Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

LT Nate Solder having minor surgery

Anakim : 5/17/2019 11:07 am
Ian Rapaport:

The #Giants rebuilt offensive is set to go through the spring without starting LT Nate Solder. Sources tell me and
@MikeGarafolo
that Solder had arthroscopic surgery to clean out his ankle after dealing with bone spurs and thatíll be back by training camp. Not considered major.
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
bone spurs don't disappear on their own  
Torrag : 5/17/2019 12:06 pm : link
He should have gotten this done months ago...imo.
RE: RE: The definition of minor surgery -  
Klaatu : 5/17/2019 12:15 pm : link
In comment 14447193 Anakim said:
Quote:
In comment 14447157 since1925 said:


Quote:


Surgery on someone else.

That said, I've have bone spurs and when they act up I can barely walk. Good move to have them cleared up.



I heard it can keep you out of the military......


Good thing it can't keep you out of The White House.
He will  
mdthedream : 5/17/2019 12:36 pm : link
be back for training camp.
be back for training camp  
Torrag : 5/17/2019 12:38 pm : link
But will miss the rest of the pre season mini camps and training.
RE: RE: The definition of minor surgery -  
TJ : 5/17/2019 12:40 pm : link
In comment 14447193 Anakim said:
Quote:
In comment 14447157 since1925 said:


Quote:


Surgery on someone else.

That said, I've have bone spurs and when they act up I can barely walk. Good move to have them cleared up.



I heard it can keep you out of the military......


you got me - now everyone in the office wants to know what's so amusing about the work i am supposedly doing
Of COURSE he is...  
rnargi : 5/17/2019 12:42 pm : link
...
RE: There isn't a backup LT on this team.  
ColHowPepper : 5/17/2019 12:44 pm : link
In comment 14447122 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
I mean in reality it's probably wheeler, but that's as good as a moist paper towel.
TTH, true re no true back-up--and I'm very far down the list of the rose-colored glasses inclined here--but I actually thought he looked better at LT, at least in PPro, because of his feet and agility. Who knows if he's put in any work in the weight room this off-season?
arthoscopic surgery on the ankle  
Vanzetti : 5/17/2019 12:59 pm : link
i wouldn't really call that minor. It's not career or season-ending, but it could very well affect him--not least in the other leg through compensation
when does it specify a date?  
giants#1 : 5/17/2019 1:10 pm : link
The actual tweet says that he had surgery. That could've been in January, last week, or anytime in between.

Even 'minor' surgery I would think would keep him off his feet for 3-6 weeks.
also  
giants#1 : 5/17/2019 1:12 pm : link
does 'miss' mini-camp mean he won't attend or just that he won't be on the field taking reps? If it's just the latter, it shouldn't be a huge deal for a vet and he should still be able to get some film work in with the rest of his line mates.
Not missing much  
RicosRoidedElbow : 5/17/2019 1:22 pm : link
he was garbage the first half of the season as well
Think any kind of surgery  
TMS : 5/17/2019 1:32 pm : link
will take a rehab period in the NFL. Not good news at a position of relative strength last year.
Wondering if this was bothering him last season.  
Blue21 : 5/17/2019 1:41 pm : link
.
...  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 5/17/2019 1:45 pm : link

Art Stapleton
‏Verified account @art_stapleton
46m46 minutes ago

Art Stapleton Retweeted David J. Chao, MD

Solder had the surgery yesterday. Offseason program ends June 13.
Ugh  
Rong5611 : 5/17/2019 1:53 pm : link
Heís solid. Chad Wheeler is the back up. Doesnít hurt that he will get reps. Hopefully this isnít an issue going into the regular season.
This will put our 6-10 season  
Jimmy Googs : 5/17/2019 1:54 pm : link
in jeopardy...
I had my knee scoped five weeks ago  
George : 5/17/2019 2:10 pm : link
Almost walking normally now. Should be cleared to run in another five weeks. Solder should be able to do light stuff by the middle of July.
We have know idea when  
BigBlueDownTheShore : 5/17/2019 2:56 pm : link
He HAD the surgery.

