are incorrect or he can improve them. #37 is where we'll be looking to nab him.

You seem to be enamourd with greedy you mention him often. he just doesn't look that impressive to me. Another guy I'd focus on in Round 2.
just pointing out  
GeorgeAdams33 : 3/24/2019 2:59 pm : link
that with this plan we'd still have two or three day two picks to use on WRs and a 2-way TE plus defense the rest of the way on day three.
I want to rebuild the offense first and since this is a decent draft for defense there should be good quality available on day three.
I believe that the defense will be better already as it stands going into this year as opposed to last for several reasons.
See a 70/30 ratio between the DL/OL  
TMS : 3/24/2019 3:01 pm : link
preferences. No QB this year, but this team will roll after that. Probowler at #6 and one at #17 on the OL. We will be back. MO.
RE: RE: Not a fan of Gary at 5  
giantstock : 3/24/2019 3:03 pm : link
In comment 14355107 Pan-handler said:
Quote:
In comment 14355079 giantstock said:


Quote:


Nor am I fan of 17th pick taking Ferguson or taking Greedy.



Not a fan of Gary either but he very much checks the top boxes on the Giants list. Think its going to be Haskins though with ER at 17 then OT at 37 (or with slight trade up).


What "boxes?" Have they come out and said "these are our priorities?"
Pan-handler  
GeorgeAdams33 : 3/24/2019 3:05 pm : link
The Offensive Line needs as much young talent as we can acquire so as to build a culture that lasts after Solder & Zeitler are gone. I am not going to overrate the guys we have. They are decent to good with no all pros. We aren't there yet; not even close. If you like a band-aid approach and good enough is good enough then you are reverting to the Jerry Reese philosophy. I really want to create competition and change the culture to where guys like Eli & Saquon feel like they have a half a chance to win some games this year.
Dillard at #17 would not surprise me a bit.  
Big Blue Blogger : 3/24/2019 3:07 pm : link
He may not be the perfect bulldozing RT, but the Giants also have to consider life after Solder.
Or did you mean it's doubtful Dillard will be there at #17?  
Big Blue Blogger : 3/24/2019 3:10 pm : link
Hard to say. He's in most draftniks' Top 25, and plays a premium position. But all of the 25 best prospects can't go in the first 16 picks.
BBB  
GeorgeAdams33 : 3/24/2019 3:11 pm : link
That's why I'd like to draft Prince or Ivey, or some good young prospect who could learn for a year or two. I'd rather draft a big mean RT like Taylor or Ford.
Finding a Right Tackle now that can move to left side once  
Jimmy Googs : 3/24/2019 3:15 pm : link
Solder is deemed expendable seems like a good plan.

We need more actual plans...

FWIW, the Giants met with most of the top OTs at the Combine:  
Big Blue Blogger : 3/24/2019 3:17 pm : link
Jonah Williams, Jawaan Taylor, Cody Ford, Greg Little, Dalton Risner, Yodny Cajuste; but apparently not Andre Dillard. Washington State's Pro Day is on April 3rd.
RE: We need to fix the Offensive Line  
giantstock : 3/24/2019 3:17 pm : link
In comment 14355162 GeorgeAdams33 said:
Quote:
Anything else is a luxury that could be filled by someone already on the roster. We have guys at every other position that are at least warm bodies who might be able to hold down the fort until better talent is brought in. On the offensive line we just don't have anyone on the roster who might make training camp competitive. We need to have at least seven guys on the roster who are ready, willing, and able if called upon. We currently have three in Solder, Hernandez, & Zeitler, but Halapio, Pulley, Wheeler, etc, etc... are not in that category. Maybe they can improve, but we need more able bodied contestants.

I like Haskins, but he won't do half as well as Eli behind this line. Eli might be able to start for a couple more years so I am not in the camp that says we must absolutely bring in a younger QB immediately. I would like to get the best players we can regardless of position, for the most part. If we can draft a QB that we like who presents good value where we decide to draft him then we should pull the trigger IF we know that he has a shot to beat out our current #3 OR if our current #3 might be ready to be the #2QB.

Which leads me back to the O-line. I am hoping that we can move down tow the 10 through 14 range and acquire some more day two picks or even future picks. I then would like to draft some combination of our favorite Offensive Linemen. Even if some were looked at as future starters we need to bring in talent. Hopefully we'd at least be getting a day one starter at RT.

I would love to draft Jawaan Taylor and Cody Ford in the first and let them compete for RT. I would trade up from pick #37 to grab Garrett Bradbury at Center. I would also draft a good Left Tackle prospect, like Isaiah Prince or Martez Ivey, on day three; that could be groomed and he could compete with Wheeler to be the backup LT. Solder and Zeitler are good players, but their age & their contracts will force us to have other players available who can step in at some point.


If no QB with 6th pick take either Risner or Ford with 17th pick and take best center available with 2nd rd pick.

With the 6th pick take best pass rusher or trade down and still get a pass rusher along with another pick at some point.

I do think OLINe needs to be addressed but not wiht more than 2 or 3picks through 1st 6 rounds.
RE: Finding a Right Tackle now that can move to left side once  
giantstock : 3/24/2019 3:20 pm : link
In comment 14355191 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
Solder is deemed expendable seems like a good plan.

We need more actual plans...


Find a competent Right Tackle. IF IF IF he can eventually go to LT at some point great but do NOT bypass a good rt with A more boom or bust Tackle because he has more "upside" to eventually move to LT.
If their due diligence indicates a winner from that group  
Jimmy Googs : 3/24/2019 3:21 pm : link
then I would be fine to package up some of those extra picks and see if they can land or move up at some point and take a solid OT...
RE: FWIW, the Giants met with most of the top OTs at the Combine:  
Big Blue Blogger : 3/24/2019 3:21 pm : link
Big Blue Blogger said:
Quote:
Jonah Williams, Jawaan Taylor, Cody Ford, Greg Little, Dalton Risner, Yodny Cajuste; but apparently not Andre Dillard. Washington State's Pro Day is on April 3rd.
Correction: Giantswire shows an "Informal Meeting" with Dillard. Not sure what that means. No tux? No jewlz?
RE: RE: FWIW, the Giants met with most of the top OTs at the Combine:  
Jimmy Googs : 3/24/2019 3:27 pm : link
In comment 14355199 Big Blue Blogger said:
Quote:
Big Blue Blogger said:

Quote:


Jonah Williams, Jawaan Taylor, Cody Ford, Greg Little, Dalton Risner, Yodny Cajuste; but apparently not Andre Dillard. Washington State's Pro Day is on April 3rd.

Correction: Giantswire shows an "Informal Meeting" with Dillard. Not sure what that means. No tux? No jewlz?


burger king...
RE: Ferguson is in the 2nd Round unless the reported agility timings...  
Pan-handler : 3/24/2019 3:29 pm : link
In comment 14355172 Torrag said:
Quote:
...are incorrect or he can improve them. #37 is where we'll be looking to nab him.

You seem to be enamourd with greedy you mention him often. he just doesn't look that impressive to me. Another guy I'd focus on in Round 2.


Yea I see that rare blanket coverage ability. Mirrors routes effortlessly and against guys that will be playing on Sunday's.

Really , really like him. Just dont know about the character stuff.

On Jaylon , Giants have been sniffing around him almost more than any other player. They have done a TON of work on him. I think they want a 270 lb plus rush player they can move around and right or worng I think they have zeroed in on him because they are going with the QB at 6.
RE: Dillard at #17 would not surprise me a bit.  
Pan-handler : 3/24/2019 3:45 pm : link
In comment 14355185 Big Blue Blogger said:
Quote:
He may not be the perfect bulldozing RT, but the Giants also have to consider life after Solder.


Love Dillard but have a feeling DG wants a mauler for RT with Barkley.
I always think of  
GeorgeAdams33 : 3/24/2019 4:51 pm : link
Erik Williams and Jon Runyon types for RT. Those guys would kick the living shit out of some people, but Strahan battled them both like a warrior. He got the better of Runyon, but I believe he was very happy when Williams retired. I'd love to have a guy like that on our line.
RE: RE: Dillard at #17 would not surprise me a bit.  
DonnieD89 : 3/24/2019 4:53 pm : link
In comment 14355218 Pan-handler said:
Quote:
In comment 14355185 Big Blue Blogger said:


Quote:


He may not be the perfect bulldozing RT, but the Giants also have to consider life after Solder.



Love Dillard but have a feeling DG wants a mauler for RT with Barkley.
.

I was listening to Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan last week, and they had a retired OL coach, whom I can't remember his name, who scouted this year's class of Olinemen. The question of whether Dillard is a "road grader" was brought up for which he answered that he had the capability of being that. He just did not have enough opportunity to demonstrate that given Washington States style of play. I found that comment to stand out, as I always thought he was just a finesses type player.
6'-4.5" 315  
GeorgeAdams33 : 3/24/2019 5:39 pm : link
Very light on his feet. Good athlete. I would think he can hold his own.
RE: RE: RE: Dillard at #17 would not surprise me a bit.  
Pan-handler : 3/24/2019 6:26 pm : link
In comment 14355272 DonnieD89 said:
Quote:
In comment 14355218 Pan-handler said:


Quote:


In comment 14355185 Big Blue Blogger said:


Quote:


He may not be the perfect bulldozing RT, but the Giants also have to consider life after Solder.



Love Dillard but have a feeling DG wants a mauler for RT with Barkley.

.

I was listening to Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan last week, and they had a retired OL coach, whom I can't remember his name, who scouted this year's class of Olinemen. The question of whether Dillard is a "road grader" was brought up for which he answered that he had the capability of being that. He just did not have enough opportunity to demonstrate that given Washington States style of play. I found that comment to stand out, as I always thought he was just a finesses type player.


Dillard is my favorite OL this draft with Jonah in second. Dillard can play both tackle spots while Jonah is more a Luke Pettitgout type best suited strictly for Left. Dillard may not be a pure road grader RT like Cody but I bet he can be pretty good in the run himself. Could he make it to 17? That would be pretty awesome.
RE: RE: We need to fix the Offensive Line  
Nomad Crow on the Madison : 3/24/2019 6:39 pm : link
In comment 14355168 Pan-handler said:
Quote:
In comment 14355162 GeorgeAdams33 said:


Quote:


Anything else is a luxury that could be filled by someone already on the roster. We have guys at every other position that are at least warm bodies who might be able to hold down the fort until better talent is brought in. On the offensive line we just don't have anyone on the roster who might make training camp competitive. We need to have at least seven guys on the roster who are ready, willing, and able if called upon. We currently have three in Solder, Hernandez, & Zeitler, but Halapio, Pulley, Wheeler, etc, etc... are not in that category. Maybe they can improve, but we need more able bodied contestants.

I like Haskins, but he won't do half as well as Eli behind this line. Eli might be able to start for a couple more years so I am not in the camp that says we must absolutely bring in a younger QB immediately. I would like to get the best players we can regardless of position, for the most part. If we can draft a QB that we like who presents good value where we decide to draft him then we should pull the trigger IF we know that he has a shot to beat out our current #3 OR if our current #3 might be ready to be the #2QB.

Which leads me back to the O-line. I am hoping that we can move down tow the 10 through 14 range and acquire some more day two picks or even future picks. I then would like to draft some combination of our favorite Offensive Linemen. Even if some were looked at as future starters we need to bring in talent. Hopefully we'd at least be getting a day one starter at RT.

I would love to draft Jawaan Taylor and Cody Ford in the first and let them compete for RT. I would trade up from pick #37 to grab Garrett Bradbury at Center. I would also draft a good Left Tackle prospect, like Isaiah Prince or Martez Ivey, on day three; that could be groomed and he could compete with Wheeler to be the backup LT. Solder and Zeitler are good players, but their age & their contracts will force us to have other players available who can step in at some point.



The OL is closer than you give it credit for with the addition of Zietler.


We arent going to have an above avg to great player at every position on the OL nor do we need to. But we have one at 3 of the 5 already. If we shore up OT (in this deep OT draft) at 17 or 37 we will be in very, very good shape.


I couldn't disagree more. We need an OT and a C out of this draft if we are going to get the most out of Barkley. What we have on the roster right now at RT and at C is putrid! Watch the tape. We need at least two OL who can step in and start right away if we are to have Barkley survive more than three or four years. When you pick a RB at #2, you better commit to that RB. Now is the time. The players we need to have a fully functional offense will be available to us early. I am hoping two of our first three picks are OL. Defensive options will be good well into the fourth and fifth rounds.
RE: RE: RE: We need to fix the Offensive Line  
Pan-handler : 3/24/2019 6:42 pm : link
In comment 14355386 Nomad Crow on the Madison said:
Quote:
In comment 14355168 Pan-handler said:


Quote:


In comment 14355162 GeorgeAdams33 said:


Quote:


Anything else is a luxury that could be filled by someone already on the roster. We have guys at every other position that are at least warm bodies who might be able to hold down the fort until better talent is brought in. On the offensive line we just don't have anyone on the roster who might make training camp competitive. We need to have at least seven guys on the roster who are ready, willing, and able if called upon. We currently have three in Solder, Hernandez, & Zeitler, but Halapio, Pulley, Wheeler, etc, etc... are not in that category. Maybe they can improve, but we need more able bodied contestants.

I like Haskins, but he won't do half as well as Eli behind this line. Eli might be able to start for a couple more years so I am not in the camp that says we must absolutely bring in a younger QB immediately. I would like to get the best players we can regardless of position, for the most part. If we can draft a QB that we like who presents good value where we decide to draft him then we should pull the trigger IF we know that he has a shot to beat out our current #3 OR if our current #3 might be ready to be the #2QB.

