Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Fantasy Football Keeper Debate - Settle it for me please

pjcas18 : 8/17/2019 5:23 pm
I am sick of hearing about it from the owners involved (neither of which is me) and I will try and type this to seem as neutral as possible, but emphasize the key words the people are debating. And we can all agree the wording of the rules sucks or not, but how would you decide this (and for the record, shit like this takes the fun out of fantasy football for me sometimes).

Rules state the following:

"All players drafted in an even round will have their draft value decrease by half each consecutive year that player is kept"

"If a player drafted in an odd round is kept more than once, his draft value will be cut in half then rounded either up or down to reach the closest even numbered round"

Player in question was DRAFTED (key word) in the 10th round. An even round.

He was kept originally for a 10th, then a 5th (half of 10), what round should the player cost in year 3?
Round up  
EricJ : 8/17/2019 5:28 pm : link
to 3

Whoever came up with these keeper rules is an idiot. Maybe you can recommend my keeper rules for next season...

1. You can keep as many players as you want.
2. You have to give up a draft pick one round better than where that player was drafted the previous year.
3. If a player was drafted in the 1st last year, then you give up a 1st and a 6th to keep him this year.
4. Any player who was not drafted by any team the previous year cannot be kept.
5. Anyone who picks up players from injured reserve at the end of the year for the purpose of keeping that player next year... will not be able to keep that player.
We have new keeper rules for next  
pjcas18 : 8/17/2019 5:33 pm : link
year that I like, but this year the debate rages on.
Easy,  
robbieballs2003 : 8/17/2019 5:34 pm : link
Since it is unclear then let the owner decide whether it is two or three. Then, clarify the rule for future reference.
RE: Easy,  
pjcas18 : 8/17/2019 5:35 pm : link
In comment 14534303 robbieballs2003 said:
Quote:
Since it is unclear then let the owner decide whether it is two or three. Then, clarify the rule for future reference.


Why would the owner select a 2? Obviously a 3rd is what the owner wants, since they'd still have their 2nd round pick if he cost a 3rd.

We have new rules for next year that I like.
RE: RE: Easy,  
robbieballs2003 : 8/17/2019 5:38 pm : link
In comment 14534304 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
In comment 14534303 robbieballs2003 said:


Quote:


Since it is unclear then let the owner decide whether it is two or three. Then, clarify the rule for future reference.



Why would the owner select a 2? Obviously a 3rd is what the owner wants, since they'd still have their 2nd round pick if he cost a 3rd.

We have new rules for next year that I like.


Well, what if they had multiple keepers and one player was clearly kept for a 3rd round pick? That is my thought process. I don't have enough info to the whole league hence why I said that. When it comes to rules we almost always side with the owner initially unless it is between two owners and/or we all knew the essence of the rule when it was made.
My league does it simple  
Saos1n : 8/17/2019 5:41 pm : link
If a player is kept one year, they give up the round in which he was drafted. If he is kept again, the following year, he is kept for a 3rd. Next year a 2nd. Next year a 1st.

So, anything later than the 3rd round, goes
1st year - Original
2nd year - 3rd
3rd year - 2nd
4th year - 1st
RE: My league does it simple  
pjcas18 : 8/17/2019 5:46 pm : link
In comment 14534311 Saos1n said:
Quote:
If a player is kept one year, they give up the round in which he was drafted. If he is kept again, the following year, he is kept for a 3rd. Next year a 2nd. Next year a 1st.

So, anything later than the 3rd round, goes
1st year - Original
2nd year - 3rd
3rd year - 2nd
4th year - 1st


We have new rules for next year. A lot of guys hated the keeper league completely so we have a good compromise I think.

Next year re-draft completely - fresh start. Keep 2 players. Only players drafted after round 4 can be kept. Can only keep a player for 2 years.

Year 1 you lose draft round, year 2 you lose a 4th. If both players drafted are in year 2 lost a 4th/5th.

I like it. Makes most of the best players available and still rewards teams savvy enough to draft keeper quality players late.

Doesn't help us this year though.
For the record  
pjcas18 : 8/17/2019 6:30 pm : link
my vote was a 3rd, but obviously you get in a situation like this and some assholes were voting for a 2nd because it clearly benefited them to have the keeper cost a 2nd for this owner.
Flip a coin  
SimpleMan : 8/17/2019 7:36 pm : link
and fix the stupid rule moving forward
RE: Flip a coin  
pjcas18 : 8/17/2019 7:46 pm : link
In comment 14534410 SimpleMan said:
Quote:
and fix the stupid rule moving forward


fair. I think two people have their heels dug on this, might be fairest approach.
just make it a 2nd  
Dankbeerman : 8/17/2019 8:35 pm : link
If its not worth it dont keep him.
RE: For the record  
Zepp : 8/18/2019 12:47 am : link
In comment 14534362 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
my vote was a 3rd, but obviously you get in a situation like this and some assholes were voting for a 2nd because it clearly benefited them to have the keeper cost a 2nd for this owner.


THats why you should never have league wide votes to decide a dispute between owners or to veto trades. No one ever trusts the intentions of the people voting. First have a detailed set of rules set up and vote on any changes in the offseason. Commissioner settles any disputes but the rules should be crystal clear going in so there shouldn't be any grey areas.

Also make the rules simple. Rules like that is just asking for trouble. Set a keeper number limit and end it. Keep them as long as you want.

To answer your question based on the rules it should be a 3. The rules spell it out. So anyone saying 2 is just being a dick.
RE: RE: For the record  
robbieballs2003 : 8/18/2019 3:57 am : link
In comment 14534577 Zepp said:
Quote:
In comment 14534362 pjcas18 said:


Quote:


my vote was a 3rd, but obviously you get in a situation like this and some assholes were voting for a 2nd because it clearly benefited them to have the keeper cost a 2nd for this owner.



THats why you should never have league wide votes to decide a dispute between owners or to veto trades. No one ever trusts the intentions of the people voting. First have a detailed set of rules set up and vote on any changes in the offseason. Commissioner settles any disputes but the rules should be crystal clear going in so there shouldn't be any grey areas.

Also make the rules simple. Rules like that is just asking for trouble. Set a keeper number limit and end it. Keep them as long as you want.

To answer your question based on the rules it should be a 3. The rules spell it out. So anyone saying 2 is just being a dick.


Zepp, I agree about the other owners being dicks but not sure it is clear it is a 3. The rules were made by some people really weak in math. The even numbered rounds make know sense because it sounds as if anytime an even numbee gets cut in half you always get an even number which isn't true. The odd round is the one that is more elaborate and trying to get back to an even number. After looking at the rule it should be round 2. It says round up or doen to the nearest even number. Half of 5 is 2.5. 2.5 is closer to 2 than to 4. There is an argument between 2 and 3 but the rule says even number hence why I said 2 and 4.
No sense  
robbieballs2003 : 8/18/2019 3:58 am : link
Not know sense
Since the value is round 2.5  
BH28 : 8/18/2019 4:09 am : link
Technically they could never be drafted in the second since the value is between rounds 2 and 3. So it's round 3.

Look at a round 1 keeper, divided in half is 0.5. There is no zero round so it would be rounded up to 1.

By the way, how could an odd round player ever be a number other than X.5? The round up/down thing makes no sense. Punch who ever wrote that in the dick.
RE: No sense  
pjcas18 : 8/18/2019 6:41 am : link
In comment 14534594 robbieballs2003 said:
Quote:
Not know sense


Robbie that was my initial interpretation and vote too, but the owner has a point I guess in that the rule is written as "original draft round" not prior keeper round and the player in question was initially a 10th.

"All players drafted in an even round will have their draft value decrease by half each consecutive year that player is kept"

I think the author just figured even numbers when divided in half will always be even. It only works (with 16 round draft) with 16, 8, 4, and 2.

6, 10 and 12 all halve eventually to odd numbers - presenting the situation we're in.
RE: RE: No sense  
robbieballs2003 : 8/18/2019 8:45 am : link
In comment 14534611 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
In comment 14534594 robbieballs2003 said:


Quote:


Not know sense



Robbie that was my initial interpretation and vote too, but the owner has a point I guess in that the rule is written as "original draft round" not prior keeper round and the player in question was initially a 10th.

"All players drafted in an even round will have their draft value decrease by half each consecutive year that player is kept"

I think the author just figured even numbers when divided in half will always be even. It only works (with 16 round draft) with 16, 8, 4, and 2.

6, 10 and 12 all halve eventually to odd numbers - presenting the situation we're in.


Yeah, it is such a ridiculous rule. Haha. That is why I said earlier I would just say round 3 and tell everybody else to fuck off. I agree with Zepp that the owners making a big stink of round 2 sound like assholes. There was a glitch in the system so to say so give the owner the benefit of the doubt. With the way it is written both sides have a point but that is all as neither is clear. When I first read it I thought the odd number rule was the bigger problem. When I came back a couple of hours later I realized that the odd number rule was actually way clearer than the even number rule.
Back to the Corner