Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Is Remmers actually any good?

Essex : 5/14/2019 11:46 am
Serious question, I honestly don't know much about him. I see he has been on like seven teams in 8 years. However, I see everyone excited to have him. What's is all the excitement about except that he is probably better than Wheeler who is no better than a league backup. Is it only that we have a starting caliber Tackle, even if it is only a bottom tier starter? Or do people think he is better than that?

Better then what we  
BigBlueDownTheShore : 5/14/2019 11:48 am : link
have until he ultimately gets reinjured.
It's not wheeler, that's why they're excited.  
Ten Ton Hammer : 5/14/2019 11:50 am : link
.
IMO  
pjcas18 : 5/14/2019 11:51 am : link
which is not an expert x and o's guy, he's being overrated because fans are used to Flowers or Wheeler the past few years.

If that's your bar, he's an upgrade.

but don't expect Kareem McKenzie.
What threads have you been on???  
Milton : 5/14/2019 11:52 am : link
I don't see "everyone excited to have him." There is a large group of pessimists on BBI who don't see it that way. You may find that you're one of them.
The consensus is that he was a key member of a very good  
bLiTz 2k : 5/14/2019 11:53 am : link
revamped Vikings OL at Right Tackle, and literally stunk up the place when kicked inside after Shurmerís departure. A Vikes fan friend of mine basically corroborated this analysis to a T.

He is a system fit who excelled in the role he will be put in with the Giants. Thatís something tangible.

The thing thatís interesting about Remmers is he has played a few different positions on the OL and one would think he is versatile, but only really had very good seasons at Right tackle. Time will tell, but you canít help but hope/ be excited he can replicate his 2017 performance with Shurmer and the Vikings where he played the best in his career.
I do not have high hopes...  
x meadowlander : 5/14/2019 11:58 am : link
...I know it's a new era, but I'm a little shell-shocked by older OL 'saviors' with an injury history.

If they get 4 good games out of him, he'll exceed my expectations.

IF he stays healthy, he will be the best RT since McKenzie, IMO. But I'm not holding my breath on that - I think most of this season, we're stuck with Wheeler, for better or worse.
If you look at what's been discussed ad nauseum  
Johnny5 : 5/14/2019 11:58 am : link
He is a middle of the road type player that's an upgrade over last years version of Wheeler and Flowers.

He's not some all pro, but he has played for Shurmur and Shula so they are familiar with him specifically at RT.
Better than Wheeler  
David B. : 5/14/2019 11:59 am : link
Provided his back is OK. He's a guy who should do the job better than Wheeler until they can upgrade the position. Call him "solid." He won't kill you there the way Flowers did and Wheeler did at times.

The Giants should now be able to run RIGHT for the first time in ages.
By most accounts,  
Pete in MD : 5/14/2019 12:17 pm : link
he played pretty well in Carolina in 2014-16. He beat-out Daryl Williams for the starting RT spot and held it for two straight years, even filling in at LT when needed. This earned him the big contract with the Vikings where he wasn't as successful and had some injury issues. He also didn't seem to adjust to the switch to RG too well.
Slow movement  
WillVAB : 5/14/2019 12:22 pm : link
Gets beat off the edge by guys who can bend. Solid run blocker and solid in pass pro vs power and defenders attempting to shoot the inside gap.

Assuming heís healthy heís an upgrade but heís not without warts.
Guys ... go back to the glory days of our super bowl years.  
Spider56 : 5/14/2019 12:24 pm : link
How many of the many OL guys really stood out as individuals ? A few maybe .. but OL play is more about cohesiveness, a system fit and capable guys doing their thing in unison ... I think our current roster can give us that ... Sure it would be nice to have some stars like that team in Texas, but itís not necessary to win.
He's not a top 10 RT  
giants#1 : 5/14/2019 12:26 pm : link
if that's what you're asking and I haven't seen many (or anyone) with expectations of that level of play. But he's a low end starting RT, probably slightly below average, which is a significant upgrade over Wheeler who was one of the worst, if not THE worst, RTs in the league last season.

He's a stopgap to fill a gaping hole and bridge the gap until they get a long term replacement.

And the 2017 Vikings OL wasn't "good". They were as bad as the Giants OL (or worse) in 2016 and Remmers was one of the moves they made that offseason that helped lead to significant improvement in the 2017 season. But they were still at best an average OL in 2017.
...  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 5/14/2019 12:32 pm : link

GiantsWFAN
‏ @giantswfan
4m4 minutes ago

GiantsWFAN Retweeted New York Giants

Studied #Remmers tape in 10 gms as Vikings RT in 2017- allowed 3 sacks (NO Jordan on stunt inside, PITT Dupree off edge, DET Zettel off edge) - one per week - then went 7 straight gms without a sack...A scrapper like retired LT Brad Benson but with larger/taller frame #Giants
RE: The consensus is that he was a key member of a very good  
Giantz_comeback : 5/14/2019 12:36 pm : link
In comment 14443187 bLiTz 2k said:
Quote:
revamped Vikings OL at Right Tackle, and literally stunk up the place when kicked inside after Shurmerís departure. A Vikes fan friend of mine basically corroborated this analysis to a T.

He is a system fit who excelled in the role he will be put in with the Giants. Thatís something tangible.

The thing thatís interesting about Remmers is he has played a few different positions on the OL and one would think he is versatile, but only really had very good seasons at Right tackle. Time will tell, but you canít help but hope/ be excited he can replicate his 2017 performance with Shurmer and the Vikings where he played the best in his career.


Hes strictly a RT who flourished in Shurmurs system. This is exactly the situation he will be put back into.

The OL today is much better than the 2nd half OL which was barely adequate yet still good enough for our offense to average 27 points a game (much without OBJ)

A lot of unforeseen circumstances can happen, but I think the people who are low on this team especially offensively are in for a big surprise.


He better be decent based on the  
Jimmy Googs : 5/14/2019 12:38 pm : link
volume of threads created on this guy for the past 60 days...
.  
JonC : 5/14/2019 12:38 pm : link
Solid upgrade badly needed at RT
JonC : 7:58 am : link : reply
provided his back is healed up and ready to go. Buys DG a year to see if they can develop the UK rookie and/or hit the position against next offseason.
Eric, thanks ...  
Spider56 : 5/14/2019 12:39 pm : link
Brad Benson was one of the guys I was thinking about in my post above ...How many allpro OL have the Jints had, yet the lines were coached up and cohesive.
Every year we do the same thing  
Blue The Dog : 5/14/2019 12:39 pm : link
We sign someone who BBI claims as a solid, stop-gap o-lineman. A guy who an actual NFL talent that is better than what we had last year and will make the line the best we've had had in the past few years, given how bad it's been.

Last year it was ohmameh. Go back and look at the old threads when he was signed. People are basically saying the same things about Remmers that they said about ohmameh.

I'm not an expert in o-line play, but given the dearth of talent at the tackle position Lester wide, I wouldn't expect much from a guy who signed for 2.5 million in May
Looking at Mike Too Nice's YouTube highlights of Remmer  
BlueLou'sBack : 5/14/2019 12:40 pm : link
he's got good feet a decent kick slide and really gets after it in space. He can be overpowered by bull rushes and those combined with speed. If healthy he's above average and will pull and block for screens well. Good techniques with hips and footwork.

Not a significant punch.

That's from Mike Too Nice's highlights.
the Giants (both HC and OC)  
Peter from NH (formerly CT) : 5/14/2019 12:43 pm : link
who have seen him up close obviously like him - there were other options out there and they waited on him. The one thing I noticed watching him, is he plays with his head up and seemed like he was able to diagnose the stunts early. Something that was huge problem last year. He looks reliable, which is important.
He'll  
lax counsel : 5/14/2019 1:12 pm : link
Give a professional element to the position, which is something the Giants haven't seen in a while. Hes not a star, but should be solid enough.

I think it will look like Kerry Collins taking over the Giants qb position after years of Dave Brown, Kannell, Graham, Tommy Maddux, etc. Probably average to above average, but will look great comparatively given the previous play before him.
I don't think so  
Sy'56 : 5/14/2019 1:35 pm : link
Not any better than Wheeler
If he plays more than 8 games I'll be shocked  
Diversify yo bonds : 5/14/2019 1:42 pm : link
Generally pessimistic on linemen off back surgery.

Secondly, this is the same regime that thought moving Flowers to RT would work and that Omameh could play.

I consider the ol unfixed until proven otherwise.
RE: He'll  
Leg of Theismann : 5/14/2019 1:51 pm : link
In comment 14443319 lax counsel said:
Quote:
Give a professional element to the position, which is something the Giants haven't seen in a while. Hes not a star, but should be solid enough.

I think it will look like Kerry Collins taking over the Giants qb position after years of Dave Brown, Kannell, Graham, Tommy Maddux, etc. Probably average to above average, but will look great comparatively given the previous play before him.


But what are you basing this on besides your own hopes? If he was expected to be average to above-average at RT I think more teams would have been in the mix to get him and he would have gotten way more than a couple mill. The Giants are not the only team hurting for decent OL play in this league especially on the edges.
RE: Looking at Mike Too Nice's YouTube highlights of Remmer  
GiantGrit : 5/14/2019 1:57 pm : link
In comment 14443260 BlueLou'sBack said:
Quote:
he's got good feet a decent kick slide and really gets after it in space. He can be overpowered by bull rushes and those combined with speed. If healthy he's above average and will pull and block for screens well. Good techniques with hips and footwork.

Not a significant punch.

That's from Mike Too Nice's highlights.


I saw the same. Good kick slide but his punch seems to lack power. Watching that video makes me wonder how good Sam Bradford could have been if he didn't get hurt all the time. Made some money throws under pressure.
Good enough to get a $30m cntract  
BillT : 5/14/2019 2:01 pm : link
That isn't chicken feed.
RE: ...  
Emlen'sGremlins : 5/14/2019 2:52 pm : link
In comment 14443247 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:

GiantsWFAN
‏ @giantswfan
4m4 minutes ago

GiantsWFAN Retweeted New York Giants

Studied #Remmers tape in 10 gms as Vikings RT in 2017- allowed 3 sacks (NO Jordan on stunt inside, PITT Dupree off edge, DET Zettel off edge) - one per week - then went 7 straight gms without a sack...A scrapper like retired LT Brad Benson but with larger/taller frame #Giants


Is this from Dottino? Lol!
I'm hoping that he gets beat out....  
Emlen'sGremlins : 5/14/2019 2:53 pm : link
....by Big George!
RE: RE: Looking at Mike Too Nice's YouTube highlights of Remmer  
Giantz_comeback : 5/14/2019 3:19 pm : link
In comment 14443394 GiantGrit said:
Quote:
In comment 14443260 BlueLou'sBack said:


Quote:


he's got good feet a decent kick slide and really gets after it in space. He can be overpowered by bull rushes and those combined with speed. If healthy he's above average and will pull and block for screens well. Good techniques with hips and footwork.

Not a significant punch.

That's from Mike Too Nice's highlights.



I saw the same. Good kick slide but his punch seems to lack power. Watching that video makes me wonder how good Sam Bradford could have been if he didn't get hurt all the time. Made some money throws under pressure.


Excited on what this OL can be in year 2 of the makeover.
He is a veteran  
TommyWiseau : 5/14/2019 5:12 pm : link
who has started 64 games in the NFL, his best games at RT. He signed a low cost 1 year deal with a decent amount of money in incentives. What's not to like? Experienced and low cost.
Not any better than  
XBRONX : 5/14/2019 5:16 pm : link
Wheeler? LMAO
RE: I don't think so  
Greg from LI : 5/14/2019 5:24 pm : link
In comment 14443357 Sy'56 said:
Quote:
Not any better than Wheeler


Well, that's disconcerting
He's an upgrade over Wheeler  
Jay on the Island : 5/14/2019 6:13 pm : link
He isn't a significant upgrade though. If he is healthy then this strengthens our depth. Wheeler is still developing and it's entirely possible that he has a future as a starting OT. He becomes the swing tackle which will allow the Giants to take it slow this year with Asafo Adjei.

The backup offensive line spots will be intriguing. Evan Brown, James O'Hagan, Paul Adams, and Nick Gates should all make a run at a backup spot. Austin Droogsma will not make the team but I will be keeping a close eye on the camp reports and on him in the preseason. If he shows enough he could land a spot on the practice squad. He's got great size and is reportedly a great athlete so with a little patience he could develop into something in 2-3 years.
Wheeler is  
XBRONX : 5/14/2019 6:15 pm : link
really bad. Remmers is a solid upgrade. He is in the middle of the pack of tackles in the league. Wheeler is a bottom feeder.
No  
HomerJones45 : 5/14/2019 7:51 pm : link
Different team practically every year of his career. Coming off back surgery. No mourning from the Vikes seeing him leave. Wheeler blows so in that sense Remmer is an ďupgradeĒ but no, he isnít very good.
RE: No  
Klaatu : 5/14/2019 7:53 pm : link
In comment 14443887 HomerJones45 said:
Quote:
Different team practically every year of his career. Coming off back surgery. No mourning from the Vikes seeing him leave. Wheeler blows so in that sense Remmer is an ďupgradeĒ but no, he isnít very good.


Same deceptive BS, different day.
At RT he does real well picking up stunts and delays  
montanagiant : 5/14/2019 8:12 pm : link
Definitely an improvement
RE: Guys ... go back to the glory days of our super bowl years.  
giantstock : 5/15/2019 5:51 pm : link
In comment 14443235 Spider56 said:
Quote:
How many of the many OL guys really stood out as individuals ? A few maybe .. but OL play is more about cohesiveness, a system fit and capable guys doing their thing in unison ... I think our current roster can give us that ... Sure it would be nice to have some stars like that team in Texas, but itís not necessary to win.


The key word you use here is "cohesion." Basically the GMEN have 3 new OLinemen. But just like lats year the BBI "FAITHFUL" think comparing RT vs RT and RG vs RG etc will autatcially translate. - It won't.

And next year Remmers is gone. Next year we'll see our center isnt very good and you'll be spouting the same stuff about "cohesion."
Eli's...  
Brown_Hornet : 5/15/2019 5:55 pm : link
...gonna get him a ring.

- Championship~
Remmers  
GothamGiants : 5/17/2019 12:37 pm : link
Interesting stat
Heís .... pretty good - ( New Window )
he's a solid NFL right tackle  
bc4life : 5/18/2019 10:24 am : link
a rare and incredible athletic achievement
RE: he's a solid NFL right tackle  
GothamGiants : 5/18/2019 11:27 am : link
In comment 14448121 bc4life said:
Quote:
a rare and incredible athletic achievement


This. I donít understand how anyone could watch Hart/Wheeler over the years and not be thrilled with this signing

An ďaverageĒ RT is a huge upgrade.
RE: RE: he's a solid NFL right tackle  
Festina Lente : 5/18/2019 12:40 pm : link
In comment 14448155 GothamGiants said:
Quote:
In comment 14448121 bc4life said:


Quote:


a rare and incredible athletic achievement



This. I donít understand how anyone could watch Hart/Wheeler over the years and not be thrilled with this signing

An ďaverageĒ RT is a huge upgrade.
.

You would be correct IF he shows out as average, which is presumptive at this point. Average tackles are a hot commodity and usually arent signing budget prove it deals. Time will tell. Hope he stays fit and coaching staff can make it all work
I think 95% of BBI thinks he's an upgrade because it's another name  
widmerseyebrow : 5/18/2019 12:53 pm : link
The fact that really no one else wanted him says something. Expecting solid might be too much.
About a dozen OT's signed one-year deals this offseason...  
Klaatu : 5/18/2019 1:06 pm : link
Including Daryl Williams, who, like Remmers is coming off an injury. Williams is getting a few million more than Remmers, but he's four years younger. I think it's great that we got Remmers at a bargain price. We're paying less for him than the Jags are for Ereck Flowers.
RE: Remmers  
Giantz_comeback : 5/18/2019 2:34 pm : link
In comment 14447250 GothamGiants said:
Quote:
Interesting stat Heís .... pretty good - ( New Window )


Mike Remmers played RG exclusively last season. Prior to '18 he played 92.4% of his snaps at OT, 75% of those at RT.

Between '15-'17 he posted an overall grade of 71.7 when playing RT, 16th best among players with at least 1500 snaps at the position.

#GiantsPride

Smack Dabb average. Exactly what we need. A solid vet to complete the line. No more black holes at any OL position .
RE: About a dozen OT's signed one-year deals this offseason...  
HomerJones45 : 5/18/2019 2:35 pm : link
In comment 14448207 Klaatu said:
Quote:
Including Daryl Williams, who, like Remmers is coming off an injury. Williams is getting a few million more than Remmers, but he's four years younger. I think it's great that we got Remmers at a bargain price. We're paying less for him than the Jags are for Ereck Flowers.
The only thing that is 'deceptive' is people trying to sell a bum like Remmers as a serious upgrade- you know, people like yourself.

btw, I am sure you meant the Redskins signed Flowers which is where he signed. As for the contract, the market is the market and if he was cheap it was because he's a 30 year old, ham and egger lineman coming off an injury.
Back to the Corner