Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Jonah Williams - Could go top 10 in the draft

ZogZerg : 4/14/2019 9:16 am
According to Garafolo - who is the only beat guy I listen to - His draft stock is rising compared to where most mock drafts have him going.

Jonah Williams - OT, Alabama.

He has talked to a number of teams in top 10 who really like him.


Jonah Williams' draft stock rising - ( New Window )
Would be fine with a tackle at 6 or 17  
Oscar : 4/14/2019 9:25 am : link
Would be fine with OL both first round picks honestly. I will not pretend to know which tackle they should take.
If the draft plays out..  
jayg5 : 4/14/2019 9:25 am : link
Murray
Bosa
Q
Olivier
White...

I’d hope he’s in the discussion at 6

I’d rather draft him and plug him at RT over players like Gary, Wilkins
I would be thrilled with Williams  
Matt G : 4/14/2019 9:28 am : link
.
J. Williams should be a top 10 pick if the only issue is that he may  
Ivan15 : 4/14/2019 9:34 am : link
Be undersized.

It sounds like he could start at LT or RT, although he may struggle against big DEs.

If the Giants had not spent megabucks on Solder, Williams would be the pick to replace Flowers.
I've been banging his drum since December.  
Diver_Down : 4/14/2019 9:40 am : link
Some have him pegged as a guard because his arm length is a 1/4" short of the magical 34" that scouts designate as the cutoff for tackles, but he has never played the inside. He has only known RT and LT. He isn't a road-grader, but his technique is flawless. No scholarship needed for him to be NFL ready. He would instantly lock down RT (low bar set), but the goal would be to push Solder off the roster.

It isn't the sexy pick, and we have holes all over the roster. But he immediately fixes the OL that has been the laughing stock of the NFL for near a decade.
Does anyone know what “gathering” position means?  
okayrene : 4/14/2019 9:48 am : link
Just looked up his nfl.com profile and saw a comment I couldn’t understand it.

Quote:
Inconsistent outside hand will land in "gathering" position outside shoulder

Link - ( New Window )
Versatility shouldn’t be an issue if you want a Day 1 starter  
Ivan15 : 4/14/2019 9:51 am : link
But here it minimizes the bust potential. I hope he drops out of the Top 10 but that is doubtful.

If Flowers could have played guard, he would still be here. He apparently didn’t want to try. Now, faced with the end, he may be willing.
——  
Peppers : 4/14/2019 9:52 am : link
His real draft stock never dropped.
RE: If the draft plays out..  
eric2425ny : 4/14/2019 9:55 am : link
In comment 14385698 jayg5 said:
Quote:
Murray
Bosa
Q
Olivier
White...

I’d hope he’s in the discussion at 6

I’d rather draft him and plug him at RT over players like Gary, Wilkins


Agree with you Jay, Gary scares the crap out of me. We can’t bust with this pick.
I’d take him at 6  
McNally's_Nuts : 4/14/2019 10:08 am : link
And your offensive line is rebuilt
If we’re  
Eli owns all : 4/14/2019 10:15 am : link
Going OL I want Taylor at 6.
RE: If the draft plays out..  
superspynyg : 4/14/2019 10:26 am : link
In comment 14385698 jayg5 said:
Quote:
Murray
Bosa
Q
Olivier
White...

I’d hope he’s in the discussion at 6

I’d rather draft him and plug him at RT over players like Gary, Wilkins


If this is how it goes then I want Josh Allen over everyone else.
I like him  
Festina Lente : 4/14/2019 10:27 am : link
He can play RT but many analysts think he would be a pro bowl OG or C. Best technique in this class. That versatility in the line is invaluable dur to frequent injuries. Provides immediate upgrade at RT (or if that doesnt work out long term at Center) and could potentially replace Solder at LT in future. These are expensive hard to come by positions. One of the safest draft picks.

The only problem is tpu have to ask if you want to use your #6 on him. Because he will NOT be there at 17. FO may roghtly expect that there is better value in getting a Lower ranked OLineman (eg Risner) in round 2.
LTs always get drafted high  
Giantz_comeback : 4/14/2019 10:31 am : link
And Jonah has the best combo of technique and footwork of the bunch. Though I like Dillard in that respect too.

