Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Sy'56's Monday Training Camp Report

Eric from BBI : Admin : 8/19/2019 4:14 pm
FYI...


August 19, 2019 BBI New York Giants Training Camp Report - ( New Window )
It's like a never ending nightmare  
arniefez : 8/19/2019 4:25 pm : link
Quote:
–Markus Golden and Dalvin Tomlinson were sent into coverage a couple times via the zone-blitz. The latter, I mean what can you expect from a 310 pound DT? Golden, however, looked just as uncomfortable. Burned as badly as one can be burned on a short slant route by Evan Engram.


is being an idiot a prerequisite to coach in the NFL? How do HC's & DC's still run this idiotic scheme and how do HC's let their DC's rush 3 guys at the end of games? With all the film these guys watch? And don't tell me because it works. Because any of us who watch often have seen it works about 10% of the time at best and only against the QBs you don't have to run it to stop anyway.
I don't understand why this is lost on so many  
Lurts : 8/19/2019 4:36 pm : link
He really has a different look about him and I will go to my grave saying it stems from the OL. The physical and mental impact that has on a QB cannot be overlooked.

I think Eli will have a fine year.
RE: I don't understand why this is lost on so many  
BBelle21 : 8/19/2019 5:02 pm : link
In comment 14536129 Lurts said:
Quote:
He really has a different look about him and I will go to my grave saying it stems from the OL. The physical and mental impact that has on a QB cannot be overlooked.

I think Eli will have a fine year.


Agree with you. I’m not sure it’s lost on many. It simply weakens the QB controversy narrative. Shurmur is probably excited about the offense headed by Eli and this rebuilt Oline. And the ups and downs from Daniel Jones are natural for a rookie QB. I imagine he’ll continue to grow and do well.

Thank you, Sy. Your reports are always the best part of coming here.
Can Big George  
XBRONX : 8/19/2019 5:05 pm : link
be put onn IR even though he might come out of concussion protocol in weeks? Must be serious. Who was the safety who was in protocol almost all year?
RE: Can Big George  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 8/19/2019 5:06 pm : link
In comment 14536157 XBRONX said:
Quote:
be put onn IR even though he might come out of concussion protocol in weeks? Must be serious. Who was the safety who was in protocol almost all year?


I think there was one Giant a few years ago who was in the protocol a long time (can't remember who), but this is definitely one of the longest that I can remember.
Just remembered  
XBRONX : 8/19/2019 5:16 pm : link
How long was Nat Berhe in concussion protocol during the season?
RE: RE: Can Big George  
section125 : 8/19/2019 5:18 pm : link
In comment 14536160 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
In comment 14536157 XBRONX said:


Quote:


be put onn IR even though he might come out of concussion protocol in weeks? Must be serious. Who was the safety who was in protocol almost all year?



I think there was one Giant a few years ago who was in the protocol a long time (can't remember who), but this is definitely one of the longest that I can remember.


FWIW, Clint Frazier on the Yanks had a very long concussion protocol..couple months at least maybe a touch longer and his looked very innocuous.
RE: Just remembered  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 8/19/2019 5:26 pm : link
In comment 14536164 XBRONX said:
Quote:
How long was Nat Berhe in concussion protocol during the season?


That's it!
Hope can see Slayton play this week  
12aob : 8/19/2019 9:11 pm : link
.
Great  
AcidTest : 8/19/2019 9:35 pm : link
report. Thanks.
Thanks Sy  
gidiefor : Mod : 8/19/2019 10:10 pm : link
for the continuing education!!
RE: RE: I don't understand why this is lost on so many  
Dave in Hoboken : 8/19/2019 10:41 pm : link
In comment 14536153 BBelle21 said:
Quote:
In comment 14536129 Lurts said:


Quote:


He really has a different look about him and I will go to my grave saying it stems from the OL. The physical and mental impact that has on a QB cannot be overlooked.

I think Eli will have a fine year.



Agree with you. I’m not sure it’s lost on many. It simply weakens the QB controversy narrative. Shurmur is probably excited about the offense headed by Eli and this rebuilt Oline. And the ups and downs from Daniel Jones are natural for a rookie QB. I imagine he’ll continue to grow and do well.

Thank you, Sy. Your reports are always the best part of coming here.


Many more ups than downs thus far.
Is it concerning that Jones has a good deal of ups and downs  
BestFeature : 8/19/2019 11:43 pm : link
in camp? I'd rather he play well in a game but that's a smaller sample size.
Thank you for pointing out that Eli with an OL,  
George from PA : 8/20/2019 4:28 am : link
With a clean pocket, with trust that the play wont imediately break down.....has Eli looking a little different.

Something most of us so called Eli oppologist have been saying for 8/9 years.

Without OL, Eli can not function, could not function. Hell, the newest, shiniest toy, kyler murray, who actually can move, cant either.....Tom Brady couldnt either.

A decent, professional OL is the foundation of any offense.
Am I reading too much into this?  
Moondawg : 8/20/2019 8:15 am : link
Quote:
He played both S and CB today and I was impressed with the physical package he brought to the table. He was beat off the ball a couple times because of poor footwork but he recovered well.
RE: Is it concerning that Jones has a good deal of ups and downs  
giants#1 : 8/20/2019 9:30 am : link
In comment 14536389 BestFeature said:
Quote:
in camp? I'd rather he play well in a game but that's a smaller sample size.


What player, let alone rookie, doesn't have ups and downs in camp?

And it's a good thing if you're not seeing the bad things in the games, albeit much less meaningful in preseason. That's a sign of good coaching/playcalling and putting the players in a position to succeed. Maximize their strengths and hide their weaknesses as much as possible.
RE: Is it concerning that Jones has a good deal of ups and downs  
section125 : 8/20/2019 9:37 am : link
In comment 14536389 BestFeature said:
Quote:
in camp? I'd rather he play well in a game but that's a smaller sample size.


Depends on what causes the ups and downs. They are still teaching him a lot of things. So it is a lot to learn and implement. If changes in technique cause a bit of confusion he'll be up and down.
Good news is he looks good in games and Sy saying Eli looks really good and his arm is better.
RE: It's like a never ending nightmare  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 8/20/2019 10:47 am : link
In comment 14536117 arniefez said:
Quote:


Quote:


–Markus Golden and Dalvin Tomlinson were sent into coverage a couple times via the zone-blitz. The latter, I mean what can you expect from a 310 pound DT? Golden, however, looked just as uncomfortable. Burned as badly as one can be burned on a short slant route by Evan Engram.



is being an idiot a prerequisite to coach in the NFL? How do HC's & DC's still run this idiotic scheme and how do HC's let their DC's rush 3 guys at the end of games? With all the film these guys watch? And don't tell me because it works. Because any of us who watch often have seen it works about 10% of the time at best and only against the QBs you don't have to run it to stop anyway.

I fastidiously remove all the DL dropping into coverage zone blitzes out of my play book in Madden. On the surface, it's a garbage play, you're essentially trading off a LB capable of a pick 6 for a DL in coverage. Who knows, maybe you trick a qb like Sanchez, or thr OL, but yeah not sure how it even mess us up a read.
RE: RE: Is it concerning that Jones has a good deal of ups and downs  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 8/20/2019 10:53 am : link
In comment 14536491 giants#1 said:
Quote:
In comment 14536389 BestFeature said:


Quote:


in camp? I'd rather he play well in a game but that's a smaller sample size.



What player, let alone rookie, doesn't have ups and downs in camp?

And it's a good thing if you're not seeing the bad things in the games, albeit much less meaningful in preseason. That's a sign of good coaching/playcalling and putting the players in a position to succeed. Maximize their strengths and hide their weaknesses as much as possible.

Elis been flawless this offseason. I assume that is not always the case, we usually don't keep as a close of an eye on qb play in practice. And Eli often looked like burning garbage in preseason games for a long time.
RE: Thank you for pointing out that Eli with an OL,  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 8/20/2019 10:59 am : link
In comment 14536402 George from PA said:
Quote:
With a clean pocket, with trust that the play wont imediately break down.....has Eli looking a little different.

Something most of us so called Eli oppologist have been saying for 8/9 years.

Without OL, Eli can not function, could not function. Hell, the newest, shiniest toy, kyler murray, who actually can move, cant either.....Tom Brady couldnt either.

A decent, professional OL is the foundation of any offense.

GREEN BAY MODEL! Throw in WRs who can win contested catches and break arm tackles.
RE: Thank you for pointing out that Eli with an OL,  
BBelle21 : 8/20/2019 12:40 pm : link
In comment 14536402 George from PA said:
Quote:
With a clean pocket, with trust that the play wont imediately break down.....has Eli looking a little different.

Something most of us so called Eli oppologist have been saying for 8/9 years.

Without OL, Eli can not function, could not function. Hell, the newest, shiniest toy, kyler murray, who actually can move, cant either.....Tom Brady couldnt either.

A decent, professional OL is the foundation of any offense.


+10000 👏

McAdoo’s stupidity about dirty pockets, Reese’s hubris and Marc Ross’s lazy incompetence are all so clear now. DG was able to improve the Oline in a couple of seasons. Not only will Eli come back to form, but Barkley will be even better and Daniel Jones will get the support he needs for the future.
Sy, in another report, comparing Remmers  
BBelle21 : 8/20/2019 12:43 pm : link
in attitude to Rich Seubert was also awesome and a great sign
Back to the Corner