Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

NFT: Kevin Durant

TyreeHelmet : 8/8/2019 10:17 am
“If I was leaving the Warriors, it was always going to be for the Nets,” Durant said. “They got the pieces and a creative front office. I just like what they were building.”

Few things- Haynes deserves some criticism. He was the one predicting Durant to the Knicks days before free agency.

And if this is actually true- a big if- the Knicks deserve serious criticism for not knowing they were never in it. You can't make that KP trade with the salary dumps based on hope. Needs to be strong info they are getting 2 maxes and it sounds like they were never considered. That is an enormous miscalculation.
Yahoo - ( New Window )
I don't think KD is telling  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 8/8/2019 10:19 am : link
the truth.
I nevwe thought he was coming  
nygiants16 : 8/8/2019 10:19 am : link
but you dont really believe this do you?
RE: I nevwe thought he was coming  
TyreeHelmet : 8/8/2019 10:22 am : link
In comment 14522130 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
but you dont really believe this do you?


Honestly I'm not sure what to believe. What I definitely don't believe is that he never thought about his decision until the morning of June 30th. That's an outrageous lie.

But I do think him and Irving were locked into Brooklyn for awhile.
lolKnicks.  
BrettNYG10 : 8/8/2019 10:23 am : link
.
Knicks fans need to let go of KP  
Chris684 : 8/8/2019 10:23 am : link
He was Matt Harvey/OBJ of the Knicks.

Both injury prone and a pain in the ass.

The Knicks are better off with the future wide open (as it still is) rather than hitching their dreams to Porzingis. I think the long term results will reflect that.

And maybe just give Brooklyn credit? In my opinion, they've gotten a little too much hype for one mediocre season but obviously people tuned into the league see a lot of positive things going on behind the scenes.

I would caution though, their prize is an aging Durant with blown up achilles heel and the mercurial Kyrie Irving. Nothing there is guaranteed.
RE: RE: I nevwe thought he was coming  
nygiants16 : 8/8/2019 10:25 am : link
In comment 14522134 TyreeHelmet said:
Quote:
In comment 14522130 nygiants16 said:


Quote:


but you dont really believe this do you?



Honestly I'm not sure what to believe. What I definitely don't believe is that he never thought about his decision until the morning of June 30th. That's an outrageous lie.

But I do think him and Irving were locked into Brooklyn for awhile.


He just doesnt want it to look like he followed kyrie
Also Chris Haynes has a good relationship with a lot of playerx  
nygiants16 : 8/8/2019 10:26 am : link
you really think he was fed bad info?
RE: Knicks fans need to let go of KP  
TyreeHelmet : 8/8/2019 10:33 am : link
In comment 14522137 Chris684 said:
Quote:
He was Matt Harvey/OBJ of the Knicks.

Both injury prone and a pain in the ass.

The Knicks are better off with the future wide open (as it still is) rather than hitching their dreams to Porzingis. I think the long term results will reflect that.

And maybe just give Brooklyn credit? In my opinion, they've gotten a little too much hype for one mediocre season but obviously people tuned into the league see a lot of positive things going on behind the scenes.

I would caution though, their prize is an aging Durant with blown up achilles heel and the mercurial Kyrie Irving. Nothing there is guaranteed.


I'll leave out the debate on whether it was a good idea to trade KP. But doing the deal they did with a major focus on clearing salary is a terrible move unless you feel very confident you need that cap space for a top star.
RE: RE: Knicks fans need to let go of KP  
Chris684 : 8/8/2019 10:38 am : link
In comment 14522148 TyreeHelmet said:
Quote:
In comment 14522137 Chris684 said:


Quote:


He was Matt Harvey/OBJ of the Knicks.

Both injury prone and a pain in the ass.

The Knicks are better off with the future wide open (as it still is) rather than hitching their dreams to Porzingis. I think the long term results will reflect that.

And maybe just give Brooklyn credit? In my opinion, they've gotten a little too much hype for one mediocre season but obviously people tuned into the league see a lot of positive things going on behind the scenes.

I would caution though, their prize is an aging Durant with blown up achilles heel and the mercurial Kyrie Irving. Nothing there is guaranteed.



I'll leave out the debate on whether it was a good idea to trade KP. But doing the deal they did with a major focus on clearing salary is a terrible move unless you feel very confident you need that cap space for a top star.


