Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Does Eli start next week?

rocco8112 : 9/8/2019 6:55 pm
Brutal week one, this team is not going to contend.

Do they pull the plug on Eli this week?

Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
RE: RE: QB fetishists are unable to see  
j_rud : 9/8/2019 7:48 pm : link
In comment 14565806 LauderdaleMatty said:
Quote:
In comment 14565737 flycatcher said:


Quote:


the complete lack of defense



Eli is their Anti-Christ. No one w an ounce of football sense could think Jones could have won this game


Oh c'mon with the all or nothing thinking. Of course Jones wouldn't have won this game. But it's completely possible to think he should still be the starter despite Eli playing, in all honesty, probably good enough to win if he had a decent defense and play calling. It's not about this season. It's about the next 5.
What's the upside of playing Eli? Even if he's better than Jones  
Jim in Hoboken : 9/8/2019 7:52 pm : link
right now, isn't it better to go 3-13 rather than 5-11?

Also, he's not helping the team at all right now. The defense is bad, yes, but it doesn't preclude the offense from being better. He's the highest paid player on the team, yet we all resort to calling out the team's weakest link week after week.

A ball control offense would also help the defense, but Eli seems more worried with getting the ball out rather than getting a first down. I was hoping having DJ in the lurk would motivate him more, but it's still the same dink and dunk until the game is out of reach.

Also, we may be staring at a top 5 pick next year, it's imperative we know what we have in Jones this year.
RE: what did Eli do  
Percy : 9/8/2019 7:52 pm : link
In comment 14565998 bc4life said:
Quote:
to losing the starting job.

Right question. Of course he will start next week.
Fuck  
Photoguy : 9/8/2019 7:56 pm : link
YES, Eli starts next week. Some people here can't wait to get rid of him......JFC.

RE: what did Eli do  
twostepgiants : 9/8/2019 8:03 pm : link
In comment 14565998 bc4life said:
Quote:
to losing the starting job.


Score 10 pts?
RE: The Eli fanboys  
Bill L : 9/8/2019 8:08 pm : link
In comment 14565783 Les in TO said:
Quote:
Will point out his 68% completion and 300 yards as proof heís still got it. But anyone who watched today knows he didnít play well

You have a long history here so itís hard to find the top, but I still domthink that this is your dumbest post ever.
RE: RE: RE: QB fetishists are unable to see  
j_rud : 9/8/2019 8:15 pm : link
In comment 14565827 flycatcher said:
Quote:
In comment 14565754 j_rud said:


Quote:


In comment 14565737 flycatcher said:


Quote:


the complete lack of defense



They have absolutely *nothing* to do with each other.


?? The primary and major failure of this game is an utterly ineffective defense. But fans with QB-myopia can only see ELI, and have no awareness of how a double digit deficit fks up your offensive game plan.


Me thinking Jones should start has absolutely norhing to do with the defense, the deficit, the game olan, or the play calling. For the next 5 years of the franchise it makes more sense to play Jones immediately.

I love Eli. Ive been a staunch supporter throughout his career. At times, probably even an apologist. But his time is over.
RE: Fuck  
j_rud : 9/8/2019 8:17 pm : link
In comment 14566125 Photoguy said:
Quote:
YES, Eli starts next week. Some people here can't wait to get rid of him......JFC.


Is there something wrong with that? I live Eli, and I cant wait til hes not the starter. Its not in the best interest of the franchise, moving forward and taking into account the next 5+ seasons, to start Eli anymore.
Honestly donít buy the idea that giving away this season  
Bill L : 9/8/2019 8:22 pm : link
Will do anything to make us better over the long run. Jones next year is going to do what he does whether he plays another down this season or not.
RE: RE: RE: Eli wasn't great but he wasn't terrible  
Dutch77 : 9/8/2019 8:27 pm : link
In comment 14565925 bigbluescot said:
Quote:
In comment 14565902 Dutch77 said:


Quote:


In comment 14565845 bigbluescot said:


Quote:


the problem is regardless of what you think of the playcalling, a lot of Shumurs system (which is just a cut down version of Andy Reid's system) is built on the QB having some mobility. All those naked bootlegs and rollout have a different dimension if the QB can run just a bit. Eli doesn't have that, Eli isn't great at the short passing game. That's the offense. He's a poor fit for it schematically and the defense is so fucking dire that there's really no point drawing this out.

Put in Jones. The oline is solid enough that he should be able to take his rookie lumps relatively safely. At a push, wait until the 5th game when Tate in here.


If I want a QB to manage a game and throw underneath and give me 1 TD per game, I donít have to pay him $20 + million to do it.



Eli wasn't terrible, other than some short passing, I don't think there was that much egregious misses. The offense was just overmatched.

He wasnít terrible but whatís the point in him playing if he gives us no better chance to score points. The defense will be a problem all year but we need to be able to get more from the QB position.
RE: what did Eli do  
Dutch77 : 9/8/2019 8:33 pm : link
In comment 14565998 bc4life said:
Quote:
to losing the starting job.

The question should be what has Eli done to keep his job? High Completion % and 300 passing yards donít score points.
I wish people..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 9/8/2019 8:35 pm : link
would also realize that if the D wasn't so bad that we'd likely have not tried so many 4th down conversions. And it is also a two-edged sword. With a lead the opposing D forces teams to go short, and when we go short, it is said we are playing scared.

Look at the game thread - people had the narrative to jump on Eli from the get-go. He even took shit the opening drive.
Couple more blows to Eli's helmet  
Jimmy Googs : 9/8/2019 8:41 pm : link
and Jones won't have to wait very long at all.

I usually don't get caught up in officiating nonsense like some of you all but this is simply a continual occurrence...
RE: Eli  
Dutch77 : 9/8/2019 8:53 pm : link
In comment 14565987 redwhiteandbigblue said:
Quote:
goes 30-44 for 306 yards, 1 TD 0INT and we question whether he starts next week. Please tell me what was on your drink menu today. I want some! Lol.

What drink are you sipping on to think 1 td is enough to win most NFL games. SMH
RE: I wish people..  
Dutch77 : 9/8/2019 8:55 pm : link
In comment 14566351 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
would also realize that if the D wasn't so bad that we'd likely have not tried so many 4th down conversions. And it is also a two-edged sword. With a lead the opposing D forces teams to go short, and when we go short, it is said we are playing scared.

Look at the game thread - people had the narrative to jump on Eli from the get-go. He even took shit the opening drive.

We know the defense is BAD. What's Manning excuse now why he can only muster 1 td per game? How many NFL games are being won only scoring a single TD?
If Manning..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 9/8/2019 9:00 pm : link
threw 3 TD passes, he'd still take shit.

Basically any loss is a call for Jones, either under the guise the eli sucks or under the guise that the team sucks so it doesn't matter who the QB is.

I don't think it matters to some that a bad team can fuck up a rookie QB permanently - they just want Eli off the field so badly that they don't give a fuck.
RE: RE: I wish people..  
Ned In Atlanta : 9/8/2019 9:07 pm : link
In comment 14566468 Dutch77 said:
Quote:
In comment 14566351 FatMan in Charlotte said:


Quote:


would also realize that if the D wasn't so bad that we'd likely have not tried so many 4th down conversions. And it is also a two-edged sword. With a lead the opposing D forces teams to go short, and when we go short, it is said we are playing scared.

Look at the game thread - people had the narrative to jump on Eli from the get-go. He even took shit the opening drive.


We know the defense is BAD. What's Manning excuse now why he can only muster 1 td per game? How many NFL games are being won only scoring a single TD?



People act like the defense being atrocious and Eli being a below average starter at this point in his career are mutually exclusive
RE: If Manning..  
Ned In Atlanta : 9/8/2019 9:08 pm : link
In comment 14566494 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
threw 3 TD passes, he'd still take shit.

Basically any loss is a call for Jones, either under the guise the eli sucks or under the guise that the team sucks so it doesn't matter who the QB is.

I don't think it matters to some that a bad team can fuck up a rookie QB permanently - they just want Eli off the field so badly that they don't give a fuck.


That's fine. If we're committing to tanking just keep playing him. But to close your eyes and act like Eli isn't part of the problem is a form of denial IMO
Is opening my eyes..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 9/8/2019 9:12 pm : link
going on the game threads and posting time and again how Eli sucks as the D is allowing 5 straight TD's?

I'm not sure what your point is. Jones playing likely doesn't change anything about the game today - including the score either way.
RE: RE: I wish people..  
Bill L : 9/8/2019 9:13 pm : link
In comment 14566468 Dutch77 said:
Quote:
In comment 14566351 FatMan in Charlotte said:


Quote:


would also realize that if the D wasn't so bad that we'd likely have not tried so many 4th down conversions. And it is also a two-edged sword. With a lead the opposing D forces teams to go short, and when we go short, it is said we are playing scared.

Look at the game thread - people had the narrative to jump on Eli from the get-go. He even took shit the opening drive.


We know the defense is BAD. What's Manning excuse now why he can only muster 1 td per game? How many NFL games are being won only scoring a single TD?

Geez, how did we get to 17 points with only one rd?

Iím trying to think of all the FG and Safety permutations s that I missed seeing
RE: If Manning..  
Dutch77 : 9/8/2019 9:15 pm : link
In comment 14566494 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
threw 3 TD passes, he'd still take shit.

Basically any loss is a call for Jones, either under the guise the eli sucks or under the guise that the team sucks so it doesn't matter who the QB is.

I don't think it matters to some that a bad team can fuck up a rookie QB permanently - they just want Eli off the field so badly that they don't give a fuck.

So to protect Jones we need to keep Eli out there? No rookie QB has ever succeeded playing early in their 1st year? Bottomline is we're not winning with or without Eli. This idea that Jones will somehow regress from gaining valuable experience is nonsense. Some people have a hard time moving on or turning the page.
RE: RE: RE: I wish people..  
Ned In Atlanta : 9/8/2019 9:15 pm : link
In comment 14566548 Bill L said:
Quote:
In comment 14566468 Dutch77 said:


Quote:


In comment 14566351 FatMan in Charlotte said:


Quote:


would also realize that if the D wasn't so bad that we'd likely have not tried so many 4th down conversions. And it is also a two-edged sword. With a lead the opposing D forces teams to go short, and when we go short, it is said we are playing scared.

Look at the game thread - people had the narrative to jump on Eli from the get-go. He even took shit the opening drive.


We know the defense is BAD. What's Manning excuse now why he can only muster 1 td per game? How many NFL games are being won only scoring a single TD?


Geez, how did we get to 17 points with only one rd?

Iím trying to think of all the FG and Safety permutations s that I missed seeing



oh you got him! Almost forgot about that other 7 points once the team was down 35-10 and the game was over
RE: RE: RE: RE: I wish people..  
Dutch77 : 9/8/2019 9:22 pm : link
In comment 14566557 Ned In Atlanta said:
Quote:
In comment 14566548 Bill L said:


Quote:


In comment 14566468 Dutch77 said:


Quote:


In comment 14566351 FatMan in Charlotte said:


Quote:


would also realize that if the D wasn't so bad that we'd likely have not tried so many 4th down conversions. And it is also a two-edged sword. With a lead the opposing D forces teams to go short, and when we go short, it is said we are playing scared.

Look at the game thread - people had the narrative to jump on Eli from the get-go. He even took shit the opening drive.


We know the defense is BAD. What's Manning excuse now why he can only muster 1 td per game? How many NFL games are being won only scoring a single TD?


Geez, how did we get to 17 points with only one rd?

Iím trying to think of all the FG and Safety permutations s that I missed seeing




oh you got him! Almost forgot about that other 7 points once the team was down 35-10 and the game was over

Got who, Manning only threw 1 TD. The other 7 points came from the running back in garbage time when the Cowboys we're playing their backups. The only time Manning seems to move the football is in some kind of hurry-up/ 2 minute drill situation.
RE: RE: RE: RE: I wish people..  
Bill L : 9/8/2019 9:23 pm : link
In comment 14566557 Ned In Atlanta said:
Quote:
In comment 14566548 Bill L said:


Quote:


In comment 14566468 Dutch77 said:


Quote:


In comment 14566351 FatMan in Charlotte said:


Quote:


would also realize that if the D wasn't so bad that we'd likely have not tried so many 4th down conversions. And it is also a two-edged sword. With a lead the opposing D forces teams to go short, and when we go short, it is said we are playing scared.

Look at the game thread - people had the narrative to jump on Eli from the get-go. He even took shit the opening drive.


We know the defense is BAD. What's Manning excuse now why he can only muster 1 td per game? How many NFL games are being won only scoring a single TD?


Geez, how did we get to 17 points with only one rd?

Iím trying to think of all the FG and Safety permutations s that I missed seeing




oh you got him! Almost forgot about that other 7 points once the team was down 35-10 and the game was over
Well, if heís going to incorporate falsehoods into a fallacious should be gotten, donít you think?
Fallacious argument, he should be gotten  
Bill L : 9/8/2019 9:24 pm : link
(Correcting the English)
LMAO  
montanagiant : 9/8/2019 9:28 pm : link
BBI is a shit show at this point
I can only speak for myself  
j_rud : 9/8/2019 9:33 pm : link
but wanting Jones to start isnt a commentary on Eli's play. Theu couldve pulled out a come from behind win today and Id still probably want Jones to start. And it has nothing to do about what Eli did or didnt do, other than get (football) old.

They're not contending this year. Let Jones take his lumps and get acclimated. Thst way once the D gets straightened out in a year, maybe two, youre not waiting for the QB to get up to speed.

I love Eli. Left a few out there but played pretty well today. Well enough to win with a decent D and better playcalling. But its over.
Sy56  
Thegratefulhead : 9/8/2019 9:46 pm : link
Posed this question and I pose it as well.

What is Eli Manning doing right now that Jones cannot?

out of respect and I think with the team expects Eli should get the start at home next week.

I think Eli has to win to keep his job. if the kid was a hot mess in the preseason I would say no way. If we start O and 2 I want to see the kid. Eli through way too many passes that had no chance of converting a third down when we absolutely needed those third Downs. He doesn't believe in his own magic anymore. Eli is playing not to lose his job. He either finds it next week at home or let's start this thing.
I think Eli played well enough to keep starting personally  
Jim in Forest Hills : 9/8/2019 9:50 pm : link
but if they do switch to Jones this season, why vs the Cowboys? Wait for an easier stretch to put him in.
RE: RE: RE: RE: QB fetishists are unable to see  
flycatcher : 9/8/2019 9:50 pm : link
In comment 14566238 j_rud said:
Quote:
In comment 14565827 flycatcher said:


Quote:


In comment 14565754 j_rud said:


Quote:


In comment 14565737 flycatcher said:


Quote:


the complete lack of defense



They have absolutely *nothing* to do with each other.


?? The primary and major failure of this game is an utterly ineffective defense. But fans with QB-myopia can only see ELI, and have no awareness of how a double digit deficit fks up your offensive game plan.



Me thinking Jones should start has absolutely norhing to do with the defense, the deficit, the game olan, or the play calling. For the next 5 years of the franchise it makes more sense to play Jones immediately.

I love Eli. Ive been a staunch supporter throughout his career. At times, probably even an apologist. But his time is over.

Likewise, and I didnít mean my comment to be aimed at you.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I wish people..  
Nine-Tails : 9/8/2019 9:58 pm : link
In comment 14566586 Dutch77 said:
Quote:
In comment 14566557 Ned In Atlanta said:


Quote:


In comment 14566548 Bill L said:


Quote:


In comment 14566468 Dutch77 said:


Quote:


In comment 14566351 FatMan in Charlotte said:


Quote:


would also realize that if the D wasn't so bad that we'd likely have not tried so many 4th down conversions. And it is also a two-edged sword. With a lead the opposing D forces teams to go short, and when we go short, it is said we are playing scared.

Look at the game thread - people had the narrative to jump on Eli from the get-go. He even took shit the opening drive.


We know the defense is BAD. What's Manning excuse now why he can only muster 1 td per game? How many NFL games are being won only scoring a single TD?


Geez, how did we get to 17 points with only one rd?

Iím trying to think of all the FG and Safety permutations s that I missed seeing




oh you got him! Almost forgot about that other 7 points once the team was down 35-10 and the game was over


Got who, Manning only threw 1 TD. The other 7 points came from the running back in garbage time when the Cowboys we're playing their backups. The only time Manning seems to move the football is in some kind of hurry-up/ 2 minute drill situation.


Except he failed when the 2 minute drill mattered before the half. Gosh that drive was awful
Eli wasn't why we lost  
AcesUp : 9/8/2019 9:59 pm : link
But he didn't help this team win either. Yes, Eli should start next week but the Giants would be foolish not to be planning for Jones. Week 3 vs. the Bucs is a potential starting point, otherwise I say hold off until Week 7 vs. the AZ. It should be an important week for Eli.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I wish people..  
montanagiant : 9/8/2019 10:01 pm : link
In comment 14566754 Nine-Tails said:
Quote:
In comment 14566586 Dutch77 said:


Quote:


In comment 14566557 Ned In Atlanta said:


Quote:


In comment 14566548 Bill L said:


Quote:


In comment 14566468 Dutch77 said:


Quote:


In comment 14566351 FatMan in Charlotte said:


Quote:


would also realize that if the D wasn't so bad that we'd likely have not tried so many 4th down conversions. And it is also a two-edged sword. With a lead the opposing D forces teams to go short, and when we go short, it is said we are playing scared.

Look at the game thread - people had the narrative to jump on Eli from the get-go. He even took shit the opening drive.


We know the defense is BAD. What's Manning excuse now why he can only muster 1 td per game? How many NFL games are being won only scoring a single TD?


Geez, how did we get to 17 points with only one rd?

Iím trying to think of all the FG and Safety permutations s that I missed seeing




oh you got him! Almost forgot about that other 7 points once the team was down 35-10 and the game was over


Got who, Manning only threw 1 TD. The other 7 points came from the running back in garbage time when the Cowboys we're playing their backups. The only time Manning seems to move the football is in some kind of hurry-up/ 2 minute drill situation.



Except he failed when the 2 minute drill mattered before the half. Gosh that drive was awful

Not really, there should have been a PI call on that hail mary that is yet another obvious penalty the Refs failed to call on Dallas.

The defender had his fingers under the top of the front of Latimer's helmet and yanked his head back before the pass got there
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I wish people..  
Nine-Tails : 9/8/2019 10:03 pm : link
In comment 14566763 montanagiant said:
Quote:
In comment 14566754 Nine-Tails said:


Quote:


In comment 14566586 Dutch77 said:


Quote:


In comment 14566557 Ned In Atlanta said:


Quote:


In comment 14566548 Bill L said:


Quote:


In comment 14566468 Dutch77 said:


Quote:


In comment 14566351 FatMan in Charlotte said:


Quote:


would also realize that if the D wasn't so bad that we'd likely have not tried so many 4th down conversions. And it is also a two-edged sword. With a lead the opposing D forces teams to go short, and when we go short, it is said we are playing scared.

Look at the game thread - people had the narrative to jump on Eli from the get-go. He even took shit the opening drive.


We know the defense is BAD. What's Manning excuse now why he can only muster 1 td per game? How many NFL games are being won only scoring a single TD?


Geez, how did we get to 17 points with only one rd?

Iím trying to think of all the FG and Safety permutations s that I missed seeing




oh you got him! Almost forgot about that other 7 points once the team was down 35-10 and the game was over


Got who, Manning only threw 1 TD. The other 7 points came from the running back in garbage time when the Cowboys we're playing their backups. The only time Manning seems to move the football is in some kind of hurry-up/ 2 minute drill situation.



Except he failed when the 2 minute drill mattered before the half. Gosh that drive was awful


Not really, there should have been a PI call on that hail mary that is yet another obvious penalty the Refs failed to call on Dallas.

The defender had his fingers under the top of the front of Latimer's helmet and yanked his head back before the pass got there


Should've, could've whatever. The fact is with a 1:13 and 2 timeouts, all we mustered was 25 yards. And you're banking on a flag on a hail mary attempt to show that drive wasn't bad.
Eli was like when the Giants had Kurt Warner  
Fishmanjim57 : 9/8/2019 10:31 pm : link
Best days were in the past, the present is just a waste of Barkley's career.
This team needs a quicker, more mobile QB. They have one, who was drafted in the first round.
Just put him in!
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I wish people..  
montanagiant : 9/8/2019 10:37 pm : link
In comment 14566774 Nine-Tails said:
Quote:
In comment 14566763 montanagiant said:


Quote:


In comment 14566754 Nine-Tails said:


Quote:


In comment 14566586 Dutch77 said:


Quote:


In comment 14566557 Ned In Atlanta said:


Quote:


In comment 14566548 Bill L said:


Quote:


In comment 14566468 Dutch77 said:


Quote:


In comment 14566351 FatMan in Charlotte said:


Quote:


would also realize that if the D wasn't so bad that we'd likely have not tried so many 4th down conversions. And it is also a two-edged sword. With a lead the opposing D forces teams to go short, and when we go short, it is said we are playing scared.

Look at the game thread - people had the narrative to jump on Eli from the get-go. He even took shit the opening drive.


We know the defense is BAD. What's Manning excuse now why he can only muster 1 td per game? How many NFL games are being won only scoring a single TD?


Geez, how did we get to 17 points with only one rd?

Iím trying to think of all the FG and Safety permutations s that I missed seeing




oh you got him! Almost forgot about that other 7 points once the team was down 35-10 and the game was over


Got who, Manning only threw 1 TD. The other 7 points came from the running back in garbage time when the Cowboys we're playing their backups. The only time Manning seems to move the football is in some kind of hurry-up/ 2 minute drill situation.



Except he failed when the 2 minute drill mattered before the half. Gosh that drive was awful


Not really, there should have been a PI call on that hail mary that is yet another obvious penalty the Refs failed to call on Dallas.

The defender had his fingers under the top of the front of Latimer's helmet and yanked his head back before the pass got there



Should've, could've whatever. The fact is with a 1:13 and 2 timeouts, all we mustered was 25 yards. And you're banking on a flag on a hail mary attempt to show that drive wasn't bad.

Ok, so your take is to just ignore the facts of the last 2 mins.

Stick to Madden Ace
Eli is even the scapegoat  
Bill L : 9/8/2019 10:39 pm : link
For the defense.
The most ironinc thing..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 9/8/2019 10:42 pm : link
about the drive before half is they really were only ever going to come away with a FG anyway. And I would have actually tried the 61 yarder.

If posters really though a TD there was likely - they really are ignoring what Dallas was doing. On that drive, they were dropping 7 in coverage - and even 8 on a couple of plays.
RE: The most ironinc thing..  
Bill L : 9/8/2019 10:46 pm : link
In comment 14566916 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
about the drive before half is they really were only ever going to come away with a FG anyway. And I would have actually tried the 61 yarder.

If posters really though a TD there was likely - they really are ignoring what Dallas was doing. On that drive, they were dropping 7 in coverage - and even 8 on a couple of plays.

I was puzzled by the Hail Mary. Was there time for one more out pass to get closer and kick?

They were just guarding against someone jumping  
Jimmy Googs : 9/8/2019 10:48 pm : link
the out pass for a pick-6...
RE: They were just guarding against someone jumping  
Bill L : 9/8/2019 10:50 pm : link
In comment 14566933 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
the out pass for a pick-6...

Actually a Hail Mary is the sort of blind throw it up pass you seem to favor.
RE: I think Eli played well enough to keep starting personally  
micky : 9/8/2019 10:51 pm : link
In comment 14566714 Jim in Forest Hills said:
Quote:
but if they do switch to Jones this season, why vs the Cowboys? Wait for an easier stretch to put him in.


Most likely after the bye. The way this team is structured now, esp defense, and Jones isn't starting after the bye. Then this org is completely screwed in the membrane. No sense not to
Eli has become a scapegoat for many, this is true. But the fact of  
Zeke's Alibi : 9/8/2019 10:54 pm : link
the matter is he isn't winning games for us anymore. In today's NFL once you sign a guy to a second contract he needs to be a guy that wins you games, not helps you win games and is a passenger. There is no reason to trot him out there anymore. We just showed what we are against the class of the NFL.

Are we winning a superbowl this year? Of course not. Eli got his protection and his defenders(including me optimistically), thought he could tear it up under those circumstances. He can't. There is no reason to not play DJ under this situation. We aren't throwing a rookie QB out in front of line that will ruin him forever.

Can someone please tell me what the fuck is the point of playing Eli anymore. And if someone tells me we can make the playoffs and you never know, well I just wish BBI had a block feature. This team is way too young and no longer has a QB that can pull off what Eli did in his prime. This game was a wake up call to how we stack up against the class of the NFL and for the first time in a long time I'm hoping we lose next week. It is just prolonging the inevitable. I'm actually expecting it to happen, the bills are decent and we are dogs.
RE: Eli was like when the Giants had Kurt Warner  
HomerJones45 : 9/8/2019 10:55 pm : link
In comment 14566878 Fishmanjim57 said:
Quote:
Best days were in the past, the present is just a waste of Barkley's career.
This team needs a quicker, more mobile QB. They have one, who was drafted in the first round.
Just put him in!
Yes, Jones sure looked quick and more mobile on that fumble.
RE: RE: They were just guarding against someone jumping  
Jimmy Googs : 9/8/2019 10:57 pm : link
In comment 14566938 Bill L said:
Quote:
In comment 14566933 Jimmy Googs said:


Quote:


the out pass for a pick-6...


Actually a Hail Mary is the sort of blind throw it up pass you seem to favor.


I wasn't the one puzzled by the Hail Mary...you were
RE: I can only speak for myself  
jcn56 : 9/8/2019 11:02 pm : link
In comment 14566632 j_rud said:
Quote:
but wanting Jones to start isnt a commentary on Eli's play. Theu couldve pulled out a come from behind win today and Id still probably want Jones to start. And it has nothing to do about what Eli did or didnt do, other than get (football) old.

They're not contending this year. Let Jones take his lumps and get acclimated. Thst way once the D gets straightened out in a year, maybe two, youre not waiting for the QB to get up to speed.

I love Eli. Left a few out there but played pretty well today. Well enough to win with a decent D and better playcalling. But its over.


Couldn't have said it better myself. And I still think if we can, and Jax is interested, we should send him there.

It's not to ride Eli out of town, it's to get him to safety. This isn't a good team. Not with Eli, and I don't think they'll be any better without him. But in the right environment, I think Eli can still win. And he's done enough for the Giants to deserve that chance if it's available.

The Giants on the other hand would benefit from having Jones take his warts this year. He will need to take them sooner or later, and why not do it in a pressure-less losing campaign where the expectations are set low. Tank the season, take another set of high draft picks, get the rookie QB some experience, and hopefully create a better opportunity at contending in 2020.

I was afraid this year would be a shitshow, and I'm still of that belief. The D will be putrid. The O would struggle to be average. Every game would draw calls to see the rookie, and Eli would ride out an awkward, lame duck season that would be painful to watch.
RE: what did Eli do  
Junior22 : 9/8/2019 11:04 pm : link
In comment 14565998 bc4life said:
Quote:
to losing the starting job.


He did the last 6 seasons
RE: RE: what did Eli do  
Zeke's Alibi : 9/8/2019 11:12 pm : link
In comment 14566976 Junior22 said:
Quote:
In comment 14565998 bc4life said:


Quote:


to losing the starting job.



He did the last 6 seasons


He hasn't done anything to win it. And when you are the highest paid player on the team tahts is the important part. Can't believe people don't get this.
Iíve pushed for Jones to start...  
bw in dc : 9/8/2019 11:24 pm : link
game one. Throw him right into the deep end of the pool.

To win today required a shootout because the defense was so exposed for all the expected weaknesses. But Iím not sure we had the weapons to execute that regardless of the QB. Furthermore, and letís give credit where credit is due, Dallas has very gifted or personnel on D and thatís a tall order.

And the jury is getting damn close to concluding that Shurmur doesnít seems like a reliable playcaller, especially adjusting during the game.

So at this point does it really matter who plays QB? Because we may face this dilemma for much of the year - needing to light up the scoreboard.

If no, and you see the value in Jonesís mobility that I do, why not Jones?


RE: Iíve pushed for Jones to start...  
Les in TO : 9/9/2019 6:19 am : link
In comment 14567003 bw in dc said:
Quote:
game one. Throw him right into the deep end of the pool.

To win today required a shootout because the defense was so exposed for all the expected weaknesses. But Iím not sure we had the weapons to execute that regardless of the QB. Furthermore, and letís give credit where credit is due, Dallas has very gifted or personnel on D and thatís a tall order.

And the jury is getting damn close to concluding that Shurmur doesnít seems like a reliable playcaller, especially adjusting during the game.

So at this point does it really matter who plays QB? Because we may face this dilemma for much of the year - needing to light up the scoreboard.

If no, and you see the value in Jonesís mobility that I do, why not Jones?

because the owner believes in Eli
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner