Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

NFT: Cespedes: Accident on Ranch, Ankle Fractures

BigBlue2112 : 5/20/2019 3:59 pm
Just heard from Mets Press Conference on 98.7 ESPN
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
So he is rehabbing on his ranch?  
johnnyb : 5/20/2019 4:20 pm : link
And the Mets pay him how much?

Cannot make it up.
There's not a lot of detail about the injury,  
Mad Mike : 5/20/2019 4:21 pm : link
but just being a non-baseball injury wouldn't necessarily give the Mets the right to void the contract. They said he stepped in a hole and had a bad fall. If that's really all it was, walking around and accidentally stepping into a hole, it's very unlikely that would trigger anything to void the deal. It really depends on what exactly he was doing.
I'm looking forward to seeing the spin Baghdad Z applies this time  
Greg from LI : 5/20/2019 4:22 pm : link
.
Given the Mets history with injury  
Ten Ton Hammer : 5/20/2019 4:22 pm : link
the ranch was probably a safer bet.
sneakers with  
madgiantscow009 : 5/20/2019 4:22 pm : link
jeans?
I wasn't suggesting it would or could void  
pjcas18 : 5/20/2019 4:23 pm : link
the contract (though others have)

My fear is the non-baseball injury voids the insurance policy.

Not sure how it's written.
Haha, of course  
speedywheels : 5/20/2019 4:24 pm : link
Not one ankle, but both!

Can't make this shit up...
RE: I wasn't suggesting it would or could void  
speedywheels : 5/20/2019 4:25 pm : link
In comment 14450195 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
the contract (though others have)

My fear is the non-baseball injury voids the insurance policy.

Not sure how it's written.


If it is indeed a non-baseball injury, couldn't that potentially void the contract itself?
More  
Ten Ton Hammer : 5/20/2019 4:28 pm : link
Tim Healey (@timbhealey)
More on Cespedes: It’s his right ankle, not both. Sounds like multiple fractures in the one ankle.

Brodie Van Wagenen said Cespedes suffered a violently fall (but it wasn’t off a horse) and stepped in a hole.
As a couple of mentioned  
bhill410 : 5/20/2019 4:32 pm : link
And is dependent as to how policy and contract are written, but I would guess that a non baseball injury will terminate insurance payments depending on when it could be surmised that he reasonably could have been expected to return to the field. With regard to baseball contract, it depends on what the activity was and what provisions they included in contract. For instance, horse riding may be a prohibited activity that could have resulted in voiding or contract, walking likely would not. Common provisions are playing basketball and riding motorcycles for instance.

Soooooooo this likely financially hurts Mets.
RE: RE: I wasn't suggesting it would or could void  
pjcas18 : 5/20/2019 4:34 pm : link
In comment 14450200 speedywheels said:
Quote:
In comment 14450195 pjcas18 said:


Quote:


the contract (though others have)

My fear is the non-baseball injury voids the insurance policy.

Not sure how it's written.



If it is indeed a non-baseball injury, couldn't that potentially void the contract itself?


Not sure. I think many times those need to involve negligence, like heli-skiing or riding a motorcycleand having an accident, not stepping in a hole (just my guess).
And Jeff Kent was washing his truck  
Vanzetti : 5/20/2019 4:39 pm : link
until witnesses reported he was popping wheelies on his motorcycle

highly doubt Cespedes just stepped in a hole. Might be a dirt bike
LOL  
Rflairr : 5/20/2019 4:46 pm : link
Can't make this stuff up
RE: sneakers with  
wonderback : 5/20/2019 4:48 pm : link
In comment 14450191 madgiantscow009 said:
Quote:
jeans?


Now that's funny!
.  
Danny Kanell : 5/20/2019 5:00 pm : link
.  
adamg : 5/20/2019 5:02 pm : link
RE: RE: RE: I wasn't suggesting it would or could void  
Jim in Fairfax : 5/20/2019 5:02 pm : link
In comment 14450216 pjcas18 said:
Quote:

Not sure. I think many times those need to involve negligence, like heli-skiing or riding a motorcycleand having an accident, not stepping in a hole (just my guess).

That’s a pretty good general synopsis. But contracts typically prohibit most activities that pose even marginal injury risk. Tennis for example. Or, perhaps relevant here, horseback riding.
basically  
pjcas18 : 5/20/2019 5:05 pm : link
it's complicated.


Jarrett Seidler
‏ @jaseidler
2m2 minutes ago

since y’all to be confused by the contractual side of the Céspedes injury situation: the issue is complicated, in part because it’s a contract the team is actually going to want to void, in part because of insurance, and in part because isolating the non-baseball injury is tough
1 reply 0 retweets 1 like
Jarrett Seidler
‏ @jaseidler
14s15 seconds ago

In general teams have not went after this money, because the easiest way to do it is to void the contract and most teams don’t want to actually void most contracts. But the Mets will absolutely want to void Céspedes, and so will their insurance company.
Lol.  
ZGiants98 : 5/20/2019 5:15 pm : link
Of course he did! Just after he had started running again which was apparently a huge hurtle.
Now that I think about it  
speedywheels : 5/20/2019 5:15 pm : link
Didn't Bumgarner get hurt last year riding a motor/dirt bike? Obviously Giants didn't void the contract, but as pj just posted, Mets/insurance company may very well want to do that here.
..  
DanMetroMan : 5/20/2019 5:16 pm : link
"Rosenthal: The dysfunctional Mets, who are toxic from the top down, need an accomplished veteran manage"
RE: Now that I think about it  
pjcas18 : 5/20/2019 5:19 pm : link
In comment 14450249 speedywheels said:
Quote:
Didn't Bumgarner get hurt last year riding a motor/dirt bike? Obviously Giants didn't void the contract, but as pj just posted, Mets/insurance company may very well want to do that here.


Difference is/was the Giants and most teams (depending on the player and contract) would not want to void the contract. The player possibly still have value to them or in a trade.

in the Mets case the opposite is true. If there is a legit way for them to void the contract they absolutely should.
..  
Named Later : 5/20/2019 5:19 pm : link
Ah, I've had it with this bunch. They stink from the top on down.

The Baseball gods do have a say in these things. This team is jinxed, maybe from that improbable World Series in 1969, but more than likely from that rowdy season in 1986.

They will get lucky every 15 years or so.....1969/73, 1986, 2000, and 2015. I'll check back with them in 2030.
RE: ..  
Eric on Li : 5/20/2019 5:20 pm : link
In comment 14450252 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
"Rosenthal: The dysfunctional Mets, who are toxic from the top down, need an accomplished veteran manage"


BVW taking a beating from Francesa right now. Rosenthal's article nailed it.
RE: Now that I think about it  
Knineteen : 5/20/2019 5:53 pm : link
In comment 14450249 speedywheels said:
Quote:
Didn't Bumgarner get hurt last year riding a motor/dirt bike? Obviously Giants didn't void the contract, but as pj just posted, Mets/insurance company may very well want to do that here.

Giants had every right to void the contract but given the talent, they obviously didn't.

I don't know if Cespedes is talented enough or meaningful to this organization any longer to warrant giving him a pass.
It would be interesting if the Mets  
Metnut : 5/20/2019 5:54 pm : link
try to void the contract. In such a case, the agent who negotiated the contract would have to return his commission to the extent if reflected a portion of the contract that was voided. BVW negotiated this contract, so he could potentially lose millions if a large portion of the contract was voided.
RE: RE: Now that I think about it  
pjcas18 : 5/20/2019 5:54 pm : link
In comment 14450280 Knineteen said:
Quote:
In comment 14450249 speedywheels said:


Quote:


Didn't Bumgarner get hurt last year riding a motor/dirt bike? Obviously Giants didn't void the contract, but as pj just posted, Mets/insurance company may very well want to do that here.


Giants had every right to void the contract but given the talent, they obviously didn't.

I don't know if Cespedes is talented enough or meaningful to this organization any longer to warrant giving him a pass.


Are you kidding? If the Mets have even the slightest chance to void the contract they will and should. No brainer.
Not sure where people are getting their Cespedes  
ZGiants98 : 5/20/2019 6:09 pm : link
Insurance information from. At best, the most we've ever gotten that it was "less than Wright's" structure.

@Matt Ehalt
Cespedes' new injury should save Mets roughly $7-$9 million this year.
RE: Not sure where people are getting their Cespedes  
pjcas18 : 5/20/2019 6:15 pm : link
In comment 14450292 ZGiants98 said:
Quote:
Insurance information from. At best, the most we've ever gotten that it was "less than Wright's" structure.

@Matt Ehalt
Cespedes' new injury should save Mets roughly $7-$9 million this year.


What information in here is incorrect about Cespedes insurance?

And insurance is irrelevant, the Mets historically have flat out said they do not reinvestment insurance recoups back into payroll.

Voiding the contract would be completely different?
Jeff Wilpon said Cespedes policy pays out a slightly lower % than DW  
Eric on Li : 5/20/2019 6:16 pm : link
at Robinson Cano's press conference. Wright's paid out 75% so everyone is getting their numbers by picking a number slightly lower than that and multiplying it by the $29m he's due this year. Nobody knows the exact details because the Mets refuse to be transparent about anything related to their payroll.
RE: RE: Not sure where people are getting their Cespedes  
ZGiants98 : 5/20/2019 6:17 pm : link
In comment 14450299 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
In comment 14450292 ZGiants98 said:


Quote:


Insurance information from. At best, the most we've ever gotten that it was "less than Wright's" structure.

@Matt Ehalt
Cespedes' new injury should save Mets roughly $7-$9 million this year.



What information in here is incorrect about Cespedes insurance?

And insurance is irrelevant, the Mets historically have flat out said they do not reinvestment insurance recoups back into payroll.

Voiding the contract would be completely different?


Huh? People assume the Mets are getting back way more than they are. Cespedes counts 30 million against the cap this year. 7-9 million is only a third of that. I wasn't suggesting the Mets were going to reinvest it. I actually often also point that out.
Ehalt is speculating exactly as I mentioned above  
Eric on Li : 5/20/2019 6:20 pm : link
Here's his exact tweet and reply (bolded the important parts).

Quote:
MattEhalt's avatar
Matt Ehalt @MattEhalt
15m
Cespedes' new injury should save Mets roughly $7-$9 million this year.

15Reply
7Retweet
39 Like
More options
Drag to Collection
PSLToFlushing's avatar
Joe DeMayo @PSLToFlushing
7m
Replying to @MattEhalt
$7-$9M more than they were getting? They still were getting some % of it already, right?

2Reply
1Retweet
6 Like
More options
Drag to Collection
MattEhalt's avatar
Matt Ehalt
@MattEhalt
Replying to @PSLToFlushing
Depends on what they were getting.

But let's say he was going to return half point.

70 percent of 14.5 million is like 10.2.

They're in line now to get 20.3 ish.

(This is all speculation. Haven't heard exact amount)
RE: RE: Now that I think about it  
speedywheels : 5/20/2019 6:24 pm : link
In comment 14450255 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
In comment 14450249 speedywheels said:


Quote:


Didn't Bumgarner get hurt last year riding a motor/dirt bike? Obviously Giants didn't void the contract, but as pj just posted, Mets/insurance company may very well want to do that here.



Difference is/was the Giants and most teams (depending on the player and contract) would not want to void the contract. The player possibly still have value to them or in a trade.

in the Mets case the opposite is true. If there is a legit way for them to void the contract they absolutely should.


Agree. But knowing their mgmt team, they will find some way to blow it
Yeah, I think your quote ZG  
pjcas18 : 5/20/2019 6:25 pm : link
was just saying Cespedes being out all season now means the Mets likely get 7 - 9M more than they would have gotten if Cespedes returned when they expected.

not 7 - 9M total.

just my interpretation anyway.

I hope there is drone footage showing Cespedes fall off a horse or an ATV. I would not put it past the Mets to have drones flying over Cespedes' house just for an opportunity like this. Heck they might have even had the drone shoot out an ATV tire or a BB smack his horse in the ass to cause the accident.
Well then I guess Im wrong...  
ZGiants98 : 5/20/2019 6:28 pm : link
I haven't heard anything regarding the actual % except that it was less than Wright's. How would Ehalt know how much more we are getting back?? How did he know when he was coming back before VS how long he will be back now? Talk about pulling numbers out of his ass... I guess he's factoring he's out for the season which is likely I guess.
I have no knowledge of how Cepedes  
SJGiant : 5/20/2019 6:57 pm : link
Was injured. I am guessing that when we are talking violent fall, it was caused by a motorcycle or a off road vehicle that crashed. No real way of knowing.
Haha... God so lucky I was born a Mets fan..  
moze1021 : 5/20/2019 6:59 pm : link
Being a Yankee fan and winning all those World Series...borrrring...

But seriously ..fact that Mets didn't get in on Harper or Machado because of Cespedes according to the Wilpons... They deserved this.
BVW is a disaster as GM  
Sammo85 : 5/20/2019 7:14 pm : link
Every move he has made has been atrocious and makes us worse in long run.

I’m not happy I was right but this guy clearly had no clue and has no clue about what he’s doing.

Him and Jeff will use Callaway as a sacrificial lamb but this is the same incompetence song and dance and dysfunction from the Mets.
What a suprising turn of events for the Mets  
ChathamMark : 5/20/2019 8:45 pm : link
...not
Wasn't he the one who wasn't drinking water  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 5/20/2019 8:50 pm : link
& thus the reason for his cramps/etc?
He will never play  
spike : 5/20/2019 8:56 pm : link
for the Mets again.
There is no way he hurt himself by stepping in a hole  
allstarjim : 5/20/2019 10:57 pm : link
I call bullshit. Guarantee he hurt himself being an absolute shit-bird. Cespedes can GTFOH.

At this point, I don't even think that fucker had any intention of getting back to this team. He can fuck right off.

I hope the Mets can void his contract.
RE: .  
giantsFC : 5/20/2019 11:00 pm : link
In comment 14450241 adamg said:
Quote:


This is about as good a pic as the one w Mr. Met flipping off the fans.

God is there a bigger joke in sports than the Mets now?
RE: There is no way he hurt himself by stepping in a hole  
Jim in Fairfax : 5/20/2019 11:32 pm : link
In comment 14450578 allstarjim said:
Quote:
I call bullshit. Guarantee he hurt himself being an absolute shit-bird. Cespedes can GTFOH.

At this point, I don't even think that fucker had any intention of getting back to this team. He can fuck right off.

I hope the Mets can void his contract.


He needs a visit from Mr. Success.


RE: RE: .  
Dr. D : 5/21/2019 10:17 am : link
In comment 14450581 giantsFC said:
Quote:
In comment 14450241 adamg said:


Quote:






This is about as good a pic as the one w Mr. Met flipping off the fans.

God is there a bigger joke in sports than the Mets now?


Are you familiar with a team called the Knicks?
RE: RE: RE: .  
Ten Ton Hammer : 5/21/2019 11:48 am : link
In comment 14450830 Dr. D said:
Quote:
In comment 14450581 giantsFC said:


Quote:


In comment 14450241 adamg said:


Quote:






This is about as good a pic as the one w Mr. Met flipping off the fans.

God is there a bigger joke in sports than the Mets now?



Are you familiar with a team called the Knicks?


The Knicks are quietly rebuilding. The Mets are loudly blundering.
Good video on Cespedes and his ranch  
Knineteen : 5/21/2019 11:49 am : link
I like his work ethic, but it does call into question how such activities could impact his baseball career.

Throwing bags of corn, working around animals...is this the sort of thing the Mets were OK with for a $30 mil/ year player?!
Link - ( New Window )
RE: RE: RE: RE: .  
pjcas18 : 5/21/2019 11:53 am : link
In comment 14450955 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
In comment 14450830 Dr. D said:


Quote:


In comment 14450581 giantsFC said:


Quote:


In comment 14450241 adamg said:


Quote:






This is about as good a pic as the one w Mr. Met flipping off the fans.

God is there a bigger joke in sports than the Mets now?



Are you familiar with a team called the Knicks?



The Knicks are quietly rebuilding. The Mets are loudly blundering.


Both shit shows.

The Mets have been to two World Series and a conference finals in the same time the Knicks won one playoff series. That's it, one playoff series in 20 years. That's what the Knicks won.

Not sure I'd hitch my wagon to either horse in that race.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: .  
schabadoo : 5/21/2019 12:02 pm : link
In comment 14450960 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
In comment 14450955 Ten Ton Hammer said:


Quote:


In comment 14450830 Dr. D said:


Quote:


In comment 14450581 giantsFC said:


Quote:


In comment 14450241 adamg said:


Quote:






This is about as good a pic as the one w Mr. Met flipping off the fans.

God is there a bigger joke in sports than the Mets now?



Are you familiar with a team called the Knicks?



The Knicks are quietly rebuilding. The Mets are loudly blundering.



Both shit shows.

The Mets have been to two World Series and a conference finals in the same time the Knicks won one playoff series. That's it, one playoff series in 20 years. That's what the Knicks won.

Not sure I'd hitch my wagon to either horse in that race.


Wow, those are some cold hard facts. Maybe I've been in denial about how bad it's been for so long.
fuck em  
Rory : 5/21/2019 3:07 pm : link
didn't count on him anyways, and was worried if he'd be his typical egotistical self in the clubhouse.

If Mets becomes sellers at deadline then so be it but if they do decide to buy they can go get Nicholas Castellanos or Whit Merrifield.
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner