Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

USA Today: 3 best players of every franchise ever

Big Blue '56 : 9/5/2019 8:34 am
I’ll just list the NFC East and provide the lonk for every other team. Feel free to opine on the choices.

Cowboys

1-Roger Staubach, QB

2-Emmitt Smith, RB

3-Tony Dorsett, RB


Eagles

1-Reggie White, DE

2-Chuck Bednarik, C/LB

3-Brian Dawkins, S


Washington


1-Darrell Green, CB

2-Chris Hanburger, LB

3-Charley Taylor, WR


Giants


1-LT

2-Emlen Tunnell, S

3-Rosey Brown, OT

Link - ( New Window )
They also provide a link for each team’s  
Big Blue '56 : 9/5/2019 8:36 am : link
“rest of the greatest players.”
I didn't get to see Emlen and Rosie  
Jim in Forest Hills : 9/5/2019 8:44 am : link
but they are above Eli?
Emmett Smith  
gmenatlarge : 9/5/2019 8:46 am : link
most overrated RB ever, truly a product of his O-line, he gained five yards before being touched on most running plays.
I would rate Randy White, Bob Lilly or Chuck Howley ahead of him.
I think people need to understand that non giants fans  
bhill410 : 9/5/2019 9:05 am : link
Do not, nor have ever, thought that highly of Eli. If Reese didn’t stink on ice and was able to put a team around him in 2012-2015 perhaps that would be different, but reality is he will be looked at as good not great.
Harry Carson!!!!!!!  
WideRight : 9/5/2019 9:12 am : link
8 time All-Pro and HOF middle linebacker.

Number two behind LT
RE: Harry Carson!!!!!!!  
Big Rick in FL : 9/5/2019 9:24 am : link
In comment 14559207 WideRight said:
Quote:
8 time All-Pro and HOF middle linebacker.

Number two behind LT


Carson was a 6 time All-Pro. Only two of them were 1st team.

Tunnell was a 6 time 1st team All-Pro.

Brown was also a 6 time 1st team All-Pro. He was also a 3 time 2nd team All-Pro.
I think those 3 are fair  
PatersonPlank : 9/5/2019 9:29 am : link
I know most/all here never watched Tunnell or even Grier, but its hard to say this is wrong. There are a number of great players who could also be in there (Gifford, Y.A., etc.) but its hard to argue with these two.
RE: I think those 3 are fair  
Mad Mike : 9/5/2019 9:31 am : link
In comment 14559235 PatersonPlank said:
Quote:
I know most/all here never watched Tunnell or even Grier, but its hard to say this is wrong.

Grier was a great player, but probably doesn't crack the Giants top 3.
RE: I didn't get to see Emlen and Rosie  
x meadowlander : 9/5/2019 9:37 am : link
In comment 14559157 Jim in Forest Hills said:
Quote:
but they are above Eli?
Yeah - those 2 are in running for GOAT at their respective positions.

If Eli had been better supporting casts through his career, I imagine he'd be in that short list.

My Thoughts Were  
Trainmaster : 9/5/2019 9:46 am : link
1 LT
2 Strahan
3 Gifford
Rosey  
McNally's_Nuts : 9/5/2019 9:48 am : link
Brown might have been the best draft “steal” of all time. He was a 27th rounder!!
RE: Rosey  
Big Blue '56 : 9/5/2019 9:55 am : link
In comment 14559282 McNally's_Nuts said:
Quote:
Brown might have been the best draft “steal” of all time. He was a 27th rounder!!


There have been a bunch of great OLTs through the years, so I’m not going to minimize their greatness. That said, Rosy Brown and Jim Parker of the Colts (same era) were the two best OLTs I ever saw.
Jonas Seawright  
Dnew15 : 9/5/2019 9:55 am : link
is strangely missing from this list?
RE: Jonas Seawright  
Big Blue '56 : 9/5/2019 9:57 am : link
In comment 14559303 Dnew15 said:
Quote:
is strangely missing from this list?


You need to click on the rest of the best link. He’s 4th
You can  
Les in TO : 9/5/2019 10:00 am : link
Make a case for Nate Newton or Larry Allen for the cowboys.
RE: Emmett Smith  
Tuckrule : 9/5/2019 10:01 am : link
In comment 14559161 gmenatlarge said:
Quote:
most overrated RB ever, truly a product of his O-line, he gained five yards before being touched on most running plays.
I would rate Randy White, Bob Lilly or Chuck Howley ahead of him.


Sounds like zeke
I'd go with LT, Eli and Huff for the Giants. If Barkley stays healthy,  
Ira : 9/5/2019 10:22 am : link
he'll take over Huff's spot. I think Flozell deserves some consideration for the Boys as does Witten.
How in the world does anyone list the supposed top three Redskins  
truebluelarry : 9/5/2019 10:36 am : link
and not include Sammy Baugh?

How do the Cowboys have two RBs but no Bob Lilly?

Steve Van Buren is 1A alongside Bednarik for the Eagles.

The top 3 Giants are actually not bad. I could argue about Mel Hein not being there, but LT, Brown & Tunnell are all solid choices.

Eli may not even make the HOF.  
RDJR : 9/5/2019 10:39 am : link
Surely, other Giants hall of famers would merit the top 3 before Eli.
I think the Redskins' list is way off  
allstarjim : 9/5/2019 10:43 am : link
Sammy Baugh HAS to be on there. Helped revolutionize the game.

Russ Grimm...when you think of the Redskins, you think of the Hogs...the best among them was Grimm.

Those two have to be on it.

As far as Darrell Green, he was a good corner for a VERY long time and was extremely fast, but he wasn't one of the game's best corners during his time. He was a very good corner, not great. He's an icon for the organization because of his longevity with the franchise but Champ Bailey was a better corner, he just didn't stay with the Redskins.

I think the greatness in the level of play matters too much, along with the longevity, so I think Baugh and Grimm are better choices than Green and Taylor.

RE: I'd go with LT, Eli and Huff for the Giants. If Barkley stays healthy,  
allstarjim : 9/5/2019 10:46 am : link
In comment 14559361 Ira said:
Quote:
he'll take over Huff's spot. I think Flozell deserves some consideration for the Boys as does Witten.


Huff was almost as much a Redskin as he was a Giant. He played 8 years with the Giants, 5 with the Redskins. I think that knocks him a bit.

Flozell Adams is not anywhere near a Cowboys' great. Come on.
who would you rather QB this team in their prime  
gtt350 : 9/5/2019 11:44 am : link
YA Tittle, Simms or Eli? Eli is not a top 3 imho
truebluelarry nailed it for all those teams.  
Red Dog : 9/5/2019 12:13 pm : link
.
Nate Newton?  
Walt in MD : 9/5/2019 12:22 pm : link
To the sound of Jim Mora and playoffs....

Nate Newton?
Bart Starr is the best clutch QB I have ever seen  
Big Blue '56 : 9/5/2019 12:24 pm : link
and always consistent. Always there. Favre and Rodgers were/are both Great, but to me, my choice is Starr. At the very least, he should be in that top 3, imv
Not that you can argue with the three Cowboys  
figgy2989 : 9/5/2019 12:26 pm : link
But let's be hones, Emmitt Smith isn't Emmitt Smith without Larry Allen.

Probably one of the best offensive tackles in the history of the NFL. Dude was a first team all pro for like 7 or 8 years in a row.
Sorry, meant to say offensive guard  
figgy2989 : 9/5/2019 12:27 pm : link
.
No surprise on the Giants list.  
Emlen'sGremlins : 9/5/2019 12:27 pm : link
Brown, Tunnell and Taylor were our representatives on the NFL's 75th Anniversary Team too.
Bob Lilly is the biggest omission  
Jimmy Googs : 9/5/2019 12:32 pm : link
and it’s quite frankly egregious.

Case for Strahan clearly.

Not sure I ever heard of that one Redskin

Man  
figgy2989 : 9/5/2019 12:37 pm : link
Looking through some of those lists are just brutal. I know they are based on opinion, but looking at the Skins, how can Art Monk not be in the top 3 (I know they have him listed at 4), but when you look further down, they have Sean Taylor listed at 7? The guy only played 4 seasons in the NFL, yet is a top 10 player all time for that franchise?
RE: RE: Emmett Smith  
FranchiseQB : 9/5/2019 12:59 pm : link
In comment 14559320 Tuckrule said:
Quote:
In comment 14559161 gmenatlarge said:


Quote:


most overrated RB ever, truly a product of his O-line, he gained five yards before being touched on most running plays.
I would rate Randy White, Bob Lilly or Chuck Howley ahead of him.



Sounds like zeke


Zeke is phenomenal. What are you talking about.
RE: Man  
allstarjim : 9/5/2019 2:36 pm : link
In comment 14559643 figgy2989 said:
Quote:
Looking through some of those lists are just brutal. I know they are based on opinion, but looking at the Skins, how can Art Monk not be in the top 3 (I know they have him listed at 4), but when you look further down, they have Sean Taylor listed at 7? The guy only played 4 seasons in the NFL, yet is a top 10 player all time for that franchise?


Monk, like Green, played a long time very well. But he was a compiler. He only made the Pro Bowl 3 times. I would argue that he was more of a complement to Gary Clark, who was the real threat when he and Monk were on the field together. Clark was dangerous, Monk was more of a possession guy. If we're talking top 10 players in Redskins history, maybe top 15, Monk is clearly on that list. But in terms of top 3, Monk is well outside of it, IMO, when you look at guys like Grimm, Sammy Baugh, and hell, I would throw in John Riggins before Monk. Joe Jacoby is probably in there before Monk as well, but neither of the latter two should crack the top 3.
RE: Bob Lilly is the biggest omission  
BlueLou'sBack : 9/5/2019 2:40 pm : link
In comment 14559632 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
and it’s quite frankly egregious.

Case for Strahan clearly.

Not sure I ever heard of that one Redskin


Lily was the greatest Cowboy ever. Better than Smith, Dorset, or Staubach IMO.
But hey  
allstarjim : 9/5/2019 2:40 pm : link
That list had Urlacher over Gayle Sayers for the Bears. Urlacher over Ditka and Singletary, too.

Urlacher was great, but come on, Mike Singletary was the leader of a defense that is widely considered perhaps the best ever.
RE: But hey  
Big Blue '56 : 9/5/2019 2:50 pm : link
In comment 14559899 allstarjim said:
Quote:
That list had Urlacher over Gayle Sayers for the Bears. Urlacher over Ditka and Singletary, too.

Urlacher was great, but come on, Mike Singletary was the leader of a defense that is widely considered perhaps the best ever.


Agreed
Agree  
PaulN : 9/5/2019 5:33 pm : link
About Lily, but he never played for the hall of fame owner, Jerry Jones. Even the Eagles gain my support over the Cowboys, I hope I drop dead before they win again. I hate them like no other.
RE: I think the Redskins' list is way off  
bw in dc : 9/5/2019 5:57 pm : link
In comment 14559407 allstarjim said:
Quote:
Sammy Baugh HAS to be on there. Helped revolutionize the game.

Russ Grimm...when you think of the Redskins, you think of the Hogs...the best among them was Grimm.

Those two have to be on it.

As far as Darrell Green, he was a good corner for a VERY long time and was extremely fast, but he wasn't one of the game's best corners during his time. He was a very good corner, not great. He's an icon for the organization because of his longevity with the franchise but Champ Bailey was a better corner, he just didn't stay with the Redskins.

I think the greatness in the level of play matters too much, along with the longevity, so I think Baugh and Grimm are better choices than Green and Taylor.


I usually read what you write because you seem pretty well versed in the game. But to say Green wasn't a GREAT corner is a bit mad. Gil Brandt calls him the 8th best of all-time behind Sanders, Blount, Williams, Brown, CWoodson, Haynes, and RWoodson. Green was olympic speed fast, was able to fight against taller guys (and win), was actually terrific against the run, and, on a side note, was a brilliant punt returner.

Now, I'm a bit biased because I play hoops with the guy, and have gotten to know him, but he was only size away from likely being in the top five.
Washington list  
Spike13 : 9/5/2019 7:51 pm : link
Is horrid. Baugh, Grimm, Green, Mann, Manley, Biner, & Marshal could supplant any of the choices.
Harry & Carl, never received the credit they deserved, outside of snippets from Sumerall,, or Madden.
mel heim  
madgiantscow009 : 9/5/2019 8:02 pm : link
Hein next played 15 seasons in the NFL as a center for the New York Giants from 1931 to 1945. He was selected as a first-team All-Pro for eight consecutive years from 1933 to 1940 and won the Joe F. Carr Trophy as the NFL's Most Valuable Player in 1938. He was the starting center on NFL championship teams in 1934 and 1938 and played in seven NFL championship games (1933–1935, 1938–1939, 1941, and 1944).
RE: Emmett Smith  
weeg in the bronx : 9/5/2019 10:11 pm : link
In comment 14559161 gmenatlarge said:
Quote:
most overrated RB ever, truly a product of his O-line, he gained five yards before being touched on most running plays.
I would rate Randy White, Bob Lilly or Chuck Howley ahead of him.


In 93, last game of season in the brutal cold, I watched him will that team to victory with a monster game. One of the greatest clutch performances I ever saw. He was the reason they won all those SBs.
RE: mel heim  
yatqb : 9/5/2019 11:26 pm : link
In comment 14560365 madgiantscow009 said:
Quote:
Hein next played 15 seasons in the NFL as a center for the New York Giants from 1931 to 1945. He was selected as a first-team All-Pro for eight consecutive years from 1933 to 1940 and won the Joe F. Carr Trophy as the NFL's Most Valuable Player in 1938. He was the starting center on NFL championship teams in 1934 and 1938 and played in seven NFL championship games (1933–1935, 1938–1939, 1941, and 1944).


I agree that Hein has to be considered for top 3 list. But it's a tossup between him, Rosey Brown and Tunnell...three super players.

I'd go LT, Hein and Rosey, but man, the Giants have a great history and there are several guys deserving of recognition. Time to make more good history soon, I hope.
RE: RE: Emmett Smith  
gmenatlarge : 9/6/2019 8:49 am : link
In comment 14560614 weeg in the bronx said:
Quote:
In comment 14559161 gmenatlarge said:


Quote:


most overrated RB ever, truly a product of his O-line, he gained five yards before being touched on most running plays.
I would rate Randy White, Bob Lilly or Chuck Howley ahead of him.



In 93, last game of season in the brutal cold, I watched him will that team to victory with a monster game. One of the greatest clutch performances I ever saw. He was the reason they won all those SBs.


You could have put an average NFL back behind that line and still won.
Back to the Corner