Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Does anyone else think Mahomes is part of the reason...

BestFeature : 8/9/2019 1:15 pm
...Jones was criticized so much? It's as if he's set an impossible bar. Now if a QB doesn't have an elite arm people seem to think he's not worthy of a top pick. People need to remember there are many ways to skin a cat and some of the best QBs in history didn't have cannons. In fact I'd venture to guess most didn't.
Not really  
Randy_Lahey : 8/9/2019 1:26 pm : link
It seems clear to me that resistance to Jones was based on statistics.

Josh Allen can throw it to the moon but faced similar levels of derision last year, and for him it was all about completion percentage.

Stat nerds have prominent positions in the media now, but football is so contextual (e.g. D Jones' lack of help on offense) it can't be judged just on numbers.
And there've been some guys with cannons  
Dr. D : 8/9/2019 1:28 pm : link
who turned out to be busts.

But I think the main reason DJ was so criticized is that there ate way too many people in the media who don't know WTF they're talking about and way too many fans take them seriously.

Most serious and respected NFL people didnt have a problem with the pick.
Are  
Dr. D : 8/9/2019 1:29 pm : link
Not "ate too many people"!
IMO it was because the Giants have no pass rush...  
sb from NYT Forum : 8/9/2019 1:43 pm : link
...and that the general opinion was that 2019 was a weak class for QBs and in most years Jones would be a 2nd rounder.
I think the reason  
darren in pdx : 8/9/2019 1:55 pm : link
people were so down on Jones was because on such a shitty team and it made him and his stats look worse. People often forget how much of a team game this sport is sometimes.

We still need to see how he deals with pressure on the NFL level, he didn't do great in college but the amounts of pressure he saw in college were even worse than the Giants o-line the past many years.
RE: Not really  
Strahan91 : 8/9/2019 1:58 pm : link
In comment 14524718 Randy_Lahey said:
Quote:
It seems clear to me that resistance to Jones was based on statistics.

Josh Allen can throw it to the moon but faced similar levels of derision last year, and for him it was all about completion percentage.

Stat nerds have prominent positions in the media now, but football is so contextual (e.g. D Jones' lack of help on offense) it can't be judged just on numbers.

I don't agree with the OP's premise but of course Allen faced similar levels of criticism. That draft was before Mahomes started his MVP campaign. Mahomes took a lot of heat from draftniks as a prospect too.
Lots of reasons for skepticism on Jones  
weeg in the bronx : 8/9/2019 3:44 pm : link
School, stats, wins, rise up the draft leader senior year.
RE: Not really  
LauderdaleMatty : 8/9/2019 3:50 pm : link
In comment 14524718 Randy_Lahey said:
Quote:
It seems clear to me that resistance to Jones was based on statistics.

Josh Allen can throw it to the moon but faced similar levels of derision last year, and for him it was all about completion percentage.

Stat nerds have prominent positions in the media now, but football is so contextual (e.g. D Jones' lack of help on offense) it can't be judged just on numbers.


As in itís impossible to build any type of statistical model but that doesnít stop the stat zealots. Not all of the stat nerds are zealots but a lot of them are. Doesnít mean Any of us know how Jones can be but football has too many moving parts and players different skill sets. If it wasnít only about arm strength everyone here would know who Eric Kresser was.
College stats for QBs and RBs  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 8/9/2019 4:01 pm : link
Are largely team and scheme dependent and should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt.

Some of the more one on one match ups are more straightforward, like edge rushers. That's why I like Allen and Ximines and their production over the flashier workout warriors.
Also, a lot of Irrational, Conspiracy Theory  
clatterbuck : 8/9/2019 4:34 pm : link
BS about the Manning-Cutliffe-Mara connection. Throw in Jints Central derangement syndrome.
RE: IMO it was because the Giants have no pass rush...  
djm : 8/9/2019 5:42 pm : link
In comment 14524729 sb from NYT Forum said:
Quote:
...and that the general opinion was that 2019 was a weak class for QBs and in most years Jones would be a 2nd rounder.


Who says most years jones would have been a second rounder? Oh, thatís right, no one actually within the NFL and certainly not the giants.



RE: RE: IMO it was because the Giants have no pass rush...  
sb from NYT Forum : 8/9/2019 5:47 pm : link
In comment 14525066 djm said:
Quote:
In comment 14524729 sb from NYT Forum said:


Quote:


...and that the general opinion was that 2019 was a weak class for QBs and in most years Jones would be a 2nd rounder.



Who says most years jones would have been a second rounder? Oh, thatís right, no one actually within the NFL and certainly not the giants.




Who exactly are you arguing with? The OP asked why people think the Jones pick was criticized. Obviously no one in the Giants criticized the pick; neither did any NFL staffer.
Back to the Corner