Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

NFT: Alright dorks, Star Wars Episode 9 Panel and Trailer at noon

Britt in VA : 4/12/2019 10:26 am
You can stream it live on the Star Wars Youtube Channel.

Link - ( New Window )
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
Star Wars movies  
Mr. Bungle : 4/12/2019 4:44 pm : link
to go on "bit of a hiatus" following Episode 9:
link - ( New Window )
RE: RE: 'after just bringing back Darth Maul in Solo'  
KDubbs : 4/12/2019 4:48 pm : link
In comment 14384188 Mr. Bungle said:
Quote:
In comment 14384108 schabadoo said:


Quote:


I don't think this happened. Maybe a cousin?


That was indeed Darth Maul in Solo: A Star Wars Story.

His character was brought back in one of the cartoon series. I was confused when he appeared in the movie because I don't watch the cartoons.


Darth Maul survived and was given robot spider legs in the clone wars cartoon. He reappears in Rebels(after Solo time)but his fate is clearly shown. he is certainly not around in the sequel times but some other characters from Rebels could be.
Sith cannot become...  
vonritz : 4/12/2019 5:02 pm : link
Force ghosts like a Jedi. However, they can attach themselves to objects where they die. This has happened in the Clone Wars cartoon (Yoda's walkabout episodes, a Sith lord is attached to a Sith temple), and I believe it also happened in Rebels and the Darth Vader comic. There is a good chance Palpatine is "haunting" the Death Star 2 remnants.
RE: RE: The trailer was OK, nothing special  
Matt M. : 4/12/2019 6:29 pm : link
In comment 14383978 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
In comment 14383939 Matt M. said:


Quote:


But, I can't help but think that title was chosen simply to placate the fans, like me, who were unhappy with Last Jedi. If that's the case, it's a big fail.



I think its entirely possible Luke's story was never over and people jumping the gun on his ending need to hold off until the series is over.
Most people didn't want a fofce ghost of Luke, but to acfuallybsee the most powerful Jedi ever in action. So, unless Luke is actually alive and a key character, the setup Rian Johnson gave us screwed that up and wasted what JJ was trying to do.

But, again, that is more on JJ for not writing Last Jedi and zimply getting a director.
RE: by the way....  
Matt M. : 4/12/2019 6:53 pm : link
In comment 14384086 Jints in Carolina said:
Quote:
Was that Billy Dee as Lando?
Yes, which is why I may be the only person not excited for his return. Billy Dee looks old. I don't think he can pull off Lando the way Harrison Ford could still pull off a pretty good Solo.
.  
eli4life : 4/12/2019 6:54 pm : link
There's also an expanded unsiverse storyline  
Matt M. : 4/12/2019 7:00 pm : link
where the Emperor was trying to have himself cloned. But, I can't imagine a clone of Palpatine would have been dormant for 30 years.
There's also an expanded unsiverse storyline  
Matt M. : 4/12/2019 7:00 pm : link
where the Emperor was trying to have himself cloned. But, I can't imagine a clone of Palpatine would have been dormant for 30 years.
RE: RE: by the way....  
Chris in Philly : 4/12/2019 8:02 pm : link
In comment 14384323 Matt M. said:
Quote:
In comment 14384086 Jints in Carolina said:


Quote:


Was that Billy Dee as Lando?

Yes, which is why I may be the only person not excited for his return. Billy Dee looks old. I don't think he can pull off Lando the way Harrison Ford could still pull off a pretty good Solo.


Dude, you’re a misery. Just go with it.
RE: RE: RE: by the way....  
Matt M. : 4/12/2019 8:06 pm : link
In comment 14384380 Chris in Philly said:
Quote:
In comment 14384323 Matt M. said:


Quote:


In comment 14384086 Jints in Carolina said:


Quote:


Was that Billy Dee as Lando?

Yes, which is why I may be the only person not excited for his return. Billy Dee looks old. I don't think he can pull off Lando the way Harrison Ford could still pull off a pretty good Solo.



Dude, you’re a misery. Just go with it.
Have you seen Billy Dee lately? Can you see him doing anything other than sitting in that cockpit?
RE: RE: RE: RE: by the way....  
Matt M. : 4/12/2019 8:10 pm : link
In comment 14384382 Matt M. said:
Quote:
In comment 14384380 Chris in Philly said:


Quote:


In comment 14384323 Matt M. said:


Quote:


In comment 14384086 Jints in Carolina said:


Quote:


Was that Billy Dee as Lando?

Yes, which is why I may be the only person not excited for his return. Billy Dee looks old. I don't think he can pull off Lando the way Harrison Ford could still pull off a pretty good Solo.



Dude, you’re a misery. Just go with it.

Have you seen Billy Dee lately? Can you see him doing anything other than sitting in that cockpit?
And I hope I'm wrong. There were people saying the same thing about Ford, but I think he still has "it" and as bad as the last Indiana Jones movie was, I thought he was still Indy fully.
And FYI  
Matt M. : 4/12/2019 9:23 pm : link
IMDB does credit Iam McDiarmid as Palpatine, so I guess that is confirmed.

And another aside, is it does seem Bill Hader is no longer BB8.
Suckers.  
Klaatu : 4/13/2019 5:50 am : link
Enjoy Jar Jar Binks' reworking of Return of the Jedi, with elements of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows thrown in for good measure.
too little too late  
Tom from LI : 4/13/2019 6:36 am : link
after the abomination of VIII and actually re-watching VII and seeing how bad it really was, I am done with star wars.. Star Wars to me is episode I thru VI. That little mouse and Kathleen Kennedy shit on my childhood. I will not even waste my time or money seeing this.
I can't imagine what its like to go through life  
BlueHurricane : 4/13/2019 8:35 am : link
The way some of you miserable people do.

These movies are all fine in my book. Far superior to the shit that Episode I & II were. The final half hour of TLJ was excellent. Solo was fun. Rouge One was absolutely fantastic and is probably my favorite Star Wars movie at this point.

Can't wait for this one. I choose to soak up every bit of this story which was a gigantic part of my childhood and not be overly cunty about it. Chills watching this trailer. Same as when Yoda appeared in TLJ.
Palpatine  
BlueHurricane : 4/13/2019 8:41 am : link
Last seen telling off Stormtroopers and offending Fishfaces
Hold The Elevator - ( New Window )
BlueHurricane  
Klaatu : 4/13/2019 8:57 am : link
If you like what passes for Star Wars these days, more power to you.

Enjoy it now, though, because you won't be seeing any more of it on the big screen any time soon after Plan 9 from a Galaxy Far, Far Away. Bob Iger has said as much. It's all about Disney's All-Access now.

Personally, I think losing $180 million dollars and watching merchandising sales go in the toilet for what used to be a franchise that was licensed to print money should have been a wake-up call to the House of Mouse, but I guess not.
RE: too little too late  
Mr. Bungle : 4/13/2019 9:37 am : link
In comment 14384647 Tom from LI said:
Quote:
after the abomination of VIII and actually re-watching VII and seeing how bad it really was, I am done with star wars.. Star Wars to me is episode I thru VI. That little mouse and Kathleen Kennedy shit on my childhood. I will not even waste my time or money seeing this.

Wait...you actually liked I-III?!
RE: BlueHurricane  
BlueHurricane : 4/13/2019 10:15 am : link
In comment 14384735 Klaatu said:
Quote:
If you like what passes for Star Wars these days, more power to you.

Enjoy it now, though, because you won't be seeing any more of it on the big screen any time soon after Plan 9 from a Galaxy Far, Far Away. Bob Iger has said as much. It's all about Disney's All-Access now.

Personally, I think losing $180 million dollars and watching merchandising sales go in the toilet for what used to be a franchise that was licensed to print money should have been a wake-up call to the House of Mouse, but I guess not.


Yep, and I will miss it when its gone. Fortunately it came back for me to enjoy with my now 11 year old. Maybe when it returns again I will get to enjoy it with some grand kids.
RE: RE: too little too late  
Tom from LI : 4/13/2019 10:17 am : link
In comment 14384780 Mr. Bungle said:
Quote:
In comment 14384647 Tom from LI said:


Quote:


after the abomination of VIII and actually re-watching VII and seeing how bad it really was, I am done with star wars.. Star Wars to me is episode I thru VI. That little mouse and Kathleen Kennedy shit on my childhood. I will not even waste my time or money seeing this.


Wait...you actually liked I-III?!


better than what they are trying to pass as star wars now.
RE: too little too late  
Mike in NJ : 4/13/2019 10:18 am : link
In comment 14384647 Tom from LI said:
Quote:
after the abomination of VIII and actually re-watching VII and seeing how bad it really was, I am done with star wars.. Star Wars to me is episode I thru VI. That little mouse and Kathleen Kennedy shit on my childhood. I will not even waste my time or money seeing this.


What was so bad about VII? I rewatched it with my 6 year old last night (his first time seeing it), and I enjoyed it just as much as I did the first few times seeing it. Was it as good as A New Hope or Empire Strikes Back? No, but I think it's up there with Return of the Jedi, and definitely better than Episodes I and II. I actually think I enjoyed it more now when comparing it to The Last Jedi, it felt so much more like the original trilogy than VIII did.

It also finally got my son interested in the series, I have been trying for the last 2 years to get him into Star Wars and had no luck until last night.
I don't think the movies are as bad as many suggest  
Jay on the Island : 4/13/2019 10:23 am : link
They are way better than the awful prequel trilogy. I just don't like the direction that Disney took Star Wars.

Disney has all but erased all the actions of Luke, Han, Leia, and the resistance from the original trilogy. IMO what they should have done was have the remnants of the old Empire be the main threat with a leader in charge that has spent the past 30 years rebuilding their forces and slowly conquering distant systems. They could have had Snoke be the leader with him luring Ben Solo to the dark side but not with a stupid star killer base that they can somehow afford. Then have Luke as the leader of a new generation of Jedi and Leia in charge of the Republic. I think they should have used the Thrawn trilogy as a template for this new trilogy.
So again  
KDubbs : 4/13/2019 10:27 am : link
The story didnt go the way you fantasized for years and it has shit on your chimdhood. Might be a little too invested in a movie franchise.
RE: RE: too little too late  
Klaatu : 4/13/2019 10:28 am : link
In comment 14384823 Mike in NJ said:
Quote:
In comment 14384647 Tom from LI said:


Quote:


after the abomination of VIII and actually re-watching VII and seeing how bad it really was, I am done with star wars.. Star Wars to me is episode I thru VI. That little mouse and Kathleen Kennedy shit on my childhood. I will not even waste my time or money seeing this.



What was so bad about VII? I rewatched it with my 6 year old last night (his first time seeing it), and I enjoyed it just as much as I did the first few times seeing it. Was it as good as A New Hope or Empire Strikes Back? No, but I think it's up there with Return of the Jedi, and definitely better than Episodes I and II. I actually think I enjoyed it more now when comparing it to The Last Jedi, it felt so much more like the original trilogy than VIII did.

It also finally got my son interested in the series, I have been trying for the last 2 years to get him into Star Wars and had no luck until last night.


Well, besides the fact that it was a total rip-off of A New Hope (par for the course for Jar Jar Abrams)...besides the fact that it made ZERO sense in light of what transpired in Return of the Jedi - just where the hell did the First Order come from with their huge armada of ships, troops, and Starkiller base? What the hell was the New Republic doing for the previous 30 years while all this was happening, playing games on Endor?

Besides the fact that it turned Han Solo into a deadbeat dad...besides the fact that it blew a golden opportunity to reunite Han, Leia, and Luke...besides the fact that it gave us the ultimate Mary Sue...then, yeah, Episode VII was just peachy.
Holding up I-III  
Chris in Philly : 4/13/2019 10:31 am : link
as a symbol of what Star Wars used to be is, eh, curious.
RE: RE: too little too late  
Tom from LI : 4/13/2019 10:31 am : link
In comment 14384823 Mike in NJ said:
Quote:
In comment 14384647 Tom from LI said:


Quote:


after the abomination of VIII and actually re-watching VII and seeing how bad it really was, I am done with star wars.. Star Wars to me is episode I thru VI. That little mouse and Kathleen Kennedy shit on my childhood. I will not even waste my time or money seeing this.



What was so bad about VII? I rewatched it with my 6 year old last night (his first time seeing it), and I enjoyed it just as much as I did the first few times seeing it. Was it as good as A New Hope or Empire Strikes Back? No, but I think it's up there with Return of the Jedi, and definitely better than Episodes I and II. I actually think I enjoyed it more now when comparing it to The Last Jedi, it felt so much more like the original trilogy than VIII did.

It also finally got my son interested in the series, I have been trying for the last 2 years to get him into Star Wars and had no luck until last night.


I was ok with VII when it came out and I saw it the first time. I guess I was starving for Star Wars that looked like episode IV thru VI. I was 10 when episode 4 came out in 1977. It changed everything for me. Were they perfect movies.. no but they were a game changer in the sci fi world to me. I was a huge Trekkie growing up.

VII is a rehash of IV shot for shot and to be honest the more you watch it the worse it gets to me. Rey being a Mary Sue, it just ruined it for me. She should have struggled as Luke did. The series went off the rails completely in VIII and I was done.

I will not watch the trailers or watch the new movie when released. I will not have an opinion on IX because I won't watch it. I have zero interest in it.

too each their own.
The prequel and sequel trilogy character development  
Maximus, Esq. : 4/13/2019 10:45 am : link
are both equally awful. There’s no emotional
investment in any of the new characters. Would anyone really care if Rey or Finn are killed? The character development in these movies pales in comparison to the original trilogy and how we had a vested interest in their success. The fact they are now throwing Palpatine at us as lip service pretty much evidences the fact they had no plan for the sequel trilogy when it began with Force Awakens - which is particularly pathetic considering how many years they had to develop a coherent, tight storyline in light of the prequel trilogy disaster of the 1990s.
RE: The prequel and sequel trilogy character development  
Maximus, Esq. : 4/13/2019 10:48 am : link
In comment 14384846 Maximus, Esq. said:
Quote:
are both equally awful. There’s no emotional
investment in any of the new characters. Would anyone really care if Rey or Finn are killed? The character development in these movies pales in comparison to the original trilogy and how we had a vested interest in their success. The fact they are now throwing Palpatine at us as lip service pretty much evidences the fact they had no plan for the sequel trilogy when it began with Force Awakens - which is particularly pathetic considering how many years they had to develop a coherent, tight storyline in light of the prequel trilogy disaster of the 1990s.


I’d add that the characters from Rogue One we far more compelling and developed so that there was an emotional response from the viewer at the end of that movie. I’d place Rogue One with the original trilogy in terms of success. I wish they would do more of these tangent stories that take place after ROTS and pre-Endor.
RE: The prequel and sequel trilogy character development  
Klaatu : 4/13/2019 10:54 am : link
In comment 14384846 Maximus, Esq. said:
Quote:
are both equally awful. There’s no emotional
investment in any of the new characters. Would anyone really care if Rey or Finn are killed? The character development in these movies pales in comparison to the original trilogy and how we had a vested interest in their success. The fact they are now throwing Palpatine at us as lip service pretty much evidences the fact they had no plan for the sequel trilogy when it began with Force Awakens - which is particularly pathetic considering how many years they had to develop a coherent, tight storyline in light of the prequel trilogy disaster of the 1990s.


From what I understand, Abrams did have a plan for a trilogy. I'm not saying it was a good plan - I suspect Episode VIII would have been a reworking of The Empire Strikes Back, before he reworked Return of the Jedi for Episode IX - but it was a plan nonetheless. Of course, all of that went into the garbage compactor when Kathleen Kennedy decided to turn the reins of VIII over to Rian Johnson. Ugh.
RE: RE: The prequel and sequel trilogy character development  
Mr. Bungle : 4/13/2019 10:59 am : link
In comment 14384847 Maximus, Esq. said:
Quote:
In comment 14384846 Maximus, Esq. said:



iI wish they would do more of these tangent stories that take place after ROTS and pre-Endor.

They are. Disney+ will have a Rogue One prequel series next year.
RE: RE: The prequel and sequel trilogy character development  
Jay on the Island : 4/13/2019 1:25 pm : link
In comment 14384852 Klaatu said:
Quote:
In comment 14384846 Maximus, Esq. said:


Quote:


are both equally awful. There’s no emotional
investment in any of the new characters. Would anyone really care if Rey or Finn are killed? The character development in these movies pales in comparison to the original trilogy and how we had a vested interest in their success. The fact they are now throwing Palpatine at us as lip service pretty much evidences the fact they had no plan for the sequel trilogy when it began with Force Awakens - which is particularly pathetic considering how many years they had to develop a coherent, tight storyline in light of the prequel trilogy disaster of the 1990s.



