Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

2020 draft - wide receivers

Ira : 5/17/2019 2:50 pm
I know that it's more than early to look at next April's draft. But having traded Beckham and knowing that the '19 draft class was supposed to be deep at receiver, I was surprised that the Giants didn't select one until late in the 5th round. Then I started looking at the wideouts that might be in the 2020 draft and I'm wondering if that didn't have something to do with it.

Quote:
Alabama’s Jerry Jeudy, Colorado’s Laviska Shenault, Oklahoma’s Ceedee Lamb, Oklahoma State’s Tylan Wallace, Texas’ Collin Johnson, Clemson’s Tee Higgins, Minnesota’s Tyler Johnson and TCU’s Jalen Reagor have all firmly put themselves in the first-round conversation for next spring with their on-field performance already. 2020 will quite easily be the best receiver class since 2014.

Jalen Reagor, Jerry Jeudy highlight a WR class that should break the 2020 NFL Draft - ( New Window )
I'm hoping for  
Giantsfan79 : 5/17/2019 2:53 pm : link
Tristan Wirfs or Tyler Biadasz. They both look like they could be elite players.
How convenient ...  
GothamGiants : 5/17/2019 3:18 pm : link
we need a WR

Come on. Just keep improving the OL and front seven.  
yatqb : 5/17/2019 3:27 pm : link
We can win without a star WR but not if we are still a finesse team. I want us to out physical every other team.
I can't imagine that this influenced the Giants' thinking much.  
81_Great_Dane : 5/17/2019 3:36 pm : link
There are lot of holes to fill on the team, there simply aren't enough draft picks and not enough cap room in 2019 to fix everything at once. So it's not surprising WR wasn't a top priority this offseason.

As for next offseason and the 2020 draft, it's premature to make plans based on what what next year's WR class might look like. Some guys will have bad senior seasons, some guys will surprise and shoot up the board.

It's mid-May. We'll have a better idea in about six months. Which will still be almost six months before the 2020 draft.
There are guys who look like legit stars  
Anakim : 5/17/2019 3:37 pm : link
Jeudy, Lamb, Shenault, Kendrick Rogers, and Tee Higgins could all be superstars.

Collin Johnson has the wingspan of like Yao Ming
Was 19 deep at WR?  
Jint Fan in Buc Land : 5/17/2019 3:44 pm : link
I don't recall reading that and hearing guys like Metcalf, who's claim to fame is a shirtless pick, talked about so extensively that would seem to back it up.

Maybe it had a lot of mid level talent? Reading about next year it sounds much better.
RE: Was 19 deep at WR?  
Anakim : 5/17/2019 3:48 pm : link
In comment 14447570 Jint Fan in Buc Land said:
Quote:
I don't recall reading that and hearing guys like Metcalf, who's claim to fame is a shirtless pick, talked about so extensively that would seem to back it up.

Maybe it had a lot of mid level talent? Reading about next year it sounds much better.


I would've really liked N'Keal Harry at 17
Thanks, but no thanks.  
Klaatu : 5/17/2019 3:49 pm : link
OL and ER. Then more OL.
RE: Thanks, but no thanks.  
BlueLou'sBack : 5/17/2019 4:27 pm : link
In comment 14447576 Klaatu said:
Quote:
OL and ER. Then more OL.


Lucky for you, the "other" strength of the 2020 draft class besides WR and top QB is OLTs, supposedly.

Forgot where I read that, but it's out there.
Imma say this right now:  
tyrik13 : 5/17/2019 4:31 pm : link
Lavishka Shenault from Colorado is who we will draft to be our WR1 in next year’s draft. If you do not know who this kid is, you had better educate yourself yesterday!! He is a fucking beast, reminds me of Terrell Owens but with better hands and more versatility.
It Golden  
MotownGIANTS : 5/17/2019 4:32 pm : link
Carter produce as hoped and the 3rd rder shows promise we'll be in a good place even with the team picking in the middle of each rd ... 10-6 make playoffs 2nd rd exit ...

Let a QB fall and we are in the driving seat.
RE: Was 19 deep at WR?  
Milton : 5/17/2019 4:33 pm : link
In comment 14447570 Jint Fan in Buc Land said:
Quote:
I don't recall reading that and hearing guys like Metcalf, who's claim to fame is a shirtless pick, talked about so extensively that would seem to back it up.
It was considered to be deep, but lacking in star power. A lot of Day Two talent, not a lot of Day One talent.
If we have to wait to 2021 to get our WR1  
tyrik13 : 5/17/2019 4:34 pm : link
Then it’s a no-brainer, Justyn Ross for Clemson!! He will be a top 10, if not top 5 draft pick along with Trevor Lawrence in the 2021 draft. He absolutely destroyed Bama in the championship game and the kid was a true frosh along with Lawrence. He’s Julio Jones all over again. Yes please!!
RE: Imma say this right now:  
GothamGiants : 5/17/2019 4:52 pm : link
In comment 14447621 tyrik13 said:
Quote:
Lavishka Shenault from Colorado is who we will draft to be our WR1 in next year’s draft. If you do not know who this kid is, you had better educate yourself yesterday!! He is a fucking beast, reminds me of Terrell Owens but with better hands and more versatility.


Love him as well
I love Shenault too  
90.Cal : 5/17/2019 6:44 pm : link
But I also love Jeudy and Higgins and Lamb. I Would he happy with any of them. Next years OT/OL class looks solid at the top too. We could replace OBJ a year late or replace Solder a year early with our top pick next year.
Next draft will need to be deep  
TJ : 5/17/2019 6:59 pm : link
we won't be picking til high twenties earliest
RE: RE: Was 19 deep at WR?  
Jay on the Island : 5/17/2019 7:10 pm : link
In comment 14447628 Milton said:
Quote:
In comment 14447570 Jint Fan in Buc Land said:


Quote:


I don't recall reading that and hearing guys like Metcalf, who's claim to fame is a shirtless pick, talked about so extensively that would seem to back it up.

It was considered to be deep, but lacking in star power. A lot of Day Two talent, not a lot of Day One talent.

Correct, the 2019 draft was praised for the depth at WR but there wasn't any elite top 10 talent like AJ Green, Julio Jones types. Next years draft features at least one in Jerry Jeudy. I would love to add him as the long term #1 for Jones but there is no way the Giants are picking high enough to secure his rights.
Chase Claypool  
Blue Ninja : 5/17/2019 7:11 pm : link
6'4", 225 lbs, plays inside and out and is a very good athlete with good ball skills. Very good run blocker too.

Coming from Canada, he didn't play big time football until ND. He will be very good this year and probably in that mix or 1st or 2nd.
In Carolina, Gettleman liked receivers who were big targets and good  
Ira : 5/17/2019 8:11 pm : link
blockers. With Barkley as our running back, that may be even more the case.
Good grief, can we at least wait until mid season to start this!  
SterlingArcher : 5/17/2019 10:12 pm : link
.
RE: Imma say this right now:  
eric2425ny : 5/17/2019 10:24 pm : link
In comment 14447621 tyrik13 said:
Quote:
Lavishka Shenault from Colorado is who we will draft to be our WR1 in next year’s draft. If you do not know who this kid is, you had better educate yourself yesterday!! He is a fucking beast, reminds me of Terrell Owens but with better hands and more versatility.


Guy looks like a monster. Also like that he makes the big play and just flips the ball on the ground or to the ref and doesn’t make a big spectacle of himself.
Shenault  
GothamGiants : 5/18/2019 8:20 am : link
For those you aren’t familiar; Imagine if Ahmad Bradshaw was a 6’2 220 pound WR

Skillset is absolutely perfect for Shurmur’s offense and Jones’ strengths
L.Shenault - ( New Window )
Michigan has 3 possible really good ones as  
barens : 5/18/2019 8:20 am : link
Well.
J.Jeudy  
GothamGiants : 5/18/2019 8:28 am : link
Wouldn’t mind this guy either ... although I remain hopeful we wont be drafting high enough to acquire him
J.J. Juke - ( New Window )
RE: RE: Thanks, but no thanks.  
Klaatu : 5/18/2019 8:36 am : link
In comment 14447617 BlueLou'sBack said:
Quote:
In comment 14447576 Klaatu said:


Quote:


OL and ER. Then more OL.



Lucky for you, the "other" strength of the 2020 draft class besides WR and top QB is OLTs, supposedly.

Forgot where I read that, but it's out there.


The "strength of the draft" is never set in stone, especially not a year away from it. Too many variables, too many things that can happen in that year. Regardless, I can understand why Gettleman gave short shrift to the O-Line in this recent draft, but next year should be a different story.
RE: RE: RE: Thanks, but no thanks.  
GothamGiants : 5/18/2019 9:01 am : link
In comment 14448053 Klaatu said:
Quote:
In comment 14447617 BlueLou'sBack said:


Quote:


In comment 14447576 Klaatu said:


Quote:


OL and ER. Then more OL.



Lucky for you, the "other" strength of the 2020 draft class besides WR and top QB is OLTs, supposedly.

Forgot where I read that, but it's out there.



The "strength of the draft" is never set in stone, especially not a year away from it. Too many variables, too many things that can happen in that year. Regardless, I can understand why Gettleman gave short shrift to the O-Line in this recent draft, but next year should be a different story.


While very true ... it won’t shock me if 8-10 WRs go 1st round next year. Lots can happen to change that for sure, but This class is shaping up to be amazing - with the “elite” prospects paired with a lot of depth. 2019 was all about defense, I expect the 2020 draft to shift back towards the offense, especially at WR
RE: J.Jeudy  
Ira : 5/18/2019 9:04 am : link
In comment 14448044 GothamGiants said:
Quote:
Wouldn’t mind this guy either ... although I remain hopeful we wont be drafting high enough to acquire him J.J. Juke - ( New Window )


That move reminds me of Ike Hilliard.
RE: RE: J.Jeudy  
GothamGiants : 5/18/2019 9:07 am : link
In comment 14448079 Ira said:
Quote:
In comment 14448044 GothamGiants said:


Quote:


Wouldn’t mind this guy either ... although I remain hopeful we wont be drafting high enough to acquire him J.J. Juke - ( New Window )



That move reminds me of Ike Hilliard.


I thought the same thing haha ... although JJ is the bigger, significantly faster version
Stop n Pop - ( New Window )
The investment in Shepard and Tate suggests they are 1/1A thru 2020.  
Big Blue Blogger : 5/18/2019 10:22 am : link
Of course, if the value is right a WR could be the pick in Round 1. But if finding a #1 receiver is an urgent priority this winter, it means the current plan didn’t work out very well.
hopefully  
bc4life : 5/18/2019 10:26 am : link
the draft will be rich in OL and OLBs next year
don't draft positions  
LakeGeorgeGiant : 5/18/2019 11:40 am : link
draft players
RE: I can't imagine that this influenced the Giants' thinking much.  
Bluesbreaker : 5/18/2019 6:51 pm : link
In comment 14447558 81_Great_Dane said:
Quote:
There are lot of holes to fill on the team, there simply aren't enough draft picks and not enough cap room in 2019 to fix everything at once. So it's not surprising WR wasn't a top priority this offseason.

As for next offseason and the 2020 draft, it's premature to make plans based on what what next year's WR class might look like. Some guys will have bad senior seasons, some guys will surprise and shoot up the board.

It's mid-May. We'll have a better idea in about six months. Which will still be almost six months before the 2020 draft.


Agree 100% an O-line that imposes its will with the
Best RB in football . Can we also find a Strahan
clone .
Back to the Corner