Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Shurmur and Gettleman are now auditioning

huygens20 : 9/17/2019 3:20 pm
Do not give these dopes a pass. It’s now their team

Gettleman traded the entire defense away, drafted extra #1 picks, and drafted his franchise qb

Shurmur approved DJ and has a putrid defense


This is their bed. If it stinks in 2 years they have to be fired immediately
I think that's a fair take  
V.I.G. : 9/17/2019 3:36 pm : link
.
Never seen a place so bound and  
section125 : 9/17/2019 3:37 pm : link
determined to fire everyone.
RE: Never seen a place so bound and  
Mdgiantsfan : 9/17/2019 3:40 pm : link
In comment 14584023 section125 said:
Quote:
determined to fire everyone.


Agreed...especially after being h@& bent on the previous regime being fired 🤦🏾‍♂️
I don't agree... Their bed was with Eli  
Go Terps : 9/17/2019 3:42 pm : link
One of three things happened here:

1. Gettleman/Shurmur thought they could win with Eli in 2019

2. G/S were hired BECAUSE they told Mara they could win with Eli

3. G/S failed to convince Mara to work out an elegant exit for Eli in the off-season

Whichever happened, Gettleman and Shurmur have failed at their jobs. The only good thing Gettleman has done is trade Beckham, and Shurmur hasn't done a single thing right since he was hired.

Both should have their asses on the line THIS season. You brought Eli back, fine...better win some games.
RE: I don't agree... Their bed was with Eli  
Sean : 9/17/2019 3:45 pm : link
In comment 14584042 Go Terps said:
Quote:
One of three things happened here:

1. Gettleman/Shurmur thought they could win with Eli in 2019

2. G/S were hired BECAUSE they told Mara they could win with Eli

3. G/S failed to convince Mara to work out an elegant exit for Eli in the off-season

Whichever happened, Gettleman and Shurmur have failed at their jobs. The only good thing Gettleman has done is trade Beckham, and Shurmur hasn't done a single thing right since he was hired.

Both should have their asses on the line THIS season. You brought Eli back, fine...better win some games.


Agree with this. I’d imagine Gettleman told Mara in his interview that this team could win with Eli at the helm. Same thing with Shurmur.

5-13 since.
RE: Never seen a place so bound and  
Photoguy : 9/17/2019 3:51 pm : link
In comment 14584023 section125 said:
Quote:
determined to fire everyone.



It's BBI. Why are you surprised?
The only good thing  
lugnut : 9/17/2019 3:56 pm : link
Gettleman has done is trade Beckham? You mean, the Beckham that had 161 rec yards, a TD, and two highlight reel catches last night? Rest easy, there is no danger of any one of our oompah-loompah WRs being even half as good as that.
Unless this team implodes I don't think they are auditionaing shit  
Zeke's Alibi : 9/17/2019 3:58 pm : link
until 2020. That being said they better win at least 10 games next year and have a competitive playoff showing or I'd show them the door.
I think Gettleman is a disaster GM because the league has passed  
arniefez : 9/17/2019 4:01 pm : link
him by and smart teams are taking advantage of him like the Rams and Browns.

But he's a better GM than Shurmur is a head coach. We're headed to Bill Arnsparger territory here.
guys on this site are so matter of fact about things  
bc4life : 9/17/2019 4:14 pm : link
they know little about
I don't know what people expect  
David in Belmont : 9/17/2019 4:19 pm : link
I think DG has done a reasonably good job. He inherited a team with basically very little talent and is slowly rebuilding. He has a new young QB and a bunch of young DL and DBs. He has rebuilt the OL for the short-term. I don't think you could have expected much more in just a two off-seasons and drafts.
Basically half of the defense are either rookies or second-year players.
Have DG and PS made mistakes. Sure. But every head coach and GM make mistakes, even Little Bill.
The Rams and maybe the Browns look good now but they were terrible for years and feasted on high draft picks.
Take a deep breath, be patient and let the young kids learn by playing.
The Lightning Rod  
rocco8112 : 9/17/2019 4:35 pm : link
is gone now. Eli was the scapegoat of scapegoat for all this losing. Now, we will see. I am sure Shurmur has it all figured out.
RE: I don't agree... Their bed was with Eli  
Brown Recluse : 9/17/2019 4:37 pm : link
In comment 14584042 Go Terps said:
Quote:
One of three things happened here:

1. Gettleman/Shurmur thought they could win with Eli in 2019



Much more likely that Mara thought they could win with Eli in 2019.
Shurmur  
broadbandz : 9/17/2019 4:41 pm : link
and this entire coaching staff needs to be "benched" right after Eli.
RE: Never seen a place so bound and  
Scooter185 : 9/17/2019 5:05 pm : link
In comment 14584023 section125 said:
Quote:
determined to fire everyone.


Because they just put new deck furniture on the Titanic instead of finding someone who could actually right the ship.

They've needed to get an outside look into the GM/HC positions since TC was shown the door. As long as they keep hiring Giantsphere people they're doomed to be mediocre
we would need to improve dramatically  
HomerJones45 : 9/17/2019 5:07 pm : link
to reach mediocre.
RE: we would need to improve dramatically  
Scooter185 : 9/17/2019 5:20 pm : link
In comment 14584341 HomerJones45 said:
Quote:
to reach mediocre.


Mediocre is the ceiling


The floor is 2017 Browns....
somebody please show me any evidence  
Shirk130 : 9/17/2019 7:09 pm : link
that Shurmur will ever be a good head coach. I'd fire him now.
RE: I don't agree... Their bed was with Eli  
jcn56 : 9/17/2019 7:20 pm : link
In comment 14584042 Go Terps said:
Quote:
One of three things happened here:

1. Gettleman/Shurmur thought they could win with Eli in 2019

2. G/S were hired BECAUSE they told Mara they could win with Eli

3. G/S failed to convince Mara to work out an elegant exit for Eli in the off-season

Whichever happened, Gettleman and Shurmur have failed at their jobs. The only good thing Gettleman has done is trade Beckham, and Shurmur hasn't done a single thing right since he was hired.

Both should have their asses on the line THIS season. You brought Eli back, fine...better win some games.


I agree with you wholeheartedly, with the exception of the OBJ trade. Trading him *after* re-signing him? Idiotic.

And as much as I agree with you, you know there's no way Mara cans these guys after 2 years, no matter how much they've done to deserve it.
go terps  
GiantsFan84 : 9/17/2019 7:21 pm : link
is and has been spot on. only thing we don't know is how involved the owner has been in some of these decisions
Didnt DG have some kind of sit down meeting with Eli  
Jimmy Googs : 9/17/2019 7:27 pm : link
back in February. And the outcome of that meeting was Eli was going to remain on the team, get his roster bonus in March and default to being the likely starting QB in 2019.

Right?


https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Article/Eli-Manning-giants-roster-bonus-2019-130173319/
Every big move a GM makes is part audition & every season for a coach  
Eric on Li : 9/17/2019 7:31 pm : link
that is the reality of the business - especially new employees.

Gettleman's year 1 was mixed. Good draft, horrible FA. Year 2 there are 3 things to evaluate:
1. Daniel Jones (if he got this right nothing else matters)
2. Young defense showing signs (Peppers, Lawrence, Hill, Carter, Baker, etc)
3. Free agents (this is least important by far, Golden and Remmers are already solid contributors)

Shurmur's results speak for themselves currently. A big step back in competitiveness through 2 games. If that continues he will be on the hot seat. If he gets Jones going he will have bought himself another year, and possibly another chance to hire a DC.
USA TODAY article  
Jimmy Googs : 9/17/2019 7:32 pm : link
The New York Giants are officially the worst-run franchise in the NFL. Now that Cleveland appears to have turned their fortunes around, the Giants are the league’s new punching bag.

Miami is currently ‘tanking’ but that’s just a temporary condition. They’ll get better because they made the decision to start from scratch. The Giants? They thought for some reason they could rebuild and compete at the same time.

Sure, Daniel Jones could lift the Giants back to respectability, but it won’t change the bizarre events this team has put their fans through since they last appeared in the postseason in 2016.

We won’t bore you with the craziness that has gone on with all the personnel changes, trades, et al. since you probably know it. What many haven’t focused on is how many resources, cap space and cash this franchise has burned over that time.

General manager Dave Gettleman and the team’s ownership have not been fiscally prudent in their dealings. The Odell Beckham Jr. contract was a debacle. They took a bath. They chose not to keep certain players — which is their prerogative — but ate a ton dead money in doing so.

Then, there is the Eli Manning situation. This past offseason the Giants had a decision to make with Eli, who was entering the final year of his contract. It was clear they were searching for a replacement and could have easily cut ties with Manning and set him off on his way to find a new team. If they wanted to, they could have signed him back for less money.

But instead they committed to Manning by paying his $5 million roster bonus in March. That meant they were also committed to paying his $11.5 million and his $500K workout bonus. By releasing him, they would eaten just $6.2 million in dead cap (a mere bag of shells for them), which was part of the signing bonus paid out to him when he signed his last deal.

That also means they paid Manning $17 million (yearly cash value) they didn’t have to when they didn’t owe Manning another cent since he’s collected over $250 million over his career — the most of any player in NFL history.

At the beginning of the season, the plan was to play Eli until the Giants were not competitive any longer and then insert Jones, who they took with the 6th overall pick in the draft.

After two weeks, the Giants are 0-2 after two blowout losses and Manning has the offense going nowhere. Never mind that the defense stinks and the coaching is clueless.

Now, they’ve turned to Jones in Week 3 to save face instead of following the “Kansas City” or “Green Bay” model like Gettleman teased. Manning is done as a Giant before he loses another game and his career record dips below .500.

But think about all of this. Was there ever a plan? Is there even an overall plan? They started the season with negative salary cap space because Gettleman and the owners decided to throw logic to the wind.

The proper course of action would have been to release Manning, draft Jones and sign some more quality football players with that money. Instead, Manning will carry a $23.2 million cap charge for playing in just two games.

This is poor management. They need to get lucky — real lucky — now. There’s no more money in the coffers to improve this team. The craziness is far from over.
The whole transition to Gettleman's roster  
BigBlueDownTheShore : 9/17/2019 7:37 pm : link
has been a real fucking disaster.

We all thought we hit rock bottom 2 years ago, and its quite possible we hit rock bottom this year.

We have Saquon right now and that's about it.

Jones isn't going to right the ship simply because he is a rookie.

If Shurmur loses the locker room he's done. If DJ is absolutely terrible, it's possible DG is gone. DG will be gone if DJ doesn't work out. DJ is not a Manning and was a controversial pick, to begin with. If he stinks it up like Eli did for the majority of his rookie year DG is possibly gone.

All that being said, I almost guarantee we will get Pat Shurmur and Gettleman will be back next season.
RE: USA TODAY article  
BigBlueDownTheShore : 9/17/2019 7:39 pm : link
In comment 14584643 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
The New York Giants are officially the worst-run franchise in the NFL. Now that Cleveland appears to have turned their fortunes around, the Giants are the league’s new punching bag.

Miami is currently ‘tanking’ but that’s just a temporary condition. They’ll get better because they made the decision to start from scratch. The Giants? They thought for some reason they could rebuild and compete at the same time.

Sure, Daniel Jones could lift the Giants back to respectability, but it won’t change the bizarre events this team has put their fans through since they last appeared in the postseason in 2016.

We won’t bore you with the craziness that has gone on with all the personnel changes, trades, et al. since you probably know it. What many haven’t focused on is how many resources, cap space and cash this franchise has burned over that time.

General manager Dave Gettleman and the team’s ownership have not been fiscally prudent in their dealings. The Odell Beckham Jr. contract was a debacle. They took a bath. They chose not to keep certain players — which is their prerogative — but ate a ton dead money in doing so.

Then, there is the Eli Manning situation. This past offseason the Giants had a decision to make with Eli, who was entering the final year of his contract. It was clear they were searching for a replacement and could have easily cut ties with Manning and set him off on his way to find a new team. If they wanted to, they could have signed him back for less money.

But instead they committed to Manning by paying his $5 million roster bonus in March. That meant they were also committed to paying his $11.5 million and his $500K workout bonus. By releasing him, they would eaten just $6.2 million in dead cap (a mere bag of shells for them), which was part of the signing bonus paid out to him when he signed his last deal.

That also means they paid Manning $17 million (yearly cash value) they didn’t have to when they didn’t owe Manning another cent since he’s collected over $250 million over his career — the most of any player in NFL history.

At the beginning of the season, the plan was to play Eli until the Giants were not competitive any longer and then insert Jones, who they took with the 6th overall pick in the draft.

After two weeks, the Giants are 0-2 after two blowout losses and Manning has the offense going nowhere. Never mind that the defense stinks and the coaching is clueless.

Now, they’ve turned to Jones in Week 3 to save face instead of following the “Kansas City” or “Green Bay” model like Gettleman teased. Manning is done as a Giant before he loses another game and his career record dips below .500.

But think about all of this. Was there ever a plan? Is there even an overall plan? They started the season with negative salary cap space because Gettleman and the owners decided to throw logic to the wind.

The proper course of action would have been to release Manning, draft Jones and sign some more quality football players with that money. Instead, Manning will carry a $23.2 million cap charge for playing in just two games.

This is poor management. They need to get lucky — real lucky — now. There’s no more money in the coffers to improve this team. The craziness is far from over.


AMEN
go terps  
bc4life : 9/17/2019 8:43 pm : link
hated OBJ and said he was done. last night proved he didn't know what he was talking about
Fired immediately in 2 years?  
LakeGeorgeGiant : 9/17/2019 8:56 pm : link
Ok got it.

RE: go terps  
NoGainDayne : 9/17/2019 9:06 pm : link
In comment 14584860 bc4life said:
Quote:
hated OBJ and said he was done. last night proved he didn't know what he was talking about


I think there is a difference between noticing something is broken and calling someone done. Terps was right in that the Giants signed him to an extension and bungled the relationship management. Maybe it was already sufficiently bungled, but it was bungled worse. OBJ no doubt played a part in that bungling but to me it’s super indicative of the ineptitude that they signed him only to trade him after one season. If you have confidence in your ability to “not quit on talent” great, do it.
RE: go terps  
Go Terps : 9/17/2019 9:07 pm : link
In comment 14584860 bc4life said:
Quote:
hated OBJ and said he was done. last night proved he didn't know what he was talking about


I didn't say he was done. I said he is an asshole and a loser. I don't expect he is done being those things.
RE: RE: go terps  
Strahan91 : 9/17/2019 9:15 pm : link
In comment 14584913 Go Terps said:
Quote:
In comment 14584860 bc4life said:


Quote:


hated OBJ and said he was done. last night proved he didn't know what he was talking about



I didn't say he was done. I said he is an asshole and a loser. I don't expect he is done being those things.

That $2M watch he wore last night says you're right about that.
Back to the Corner