Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Gettleman's personality

BestFeature : 9/5/2019 8:24 pm
Between drafting a ton of CBs in this year's draft and tracking the analytics of their formations and in part trading Beckham because of it (Leonard's article), it seems that Gettleman IS actually living in the 21st century and DOES actually care about analytics. So my question is why does he always put his foot in his mouth and say things that aren't even true but make him look like an idiot? Analytics is one example of him saying stupid and not true shit and another example is him saying that maybe Eli will play for years still after drafting Jones. I can think of two reasons.

1) That's just his personality and he's just impulsive and doesn't always think through what he says.

2) This is strategic and he tries to put the heat on himself to take the heat off of the coaches and players.

What do you guys think?
smokescreen  
bebopson : 9/5/2019 8:30 pm : link
He just says random folksy shit so nobody knows what he really is thinking. At least that's what he thinks he's doing. He telegraphed Saquon. In any case, low signal to noise ratio is his m.o.
Think he feels ELI may have more good years ahead of him behind the  
TMS : 9/5/2019 8:31 pm : link
right cast. If not we will try to groom DJ to take his place. What do you find wrong with that analysis ?
Why does he need to answer to you?  
Bill L : 9/5/2019 8:34 pm : link
Or to me, or to guys with tape recorders, or to anyone other than his bosses?

Answer: He doesnít.
Unlike  
Les in TO : 9/5/2019 8:36 pm : link
Other execs who have mastered the art of dodging and talking in generalities, he will speak his mind and is very blunt. I donít think heís doing it to be strategic or mislead.
I say we wait for FMiC...  
bw in dc : 9/5/2019 8:36 pm : link
to grace us with all of his words of wisdom about his favorite GM.
As for why Gettleman does opposite of what he says, he has been  
NephilimGiants : 9/5/2019 8:40 pm : link
Dealing with cancer so maybe its been getting the best of him...no one knows what to believe from him anymore...did he really draft Jones because he thinks he is best player or is his cancer getting the best of him
What if Eli plays lights out this year  
Tim in VA : 9/5/2019 8:44 pm : link
Do you push Daniel Jones in? Probably not. What if Eli plays really well for 2 years? Do you have a crystal ball? I think what he's saying is common sense. Is it tremendously likely? Probably not, but it's a possibility. Would you rather he said Jones will start next year unconditionally? What would you have preferred he say actually?
RE: As for why Gettleman does opposite of what he says, he has been  
Bill L : 9/5/2019 8:44 pm : link
In comment 14560427 NephilimGiants said:
Quote:
Dealing with cancer so maybe its been getting the best of him...no one knows what to believe from him anymore...did he really draft Jones because he thinks he is best player or is his cancer getting the best of him

Iím sure you know this already, but youíre an ass.
I like DGs personality  
Hades07 : 9/5/2019 8:45 pm : link
He doesn't care about what the press thinks or writes, doesn't care if people don't like his moves. He does what he thinks is in the best interest of the team regardless.

I have yet to hear him say anything worth criticism. I found Reese's personality more grating and arrogant, I didn't care though, it isn't the GMs job to be liked by the fans and media. If he doesn't get results that deserves criticism. Entering his 2nd season is a bit early IMO to make a judgement on the results.
At some point he needs to put Jones in  
BestFeature : 9/5/2019 8:49 pm : link
Eli isn't even 35, he's pushing 40. I know Brady is 42 or whatever, but we drafted Jones at #6 and Eli is not Brady. Nor is he Favre.

Also, he clearly doesn't believe the shit he said about analytics.
RE: Why does he need to answer to you?  
BestFeature : 9/5/2019 8:50 pm : link
In comment 14560412 Bill L said:
Quote:
Or to me, or to guys with tape recorders, or to anyone other than his bosses?

Answer: He doesnít.


I don't know why do CEOs have to answer to anyone? I guess he doesn't have shareholders but he has stakeholders.
RE: At some point he needs to put Jones in  
Bill L : 9/5/2019 8:51 pm : link
In comment 14560446 BestFeature said:
Quote:
Eli isn't even 35, he's pushing 40. I know Brady is 42 or whatever, but we drafted Jones at #6 and Eli is not Brady. Nor is he Favre.

Also, he clearly doesn't believe the shit he said about analytics.

No one else seems to want to say, so I will. Heíll put Jones in when the Giants are not in playoff contention or when it looks like the season is going down the tubes.
RE: RE: At some point he needs to put Jones in  
BestFeature : 9/5/2019 8:52 pm : link
In comment 14560451 Bill L said:
Quote:
In comment 14560446 BestFeature said:


Quote:


Eli isn't even 35, he's pushing 40. I know Brady is 42 or whatever, but we drafted Jones at #6 and Eli is not Brady. Nor is he Favre.

Also, he clearly doesn't believe the shit he said about analytics.


No one else seems to want to say, so I will. Heíll put Jones in when the Giants are not in playoff contention or when it looks like the season is going down the tubes.


Right, so he doesn't believe the shit about Eli playing years. Eli might play all year this year, but I can't see it lasting more than 1 year.
RE: What if Eli plays lights out this year  
NephilimGiants : 9/5/2019 8:52 pm : link
In comment 14560437 Tim in VA said:
Quote:
Do you push Daniel Jones in? Probably not. What if Eli plays really well for 2 years? Do you have a crystal ball? I think what he's saying is common sense. Is it tremendously likely? Probably not, but it's a possibility. Would you rather he said Jones will start next year unconditionally? What would you have preferred he say actually?


What time zone has Eli ever played light out? He only lead the league #1 three times but that was with the most interceptions
Confucius...  
bw in dc : 9/5/2019 8:53 pm : link
has spoken.
If a question annoys him he probably  
St. Jimmy : 9/5/2019 8:55 pm : link
trolls the person asking it.
Would him speaking more to your liking  
UConn4523 : 9/5/2019 8:55 pm : link
have any effect on our win/loss record? I canít believe people care about this stuff. I bet thereís really shorty GMs out there who can speak really well. Then youíve got guys like Belichick who can barely mumble a sentence together but itís fine because he wins.

Who cares.
RE: Confucius...  
Bill L : 9/5/2019 8:57 pm : link
In comment 14560457 bw in dc said:
Quote:
has spoken.

If you meant me, thatís still racist. If you meant Nephilim, you misspelled Confusus.
RE: RE: Confucius...  
NephilimGiants : 9/5/2019 9:00 pm : link
In comment 14560467 Bill L said:
Quote:
In comment 14560457 bw in dc said:


Quote:


has spoken.


If you meant me, thatís still racist. If you meant Nephilim, you misspelled Confusus.


Can someone give this man a Reece's pieces...he deserves it
RE: RE: Confucius...  
bw in dc : 9/5/2019 9:01 pm : link
In comment 14560467 Bill L said:
Quote:
In comment 14560457 bw in dc said:


Quote:


has spoken.


If you meant me, thatís still racist. If you meant Nephilim, you misspelled Confusus.


Look, racist or not, thatís who you are. So embrace all of your Confuciusness and do your job.
RE: Would him speaking more to your liking  
BestFeature : 9/5/2019 9:02 pm : link
In comment 14560463 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
have any effect on our win/loss record? I canít believe people care about this stuff. I bet thereís really shorty GMs out there who can speak really well. Then youíve got guys like Belichick who can barely mumble a sentence together but itís fine because he wins.

Who cares.


a) It was a topic for conversation. I was just curious what people thought.

b) If Elon Musk said stupid shit when interviewed would that really matter? I don't really care but there's something to be said about holding him to the standards of business leaders and a football team is a businesslike it or not.
RE: RE: RE: Confucius...  
NephilimGiants : 9/5/2019 9:04 pm : link
In comment 14560475 bw in dc said:
Quote:
In comment 14560467 Bill L said:


Quote:


In comment 14560457 bw in dc said:


Quote:


has spoken.


If you meant me, thatís still racist. If you meant Nephilim, you misspelled Confusus.



Look, racist or not, thatís who you are. So embrace all of your Confuciusness and do your job.


Gosh bro already mad, I wouldn't want to be around after cowgirls game...will Zeke ride them like a pony? Stay tuned
RE: I say we wait for FMiC...  
.McL. : 9/5/2019 9:05 pm : link
In comment 14560420 bw in dc said:
Quote:
to grace us with all of his words of wisdom about his favorite GM.



LOL
Now that I just mentioned Zeke riding Giants a light bulb  
NephilimGiants : 9/5/2019 9:08 pm : link
Lit... Cowboys waited for this game so Zeke won't forget why he is getting paid...ofc cowboys are going to win, its a win win for both teams to show the value of such high pay at the least valued position.if zeke doesn't play lights out after that huge contract then what does that say to value of RB
RE: smokescreen  
Nine-Tails : 9/5/2019 9:08 pm : link
In comment 14560404 bebopson said:
Quote:
He just says random folksy shit so nobody knows what he really is thinking. At least that's what he thinks he's doing. He telegraphed Saquon. In any case, low signal to noise ratio is his m.o.


Yep after picking Saquon, it's been real hard to get a readout on him. I take everything he says with a grain if salt.
It's a job where the job description is: SAY NOTHING.  
David B. : 9/5/2019 9:09 pm : link
Given that, I find him refreshing and FAR more entertaining than Reese, Accorsi, and Nosferatu.

He's a little more forthcoming about process and philosophy than the other guys were, even if he still keeps the details under wraps.



This has been answered over and over again.  
Big Blue '56 : 9/5/2019 9:10 pm : link
Why is this question constantly asked? Are the answers going to change before the start of year 2?

Just adkiní
askiní  
Big Blue '56 : 9/5/2019 9:10 pm : link
.
Nice to see...  
bw in dc : 9/5/2019 9:16 pm : link
another Gettleman sycophant - BBí56 - making a Cameo.

RE: Now that I just mentioned Zeke riding Giants a light bulb  
NephilimGiants : 9/5/2019 9:17 pm : link
In comment 14560498 NephilimGiants said:
Quote:
Lit... Cowboys waited for this game so Zeke won't forget why he is getting paid...ofc cowboys are going to win, its a win win for both teams to show the value of such high pay at the least valued position.if zeke doesn't play lights out after that huge contract then what does that say to value of RB


Dont get it confucius though, D Law wont let him go anywhere, Cowboys best move got blocked
RE: Why does he need to answer to you?  
Dave : 9/5/2019 9:17 pm : link
In comment 14560412 Bill L said:
Quote:
Or to me, or to guys with tape recorders, or to anyone other than his bosses?

Answer: He doesnít.


wrong Bill L. it is part of his job
RE: smokescreen  
Scuzzlebutt : 9/5/2019 9:20 pm : link
In comment 14560404 bebopson said:
Quote:
He just says random folksy shit so nobody knows what he really is thinking. At least that's what he thinks he's doing. He telegraphed Saquon. In any case, low signal to noise ratio is his m.o.


I agree with the first part. I disagree that he telegraphed Barkley. BBI is a collection of die-hard fans who hang on every word uttered by the teams GM and no one had a clue who we were drafting. Barkley was one of three or four possible players, so some people suspected Barkley could be the guy... but thatís just because we were drafting at 2.
RE: RE: Why does he need to answer to you?  
Bill L : 9/5/2019 9:23 pm : link
In comment 14560526 Dave said:
Quote:
In comment 14560412 Bill L said:


Quote:


Or to me, or to guys with tape recorders, or to anyone other than his bosses?

Answer: He doesnít.



wrong Bill L. it is part of his job

I very much doubt that it is. But, perhaps you can post his contract here and we can take a look?
RE: Nice to see...  
Bill L : 9/5/2019 9:25 pm : link
In comment 14560523 bw in dc said:
Quote:
another Gettleman sycophant - BBí56 - making a Cameo.

Can you distinguish between non-hater, supporter, and sycophant? I donít think you can through those burgundy-colored glasses.
Get it right...  
bw in dc : 9/5/2019 9:28 pm : link
burgundy and gold. ; )
RE: Get it right...  
Bill L : 9/5/2019 9:29 pm : link
In comment 14560539 bw in dc said:
Quote:
burgundy and gold. ; )

I didnít think the frames impacted sight.
RE: Nice to see...  
Big Blue '56 : 9/5/2019 9:31 pm : link
In comment 14560523 bw in dc said:
Quote:
another Gettleman sycophant - BBí56 - making a Cameo.


Winner take all. Me, DG vs you and Darrell Green in doubles?
They...  
bw in dc : 9/5/2019 9:31 pm : link
are bifocals.
RE: RE: Would him speaking more to your liking  
UConn4523 : 9/5/2019 9:32 pm : link
In comment 14560478 BestFeature said:
Quote:
In comment 14560463 UConn4523 said:


Quote:


have any effect on our win/loss record? I canít believe people care about this stuff. I bet thereís really shorty GMs out there who can speak really well. Then youíve got guys like Belichick who can barely mumble a sentence together but itís fine because he wins.

Who cares.



a) It was a topic for conversation. I was just curious what people thought.

b) If Elon Musk said stupid shit when interviewed would that really matter? I don't really care but there's something to be said about holding him to the standards of business leaders and a football team is a businesslike it or not.


Yeah, as the face of a company it would matter. If Steve Jobs couldn't explain his products, that would be bad for Apple.

But GMs evaluate talent and build teams. Usually they give interviews because they have to. I donít put much stock in what, or how they say things.
RE: RE: Nice to see...  
bw in dc : 9/5/2019 9:42 pm : link
In comment 14560544 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
In comment 14560523 bw in dc said:


Quote:


another Gettleman sycophant - BBí56 - making a Cameo.




Winner take all. Me, DG vs you and Darrell Green in doubles?


Hoops or tennis?
RE: Think he feels ELI may have more good years ahead of him behind the  
Gatorade Dunk : 9/5/2019 9:47 pm : link
In comment 14560406 TMS said:
Quote:
right cast. If not we will try to groom DJ to take his place. What do you find wrong with that analysis ?

The capital letters.
I think he's honest - I doubt there's any smokescreen  
jcn56 : 9/5/2019 9:57 pm : link
I don't think he values analytics as much as other organizations do. He's said as much, and I believe him. That doesn't mean he completely avoids them, though.

Whether or not that strategy works out for him remains to be seen.
DG reminds me of  
mrvax : 9/5/2019 9:59 pm : link
a politician who seems to excel in trolling the media.
RE: As for why Gettleman does opposite of what he says, he has been  
Bluesbreaker : 9/5/2019 10:03 pm : link
In comment 14560427 NephilimGiants said:
Quote:
Dealing with cancer so maybe its been getting the best of him...no one knows what to believe from him anymore...did he really draft Jones because he thinks he is best player or is his cancer getting the best of him


Wow really this the second post I have read and its only the
second thread that I clicked on in 5 minutes time this
is worst by a long shot the thread about Lawrence replacing
Snack was a disaster this he a face palm .
I hope this is your last post I stumble across .eye roll...
RE: RE: As for why Gettleman does opposite of what he says, he has been  
mrvax : 9/5/2019 10:07 pm : link
In comment 14560601 Bluesbreaker said:
Quote:

Wow really this the second post I have read and its only the
second thread that I clicked on in 5 minutes time this
is worst by a long shot the thread about Lawrence replacing
Snack was a disaster this he a face palm .
I hope this is your last post I stumble across .eye roll...


Well, it's a Nephilim. 🤷‍♂️
all I care about is the bottom line  
gtt350 : 9/5/2019 11:24 pm : link
after our watching paint dry former GM he's refreshing
RE: all I care about is the bottom line  
jcn56 : 9/5/2019 11:39 pm : link
In comment 14560748 gtt350 said:
Quote:
after our watching paint dry former GM he's refreshing


In what sense is he refreshing? The corny jokes while not giving any more detail than the last guy? Or do you think he really did get offers for bagels and donuts while on the clock?
my statement seems self explanatory  
gtt350 : 9/5/2019 11:49 pm : link
you are entitled to your opinion
RE: Nice to see...  
.McL. : 9/5/2019 11:52 pm : link
In comment 14560523 bw in dc said:
Quote:
another Gettleman sycophant - BBí56 - making a Cameo.

But we like fiddy, he's cool.
RE: RE: Nice to see...  
bw in dc : 9/6/2019 12:22 am : link
In comment 14560792 .McL. said:
Quote:
In comment 14560523 bw in dc said:


Quote:


another Gettleman sycophant - BBí56 - making a Cameo.



But we like fiddy, he's cool.


He and I go way back. Great guy.
RE: RE: RE: Why does he need to answer to you?  
Dave : 9/6/2019 5:02 am : link
In comment 14560531 Bill L said:
Quote:
In comment 14560526 Dave said:


Quote:


In comment 14560412 Bill L said:


Quote:


Or to me, or to guys with tape recorders, or to anyone other than his bosses?

Answer: He doesnít.



wrong Bill L. it is part of his job


I very much doubt that it is. But, perhaps you can post his contract here and we can take a look?


just look at his peers behavior
DG Dissed AnalyticsÖ  
Jim in Tampa : 9/6/2019 6:33 am : link
When someone challenged why the Giants would take a RB that high. It served his purpose at the time to put analytics down, because he felt that he needed to defend his draft choice. I never took it to mean that DG was ďanti-analyticsĒ.

As far as suggesting that Eli could still play many more years, thatís DG giving Eli his due respect while trying to diffuse any future QB controversy.
RE: RE: What if Eli plays lights out this year  
gmenatlarge : 9/6/2019 6:50 am : link
In comment 14560455 NephilimGiants said:
Quote:
In comment 14560437 Tim in VA said:


Quote:


Do you push Daniel Jones in? Probably not. What if Eli plays really well for 2 years? Do you have a crystal ball? I think what he's saying is common sense. Is it tremendously likely? Probably not, but it's a possibility. Would you rather he said Jones will start next year unconditionally? What would you have preferred he say actually?



What time zone has Eli ever played light out? He only lead the league #1 three times but that was with the most interceptions


I guess you slept through the 2007 and 2011 playoffs...
RE: Why does he need to answer to you?  
giantstock : 9/6/2019 10:07 am : link
In comment 14560412 Bill L said:
Quote:
Or to me, or to guys with tape recorders, or to anyone other than his bosses?

Answer: He doesnít.


Of course he "doesn't." But I think most of us think we're potentially primed for next year and IF IF things go wrong next year (HOPEFULLY THEY DO NOT), if he doesn't care what he says now-- will he expect to be "heard" after 2020 or can we all get on the bandwagon of canning him?

In other words, you can't expect everyone to have it both ways with him. If you don;t give a shit what he says now and suppose he doesn't-- well in 2020 when more than likely we were supposed to win much more often and we don't-- why should we listen to him after that? If he is not going to tell the truth the past two years why would we expect to hear an honest answer after 2020 if the team fails?

Note: I'm saying "IF" the team fails. Hopefully they do NOT. Disclosure: For me he is an asshole. But if the team wins enough - I'll call him "colorful and eccentric" and "Damn glad to have him."

If he wins that trumps his personality. If the team sucks then his personality gets under my skin unless I feel he is likeable in some manner. And as of this moment he is NOT likeable for me. As a result I (and some others who also hate him in some manner) will have a shorter fuse. Sure he can be "above it all" for now. IMO he still has a window for his team to suck. In 2020 -THAT is the year.
How much..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 9/6/2019 10:26 am : link
are decoder rings going for these days??
RE: How much..  
Britt in VA : 9/6/2019 10:28 am : link
In comment 14561043 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
are decoder rings going for these days??


I got mine in a cereal box.
agree with David B  
JonC : 9/6/2019 10:37 am : link
He's more open with details when he can be, otherwise he keeps a lid on things. He can't always contain the old school Boston smart ass, isn't terribly well-spoken,
and he's rough around the edges public speaking for a fanbase that's far more engaged with info than 20+ years ago. Having known him briefly 30+ years ago I can say he sounds like the same personality.
I think Gettleman would be a fascinating  
Gatorade Dunk : 9/6/2019 10:52 am : link
and entertaining personality in a 1:1 or other small social setting.

In front of a microphone, I think he still has that same casual manner, but it comes across differently, often because we only get to hear one side of the conversation or only get soundbites.

I do think he likes to talk, sometimes to the point of contradicting himself, but I think he's just a normal guy most of the time. That said, I wonder how much the criticism or fear of criticism gets to him (and that the times when he's a bit gruff, it's in response to that), because he's got that weird tendency to remind people of how many Super Bowl teams he's been a part of.

Ultimately, I have come around to the type of team he's building and look forward to rooting for them (and him). I might still cringe at some of what he says when he starts on one of his clichťd football parables, but I'd also love to sit down and have a beer with him and pick his brain about his lifetime in football.
Happy with him  
Lines of Scrimmage : 9/6/2019 11:34 am : link
Straight shooter and he know exactly what type of team he wants and never deviates from it. I think he is pretty funny as well.

If one looks at his background it it quite clear imo where he came to his "Run the ball, stop the run, get the passer" mantra with big people. You can throw in throwing from the pocket.

Buffalo: Was a scout with the Bills during the glory years of four Super Bowls. Who dismantled the Bills and with what? Dallas, Washington, Giants.

Denver: Was a scout during Shanahan Super Bowl teams. Again, the mantra played out.

Giants: What did the 2000 Ravens have that dismantled the Giants? What did the great Coughlin teams have?


I care less about his personality and more appreciate that he fully understands what it takes to win in this game and is going to keep trying till its right.
What do you guys think?  
Torrag : 9/6/2019 12:03 pm : link
I frankly feel the sports media willfully misconstrue his meaning in order to shit stir and bolster their weak content. I've watched every second and read every thing that has come out of his mouth since he was hired as GM. I don't see anything that abrasive about the man. On the contrary I think he has a dry but noticeable sense of humor. They just don't like how he snickers behind his hand at the journalists veiled contention that their opinions on Giants business matters.

Let's be clear he is under no onus to 'be honest' with the sports media about his plans for this team. In fact he would be an idiot if his design was transparent. They don't like that. Result?...attacking him with empty yet insulting reports such as 'he has no plan'.

His resume includes multiple super bowl wins when he ran our pro personnel dept. He went to carolina and was the primary architect of a 15-1 roster that lost a Superbowl. No plan? Get the fuck out. You want to say you don't like the plan? OK, but be fair...no plan?

The backlash over the Jones pick is another case. I'm convinced that was as much or more about DG than it was about the QB. Did the press really believe he would let the cat out of the bag in his comments leading up to the Draft? Yeah we all know we need better edge rushers and passed up the opportunity to Draft one but give the man his due. He had the courage of his convictions and took the QB he felt was the right man to lead this team into the future. That's his job. Not coddling an ultra sensitive media that feigns false indignation in order to put forth it's sad narrative.

The media bears the brunt of responsibility as regards the state of the relationship with the NY Giants GM. Not the oter way around.
Back to the Corner