Key word in that paragraph was he had it done. He could have had it done earlier then everyone is thinking and just rehabbing it now.
He was injured last season correct?  
Brown Recluse : 5/17/2019 3:03 pm : link
I took this to mean the surgery was to clean out the area. Which means he should be healthy for training camp. This isnt a new injury unless Iím mistaken.
Canít fix everything in an off-season  
Matt G : 5/17/2019 3:19 pm : link
But this OL still scares the crap outta me
Itís held together w/ rubber bands, paper clips, hopes and prayers  
Matt G : 5/17/2019 3:23 pm : link
Next offseason, I really hope we make upgrades AND add some depth
Iím super  
King Quis : 5/17/2019 3:59 pm : link
Happy to see this. You never wanna see anyone go down but this is a golden opportunity for these young guys to get some burn and show if they have what weíre looking for in a left tackle
Wheeler getting the LT reps in fine.  
mittenedman : 5/17/2019 4:12 pm : link
Big George will end up getting plenty of 1st team reps in place of Remmers at RT.

Hoping at least 1 of Evan Brown, O'Hagan and AA become a starter. Have a feeling Gettleman is going to find somebody.
Our O-line is greatly improved...  
M.S. : 5/17/2019 4:13 pm : link

...but the Giants haven't exactly put together a young unit that can lead the way for the next 7 - 10 years like they did down in Dallas.

Nate Solder is 31; Mike Remmers is 30; Kevin Zeitler is 29; and even the un-tried Jon Halapio is 28.


I expect  
Joey in VA : 5/17/2019 4:20 pm : link
An OL heavy draft for us next year. He knows how old these guys are and the supply in college this year wasn't to his liking. It's just like CB, he signed a bunch of older middle of the age bracket vets to one year deals. Then we add Beal, Bethea, Peppers, Love, Baker and Ballentine. He's a cluster drafter it appears.
RE: Our O-line is greatly improved...  
Big Blue '56 : 5/17/2019 4:23 pm : link
In comment 14447604 M.S. said:
Quote:

...but the Giants haven't exactly put together a young unit that can lead the way for the next 7 - 10 years like they did down in Dallas.

Nate Solder is 31; Mike Remmers is 30; Kevin Zeitler is 29; and even the un-tried Jon Halapio is 28.



Certainly we need to fortify with young talent, but OL playing at a respectable to high level into their mid-30s is far from unusual
DG  
Paulie Walnuts : 5/17/2019 4:34 pm : link
has to pick up a serviceable Vet OT
I'm sure he'll be fine  
David B. : 5/17/2019 5:23 pm : link
by the time it matters.

But yeah. This didn't grow overnight in the offseason. He could have had this done in January.
Ooof.  
Dave in Hoboken : 5/17/2019 5:46 pm : link
I know it's 'minor', but still not very comforting, especially with this OL.
RE: Surgery is always the last option  
robbieballs2003 : 5/17/2019 5:54 pm : link
In comment 14447134 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
Doctors don't want to cut people open unless all other avenues have been explored.

But with bone spurs, I wonder why they decided to wait.


This isn't true at all. Nowadays it is usually the first option especially in the offseason. People choose to try other methods to avoid surgeries. Most doctors don't try all other avenues first.
FWIW, have a friend  
section125 : 5/17/2019 7:39 pm : link
73 years old, just had arthroscopic hernia surgery three weeks ago. He has been playing golf for over a week. So I would expect a 30 year old can be back in less than 8 weeks.
RE: RE: Our O-line is greatly improved...  
adamg : 5/17/2019 7:54 pm : link
In comment 14447615 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
In comment 14447604 M.S. said:


Quote:



...but the Giants haven't exactly put together a young unit that can lead the way for the next 7 - 10 years like they did down in Dallas.

Nate Solder is 31; Mike Remmers is 30; Kevin Zeitler is 29; and even the un-tried Jon Halapio is 28.





