Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

NGT - Antonio Brown loses helmet grievance

dep026 : 8/12/2019 4:53 pm
Per ESPN

So do Oakland fans start their Antonio Brown appreciation thread?
probably wants more  
madgiantscow009 : 8/12/2019 4:58 pm : link
money.
Therr was another comment that said he looks forward  
robbieballs2003 : 8/12/2019 4:59 pm : link
to joining his teammates now.
RE: probably wants more  
Jay on the Island : 8/12/2019 5:01 pm : link
In comment 14528162 madgiantscow009 said:
Quote:
money.

They already gave him a new contract right after they acquired him.
He tweeted  
pjcas18 : 8/12/2019 5:02 pm : link
that he disagreed with the ruling, but is working on getting healthy and joining his teammates. He's excited for the season.

Maybe a little bit overblown?

Remains to be seen I guess, but AB seems like someone talked to him.
He should..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 8/12/2019 5:02 pm : link
just turn the old helmet over and use it to hold the popcorn....
RE: He tweeted  
Big Blue '56 : 8/12/2019 5:13 pm : link
In comment 14528169 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
that he disagreed with the ruling, but is working on getting healthy and joining his teammates. He's excited for the season.

Maybe a little bit overblown?

Remains to be seen I guess, but AB seems like someone talked to him.


Iirc, he has something like $35 million in guarantees. Thatís what talked to him
This was always overblown  
UConn4523 : 8/12/2019 5:16 pm : link
and example of a couple comments made to sound like something entirely different. These tweets and single sentence descriptions of events are rarely accurate.
He probably would have looked silly  
St. Jimmy : 8/12/2019 5:32 pm : link
wearing a Steelers' helmet with a Raiders uniform.
There were over 30 players  
Gman11 : 8/13/2019 7:02 am : link
wearing old helmets that were told they needed to upgrade to the newer model. Brown was the only one to file a grievance.

I think the guy may have already had one concussion too many. What a goof.
Why does filing a grievance  
UConn4523 : 8/13/2019 7:11 am : link
mean someone is crazy/concussed/bi-polar? Heís an attention whore, that we can all agree on. But if he legitimately hates the new helmet, why not try and push back on the league?
RE: probably wants more  
mfsd : 8/13/2019 7:14 am : link
In comment 14528162 madgiantscow009 said:
Quote:
money.


I suspect he just wanted to skip the first couple weeks of training camp
RE: There were over 30 players  
christian : 8/13/2019 7:14 am : link
In comment 14528675 Gman11 said:
Quote:
wearing old helmets that were told they needed to upgrade to the newer model. Brown was the only one to file a grievance.

I think the guy may have already had one concussion too many. What a goof.


The helmet was fine last year, and the last 10 years, it's worth asking. Brady among others were annoyed and wanted to use their old helmets.

This looks like a an example where the reaction to the crazy person turned out more crazy than said person.
.  
arcarsenal : 8/13/2019 8:29 am : link
No, I think Brown's recent history and laundry list is long enough that it's reasonable to blame him for blowing yet another issue out of proportion and creating another massive distraction for his team.

Gruden had his back - I don't think he can afford to take a stand against a guy like Brown at this juncture and risk creating a divide in the locker room - but I'm pretty sure no coach wants to keep answering questions about their WR's helmet.

Brady was able to have an issue with the helmet without turning it into a ridiculous story.

This is just what Brown does. He's an attention whore, a loose cannon and a tremendous headache. This won't be the last time Oakland has to deal with off-field headlines with him and the Steelers are probably happy to be rid of the nonsense.

It's very hard to defend this guy. He's constantly a story for all the wrong reasons.
RE: .  
christian : 8/13/2019 8:35 am : link
In comment 14528732 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
No, I think Brown's recent history and laundry list is long enough that it's reasonable to blame him for blowing yet another issue out of proportion and creating another massive distraction for his team.

Gruden had his back - I don't think he can afford to take a stand against a guy like Brown at this juncture and risk creating a divide in the locker room - but I'm pretty sure no coach wants to keep answering questions about their WR's helmet.

Brady was able to have an issue with the helmet without turning it into a ridiculous story.

This is just what Brown does. He's an attention whore, a loose cannon and a tremendous headache. This won't be the last time Oakland has to deal with off-field headlines with him and the Steelers are probably happy to be rid of the nonsense.

It's very hard to defend this guy. He's constantly a story for all the wrong reasons.


While much of that might be true, in this case he filed the grievance, was heard and apparently his point quite recognized, lost and moved on, no?
.  
arcarsenal : 8/13/2019 8:40 am : link
Did it need to be this much of a story, though? Much of the reason this became such a distracting, stupid story is because of him. It's not always everyone else's fault. Brown is often his own worst enemy.

He threw a fit over the helmet, acted like he was ready to take his ball and go home, and then when he lost the grievance, he recoiled and realized he had no other recourse - so he walked away with his tail between his legs.

Tom Brady handled this issue just fine without turning it into a ridiculous distraction. Brown should take notes.
Of course he could have handled it better  
UConn4523 : 8/13/2019 8:45 am : link
but this was just as embarrassing for the media and the people who ate it up with a giant spoon. I said it before but people go absolutely nuts of a 5 word tweet with absolutely zero context. Itís brutal.
.  
arcarsenal : 8/13/2019 8:49 am : link
Brown has been around long enough to know how the media works. He knows exactly what he's doing.

There's zero percent of me that feels bad for him here or feels like he was victimized by tweets or media. "Mr. Big Chest" just likes being the center of attention and likes to kick up dirt and create storms wherever he goes.
What if, those who want to wear the helmet of their  
Big Blue '56 : 8/13/2019 8:57 am : link
choice signed a legal, absolving-of-all-future-head/brain and neck claims waiver that ensures that they or their family cannot ever sue for damages in those areas, whether it can be proved it was helmet-induced or not?

I donít know whether this would legally hold up, so just askiní
RE: What if, those who want to wear the helmet of their  
Mad Mike : 8/13/2019 9:11 am : link
In comment 14528771 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
choice signed a legal, absolving-of-all-future-head/brain and neck claims waiver that ensures that they or their family cannot ever sue for damages in those areas, whether it can be proved it was helmet-induced or not?

I donít know whether this would legally hold up, so just askiní

The league's taken an awful lot of hits (pun intended) over it's attitude over the years towards player safety. As they're starting to get more serious, I doubt they want to be in the position of allowing players to choose to endanger themselves.
We don't even know who  
Gman11 : 8/13/2019 9:43 am : link
the other 30 players are, other than Brady, because they, more than likely, saw it as a safety issue. We're not talking about shoes or knee pads. We're talking about preventing concussions. He was the only one to make a big stink about it while he's on the sideline with his cracking feet.
Back to the Corner