Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

What draftees that you thought would become a HOFer, did?

Big Blue '56 : 8/17/2019 12:40 pm
Go back as far as you want..There are of course certain HOFers that are still playing, but who did you have the strongest conviction on when they were drafted that he or they were going to be HOFers and actually made it to Canton?
Ogden  
figgy2989 : 8/17/2019 12:45 pm : link
You just knew he was going to be an elite OL coming into the NFL.
RE: Ogden  
Big Blue '56 : 8/17/2019 12:46 pm : link
In comment 14533943 figgy2989 said:
Quote:
You just knew he was going to be an elite OL coming into the NFL.


And we ďalmostĒ had him, or so many of us thought
Bo Jackson...  
KingBlue : 8/17/2019 12:50 pm : link
Never saw anything like him.
Back in the Ď60s, when I actually watched college football,  
Big Blue '56 : 8/17/2019 12:53 pm : link
I was certain about Sayers and Butkus
Ed Reed  
Chris684 : 8/17/2019 12:58 pm : link
Adrian Peterson
Charles  
Giantophile : 8/17/2019 1:04 pm : link
Woodson.
RE: Charles  
Giantophile : 8/17/2019 1:05 pm : link
In comment 14533965 Giantophile said:
Quote:
Woodson.


I realize he's not in yet but he's a lock. I'd throw Peyton Manning in there as well.
...  
christian : 8/17/2019 1:15 pm : link
Urlacher, Gonzalez, Randy Moss, P. Manning, Reed.
RE: Back in the Ď60s, when I actually watched college football,  
Stan in LA : 8/17/2019 1:27 pm : link
In comment 14533955 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
I was certain about Sayers and Butkus


BB, you should have called Giant Central.
Lawrence Taylor. Of course I was not alone in knowing  
Giants61 : 8/17/2019 1:32 pm : link
he was so very special
Eli Manning  
Daniel in Kentucky : 8/17/2019 2:03 pm : link
I remember Peyton saying he was better than him.
Orlando Pace, Marshall Faulk  
allstarjim : 8/17/2019 2:05 pm : link
.
Well, Iíll say this...  
bw in dc : 8/17/2019 2:21 pm : link
I thought these players were absolutely canít miss prospects in college. So seeing them go to Canton, or on their way, is no surprise...

Barry Sanders
Prime
Rod Woodson
Ronnie Lott
Cortez Kennedy
Warren Sapp
Julius Peppers
Troy Polamalu
Andrew Luck
Randy Moss
Adrian Peterson  
Motley Two : 8/17/2019 2:24 pm : link
.
Terrell Suggs  
djm : 8/17/2019 2:26 pm : link
He will be one day.

Russel Wilson. He will too, if he keeps this up.

Marshall Faulk (so did everyone else)

Eli Manning.

Peter Warrick ó lol
RE: Terrell Suggs  
Big Blue '56 : 8/17/2019 2:31 pm : link
In comment 14534067 djm said:
Quote:
He will be one day.

Russel Wilson. He will too, if he keeps this up.

Marshall Faulk (so did everyone else)

Eli Manning.

Peter Warrick ó lol


But the question my friend, is whether or not, for example, you thought Wilson was a good bet for the HOF coming out of college
Iím curious about this:  
Big Blue '56 : 8/17/2019 3:00 pm : link
For those who watched Jerry Rice in College, did you believe coming out he was destined for the HOF?
Emmitt Smith  
John In CO : 8/17/2019 3:17 pm : link
Went to a lot of Gator games while living in Orlando in the late 80's and I thought he was cant miss.

RE: Iím curious about this:  
John In CO : 8/17/2019 3:20 pm : link
In comment 14534129 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
For those who watched Jerry Rice in College, did you believe coming out he was destined for the HOF?


All you Mississippi Valley State fans, please make yourself known:). I dont recall ever having seen him play in college. He was certainly a shark in a pond full of guppies.
John Elway  
Big Blue Blogger : 8/17/2019 3:26 pm : link
Eric Dickerson
Ronnie Lott
RE: RE: Iím curious about this:  
Big Blue '56 : 8/17/2019 3:29 pm : link
In comment 14534171 John In CO said:
Quote:
In comment 14534129 Big Blue '56 said:


Quote:


For those who watched Jerry Rice in College, did you believe coming out he was destined for the HOF?



All you Mississippi Valley State fans, please make yourself known:). I dont recall ever having seen him play in college. He was certainly a shark in a pond full of guppies.


Were his games ever televised?
Robert Gallery  
TommytheElephant : 8/17/2019 3:32 pm : link
.
Probably a decent amount  
Jimmy Googs : 8/17/2019 3:32 pm : link
Champ Bailey being the latest...
Barkley  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 8/17/2019 3:39 pm : link
RB is the easiest position to scout.
RE: Barkley  
Big Blue Blogger : 8/17/2019 3:51 pm : link
Coach Red Beaulieu said:
Quote:
RB is the easiest position to scout.
Easy to scout? Perhaps. Easy to predict NFL success? Not so much. Here are the RBs selected in the top 5 between Tomlinson (2001) and Barkley (2018):
Cadillac Williams
Cedric Benson
Ronnie Brown
Darren McFadden
Trent Richardson
Ezekiel Elliott
Leonard Fournette

Elliott is terrific, but Iíll be surprised if his overall body of work rises to HoF level. The rest? Yuck.
BB'56. In 1964, I attended a Kansas/Syracuse game at Archbold Stadium  
carpoon : 8/17/2019 3:55 pm : link
where Gale Sayers ran for something like 18 carries for 16 yards and I said this guy will never make it.:))
RE: BB'56. In 1964, I attended a Kansas/Syracuse game at Archbold Stadium  
Big Blue '56 : 8/17/2019 4:03 pm : link
In comment 14534216 carpoon said:
Quote:
where Gale Sayers ran for something like 18 carries for 16 yards and I said this guy will never make it.:))


Oh thatís funny. That is one game I did not see..
OJ Simpson  
OntheRoad : 8/17/2019 4:29 pm : link
after seeing him break six tackles on a 12-yard TD run.
RE: RE: Barkley  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 8/17/2019 4:37 pm : link
In comment 14534213 Big Blue Blogger said:
Quote:
Coach Red Beaulieu said:

Quote:


RB is the easiest position to scout.

Easy to scout? Perhaps. Easy to predict NFL success? Not so much. Here are the RBs selected in the top 5 between Tomlinson (2001) and Barkley (2018):
Cadillac Williams
Cedric Benson
Ronnie Brown
Darren McFadden
Trent Richardson
Ezekiel Elliott
Leonard Fournette

Elliott is terrific, but Iíll be surprised if his overall body of work rises to HoF level. The rest? Yuck.

I never projected any of them as HoFer, none of them exhibited the otherworldly skillet of Barkley. They are mortals that have a good chance to bust. I wouldn't be surprised if Barkley is better than all of them in every measurable (Fournette is bigger?)
I was definitely right predicting HOF status for Jim Brown.  
Phil in Joisey : 8/17/2019 5:44 pm : link
I was definitely wrong predicting HOF status for
Joe Don Looney!
RE: I was definitely right predicting HOF status for Jim Brown.  
Big Blue '56 : 8/17/2019 6:36 pm : link
In comment 14534317 Phil in Joisey said:
Quote:
I was definitely wrong predicting HOF status for
Joe Don Looney!


Lol..He was a sicko, thatís for sure. A very apt name..Oddly, I never saw Brown play at Syracuse. I had no idea that he would turn out to be the greatest offensive player ever, imo
It's funny, I can't remember ever thinking about a draft pick:  
81_Great_Dane : 8/17/2019 6:44 pm : link
"Oh, he's going to be a Hall of Famer." But I'm always saying about the draft that there are 5-7 HOFers, on average, in every rookie class ó†the GM's job is to get those guys. Find a bunch of HOFers in a short space of time and you can build a dynasty.

Elway was maybe the closest. Maybe Peyton too. Those guys were just so hyped coming out of college.

It's much easier to think that way about the NBA. Kareem, Magic, Bird, Hakeem, Jordan, Ewing, LeBron... lots of guys look like they're on their way to the HOF before they step on an NBA court for their first game. Usually everybody can see it and those guys go instantly at the top of the draft. But not always.
RE: Iím curious about this:  
bw in dc : 8/17/2019 6:55 pm : link
In comment 14534129 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
For those who watched Jerry Rice in College, did you believe coming out he was destined for the HOF?


Even if anyone did, I doubt they could feel great that Riceís success conveying to the NFL level.

I saw Moss a few times at Marshall. He was nasty. But he was very well known because he was headed to Notre Dame before getting jailed for fighting. And then he was off to Florida State, where he got kicked off by Bowden for smoking weed. So the talent was very high level...
Zeke is going to the HOF if he stays healthy....keeps up  
Zeke's Alibi : 8/17/2019 6:57 pm : link
this production for another 5 years and there is no chance he is out.
Ed Reed  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 8/17/2019 6:58 pm : link
.
RE: Iím curious about this:  
81_Great_Dane : 8/17/2019 7:40 pm : link
In comment 14534129 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
For those who watched Jerry Rice in College, did you believe coming out he was destined for the HOF?
Remember that Rice wasn't a top pick. 16th overall. Questions about his speed, lower level of competition, blah blah blah. But at the same time, I remember paying attention to that draft (may have even watched it on TV, if that was a thing then) and thinking that Rice to the 49ers was the rich getting richer. He was known to have huge upside.

He was a funny case. People knew he could be very good, but wasn't a considered a sure thing, and I don't remember anybody projecting him as a HOFer, never mind the GOAT at his position.
RE: RE: RE: Barkley  
Ten Ton Hammer : 8/17/2019 7:50 pm : link
In comment 14534253 Coach Red Beaulieu said:
Quote:
In comment 14534213 Big Blue Blogger said:


Quote:


Coach Red Beaulieu said:

Quote:


RB is the easiest position to scout.

Easy to scout? Perhaps. Easy to predict NFL success? Not so much. Here are the RBs selected in the top 5 between Tomlinson (2001) and Barkley (2018):
Cadillac Williams
Cedric Benson
Ronnie Brown
Darren McFadden
Trent Richardson
Ezekiel Elliott
Leonard Fournette

Elliott is terrific, but Iíll be surprised if his overall body of work rises to HoF level. The rest? Yuck.


I never projected any of them as HoFer, none of them exhibited the otherworldly skillet of Barkley. They are mortals that have a good chance to bust. I wouldn't be surprised if Barkley is better than all of them in every measurable (Fournette is bigger?)


my top 3 were Randy Moss, Orlando Pace and Troy Aikman  
markky : 8/17/2019 7:58 pm : link
watching Randy Moss in college i was positive he would transition to the NFL.
TTH: Are you doubting Coach Redís prescience?  
Big Blue Blogger : 8/17/2019 8:29 pm : link
I am sure he had a better read on Fournette than Tom Coughlin, on McFadden than Al Davis, on Bush than Mickey Loomis, on Brown than Randy Mueller, on Benson than Jerry Angelo, and on Williams than Bruce Allen. What have those guys ever done?
RE: RE: Iím curious about this:  
bw in dc : 8/17/2019 8:34 pm : link
In comment 14534411 81_Great_Dane said:
Quote:

Remember that Rice wasn't a top pick. 16th overall. Questions about his speed, lower level of competition, blah blah blah. But at the same time, I remember paying attention to that draft (may have even watched it on TV, if that was a thing then) and thinking that Rice to the 49ers was the rich getting richer. He was known to have huge upside.

He was a funny case. People knew he could be very good, but wasn't a considered a sure thing, and I don't remember anybody projecting him as a HOFer, never mind the GOAT at his position.


Rice struggled in his first year, too. He had a deserving reputation for big drops.
Didnít Rice beat us in the waning moments of the 4th  
Big Blue '56 : 8/17/2019 8:45 pm : link
on a TD pass from Montana in 1985 at the Meadowlands? He beat Mark Collins, iirc
BBí56: September 11, 1988  
Big Blue Blogger : 8/17/2019 9:20 pm : link
Collins wasnít here yet in 1985.
RE: BBí56: September 11, 1988  
Big Blue '56 : 8/18/2019 5:49 am : link
In comment 14534492 Big Blue Blogger said:
Quote:
Collins wasnít here yet in 1985.


Ok, thanks. I mostly recall the last minute killer play. Was that Collins who was beat? Or?
It was Collins...  
bw in dc : 8/18/2019 6:27 am : link
in Ď88. And then I think it was Kenny Hill who came over to help and collided with Collins...
Ed Reed and Derrick Brooks but  
Bobby Humphrey's Earpad : 8/18/2019 8:26 am : link
Darrelle Revis will be a great example where people knew he was the best CB in the draft and nothing Reese could do to get him.

The late Sean Taylor was also a guaranteed stud who likely would have been HOF with a full career.
RE: Ed Reed and Derrick Brooks but  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 8/18/2019 11:02 am : link
In comment 14534647 Bobby Humphrey's Earpad said:
Quote:
Darrelle Revis will be a great example where people knew he was the best CB in the draft and nothing Reese could do to get him.

The late Sean Taylor was also a guaranteed stud who likely would have been HOF with a full career.

Reese had a hubristic disdain for trading picks, except to trade up for Webb of course. I think he even stated so?

Man that was a big dropoff from Revis to Ross.
I never watched a lot of college ball  
steve in ky : 8/18/2019 11:05 am : link
But one guy I loved to watch and thought he was going to be better than he was (I know thatís not the question in this thread) was Archie Griffin. I guess maybe he was just a little to small for that era of the NFL, but he was awesome in college.
RE: RE: Terrell Suggs  
djm : 8/18/2019 11:41 am : link
In comment 14534075 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
In comment 14534067 djm said:


Quote:


He will be one day.

Russel Wilson. He will too, if he keeps this up.

Marshall Faulk (so did everyone else)

Eli Manning.

Peter Warrick ó lol



But the question my friend, is whether or not, for example, you thought Wilson was a good bet for the HOF coming out of college


I loved Wilson not long after the training camp reports started coming in from his first summer in Seattle. Liked him out of college, loved him once the glowing reports started to flow. Iíve owned him ever since in the BBI keeper FF league. HOF is always a bit of a leap but I was convinced early on that Wilson would be a legit player in this league.

RE: It was Collins...  
Jimmy Googs : 8/18/2019 1:25 pm : link
In comment 14534605 bw in dc said:
Quote:
in Ď88. And then I think it was Kenny Hill who came over to help and collided with Collins...


Yep, good memory. I was there that day.

To be fair, I recall Rice dropping a sure TD earlier in the game too
Collins wasn't beat  
Marty866b : 8/19/2019 12:24 am : link
Kenny Hill took the wrong angle to the ball and knocked Collins off his coverage. One of the worst losses in the 80's.
Orlando  
Les in TO : 8/19/2019 11:56 am : link
Pace
Earl Campbell  
giantstock : 8/23/2019 6:03 pm : link
beast.
I forgot Lee Roy Selmon too  
giantstock : 8/23/2019 6:17 pm : link
One player I regret injury took him down was Billy Sims.
Back to the Corner