From what I understand, Abrams did have a plan for a trilogy. I'm not saying it was a good plan - I suspect Episode VIII would have been a reworking of The Empire Strikes Back, before he reworked Return of the Jedi for Episode IX - but it was a plan nonetheless. Of course, all of that went into the garbage compactor when Kathleen Kennedy decided to turn the reins of VIII over to Rian Johnson. Ugh.

I just don't understand why they planned on having three different directors do the movies while also not having a planned direction on where the movies would go. You clearly have Abrams and Johnson trying to take this trilogy is dramatically different directions. I actually liked the Last Jedi better the second time I watched it but it still wasn't great. I respect the fact that Johnson tried something drastically different I just think that he went a bit too far.

Some fans are still theorizing that Kylo Ren will indeed turn once again. They speculate that he might not turn completely to the light but remain in a grey area between the two.

As has been speculated by many fans I think the finale will show Rey finding a balance between the light and the dark side. For the force to be balanced there can't be only Sith or Jedi. If someone could find the proper balance between the two that would bring true balance to the force. Rey is currently far to the light while Kylo has gone full dark side. If Palpatine is indeed still alive then that might force Kylo to join Rey and find the proper middle ground.
Rogue one  
Jay on the Island : 4/13/2019 1:26 pm : link
was an awesome movie. They did a fantastic job with that one. I only wish they were able to carry that success over to episodes 8 and 9.
I liked TLJ.  
81_Great_Dane : 4/13/2019 6:36 pm : link
But I get why a lot of fans didn't. It was sort of a big "fuck you" to people who have fan theories about whether Rey is a Skywalker and what Snope's backstory is. They basically said: None of that shit you have been thinking about matters. That pissed people off. They were looking forward to a story that fit their expectations, and got one that blew off those expectations.

Poe isn't that heroic, fucks up, does more harm than good in some ways.

Luke isn't Obi-wan. At least, not until the end.

Kylo Sen sets aside being Darth Vader lite and finds his own dark path.

Snope? Off with him. So much for Snope.

Rey isn't royalty. She's just a nobody from nowhere. In other words, a hero can be anyone, can come from anywhere. I love that. To me, that's where Johnson nailed it. The Skywalkers needn't be the whole story of good v evil in this saga. The relentless focus on them was limiting. Johnson opened up the story to more possibilities. They may decide to backtrack and make Rey a Skywalker, or a descendant of Ob-wan or someone else from the original films, but I hope not.

I have interviewed Kathleen Kennedy many times and before they started the new trilogy I told her my one request as a fan was: Not all Skywalkers and Solos, please. Bring in some new characters. It was getting to be is as if you were imagining American history, and wrote how the Civil War was fought by the descendants of Benedict Arnold for the Confederacy and the grandchildren of Washington and Adams for the Union. No, no, no. History moves on. Heroes pass away and new heroes rise in their place. Families rise and fall, too. They shouldn't be straightjacketed by George Lucas's original ideas. The story should be able to grow and evolve.

IMO "Solo" was a bad idea; too inbred. But it turned out to be a perfectly OK film except that nobody but young Harrison Ford can pull off that role.

I also thought Rogue One was really good. For me, that was the Star Wars movie I had always wanted to see. Kind of dark, with high stakes, and in the end, good triumphs but only at a terrible price. Empire Strikes Back was moving in that direction. Return of the Jedi sort of fumbled it. I think George Lucas kind of got cold feet. I don't necessarily want all the Star Wars films to be edgy, but it was nice to see one that went that route.

RE: BlueHurricane  
Matt M. : 4/13/2019 8:14 pm : link
In comment 14384735 Klaatu said:
Quote:
If you like what passes for Star Wars these days, more power to you.

Enjoy it now, though, because you won't be seeing any more of it on the big screen any time soon after Plan 9 from a Galaxy Far, Far Away. Bob Iger has said as much. It's all about Disney's All-Access now.

Personally, I think losing $180 million dollars and watching merchandising sales go in the toilet for what used to be a franchise that was licensed to print money should have been a wake-up call to the House of Mouse, but I guess not.
What lost $180M?
RE: RE: RE: too little too late  
Matt M. : 4/13/2019 8:15 pm : link
In comment 14384822 Tom from LI said:
Quote:
In comment 14384780 Mr. Bungle said:


Quote:


In comment 14384647 Tom from LI said:


Quote:


after the abomination of VIII and actually re-watching VII and seeing how bad it really was, I am done with star wars.. Star Wars to me is episode I thru VI. That little mouse and Kathleen Kennedy shit on my childhood. I will not even waste my time or money seeing this.


Wait...you actually liked I-III?!



better than what they are trying to pass as star wars now.
Absolutely not. I and II were terrible and III could have been at least decent, and then they ruined Darth Vader. They reduced the baddest villain around to a whiny bitch.
RE: RE: RE: The prequel and sequel trilogy character development  
Matt M. : 4/13/2019 8:20 pm : link
In comment 14384982 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
In comment 14384852 Klaatu said:


Quote:


In comment 14384846 Maximus, Esq. said:


Quote:


are both equally awful. There’s no emotional
investment in any of the new characters. Would anyone really care if Rey or Finn are killed? The character development in these movies pales in comparison to the original trilogy and how we had a vested interest in their success. The fact they are now throwing Palpatine at us as lip service pretty much evidences the fact they had no plan for the sequel trilogy when it began with Force Awakens - which is particularly pathetic considering how many years they had to develop a coherent, tight storyline in light of the prequel trilogy disaster of the 1990s.



From what I understand, Abrams did have a plan for a trilogy. I'm not saying it was a good plan - I suspect Episode VIII would have been a reworking of The Empire Strikes Back, before he reworked Return of the Jedi for Episode IX - but it was a plan nonetheless. Of course, all of that went into the garbage compactor when Kathleen Kennedy decided to turn the reins of VIII over to Rian Johnson. Ugh.


I just don't understand why they planned on having three different directors do the movies while also not having a planned direction on where the movies would go. You clearly have Abrams and Johnson trying to take this trilogy is dramatically different directions. I actually liked the Last Jedi better the second time I watched it but it still wasn't great. I respect the fact that Johnson tried something drastically different I just think that he went a bit too far.

Some fans are still theorizing that Kylo Ren will indeed turn once again. They speculate that he might not turn completely to the light but remain in a grey area between the two.

As has been speculated by many fans I think the finale will show Rey finding a balance between the light and the dark side. For the force to be balanced there can't be only Sith or Jedi. If someone could find the proper balance between the two that would bring true balance to the force. Rey is currently far to the light while Kylo has gone full dark side. If Palpatine is indeed still alive then that might force Kylo to join Rey and find the proper middle ground.
3 different directors would have been fine if they had 1 writer, or at least one group of writers. There is no reason Johnson should have been hired to write, as well as direct.
RE: I liked TLJ.  
Matt M. : 4/13/2019 8:26 pm : link
In comment 14385211 81_Great_Dane said:
Quote:
But I get why a lot of fans didn't. It was sort of a big "fuck you" to people who have fan theories about whether Rey is a Skywalker and what Snope's backstory is. They basically said: None of that shit you have been thinking about matters. That pissed people off. They were looking forward to a story that fit their expectations, and got one that blew off those expectations.

Poe isn't that heroic, fucks up, does more harm than good in some ways.

Luke isn't Obi-wan. At least, not until the end.

Kylo Sen sets aside being Darth Vader lite and finds his own dark path.

Snope? Off with him. So much for Snope.

Rey isn't royalty. She's just a nobody from nowhere. In other words, a hero can be anyone, can come from anywhere. I love that. To me, that's where Johnson nailed it. The Skywalkers needn't be the whole story of good v evil in this saga. The relentless focus on them was limiting. Johnson opened up the story to more possibilities. They may decide to backtrack and make Rey a Skywalker, or a descendant of Ob-wan or someone else from the original films, but I hope not.

I have interviewed Kathleen Kennedy many times and before they started the new trilogy I told her my one request as a fan was: Not all Skywalkers and Solos, please. Bring in some new characters. It was getting to be is as if you were imagining American history, and wrote how the Civil War was fought by the descendants of Benedict Arnold for the Confederacy and the grandchildren of Washington and Adams for the Union. No, no, no. History moves on. Heroes pass away and new heroes rise in their place. Families rise and fall, too. They shouldn't be straightjacketed by George Lucas's original ideas. The story should be able to grow and evolve.

IMO "Solo" was a bad idea; too inbred. But it turned out to be a perfectly OK film except that nobody but young Harrison Ford can pull off that role.

I also thought Rogue One was really good. For me, that was the Star Wars movie I had always wanted to see. Kind of dark, with high stakes, and in the end, good triumphs but only at a terrible price. Empire Strikes Back was moving in that direction. Return of the Jedi sort of fumbled it. I think George Lucas kind of got cold feet. I don't necessarily want all the Star Wars films to be edgy, but it was nice to see one that went that route.
Yes and no. Personally, I didn't care about Rey's lineage or Snope's backstory. But, I did care about how they fucked up Luke. This was supposed to introduce new characters into the end of the Skywalker saga.

If they went in a completely new direction, I would have been fine with that. But, Episode VII re-introduced some old characters and was setting something up. Handing a blank slate to Johnson was just stupid and really wasted a lot of people's time. I didn't need or want Luke to be the focal point of the last 2 movies. But, I also didn't want a force ghost and a loner who was far less than heroic. He was supposed to have become the most powerful Jedi and Johnson just shit all over that.
No ones ever really gone.  
madgiantscow009 : 4/14/2019 2:44 am : link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNTLC_uiGFA
probably the most likely fan theory is that Rey  
madgiantscow009 : 4/14/2019 2:51 am : link
is the daughter of Leia and Jabba.
RE: BlueHurricane  
Giantology : 4/14/2019 5:55 am : link
In comment 14384735 Klaatu said:
Quote:
If you like what passes for Star Wars these days, more power to you.

Enjoy it now, though, because you won't be seeing any more of it on the big screen any time soon after Plan 9 from a Galaxy Far, Far Away. Bob Iger has said as much. It's all about Disney's All-Access now.

Personally, I think losing $180 million dollars and watching merchandising sales go in the toilet for what used to be a franchise that was licensed to print money should have been a wake-up call to the House of Mouse, but I guess not.


It is only going to be on hiatus for a few years at most. The news is that they are taking their time to put the next series of films together and that the announced trilogies for Rian Johnson and the GoT showrunners are still happening. And yet, there will be multiple new live action TV shows. Star Wars is going nowhere.
RE: RE: BlueHurricane  
Klaatu : 4/14/2019 10:33 am : link
In comment 14385314 Matt M. said:
Quote:
In comment 14384735 Klaatu said:


Quote:


If you like what passes for Star Wars these days, more power to you.

Enjoy it now, though, because you won't be seeing any more of it on the big screen any time soon after Plan 9 from a Galaxy Far, Far Away. Bob Iger has said as much. It's all about Disney's All-Access now.

Personally, I think losing $180 million dollars and watching merchandising sales go in the toilet for what used to be a franchise that was licensed to print money should have been a wake-up call to the House of Mouse, but I guess not.

What lost $180M?


Solo lost $80 million all by itself, due to production cost overruns (reshoots) and much lower than expected box office. TLJ did much worse than expected at the box office in the key China market. Take note: the only reason the character of Rose Tico was created was to appeal to the Asian (read Chinese) audience. But in their infinite wisdom, the powers-that-be at Lucasfilm cast Tran, whose heritage is Vietnamese, not Chinese, which, right or wrong, turned off the very people Disney was trying to appeal to.

And then there's the Godawful merchandising sales (down 16%, according to Disney's most recent SEC filing), including action figures, video games, clothing, etc., that prompted a huge reduction in licensing fees. Don't believe the shill media hype. Star Wars is in trouble, primarily due to Kathleen Kennedy's leadership at Lucasfilm. That's the main reason Jar Jar Abrams was brought back, to "save" the franchise.

Bob Iger has bought into the notion of "Star Wars fatigue," too many movies coming out back-to-back, which is why he put big-screen Star Wars on hiatus and is focusing on using the franchise to launch Disney's All-Access streaming service.

Funny how there's no "Marvel fatigue." Marvel comes out with more than twice as many movies in the same time period as Star Wars and they all make money (even Captain Marvel), and they all kill it with licensing and merchandising (except for Captain Marvel). That's because Kevin Feige had a plan, a good plan, that he began to implement ten years ago beginning with Iron Man. Unlike Star Wars and DC, his plan was character-driven, not Director-driven.

Kathleen Kennedy had no such plan when she took the helm at Lucasfilm. She only had one goal in mind: to make The Force Female. To make Star Wars movies with predominantly female protagonists to appeal to a female audience. Never mind the core fan base, never mind respect for the original source material and the Extended Universe, never mind canon, and never mind the "hero's journey" that Luke Skywalker took in the three original movies. Just throw a "Mary Sue" in there from the get-go and let the chips fall where they may.
Well said Klaatu  
Jay on the Island : 4/14/2019 3:44 pm : link
Marvel has thrived because they had a broad vision that was carefully constructed over years. Disney bought the rights to Star Wars and instead of taking their time to implement a strong plan for the films they rushed to release them in order to capitalize. They could have made billions more if they had done it right and also kept it going. They have so many options in terms of the directions of these films. They could do prequels that show the creation of the jedi order and the sith. Talk about politically correct overkill. Lando Calrissian in love with a robot?
Jay, check this out.  
Klaatu : 4/14/2019 3:51 pm : link
Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker has an Alfred Hitchcock connection.

Jar Jar's a thief, but at least he's stealing from one of the best.
Correct about Star Wars vs. Marvel  
Matt M. : 4/14/2019 5:20 pm : link
Marvel had a clear plan going back to the original Iron Man. That is how each movie has had easter eggs, after credit cuts, etc. that all tied together.

On the other hand, Star Wars has been disjointed. They had not overall plan, which was evident in the transition from Force Awakens to Last Jedi. They never should have hired Johnson to write and direct.

Then, even though I liked Rogue One and Solo, they are stand alone movies, and not part of an overall plan either.
Question about the teaser trailer:  
Mr. Bungle : 4/14/2019 7:35 pm : link
Why does Rey ignite her lightsaber to run away from and then backflip over a TIE silencer? Seemed to serve no purpose other than to look cool.
spoiler alert from 2012!  
madgiantscow009 : 4/14/2019 11:35 pm : link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlvxnJuq7KI
The Mandalorian  
BIG FRED 1973 : 4/15/2019 10:14 am : link
looks awesome especially for us older Star Wars fans ,It definitely has a Rogue One type feel to it .When I get a chance later I will post the link for what they showed at celebration ,they blocked it out on the live stream yesterday when I was watching but the videos have surfaced on Youtube ,The part with IG-88 was awesome .And it already has been said that there will be a season 2 .And it looks like the Cassian Andor and K-2SO series on Disney + has all but been confirmed too .
RE: The Mandalorian  
Mr. Bungle : 4/15/2019 11:53 am : link
In comment 14386914 BIG FRED 1973 said:
Quote:
looks awesome especially for us older Star Wars fans ,It definitely has a Rogue One type feel to it .When I get a chance later I will post the link for what they showed at celebration ,they blocked it out on the live stream yesterday when I was watching but the videos have surfaced on Youtube ,The part with IG-88 was awesome .And it already has been said that there will be a season 2 .And it looks like the Cassian Andor and K-2SO series on Disney + has all but been confirmed too .

I watched The Mandalorian trailer that someone recorded on his or her phone. Better than nothing, but I'd like to actually watch a nice version of it. Why won't they just put the trailer online?
I guess  
BIG FRED 1973 : 4/15/2019 12:10 pm : link
they just want to make it a celebration exclusive for now ,they did the same thing for the first Rogue one teaser in 2015 .They never released it as it was only for celebration Anaheim then @ Celebration 2016 in London they released behind the scenes stuff when they had the rogue one panel .Funny thing most of the stuff that they showed was not used in the film because of the reshoots .
RE: Correct about Star Wars vs. Marvel  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 4/17/2019 12:18 pm : link
In comment 14386299 Matt M. said:
Quote:
Marvel had a clear plan going back to the original Iron Man. That is how each movie has had easter eggs, after credit cuts, etc. that all tied together.

On the other hand, Star Wars has been disjointed. They had not overall plan, which was evident in the transition from Force Awakens to Last Jedi. They never should have hired Johnson to write and direct.

Then, even though I liked Rogue One and Solo, they are stand alone movies, and not part of an overall plan either.

Disney Star Wars is hot garbage.
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner