Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Archived Thread

Ok Line Up. Pessimists vs. Optimists is back!

Joey in VA : 3/25/2019 10:14 am
Well the salad days are over and have been for 7 years. As we sink deeper into the abyss of horrible franchises, we clean out the house and bring back an old friend in Dave Gettleman. We hire a no nonsense former OL from the Midwest to shine that image back up. We trade away the golden god, and anyone else who wasn't team first in this organization's eyes. Gone are: Jerry Reese, Marc Ross, Ben Mcasomething, Damon Harrison, Eli Apple, Olivier Vernon, Davis Webb, Golden God, Landon Collins, Ereck Flowers, Bobby Hart, Justin Pugh and Weston Richburg. All players traded, cut or not re-signed since our GM took over.

Many hate it all, some really think it's the right thing, and we bicker and fight all the time now because our team is a joke league wide. Now it's time to declare your allegiance. Is it Pessimist or Optimist? What are you???? For the record I have optimism and I am excited to see us build.
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
RE: RE: .  
arcarsenal : 3/25/2019 2:33 pm : link
In comment 14356269 bw in dc said:
Quote:
In comment 14356267 arcarsenal said:


Quote:


I'm actually surprised at how heavily this thread wound up weighing on the optimistic end...

Interesting.



Well why don't you write a dissertation to tell us about it?


Only if you'll not misquote Mark Twain again in response. :)

I'll also need about 3 more cups of coffee.
RE: RE: RE: .  
bw in dc : 3/25/2019 2:38 pm : link
In comment 14356278 arcarsenal said:
Quote:


Well why don't you write a dissertation to tell us about it?



Only if you'll not misquote Mark Twain again in response. :)

I'll also need about 3 more cups of coffee.


Did I? Was it book? Or was it really Samuel Clemens? ;)
RE: RE: RE: RE: .  
Bill L : 3/25/2019 2:56 pm : link
In comment 14356294 bw in dc said:
Quote:
In comment 14356278 arcarsenal said:


Quote:




Well why don't you write a dissertation to tell us about it?



Only if you'll not misquote Mark Twain again in response. :)

I'll also need about 3 more cups of coffee.



Did I? Was it book? Or was it really Samuel Clemens? ;)

I saw in the original thread that someone posted that you made a mis-attribution and that the person who really said (wrote) that was Blaise Pascal.

A quick Google search shows very limited infromation on the quote but I did see a couple places that said something like "Variously attributed to Twain, Pascal [see BBI,for example], or Benjamin Franklin. Given that none of those three were contemporaries of the others, it's possible that it was truly Pascal and subsequently stolen by Franklin and then Twain.
Optimistic  
joeinpa : 3/25/2019 2:59 pm : link
I think they re getting their quarterback this draft
For a half empty guy,  
section125 : 3/25/2019 3:02 pm : link
I'm mildly optimistic.

Unlike a few here, I feel DG knows what he is doing. I'd have prefered Eli being let go, but he's getting paid so...

I like what they are doing with the oline - now finish it.

I like that they said the defense sucks and it will get fixed.

I did not like OBJ being traded, but I get it. I would have prefered keeping Landon Collins, but not at $14 mill per.

So I will remain somewhat optimistic.
Optimist  
bradshaw44 : 3/25/2019 3:03 pm : link
There is nowhere to go but up. Trying a new direction is the only option we had. And I'm hopeful that the change to the locker room is for the better.
RE: .  
PEEJ : 3/25/2019 3:04 pm : link
In comment 14356267 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
I'm actually surprised at how heavily this thread wound up weighing on the optimistic end...

Interesting.


Pessimists are louder
Optimist  
SGMen : 3/25/2019 3:08 pm : link
I'm a FAN. I have HOPE. I didn't like OBJ's mouth.

I'm a BIG FAN of lockerroom culture and leadership.

In DG I Trust, at least for 2019. :)
aren't we all hopeful?  
Alan in Toledo : 3/25/2019 3:14 pm : link
and the team history, especially with respect to rebuilds, is irrelevant.

Irrelevant!
Optimism  
idiotsavant : 3/25/2019 3:14 pm : link
Suck it
I'm always the Optimist!  
Fred-in-Florida : 3/25/2019 3:17 pm : link
That's why I fall so hard when we shit the bed!

I'm getting older. Don't know how much time I have for another rebuild!
Optimistic - obviously they've setup a pivotal draft for the franchise  
Eric on Li : 3/25/2019 3:25 pm : link
and fortunately that was 1 area where Gettleman had success last year.

Stockpiling draft picks is never a bad idea during a rebuild, but obviously you need to get them right to get out of the rebuild. I'll be optimistic on that front until we see otherwise. If they can add another 3 or 4 starters like they did last year this ship can turn quickly. If they can do that while also adding a QB (or future draft capital for that same intent) it can be a team built for sustained success.

The Eli stuff is a lot of noise about something with very few good alternatives. As someone who believes they would have taken a QB if there were a consensus last year, I hope they find that consensus soon and set the franchise up for the future. In the meantime I love the idea of using the rest of the draft picks (+FA $) to finally start building areas of the neglect as the Colts did last year. If we can hit on a couple picks the way they did, I don't think a similar unexpected good season is out of the question.
Optimistic that they're on the right track...  
rnargi : 3/25/2019 3:33 pm : link
...but not too sure when the train is going to reach the station.
Always an optimist.  
Beezer : 3/25/2019 3:33 pm : link
Try to be realistic, but it seems like some things are being addressed, and that others will be. That's all you can ask for. From there it's about making the plays on the field, and we all know how many varying factors go into things falling just right to get to the mountain top. More than just personnel.
Pessimistic that they will be in contention for the playoffs next year  
ron mexico : 3/25/2019 3:36 pm : link
I just dont think they have enough talent
Optimist? Pessimist?  
M.S. : 3/25/2019 3:37 pm : link
Who the F knows at this stage?

Gettleman has made a lot of moves, but so far what do they mean?

The game is on the field and that's where Gettleman will be judged.

He's got two more years MAX to turn this shit show around. Same with the Head Coach. Then we can all decide together whether we've all turned optimistic or not.



Optimist  
5BowlsSoon : 3/25/2019 3:39 pm : link
We went from 3 to 5 wins, could have been 7-8 with a little luck. We will be much better this coming year especially with a much more solid OL. Iím excited....
I agree with nargi. I think we're on the right track, but we need  
Ira : 3/25/2019 3:41 pm : link
more help to compete this season. A couple or 3 good draft picks could do it. There may also be another veteran who gets released or traded for after the draft.
We were the Realists, not the Pessimists  
Rico : 3/25/2019 3:44 pm : link
Get it straight! :-)
RE: Optimist? Pessimist?  
UConn4523 : 3/25/2019 3:48 pm : link
In comment 14356387 M.S. said:
Quote:
Who the F knows at this stage?

Gettleman has made a lot of moves, but so far what do they mean?

The game is on the field and that's where Gettleman will be judged.

He's got two more years MAX to turn this shit show around. Same with the Head Coach. Then we can all decide together whether we've all turned optimistic or not.




Haha, thatís basically what happens after someone is optimistic or pessimistic. You skipped it and jumped right to 2021 without participating.
RE: We were the Realists, not the Pessimists  
Joey in VA : 3/25/2019 3:53 pm : link
In comment 14356398 Rico said:
Quote:
Get it straight! :-)
That doesn't make headlines Rico, it's all about splashy naming now. Right? Maybe not, what do I know?
Pessimist at this moment  
Marty866b : 3/25/2019 4:00 pm : link
I don't like buying all in on a 38 year old quarterback clearly on the decline. I don't like the big contracts being given to players 30+ while you should be in a rebuild. It can be argued that we have an expansion team type roster with a 38 year old quarterback. That being said. I will be optimistic if the draft,trades, etc. go well. Out entire team right now is seemingly built around one player,#26, and how is this team going to look if he gets hurt?
RE: Pessimist at this moment  
Bill L : 3/25/2019 4:04 pm : link
In comment 14356421 Marty866b said:
Quote:
I don't like buying all in on a 38 year old quarterback clearly on the decline. I don't like the big contracts being given to players 30+ while you should be in a rebuild. It can be argued that we have an expansion team type roster with a 38 year old quarterback. That being said. I will be optimistic if the draft,trades, etc. go well. Out entire team right now is seemingly built around one player,#26, and how is this team going to look if he gets hurt?


This is probably a salient point. What are we really talking about re: optimism? It would be a misrepresentation to say that they are "all in on ELi" unless we are only talking about optimism/pessimism short-term. Long-term; i.e. after this upcoming season, Eli is irrelevant. So, it's possible to be pessimistic for 2019 but optimistic for the future as they continue to build. QB is just a piece. An important piece to be sure, but one that can also be the angel on top after the tree has been decorated.
Right now, we still have a losing team...  
EricJ : 3/25/2019 4:16 pm : link
and the off season is not over. We need to see what happens in the draft as well as the back half of free agency as teams start to cut some veterans.

Then, we see how this team is coming together in pre-season. At that point we can make a prediction.

For now, this is still a losing team.
I am always optimistic  
DonQuixote : 3/25/2019 4:33 pm : link
but I try to keep my expectations low so that I won't be disappointed.
totally optimistic I think we have a super draft and can  
gtt350 : 3/25/2019 5:21 pm : link
win the division and no I will not put down the bowl
I mean  
hitdog42 : 3/25/2019 5:50 pm : link
We averaged 4 wins a year the last 2 seasons and have been an embarrassment for 5 of the last 6 years.
What does being an optimist mean? Thinking at the end of next year things will look better than the end of this year? Well yeah of course Iím optimistic on that. The team will have a lot of picks this year and Eliís contract is over after this year with 90million if cap space projected ( or more next year).
So yeah optimistic- the schedule isnít hard- the ol is better- the defense is young with no depth - but they should eek out more wins this year.
Does that mean they have this clear vision? Maybe now they do- they were 100 percent wrong about the teams potential last year and moves (ex draft) delayed the rebuild a year- letís not act like they came in and this year is phase 2.
This is phase one/year one.
And while I find it disappointing that we continue to cater to Eli on the downside of his career- I think they are at least moving with a coherent plan - for years we drafted potential toys for Eli and potential linemen who all sucked- now at least their is some consistency to moves outside of the golden Tate signing which is still odd
It would be fun  
PhilSimms15 : 3/25/2019 6:13 pm : link
To cross reference game threads with all the optimists on this thread. Seems to me there are more pessimists during the season on game day than in off-season where the Giants are undefeated.

I'm not sure what there is to be optimistic about  
Gary from The East End : Admin : 3/25/2019 6:29 pm : link
The management of this franchise gave a huge amount of money to our most talented player a year ago and just recently traded him away at a big discount because he gave an interview where he hurt their feelings.

We have an aging QB who hasn't been that good for some time and no replacement in sight. The brain trust decided to pass on drafting a QB last year when they had a high pick and a plethora of choices so they could spend that coin on a star running back.

Now we're apparently going to build the team around that RB and pretend that we're going to party like it's 1969.

We have a lot of picks this year and a lot of cap space in 2020, so there might be some reason for optimism in the long term, but that's if you believe that the gang that couldn't shoot straight is going to manage those resources properly.

All signs point to this being another tank year.
RE: I'm not sure what there is to be optimistic about  
Pan-handler : 3/25/2019 6:35 pm : link
In comment 14356601 Gary from The East End said:
Quote:
The management of this franchise gave a huge amount of money to our most talented player a year ago and just recently traded him away at a big discount because he gave an interview where he hurt their feelings.

We have an aging QB who hasn't been that good for some time and no replacement in sight. The brain trust decided to pass on drafting a QB last year when they had a high pick and a plethora of choices so they could spend that coin on a star running back.

Now we're apparently going to build the team around that RB and pretend that we're going to party like it's 1969.

We have a lot of picks this year and a lot of cap space in 2020, so there might be some reason for optimism in the long term, but that's if you believe that the gang that couldn't shoot straight is going to manage those resources properly.

All signs point to this being another tank year.


2 time Super Bowl winning QB who is still pretty good when there is a modicum of protection like we saw 2nd half last year .

Brees, Brady and Peyton had deep playoff runs or a Super Bowl win very late in their careers when they had the right cast around them. Eli can do the same.
RE: I mean  
NoGainDayne : 3/25/2019 6:50 pm : link
In comment 14356574 hitdog42 said:
Quote:
We averaged 4 wins a year the last 2 seasons and have been an embarrassment for 5 of the last 6 years.
What does being an optimist mean? Thinking at the end of next year things will look better than the end of this year? Well yeah of course Iím optimistic on that. The team will have a lot of picks this year and Eliís contract is over after this year with 90million if cap space projected ( or more next year).
So yeah optimistic- the schedule isnít hard- the ol is better- the defense is young with no depth - but they should eek out more wins this year.
Does that mean they have this clear vision? Maybe now they do- they were 100 percent wrong about the teams potential last year and moves (ex draft) delayed the rebuild a year- letís not act like they came in and this year is phase 2.
This is phase one/year one.
And while I find it disappointing that we continue to cater to Eli on the downside of his career- I think they are at least moving with a coherent plan - for years we drafted potential toys for Eli and potential linemen who all sucked- now at least their is some consistency to moves outside of the golden Tate signing which is still odd


Think this is spot on. If the answer is do we have a chance to be better now? I mean of course with all the draft picks and cap room we have a better chance to be better than we've had in a while.

But this idea that optimism is rooted in anything but hope is kind of crazy given what we've seen take place with the same ownership in charge, the same one that seems to have hired two coaches in over their head, held onto Reese for too long and didn't even fool us into thinking they wanted to expand the scope of the thinking on this team by interviewing individuals from front offices that take a more modern approach to team building and analysis.

Also this idea that we are just "stupid fans" is so annoying. People do their jobs poorly all the time, very experienced people. Especially now, as technology is advancing in all industries some people that have been good at their jobs with very traditional approaches are being left behind. Sure I agree, people that are just amateur football analysts trying to compete using the same information as Gettleman watching 1,000's of hours of film, yes there is a point. But when there are those like me advocating that there are better analytics systems that other teams are using to aid decision making and looking around the Giants organization there isn't anyone that even looks like they would begin to know how to build one of those, yes, I am qualified to make that assessment, much more qualified than DG in fact.

DG and the Mara's have made some generously curious decisions that can only look like they were made looking at one season or a few seasons perhaps sacrificing win maximization for many years. Is it nice that they are finally pursuing a course of action that has the viability of a top team? Yeah, very refreshing compared to last off-season. But they have still done things like picking Barkley that show they either don't know how to leverage game theory in team building or just don't care about it. To that I say great, there are plenty of contrarians that don't play the numbers and win. But make no mistake about it, they need a new QB. And it's harder to find one picking 6, with all our holes on defense trading up and winning isn't a great option. 38% chance of picking a pro bowl player picks 5-14, 26.5% chance of picking a pro bowl player 15-24. 51.3% for 1-4. It's likely based on our approach we are out of 1-4 next year.

DG has never been the head honcho selecting a franchise QB. The guy he picked last year was an abject failure of a person while has told us that character is the main thing he looks for in a QB. This is all banking on him getting one but with Barkely on the team and the extreme difficulty of winning with a top back on their 2nd contract and this "re-load" approach he's both not given himself the draft position you really need to land a top QB and backed himself into a corner where the roster isn't really built for him to trade a bunch of picks to get his guy, the old KC method that he seems to love but not understand.

Pessimist...  
Tesla : 3/25/2019 6:56 pm : link
Right now on paper our defense is probably the worst in the NFL. Absolutely a bottom 5 defense. Even if we invest heavy in the draft it's very likely to be a really weak defensive unit this year.

We also have a massive hole at RT, and no legitimate outside receivers.

8-8 would likely be a miracle this year....something like 4 or 5 wins is far more likely.

And if that occurs we'll have cemented ourselves as the worst franchise in the league - which we may well already be.
Can I avoid the classification of the OP and plant my vote  
BlueLou'sBack : 3/25/2019 8:16 pm : link
for realist?

You just traded away two of the team's best, if medically unreliable, players in OBJ and OV.

To replace them, we've brought in a wing and a prayer in Markus Golden, and a guy I flat out don't think highly of in Golden Tate, who's likely on the downside of his less than illustrious career, and you paid over 10 mil per for him.

Long term things look better, because in 2020 a ton of cap space opens up. But much of that is Eli, and right now we don't have table scraps to replace him. I like Zeitler, and think he, together with Solder, can be the vets that help mold the youngsters still to come along with Hernandez who I think will improve all the way to Pro bowl and even All Pro level, he's got both the tools and even more importantly the tenacity and nastiness to do it.
We need a future OC, an immediate RT, and even a future LT in this draft, and right now we have vets on both sides of the OL to groom and mold these youngsters.

So I see hope for 2020 and beyond. 2019 - not so much. I like Shurmur on the simple basis of the way the team battled last year after the horrid start, but dumping 2 legit players (one superstar) for 2 mehs isn't a pathway to a better 2019 season. Not at all. Best record I see for 2019 is 8-8, and it could be a lot uglier than that.
By OC I meant Center  
BlueLou'sBack : 3/25/2019 8:18 pm : link
not offensive coordinator.
Optimist...  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 3/25/2019 8:18 pm : link
Life's too short.
Optimistic  
Thegratefulhead : 3/25/2019 8:22 pm : link
Is a way better philosophy. I get to spend the next few months looking forward to the season. Pessimists anticipate the season with dread. The only benefits to being a pessimist are that you get to be pleasantly surprised if they do well or not as disappointed if they are poor.

RE: I mean  
WillVAB : 3/25/2019 8:30 pm : link
In comment 14356574 hitdog42 said:
Quote:
We averaged 4 wins a year the last 2 seasons and have been an embarrassment for 5 of the last 6 years.
What does being an optimist mean? Thinking at the end of next year things will look better than the end of this year? Well yeah of course Iím optimistic on that. The team will have a lot of picks this year and Eliís contract is over after this year with 90million if cap space projected ( or more next year).
So yeah optimistic- the schedule isnít hard- the ol is better- the defense is young with no depth - but they should eek out more wins this year.
Does that mean they have this clear vision? Maybe now they do- they were 100 percent wrong about the teams potential last year and moves (ex draft) delayed the rebuild a year- letís not act like they came in and this year is phase 2.
This is phase one/year one.
And while I find it disappointing that we continue to cater to Eli on the downside of his career- I think they are at least moving with a coherent plan - for years we drafted potential toys for Eli and potential linemen who all sucked- now at least their is some consistency to moves outside of the golden Tate signing which is still odd


Itís not an either or proposition. You donít have to take a classic rebuild or classic all in approach to demonstrate a clear vision.

Last year DG made strategic moves to open up cap space and add talent to the roster. He used the draft to refocus the team building strategy. As soon as any of the moves didnít work out he cut bait. As soon as the season went in the shitter he dumped all of the under achievers.

DG is simultaneously trying to field a competitive team while rebuilding the roster the right way. You can argue the merits of that approach, but to say thereís no clear vision is fool hardy.

This vision is clear to anyone willing to shed their personal biases and preferences.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: .  
DonQuixote : 3/25/2019 9:02 pm : link
In comment 14356326 Bill L said:
Quote:
In comment 14356294 bw in dc said:


Quote:


In comment 14356278 arcarsenal said:


Quote:




Well why don't you write a dissertation to tell us about it?



Only if you'll not misquote Mark Twain again in response. :)

I'll also need about 3 more cups of coffee.



Did I? Was it book? Or was it really Samuel Clemens? ;)


I saw in the original thread that someone posted that you made a mis-attribution and that the person who really said (wrote) that was Blaise Pascal.

A quick Google search shows very limited infromation on the quote but I did see a couple places that said something like "Variously attributed to Twain, Pascal [see BBI,for example], or Benjamin Franklin. Given that none of those three were contemporaries of the others, it's possible that it was truly Pascal and subsequently stolen by Franklin and then Twain.


That was me. I didn't mean to be snarky about it. Pascal is the oldest and most would consider the original source, but it is such a common sense thing that who is to say Pascal was the first ever to write down such a notion or that later scholars stole it from him.
Yeah.....  
Bill L : 3/25/2019 9:09 pm : link
Iím pretty much never going to call bw a scholar.
RE: RE: I mean  
hitdog42 : 3/25/2019 9:11 pm : link
In comment 14356717 WillVAB said:
Quote:
In comment 14356574 hitdog42 said:


Quote:


We averaged 4 wins a year the last 2 seasons and have been an embarrassment for 5 of the last 6 years.
What does being an optimist mean? Thinking at the end of next year things will look better than the end of this year? Well yeah of course Iím optimistic on that. The team will have a lot of picks this year and Eliís contract is over after this year with 90million if cap space projected ( or more next year).
So yeah optimistic- the schedule isnít hard- the ol is better- the defense is young with no depth - but they should eek out more wins this year.
Does that mean they have this clear vision? Maybe now they do- they were 100 percent wrong about the teams potential last year and moves (ex draft) delayed the rebuild a year- letís not act like they came in and this year is phase 2.
This is phase one/year one.
And while I find it disappointing that we continue to cater to Eli on the downside of his career- I think they are at least moving with a coherent plan - for years we drafted potential toys for Eli and potential linemen who all sucked- now at least their is some consistency to moves outside of the golden Tate signing which is still odd



Itís not an either or proposition. You donít have to take a classic rebuild or classic all in approach to demonstrate a clear vision.

Last year DG made strategic moves to open up cap space and add talent to the roster. He used the draft to refocus the team building strategy. As soon as any of the moves didnít work out he cut bait. As soon as the season went in the shitter he dumped all of the under achievers.

DG is simultaneously trying to field a competitive team while rebuilding the roster the right way. You can argue the merits of that approach, but to say thereís no clear vision is fool hardy.

This vision is clear to anyone willing to shed their personal biases and preferences.


Strategic moves to freeing up cap space last year? He signed obj long term and signed soldier to the highest contract in football- what are you talking about?
And My bias is rooting for the giants and not paying people for future performance not past
From the BBI vets  
Jay in Toronto : 3/25/2019 10:14 pm : link
to set the record straight

The pessimists called themselves "The Realists" LOL
RE: I mean  
bw in dc : 3/25/2019 10:16 pm : link
In comment 14356574 hitdog42 said:
Quote:

And while I find it disappointing that we continue to cater to Eli on the downside of his career- I think they are at least moving with a coherent plan - for years we drafted potential toys for Eli and potential linemen who all sucked- now at least their is some consistency to moves outside of the golden Tate signing which is still odd


This catering has been an enormous albatross around this organization's neck for at least three years.

We should have traded Eli after the 2015 season. He had peaked - had decent stats in another poor year - and probably had some decent market value left. But three years later, we continue to believe that Eli is the a key component to moving forward.

It's one of the most remarkable situations I have ever seen...
RE: RE: RE: I mean  
WillVAB : 3/25/2019 11:04 pm : link
In comment 14356751 hitdog42 said:
Quote:
In comment 14356717 WillVAB said:


Quote:


In comment 14356574 hitdog42 said:


Quote:


We averaged 4 wins a year the last 2 seasons and have been an embarrassment for 5 of the last 6 years.
What does being an optimist mean? Thinking at the end of next year things will look better than the end of this year? Well yeah of course Iím optimistic on that. The team will have a lot of picks this year and Eliís contract is over after this year with 90million if cap space projected ( or more next year).
So yeah optimistic- the schedule isnít hard- the ol is better- the defense is young with no depth - but they should eek out more wins this year.
Does that mean they have this clear vision? Maybe now they do- they were 100 percent wrong about the teams potential last year and moves (ex draft) delayed the rebuild a year- letís not act like they came in and this year is phase 2.
This is phase one/year one.
And while I find it disappointing that we continue to cater to Eli on the downside of his career- I think they are at least moving with a coherent plan - for years we drafted potential toys for Eli and potential linemen who all sucked- now at least their is some consistency to moves outside of the golden Tate signing which is still odd



Itís not an either or proposition. You donít have to take a classic rebuild or classic all in approach to demonstrate a clear vision.

Last year DG made strategic moves to open up cap space and add talent to the roster. He used the draft to refocus the team building strategy. As soon as any of the moves didnít work out he cut bait. As soon as the season went in the shitter he dumped all of the under achievers.

DG is simultaneously trying to field a competitive team while rebuilding the roster the right way. You can argue the merits of that approach, but to say thereís no clear vision is fool hardy.

This vision is clear to anyone willing to shed their personal biases and preferences.



Strategic moves to freeing up cap space last year? He signed obj long term and signed soldier to the highest contract in football- what are you talking about?
And My bias is rooting for the giants and not paying people for future performance not past


He traded JPP. He let Richburg and Pugh walk. He cut DRC.

Again, you can disagree with the vision, but youíre being dishonest by saying thereís no vision.
Giantimist  
Giantimistic : 3/25/2019 11:07 pm : link
I am always an optimist because it is much more enjoyable for me to be that way with sports. If I am wrong, I have learned to not let it bother me.

That being said, I love what we are doing and after watching the playoffs last year think we can get there with a strong running game and a veteran Eli. I always believe you just need to get him to the playoffs because he is a different post season player. Wasnít expecting the last time he got there for his receivers to not show up.

I think if we find a right tackle and if Eli gets his in pocket confidence back without getting hit after 2 sec, we will see an MVP like regular season from him.

Barkley, enough said. Also love Martin.

I think we will be fine with our wide receivers. Give Eli enough time and I think our receivers can efficiently get open.

Outside of a few moves, I think we have taken the most Patriots like model I have seen. Next year will be telling when we have all the cap space how we spend it.

I think with two more players that can get to the qb, our defense will be fine and will be grateful helped by a more efficient offense with longer drives.

I think and hope our coach will have a better game management feel but felt like he was self reflective and made improvements off of past choices that failed.

Finally, I do have one worry. I think the team we put out on paper to start the season can go to the Super BowlóI am optimistic about this draft after last yearsóhowever, my one point of pestimism is the ability to overcome injuries because I feel we are another year away from having substantial depth.

Prediction, Giants 11 and 5. Eli pro bowl, all pro and Barkley over 2,000 rush yards. Giants will make the playoffs and I will enjoy the ride from there.
Optimistic that we'll be a playoff team .....  
Torrag : 3/25/2019 11:32 pm : link
...in 2020. Maybe pull off a surprise and challenge for a spot this year becuae of the weak schedule, but I doubt it.

Still too much work to do building this roster. We'll add a lot of talent via the Draft but it will be rookie talent andd they'll need some time to put it together.

In DG I trust. Stay the course. 2020!
I think its easy to plop down Optimist if the benchmark  
Jimmy Googs : 3/26/2019 7:29 am : link
is how bad the team's record has been in the NFCE and overall the last few years. How can they not do better than that?

But the roster is not good and a lot of our extra picks are in places that require a great deal of luck to get "hits". And we are still going nowhere until we change the guy under center.

Pessimist...
The roster severely lacks talent  
Greg from LI : 3/26/2019 7:47 am : link
And I have no confidence in the people making the decisions.
Optimist here  
Matt M. : 3/26/2019 7:49 am : link
I am cautiosly optimistic. As long as we have Barkley, I feel good every week. I like thd step in the rigbt direction with the OL and Tate is a decent stop-gap. I expect the big 3rd hear from Engram. Plus, I still think Eli can play.

For the first time in years, we seem to actually have a good ST all around.

Now, the decimated D is the wild card. I think we have slightly upgraded our tandem at S. We have a lot of work to do, but it is a D heavy draft and we have money to spend.

This season can go a lot of ways. I just think we can do enough this year to restore some Pettitte to the franchise and contend for the playoffs.
Giants will be picking top-5 in 2020 based on merit.  
Boy Cord : 3/26/2019 8:12 am : link
I would say top-3, but there is a lot of competition out there.
Just a Bipolar Fan  
Jeffrey : 3/26/2019 8:38 am : link
Which makes me incapable of any objective analysis. It's offseason and in my head I believe Eli is shot, the team has gotten a little worse not better in recent months, the ownership are clueless and DG has proven to be at best an average GM (good drafts, lousy free agency) both here and in Carolina. Yet, by the beginning of the season my heart will take over for my head and I will find a way to believe that the playoffs are in reach, Eli has more left in the tank and DG is a genius-- at least until the plan changes again.
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner