Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

NFT: 50th Anniversary of the Moon Landing

MattyKid : 7/19/2019 7:51 am
.
Link - ( New Window )
Strongly Recommend the Podcast  
TomMac : 7/19/2019 8:50 am : link
13 Minutes to the Moon, from BBC World Service. Simply Outstanding
First Man, the Neil Armstrong biopic really nailed how...  
Crispino : 7/19/2019 8:56 am : link
audacious and dangerous the mission was. Guys were in a tin can atop a 300 foot tall explosive device. And headed to the moon and back with less computing power than your car has. It was a courageous, incredible achievement. And the whole world was one world for just a brief moment.
Shows what mankind is capable of when we push ourselves outward  
DC Gmen Fan : 7/19/2019 8:58 am : link
rather than petty bickering
I wonder where we would be had we  
DC Gmen Fan : 7/19/2019 8:59 am : link
continued with the same vigor for space exploration..granted there would have been a huge cost with an uncertain ROI
Everyone knows it was filmed in  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 7/19/2019 9:26 am : link
a SoCal studio. Come on guys.
Smart and Courageous people  
ZogZerg : 7/19/2019 9:30 am : link
with an amazing accomplishment 50 years ago.
RE: Strongly Recommend the Podcast  
rnargi : 7/19/2019 9:31 am : link
In comment 14502021 TomMac said:
Quote:
13 Minutes to the Moon, from BBC World Service. Simply Outstanding


Thank you for this recommendation!
RE: I wonder where we would be had we  
x meadowlander : 7/19/2019 9:34 am : link
In comment 14502028 DC Gmen Fan said:
Quote:
continued with the same vigor for space exploration..granted there would have been a huge cost with an uncertain ROI
The country was pretty divided on spending so much on space exploration but in Congress it was another story, as this a defensive program more than seeing if the moon was made of cheese. (IT IS, PROVE ME WRONG) :D

FWIW, I think it should be noted that an estimated 20,000 Jewish slaves died working on Von Braun's rocket program in Nazi Germany that his US Missile and later, Space Rocketry programs were built on.

The Space Program owes them a debt of gratitude.

One  
AcidTest : 7/19/2019 9:35 am : link
of the greatest achievements in human history. A true testament to courage and the endless yearning to explore the unknown.
Of all the things we do I think space travel amazes me the most  
Stu11 : 7/19/2019 9:43 am : link
I mean we send these crafts up there and get them back based totally on mathematical equations and laws of physics.the windows we have to get them back successful are really amazing.
I can never see enough about the earlier days of the space program  
Greg from LI : 7/19/2019 9:46 am : link
And Apollo in particular, because my grandfather played his own small role in the moon landing. He was one of the technicians who built the LEM at the Grumman factory on Long Island.
Breathtaking  
NoPeanutz : 7/19/2019 10:36 am : link
I'm inspired by the way the story shows what is possible by a team setting a goal and fighting to the finish.
Getting to the moon was not easy. The financial resources (4.5% of GDP I think I heard somewhere) and political costs, during an era of real human rights and social turmoil in our country, sound like they were utterly astronomical. Politically toxic by today's standards.

But even if it weren't toxic, the challenge was daunting enough to punt away. But they tried, committed to it, and got it done. And put two apes on the moon and brought them home in one piece.
RE: I wonder where we would be had we  
FatMan in Charlotte : 7/19/2019 10:44 am : link
In comment 14502028 DC Gmen Fan said:
Quote:
continued with the same vigor for space exploration..granted there would have been a huge cost with an uncertain ROI


I think for the most part further space exploration stalled until there's a technological leap of speed warps and sci-fi stuff.

The sheer amount of time it would take to explore with manned craft makes a lot of missions untenable.
RE: I can never see enough about the earlier days of the space program  
Racer : 7/19/2019 10:49 am : link
In comment 14502072 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
And Apollo in particular, because my grandfather played his own small role in the moon landing. He was one of the technicians who built the LEM at the Grumman factory on Long Island.


"Moon Lander" by Tom Kelly was one of my favorite all time reads. Also inspired the 'Spider' episode in "From The Earth To The Moon".
It's not about the moon  
Greg from LI : 7/19/2019 10:52 am : link
But The Right Stuff is one of my all-time favorite movies too.
My dad worked on the Apollo missions  
Steve L : 7/19/2019 11:47 am : link
As a scientist. He was part of the team that designed the computers. He was also part of the team that helped bring Apollo 13 back to earth safely.

I knew none of this until I was in my 40s. He would have been the coolest Show and Tell dad when I was in first grade. But he never said anything about it back then.
RE: My dad worked on the Apollo missions  
rnargi : 7/19/2019 12:24 pm : link
In comment 14502249 Steve L said:
Quote:
As a scientist. He was part of the team that designed the computers. He was also part of the team that helped bring Apollo 13 back to earth safely.

I knew none of this until I was in my 40s. He would have been the coolest Show and Tell dad when I was in first grade. But he never said anything about it back then.


That's awesome...a true hero, your dad. I bet he was thinking, "Uh oh" when the 1202 alarm rang out on the lunar module decent to the moon. The astronauts didn't even know what that alarm was!
RE: RE: My dad worked on the Apollo missions  
Steve L : 7/19/2019 1:33 pm : link
In comment 14502311 rnargi said:
Quote:
In comment 14502249 Steve L said:


Quote:


As a scientist. He was part of the team that designed the computers. He was also part of the team that helped bring Apollo 13 back to earth safely.

I knew none of this until I was in my 40s. He would have been the coolest Show and Tell dad when I was in first grade. But he never said anything about it back then.



That's awesome...a true hero, your dad. I bet he was thinking, "Uh oh" when the 1202 alarm rang out on the lunar module decent to the moon. The astronauts didn't even know what that alarm was!


He wasn’t at mission control for the landing but he was for Apollo 13. He said that was the scariest moment of his life.
RE: RE: RE: My dad worked on the Apollo missions  
rnargi : 7/19/2019 2:09 pm : link
In comment 14502382 Steve L said:
Quote:
In comment 14502311 rnargi said:


Quote:


In comment 14502249 Steve L said:


Quote:


As a scientist. He was part of the team that designed the computers. He was also part of the team that helped bring Apollo 13 back to earth safely.

I knew none of this until I was in my 40s. He would have been the coolest Show and Tell dad when I was in first grade. But he never said anything about it back then.



That's awesome...a true hero, your dad. I bet he was thinking, "Uh oh" when the 1202 alarm rang out on the lunar module decent to the moon. The astronauts didn't even know what that alarm was!



He wasn’t at mission control for the landing but he was for Apollo 13. He said that was the scariest moment of his life.


It's hard to even imagine...
Greg  
flicker, flea : 7/19/2019 6:58 pm : link
Highly probable that your grandfather worked with my father on the LM at Grumman. My old man worked on 5 (Apollo 11), 9, and 12. Went to Kennedy Space Center with him earlier this week. They had just opened the 50th Anniversary exhibit, moving 9 down to ground level from ceiling suspension. Was a treat to be able to see it so closely and quiz my dad about it.

They mounted a negative which had the signatures of all those who worked on it at Bethpage, Kennedy, and Houston (engineers, techs, QC, electricians, etc.) behind insulation blanketing on the descent stage of 5. I know my dad's signature is on it, good chance your grandfathers is too.
RE: RE: RE: My dad worked on the Apollo missions  
PatersonPlank : 7/19/2019 7:49 pm : link
In comment 14502382 Steve L said:
Quote:
In comment 14502311 rnargi said:


Quote:


In comment 14502249 Steve L said:


Quote:


As a scientist. He was part of the team that designed the computers. He was also part of the team that helped bring Apollo 13 back to earth safely.

I knew none of this until I was in my 40s. He would have been the coolest Show and Tell dad when I was in first grade. But he never said anything about it back then.



That's awesome...a true hero, your dad. I bet he was thinking, "Uh oh" when the 1202 alarm rang out on the lunar module decent to the moon. The astronauts didn't even know what that alarm was!



He wasn’t at mission control for the landing but he was for Apollo 13. He said that was the scariest moment of his life.


That is so cool. Was he the short bald guy they told to fir a square tube into a round hole?
No kidding, flicker flea? Very cool  
Greg from LI : 7/19/2019 7:57 pm : link
My grandpa's name was Bob Keller, if that rings any bells for your dad. I don't know what his job was, but I know he worked at Grumman in the 60s and 70s and worked on the module
Very cool  
flicker, flea : 7/19/2019 8:24 pm : link
indeed Greg, will ask him. The astronauts were always quick to point out that they wouldn't have been able to complete the 11 Mission without the help of folks like your grandfather and my father.
I was at home watching it on TV ...  
Manny in CA : 7/20/2019 3:09 pm : link

Incredible the, just as incredible now. Five years later, I worked in the space program, at Goldstone DSS, here in California. Friend of ours was Station Manager there in '69.

A few years ago, I worked with a guy who was stationed on the Hornet (off the coast of Vietnam). It's in bad shape now (just a couple of old airplanes on the deck. I went to see it for the first time , this past Sunday.

Check out this lunar module gear at the Hornet ...

https://www.thereporter.com/2019/07/19/apollo-11s-50th-anniversary-to-be-marked-aboard-uss-hornet/

Anybody remember this very funny (but phony) "Mr. Gorsky" Neil
Armstrong story ??

http://www.city-data.com/forum/other-topics/320503-good-luck-mr-gorsky-true-funny.html



I've always thought...  
rmc3981 : 7/20/2019 9:25 pm : link
and probably incorrectly, that our space program didn't end, it just went dark so that NASA didn't have the headaches of public scrutiny. I think we continued with missions, possibly to Mars.
Back to the Corner