So you didn't want the Knicks to clear the decks for this FA run without a promise?

Yea, rather than trade him while you have the opportunity to do so, they should have kept an oft injured malcontent who thinks hes way better than he is, around.

RE: RE: RE: I nevwe thought he was coming  
Jim in Fairfax : 8/8/2019 10:43 am : link
In comment 14522139 nygiants16 said:
Quote:

He just doesnt want it to look like he followed kyrie

This.
RE: RE: Knicks fans need to let go of KP  
RomanWH : 8/8/2019 10:46 am : link
In comment 14522148 TyreeHelmet said:
Quote:
In comment 14522137 Chris684 said:


Quote:


He was Matt Harvey/OBJ of the Knicks.

Both injury prone and a pain in the ass.

The Knicks are better off with the future wide open (as it still is) rather than hitching their dreams to Porzingis. I think the long term results will reflect that.

And maybe just give Brooklyn credit? In my opinion, they've gotten a little too much hype for one mediocre season but obviously people tuned into the league see a lot of positive things going on behind the scenes.

I would caution though, their prize is an aging Durant with blown up achilles heel and the mercurial Kyrie Irving. Nothing there is guaranteed.



I'll leave out the debate on whether it was a good idea to trade KP. But doing the deal they did with a major focus on clearing salary is a terrible move unless you feel very confident you need that cap space for a top star.


How do you know they didn't have a wink & handshake agreement with Kyrie/KD before the offseason began and then they went back on the their word? Obviously they could never come out to the media and say so since it's against the rules.
Get ready for a big summer  
ghost718 : 8/8/2019 10:52 am : link
I won't criticize management for the KP trade 1 iota  
Stu11 : 8/8/2019 10:56 am : link
They moved quickly and decisively and got a great package for him while dumping awful contracts. FA is always a crap shoot so don't tell me you rely on guarantees from perspective UFA's. Listen the Knicks have been run as a joke for decades, but the KP trade is one thing they nailed. That was headed for a messy divorce like AD/NO and they cut it off at the pass before it became a circus.
Durant is  
cactus : 8/8/2019 10:56 am : link
not lying here.

I know the Knicks fans are having issues accepting it, it's like the Jets being a much more sought-after destination than the Giants all of a sudden after it being the opposite since the beginning of time.

But Brooklyn is a far better organization and far more desirable for the modern player w/r/t culture and playing style. Facilities, player development, and medical and training staff are among the best in the NBA. Did Kyrie maybe wake up Durant to those things, possibly. But once Durant had any serious thoughts of leaving Golden State it was the Nets all the way.
KD is a pathalogical liar  
Osi Osi Osi OyOyOy : 8/8/2019 10:59 am : link
I doubt this is true.

Most likely scenario is Kyrie convinced him that Brooklyn was the way to go. And when Kyrie said he was going to BK no matter what, KD preferred that to playing in MSG by himself where the media pressure could have been ridiculous if he/the team under-performed. And he's not very good when it comes to being criticized.
RE: Durant is  
cactus : 8/8/2019 10:59 am : link
In comment 14522183 cactus said:
Quote:
not lying here.


Also to add, I don't think Durant had any serious thoughts about leaving Golden State prior to the Porzingis trade or even for a while after the deal, so no way for the Knicks to know when they made the deal that they weren't going to be considered in the end.
.  
threeofakind33 : 8/8/2019 11:08 am : link
Interesting that everyone has such conviction about things they couldn’t possibly know.

Welcome to the internet, I guess.
RE: I won't criticize management for the KP trade 1 iota  
TyreeHelmet : 8/8/2019 11:12 am : link
In comment 14522182 Stu11 said:
Quote:
They moved quickly and decisively and got a great package for him while dumping awful contracts. FA is always a crap shoot so don't tell me you rely on guarantees from perspective UFA's. Listen the Knicks have been run as a joke for decades, but the KP trade is one thing they nailed. That was headed for a messy divorce like AD/NO and they cut it off at the pass before it became a circus.


You have to look at the whole picture and how it plays out. But I have no idea how any rational fan can think they nailed that trade. The "awful contracts" were-

Lee- 1 year 12 million
Hardaway- 2 years ( PO for 2021) 36 million.