Certainly we need to fortify with young talent, but OL playing at a respectable to high level into their mid-30s is far from unusual


Agreed. Not to mention Remmers is a stopgap who I would wager will be replaced by a 23 year old draft pick next year. Having just a 5 year plan is an improvement over what we've been doing.
RE: I'm sure he'll be fine  
BigBlueShock : 5/17/2019 7:57 pm : link
In comment 14447670 David B. said:
Quote:
by the time it matters.

But yeah. This didn't grow overnight in the offseason. He could have had this done in January.

How the fuck do you know this? You think they intentionally waited because they wanted to screw themselves?

Giants fans suck.
RE: RE: and this couldn't have been done in January?  
Eman11 : 5/17/2019 7:58 pm : link
In comment 14447131 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
In comment 14447075 gtt350 said:


Quote:


.



No, just to piss you off.


Him and Francessa. The Pope went off on him for this and it was borderline slander. Said here's a guy who just doesn't want to go to trading camp. Got his money and knows he's the starter so he put this off until now because he can. What is the team gonna do? He said if he was an owner no way guys would get away with this type of thing.

I couldn't believe how much he ripped him and was talking as if he knew it was an older injury that could've been taken care of and not a new injury. It might very well be an older injury but no way he would know that, or if Solder put it off to avoid training camp.

RE: RE: Surgery is always the last option  
Percy : 5/17/2019 9:53 pm : link
In comment 14447690 robbieballs2003 said:
Quote:
In comment 14447134 Ten Ton Hammer said:


Quote:


Doctors don't want to cut people open unless all other avenues have been explored.

But with bone spurs, I wonder why they decided to wait.



This isn't true at all. Nowadays it is usually the first option especially in the offseason. People choose to try other methods to avoid surgeries. Most doctors don't try all other avenues first.


"First option" sort of surprising idea. Of course, it's not my ankle or way of earning a buck. Hope all is well and see no reason not to.
RE: RE: RE: The definition of minor surgery -  
Bluesbreaker : 5/17/2019 9:55 pm : link
In comment 14447216 Klaatu said:
Quote:
In comment 14447193 Anakim said:


Quote:


In comment 14447157 since1925 said:


Quote:


Surgery on someone else.

That said, I've have bone spurs and when they act up I can barely walk. Good move to have them cleared up.



I heard it can keep you out of the military......



Good thing it can't keep you out of The White House.

Whats that have to do with football ???
RE: RE: RE: and this couldn't have been done in January?  
darren in pdx : 5/17/2019 11:44 pm : link
In comment 14447780 Eman11 said:
Quote:
In comment 14447131 UConn4523 said:


Quote:


In comment 14447075 gtt350 said:


Quote:


.



No, just to piss you off.



Him and Francessa. The Pope went off on him for this and it was borderline slander. Said here's a guy who just doesn't want to go to trading camp. Got his money and knows he's the starter so he put this off until now because he can. What is the team gonna do? He said if he was an owner no way guys would get away with this type of thing.

I couldn't believe how much he ripped him and was talking as if he knew it was an older injury that could've been taken care of and not a new injury. It might very well be an older injury but no way he would know that, or if Solder put it off to avoid training camp.


Yes, the logic of any sane person to get out of training camp, to endure pain until the last possible moment to have surgery done. That makes perfect sense.
Solder will be fine.  
flycatcher : 5/18/2019 7:44 am : link
Heíll start the season healed up and sans bone spurs. Meantime in OTAs the seconds get valuable time with the starters.
We should be happy.
Yeah, sounds like folks are  
Jimmy Googs : 5/18/2019 8:25 am : link
pretty happy...
We'll have a balanced attack with our RT, LT and C recovering  
Marty in Albany : 5/18/2019 10:46 am : link
from surgery or injury. (I don't think Manny in CA needs to worry about Eli having a career year, although everyone but Manny already knew that.)
RE: I expect  
Tuckrule : 5/18/2019 11:04 am : link
In comment 14447613 Joey in VA said:
Quote:
An OL heavy draft for us next year. He knows how old these guys are and the supply in college this year wasn't to his liking. It's just like CB, he signed a bunch of older middle of the age bracket vets to one year deals. Then we add Beal, Bethea, Peppers, Love, Baker and Ballentine. He's a cluster drafter it appears.


I wouldnít say that. Our secondary or lack there of was a unique situation. Riley, Webb, Apple,Ladler, deayon, Lippett all obviously underwhelmed. The secondary needed a makeover and only way to successfully do that in one offseason is to stock pile via the draft/free agency.
^^^^  
Tuckrule : 5/18/2019 11:05 am : link
To add to this our offensive line is not in shambles. We have both guards signed. Left tackle signed. Basically your talking about right tackle IF halapio works out or pulley.
Dont know what  
XBRONX : 5/18/2019 11:26 am : link
Lippett offers. but fans are ripping him off of one game played last year.
Did we know about this before the draft and FA ?  
TMS : 5/18/2019 11:52 am : link
Have to believe they did, DG has been pretty thorough in his planning. It may not be as big a deal as we are assuming if they anticipated it. MO.
RE: ^^^^  
Klaatu : 5/18/2019 12:19 pm : link
In comment 14448137 Tuckrule said:
Quote:
To add to this our offensive line is not in shambles. We have both guards signed. Left tackle signed. Basically your talking about right tackle IF halapio works out or pulley.


No, it's not in shambles, but it's middle-of-the-pack at best, with little or no quality depth backing up the starters. We know Remmers is only signed for one year, but you also have to wonder just how long we can depend on Solder? Ditto for Zeitler, who will be 30 next year. Sure, some O-Linemen play well into their 30's, but others don't, and I'd hate to see the Giants go through what they did in 2012-2013. And "if" Halapio or Pulley work out? Brother, that's a big "if."
...  
christian : 5/18/2019 3:05 pm : link
The issue with Solder isn't a bone spur getting plucked out 4 months from the opener.

He's going to be the same reliable, unexceptional, now very expensive tackle he's been his whole career.

The issue is finding someone to groom and be at the ready when a guy in his 9th, 10th, and 11th year in the league and making 17-18M dollars, falls off the cliff.
RE: ...  
TMS : 5/18/2019 3:28 pm : link
In comment 14448241 christian said:
Quote:
The issue with Solder isn't a bone spur getting plucked out 4 months from the opener.

He's going to be the same reliable, unexceptional, now very expensive tackle he's been his whole career.

The issue is finding someone to groom and be at the ready when a guy in his 9th, 10th, and 11th year in the league and making 17-18M dollars, falls off the cliff.
. True enough and think nobody is more aware of that than DG and Abrams. We have cap space next year and do not have to go into hock for a QB either.
RE: RE: ...  
christian : 5/18/2019 3:42 pm : link
In comment 14448254 TMS said:
Quote:
In comment 14448241 christian said:


Quote:


The issue with Solder isn't a bone spur getting plucked out 4 months from the opener.

He's going to be the same reliable, unexceptional, now very expensive tackle he's been his whole career.

The issue is finding someone to groom and be at the ready when a guy in his 9th, 10th, and 11th year in the league and making 17-18M dollars, falls off the cliff.

. True enough and think nobody is more aware of that than DG and Abrams. We have cap space next year and do not have to go into hock for a QB either.


It's notable Gettleman has picked 4 DTs and 1 OT over the last 2 years.

There's a steady pool of talent at all stages on the d-line, it'd be nice if there was the same on the o-line.

My big prediction is Wheeler would be a much better LT that RT if called on.
Crickets  
Bluesbreaker : 5/18/2019 6:32 pm : link
Pretty much what I expected panties in a bunch twats
Better than a stool pusher and a Trannie ....
RE: RE: The definition of minor surgery -  
GeofromNJ : 5/19/2019 12:54 am : link
In comment 14447193 Anakim said:
Quote:
In comment 14447157 since1925 said:


Quote:


Surgery on someone else.

That said, I've have bone spurs and when they act up I can barely walk. Good move to have them cleared up.



I heard it can keep you out of the military......

Bone spurs are so serious that even if you don't actually have them, they can keep you out of the military.
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner