Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Shurmur's tone changed when discussing Jabrill Peppers

Eric from BBI : Admin : 5/20/2019 2:59 pm
in today's presser in a good way. You can tell he's thrilled with him so far.


Check out his comments at the 7:45 mark.
Giants.com Video - ( New Window )
love the Vinegar Peppers  
Paulie Walnuts : 5/20/2019 3:03 pm : link
.
Good press conference, particularly that part about Peppers. He seems  
Ira : 5/20/2019 3:25 pm : link
to be happy that Peppers covers well - something Collins didn't do.
...  
GothamGiants : 5/20/2019 3:36 pm : link
Peppers + Bettcher is going to be a match made in heaven
I didn't see a tone change at all.  
Mr. Bungle : 5/20/2019 3:51 pm : link
Before he was asked about Peppers, he was still smiling about his remark about feeling better after he loses some weight.
Truly believe Peppers is a steal  
NephilimGiants : 5/20/2019 4:15 pm : link
When I saw him at the draft all I thought was a way better Collins and was mad we couldn't get him. Thrilled to have him on the team. I hope we don't abuse him making him a kr/pr like browns did
Bettcher talks similarly about Peppers  
Beezer : 5/20/2019 4:19 pm : link
starting around 16 minutes of this clip.
Link - ( New Window )
RE: Truly believe Peppers is a steal  
short lease : 5/20/2019 4:25 pm : link
In comment 14450168 NephilimGiants said:
Quote:
When I saw him at the draft all I thought was a way better Collins and was mad we couldn't get him. Thrilled to have him on the team. I hope we don't abuse him making him a kr/pr like browns did



+1
RE: I didn't see a tone change at all.  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 5/20/2019 4:29 pm : link
In comment 14450122 Mr. Bungle said:
Quote:
Before he was asked about Peppers, he was still smiling about his remark about feeling better after he loses some weight.


It's not the smile, it was the inflection in his voice. Coach Milquetoast got positively giddy when discussing Peppers.
Wait a second...  
DavidinBMNY : 5/20/2019 6:11 pm : link
I'm starting to get a good feeling about this... I forgot what that felt like!
Who was  
XBRONX : 5/20/2019 6:28 pm : link
Landon Collins?
RE: Who was  
eric2425ny : 5/20/2019 6:35 pm : link
In comment 14450307 XBRONX said:
Quote:
Landon Collins?


An undersized LB that is playing Safety.
Have to say I'm coming around on the Beckham trade  
Leg of Theismann : 5/20/2019 6:53 pm : link
Especially given how much negative attention Beckham continues to draw to himself as we speak.

If you look at it as...

WR Odell Beckham

for

DL Lawrence
CB Love
S Peppers

I say Love because I like his upside more than Ximines (the guy we actually got with #95), but I think if we didn't have #95 we would have taken Ximines at #108. We needed an edge rusher no matter what and getting Ximines at #95 (need pick) allowed us the luxury of taking another CB at #108 (BPA pick).

Consider how much less we're paying those 3 combined compared to Beckham + the fact they're all much younger than Beckham + the fact our Defense desperately needed help. From a strictly football perspective it was truly a rational thing to do, as long as you can stomach the massive cap penalty in a year that we are still "rebuilding" anyway.
Look forward to Peppers doing some things  
Jimmy Googs : 5/20/2019 7:02 pm : link
but will still miss having OBJ on the offense...
RE: RE: I didn't see a tone change at all.  
BlueLou'sBack : 5/20/2019 7:33 pm : link
In comment 14450207 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
In comment 14450122 Mr. Bungle said:


Quote:


Before he was asked about Peppers, he was still smiling about his remark about feeling better after he loses some weight.



It's not the smile, it was the inflection in his voice. Coach Milquetoast got positively giddy when discussing Peppers.


I too believe you are reaching a bit here, Eric.
RE: Have to say I'm coming around on the Beckham trade  
EricJ : 5/20/2019 7:33 pm : link
In comment 14450323 Leg of Theismann said:
Quote:
Especially given how much negative attention Beckham continues to draw to himself as we speak.

If you look at it as...

WR Odell Beckham

for

DL Lawrence
CB Love
S Peppers

I say Love because I like his upside more than Ximines (the guy we actually got with #95), but I think if we didn't have #95 we would have taken Ximines at #108. We needed an edge rusher no matter what and getting Ximines at #95 (need pick) allowed us the luxury of taking another CB at #108 (BPA pick).

Consider how much less we're paying those 3 combined compared to Beckham + the fact they're all much younger than Beckham + the fact our Defense desperately needed help. From a strictly football perspective it was truly a rational thing to do, as long as you can stomach the massive cap penalty in a year that we are still "rebuilding" anyway.


what you are also forgetting is we used some of that OBJ money to sign Tate
The Giants  
mrvax : 5/20/2019 7:58 pm : link
will be on the receiving end of many INTs this year.
BlueLou'sBack  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 5/20/2019 8:00 pm : link
Perhaps, but I've listened to most of Shurmur's press conferences. That's about as animated as he gets. He doesn't dish out praise like that much.
Hopefully  
MookGiants : 5/20/2019 8:03 pm : link
His play on Sundays for the Giants is better than it was for the Browns. Not a bad player but if he plays the same as he did previously a lot of folks are going to be disappointed in him, including the coaching staff
Anyone think Beckham can survive a full year  
xman : 5/20/2019 8:08 pm : link
playing without some lower body injury
RE: Hopefully  
GothamGiants : 5/20/2019 8:15 pm : link
In comment 14450418 MookGiants said:
Quote:
His play on Sundays for the Giants is better than it was for the Browns. Not a bad player but if he plays the same as he did previously a lot of folks are going to be disappointed in him, including the coaching staff


He was excellent in year 2 after being stuck at FS his rookie year and is a better player than Landon Collins - no reason whatsoever to expect him to not play well, especially with a coordinator that knows exactly how to maximize his strengths
Baghdad Bob spends all waking hours here, apparently  
Greg from LI : 5/20/2019 8:19 pm : link
.
RE: Anyone think Beckham can survive a full year  
Jimmy Googs : 5/20/2019 8:19 pm : link
In comment 14450423 xman said:
Quote:
playing without some lower body injury


Yes. Depends on where the ball is thrown to some degree...
RE: Truly believe Peppers is a steal  
chuckydee9 : 5/20/2019 8:44 pm : link
In comment 14450168 NephilimGiants said:
Quote:
When I saw him at the draft all I thought was a way better Collins and was mad we couldn't get him. Thrilled to have him on the team. I hope we don't abuse him making him a kr/pr like browns did


Either you are an idiot or should be a professional scout.. Cause at the end of 2016 Landon Collins was coming off one of the best years a safety has ever had.. he was phenomenal and got votes for defensive player of the year.. Now you are telling me that during the off season when the draft happened you saw Jabrill Peppers being better than that? Get the fuck out here with bullshit..
RE: RE: Truly believe Peppers is a steal  
fireitup77 : 5/20/2019 9:35 pm : link
In comment 14450456 chuckydee9 said:
Quote:
In comment 14450168 NephilimGiants said:


Quote:


When I saw him at the draft all I thought was a way better Collins and was mad we couldn't get him. Thrilled to have him on the team. I hope we don't abuse him making him a kr/pr like browns did



Either you are an idiot or should be a professional scout.. Cause at the end of 2016 Landon Collins was coming off one of the best years a safety has ever had.. he was phenomenal and got votes for defensive player of the year.. Now you are telling me that during the off season when the draft happened you saw Jabrill Peppers being better than that? Get the fuck out here with bullshit..


And how did he do the other three years he played?
RE: RE: RE: Truly believe Peppers is a steal  
chuckydee9 : 5/20/2019 10:33 pm : link
In comment 14450489 fireitup77 said:
Quote:
In comment 14450456 chuckydee9 said:


Quote:


In comment 14450168 NephilimGiants said:


Quote:


When I saw him at the draft all I thought was a way better Collins and was mad we couldn't get him. Thrilled to have him on the team. I hope we don't abuse him making him a kr/pr like browns did



Either you are an idiot or should be a professional scout.. Cause at the end of 2016 Landon Collins was coming off one of the best years a safety has ever had.. he was phenomenal and got votes for defensive player of the year.. Now you are telling me that during the off season when the draft happened you saw Jabrill Peppers being better than that? Get the fuck out here with bullshit..



And how did he do the other three years he played?


at the time of Peppers we only had 2 years of Landon Collins.. Peppers was an unknown entity who most thought was an early second round talent.. please don't tell me that you guys were the geniuses that knew during the draft time that Peppers would be playing "way better than" Defensive player of the year level and Collins would fall off considerably..
RE: RE: Truly believe Peppers is a steal  
BigBluDawg : 5/20/2019 11:01 pm : link
In comment 14450456 chuckydee9 said:
Quote:
In comment 14450168 NephilimGiants said:


Quote:


When I saw him at the draft all I thought was a way better Collins and was mad we couldn't get him. Thrilled to have him on the team. I hope we don't abuse him making him a kr/pr like browns did



Either you are an idiot or should be a professional scout.. Cause at the end of 2016 Landon Collins was coming off one of the best years a safety has ever had.. he was phenomenal and got votes for defensive player of the year.. Now you are telling me that during the off season when the draft happened you saw Jabrill Peppers being better than that? Get the fuck out here with bullshit..


Yea Iím going to have to agree with Chucky on this one and call bullshit that after the 2016 season anyone would be mad that we didnít replace Collins with Peppers in the draft because they knew he would be the better player.
Also I didnít notice a tone change  
BigBluDawg : 5/20/2019 11:06 pm : link
Not saying Shurmur is not genuinely excited to have Peppers on the roster, but saying his tone changed is a bit of a stretch.
Back to the Corner