Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

I like all of this negativity towards the Giants.....

Britt in VA : 8/20/2019 1:11 pm
Been a while since they've gotten dragged through the mud and piled on like this.

Not that they haven't deserved it in the past couple of years, but we've been so bad it just felt like people didn't care.... But something has awoken in the national spotlight aspect, just the sheer animosity from the media, talking heads, fans, etc.... The vitriol towards the franchise, ownership, management, and now the players.... It's excessive, I think. And I like it.

Good team building exercise. Us against the world. I like it when the Giants play like that. Coughlin used to be a master of motivation with that stuff. Parcells too. Hopefully Shurmur can use some of this stuff to light a fire.

And yeah, I know the usual suspects will jump on this thread and say "you think these guys care about that stuff? Culture and lockerroom is bullshit, etc...."

Yeah, I do believe it matters, and I do believe they are taking note.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 | Show All |  Next>>
Would be awfully fun to shove a big shit-sandwich in  
j_rud : 8/20/2019 1:12 pm : link
a lot of peoples faces...
RE: Would be awfully fun to shove a big shit-sandwich in  
Britt in VA : 8/20/2019 1:16 pm : link
In comment 14536911 j_rud said:
Quote:
a lot of peoples faces...


I think it's coming.

What's funny is, people have gone so over the top there's no backtracking. There have been so many over the top definitive statements on what the Giants (general) are or aren't, that there's going to be no explaining it away. The line in the sand has been drawn. The expectation is that we're awful and going to continue to be awful.

We'll see.
Agree  
Thegratefulhead : 8/20/2019 1:17 pm : link
Rally round the family...pocket fulla shells.
Yeah, that's not what Parcells would actually do  
Greg from LI : 8/20/2019 1:18 pm : link
Parcells didn't use the media - he did it himself. He was the one who insulted the players, challenged them, told them they weren't good enough.
Good post.  
TMS : 8/20/2019 1:21 pm : link
There is a positive vibe about this team we have not seen for 5/6 years. Great job by the new management staff so far. Enthusiasim in the locker room, good stuff.
RE: Yeah, that's not what Parcells would actually do  
micky : 8/20/2019 1:23 pm : link
In comment 14536926 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
Parcells didn't use the media - he did it himself. He was the one who insulted the players, challenged them, told them they weren't good enough.


+1000000000
I think it's funny  
USAF NYG Fan : 8/20/2019 1:23 pm : link
especially coming from certain Browns' players. It gives me joy to know there is a Giants' flag firmly planted in OBJ's and Mayfield's brain. They are not even a conference rival much less a division rival. How distracting it must be.
RE: Yeah, that's not what Parcells would actually do  
Britt in VA : 8/20/2019 1:25 pm : link
In comment 14536926 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
Parcells didn't use the media - he did it himself. He was the one who insulted the players, challenged them, told them they weren't good enough.


Okay that's fair. My point is just there is something here to work with and I'd like to see it used to motivate the players to play with a little fire and sense of purpose.
Yeah, the last time the Giants got dragged through the mud was . . . .  
TC : 8/20/2019 1:27 pm : link
last season! ;-)

But seriously, I like it too! The Giants have always been lousy front runners.

If I had to guess, this club is somewhere between a 7 & 9, and a 9 & 7 team. But anything could happen. They have some talent, some depth and fewer hot dogs. All good things.

For one thing, I think in general there's an anti NY sentiment  
Poktown Pete : 8/20/2019 1:27 pm : link
around the country. I grew up in NY (have lived both in the city and the state) and I learned a long time ago when traveling, try not to advertise you're from NY. There's an anti NY bias out there. Is it deserved?

As far as our beloved Giants go, well, they have smelled pretty badly these past several years. Thinking back to when they won their last 2 SB's however, public opinion was generally negative even then.

Low expectations are good for the team. I kind of feel this team is similar to the 1984 Giants, a team that was turning the corner and getting stronger. The Giants may have more losses than we'd like this year, but I expect them to be very competitive and that they will finish the year as a team no one with playoff hopes wants to face. Shit sandwiches all around!
RE: RE: Would be awfully fun to shove a big shit-sandwich in  
j_rud : 8/20/2019 1:36 pm : link
In comment 14536920 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
In comment 14536911 j_rud said:


Quote:


a lot of peoples faces...



I think it's coming.

What's funny is, people have gone so over the top there's no backtracking. There have been so many over the top definitive statements on what the Giants (general) are or aren't, that there's going to be no explaining it away. The line in the sand has been drawn. The expectation is that we're awful and going to continue to be awful.

We'll see.


I do to. Not that theyre going to be dominant or anything like that. I think they're going to be a middle of the road team that can lay one on you if you look past them.
Media  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 8/20/2019 1:38 pm : link
overkill.
There IS an anti-Giant bias!  
TC : 8/20/2019 1:38 pm : link
The two best known NFL clubs are Dallas and the Giants. And everybody gets to hate NYC. They're like the bad guys in the WWE. Except it's better, as they're often not very good.

Why should sports writers make their job harder by not just regurgitating anti-Giant screed and actually having to do sports journalism?

And why do we keep paying attention to it!? ;-)
I don't know  
ron mexico : 8/20/2019 1:41 pm : link
I think we have been getting shat on for a while now. It feels like a long time to me
Its Not As If  
lax counsel : 8/20/2019 1:52 pm : link
It isn't well deserved. There isn't a media conspiracy against the Giants or extraordinary scrutiny. Fact is, they have been one of the worst teams and organizations in football since the second half of 2012. Worse than that, they have produced some very unlikeable teams and players.

I hope more than anyone the Giants turn it around and DJ is a top 5-10 NFL qb for the next decade plus. The arrow seems pointed up. But until the Giants start producing consistent, tangible results on the field and their organizational decisions mirror those results, the media narrative won't change.
...  
christian : 8/20/2019 1:56 pm : link
Lol are you kidding? It's been a while since there has been negativity in the coverage and expectations for this team?
You didn't read my post.  
Britt in VA : 8/20/2019 2:00 pm : link
Now you'll go back and read it, see that I addressed that, and make another statement qualifying your earlier one that my post must be joking. And that's okay.
The funny  
Les in TO : 8/20/2019 2:14 pm : link
Thing is if you read the GQ article, the underdog/prove the haters wrong mentality is exactly what fuels BBI whipping boy Baker Mayfield.
RE: The funny  
Britt in VA : 8/20/2019 2:18 pm : link
In comment 14537018 Les in TO said:
Quote:
Thing is if you read the GQ article, the underdog/prove the haters wrong mentality is exactly what fuels BBI whipping boy Baker Mayfield.


If our guys were attacking other players/management in the league, then it might be similar. Baker Mayfield isn't proving the haters wrong, he's providing the hating.
If I was in Cleveland  
gidiefor : Mod : 8/20/2019 2:24 pm : link
I would feel inferior and be mad at everybody who made me feel that way too
Me too Britt.  
mittenedman : 8/20/2019 2:26 pm : link
It's time to whoop some ass.
RE: If I was in Cleveland  
ron mexico : 8/20/2019 2:27 pm : link
In comment 14537045 gidiefor said:
Quote:
I would feel inferior and be mad at everybody who made me feel that way too


I think they actually like it. They lean into the factory of sadness and QB turnstile stuff.

And of course, the famous hastily made Cleveland tourism video
hastily made Cleveland tourism video - ( New Window )
Let's call it....  
Tesla : 8/20/2019 2:29 pm : link
The Eli Manning Revenge Tour (2019 version).
Call it whatever you want.  
Britt in VA : 8/20/2019 2:31 pm : link
And yeah, Manning is still the QB. He wasn't traded or cut. Still here.
I agree the negativity by all media is excessive..  
prdave73 : 8/20/2019 2:41 pm : link
It has been for awhile now. There seems to be this hatred towards the Giants I canít fully understand? Nevertheless Iím good with it as well, the only bad thing is I donít see Shurmur using this like Coughlin did in the past. A good coach can turn this into a positive thing, and use this to fuel the fire in this team. We shall see..
Can all this negativity rush the other teams QB?  
arniefez : 8/20/2019 3:30 pm : link
But if it can't the Giants are going to be terrible again.
RE: Yeah, that's not what Parcells would actually do  
djstat : 8/20/2019 3:34 pm : link
In comment 14536926 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
Parcells didn't use the media - he did it himself. He was the one who insulted the players, challenged them, told them they weren't good enough.
Great. We are stuck on a method that left on May 15, 1991. It has been 28 years. Time to move on
Why would you expect the media to embrace a team  
Ten Ton Hammer : 8/20/2019 3:40 pm : link
That's been terrible for 5 of 6 years?

Why even care what the media thinks? As much as people here whine about the media as BBI Enemy #1, there sure is a ton of emphasis on listening to what they have to say and talking about it every single day.
Britt in VA...  
M.S. : 8/20/2019 3:48 pm : link

...your words:

"but we've been so bad it just felt like people didn't care.... But something has awoken in the national spotlight aspect, just the sheer animosity from the media, talking heads, fans, etc."

I'm pretty sure the turning point was when we traded OBJ and then solidified when we drafted Daniel Jones.
RE: I agree the negativity by all media is excessive..  
bw in dc : 8/20/2019 3:51 pm : link
In comment 14537089 prdave73 said:
Quote:
It has been for awhile now. There seems to be this hatred towards the Giants I canít fully understand? Nevertheless Iím good with it as well, the only bad thing is I donít see Shurmur using this like Coughlin did in the past. A good coach can turn this into a positive thing, and use this to fuel the fire in this team. We shall see..


Excessive? No. It's been richly deserved.

From the OBJ non-stop jerk-off show, the Mara-Manning-McAdoo saga, the Coughlin drama, the 4th quarter meltdowns, the phony GM search, the poor drafts...and on and on and on.

Sorry, but the Giants have been sitting ducks for the negative coverage because they have been a disaster.
RE: You didn't read my post.  
christian : 8/20/2019 3:58 pm : link
In comment 14536992 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
Now you'll go back and read it, see that I addressed that, and make another statement qualifying your earlier one that my post must be joking. And that's okay.


I read your post quite well the first time -- and I think it's funny you think the media's reaction is any more severe this offseason than it was when Coughlin was fired, when Manning was benched, or when McAdoo and Reese were fired.

The media and the perception of this team has been pointed and severe for most of at least the last 4 seasons.

The Giants were briefly out of the cross hairs when they went on that nice run in the Fall of 2016, and then right back in it when they fell ass flat in the playoffs and all anyone cared about was a topless shot of the receivers.

If anything the Giants have some bright spots in coverage -- Barkley is near universally praised in the media, Jones has garnered good headlines in the pre season.
RE: RE: I agree the negativity by all media is excessive..  
Rong5611 : 8/20/2019 4:11 pm : link
Nicely said. You are right.

The team hasn't really done anything yet, they have deserved what they are getting right now. The last few years have sucked, except when we made the run in 2016.

A couple of pre-season wins doesn't make this team a contender for a playoff berth.

They do appear to be moving in the right direction. It appears the last 2 draft classes have been good. They turned over the roster, which was needed.

They need to PROVE IT with an improved regular season performance. Not expecting to make the playoffs, but would love to watch one more run with #10. You never know.

Just improve, be competitive and get the young QB some games if they fall out of contention (I think this could happen quicker than we think if they start slow).

Set up the duck for '20. Next year could be huge, we will have $55 million of cap space...



In comment 14537204 bw in dc said:
Quote:
In comment 14537089 prdave73 said:


Quote:


It has been for awhile now. There seems to be this hatred towards the Giants I canít fully understand? Nevertheless Iím good with it as well, the only bad thing is I donít see Shurmur using this like Coughlin did in the past. A good coach can turn this into a positive thing, and use this to fuel the fire in this team. We shall see..



Excessive? No. It's been richly deserved.

From the OBJ non-stop jerk-off show, the Mara-Manning-McAdoo saga, the Coughlin drama, the 4th quarter meltdowns, the phony GM search, the poor drafts...and on and on and on.

Sorry, but the Giants have been sitting ducks for the negative coverage because they have been a disaster.
The negativity seemed to start  
BSIMatt : 8/20/2019 9:48 pm : link
With Giants putting their faith in Eli, passing on a QB and taking Barkley. Everyone second guessed the Giants. Then they trade Beckham, and gasp draft Daniel Jones and theyíve been going against the grain..and repeatedly taking heat every step of the way. The thing is, theyíve gotten rid of a lot of older, overpaid vets and gone with a full blown youth movement and Barkley somehow was even better than could be expected...truly looking like a hall of fame caliber talent his first year. Now you have this second draft class coming in and looking special from top to bottom...they are going to be relying on a lot of young players but the early returns on those players is nothing but promising..itís hard not to be optimistic about the young players but itís also hard to know how much 1st and 2nd year growing pains will cost the Giants as these players acclimate. I think how competitive they are comes down to the strides the defense can make in year 2 of Bettchers system. Iím hopeful.
RE: Agree  
djm : 8/20/2019 9:53 pm : link
In comment 14536922 Thegratefulhead said:
Quote:
Rally round the family...pocket fulla shells.


Ftw
RE: RE: I agree the negativity by all media is excessive..  
djm : 8/20/2019 9:57 pm : link
In comment 14537204 bw in dc said:
Quote:
In comment 14537089 prdave73 said:


Quote:


It has been for awhile now. There seems to be this hatred towards the Giants I canít fully understand? Nevertheless Iím good with it as well, the only bad thing is I donít see Shurmur using this like Coughlin did in the past. A good coach can turn this into a positive thing, and use this to fuel the fire in this team. We shall see..



Excessive? No. It's been richly deserved.

From the OBJ non-stop jerk-off show, the Mara-Manning-McAdoo saga, the Coughlin drama, the 4th quarter meltdowns, the phony GM search, the poor drafts...and on and on and on.

Sorry, but the Giants have been sitting ducks for the negative coverage because they have been a disaster.


You missed the point.
Considering..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 8/20/2019 10:01 pm : link
this happens every year - it isn't out oft he realm:

Quote:
Why would you expect the media to embrace a team
Ten Ton Hammer : 3:40 pm : link : reply
That's been terrible for 5 of 6 years?


The Media often embraces teams that have been bad thinking they'd finally be consistently good.

They've embraced the Browns this year. The Jags last year. The Raiders two years ago. They almost always latch onto a team based on potential and prop them up before they've ever done a damn thing.

Heck, the Jets are getting a lot of love this year too. For years, they kept saying the Cardinals were going to break through. There's consistently been a lot of preseason optimism for the Lions under Stafford.

It isn't like the Media never does this.
Some of you need to remember how other teams are covered  
djm : 8/20/2019 10:04 pm : link
Or portrayed overall.

Are you guys really going to dispute the claim that if a team like the BRONCOS traded up for jones or took jones top 10 that it gets this same heat? Cmon now. Donít play dumb.

Did the Niners get this same heat when they let Terrell Owens walk for nothing??? What about Philly? Shit, what about the Steelers RIGHT NOW??? Are they getting crushed for letting brown go for pennies on the dollar? But the giants.... oh no.... release the hounds! Meanwhile, those same giants got four times the capital in return that Pitt got, but the giants are dysfunctional. And donít even get me going on the jones pick and subsequent scrutiny, which has been downright historical in its hilarity.
The media seems to forget the Giants  
mfsd : 8/20/2019 10:06 pm : link
went for total regime change a year and a half ago. The Giants have sucked for 6 years bc the Reese/Ross/McAdoo "brain trust" failed, and they got canned.

The negativity from media and a lot of fans isn't just because the Giants have sucked. It's because Gettleman doesn't bother sucking up to them, so they don't like them.
RE: The media seems to forget the Giants  
Britt in VA : 8/20/2019 10:09 pm : link
In comment 14537610 mfsd said:
Quote:
went for total regime change a year and a half ago. The Giants have sucked for 6 years bc the Reese/Ross/McAdoo "brain trust" failed, and they got canned.

The negativity from media and a lot of fans isn't just because the Giants have sucked. It's because Gettleman doesn't bother sucking up to them, so they don't like them.


Fans too. We had a poster here the other day openly admit that he ďhatesĒ Gettleman. Why?
Hell..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 8/20/2019 10:09 pm : link
the Niners paid a King's rensom for Jimmy Garoppolo and you'd have thought they bought themselves a SB ring.

Come to think of it, the Media had some pretty stout predictions for SF going into last season.
I mean cmon  
djm : 8/20/2019 10:10 pm : link
The Daniel jones backlash early on was so insanely over the top, you would have thought the giants drafted a janitor that night. Mere fact that jones has already made real life sports writers look so dumb so soon simply by displaying legit NFL talents in summer practices speaks volumes. It was a perfect storm of events that led to the Daniel jones pick 6 hysterics but it was most definitely out of line and flat out wrong. No matter how good or bad jones ends up being.

Just remember guys, the giants are dysfunctional because they drafted Daniel jones.
RE: I mean cmon  
Britt in VA : 8/20/2019 10:11 pm : link
In comment 14537613 djm said:
Quote:
The Daniel jones backlash early on was so insanely over the top, you would have thought the giants drafted a janitor that night. Mere fact that jones has already made real life sports writers look so dumb so soon simply by displaying legit NFL talents in summer practices speaks volumes. It was a perfect storm of events that led to the Daniel jones pick 6 hysterics but it was most definitely out of line and flat out wrong. No matter how good or bad jones ends up being.

Just remember guys, the giants are dysfunctional because they drafted Daniel jones.


And racist, according to Cris Carter. That one sums up how ridiculous it has gotten.
RE: Hell..  
Zeke's Alibi : 8/20/2019 10:12 pm : link
In comment 14537612 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
the Niners paid a King's rensom for Jimmy Garoppolo and you'd have thought they bought themselves a SB ring.

Come to think of it, the Media had some pretty stout predictions for SF going into last season.


Its such an interesting one. All over Jimmy G last year, plays all of 2.5 games now the narrative seems to be he sucks and is massively overpaid.
Big Bill is the one  
Mendenhall64 : 8/20/2019 10:13 pm : link
who scared the hell out of Jim Burt. The media had nothing to do with it.
Gettleman..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 8/20/2019 10:14 pm : link
brings out some really interesting trolls as well as the pack of contrarians.

It is one thing to disagree with some of his moves, especially some FA signings, but there have been posters who have literally said he gets no credit whatsoever. His really solid career gets very little respect. His time in Carolina gets shit on.

And he provokes some bizarre and terrible takes. One guy has been calling him DSG, for Dave Shithead Gettleman, since the day he was hired. Multiple posters say the hate the man. Not dislike him - but HATE him.

You'd swear that Gettleman is multitudes worse than Reese the way he's dragged around here.
Hot takes + lemmings = cash  
Britt in VA : 8/20/2019 10:14 pm : link
Sports journalism 2019
RE: Hell..  
Jay on the Island : 8/20/2019 10:14 pm : link
In comment 14537612 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
the Niners paid a King's rensom for Jimmy Garoppolo and you'd have thought they bought themselves a SB ring.

Come to think of it, the Media had some pretty stout predictions for SF going into last season.

I was just going to bring up SF and Garoppolo. The media was busy crowning SF for making Garoppolo one of the highest paid QBís in NFL history despite starting only 7 games in his career.
The jets bought themselves SO much street cred  
djm : 8/20/2019 10:18 pm : link
Just because they drafted Sam darnold. Think about that for a second then think back to the giants with Eli in 2004-2005. The giants gave up too much and Eli wasnít Peyton then he wasnít any good then he couldnít win on the road then he was garbage again. Only when Eli won a ring did he get respect.

Sam. Darnold. The jets are finally back. Finally got their FRANCHISE QB!! No talk of what the jets traded up for darnold, and make mistake darnold did indeed have flaws coming out of USC. But the jets are functional. Giants are a joke. Or are they? Havenít we been here before? Remember when the giants made the list for worst trades (Eli for the picks) all time on nfl network? Good times.
RE: Gettleman..  
ron mexico : 8/20/2019 10:20 pm : link
In comment 14537617 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
brings out some really interesting trolls as well as the pack of contrarians.

It is one thing to disagree with some of his moves, especially some FA signings, but there have been posters who have literally said he gets no credit whatsoever. His really solid career gets very little respect. His time in Carolina gets shit on.

And he provokes some bizarre and terrible takes. One guy has been calling him DSG, for Dave Shithead Gettleman, since the day he was hired. Multiple posters say the hate the man. Not dislike him - but HATE him.

You'd swear that Gettleman is multitudes worse than Reese the way he's dragged around here.


At this point he certainly is not better than Reese
the Giants  
MookGiants : 8/20/2019 10:21 pm : link
have done plenty to give the media/other teams ammo to make fun of them, the team has sucked for a while now.

That will change quickly though if Jones is a stud. Giants will have the last laugh if thats the case
Pages: 1 2 3 4 | Show All |  Next>>
Back to the Corner