Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

FULL. BLOOM. LOVE.

Big Rick in FL : 8/8/2019 7:55 pm
Now I know what Gettleman was talking about. I'm feeling the same way.
'But he was doing it against second stringers.'  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 8/8/2019 7:57 pm : link
-Some BBIers.

Kid looked great.
Happens to the best of us..  
Canton : 8/8/2019 8:00 pm : link
He did  
Bleedin Blue : 8/8/2019 8:01 pm : link
What I hoped for, thatís all I ask at this point. Happy for him and the Giants
Yet they'll forget to mention  
Big Rick in FL : 8/8/2019 8:01 pm : link
He was also playing with 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers. Gallman, Latimer, Fowler, Simonson & Ellison aren't exactly Pro Bowlers.
And several starters were still in the game  
Canton : 8/8/2019 8:05 pm : link
On the Jets defense.
People will find a way to bitch  
Big Rick in FL : 8/8/2019 8:09 pm : link
About any and everything. If he started badly they'd be killing him. He starts great and he's still getting killed. I know it's preseason, but I'd much rather him go 5 of 5 for 67 yards and a TD then go 0 for 5.
That was pretty impressive  
ron mexico : 8/8/2019 8:11 pm : link
Can't ask for anything more.
I could really care less about the stats  
Zeke's Alibi : 8/8/2019 8:12 pm : link
The accuracy, the command, etc was as good as it gets. Stats are always misleading

For example Darnold was 4/5 for 60 yards and a score, but there was a missed layup pick 6, which is pretty much the QB he was last year. Lots of good plays, with some backbreaking mistakes.
Even though a pass was perfectly in stride and right on the money  
PatersonPlank : 8/8/2019 8:12 pm : link
some BBI is bitchy that it "floated" showing a weak arm. Maybe its called touch?
Oh and I think his biggest question has been answered  
Zeke's Alibi : 8/8/2019 8:13 pm : link
He can definetly get the ball to the sideline. When someone said a tick above average arm strength they nailed it. Even if he had a below average arm, the type of accuracy he showed would have offset it. I thought his ceiling was about Eli Manning, now I am re evaluating that stance. I really think the sky is the limit.
It's great because  
allstarjim : 8/8/2019 8:21 pm : link
Obviously it's a confidence-builder, and confidence is huge.

I don't think you can get too excited, this doesn't mean anything in terms of how good he is as a starting QB in the NFL. It's week 1 of preseason for the Jets, too, and it's a basic defense.

I'm glad he went 5-5 and a score. But I guarantee that there are things the coaches have already noticed for him to work on.

It's a nice to see, and hopefully he can keep building on it.
For me it's just amazing how many people - fans, media, posters here  
ChaChing : 8/8/2019 8:22 pm : link
had a strong opinion in EITHER direction, but clearly didn't watch (not this thread necessarily, just in general, OP has a facetious tone too)

While it's tough to predict the college-to-pro jump, that's EXACTLY what he was known for. Timing, ball placement, accuracy. Sure, he made bad decisions leading to poor results at times, something he will need to improve upon like most rooks

It's like people would rather have ANY opinion (and rant & rave about it) without using facts to shape a better, more accurate one. Rather flail & scream vs just watch & discuss the football aspects relevant to the opinion
But yeah, how can you NOT be excited watching that drive?  
ChaChing : 8/8/2019 8:24 pm : link
His first real drive, without his #1s (really any of them), didn't even show his legs, just a solid solid arm
The entire Jones' drive:  
Dave in Hoboken : 8/8/2019 8:25 pm : link
Go crazy, kids.
Link - ( New Window )
Giants fans  
Mr. Bungle : 8/8/2019 8:26 pm : link
during DJ's first drive...
Link - ( New Window )
The kid did looks good.  
Mendenhall64 : 8/8/2019 8:30 pm : link
It wasn't a layup pick 6, It was just a missed pick.
RE: Giants fans  
Jay on the Island : 8/8/2019 8:33 pm : link
In comment 14523204 Mr. Bungle said:
Quote:
during DJ's first drive... Link - ( New Window )

That was great.
not sure any of those throws  
bluepepper : 8/8/2019 8:37 pm : link
could have been placed better. Hard not to be excited.
Perfect start  
Les in TO : 8/8/2019 8:38 pm : link
Very accurate and decisive
That Jones kid  
mrvax : 8/8/2019 8:40 pm : link
is such a teaser. Just imagine if he turns out to be very good. The Barkley/Jones picks will be a crystal ball thing.
Ugh  
ron mexico : 8/8/2019 8:41 pm : link
Why did they pull him?

Now we have to watch Taney and lauletta for three quarters
Could not have done anything he did any better.  
90.Cal : 8/8/2019 8:42 pm : link
Absolutely awesome. I knew Dan was the man!
RE: That Jones kid  
Canton : 8/8/2019 8:44 pm : link
In comment 14523267 mrvax said:
Quote:
is such a teaser. Just imagine if he turns out to be very good. The Barkley/Jones picks will be a crystal ball thing.


Diamond Dave was fearless. He acted like he's been there before.

Gettleman knew he was an NFL caliber QB after 3 drives. Two more drives to go.
What a nice first impression.  
bceagle05 : 8/8/2019 9:01 pm : link
Couldnít have scripted it any better.
RE: Giants fans  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 8/8/2019 9:07 pm : link
In comment 14523204 Mr. Bungle said:
Quote:
during DJ's first drive... Link - ( New Window )

I couldn't see every plwy, but listening to the TV, the fans were really loud and excited.
Guy looked great.  
St. Jimmy : 8/8/2019 10:16 pm : link
It was with the first team offensive line against the second team Jets defense according to Papa.
RE: Guy looked great.  
Strahan91 : 8/8/2019 10:22 pm : link
In comment 14523686 St. Jimmy said:
Quote:
It was with the first team offensive line against the second team Jets defense according to Papa.

Quinnen Williams isnít a Jets starter? News to me...
RE: RE: Guy looked great.  
St. Jimmy : 8/8/2019 10:39 pm : link
In comment 14523703 Strahan91 said:
Quote:
In comment 14523686 St. Jimmy said:


Quote:


It was with the first team offensive line against the second team Jets defense according to Papa.


Quinnen Williams isnít a Jets starter? News to me...
I am going off of what Bob Papa said. He said the Jets "subbed out their defense." I don't know shit about the Jets so I'm taking his word.

Like I said, the guy looked great. I think he should start sooner than later.
Hadda steal this from reddit...  
j_rud : 8/8/2019 10:55 pm : link
DG right now...

RE: Giants fans  
Del Shofner : 8/8/2019 11:00 pm : link
In comment 14523204 Mr. Bungle said:
Quote:
during DJ's first drive... Link - ( New Window )


that wins the internet for the night!
The lightning  
Archer : 8/8/2019 11:07 pm : link
I could not help think of the natural when Dan Jones threw his TD and subsequently you see the lightning

Maybe Jones should be called ď The NaturalĒ

I donít care what jones does for the next 10-20 years  
djm : 8/8/2019 11:37 pm : link
The reaction from many was very stupid. The media was stupid too. They fanned the flames and got the attention and reaction they desired in the end.

Jones was only a reach or bad pick to the fans that bought all those mock drafts months prior to the draft. Those same fans ignored the signs we literally see every year, those players that rise that the masses donít see, but the nfl sees them. Every single year we see these guys get drafted. Every single year we see others slide that were ďsupposedĒ to be picked higher. Based on what? People outside the nfl.

Every year. Dozens and dozens of players go higher or lower in every draft. Fans donít remember.
Who was  
Thinblueline : 8/8/2019 11:43 pm : link
The ESPN guy that had a meltdown when we drafted Jones?
RE: Who was  
ChaChing : 8/8/2019 11:44 pm : link
In comment 14523839 Thinblueline said:
Quote:
The ESPN guy that had a meltdown when we drafted Jones?

Iirc, it was most of them...
DANNY DIMES.  
Dave in Hoboken : 8/8/2019 11:44 pm : link
.
RE: I donít care what jones does for the next 10-20 years  
ChaChing : 8/8/2019 11:53 pm : link
In comment 14523834 djm said:
Quote:
The reaction from many was very stupid. The media was stupid too. They fanned the flames and got the attention and reaction they desired in the end.

Jones was only a reach or bad pick to the fans that bought all those mock drafts months prior to the draft. Those same fans ignored the signs we literally see every year, those players that rise that the masses donít see, but the nfl sees them. Every single year we see these guys get drafted. Every single year we see others slide that were ďsupposedĒ to be picked higher. Based on what? People outside the nfl.

Every year. Dozens and dozens of players go higher or lower in every draft. Fans donít remember.

Yup, good post

It's why it amazes me how many were so surprised he is accurate, and good w/ ball placement etc...they didn't watch any Duke games. But many still shat on the pick or just had an opinion based on media, draft rankings, you know - NOT actual football

But worse is the pros, ranting about how stupid / wrong it was, but literally NO actual supporting details. No talk of his toughness, throwing while getting hit, football IQ, even-temperament...just reach & weak arm...without watching him play it seemed to me

I don't presume to be an expert on college to pro, but much of these traits were obvious watching games. Now of those who watched and don't think much of him, I can respect it even if I don't agree. But still am real surprised at the level of criticism with no support, just gossip on gossip from the talking heads on down
Great start for Jones  
Torrag : 8/8/2019 11:56 pm : link
No other way to look at it or spin it if you have any integrity.
RE: Even though a pass was perfectly in stride and right on the money  
Bluesbreaker : 8/9/2019 12:47 am : link
In comment 14523158 PatersonPlank said:
Quote:
some BBI is bitchy that it "floated" showing a weak arm. Maybe its called touch?


I know what a WTF moment when that dumb comment was made my God only on BBI.
Same with the Gentleman comments just friggen ludicrous
RE: Oh and I think his biggest question has been answered  
allstarjim : 8/9/2019 11:34 am : link
In comment 14523164 Zeke's Alibi said:
Quote:
He can definetly get the ball to the sideline. When someone said a tick above average arm strength they nailed it. Even if he had a below average arm, the type of accuracy he showed would have offset it. I thought his ceiling was about Eli Manning, now I am re evaluating that stance. I really think the sky is the limit.


I'm not knocking him but that sideline throw was from the near hash, and doesn't require the zip that it does from the far hash. Not saying you're wrong, just none of those throws last night were "arm strength" throws. They were touch with accuracy throws and he was fantastic in that regard.
RE: Even though a pass was perfectly in stride and right on the money  
Leg of Theismann : 8/9/2019 1:39 pm : link
In comment 14523158 PatersonPlank said:
Quote:
some BBI is bitchy that it "floated" showing a weak arm. Maybe its called touch?


WTF? If he hadn't "floated it" it would have been intercepted or deflected, end of story.
RE: RE: Oh and I think his biggest question has been answered  
Zeke's Alibi : 8/9/2019 1:51 pm : link
In comment 14524533 allstarjim said:
Quote:
In comment 14523164 Zeke's Alibi said:


Quote:


He can definetly get the ball to the sideline. When someone said a tick above average arm strength they nailed it. Even if he had a below average arm, the type of accuracy he showed would have offset it. I thought his ceiling was about Eli Manning, now I am re evaluating that stance. I really think the sky is the limit.



I'm not knocking him but that sideline throw was from the near hash, and doesn't require the zip that it does from the far hash. Not saying you're wrong, just none of those throws last night were "arm strength" throws. They were touch with accuracy throws and he was fantastic in that regard.


He threw a deep out on the near sideline against a cover 2. Yeh he didn't throw it the far sideline, but the arm was live. He clearly has sufficient arm strength to play in this league. That was my biggest question mark on him. Apparently at Duke Cutcliffe instructed him to take a little of the ball because his WRs were so poor.
RE: RE: RE: Oh and I think his biggest question has been answered  
allstarjim : 8/11/2019 4:08 pm : link
In comment 14524735 Zeke's Alibi said:
Quote:
In comment 14524533 allstarjim said:


Quote:


In comment 14523164 Zeke's Alibi said:


Quote:


He can definetly get the ball to the sideline. When someone said a tick above average arm strength they nailed it. Even if he had a below average arm, the type of accuracy he showed would have offset it. I thought his ceiling was about Eli Manning, now I am re evaluating that stance. I really think the sky is the limit.



I'm not knocking him but that sideline throw was from the near hash, and doesn't require the zip that it does from the far hash. Not saying you're wrong, just none of those throws last night were "arm strength" throws. They were touch with accuracy throws and he was fantastic in that regard.



He threw a deep out on the near sideline against a cover 2. Yeh he didn't throw it the far sideline, but the arm was live. He clearly has sufficient arm strength to play in this league. That was my biggest question mark on him. Apparently at Duke Cutcliffe instructed him to take a little of the ball because his WRs were so poor.


That's as generous of a description of a deep out as I've ever seen.
Back to the Corner