Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner
 

Eli: "I figure the Giants are going to get a young QB..."

Mr. Bungle : 4/15/2019 4:40 pm
Eli Manning:

Quote:
"Yeah, I figure the Giants are going to get a young quarterback. So I understand that. I still have to do my job, and I'll do my part. And my job as I see it is to go out there and play quarterback and win football games. That is what I'll do...That's just kind of part of being a quarterback. Enjoy putting in the extra effort and work to get everybody up to speed and help young guys when they're trying to learn a new offense."


John Mara:

Quote:
"I would like to come out of this draft with a quarterback, but here is the thing: Show me what the grades are. What is the value there? If the top quarterbacks are graded towards the bottom of the first round or even the second round, I'm not going to insist we take him at No. 6 or even No. 17. Show me what the value is. That has always been our philosophy on that. The worst thing you can do is try to force the issue and then you end up with a quarterback that isn't worth taking at that particular spot. Would we love to have a quarterback coming out of this draft? Yes. But only if we have a conviction about him."


Pat Shurmur:

Quote:
"I don't feel the need to talk to him about his contract. Eli does a great job of staying in the moment. He was here today and we got going. He is excited to get into this, the second year of our system and build on what we did the last half of the season. Eli is really terrific at staying in the moment. Right now, it is offseason training. Just trying to get comfortable with his receivers and try and master his decisions. I think that is where he is at. I don't feel the need to talk about that with him."


link - ( New Window )
Man, they really bailed on Lauletta  
Sean : 4/15/2019 4:47 pm : link
.
I dont know why  
Bill L : 4/15/2019 4:48 pm : link
Lauretta fills the get a QB any QB credo here.
agree that you have to have conviction for a QB  
GiantNatty : 4/15/2019 4:49 pm : link
which means they're not drafting one at 6. If you love a guy, you go get him. You don't sit at 6 and risk it.

I think it's unlikely the Giants get their franchise guy this year (unless they trade up), and I'm better with it this year than I was last year. It means another lost season, but we should be in good shape to get one next year...???
Reading tea leaves  
MM_in_NYC : 4/15/2019 4:53 pm : link
I think they have a cluster of QBs with similar value and are going to gamble on one of QBs they like dropping to 37. They think they have one year to make this gamble before they view their hand forced by Eli's performance. Or they'll lose conviction/nerve and take one at 17.
RE: agree that you have to have conviction for a QB  
Giantz_comeback : 4/15/2019 4:53 pm : link
In comment 14387614 GiantNatty said:
Quote:
which means they're not drafting one at 6. If you love a guy, you go get him. You don't sit at 6 and risk it.

I think it's unlikely the Giants get their franchise guy this year (unless they trade up), and I'm better with it this year than I was last year. It means another lost season, but we should be in good shape to get one next year...???


The Mara quote means we are sticking with Eli and will likely not invest in a 1st round QB to force him out at the end of the year.
RE: Man, they really bailed on Lauletta  
EricJ : 4/15/2019 4:55 pm : link
In comment 14387606 Sean said:
Quote:
.


Well... they have not completely bailed on him. I am sure the next time Shurmur wants to rob a bank, Kyle will be driving the getaway car.
I would be happy with  
Jay on the Island : 4/15/2019 5:26 pm : link
Either Drew Lock, Josh Rosen, or Daniel Jones.

Then with one of the 7th's take a flyer on Jake Dolegala to compete with Lauletta for the #3 job and potential long term backup.

Honestly if they could also get Trace McSorley as an UDFA then I would bring him in also and cut bait with Tanney.
RE: Man, they really bailed on Lauletta  
FStubbs : 4/15/2019 5:53 pm : link
In comment 14387606 Sean said:
Quote:
.


Lauletta is basically a training camp invite at this point.
Going by what DG stated before the draft  
TMS : 4/15/2019 6:30 pm : link
he believes in taking the BPA with every pick and not need picks. If that happens to be a QB fine. They seem to believe ELI with a better cast can still do the job and they do not have to reach for a QB who will sit for 1/2 years. We will see how they draft. Wish it was over myself. Too much BS with all this conjecture and BS day in day out. Just the NFL trying to stay relevant IMO.
I know he didn't say anything particularly controversial  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 4/15/2019 8:09 pm : link
But I wish Mara would STFU.
RE: I dont know why  
ron mexico : 4/15/2019 8:11 pm : link
In comment 14387612 Bill L said:
Quote:
Lauretta fills the get a QB any QB credo here.


Literally no one says this. If you want to be takes seriously don't be so dramatic
RE: I would be happy with  
Ivan15 : 4/15/2019 8:18 pm : link
In comment 14387677 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
Either Drew Lock, Josh Rosen, or Daniel Jones.

Then with one of the 7th's take a flyer on Jake Dolegala to compete with Lauletta for the #3 job and potential long term backup.

Honestly if they could also get Trace McSorley as an UDFA then I would bring him in also and cut bait with Tanney.


I really think the rush to sign Tanney had a lot to do with him as an extra coach and mentoring. And I think Tanney quickly agreed because he wants to coach in the future. Eli can mentor by example but I dont think he wants to devote the time to doing a lot of teaching.
RE: I know he didn't say anything particularly controversial  
Nine-Tails : 4/15/2019 8:43 pm : link
In comment 14387817 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:
Quote:
But I wish Mara would STFU.


Agree with this, made the team the laughing stock of the league.
RE: RE: I know he didn't say anything particularly controversial  
LakeGeorgeGiant : 4/15/2019 9:02 pm : link
In comment 14387860 Nine-Tails said:
Quote:
In comment 14387817 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:


Quote:


But I wish Mara would STFU.



Agree with this, made the team the laughing stock of the league.


Oh come off it. What a bunch of shoe-gazing bullshit...yeah I'm sure the fucking Bungals are laughing at the Giants.
RE: Man, they really bailed on Lauletta  
JohnB : 4/15/2019 9:10 pm : link
In comment 14387606 Sean said:
Quote:
.


They never bailed on Lauletta..... He's not earning his place on the team and the team is moving on.

There's a difference.
RE: RE: I dont know why  
Bill L : 4/15/2019 9:25 pm : link
In comment 14387823 ron mexico said:
Quote:
In comment 14387612 Bill L said:


Quote:


Lauretta fills the get a QB any QB credo here.



Literally no one says this. If you want to be takes seriously don't be so dramatic

Then you should probably adopt a different credo.
I think Eli is enjoying playing the  
montanagiant : 4/15/2019 10:00 pm : link
Smoke and mirrors game. Really like the cloud of confusion so many parties are throwing up regarding the Giants draft. Keep 'em guessing!
RE: I think Eli is enjoying playing the  
NoPeanutz : 4/15/2019 10:37 pm : link
In comment 14387935 montanagiant said:
Quote:
Smoke and mirrors game. Really like the cloud of confusion so many parties are throwing up regarding the Giants draft. Keep 'em guessing!

1000%. total smokescreen.
I haven't given up on Lauletta just yet  
SGMen : 4/15/2019 11:53 pm : link
I want to see him in camp this year. Young guys make mistakes and either they learn & grow from them or they FAIL and get sent home.

Mara's comments  
Vanzetti : 4/16/2019 12:20 am : link
seem like he is preparing the fan base for the Giants' not taking a QB.

I don't why he worries about fan perceptions so much. But he does. And I don't see how anyone could read his comments and think the Giants had settled on a young QB
You can't believe anything they say right now.  
SB 42 and 46 and ? : 4/16/2019 2:18 am : link
If the rest of the league has doubts about how badly the Giants want to take a quarterback in the first round, maybe a couple of teams don't move ahead of the Giants and they can nab the 2nd quarterback at 6.

Why will it be easier for the Giants to find their QB next year? Are they likely to have the 6th, 17th and 37th picks again?

Keep in mind that these player evaluators, even including Gil Brandt, don't really know. Mayfield was ranked 4th by most last year and 6th by a couple including the Pro Scouts poll.
I expect they are going to take Gary and Jones in rd 1  
giantstock : 4/16/2019 2:53 am : link
I expect they'll take Gary because of "fit" and in Jones beucase of "fit and value."

Neither one I agree with. Both i would be disappointed with at those selections. ANd as much as I don't like Jones at all for rd 1 or rd 2 - obviously taking a QB in rd 2 is a bit better.

Mara is speaking of "value." And listening again today with the "Analytics lady" on TV and someone even like Brandt having him at 17 or building him up in a small way analytically (they spoke more of what is bets for Jones. Not necessarily bets for Giants. I'd love to see what the Analytics would show for Rosen.).

WIth Mara speaking of ValueI think they will overvalue Jones. Similar to what Gil has done. I'm with David Te on this. ANd further I wouldn't take him in rd 2 either. He'll fit well for a very good team that can afford short passing. I feel the "Analytics Lady" is screwed up and for a terrible team and you are expected to have a high draft pick, you shouldnt limit yourself to a QB that;s going to squeeze the field.

Her mistake is the belief that you "Settle for Jones" because he would be a "good fit" for Barkley. That's the same stuff we hear about taking "Gary" at 6. Take him even though he is not as well thought of as let's say Oliver or Sweat or others. -- But take him because of "fit."

Unfortunately this is how I feel the GMEN will operate.

RE: Man, they really bailed on Lauletta  
Beer Man : 4/16/2019 6:23 am : link
In comment 14387606 Sean said:
Quote:
.
We'll see. If they don't grab a QB this year, Lauletta probably gets another year on the bench.
You think Eli will be disappointed when  
barens : 4/16/2019 8:17 am : link
they don't take one? ( :
I still think the target is Haskins  
NikkiMac : 4/16/2019 8:29 am : link
At #6 and the best player on the board at #17 and that will be someone highly rated that slips most likely DL or LB and then I would go after the best OT left in the second round Imo
RE: I expect they are going to take Gary and Jones in rd 1  
Giantz_comeback : 4/16/2019 10:38 am : link
In comment 14388105 giantstock said:
Quote:
I expect they'll take Gary because of "fit" and in Jones beucase of "fit and value."

Neither one I agree with. Both i would be disappointed with at those selections. ANd as much as I don't like Jones at all for rd 1 or rd 2 - obviously taking a QB in rd 2 is a bit better.

Mara is speaking of "value." And listening again today with the "Analytics lady" on TV and someone even like Brandt having him at 17 or building him up in a small way analytically (they spoke more of what is bets for Jones. Not necessarily bets for Giants. I'd love to see what the Analytics would show for Rosen.).

WIth Mara speaking of ValueI think they will overvalue Jones. Similar to what Gil has done. I'm with David Te on this. ANd further I wouldn't take him in rd 2 either. He'll fit well for a very good team that can afford short passing. I feel the "Analytics Lady" is screwed up and for a terrible team and you are expected to have a high draft pick, you shouldnt limit yourself to a QB that;s going to squeeze the field.

Her mistake is the belief that you "Settle for Jones" because he would be a "good fit" for Barkley. That's the same stuff we hear about taking "Gary" at 6. Take him even though he is not as well thought of as let's say Oliver or Sweat or others. -- But take him because of "fit."

Unfortunately this is how I feel the GMEN will operate.


Really hope this doesn't turn to be true.

If one of Allen or Quinnen falls that will likely save us! Or Go Sweat than Dexter Lawrence at 17.
RE: Man, they really bailed on Lauletta  
BillKo : 4/16/2019 2:42 pm : link
In comment 14387606 Sean said:
Quote:
.


Lauletta still gets a chance.....but he has to come in and show improvement. He can't be at the same stage he was last year.

Unless you're getting better, you're getting worse........
Forgetting for a moment what clue or smoke Eli is  
BlueLou'sBack : 4/16/2019 8:38 pm : link
letting off about the Giants drafting a true successor QB this year, he's at the same time telling Kyle Lauletta that he's garbage.


Not a very cool quote from Eli, and one I expect he made because he wasn't extended and furthermore was told he wouldn't be extended until, at the earliest, the Giants have reviewed his 2019 performance.

Folks here thinking this is some kind of smokescreen with Eli's willing participation have fine imaginations. Eli has let management and the press (at one point) know he wants to continue playing, and thinks he can play at a very high level, much like Brady has done. Shurmur commented last year about Eli's outstanding physical condition. That should tell you how much Eli wants to continue playing. Eli's competitiveness has always been one of his finest characteristics. It was the very essence of the completion to Tyree in SB 42.

Eli is not happy he hasn't been extended, and he's keeping that to himself much to his credit, but his statement above should tell us something loud and clear. You don't see that, that's on you.
RE: Man, they really bailed on Lauletta  
GeofromNJ : 4/17/2019 12:35 pm : link
In comment 14387606 Sean said:
Quote:
.

Why DG drafted Lauletta in the first place is beyond me. If I needed a quarterback to never play, I'd rather have Webb whose arm is light years better than KL's.
RE: RE: Man, they really bailed on Lauletta  
TMS : 4/17/2019 5:06 pm : link
In comment 14390090 GeofromNJ said:
Quote:
In comment 14387606 Sean said: Get your point but they really liked him last year. Thier call,n but you never know. The draft will tell a lot. could see ELI, Lauletta, Lock,Jones as a very strong QB group. We will see.


Quote:


.


Why DG drafted Lauletta in the first place is beyond me. If I needed a quarterback to never play, I'd rather have Webb whose arm is light years better than KL's.
Back to the Corner