Which leads me back to the O-line. I am hoping that we can move down tow the 10 through 14 range and acquire some more day two picks or even future picks. I then would like to draft some combination of our favorite Offensive Linemen. Even if some were looked at as future starters we need to bring in talent. Hopefully we'd at least be getting a day one starter at RT.

I would love to draft Jawaan Taylor and Cody Ford in the first and let them compete for RT. I would trade up from pick #37 to grab Garrett Bradbury at Center. I would also draft a good Left Tackle prospect, like Isaiah Prince or Martez Ivey, on day three; that could be groomed and he could compete with Wheeler to be the backup LT. Solder and Zeitler are good players, but their age & their contracts will force us to have other players available who can step in at some point.



The OL is closer than you give it credit for with the addition of Zietler.


We arent going to have an above avg to great player at every position on the OL nor do we need to. But we have one at 3 of the 5 already. If we shore up OT (in this deep OT draft) at 17 or 37 we will be in very, very good shape.



I couldn't disagree more. We need an OT and a C out of this draft if we are going to get the most out of Barkley. What we have on the roster right now at RT and at C is putrid! Watch the tape. We need at least two OL who can step in and start right away if we are to have Barkley survive more than three or four years. When you pick a RB at #2, you better commit to that RB. Now is the time. The players we need to have a fully functional offense will be available to us early. I am hoping two of our first three picks are OL. Defensive options will be good well into the fourth and fifth rounds.


Giants will upgrade OT but just signed Pulley and really like Pio.

Solder-Hernandez-Pio/Pulley- Zietler- Ford/Risner

Thats is a pretty good OL with the chance to be very good.
RE: We need to fix the Offensive Line  
joeinpa : 3/24/2019 8:17 pm : link
In comment 14355162 GeorgeAdams33 said:
Quote:
Anything else is a luxury that could be filled by someone already on the roster. We have guys at every other position that are at least warm bodies who might be able to hold down the fort until better talent is brought in. On the offensive line we just don't have anyone on the roster who might make training camp competitive. We need to have at least seven guys on the roster who are ready, willing, and able if called upon. We currently have three in Solder, Hernandez, & Zeitler, but Halapio, Pulley, Wheeler, etc, etc... are not in that category. Maybe they can improve, but we need more able bodied contestants.

I like Haskins, but he won't do half as well as Eli behind this line. Eli might be able to start for a couple more years so I am not in the camp that says we must absolutely bring in a younger QB immediately. I would like to get the best players we can regardless of position, for the most part. If we can draft a QB that we like who presents good value where we decide to draft him then we should pull the trigger IF we know that he has a shot to beat out our current #3 OR if our current #3 might be ready to be the #2QB.

Which leads me back to the O-line. I am hoping that we can move down tow the 10 through 14 range and acquire some more day two picks or even future picks. I then would like to draft some combination of our favorite Offensive Linemen. Even if some were looked at as future starters we need to bring in talent. Hopefully we'd at least be getting a day one starter at RT.

I would love to draft Jawaan Taylor and Cody Ford in the first and let them compete for RT. I would trade up from pick #37 to grab Garrett Bradbury at Center. I would also draft a good Left Tackle prospect, like Isaiah Prince or Martez Ivey, on day three; that could be groomed and he could compete with Wheeler to be the backup LT. Solder and Zeitler are good players, but their age & their contracts will force us to have other players available who can step in at some point.


Wow passing on a quarterback and defensive talent to go offensive line does not seem like good value

Don t get your point at all about Haskins would be worse behind this line than Eli. Even if true, so what.

Haskins or any quarterback isnít about Ďthis year and won t be playing behind this line in two years.
If Hockenson  
TommyWiseau : 3/24/2019 9:14 pm : link
Is there at 17 I would take him in a second. He will improve your blocking, be a top pass catching TE in the NFL in no time and will be a nice compliment to Engram. We could also cut Ellison and save 3 mil this year and 5 mil next year
If by some miracle Haskins and Allen were both on the board  
Mike in Prescott : 3/24/2019 11:45 pm : link
Who would you pick? Who do we thing the Giants would pick? Personally, in that fantasy, I think the Gmen pick Allen.
RE: If by some miracle Haskins and Allen were both on the board  
BlueLou'sBack : 3/25/2019 1:16 am : link
In comment 14355666 Mike in Prescott said:
Quote:
Who would you pick? Who do we thing the Giants would pick? Personally, in that fantasy, I think the Gmen pick Allen.


Very unlikely. All indications are the Giants are "all in" on Haskins. You don't pass up your QB for the next 15 years for a OLB unless the guy is LT. Josh Allen isn't LT.
I think itís Sweat, Haskins or Oliver at 6  
TD : 3/25/2019 5:19 am : link
Bssed on what they are looking to do and who is most likely to be availabe.

I just donít see Gary at 6 for them.
RE: RE: We need to fix the Offensive Line  
Pan-handler : 3/25/2019 9:02 am : link
In comment 14355508 joeinpa said:
Quote:
In comment 14355162 GeorgeAdams33 said:


Quote:


Anything else is a luxury that could be filled by someone already on the roster. We have guys at every other position that are at least warm bodies who might be able to hold down the fort until better talent is brought in. On the offensive line we just don't have anyone on the roster who might make training camp competitive. We need to have at least seven guys on the roster who are ready, willing, and able if called upon. We currently have three in Solder, Hernandez, & Zeitler, but Halapio, Pulley, Wheeler, etc, etc... are not in that category. Maybe they can improve, but we need more able bodied contestants.

I like Haskins, but he won't do half as well as Eli behind this line. Eli might be able to start for a couple more years so I am not in the camp that says we must absolutely bring in a younger QB immediately. I would like to get the best players we can regardless of position, for the most part. If we can draft a QB that we like who presents good value where we decide to draft him then we should pull the trigger IF we know that he has a shot to beat out our current #3 OR if our current #3 might be ready to be the #2QB.

Which leads me back to the O-line. I am hoping that we can move down tow the 10 through 14 range and acquire some more day two picks or even future picks. I then would like to draft some combination of our favorite Offensive Linemen. Even if some were looked at as future starters we need to bring in talent. Hopefully we'd at least be getting a day one starter at RT.

I would love to draft Jawaan Taylor and Cody Ford in the first and let them compete for RT. I would trade up from pick #37 to grab Garrett Bradbury at Center. I would also draft a good Left Tackle prospect, like Isaiah Prince or Martez Ivey, on day three; that could be groomed and he could compete with Wheeler to be the backup LT. Solder and Zeitler are good players, but their age & their contracts will force us to have other players available who can step in at some point.



Wow passing on a quarterback and defensive talent to go offensive line does not seem like good value

Don t get your point at all about Haskins would be worse behind this line than Eli. Even if true, so what.

Haskins or any quarterback isnít about Ďthis year and won t be playing behind this line in two years.


No it does not. The OL with the addition of an OT at 17 or 37 will be a quite good shape. Last year in the second half when the OL was just passable (vs 1st half of downright atrocious) the offense looked excellent even without Beckham for much of it.

This years OL will have a clear upgrade at RG and likely RT over the 2nd half of last years version.
RE: RE: Gary is one of my own projections  
eli4life : 3/25/2019 9:11 am : link
In comment 14355159 Pan-handler said:
Quote:
In comment 14355123 JonC said:


Quote:


no inside info on him so far.



Thanks for the clarification Jon. As you have probably surmised he fits our prototype pretty darn well. He checks alot of boxes that they tend to go for when it comes to DE. Nowhere near Chubb though IMO (whom they really liked last year and had the production to match.)


Iím not so sure any of us know if that is true anymore. That was an old regime when we ran a 4-3 base.
RE: RE: RE: Gary is one of my own projections  
Pan-handler : 3/25/2019 9:43 am : link
In comment 14355783 eli4life said:
Quote:
In comment 14355159 Pan-handler said:


Quote:


In comment 14355123 JonC said:


Quote:


no inside info on him so far.



Thanks for the clarification Jon. As you have probably surmised he fits our prototype pretty darn well. He checks alot of boxes that they tend to go for when it comes to DE. Nowhere near Chubb though IMO (whom they really liked last year and had the production to match.)



Iím not so sure any of us know if that is true anymore. That was an old regime when we ran a 4-3 base.


Eli it may have adjusted to greater value assigned to the rush OLB for sure. But guys with size strength and pass rush skill can play with their hand in the dirt in both 4-3 and 3-4. Gary has that kind of potential at least on paper. Are the pass rush skills developable enough though? Thats the question.
I'd rather have the best of the O-linemen  
GeorgeAdams33 : 3/25/2019 5:36 pm : link
over the pretenders & contenders on defense.

The only way I don't try to trade down is if QW or Allen are there.

Get a QB next year.
RE: I'd rather have the best of the O-linemen  
Pan-handler : 3/25/2019 7:24 pm : link
In comment 14356556 GeorgeAdams33 said:
Quote:
over the pretenders & contenders on defense.

The only way I don't try to trade down is if QW or Allen are there.

Get a QB next year.


We can get a plug and play viable starter at OT likely all the way to our 3rd pick (37).
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner