Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

NFT: Lab-grown diamonds

widmerseyebrow : 5/21/2019 5:28 pm
Quote:
Change is afoot in the diamond world. Mined diamond production may have already peaked, according to the 2018 Bain & Company report. Lab diamonds are here to stay, although where they’re going isn’t entirely clear. Ziminsky expects that in a few years—as Lightbox’s new facility comes online and mass production of lab diamonds continues to ramp up overseas—the price industry-wide will fall to about 80 percent less than a mined diamond. At that point, he wonders whether lab-grown diamonds will start to lose their sparkle.

Link - ( New Window )
I  
theking : 5/21/2019 5:48 pm : link
Wouldn’t waste my money, Get the real thing or don’t get it at all. It’s like buying a 1:1 replica Rolex... looks good but you can’t fool yourself.
My wife would throw it in the garbage.  
Giant John : 5/21/2019 6:56 pm : link
Not flying in my house.
RE: I  
Jim in Fairfax : 5/21/2019 7:07 pm : link
In comment 14451436 theking said:
Quote:
Wouldn’t waste my money, Get the real thing or don’t get it at all. It’s like buying a 1:1 replica Rolex... looks good but you can’t fool yourself.

You must work for De Beers.
RE: RE: I  
pjcas18 : 5/21/2019 7:15 pm : link
In comment 14451489 Jim in Fairfax said:
Quote:
In comment 14451436 theking said:


Quote:


Wouldn’t waste my money, Get the real thing or don’t get it at all. It’s like buying a 1:1 replica Rolex... looks good but you can’t fool yourself.


You must work for De Beers.


They are one of the companies with lab grown diamonds.
Lab-grown 100%  
TurdFurguson : 5/21/2019 7:36 pm : link
A lab-grown diamond is flawless, and 99.9% of the people here couldn’t tell the difference.

Also I don’t have to worry about child or slave-labor. So there’s that.
RE: My wife would throw it in the garbage.  
Zeke's Alibi : 5/21/2019 7:36 pm : link
In comment 14451480 Giant John said:
Quote:
Not flying in my house.


How would she even know if it's exactly the same.
RE: Lab-grown 100%  
pjcas18 : 5/21/2019 7:40 pm : link
In comment 14451521 TurdFurguson said:
Quote:
A lab-grown diamond is flawless, and 99.9% of the people here couldn’t tell the difference.

Also I don’t have to worry about child or slave-labor. So there’s that.


they're going to be making most of these lab grown diamonds in China. If working conditions are a concern of yours not sure you picked the right product or location to grandstand.

Go visit a plant in China that makes iPhone components (like I have) and you will see child and slave labor - from people happy to do it.

Pretty sure these diamonds labs will be no different than the iphone component labs.
RE: RE: Lab-grown 100%  
TurdFurguson : 5/21/2019 7:44 pm : link
In comment 14451528 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
In comment 14451521 TurdFurguson said:


Quote:


A lab-grown diamond is flawless, and 99.9% of the people here couldn’t tell the difference.

Also I don’t have to worry about child or slave-labor. So there’s that.



they're going to be making most of these lab grown diamonds in China. If working conditions are a concern of yours not sure you picked the right product or location to grandstand.

Go visit a plant in China that makes iPhone components (like I have) and you will see child and slave labor - from people happy to do it.

Pretty sure these diamonds labs will be no different than the iphone component labs.


So I can chose one’s not made in China? Problem solved.
Blood diamonds are better?  
V.I.G. : 5/21/2019 8:53 pm : link
1000% supportive of this.
It’s a rock.  
Cam in MO : 5/21/2019 9:18 pm : link
These aren’t even the useful types of rocks that built the world we live in. Not the diamonds they’re talking about anyways- there are some worthwhile uses for them besides, “they’re pretty.”

Value is a funny kind of thing.
RE: RE: Lab-grown 100%  
bigbluescot : 5/21/2019 9:33 pm : link
In comment 14451528 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
In comment 14451521 TurdFurguson said:


Quote:


A lab-grown diamond is flawless, and 99.9% of the people here couldn’t tell the difference.

Also I don’t have to worry about child or slave-labor. So there’s that.



they're going to be making most of these lab grown diamonds in China. If working conditions are a concern of yours not sure you picked the right product or location to grandstand.

Go visit a plant in China that makes iPhone components (like I have) and you will see child and slave labor - from people happy to do it.

Pretty sure these diamonds labs will be no different than the iphone component labs.


It's not like they're going to be soldering chips to a motherboard. Carbon will be loaded into a machine and time and pressure will produce lab diamonds at the other end. The poor workers won't get paid much but it's neither going to be labor intensive nor particularly difficult high volume work.
"Not flying in my house"  
GothamGiants : 5/21/2019 9:47 pm : link
"Buy the real thing"

Or ... buy the cheaper option that is real and looks identical - ( New Window )
Lab-grown  
GothamGiants : 5/21/2019 9:49 pm : link
is a no brainer
Lab-Grown - ( New Window )
RE: It’s a rock.  
Capt. Don : 5/22/2019 7:47 am : link
In comment 14451669 Cam in MO said:
Quote:
These aren’t even the useful types of rocks that built the world we live in. Not the diamonds they’re talking about anyways- there are some worthwhile uses for them besides, “they’re pretty.”

Value is a funny kind of thing.


EXXXACTLY!!!

This thread reminds me of the one the guy started because he was concerned about his friend's opinion of his jeans/shoes combination.
industrial diamonds  
fkap : 5/22/2019 8:26 am : link
have functional value. That's a bit different than the gemstone market, but it's false to say that diamonds aren't a useful rock.

As the article said, pollution and ethical concerns aren't cut and dried regarding man made vs mined.

is it ironic, though, that a chief argument against man made is that they're artificial, when the whole gemstone market is built on a man made desire?
I bought Moissanite diamond earrings for my lady last year.  
BigBlue2112 : 5/22/2019 9:07 am : link
never told her. she cant tell, I saved a shit ton of money. We all win.
RE: I bought Moissanite diamond earrings for my lady last year.  
Capt. Don : 5/22/2019 9:14 am : link
In comment 14451870 BigBlue2112 said:
Quote:
never told her. she cant tell, I saved a shit ton of money. We all win.


This is what is amazing to me. People buy things with perceived and manufactured value when they could use those resources to buy things with ACTUAL value.
RE: industrial diamonds  
Cam in MO : 5/22/2019 10:37 am : link
In comment 14451831 fkap said:
Quote:
have functional value. That's a bit different than the gemstone market, but it's false to say that diamonds aren't a useful rock.

As the article said, pollution and ethical concerns aren't cut and dried regarding man made vs mined.

is it ironic, though, that a chief argument against man made is that they're artificial, when the whole gemstone market is built on a man made desire?


I did specify that. Diamond cutting blades in particular are fantastic.
I'm not sure what you mean by might as well get the real thing  
jcn56 : 5/22/2019 10:49 am : link
Aren't the lab grown diamonds exactly the same as the real thing? It's not like they're cubic zirconia.

Which, BTW - the stock that I sold to buy my wife's engagement ring would practically buy a house now, whereas the diamond itself has only marginally appreciated in value. So sometimes, the real thing blows.
RE: RE: I bought Moissanite diamond earrings for my lady last year.  
BigBlue2112 : 5/22/2019 12:51 pm : link
In comment 14451882 Capt. Don said:
Quote:
In comment 14451870 BigBlue2112 said:


Quote:


never told her. she cant tell, I saved a shit ton of money. We all win.



This is what is amazing to me. People buy things with perceived and manufactured value when they could use those resources to buy things with ACTUAL value.


The value of something I could've bought with the money I spent would have been minuscule at best. I don't buy jewelry for the value, it's not a car, we're not going to resell it, I buy her jewelry because it looks great and she likes it.
Does jewelry..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 5/22/2019 1:05 pm : link
have value as an investment?? No.

It is a gift or an extravagance, so I don't get the draw. The diamond trade is interesting because the value to the public has been artificially inflated for years by those controlling the diamonds. Heck, even jewelers have issues because they make less profit on diamonds than most other precious stones.

If one can get actual rocks, man-made or not, does it really matter? Again - this isn't Cubic Zirconia. It is a diamond. Just made in a lab.

If you ever are buying jewelry as a means to save for increased value, you need some basic financial advice on investing.
My daughter's engagement ring is a lab diamond  
haper : 5/22/2019 1:56 pm : link
She specifically asked for it bc of the humanitarian issues around mined diamonds and doesn't care if ppl think it's 'fake' or if it goes up or down in value. She's always been kinda this way (she's a vegan too) and never was a fancy jewelry person either.
If they're identical I would have no issue buying one vs. "real"  
widmerseyebrow : 5/22/2019 2:02 pm : link
That being said, will people eventually turn away from diamonds as the gem of choice? It's value is high because a good quality one is a scarce commodity. There's also the completely artificial "tradition" of getting a diamond for engagements that has driven up value.

If the price plummets with the increased supply, will people still value them as gems in 50 years?
Does..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 5/22/2019 2:08 pm : link
it matter?

Like I said above, jewelers would probably be better off if the value of diamonds plummet and they can sell more profitable precious stones.

Who does it hurt? De Beers
RE: Does..  
pjcas18 : 5/22/2019 2:10 pm : link
In comment 14452324 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
it matter?

Like I said above, jewelers would probably be better off if the value of diamonds plummet and they can sell more profitable precious stones.

Who does it hurt? De Beers


De Beers is one of the companies developing lab grown diamonds. Some say their plan is to mass produce them at such a high rate it drives the value down and discourages competition. Not sure I buy into the theory, but they maybe stand to lose the most vs traditional mining.
That's..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 5/22/2019 2:13 pm : link
an interesting take. I guess they might be diversifying to avoid the pitfalls that companies like Kodak and Xeorox failed to do as technology emerged.
RE: RE: RE: I bought Moissanite diamond earrings for my lady last year.  
Capt. Don : 5/22/2019 2:34 pm : link
In comment 14452154 BigBlue2112 said:
Quote:
In comment 14451882 Capt. Don said:


Quote:


In comment 14451870 BigBlue2112 said:


Quote:


never told her. she cant tell, I saved a shit ton of money. We all win.



This is what is amazing to me. People buy things with perceived and manufactured value when they could use those resources to buy things with ACTUAL value.



The value of something I could've bought with the money I spent would have been minuscule at best. I don't buy jewelry for the value, it's not a car, we're not going to resell it, I buy her jewelry because it looks great and she likes it.


Yeah, I am not talking about it as an investment either. It is just amazing to me that people spend $1000s on something for no other reason than it "looks great."

Id rather spend 1000s on a vacation, or on 5-star meals or something else that I can experience and relive memories of. These are also not investments. Its just not for me and I will never understand it - it is for you...great.
RE: My wife would throw it in the garbage.  
Bockman : 5/22/2019 2:41 pm : link
In comment 14451480 Giant John said:
Quote:
Not flying in my house.


If my wife did that, she wouldn't be my wife anymore.
Back to the Corner