Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

How Daniel Jones is performing is underappreciated

Eric from BBI : Admin : 6/9/2019 10:32 am
Most Giants fans hated the pick of Daniel Jones at #6. Many said it was an outright disastrous selection.

You can poo-poo OTAs and mini-camps all you want, but Daniel Jones has not been overwhelmed by any of it. In fact, if you compare the early reviews on him vis a vis Eli Manning in 2004, Daniel Jones has performed far better thus far.

Daniel Jones may or may not end up being a good QB, but as of mid-June, he has not disappointed at all.

And this is HUGELY positive when you consider the possible alternative (i.e., him looking like a train wreck).

Oddly, the media and fans don't seem to be appreciating the fact that so far, so good.

*********

Quote:
According to Giants tight end Evan Engram, who was a spectator for all three practices, Jones is also becoming more confident by the day.

“You can see him getting confident," Engram said Saturday night at the Landon Collins Charity Softball Game. "Anytime you’re coming in as a rookie, you’re going to be a little shaky or a little nervous. You kind of see him starting to brush that off, get into his groove and take advantage of everything he’s given.”

Throughout last week’s practices, Jones seemed to quickly go through his progressions, get rid of the football accurately while displaying better than expected arm-strength and deep ball accuracy.

Jones says that procession information quickly and going through his progressions is what he feels he’s improved on the most since being chosen No. 6 overall in the NFL Draft and has helped spawn his new found confidence.

“I think just thinking quicker," Jones said. "That’s the challenge for young guys to be able of react and just play. It’s about thinking as quick as you can and making the right decision as quick as you can. I’m just working on that.

...

Where some rookie quarterbacks would have a tendency to hold onto the football too long in the pocket, or force the ball into their first read, Jones has already shown an ability to read a defense and make the right throws. That hasn’t gone unnoticed by head coach Pat Shurmur.

“His head is swimming much less than most rookies for a couple reasons,” Shurmur said last week. "He’s very smart, he was coached extremely well in college, he’s been around it. He’s been coached by one of the best in college.

“He understands the process. Again, we call it a cat, they call it a dog, it doesn’t matter. He’s been around the process enough to know. (He’s) very perceptive, he doesn’t make the same mistake twice.”

As impressive as Jones has looked, and he already seems to belong on the field as a competent NFL quarterback, he still has a long way to go before realistically having a chance to supplant veteran Eli Manning as the starting quarterback.

In the meant time, Jones says he’s striving for continuously making progress in practice.

“I think I improved every day [during minicamp]," Jones said. "That’s the goal. I did some things better, did some things not as good, it’s about me being consistent, and I’m learning a lot. Trying to learn as much as I can.”


Why Giants’ Daniel Jones is brimming with confidence after strong spring - ( New Window )
Pages: 1 2 3 4 | Show All |  Next>>
It's TRUE that to play this well this quick  
Giantz_comeback : 6/9/2019 10:40 am : link
Is a pretty positive sign that what DG and company saw when they picked him is being further confirmed on the practice field.

If they are right on DJ than going QB at 6 was absolutely the right decision over any other position considering the importance of the position.

Regarding Eli though he was considered the most polished QB to come out. I think it's a bit of apples to oranges because Eli was thrust in a very different system under TC vs the much more QB friendly one under Shurmur. Heck even a Super winning QB in Warner struggled getting rid of the ball quickly in TCs system


I’m cautiously optimistic with Jones.  
Keaton028 : 6/9/2019 10:42 am : link
But I really want to see him become a star just because of how malicious everyone has been towards the pick. Shitting on the Giants is en vogue right now in the NFL community, and I’d love if Jones turns this narrative around.
Giantz_comeback  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 6/9/2019 10:43 am : link
Eli Manning was not getting these kind of positive reports in the spring 2004. (I'm not even talking about his rough rookie regular season).
Cautiously optimistic describes my feelings too. I don't like to love  
Ira : 6/9/2019 10:46 am : link
or hate a pick this soon, but with Jones - so far so good.
Not by me  
robbieballs2003 : 6/9/2019 10:47 am : link
I liked Jones. I wouldn't have drafted him at 6 but I also believe when you have a QB that just makes sense for your team you will have to go get him and that usually means overpaying in one way or another.

As far as how he is doing, it has been very good news. I'd like to see this continue when the pads come on though before I start getting excited. With that said, for as long as I can remember rookie QBs have always struggled here. We can go through all the names since Manning like Woodson, Lorenzen, Bomar, Webb, Lauletta, etc. This might be the first time ever a rookie QB has been at least been looking solid.
The media and fans  
LakeGeorgeGiant : 6/9/2019 10:50 am : link
can be similar in that they are difficult to budge once dug in.

They are also alike in that they form these hard, aggressive, unbreakable opinions based on very little actual information.

Then to compound the issue they feed off of each other.
RE: Giantz_comeback  
Giantz_comeback : 6/9/2019 10:51 am : link
In comment 14467341 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
Eli Manning was not getting these kind of positive reports in the spring 2004. (I'm not even talking about his rough rookie regular season).


Eric I agree he wasn't. But the systems were vastly different. Shurmurs system seem to get the best out of a QB. Very few were really successful running TCs system. The common denominator we saw was QBs holding the ball too long trying to process all the reads.

But this doesnt take away from what Jones is showing right now. It's quite encouraging. The next step up is to see it in preseason.

RE: The media and fans  
Giantz_comeback : 6/9/2019 10:54 am : link
In comment 14467345 LakeGeorgeGiant said:
Quote:
can be similar in that they are difficult to budge once dug in.

They are also alike in that they form these hard, aggressive, unbreakable opinions based on very little actual information.

Then to compound the issue they feed off of each other.


My concern was he fit the profile so well of what they Giants look for on the surface in terms of personality and demeanor that they might have overrated the on field stuff when they watched the college film. So far that does not seem to be the case. Which is very encouraging. Next step up is to see it in live action in preseason.
One of the members at the club where I work  
The_Boss : 6/9/2019 10:56 am : link
Who knows I loathe DG and hated the Jones pick keeps telling me I’m going to end eating a shit sandwich. Of course, he was also adamant the NYG were going to be good in 2018 while I insisted they wouldn’t. My answer to him is always “I hope you’re right. I want to be wrong about Jones and DG”. Lighting it up in May and June does nothing for me. Keep it up in camp and in preseason and show me in games that count this fall.
RE: Giantz_comeback  
j_rud : 6/9/2019 10:56 am : link
In comment 14467341 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
Eli Manning was not getting these kind of positive reports in the spring 2004. (I'm not even talking about his rough rookie regular season).


That first minicamp report was dreadful, and it put this place into full blown panic lol.
Very excited for pre season  
RobCarpenter : 6/9/2019 10:57 am : link
.
...  
christian : 6/9/2019 11:01 am : link
Jones always checked the boxes of a potential starting quarterback.

Fans get delusional that draft order some how predicts future success and get all flustered.

When a QB is picked in any draft is more related to need in the market, and if a quarterback succeeds is very dependent on the situation he is drafted into.

Jones can be a good starter if the Giants coaching staff improves and the talent overall on offense improves.
He has good athleticism......  
Simms11 : 6/9/2019 11:02 am : link
and he's very smart. A guy that was supposed to go to Princeton! My concern with Jones, and an area that was noted as weak, is his decision-making. Lets see how he performs after learning the offense and against live NFL action. Pre-Season Football this year will be real fun to watch.
Sy's big knock  
XBRONX : 6/9/2019 11:03 am : link
on Jones, was his thinking was slow. Not the case so far. We will see with live action.
I didn't like the pick but I think that had more to do  
bceagle05 : 6/9/2019 11:07 am : link
with the Giants being ripped apart the way they were - hope Jones makes the critics look like fools. Regarding his reviews thus far - those pre-season games will be must-watch.
XBronx  
gidiefor : Mod : 6/9/2019 11:09 am : link
Sy also qualified his comments on Jones - and left plenty of room for what he didn't know about him


Count me in the group that really liked Jones pre-draft -- I liked the film I watched on him better than any of the QBs picked last year or this year -- this dude is a fighter and can deliver the goods - he can handle real adversity and is a terrific athlete
Maybe Jones really is the goods...maybe not.  
Klaatu : 6/9/2019 11:13 am : link
I'm still going to pooh-pooh OTA's and mini-camps.
You are 100% correct  
BSIMatt : 6/9/2019 11:16 am : link
If he were performing disastrously the Twitter sphere and giant fandom would likely have no issue citing it over and over as further proof as to what a horrible selection it was. He plays extremely well and it is immediately minimized as performing in “just shorts”. There was an article written the other day from a writer who observed Jones for 3 days in minicamp and had recent time observing Lamar Jackson and Carson Wentz and said Jones looked better than either at their respective stages of development...and this was from a national writer, not some giants homer.


Then take these statements from Giants best writers:

Quote:

Art Stapleton Verified account
@art_stapleton
19h19 hours ago

He's the best rookie QB that I've covered on the beat already. I've been impressed by his willingness to push the ball downfield in a practice setting.
I think he might be more focused on accuracy and honing that on out routes vs air. Doesn't put a lot of velocity on those yet

Art Stapleton Verified account
@art_stapleton
19h19 hours ago

Daniel Jones' arm strength is certainly not lacking, and this week we got a chance to see just how accurate he is downfield. If minicamp is any indication, he's really, really good.


Patricia Traina:

"(Daniel Jones) has clearly had the most impressive spring of the Giants drafted quarterbacks in the last decade."

I'll admit predraft I thought if the Giants were to draft a QB at 6  
Blue21 : 6/9/2019 11:19 am : link
it should be Haskins. However, I admitted on many threads I am not a QB guru and also said no way would Jones last until 17 if that's who they wanted. Once they picked Jones I was on board. Hoping he's everything we hoped for and more. Read on many occasions his ceiling would be a Matt Ryan comparison. I'll take that who knows maybe he'll go beyond. Yes it's early but love what I'm reading so far.
Doesnt seem fair that he wont get a real shot  
Ten Ton Hammer : 6/9/2019 11:20 am : link
To win the starting job.it flies against everything fans preach about wanting players to hold jobs on merit.
DJ8 so far  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 6/9/2019 11:26 am : link
Five by five, we're in the pipe.
Very Glad  
Glover : 6/9/2019 11:28 am : link
Jones looks like he belongs. I did not like the pick, as conventional wisdom had him as a late first rounder, or second round pick, but I understood the Giants were sold and that was all that mattered. I felt the same way when the Giants took Engram. I thought they should have taken Ramczyk there (or ironically, Jabrill Peppers, or even Njoku), but I knew with the signing of Ellison, and the pick of Engram, the Giants had a definite plan, and he was their guy.

Anyway, here's to Daniel Jones.

Everyone hates Ron Dayne, and think he was a bust, but picking him (and I know it could have been Alexander) lit a fire under Tiki's ass, and he played like an all time great Giant after that. Maybe we see a similar thing happen here with Eli, and maybe he finds a new level of focus and consistency that keeps Jones on the sideline.
RE: RE: Giantz_comeback  
barens : 6/9/2019 11:29 am : link
In comment 14467346 Giantz_comeback said:
Quote:
In comment 14467341 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


Eli Manning was not getting these kind of positive reports in the spring 2004. (I'm not even talking about his rough rookie regular season).



Eric I agree he wasn't. But the systems were vastly different. Shurmurs system seem to get the best out of a QB. Very few were really successful running TCs system. The common denominator we saw was QBs holding the ball too long trying to process all the reads.

But this doesnt take away from what Jones is showing right now. It's quite encouraging. The next step up is to see it in preseason.


Cmon now, was Coughlin's system that much harder to grasp? I think that's reaching a bit.

Not trying to knock Eli, but every QB grasps things at their own pace, and I think the QB's who can use their feet have a bit of an advantage when they first come into the league.
Exactly what should the fans be doing to properly appreciate  
Jimmy Googs : 6/9/2019 11:30 am : link
how Daniel Jones is performing thus far?
RE: Giantz_comeback  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 6/9/2019 11:31 am : link
In comment 14467341 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
Eli Manning was not getting these kind of positive reports in the spring 2004. (I'm not even talking about his rough rookie regular season).

Keep in mind that was Gilbrides offense, you need a Warren fucking Moon caliber QB to run that o. Brady runs an o with many similarities.
Wildly optimistic...  
Brown_Hornet : 6/9/2019 11:35 am : link
...!

So True  
Breaker : 6/9/2019 11:36 am : link
In comment 14467345 LakeGeorgeGiant said:
Quote:
can be similar in that they are difficult to budge once dug in.

They are also alike in that they form these hard, aggressive, unbreakable opinions based on very little actual information.

Then to compound the issue they feed off of each other.


Agree we have to wait until live action with pads on in real games, but better these impressions than the opposite.

With the drive by media and talking heads so invested in hating Gettleman, trading OBJ and other moves etc, kudos will not come our way until Jones plays well in real games. As it should be in some respects. Until that time the echo chambers on national TV and the press that hate Gettleman will turn a blind eye to Jone's progress. That's to be expected and doesn't bother people who seriously follow the team.

RE: Exactly what should the fans be doing to properly appreciate  
Canton : 6/9/2019 11:36 am : link
In comment 14467384 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
how Daniel Jones is performing thus far?


Be enthusiastic. Have a renewed sense of hope, for our future QB.
I still don’t like picking Jones...  
bw in dc : 6/9/2019 11:37 am : link
at #6 until proven otherwise. People look great in the batting cage and on the practice tee, too. But then the lights go on and things change. So I take these practice reports in stride.

However, at least the news is good rather than Jones can’t hit the broad side of a barn and throws too many picks.

My position on this hasn’t changed - by taking Jones at #6 Jints Central has declared this guy a pro bowl caliber player. So with a decrepit QB, a rookie salary, and a time when the league has never been this QB friendly, Jones needs to start game one. And we need to stop this farce that Eli is still entitled to start for services rendered.

The sooner we figure who Jones is - boom or bust - the better for this organization to plan.
RE: RE: Exactly what should the fans be doing to properly appreciate  
j_rud : 6/9/2019 11:45 am : link
In comment 14467392 Canton said:
Quote:
In comment 14467384 Jimmy Googs said:


Quote:


how Daniel Jones is performing thus far?



Be enthusiastic. Have a renewed sense of hope, for our future QB.


Enthusiasm is lame. Much cooler to gripe and shit all over everything.
Vegas Line on Jones playing  
Breaker : 6/9/2019 11:49 am : link
In comment 14467393 bw in dc said:
Quote:
at #6 until proven otherwise. People look great in the batting cage and on the practice tee, too. But then the lights go on and things change. So I take these practice reports in stride.

However, at least the news is good rather than Jones can’t hit the broad side of a barn and throws too many picks.

My position on this hasn’t changed - by taking Jones at #6 Jints Central has declared this guy a pro bowl caliber player. So with a decrepit QB, a rookie salary, and a time when the league has never been this QB friendly, Jones needs to start game one. And we need to stop this farce that Eli is still entitled to start for services rendered.

The sooner we figure who Jones is - boom or bust - the better for this organization to plan.


7.5 is the Over/Under. I think the coaches are laying the groundwork for an early entry by Jones if Eli stumbles in the regular. Shula comments are eye opening and certainly weren't contradicted by anyone in organization.

Bottom line is jones has to show he's better. god forbid we open 1-3 to open season. all bets are off. team will do everything to avoid being irrelevant by beginning of November.
DG played his cards perfectly or Jones  
gtt350 : 6/9/2019 11:49 am : link
would be in Denver.I think John Elway knows QB talent. We have a future all pro.
RE: RE: Exactly what should the fans be doing to properly appreciate  
Jimmy Googs : 6/9/2019 11:50 am : link
In comment 14467392 Canton said:
Quote:
In comment 14467384 Jimmy Googs said:


Quote:


how Daniel Jones is performing thus far?



Be enthusiastic. Have a renewed sense of hope, for our future QB.


I think there is a good bit. Clearly tempered somewhat because posters will typically caveat their opinions so as to not be too off-base.

But there is several "When will Jones take over...?" threads that are started each day.

Isn't that a form of appreciation and hope?
RE: Very Glad  
Zeke's Alibi : 6/9/2019 11:50 am : link
In comment 14467380 Glover said:
Quote:
Jones looks like he belongs. I did not like the pick, as conventional wisdom had him as a late first rounder, or second round pick, but I understood the Giants were sold and that was all that mattered. I felt the same way when the Giants took Engram. I thought they should have taken Ramczyk there (or ironically, Jabrill Peppers, or even Njoku), but I knew with the signing of Ellison, and the pick of Engram, the Giants had a definite plan, and he was their guy.

Anyway, here's to Daniel Jones.

Everyone hates Ron Dayne, and think he was a bust, but picking him (and I know it could have been Alexander) lit a fire under Tiki's ass, and he played like an all time great Giant after that. Maybe we see a similar thing happen here with Eli, and maybe he finds a new level of focus and consistency that keeps Jones on the sideline.


I'm going to have to disagree with your take on Tiki. He really need a few years in an NFL weight room and he started to produce before we drafted Ron Dayne. We drafted a RB because they probably never thought Tiki was going to be a 3 down RB workhorse, a fumbling playmaker that had some injury issues, but he kept adding muscle every year.
RE: DG played his cards perfectly or Jones  
Jimmy Googs : 6/9/2019 11:53 am : link
In comment 14467399 gtt350 said:
Quote:
would be in Denver.I think John Elway knows QB talent. We have a future all pro.


Is this guy underappreciating Jones too much Eric?
RE: RE: DG played his cards perfectly or Jones  
j_rud : 6/9/2019 11:55 am : link
In comment 14467402 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
In comment 14467399 gtt350 said:


Quote:


would be in Denver.I think John Elway knows QB talent. We have a future all pro.



Is this guy underappreciating Jones too much Eric?


Over-appreciating Elway for sure.
It'll be good to go back to this post down the line  
micky : 6/9/2019 11:56 am : link
😉
Oh btw, we interrupt this post  
micky : 6/9/2019 11:58 am : link
with an advertisement..
I liked him  
BigBlueJ : 6/9/2019 11:58 am : link
a couple of months before the draft. But you never know about these things. Maybe a Matt Ryan or maybe Ryan Fitzpatrick.
Please let him be great during games  
giantstock : 6/9/2019 12:00 pm : link
Whether it be 2019 or 2020 or 2021 etc.

I don't care about any early hype. Why should I?

Let-s face it-- tow of the experts on this board (SY and David Te) weren't impressed with Jones. The guy I most value is Greg Cosell and he had rated Jones 4th and didn't believe any of the 4 QB's described a top 6 pick.

And many on here respect Gil Brandt a ton - so this year he had Allen, Oliver (Who I liked as the the 6th pick) and Sweat all rated ahead of Jones as the 6th pick. He had Jones 17 and yet last year he had Rosen 2nd overall.

I'm supposed to throw all this away because of summer hype? Why bother even having SY or David TE then - especially if others whom you value also feel in some manner what you feel?

And how often have we heard of hype only to get a major letdown? What's the last line in the below article?

"Eli Apple is going to be a stud."

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2016/08/07/new-york-giants-eli-apple-glimpse-into-future/

***There is nothing wrong with being skeptical but hopeful. I'm hopeful. I just never have liked "rah rah cheerleading" and I'm not saying this thread is that. NOT AT ALL. You see something you love in him. GREAT!!! Just saying for me I want to see wins. Hey if Jones turns out to be the 28th rated QB and yet the GMEN still win multiple SB's with him because he plays solid in the playoffs -- I'll be thrilled with Jones because winning is all that matters.


What's underappreciated about Jones is that he could be a good QB  
Eric on Li : 6/9/2019 12:01 pm : link
for all the bitching about value, passing on Josh Allen, Haskins, and the Cutcliffe/Mannings noise if you get a good QB at pick #6 overall it's a great pick. Period.

Jones playing well in 2 hand touch minicamp doesn't need appreciation and it doesn't mean much. But him impressing the coaches + his teammates does again allude to the underappreciated possibility that this guy may just have what it takes to be a good qb.
I'm sure Eli Apple looked great in minicamp.  
Zeke's Alibi : 6/9/2019 12:04 pm : link
Guys are using their hands way more than is allowed in an NFL game. It is my one hesitation on Baker, but Eli Apple was way more handsy in college. I think CB can be the toughest position to evaluate from college to NFL because it is a completely different game out on the boundaries.
To the point of  
David B. : 6/9/2019 12:06 pm : link
I think I'm beginning to see evidence among the media, including some of those who panned the pick, beginning to acknowledge that the Giants may have gotten it right on Jones.

I thought Pete Prisco's article last week was the best example of starting to address this subject. That hey, in person, his arm looks much stronger than advertised, and hey, in person, he looks pretty darn accurate. And that he's obviously smart AND football smart because he's picking it up fast and not repeating mistakes.

Not that I've seen anyone say "hey, I (personally) was wrong," not even Prisco, but he did say:

"What most didn't realize is that the NFL personnel people liked Jones a lot more than the draft analysts did. That's why there was the uproar. How dare a team go off-script?"

Excuse me Pete, but aren't you one of those draft analysts?

His instant analysis was to give the pick a D grade: I wanted to give this pick an 'F.' I like Daniel Jones, but I just don't like him in this spot. They must have gotten intelligence that another team was going to take him before 17. I like him, but not at No. 6. It's a strange pick this early.


Football is a prove it to me world, and Jones will have to do that in real games before anyone admits they were wrong. And even if he turns out great, some of these assholes (including those here) will still never admit they were wrong.

But as the positive reports trickle out, if you're paying attention, good signs are apparent.
Daniel Jones impressing in first Giants minicamp, but he's letting his play do the talking - ( New Window )
Sixth Pick Has To Be Top Ten in League In Time  
Breaker : 6/9/2019 12:11 pm : link
In comment 14467414 giantstock said:
Quote:
Whether it be 2019 or 2020 or 2021 etc.

I don't care about any early hype. Why should I?

Let-s face it-- tow of the experts on this board (SY and David Te) weren't impressed with Jones. The guy I most value is Greg Cosell and he had rated Jones 4th and didn't believe any of the 4 QB's described a top 6 pick.

And many on here respect Gil Brandt a ton - so this year he had Allen, Oliver (Who I liked as the the 6th pick) and Sweat all rated ahead of Jones as the 6th pick. He had Jones 17 and yet last year he had Rosen 2nd overall.

I'm supposed to throw all this away because of summer hype? Why bother even having SY or David TE then - especially if others whom you value also feel in some manner what you feel?

And how often have we heard of hype only to get a major letdown? What's the last line in the below article?

"Eli Apple is going to be a stud."

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2016/08/07/new-york-giants-eli-apple-glimpse-into-future/

***There is nothing wrong with being skeptical but hopeful. I'm hopeful. I just never have liked "rah rah cheerleading" and I'm not saying this thread is that. NOT AT ALL. You see something you love in him. GREAT!!! Just saying for me I want to see wins. Hey if Jones turns out to be the 28th rated QB and yet the GMEN still win multiple SB's with him because he plays solid in the playoffs -- I'll be thrilled with Jones because winning is all that matters.

RE: RE: RE: Giantz_comeback  
robbieballs2003 : 6/9/2019 12:12 pm : link
In comment 14467383 barens said:
Quote:
In comment 14467346 Giantz_comeback said:


Quote:


In comment 14467341 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


Eli Manning was not getting these kind of positive reports in the spring 2004. (I'm not even talking about his rough rookie regular season).



Eric I agree he wasn't. But the systems were vastly different. Shurmurs system seem to get the best out of a QB. Very few were really successful running TCs system. The common denominator we saw was QBs holding the ball too long trying to process all the reads.

But this doesnt take away from what Jones is showing right now. It's quite encouraging. The next step up is to see it in preseason.




Cmon now, was Coughlin's system that much harder to grasp? I think that's reaching a bit.

Not trying to knock Eli, but every QB grasps things at their own pace, and I think the QB's who can use their feet have a bit of an advantage when they first come into the league.


One, it wasn't Coughlin's system. Two, yes. It was extremely difficult to grasp which is why nobody runs that offense now.
RE: I still don’t like picking Jones...  
BlueLou'sBack : 6/9/2019 12:15 pm : link
In comment 14467393 bw in dc said:
Quote:
at #6 until proven otherwise. People look great in the batting cage and on the practice tee, too. But then the lights go on and things change. So I take these practice reports in stride.

However, at least the news is good rather than Jones can’t hit the broad side of a barn and throws too many picks.

My position on this hasn’t changed - by taking Jones at #6 Jints Central has declared this guy a pro bowl caliber player. So with a decrepit QB, a rookie salary, and a time when the league has never been this QB friendly, Jones needs to start game one. And we need to stop this farce that Eli is still entitled to start for services rendered.

The sooner we figure who Jones is - boom or bust - the better for this organization to plan.


This is a moronic sentiment. If Jones would over the next 13 years exactly duplicate the career of Peyton Manning (ironically enough, the exact QB his staunchest supporters have compared him to coming out of college), would it make sense for the Giants to start him over Eli at this stage of Eli's career?

The clear answer if you review how Peyton performed as a rookie is NO.

Eli isn't some piece of garbage at this point, despite the Giants' poor records the past 2 years. He simply isn't.
Without even buying into the arm strength argument  
BlueLou'sBack : 6/9/2019 12:20 pm : link
because I still want to see him throw deep outs on a line in games, more and more the athleticism of Jones and most importantly his mental makeup and approach seem to put him in a class that I'd call floor of Alex Smith and ceiling of Joe Montana.

How's that for optimism?
RE: Doesnt seem fair that he wont get a real shot  
djm : 6/9/2019 12:43 pm : link
In comment 14467373 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
To win the starting job.it flies against everything fans preach about wanting players to hold jobs on merit.


Never say never. Lots of myths go bye bye in the pro sports world.
RE: RE: I still don’t like picking Jones...  
bw in dc : 6/9/2019 12:58 pm : link
In comment 14467429 BlueLou'sBack said:
Quote:


This is a moronic sentiment. If Jones would over the next 13 years exactly duplicate the career of Peyton Manning (ironically enough, the exact QB his staunchest supporters have compared him to coming out of college), would it make sense for the Giants to start him over Eli at this stage of Eli's career?

The clear answer if you review how Peyton performed as a rookie is NO.

Eli isn't some piece of garbage at this point, despite the Giants' poor records the past 2 years. He simply isn't.


I don't like, or get, the Peyton comp. They are such different players at this point. But keep in mind Peyton did start his rookie season. And he was better off for it because he gained the most critical part of adjusting to life in the NFL - experience. Especially for the QB position. Once accumulated, the game slowed down and then it was clear the Colts made the right choice.

It's the best formula in our situation because we are not winning a SB with Eli. It's just not happening. The odds are lottery-like.

So I'm not just into this sentimentality non-sense of playing an Eli Farewell Tour. The more Eli plays the less time we have to take advantage of the Jones's rookie contract and determine if Jones can indeed play.

Sorry, but that's anything but moronic.
Can we wait until they start playing with pads on against other teams  
Rick in Dallas : 6/9/2019 1:06 pm : link
Before we make any judgments either positive or negative about Jones. A lot of players look good in shorts in OTA’s and mini camps and crap out when real games begin. I will be rooting hard for Jones to be the real deal.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 | Show All |  Next>>
Back to the Corner