Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Saturday Media Transcript: Head Coach Pat Shurmur

Eric from BBI : Admin : 5/4/2019 2:45 pm
Head Coach Pat Shurmur -- May 4, 2019

Q: Do you see some of the work from David Cutcliffe when you look at Daniel Jones?
A: Absolutely. David has done great work with a lot of quarterbacks. I have always admired coach Cutcliffe and what he has done. He is an outstanding quarterbacks coach, first. That is sort of where he got his start. He has been an outstanding coordinator and an outstanding head coach as well. I think some of the things that he teaches you can see in Daniel already in minicamp. That is probably why all of his quarterbacks have success. They are well coached.

Q: How much are the mechanics and foot work different here than what they were doing there?
A: We are much more under center. There are more things that we are going to do, but a lot of the basic teachings and fundamentals of playing quarterback, Daniel has a good feel for.

Q: Nothing you see when you look at him and say that you need to change it?
A: No, not at all. Part of this is that there is a certain way that this is supposed to be fundamentally. He has pretty good fundamentals. Some of the plays that we are going to ask him to execute are different from what he has done. New drops with some different footwork, but he is pretty well coached.

Q: What did you like about Jake Carlock?
A: He is a very good long snapper. We are always looking for guys at skill positions. He is a very accomplished linebacker as well. Much like Dungey who can compete at different areas, he is going to do the same.

Q: How much does Jonesí mobility bring to your scheme?
A: You have to have all the traits and be able to do all the things a quarterback needs to. When you find a guy that is mobile, that is really special, in my mind. He is a really good decision maker. That is critical for quarterbacks. You have to be a really good decision maker and have a sense of timing. Whatever that sense of timing is, whether you have to get the ball out or decide to run. You have to be an accurate passer. I really believe you have to be able to move. There has to be mobility. Whether you are moving around in the pocket, scrambling, you have to be able to move. He can do that. Then, arm strength. If you donít have the first few, arm strength means nothing, in my mind. He has arm strength as well. I think you saw that as well.

Q: Why was there so much debate about his arm strength?
A: I donít know. I was not involved in those debates. We obviously felt differently, so I could not tell you.

Q: When you look at that, you did not see anything with him as far as arm strength?
A: We had many exposures, starting with the Senior Bowl. We were able to see him throw in person and did not see anything.

Q: Did anything change when you got to see him up close?
A: Watching him on tape, I thought he had a strong enough arm. You are obviously looking to confirm it when you see him in person and we felt like he did.

Q: Is his biggest leap going to be the speed of the game at this level?
A: Yes. Obviously, the speed of the game is one thing. There is a lot of really good football being played at the college level. It is just getting the feel. He is very smart and he picks things up quickly. Just getting used to things. Speed is one thing certainly. Getting used to what pro defenses are going to present to him and getting used to what we want him to do schematically. All that runs parallel.

Q: What do you plan to send him home with this week? Or do you just trust him to learn it?
A: We trust him, but we are going to guide him certainly. All the players. That is the reason why I prefer to do the rookie minicamp the week before they can come back. What happens is this weekend we give them a certain amount of scheme. We see how they function. Here is your locker, here is your helmet, here are the meeting rooms. This is how we move around. They get oriented on that. We will be able to give them their iPads and all the materials. Then, they go away and we will be able to monitor how well they look at this stuff. When they come back, we can coach them up on how they can get better.

Q: Do you anticipate coaching Daniel from afar when he is away?
A: That is typically what will happen. At practice, there is an install or a lesson plan. As he gets more and more lesson plans, we will take him through it.

Q: Does Daniel get the entire playbook?
A: When he comes back here he will get it all. This weekend we will just give him a portion of it. The important thing this weekend also is for the guys to be able to come out and get enough scheme where they can still function and we can see them and their movement skills. That is important, too. We have all been doing this long enough where you go to rookie minicamps and it doesnít even look like football. Balls are on the ground and it is hard to evaluate the players. We have given him a lot of schemes, but I think it is important to run a camp here where you can see everyone function and see what they can do.

Q: What have you seen from Dom Bragalone?
A: He is a powerful guy. He has gotten enough reps where we can see that he has pretty good vision. We havenít been hitting at all, but it looks like he has really good balance and body control. He catches the ball well too. He has done a nice job.

Q: What did you think of watching Big George Asafo-Adjei move around?
A: We like him for all the reasons we liked him on his college tape. He is a powerful guy that has very good length. You can tell he is a very physical style player. That is important at that position.

Q: Some people were suggesting he may have to move inside to guard. Do you see him as a tackle?
A: Yes, he is going to start at right tackle.

Q: What has been Eliís response to the selection of the first round quarterback?
A: He has had no response. I will say this again. I have never been around a person that can stay in the moment better than Eli. That is something that is really unique about him. He is staying in the moment and training to have a terrific season. He looks really good out here throwing, moving and doing all the things necessary. It is his second year in the system, so he knows what we are doing. Better than some of the people teaching him.
Big George is the starting Right Tackle  
Jimmy Googs : 5/4/2019 2:53 pm : link
per Shurmur...
RE: Big George is the starting Right Tackle  
PetesHereNow : 5/4/2019 3:00 pm : link
In comment 14431935 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
per Shurmur...


In the rookie camp, sure. In training camp and during the season? Thatís yet to be seen.

Or he could mean that no, we donít have plans to move him to guard. He will be at tackle to start.
I'm thinking he meant  
kelsto811 : 5/4/2019 3:04 pm : link
That they are going to start with him at RT rather than Guard?
was just kidding  
Jimmy Googs : 5/4/2019 3:11 pm : link
guys...
Nice shout-out to Carlock.  
Klaatu : 5/4/2019 3:23 pm : link
Hope he sticks.
RE: was just kidding  
5BowlsSoon : 5/4/2019 3:23 pm : link
In comment 14431950 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
guys...


I appreciate someone with a good sense of humor too. Well done....(too bad it wasnít April 1)
Shurmurís comment: Eli knows ďbetter than some of the people  
Ivan15 : 5/4/2019 4:23 pm : link
teaching himĒ. Who was that comment about?
RE: RE: was just kidding  
Poktown Pete : 5/4/2019 5:13 pm : link
In comment 14431958 5BowlsSoon said:
Quote:
In comment 14431950 Jimmy Googs said:


Quote:


guys...



I appreciate someone with a good sense of humor too. Well done....(too bad it wasnít April 1)

I shot the clerk?
Shurmur might have a jealous Eli on his hands  
Poktown Pete : 5/4/2019 5:23 pm : link
after talking up Jones to the media. The coach is kind of in a tough spot going forward now. We know where this is leading.
RE: Shurmurís comment: Eli knows ďbetter than some of the people  
TrueBlue56 : 5/4/2019 6:13 pm : link
In comment 14431990 Ivan15 said:
Quote:
teaching himĒ. Who was that comment about?


My gosh, do we seriously parse and analyze every word and statement to mean something negative? What shurmur was saying is that Eli is a student of the game. It is not a knock against anyone or any coach.

Peyton manning was in a lot of ways his own coach. He knew the playbook forwards and backwards from every position.
RE: Shurmur might have a jealous Eli on his hands  
TrueBlue56 : 5/4/2019 6:14 pm : link
In comment 14432036 Poktown Pete said:
Quote:
after talking up Jones to the media. The coach is kind of in a tough spot going forward now. We know where this is leading.


Oh yeah because Eli is known to be the jealous type and he is going to have an obj moment with the kicking net on the sidelines during a game. Some of the comments on here....smh
RE: Shurmurís comment: Eli knows ďbetter than some of the people  
Ten Ton Hammer : 5/4/2019 6:47 pm : link
In comment 14431990 Ivan15 said:
Quote:
teaching himĒ. Who was that comment about?


You realize that you're implying the head coach is passive-aggressively attacking his own handpicked staff right?

Suggesting theres some kind of meaning there is silly. This isnt a soap opera.
RE: RE: Shurmurís comment: Eli knows ďbetter than some of the people  
SGMen : 5/4/2019 6:50 pm : link
In comment 14432076 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
In comment 14431990 Ivan15 said:


Quote:


teaching himĒ. Who was that comment about?



You realize that you're implying the head coach is passive-aggressively attacking his own handpicked staff right?

Suggesting theres some kind of meaning there is silly. This isnt a soap opera.
There is nothing wrong with the truth??? Eli is a savvy, cerebral QB so why shouldn't he know more than the coaches.
Eli was once quoted as saying  
BBelle21 : 5/4/2019 6:57 pm : link
ďI am the opposite of jealous.Ē Donít remember what it was in reference to but it was no doubt in reply to something stupid and petty the press asked him. Really doubt thereís any drama or jealousy with Eli.
Just think itís human nature, thatís all  
Poktown Pete : 5/4/2019 7:18 pm : link
Same as if you have two kids and say nice things to strangers about one within earshot of the other. I think the other kid may feel a little jealous. Anyway, the real point of my post is the observing that the fissure is beginning now. I wouldnt be surprised if Eli asks for his own release at some point. Not saying tomorrow, but he canít be loving the situation heís in.
RE: Shurmurís comment: Eli knows ďbetter than some of the people  
Ivan15 : 5/4/2019 7:21 pm : link
In comment 14431990 Ivan15 said:
Quote:
teaching himĒ. Who was that comment about?


Read it again. At that point, I really donít think you can take that as a throwaway line. He didnít just say ďusĒ
RE: Just think itís human nature, thatís all  
TrueBlue56 : 5/4/2019 7:46 pm : link
In comment 14432107 Poktown Pete said:
Quote:
Same as if you have two kids and say nice things to strangers about one within earshot of the other. I think the other kid may feel a little jealous. Anyway, the real point of my post is the observing that the fissure is beginning now. I wouldnt be surprised if Eli asks for his own release at some point. Not saying tomorrow, but he canít be loving the situation heís in.


If you think for one minute that Eli is going to ask for his release this season, then I have a bridge to sell you. Eli is a competitor and has a contract. I guarantee you that Eli has a fire in himself that he will fight to stay on the field and lead this team. You need no further proof than how he handled the Geno Smith fiasco.
RE: RE: Just think itís human nature, thatís all  
Poktown Pete : 5/4/2019 8:00 pm : link
In comment 14432136 TrueBlue56 said:
Quote:
In comment 14432107 Poktown Pete said:


Quote:


Same as if you have two kids and say nice things to strangers about one within earshot of the other. I think the other kid may feel a little jealous. Anyway, the real point of my post is the observing that the fissure is beginning now. I wouldnt be surprised if Eli asks for his own release at some point. Not saying tomorrow, but he canít be loving the situation heís in.



If you think for one minute that Eli is going to ask for his release this season, then I have a bridge to sell you. Eli is a competitor and has a contract. I guarantee you that Eli has a fire in himself that he will fight to stay on the field and lead this team. You need no further proof than how he handled the Geno Smith fiasco.

The competitor in him may cause him to seek an opportunity elsewhere.
RE: RE: Shurmurís comment: Eli knows ďbetter than some of the people  
Strip-Sack : 5/4/2019 8:01 pm : link
In comment 14432110 Ivan15 said:
Quote:
In comment 14431990 Ivan15 said:


Quote:


teaching himĒ. Who was that comment about?



Read it again. At that point, I really donít think you can take that as a throwaway line. He didnít just say ďusĒ


I saw it on tape and he said he was referring to himself as he left the podium....sorta self deprecating joke I think.
Sure normally people would get jealous  
BBelle21 : 5/4/2019 8:07 pm : link
But Eli isnít really ďnormalĒ. Heís a champ
RE: RE: RE: Just think itís human nature, thatís all  
TrueBlue56 : 5/4/2019 8:14 pm : link
In comment 14432149 Poktown Pete said:
Quote:
In comment 14432136 TrueBlue56 said:


Quote:


In comment 14432107 Poktown Pete said:


Quote:


Same as if you have two kids and say nice things to strangers about one within earshot of the other. I think the other kid may feel a little jealous. Anyway, the real point of my post is the observing that the fissure is beginning now. I wouldnt be surprised if Eli asks for his own release at some point. Not saying tomorrow, but he canít be loving the situation heís in.



If you think for one minute that Eli is going to ask for his release this season, then I have a bridge to sell you. Eli is a competitor and has a contract. I guarantee you that Eli has a fire in himself that he will fight to stay on the field and lead this team. You need no further proof than how he handled the Geno Smith fiasco.


The competitor in him may cause him to seek an opportunity elsewhere.


If he retires this year, he is still under contract and can't go anywhere else and even if he could, where would he go. Denver? Nope, Jacksonville? Nope.
Also, re: Eli  
Poktown Pete : 5/4/2019 8:15 pm : link
Not that Iím rooting for him to ask out, but letís not forget heís the same guy who wanted to call his own shots about who he would play when he was about to get drafted.
So as a Lehigh alum...  
moze1021 : 5/4/2019 8:41 pm : link
Cool to see Bragalone talked about...

But even I question..why the hell is someone asking the question about him?? Lol
RE: Nice shout-out to Carlock.  
Del Shofner : 5/4/2019 10:15 pm : link
In comment 14431957 Klaatu said:
Quote:
Hope he sticks.


Yes, that we are looking at a couple of multiple skill players (Carlock and Dungey) is definitely interesting.
RE: So as a Lehigh alum...  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 5/4/2019 10:21 pm : link
In comment 14432173 moze1021 said:
Quote:
Cool to see Bragalone talked about...

But even I question..why the hell is someone asking the question about him?? Lol


Some reporters focus on the tryout guys because of regional connections.
Back to the Corner