Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

I say Daniel Jones plays this Sunday

cjac : 9/6/2019 1:47 pm
I really think based on his skill set (why leave talent on the bench), and based on Shurmur's quote "Eli is our starter and Daniel is getting ready to play"....

Some have agreed with me, and some are saying "no way"

What does everyone think? they design a few plays for him to come in and run, maybe the read option, or maybe to fool the Cowboys in thinking its a run and he hits Engram in the seam...

What does everyone think?
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
RE: I've always wondered who Ranaan's dupe on BBI was  
cjac : 9/6/2019 2:27 pm : link
In comment 14561437 Torrag said:
Quote:
Now we know.


Me?
'Jordan has his own handle here'  
Torrag : 9/6/2019 2:28 pm : link
Now we also know mr mexico doesn't know what a dupe is.
RE: 'Jordan has his own handle here'  
ron mexico : 9/6/2019 2:32 pm : link
In comment 14561460 Torrag said:
Quote:
Now we also know mr mexico doesn't know what a dupe is.


Its SeŮor Mexico

Is this for real  
Tuckrule : 9/6/2019 2:33 pm : link
He isnít playing and he isnít a gadget player. Since when did Daniel jones become pat white. And he for sure as hell isnt going to play vs that Dallas front. When his time comes heíll be setup for success maybe vs Arizona or Tampa.
Daniel Jones starting would be ten times more shocking than the  
Zeke's Alibi : 9/6/2019 3:18 pm : link
Luck retirement. We would have heard about him taking snaps with the first team all week already.
Daniel Jones is a good athlete, but he isn't this great athlete that  
Zeke's Alibi : 9/6/2019 3:19 pm : link
it makes sense to do this unless our red zone offense looks completely inept. Which truthfully it could, we don't exactly have great red zone targets.
Jones is not starting and he won't be on the field at the same time  
Del Shofner : 9/6/2019 3:22 pm : link
as Eli, but cjac's original hypothesis - that Jones comes on for a scripted series or two as a change-up - is not crazy in my view.
Do we even know for sure  
Bill in UT : 9/6/2019 3:23 pm : link
if he's dressing?
RE: Do we even know for sure  
Del Shofner : 9/6/2019 3:24 pm : link
In comment 14561554 Bill in UT said:
Quote:
if he's dressing?


No, but I'll bet he is. Is there any question he's the #2?
RE: Do we even know for sure  
cjac : 9/6/2019 3:44 pm : link
In comment 14561554 Bill in UT said:
Quote:
if he's dressing?


Head Coach Pat Shurmur -- September 6, 2019

Q: Who is your number two quarterback?
A: Our number two quarterback right now is Daniel Jones.

Q: So heíll dress on Sunday?
A: Yeah. Weíre going to dress two quarterbacks. (Eli and) Daniel Jones.

Q: If Eli got injured, how ready is Daniel to go in and excel?
A: Heís ready to go. If he has to go in and play, heís ready to go. Excuse my weird face when you asked that question. It seems pretty obvious.
Read option? Not a chance in hell. (Low reward, high injury risk)  
Big Blue Blogger : 9/6/2019 3:47 pm : link
RPO? Conceivable, but I still think the downside is way bigger than the upside. We've already seen one ugly fumbled exchange between Halapio and Jones. Then consider how few reps Jones and Barkley have taken together: not a lot in practice, and exactly zero against a live defense.

From the tiny sample we've seen, Jones runs the RPO sweetly, and pulls the ball more smoothly than Manning. At this point, though, Jones trying to execute that play in Dallas is as likely to result in a big play for the Cowboys as for the Giants.
Lol Shurmur can not hide his giddiness when it comes to DJ.  
Zeke's Alibi : 9/6/2019 3:51 pm : link
This much is obvious.
RE: Read option? Not a chance in hell. (Low reward, high injury risk)  
cjac : 9/6/2019 3:56 pm : link
In comment 14561580 Big Blue Blogger said:
Quote:
RPO? Conceivable, but I still think the downside is way bigger than the upside. We've already seen one ugly fumbled exchange between Halapio and Jones. Then consider how few reps Jones and Barkley have taken together: not a lot in practice, and exactly zero against a live defense.

