Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

NFT: They call Alabama the Crimson Tide

Milton : 5/14/2019 3:54 pm
This brother is free
I'll be what I want to be - ( New Window )
I think 'Aja' holds up very well  
Del Shofner : 5/14/2019 5:12 pm : link
as one of the best albums ever. Steely Dan at their peak and those great, great session musicians backing them.
Love this Donald Fagen video  
Steve in ATL : 5/14/2019 5:38 pm : link
where he talks about crafting music behind Peg.


Link - ( New Window )
I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets  
CypressGFan : 5/14/2019 5:40 pm : link
Make love to these women languid and bittersweet

Underrated lyric. Love the imagery of this.
The run of  
FranchiseQB : 5/14/2019 5:48 pm : link
Albums from Can't Buy a Thrill through Aja rate with the great album runs by any band ever. My personal faves are Countdown to Ecstacy and Katy Lied.
Still my favorite band  
lono801 : 5/14/2019 5:49 pm : link
Iím a Royal Scam guy tho...

Next is Katy Lied then AJA
I have all their studio  
rebel yell : 5/14/2019 6:29 pm : link
albums and all of Fagen's too. "The Royal Scam" islmy favorite, with "Haitian Divorce," their most under-rated song IMO. It's amazing how extraordinary they could be in the studio and how mediocre they were live.
It's astounding....  
rnargi : 5/14/2019 6:29 pm : link
...how much critical vitriol they received at certain periods of their history.
RE: I have all their studio  
Milton : 5/14/2019 6:32 pm : link
In comment 14443809 rebel yell said:
Quote:
It's amazing how extraordinary they could be in the studio and how mediocre they were live.
Interesting that you say that because I tried to find a live version to link but couldn't find one that was satisfactory.
Rebel  
lono801 : 5/14/2019 6:39 pm : link
Since you are a Royal Scam fan...my favorite song is Green Earrings

To me... itís absolutely brilliant

Saw them live a few times. The highlight being their first tour back playing live. Donít recall the year.
RE: Rebel  
rebel yell : 5/14/2019 6:51 pm : link
In comment 14443817 lono801 said:
Quote:
Since you are a Royal Scam fan...my favorite song is Green Earrings

To me... itís absolutely brilliant

Saw them live a few times. The highlight being their first tour back playing live. Donít recall the year.


Yep--that's a great one too. Another under-appreciated favorite is "Barrytown" off of "Pretzel Logic.
A great song...  
M.S. : 5/14/2019 6:57 pm : link

...one of the best. The lyrics far surpass most of went for popular music in the 70s and 80s:


You call me a fool
You say it's a crazy scheme
This one's for real
I already bought the dream
So useless to ask me why
Throw a kiss and say goodbye
I'll make it this time
I'm ready to cross that fine line
So you say thereís a race of men in the trees...  
flycatcher : 5/14/2019 7:11 pm : link
Youíre for tough legislation. Thanks for calling.
I wait all night for calls like these...
RE: I have all their studio  
Eman11 : 5/14/2019 8:27 pm : link
In comment 14443809 rebel yell said:
Quote:
albums and all of Fagen's too. "The Royal Scam" islmy favorite, with "Haitian Divorce," their most under-rated song IMO. It's amazing how extraordinary they could be in the studio and how mediocre they were live.


I have to disagree with saying they were mediocre live.

I was fortunate to catch a half dozen of their Beacon Theater run shows they did every October. I saw all the album's mentioned in this thread performed as well as a greatest hits night and request night. Those Beacon shows were far, far from mediocre and IMO, they were all absolutely fantastic.

I didn't hear anyone leaving any of those shows saying they were mediocre. In fact at some pubs post shows everyone I spoke to felt like I did. Glad they went and blown away by how good they were.
RE: It's astounding....  
Crispino : 5/15/2019 10:16 am : link
In comment 14443810 rnargi said:
Quote:
...how much critical vitriol they received at certain periods of their history.


It doesnít help that theyíre a staple on the Yacht Rock station on Sirius XM.
...  
Chuck Q : 5/15/2019 10:46 am : link
the musicianship and production on all are from another planet but Katy Lied has the best collection of songs - I think. However the 'sound' of Aja and how the songs fit together musically and sonically may only be triumphed by Abby Road. Fagen's Nightly just may be the best of the bunch.
nightly = night fly  
Chuck Q : 5/15/2019 10:47 am : link
...
AJA - perfection.  
x meadowlander : 5/15/2019 11:17 am : link
One of my all time favorites, I can't think of many albums that sound better than that one, the production of Steely's work - of Fagan's perfection is notorious, but that album shines above the rest because of the song quality and performances.

The drumming at the end of the title cut still stands as one of my favorite pieces ever - just amazing.

LOVE Skunk Baxter's guitar work in their earlier recordings.

One of my favorite bands, great sound, Fagan's shaky voice juxtaposed against flat-out gorgeous compositions.
RE: RE: I have all their studio  
x meadowlander : 5/15/2019 11:23 am : link
In comment 14443927 Eman11 said:
Quote:
In comment 14443809 rebel yell said:


Quote:


albums and all of Fagen's too. "The Royal Scam" islmy favorite, with "Haitian Divorce," their most under-rated song IMO. It's amazing how extraordinary they could be in the studio and how mediocre they were live.



I have to disagree with saying they were mediocre live.

I was fortunate to catch a half dozen of their Beacon Theater run shows they did every October. I saw all the album's mentioned in this thread performed as well as a greatest hits night and request night. Those Beacon shows were far, far from mediocre and IMO, they were all absolutely fantastic.

I didn't hear anyone leaving any of those shows saying they were mediocre. In fact at some pubs post shows everyone I spoke to felt like I did. Glad they went and blown away by how good they were.


The story with Steely Live is that they could NOT pull it off in the 70's - during a notoriously awful tour I think in 74', the band broke up in the middle of it, Michael McDonald and Skunk Baxter moving on to the Doobies.

I'm gonna say it was around 1990, I had free tickets to a 'Rhythm and Soul Review' at the Beacon with Fagan, McDonald, Phoebe Snow - I recall Fagan saying to the crowd during that show that the technology didn't exist in the 70's to properly present Steely live - they then tore into 'Black Friday' - flawlessly. The next year, the same show came around, I again had free tickets and this time, there were more Steely cuts - shortly after, Steely Dan reunited and began actively touring and yes - sounded fantastic.

I saw them in the early 90's at the Byrne arena, and like so many other bands, they could not conquer the horrible acoustics of that room, the bass and drums a muddy mess.

Only bands I ever saw conquer the Byrne were Springsteen, Deep Purple and U2. Takes a shit-ton of raw power to overcome that cavernous ceiling.
RE: AJA - perfection.  
Del Shofner : 5/15/2019 11:37 am : link
In comment 14444713 x meadowlander said:
Quote:
LOVE Skunk Baxter's guitar work in their earlier recordings.

If y'all are Dan fans you probably know this already, but Skunk Baxter went on to an improbable but important second career as a missile defense consultant to the U.S. Department of Defense. A fascinating life story.

Skunk - ( New Window )
"Call me Deacon Blues"  
short lease : 5/16/2019 10:29 am : link

One of the greatest song lyrics ever written.

Becker/Fagan were like Lennon/McCartney in the sense that both teams always delivered. Completely different styles for sure but, quality compositions on a regular basis.
Steely Dan's deserted Island song #1  
short lease : 5/16/2019 10:38 am : link
.

"The mechanised hum of another world" - ( New Window )
Steely Dan's deserted island song #2  
short lease : 5/16/2019 10:41 am : link
.

"He said you must be joking son - where did you get those shoes?" - ( New Window )
They always used the best drummers ....  
short lease : 5/16/2019 10:45 am : link
Steve Gadd, Bernard Purdie, Rick Moratta, etc ...
And, the best guitarists .....  
short lease : 5/16/2019 10:49 am : link

Larry Carlton, Jeff Baxter, Denny Dias, and even Walter Becker could deliver a great solo.
RE: RE: AJA - perfection.  
short lease : 5/16/2019 10:53 am : link
In comment 14444748 Del Shofner said:
Quote:
In comment 14444713 x meadowlander said:


Quote:


LOVE Skunk Baxter's guitar work in their earlier recordings.


If y'all are Dan fans you probably know this already, but Skunk Baxter went on to an improbable but important second career as a missile defense consultant to the U.S. Department of Defense. A fascinating life story. Skunk - ( New Window )


Fuckin' A Del ... I did not know that. I thought he went on to The Doobie Brothers?

Dam - from first call studio musician to Defense consultant? That doesn't even make sense to me .... (another example of ) you can't write that ending - nobody would believe it.
Baxter did go on to the Doobie Bros...  
x meadowlander : 5/16/2019 11:14 am : link
...I LOVE the sick guitar intro he did on 'Don't Stop to Watch the Wheels go round'.

Yeah, the missile defense consultant gig was bizarre, but he was always an oddball. Only guitarist I ever saw who would play live sitting in a recliner.
RE: Baxter did go on to the Doobie Bros...  
short lease : 5/16/2019 11:19 am : link
In comment 14446069 x meadowlander said:
Quote:
...I LOVE the sick guitar intro he did on 'Don't Stop to Watch the Wheels go round'.

Yeah, the missile defense consultant gig was bizarre, but he was always an oddball. Only guitarist I ever saw who would play live sitting in a recliner.


That's right (forgot about that) ... he used to sit on a stool alot also. ?
Skunk was THERE...  
x meadowlander : 5/16/2019 11:45 am : link
...when RERUN dropped the tape recorder RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE STAGE while the Doobies were playing!

Stopped the show dead.

I learned so much from that. I NEVER tried recording a concert and dancing after seeing that!
RE: ...  
jdf : 5/16/2019 12:23 pm : link
In comment 14444650 Chuck Q said:
Quote:
the musicianship and production on all are from another planet but Katy Lied has the best collection of songs - I think. However the 'sound' of Aja and how the songs fit together musically and sonically may only be triumphed by Abby Road. Fagen's Night Fly just may be the best of the bunch.


Night Fly was quote, but Fagan's second solo album Kamakiriad is even better, IMO. Any Dan fans should check it out.
Night Fly was "great"  
jdf : 5/16/2019 12:24 pm : link
I meant to say...
^^^^  
Del Shofner : 5/16/2019 12:51 pm : link
jdf - I'm a fan of both of those albums (as well as a big Dan fan generally, of course). But am I the only one who ever bought Walter Becker's one solo album, "Eleven Tracks of Whack"? You never hear it. Some strange and dark stuff on there. I will say about Becker - by late Steely Dan (Two Against Nature and Everything Must Go), he was playing bass on most of the tunes and evolved into one of my favorite bass players.
RE: ^^^^  
jdf : 5/17/2019 1:50 pm : link
In comment 14446242 Del Shofner said:
Quote:
jdf - I'm a fan of both of those albums (as well as a big Dan fan generally, of course). But am I the only one who ever bought Walter Becker's one solo album, "Eleven Tracks of Whack"? You never hear it. Some strange and dark stuff on there. I will say about Becker - by late Steely Dan (Two Against Nature and Everything Must Go), he was playing bass on most of the tunes and evolved into one of my favorite bass players.


I wasn't aware of that one, Del. I'll have to check it out. Sounds like Becker had a really traumatic childhood. There was so much talent on Steely Dan.
Steely Dan  
Dave in PA : 5/17/2019 2:08 pm : link
By far my fathers favorite band. He still wears the hell out of a faded Aja tour shirt. Was lucky enough to go with my Dad to a Dan show 5 or 6 years ago.
RE: AJA - perfection.  
short lease : 5/25/2019 12:59 pm : link
In comment 14444713 x meadowlander said:
Quote:
One of my all time favorites, I can't think of many albums that sound better than that one, the production of Steely's work - of Fagan's perfection is notorious, but that album shines above the rest because of the song quality and performances.

The drumming at the end of the title cut still stands as one of my favorite pieces ever - just amazing.

LOVE Skunk Baxter's guitar work in their earlier recordings.

One of my favorite bands, great sound, Fagan's shaky voice juxtaposed against flat-out gorgeous compositions.


I believe that is Steve Gadd ML. He was (still is) a first call studio musician in the 70's. He recently (recently meaning the last decade or so) toured with Eric Clapton and James Taylor - that I know of.

He is one of my favorite drummers of all time.
Link - ( New Window )
Meadowlander -  
short lease : 5/25/2019 1:05 pm : link

Gadd also did the drum work on Paul Simon's "50 ways to leave your lover".

I am not sure if he did the whole album but, that was him for sure - on the single.
1 of my favorite drum licks of all time .



I have a lot of favorites .... ; ).
Top 5 band ever for  
Rick5 : 5/27/2019 9:34 pm : link
me. I remember learning Larry Carlton's solo on Kid Charlamagne when I was about 20. It is still one of the greatest rock solos ever to me. I listen to Steely Dan at least a couple of times per month and my 14-year-old son has become a huge fan too.
RE: Top 5 band ever for  
short lease : 5/29/2019 11:15 pm : link
In comment 14456811 Rick5 said:
Quote:
me. I remember learning Larry Carlton's solo on Kid Charlamagne when I was about 20. It is still one of the greatest rock solos ever to me. I listen to Steely Dan at least a couple of times per month and my 14-year-old son has become a huge fan too.


Great guitar solo.
One of the best "Summer Albums"  
montanagiant : 5/30/2019 12:22 am : link
Ever....

You can't hear and not think of the warm months
My parents were big Steely Dan fans when I was growing up  
Greg from LI : 5/30/2019 9:11 am : link
Never saw the big deal about them as a kid, but as I grew older I came to appreciate them quite a bit. Maybe they're just something you need to age into.
RE: RE: Top 5 band ever for  
x meadowlander : 5/30/2019 9:25 am : link
In comment 14458335 short lease said:
Quote:
In comment 14456811 Rick5 said:


Quote:


me. I remember learning Larry Carlton's solo on Kid Charlamagne when I was about 20. It is still one of the greatest rock solos ever to me. I listen to Steely Dan at least a couple of times per month and my 14-year-old son has become a huge fan too.



Great guitar solo.
Skunk's guitar work in 'My Old School' one of my favorites.

Also, the drumming on the title cut of 'Aja' is bananas.
duh.  
x meadowlander : 5/30/2019 9:26 am : link
Didn't realize it was the thread from a couple of weeks back.:\
Back to the Corner