Maybe not highest pure upside but day 1 starter and solid to great blindside protector for the next decade.
Super  
jayg5 : 4/14/2019 10:34 am : link
Sorry. I meant Allen instead of White...
Addendum to my post  
Festina Lente : 4/14/2019 10:36 am : link
I think his not being a powerful “hog” may dock his stock on DG’s eyes. Whoever gets him is getting a guy who can fill multiple gaps potebtially with his intelligence and skillset.
Sounds like a lot of teams  
mittenedman : 4/14/2019 10:37 am : link
are targeting him. Tough to find good OLs these days.
Would be ecstatic with J. Williams at number 6  
Rick in Dallas : 4/14/2019 10:40 am : link
Fix the OL and get your ER at number 17.
I'd be thrilled.  
Klaatu : 4/14/2019 10:45 am : link
But I suspect that the Giants may have one or two defensive players graded higher.
He's a very talented guy with a rep for having great technique.  
Ira : 4/14/2019 11:00 am : link
After our experience with Flowers, we all know the importance of that. I'd be ok with that pick at 6 and happy if we somehow got him at 17. I think I'd rather see a defensive player at 6.
I’d rather a defender at 6  
UConn4523 : 4/14/2019 11:10 am : link
Williams doesn’t scream top 5 player and I’d rather get the top 5 player that falls to us. He won’t be there at 17 but I’d be all for a trade up if he drops a bit assuming we aren’t going QB.
That could take care of the tackle spot.  
Giant John : 4/14/2019 11:16 am : link
For the next 10 years or so.
.  
arcarsenal : 4/14/2019 11:19 am : link
I'd be perfectly happy with Jonah. I don't see us taking him @ 6, but even there I wouldn't mind it.
I think we're going defense at #6, and maybe even #17  
PatersonPlank : 4/14/2019 11:28 am : link
Its a defensive deep draft, and I think DG takes what the draft gives him. Also all indications from the "experts" point this way
not a fan  
GiantsFan84 : 4/14/2019 11:32 am : link
not enough of a power player for me
I'd  
AcidTest : 4/14/2019 12:59 pm : link
be very surprised if the Giants took him at #6. I wouldn't have the pick, but would prefer defense. His technique is flawless, and he could be a future LT. But as others have noted, I do wonder about whether he has enough power.
RE: I've been banging his drum since December.  
wonderback : 4/14/2019 1:24 pm : link
In comment 14385711 Diver_Down said:
Quote:
Some have him pegged as a guard because his arm length is a 1/4" short of the magical 34" that scouts designate as the cutoff for tackles, but he has never played the inside. He has only known RT and LT. He isn't a road-grader, but his technique is flawless. No scholarship needed for him to be NFL ready. He would instantly lock down RT (low bar set), but the goal would be to push Solder off the roster.

It isn't the sexy pick, and we have holes all over the roster. But he immediately fixes the OL that has been the laughing stock of the NFL for near a decade.


+ 1,000,000
As Diver Says  
wonderback : 4/14/2019 1:36 pm : link
Finish fixing the line. Ten years of lousy line play - I can’t take it anymore. And please, no more “we’ll find some guy in the later rounds”. We haven’t found a guy like that since Suebert.
RE: I'd  
widmerseyebrow : 4/14/2019 3:32 pm : link
In comment 14385936 AcidTest said:
Quote:
be very surprised if the Giants took him at #6. I wouldn't have the pick, but would prefer defense. His technique is flawless, and he could be a future LT. But as others have noted, I do wonder about whether he has enough power.


By the same token Solder (who he'd eventually replace) is hardly a power player himself. Is Williams that light in the pants?
I remember in the beginning of the process,  
barens : 4/14/2019 4:09 pm : link
he was considered a top 5 pick, then every expert left him out of their top 10 mocks, and now he's back. Basically coming full circle.
Safest pick in the draft  
Vanzetti : 4/14/2019 5:07 pm : link
I would be happy if Giants took him at 6. Would start from day one and ev ntually take over for Nate at LT.

He might not be big enough to dominate in NFL but he is highly skilled and will almost assuredly be a ten year starter
Is It Feasible  
Trainmaster : 4/14/2019 5:08 pm : link
for Williams to play RT this year, then move him to Center next year?

I know in general a center wouldn't warrant the 6th overall pick, but I remember when Dallas traded up to take Travis Fredrick at 31st overall in 2013 . It appeared that Dallas had reached as many pre-draft guides had Fredrick as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Fredrick has been a 4 time All Pro.

Williams isn't as heavy as Fredrick (300 lbs versus 320 for Fredrick), but Williams is supposedly very smart with great technique.

If Bosa, Q Williams and J Allen are already taken (and Murray is gone and the Giants don't like the QBs), J Williams might not be a bad pick.
RE: RE: I'd  
Reb8thVA : 4/14/2019 5:26 pm : link
In comment 14386167 widmerseyebrow said:
Quote:
In comment 14385936 AcidTest said:


Quote:


be very surprised if the Giants took him at #6. I wouldn't have the pick, but would prefer defense. His technique is flawless, and he could be a future LT. But as others have noted, I do wonder about whether he has enough power.

By the same token Solder (who he'd eventually replace) is hardly a power player himself. Is Williams that light in the pants?


On the other hand, you got a guy like Erik Flowers who is all power, rotten technique and is a turnstile.
If his power is in question, why would he be put at C?  
No Where Man : 4/14/2019 7:40 pm : link
.
RE: As Diver Says  
cokeduplt : 4/14/2019 8:59 pm : link
In comment 14385977 wonderback said:
Quote:
Finish fixing the line. Ten years of lousy line play - I can’t take it anymore. And please, no more “we’ll find some guy in the later rounds”. We haven’t found a guy like that since Suebert.

Hernandez
RE: RE: As Diver Says  
Diver_Down : 4/14/2019 9:05 pm : link
In comment 14386484 cokeduplt said:
Quote:
In comment 14385977 wonderback said:


Quote:


Finish fixing the line. Ten years of lousy line play - I can’t take it anymore. And please, no more “we’ll find some guy in the later rounds”. We haven’t found a guy like that since Suebert.


Hernandez


No one is equivocating a player picked at the top of the second round for "some guy in the later rounds". While many point to DG's track record of finding late round gems, I don't think anyone should be trusting Hal to coach up the player to shine. We can either get giddy hoping to sign FAs from the ambulatory squad, draft a late round prospect and coach them up, or draft a player that doesn't require a scholarship to get up to NFL speed.
RE: RE: RE: As Diver Says  
wonderback : 4/14/2019 10:51 pm : link
In comment 14386487 Diver_Down said:
Quote:
In comment 14386484 cokeduplt said:


Quote:


In comment 14385977 wonderback said:


Quote:


Finish fixing the line. Ten years of lousy line play - I can’t take it anymore. And please, no more “we’ll find some guy in the later rounds”. We haven’t found a guy like that since Suebert.


Hernandez



No one is equivocating a player picked at the top of the second round for "some guy in the later rounds". While many point to DG's track record of finding late round gems, I don't think anyone should be trusting Hal to coach up the player to shine. We can either get giddy hoping to sign FAs from the ambulatory squad, draft a late round prospect and coach them up, or draft a player that doesn't require a scholarship to get up to NFL speed.


Beat me to it.
RE: RE: As Diver Says  
Klaatu : 4/14/2019 10:51 pm : link
In comment 14386484 cokeduplt said:
Quote:
In comment 14385977 wonderback said:


Quote:


Finish fixing the line. Ten years of lousy line play - I can’t take it anymore. And please, no more “we’ll find some guy in the later rounds”. We haven’t found a guy like that since Suebert.


Hernandez


Hernandez was a 2nd round pick, #34 overall. Seubert was a UDFA.
RE: Would be fine with a tackle at 6 or 17  
madgiantscow009 : 4/14/2019 10:55 pm : link
In comment 14385697 Oscar said:
Quote:
Would be fine with OL both first round picks honestly. I will not pretend to know which tackle they should take.


we need at least 2 of every position group almost.
RE:  
Klaatu : 4/14/2019 10:55 pm : link
In comment 14386487 Diver_Down said:
Quote:
No one is equivocating a player picked at the top of the second round for "some guy in the later rounds". While many point to DG's track record of finding late round gems, I don't think anyone should be trusting Hal to coach up the player to shine. We can either get giddy hoping to sign FAs from the ambulatory squad, draft a late round prospect and coach them up, or draft a player that doesn't require a scholarship to get up to NFL speed.


You know my feelings about OT's. I want one drafted early, a plug-and-play RT, and a good developmental prospect drafted later on. But, as I said earlier, I don't see the Giants drafting one at #6. I figure they'll go defense there.
Back to the Corner