So they cleared out 30 million in cap space to be able to sign Taj Gibson, Elfrid Payton, Ellington and Portis....

We'll see about the picks but the 2023 cannot be in the top 10 and could very well turn into a 2nd round pick.

They better hope Dennis Smith turns out to be good because they didn't receive much for Porzingis.

And while free agency is a crapshoot, teams 100% rely on promises and information from upcoming free agents. Well atleast smart teams do.
Porzingis was likely to walk away for nothing anyway  
Greg from LI : 8/8/2019 11:26 am : link
So, while I'm not thrilled with how all that went down, I can't say I blame them in this particular case.
RE: Porzingis was likely to walk away for nothing anyway  
TyreeHelmet : 8/8/2019 11:29 am : link
In comment 14522230 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
So, while I'm not thrilled with how all that went down, I can't say I blame them in this particular case.


0% chance KP was taking the qualifying offer and waiting a year to UFA. The Knicks held all the cards and leverage. No shot they were losing him for nothing. He wasn't turning down 150 million guaranteed.
RE: RE: Porzingis was likely to walk away for nothing anyway  
nygiants16 : 8/8/2019 11:31 am : link
In comment 14522236 TyreeHelmet said:
Quote:
In comment 14522230 Greg from LI said:


Quote:


So, while I'm not thrilled with how all that went down, I can't say I blame them in this particular case.



0% chance KP was taking the qualifying offer and waiting a year to UFA. The Knicks held all the cards and leverage. No shot they were losing him for nothing. He wasn't turning down 150 million guaranteed.


and you would be willing to call his bluff? the second the trade deadline passed the knicks had zero leverage
Would you bet on that?  
Greg from LI : 8/8/2019 11:34 am : link
What do you stand to gain there? Keeping a disgruntled player around longer? His trade value certainly wouldn't increase at that point.
RE: Would you bet on that?  
nygiants16 : 8/8/2019 11:34 am : link
In comment 14522249 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
What do you stand to gain there? Keeping a disgruntled player around longer? His trade value certainly wouldn't increase at that point.


his trade value becomes nothing because he would have a no trade clause
Here's how I see it  
Pep22 : 8/8/2019 11:36 am : link
Porzingis:

-high maintenance guy who was not committed to the program
-expressed a demand to be traded
-is highly injury prone

was traded for salary dumps opening up 2 MAX spots + DSJ + 2 first rounders

The MAX $ was ticketed for KD and KI, but the injury to KD threw a massive wrench into this. Fearing another Amare situation, the Knicks paused and then pivoted to Plan B which was to sign Julius Randle at a fraction of the price of Porzingis along with some high basketball character guys to change the culture of a team that had been led :) by the likes of Melo and Porzingis in recent years. Many of the 1 year deals will be trade chips in February. Good for them in not signing a guy who will be 32 the next time we see him (coming off the worst hoops injury). Good for them in not doing a Plan B that consisted of sub Max players signed to the Max.
RE: I nevwe thought he was coming  
santacruzom : 8/8/2019 11:40 am : link
In comment 14522130 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
but you dont really believe this do you?


I don't know if I believe the bit about it only being the Nets he was interested in, but I can definitely imagine that he always had doubts/concerns about the Knicks.
Trading Porzingis wasnt about "hope"  
Ten Ton Hammer : 8/8/2019 11:43 am : link
How do people still not see this.
I find it interesting that some Knicks fans are still  
Chris684 : 8/8/2019 11:50 am : link
losing their minds.

If you go back to last year's draft, they have pretty much executed a plan exactly as any organization with a solid plan in place would.

The Knox pick, while the jury is still out, was probably the no brainer pick to make.

Robinson in the 2nd is a major check in the plus side for Perry.

As outlined above the KP deal was a no brainer.

This offseason, while not the desired outcome, was all due to factors outside of the current regime's control. Not that there was much debate as to who they should select at 3, they didn't get cute.

Once they missed out on the top guys, they got the right guy at the right price in Randle. They also built up the roster with lots of youth, solid characters, tough minded players who are either, young, cheap or short term commitments.

If nothing else, the 2019 Knicks look like an intriguing and fun team to root for with some potential to grow and a future that is completely wide open financially.
sure, I can easily believe he had concerns about the Knicks  
Greg from LI : 8/8/2019 11:52 am : link
Who wouldn't?

The notion that the Nets were the only team he'd ever leave the Warriors for is laughable, though.
RE: I find it interesting that some Knicks fans are still  
Pep22 : 8/8/2019 11:56 am : link
In comment 14522276 Chris684 said:
Quote:
losing their minds.

If you go back to last year's draft, they have pretty much executed a plan exactly as any organization with a solid plan in place would.

The Knox pick, while the jury is still out, was probably the no brainer pick to make.

Robinson in the 2nd is a major check in the plus side for Perry.

As outlined above the KP deal was a no brainer.

This offseason, while not the desired outcome, was all due to factors outside of the current regime's control. Not that there was much debate as to who they should select at 3, they didn't get cute.

Once they missed out on the top guys, they got the right guy at the right price in Randle. They also built up the roster with lots of youth, solid characters, tough minded players who are either, young, cheap or short term commitments.

If nothing else, the 2019 Knicks look like an intriguing and fun team to root for with some potential to grow and a future that is completely wide open financially.


Smart post. I'd also add to that Trier and potentially Brazdeikas were nice/cheap finds. Then you have RJB.
RE: Here's how I see it  
TyreeHelmet : 8/8/2019 12:00 pm : link
In comment 14522255 Pep22 said:
Quote:
Porzingis:

-high maintenance guy who was not committed to the program
-expressed a demand to be traded
-is highly injury prone

was traded for salary dumps opening up 2 MAX spots + DSJ + 2 first rounders

The MAX $ was ticketed for KD and KI, but the injury to KD threw a massive wrench into this. Fearing another Amare situation, the Knicks paused and then pivoted to Plan B which was to sign Julius Randle at a fraction of the price of Porzingis along with some high basketball character guys to change the culture of a team that had been led :) by the likes of Melo and Porzingis in recent years. Many of the 1 year deals will be trade chips in February. Good for them in not signing a guy who will be 32 the next time we see him (coming off the worst hoops injury). Good for them in not doing a Plan B that consisted of sub Max players signed to the Max.


So you think the Knicks turned down Kevin Durant because of the injury? Then why did Steve Mills issue that absurd apology to the fans?

If you guys want to dump all over Porzingis then have at it. I disagree but we'll leave that for another day. My point is they could have received more for him if they didn't dump those contracts. Even if it was Dallas, they could have gotten another 1st and probably made the 2023 pick unprotected.

And either they were blindfully ignorant, received bad information or had Durant/ Iriving change their minds or got flat beat out by the Nets for them. None of them are good scenarios or reflect well on this front office. Or worse their plan was dump those contracts to sign the players they did...
RE: RE: Here's how I see it  
Chris684 : 8/8/2019 12:04 pm : link
In comment 14522293 TyreeHelmet said:
Quote:
In comment 14522255 Pep22 said:


Quote:


Porzingis:

-high maintenance guy who was not committed to the program
-expressed a demand to be traded
-is highly injury prone

was traded for salary dumps opening up 2 MAX spots + DSJ + 2 first rounders

The MAX $ was ticketed for KD and KI, but the injury to KD threw a massive wrench into this. Fearing another Amare situation, the Knicks paused and then pivoted to Plan B which was to sign Julius Randle at a fraction of the price of Porzingis along with some high basketball character guys to change the culture of a team that had been led :) by the likes of Melo and Porzingis in recent years. Many of the 1 year deals will be trade chips in February. Good for them in not signing a guy who will be 32 the next time we see him (coming off the worst hoops injury). Good for them in not doing a Plan B that consisted of sub Max players signed to the Max.



So you think the Knicks turned down Kevin Durant because of the injury? Then why did Steve Mills issue that absurd apology to the fans?

If you guys want to dump all over Porzingis then have at it. I disagree but we'll leave that for another day. My point is they could have received more for him if they didn't dump those contracts. Even if it was Dallas, they could have gotten another 1st and probably made the 2023 pick unprotected.

And either they were blindfully ignorant, received bad information or had Durant/ Iriving change their minds or got flat beat out by the Nets for them. None of them are good scenarios or reflect well on this front office. Or worse their plan was dump those contracts to sign the players they did...


Why fuss over Durant now though?

Do you realize how likely it is that the Knicks actually dodged a bullet? Odds are that Durant is not the same player ever again.

You know what pisses me off the most about this offseason? That the Lakers lucked into the 4th pick and were able to get Anthony Davis.
RE: .  
Alan in Toledo : 8/8/2019 12:14 pm : link
In comment 14522204 threeofakind33 said:
Quote:
Interesting that everyone has such conviction about things they couldn’t possibly know.

Welcome to the internet, I guess.


+1
Of course he is full of shit  
dep026 : 8/8/2019 12:19 pm : link
there isnt a better run organization right now than GS. All the pieces were there too.

He wanted to play with Kyrie. Nothing more, nothing less. And the Nets were the only team that could sign both and wanted them.
RE: Of course he is full of shit  
cactus : 8/8/2019 12:21 pm : link
In comment 14522315 dep026 said:
Quote:
there isnt a better run organization right now than GS. All the pieces were there too.

He wanted to play with Kyrie. Nothing more, nothing less. And the Nets were the only team that could sign both and wanted them.


So you think if Kyrie and Durant went to the Knicks and said we both want to play here, they would have said no? You've got to be kidding.
Knicks didnt want Kyrie  
dep026 : 8/8/2019 12:22 pm : link
...
And Kyrie never wanted  
dep026 : 8/8/2019 12:23 pm : link
them.
RE: RE: Of course he is full of shit  
Pep22 : 8/8/2019 12:48 pm : link
In comment 14522319 cactus said:
Quote:
In comment 14522315 dep026 said:


Quote:


there isnt a better run organization right now than GS. All the pieces were there too.

He wanted to play with Kyrie. Nothing more, nothing less. And the Nets were the only team that could sign both and wanted them.



So you think if Kyrie and Durant went to the Knicks and said we both want to play here, they would have said no? You've got to be kidding.


I don't think the Knicks wanted KD at MAX $$ with an early OPT OUT after the injury. And once that was the case, they didn't want Kyrie. As I said, the injury threw a wrench into PLan A, so they targeted Plan B.
RE: I don't think KD is telling  
djm : 8/8/2019 12:56 pm : link
In comment 14522129 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:
Quote:
the truth.


Color me shocked.
...  
christian : 8/8/2019 12:58 pm : link
Just a little qualifier so the message isn't complete BS -- I worked in executive digital strategy for a NY based luxury department store for 5 years, and worked on deals/projects with Aaron Judge, OBJ, James Harden, GQ, tons of trendy menswear and shoe brands etc.

All of the marketing predictive data and quantifiable data post analysis showed the untapped growth in product endorsement, product development, media revenue, etc. in Brooklyn was off the charts.

A Brooklyn based branded, young, black owned venture (media, apparel, even just personality) is a gold mine.
Saw this...  
kelsto811 : 8/8/2019 1:29 pm : link
And as a Nets fan, still don't really believe it. Right thing to say and nice to hear though.
RE: Saw this...  
nygiants16 : 8/8/2019 1:32 pm : link
In comment 14522374 kelsto811 said:
Quote:
And as a Nets fan, still don't really believe it. Right thing to say and nice to hear though.


right he has no choice to say that, he cant say oh knocks were my number 1 choice or amother team was...

He said what he had to say..
I just wish we had some of the players we had in the 80s.  
Carl in CT : 8/8/2019 2:10 pm : link
Heart, played D, and if you drive the lane you were sent on your ass. KP wouldn’t last 1 game coming back to the Garden. They would break him in half.
So we're supposed to believe that Chris Haynes, who's extremely  
shockeyisthebest8056 : 8/8/2019 2:14 pm : link
well-connected to KD and his camp was just WAY off base here and had no clue what he was talking about in regards to the Knicks?

Yeah right.
RE: I just wish we had some of the players we had in the 80s.  
Pep22 : 8/8/2019 2:15 pm : link
In comment 14522412 Carl in CT said:
Quote:
Heart, played D, and if you drive the lane you were sent on your ass. KP wouldn’t last 1 game coming back to the Garden. They would break him in half.


For as much as is legal in 2019, Gibson, Morris, Portis, Randle fit that mold. Porzingis is in for a long night on 11/14.
RE: RE: I just wish we had some of the players we had in the 80s.  
nygiants16 : 8/8/2019 2:21 pm : link
In comment 14522420 Pep22 said:
Quote:
In comment 14522412 Carl in CT said:


Quote:


Heart, played D, and if you drive the lane you were sent on your ass. KP wouldn’t last 1 game coming back to the Garden. They would break him in half.



For as much as is legal in 2019, Gibson, Morris, Portis, Randle fit that mold. Porzingis is in for a long night on 11/14.


i expect to see a lot of marcus morris on kp that night
nice of KD  
hitdog42 : 8/8/2019 2:28 pm : link
to not trash the warriors medical staff or management in the article--- taking the high road.
1 thing about kp also  
nygiants16 : 8/8/2019 2:35 pm : link
he told the knicks before the season that he decided to sit out the entire season and the knicks were fine with it...

He also told the knicks he didnt want anyone tonknow he already decided he was sitting out, that is why knicks came out with updates say oh he is going to be evaluated at certain times...

So basically he wanted the knicks to do all the talking for him when all that needed to be said was he was taking the year off...
RE: 1 thing about kp also  
Pep22 : 8/8/2019 2:50 pm : link
In comment 14522444 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
he told the knicks before the season that he decided to sit out the entire season and the knicks were fine with it...

He also told the knicks he didnt want anyone tonknow he already decided he was sitting out, that is why knicks came out with updates say oh he is going to be evaluated at certain times...

So basically he wanted the knicks to do all the talking for him when all that needed to be said was he was taking the year off...


Good point.
KP is a loser...  
Chris684 : 8/8/2019 2:54 pm : link
As a Mets/Knicks/Giants fan, KP, Beckham and Harvey have so many similarities it's striking.
Why the continued fuss over KP  
PhilSimms15 : 8/8/2019 3:40 pm : link
While trades can always be debated, the KP deal certainly seems like a winner as it netted the Knicks significant cap space, space that they will have again in 2020 and 2021 if they want it.

Plus, they got two first round picks, one totally unprotected which very rare these days.

And finally, they got Dennis Smith JR, and while it is unclear what his ceiling his, he is just 21 and was a top 10 pick a couple of years ago.

And on KP, besides being a very difficult person from nearly day one, he currently under investigation for rape, and was almost arrested for a fight outside a Latvian bar.

KP also played an average of 62 games for his first three years in the NBA and each year his play declined as the year wore on. He always seems to be beat up one way or another and it might be his body type can't take the pounding from the very heavy NBA schedule (compared to Europe).
RE: Why the continued fuss over KP  
Pep22 : 8/8/2019 4:18 pm : link
In comment 14522489 PhilSimms15 said:
Quote:
While trades can always be debated, the KP deal certainly seems like a winner as it netted the Knicks significant cap space, space that they will have again in 2020 and 2021 if they want it.

Plus, they got two first round picks, one totally unprotected which very rare these days.

And finally, they got Dennis Smith JR, and while it is unclear what his ceiling his, he is just 21 and was a top 10 pick a couple of years ago.

And on KP, besides being a very difficult person from nearly day one, he currently under investigation for rape, and was almost arrested for a fight outside a Latvian bar.

KP also played an average of 62 games for his first three years in the NBA and each year his play declined as the year wore on. He always seems to be beat up one way or another and it might be his body type can't take the pounding from the very heavy NBA schedule (compared to Europe).


It cannot be stated any better than what you have here. Well done.
RE: Knicks didnt want Kyrie  
cactus : 8/8/2019 4:37 pm : link
In comment 14522321 dep026 said:
Quote:
...


If Kyrie and Durant came to the Knicks and said we want to play here, a literal 0% chance they turn it down. No possibility on earth. No chance in hell, either.

You saying "And the Nets were the only team that could sign both and wanted them." is complete nonsense.
RE: RE: Knicks didnt want Kyrie  
nygiants16 : 8/8/2019 4:38 pm : link
In comment 14522536 cactus said:
Quote:
In comment 14522321 dep026 said:


Quote:


...



If Kyrie and Durant came to the Knicks and said we want to play here, a literal 0% chance they turn it down. No possibility on earth. No chance in hell, either.

You saying "And the Nets were the only team that could sign both and wanted them." is complete nonsense.


actually it isnt, it was pretty well known knicks were not comfortablr offering kd the max...

Nets were the only team besides the knicks who could offer both max slota, clippers were not signing them both
RE: Why the continued fuss over KP  
TyreeHelmet : 8/8/2019 4:47 pm : link
In comment 14522489 PhilSimms15 said:
Quote:
While trades can always be debated, the KP deal certainly seems like a winner as it netted the Knicks significant cap space, space that they will have again in 2020 and 2021 if they want it.

Plus, they got two first round picks, one totally unprotected which very rare these days.

And finally, they got Dennis Smith JR, and while it is unclear what his ceiling his, he is just 21 and was a top 10 pick a couple of years ago.

And on KP, besides being a very difficult person from nearly day one, he currently under investigation for rape, and was almost arrested for a fight outside a Latvian bar.

KP also played an average of 62 games for his first three years in the NBA and each year his play declined as the year wore on. He always seems to be beat up one way or another and it might be his body type can't take the pounding from the very heavy NBA schedule (compared to Europe).


If they did nothing they would have cap space in 2020 and 2021. After this offseason you actually thinks it’s a positive they made clearing cap space focus in that trade?
RE: RE: RE: Knicks didnt want Kyrie  
Bramton1 : 8/8/2019 11:00 pm : link
In comment 14522538 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
In comment 14522536 cactus said:


Quote:


In comment 14522321 dep026 said:


Quote:


...



If Kyrie and Durant came to the Knicks and said we want to play here, a literal 0% chance they turn it down. No possibility on earth. No chance in hell, either.

You saying "And the Nets were the only team that could sign both and wanted them." is complete nonsense.



actually it isnt, it was pretty well known knicks were not comfortablr offering kd the max...

Nets were the only team besides the knicks who could offer both max slota, clippers were not signing them both


Durant says it was either GS or Brooklyn. Knicks fans call BS.

Knicks put out damage control after KD announces his decision, saying they could have signed KD, but they were uncomfortable doing so after the injury. Knicks fans believe it as gospel.

I personally believe that Durant is embellishing the truth, but the Knicks statement was 100 percent a PR move. Ask yourselves, of the two statements, who would gain more to lie?
RE: RE: Knicks didnt want Kyrie  
dep026 : 8/9/2019 9:09 am : link
In comment 14522536 cactus said:
Quote:
In comment 14522321 dep026 said:


Quote:


...



If Kyrie and Durant came to the Knicks and said we want to play here, a literal 0% chance they turn it down. No possibility on earth. No chance in hell, either.

You saying "And the Nets were the only team that could sign both and wanted them." is complete nonsense.


But Kyrie didnt want to play for the Knicks and the Knicks didnt want him either, thats kind of the point. Everyone knew in the middle of the year in the NBA he was signing with Brooklyn.

And there were only 2 teams who could financially afford both of them. The Knicks and the Nets. And once Kyrie made it clear he wasnt going to the Knicks - yes, the Nets were the only team that could sign both.
RE: RE: RE: Knicks didnt want Kyrie  
cactus : 8/9/2019 10:49 am : link
In comment 14522538 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
In comment 14522536 cactus said:


Quote:


In comment 14522321 dep026 said:


Quote:


...



If Kyrie and Durant came to the Knicks and said we want to play here, a literal 0% chance they turn it down. No possibility on earth. No chance in hell, either.

You saying "And the Nets were the only team that could sign both and wanted them." is complete nonsense.



actually it isnt, it was pretty well known knicks were not comfortablr offering kd the max...

Nets were the only team besides the knicks who could offer both max slota, clippers were not signing them both


Golden State was offering him 220 million over 5. The Knicks would have given Durant a max deal if he wanted to go there, without hesitation.

No one mentioned that the Knicks weren't comfortable giving Durant the max until after he signed in Brooklyn in an obvious attempt to save face. And he didn't sign a max deal with Brooklyn anyway.
Knicks  
TyreeHelmet : 8/9/2019 12:15 pm : link
So now the Knicks didn’t feel comfortable maxing Durant and they had no interest in Irving. So the grand plan this offseason was overpay 4 power forwards and an injured Reggie Bullock?
Back to the Corner