From the tiny sample we've seen, Jones runs the RPO sweetly, and pulls the ball more smoothly than Manning. At this point, though, Jones trying to execute that play in Dallas is as likely to result in a big play for the Cowboys as for the Giants.


Well Eli can run the RPO, but why cant Jones run the read option? Russel Wilson does it, Dak does it, he runs a 4.6 40. Everyone is afraid of him getting hurt? did you see him run in college?
ha - i made a similar thread before preseason  
Justlurking : 9/6/2019 4:01 pm : link
I would not be shocked to see him come in for a series or a 3rd and short.
RE: RE: Do we even know for sure  
Bill in UT : 9/6/2019 6:21 pm : link
In comment 14561576 cjac said:
Quote:
In comment 14561554 Bill in UT said:


Quote:


if he's dressing?



Head Coach Pat Shurmur -- September 6, 2019

Q: Who is your number two quarterback?
A: Our number two quarterback right now is Daniel Jones.

Q: So heíll dress on Sunday?
A: Yeah. Weíre going to dress two quarterbacks. (Eli and) Daniel Jones.

Q: If Eli got injured, how ready is Daniel to go in and excel?
A: Heís ready to go. If he has to go in and play, heís ready to go. Excuse my weird face when you asked that question. It seems pretty obvious.


Thanks, I missed that. I guess that brings us back to why Tanney is still around. Did I see somewhere that the #3 QB gets to hang out on the sideline and whisper into Jones' ear?
What was the old Parcells saying?  
jcn56 : 9/6/2019 6:31 pm : link
You either have one quarterback or no quarterback? I don't think the Giants would mess with this.
An argument for goal line packages could be made  
DavidinBMNY : 9/6/2019 6:33 pm : link
Jones mobility would give another dimension to the offense.
Cjac, you want to  
dorgan : 9/6/2019 6:36 pm : link
bet the 6 pack of beer that you never got from Chris in Philly from the last bet?
RE: RE: RE: Do we even know for sure  
ron mexico : 9/6/2019 7:15 pm : link
In comment 14561717 Bill in UT said:
Quote:
In comment 14561576 cjac said:


Quote:


In comment 14561554 Bill in UT said:


Quote:


if he's dressing?



Head Coach Pat Shurmur -- September 6, 2019

Q: Who is your number two quarterback?
A: Our number two quarterback right now is Daniel Jones.

Q: So heíll dress on Sunday?
A: Yeah. Weíre going to dress two quarterbacks. (Eli and) Daniel Jones.

Q: If Eli got injured, how ready is Daniel to go in and excel?
A: Heís ready to go. If he has to go in and play, heís ready to go. Excuse my weird face when you asked that question. It seems pretty obvious.



Thanks, I missed that. I guess that brings us back to why Tanney is still around. Did I see somewhere that the #3 QB gets to hang out on the sideline and whisper into Jones' ear?


I bet tanney will be on the side line in his hip pocket.

Iím sure the TV broadcast will cut to him on numerous occasions.
Jones doesn't see the field  
fireitup77 : 9/6/2019 7:26 pm : link
Until two things happen.

1) Eli plays like crap.

2) The OL shows that it is solid in pass protection.
Eli had a great camp (according to PS)  
Beer Man : 9/6/2019 7:43 pm : link
The team is paying him over $17M to play QB. The only way Jones sees the field on Sunday is if Eli is injured or in a mop-up role of a one-sided game. I don't see PS risking getting into a QB controversy this early in the season.
Itís not likely Jones will  
Gregorio : 9/6/2019 7:54 pm : link
Play a few downs only. Coaches donít want to fuel speculation that a QB change is possible, especially in the mind of their starting QB. If this season comes to a point where the Giants are not in contention for the playoffs, Jones will become the full-time starter. The only caveat is an injury to Eli.
RE: Itís not likely Jones will  
joe48 : 9/6/2019 8:18 pm : link
In comment 14561785 Gregorio said:
Quote:
Play a few downs only. Coaches donít want to fuel speculation that a QB change is possible, especially in the mind of their starting QB. If this season comes to a point where the Giants are not in contention for the playoffs, Jones will become the full-time starter. The only caveat is an injury to Eli.
If we lose the first 3 games Eli should get pulled, Let the Jones era begin. I hope Eli can avoid his typical 3 and out slow start this Sunday. People will calling for Jones as they should. Tired of watching this crap for the past 7 or so years,
I hope shurmur uses jones once in a blue moon.  
djm : 9/6/2019 8:24 pm : link
Qb sneaks ? Bad idea ?
RE: RE: Itís not likely Jones will  
fireitup77 : 9/6/2019 8:35 pm : link
In comment 14561802 joe48 said:
Quote:
In comment 14561785 Gregorio said:


Quote:


Play a few downs only. Coaches donít want to fuel speculation that a QB change is possible, especially in the mind of their starting QB. If this season comes to a point where the Giants are not in contention for the playoffs, Jones will become the full-time starter. The only caveat is an injury to Eli.

If we lose the first 3 games Eli should get pulled, Let the Jones era begin. I hope Eli can avoid his typical 3 and out slow start this Sunday. People will calling for Jones as they should. Tired of watching this crap for the past 7 or so years,


Yes and all the issues of the last 7 years lie at the feet of Eli.....
RE: Cjac, you want to  
cjac : 9/6/2019 8:36 pm : link
In comment 14561725 dorgan said:
Quote:
bet the 6 pack of beer that you never got from Chris in Philly from the last bet?


How bout if Jones doesnít play, you come to a game with me. Free tailgate on top of the ticket. (Disclaimer, would have to be after the Minnesota game. But any game after that)
Jones is not playing  
section125 : 9/6/2019 8:49 pm : link
unless Eli is hurt.
Jones will not play unless Eli gets knocked out of the game  
GeofromNJ : 9/6/2019 9:09 pm : link
regardless of the score and regardless of how inept Eli may play. If Jones replaces an injured Eli, Jones will cease playing when Eli is healthy. If Eli plays poorly as the season moves along (which I don't think will happen), and the coaches decide to play Jones, the replacement will be permanent.
If Jones replaces Eli because of injury and plays decent there is no  
Zeke's Alibi : 9/6/2019 9:14 pm : link
way they give the reigns back to Eli.
He's not playing sunday  
Ned In Atlanta : 9/6/2019 9:15 pm : link
but I think a lot of peoples' bubbles will be burst on Sunday when the Giants lose by 10 points in a fairly non competitive game. Dallas is a lot more talented than the Giants and the game is in Dallas. I think people with lofty expectations for this season are out of touch with reality given the lack of talent on this roster. With that being said, being locked into Eli as the starter makes absolutely zero sense on a roster that is somewhere between 24-28 on overall talent in my opinion. The sooner Jones plays the better.
So weíre not into the idea  
djm : 9/6/2019 9:34 pm : link
Of jones playing a few snaps or even one snap a game? Just for shits bring him in and let him run the rpo once in a while?

Iíd play him a snap or two every now n then  
djm : 9/6/2019 9:36 pm : link
I see most donít like that idea
RE: So weíre not into the idea  
jcn56 : 9/6/2019 9:36 pm : link
In comment 14561872 djm said:
Quote:
Of jones playing a few snaps or even one snap a game? Just for shits bring him in and let him run the rpo once in a while?


Take that a step further - let's say he does really well. How do you quantify 'a few snaps'? What happens if you send him to the bench, the offense struggles and they lose the game?
RE: RE: RE: Do we even know for sure  
LakeGeorgeGiant : 9/6/2019 11:52 pm : link
Quote:



Thanks, I missed that. I guess that brings us back to why Tanney is still around. Did I see somewhere that the #3 QB gets to hang out on the sideline and whisper into Jones' ear?


That was never said. Nice strawman though, does it make you feel smart?
This is a very smart idea by the OP...  
bw in dc : 9/7/2019 12:26 am : link
Iíve written about the same idea. Itís quite obvious that Shurmur likes athletic, mobile QBs who solve problems off script. QBs who can keep the chains moving on third down when the called play breaks down. Making a play on the run with a throw or a run. Shurmur has actually said this.

Alas, Eli is incapable of any of that. So having a package of plays with Jones would keep the defense off balance and get Jones exposure. Two birds with one stone...

Reading some of the posts above that suggest Jones is just too delicate, and canít be exposed to any football danger, is really embarrassing.

P.S...To those who think we can create football utopia for Jones so he has this beautiful, harmless transition to the starting role - sorry, but thatís beyond dumb and completely unrealistic. Eventually the training wheels just have to come off...
I honestly don't think it happens until possibly week 12 (if at all)  
Leg of Theismann : 9/7/2019 1:19 am : link
John Mara really did not enjoy the fans and media (but mostly the fans') reaction to Eli being benched. IMO he's even a bit out of touch with fan sentiment because of that situation and I think he's afraid to pull the plug on Eli until basically the Giants' hand is forced to pull the plug and the fans are OVERWHELMINGLY calling for it. The amount of vitriol directed at Ownership and the Front Office at that time was unlike anything John Mara or even his father ever saw. I sincerely think he was scarred by it a bit and that's why you hear so much public doubling down on Eli from everyone in power.

That said, I think Week 12 could be the week, mainly because the Giants have a bye Week 11. I think this team is talented enough to at least stay in the playoff hunt until Week 10 (game against the Jets). If the team is 5-5 or better, Eli stays the starter and the Giants try to make a run. If they're under .500 I think the amount of people calling for Jones to replace Eli will be too great for Mara/Shurmur/Gettleman to back down from. This fanbase is so thirsty for some wins and a possible playoff berth, so angry at how awful the past half decade or so of NYG football has been, I don't think even Giant fans have room in their heart for a "let's let Eli play out the rest of the season just to give him a nice send-off". Again, if 5-5 or better, we're still technically in the hunt and I say Eli stays, but 4-6 or worse and I think Eli is done unfortunately. And they'll wait for/ take advantage of the Bye week to transition to Jones taking first-team reps and taking over for the legendary Eli Manning.

(Another caveat: To be honest I truly think once the team gets to 6 losses is when Jones comes in--unless they start out like 0-5 or something crazy, I just so happen to be optimistic enough to believe they won't get to 6 losses in the first 9 weeks of the season.)
RE: This is a very smart idea by the OP...  
TrueBlue56 : 9/7/2019 7:47 am : link
In comment 14561994 bw in dc said:
Quote:
Iíve written about the same idea. Itís quite obvious that Shurmur likes athletic, mobile QBs who solve problems off script. QBs who can keep the chains moving on third down when the called play breaks down. Making a play on the run with a throw or a run. Shurmur has actually said this.

Alas, Eli is incapable of any of that. So having a package of plays with Jones would keep the defense off balance and get Jones exposure. Two birds with one stone...

Reading some of the posts above that suggest Jones is just too delicate, and canít be exposed to any football danger, is really embarrassing.

P.S...To those who think we can create football utopia for Jones so he has this beautiful, harmless transition to the starting role - sorry, but thatís beyond dumb and completely unrealistic. Eventually the training wheels just have to come off...


Why in the world would you expose your future franchise quarterback and back up quarterback to a gimmick play when you have Barkley? This isn't about training wheels. God forbid Jones should get hurt on a gimmick play and Eli struggles. Jones will get his opportunity when his time comes. In the meantime he will benefit from watching on the sideline.

I can almost guarantee you that Daniel Jones will not be on the field unless Eli gets injured. That is the only scenario I see.
There is no "going a little in" with Jones  
PatersonPlank : 9/7/2019 10:06 am : link
When they make the switch that is going to be it. You can't take a fixture like Eli out, and then put him back in. A rotation just won't work, it will just create more uncertainty.
Its possible  
Rong5611 : 9/7/2019 10:19 am : link
I think there could few plays designed to take advantage of DJ's mobility where he could come in. Or, with the Read Option. Or, as a decoy. With Eli in the game or if he's not in the game.

Yes, it could happen.
Bump  
NYDCBlue : 9/9/2019 11:49 am : link
Well....
Looks like Jones played after all.
I never would have guessed.
RE: Bump  
cjac : 9/9/2019 12:05 pm : link
In comment 14568037 NYDCBlue said:
Quote:
Well....
Looks like Jones played after all.
I never would have guessed.


Well, technically i was wrong, because i didnt think it would be in garbage time.

Now I say he's starting by week 5.... :)
Might be a wash if DJ starts  
mrvax : 9/9/2019 12:47 pm : link
No one can deny that Jones would likely make some good plays using his legs/quicks from time to time. However he is also bound to make his fair share of rookie mistakes too.

One the team gave Eli his bonus (prior to the draft) the stage was set for a final Eli year.
RE: RE: Bump  
mrvax : 9/9/2019 12:50 pm : link
In comment 14568079 cjac said:
Quote:
In comment 14568037 NYDCBlue said:


Quote:


Well....
Looks like Jones played after all.
I never would have guessed.



Well, technically i was wrong, because i didnt think it would be in garbage time.

Now I say he's starting by week 5.... :)


I did not post it but I did not think he'd be in for garbage time either.
Screenshot this  
CalZone : 9/9/2019 12:55 pm : link
Jones will start this year when Eli gets traded (the no trade clause will be waved by both Eli and the Giants). There are interested parties now.

Watch.
RE: RE: This is a very smart idea by the OP...  
bw in dc : 9/9/2019 12:55 pm : link
In comment 14562028 TrueBlue56 said:
Quote:

Why in the world would you expose your future franchise quarterback and back up quarterback to a gimmick play when you have Barkley? This isn't about training wheels. God forbid Jones should get hurt on a gimmick play and Eli struggles. Jones will get his opportunity when his time comes. In the meantime he will benefit from watching on the sideline.

I can almost guarantee you that Daniel Jones will not be on the field unless Eli gets injured. That is the only scenario I see.


Jones is a big, strong kid. He'll be fine. And can we stop being delicate with Jones and Barkley? Gee, let's accumulate talent, but only use it in a measured way for fear of injury...

And who said anything about gimmicks? RPOs, designed roll passes and runs, etc. You know, 21st century football - which, btw, I largely despise. But it's today's NFL.

I was wrong  
ron mexico : 9/9/2019 12:56 pm : link
I didnít think they would use him in any likely to happen scenario
(The unlikely scenario being a giants blow out)

Iím glad Shurmur did it. Jones got valuable experience and a learning opportunity with the fumble.

I hope they continue to put him in when things arenít going well.
RE: Screenshot this  
cjac : 9/9/2019 12:57 pm : link
In comment 14568169 CalZone said:
Quote:
Jones will start this year when Eli gets traded (the no trade clause will be waved by both Eli and the Giants). There are interested parties now.

Watch.


Eli has a no trade clause in his contract, also, there are interested parties? Really? Who would that be?
RE: Screenshot this  
ron mexico : 9/9/2019 12:57 pm : link
In comment 14568169 CalZone said:
Quote:
Jones will start this year when Eli gets traded (the no trade clause will be waved by both Eli and the Giants). There are interested parties now.

Watch.


Who is interested?

JAX just traded for a guy
RE: Screenshot this  
Gatorade Dunk : 9/9/2019 1:00 pm : link
In comment 14568169 CalZone said:
Quote:
Jones will start this year when Eli gets traded (the no trade clause will be waved by both Eli and the Giants). There are interested parties now.

Watch.

The Giants don't have to waive anything; it's Eli's decision entirely.
There are no teams in the NFL  
cjac : 9/9/2019 1:05 pm : link
that would be significantly better with Eli on their roster, I cannot believe there are any teams interested in giving up draft picks for a 38 year old non mobile QB
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner