Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Collins on Gettleman: "Heís a liar"

jeff57 : 9/19/2019 7:50 am
Quote:
Other players released or traded by Gettleman over the years agree ó Odell Beckham, Steve Smith, and especially Collins, who returns to MetLife Stadium in Week 4, for Washingtonís game at the Giants.

Link - ( New Window )
Pages: 1 2 3 4 | Show All |  Next>>
Giants quit him  
crick n NC : 9/19/2019 7:52 am : link
He just can't quit the giants.
I wonder what year it will be  
UConn4523 : 9/19/2019 7:52 am : link
when Collins finally stops complaining about his time here
One thing about Gettlemen...  
nzyme : 9/19/2019 7:56 am : link
Considering his personality....I DO NOT think Gettlemen lied to him. If anything he was brutally honest.
Are these recent quotes?  
ron mexico : 9/19/2019 7:56 am : link
Why is N.J. media talking to Norman and Collins this week?
And for the record  
ron mexico : 9/19/2019 7:59 am : link
I get on Gettleman for a lot of things but ex players not liking him is not one of them.

Itís not in his job description to be buddy buddy with the players.
RE: One thing about Gettlemen...  
Big Blue '56 : 9/19/2019 7:59 am : link
In comment 14587209 nzyme said:
Quote:
Considering his personality....I DO NOT think Gettlemen lied to him. If anything he was brutally honest.


This X ten
RE: One thing about Gettlemen...  
mfsd : 9/19/2019 8:01 am : link
In comment 14587209 nzyme said:
Quote:
Considering his personality....I DO NOT think Gettlemen lied to him. If anything he was brutally honest.


Essentially theyíre just whining because they expected to be treated like celebrities, and DG didnít give them a bouquet of flowers as a parting gift
Say what you will  
madeinstars : 9/19/2019 8:01 am : link
Collins may talk too much, but this does not reflect well on Gettleman. Stuff like this:

"If you canít pay me, you canít keep me, or Iím not what youíre looking for with your future, all right. Just let me know. Itís all good. I havenít talked to this man not one time. The handling of it was horrible.Ē

And:

Once he came out and started talking about how we were problems, and they got rid of the problems, Iím trying to figure out: When have I ever been a problem?Ē Collins said. ďDonít group me in something that I wasnít the cause of."

Is just a bad look. All in all it paints a picture as Gettleman as a real cowardly douchebag.

Now I can handle a cowardly douchebag as a GM, if he delivers wins, but if he can't even do that...

sounds like Josh Norman  
Karl Hungus : 9/19/2019 8:03 am : link
Has brainwashed Landon Collins
Landon Collins  
allstarjim : 9/19/2019 8:03 am : link
Funny coming from a guy who tells his baby momma (sorry, one of his baby momma's) to lie to get on food stamps WHILE HE IS IN THE NFL.

The beat writers  
ryanmkeane : 9/19/2019 8:04 am : link
are all in on the anti Gettleman thing
Ok, BUT  
jvm52106 : 9/19/2019 8:04 am : link
The Giants didn't get rid of COllins... THey just didn't fucking pay him huge money to be a LB playing safety.
Madeinstars  
UConn4523 : 9/19/2019 8:07 am : link
there is no way to verify Collins take on this. What heís saying is certainly possible, but itís also possible heís still disgruntled and lying.

In the end I donít care, I just find it odd that he keeps talking about it.
I don't get all these former players coming out to bash the Giants  
figgy2989 : 9/19/2019 8:09 am : link
Especially a guy like Collins who got paid this off-season. Dude, you got paid well more than you are worth and instead of focusing on how to make your current team better (last I checked, the Skins are 0-2 as well), you would rather throw shots at your former team.

So any player cut by DG  
Tuckrule : 9/19/2019 8:10 am : link
Hated DG. Hmmmm who would have thought
RE: I don't get all these former players coming out to bash the Giants  
madeinstars : 9/19/2019 8:10 am : link
In comment 14587233 figgy2989 said:
Quote:
Especially a guy like Collins who got paid this off-season. Dude, you got paid well more than you are worth and instead of focusing on how to make your current team better (last I checked, the Skins are 0-2 as well), you would rather throw shots at your former team.


If you'd read the actual article you know it's not about that.
Collins' mouth is a bad look  
JonC : 9/19/2019 8:11 am : link
His history of running his mouth tells you a lot about him and his priorities.
He's like me when Lisa Degramilo  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 9/19/2019 8:11 am : link
Broke up with me in 7th grade. Eventually I moved on. One day Landon will too.
RE: Ok, BUT  
ron mexico : 9/19/2019 8:12 am : link
In comment 14587224 jvm52106 said:
Quote:
The Giants didn't get rid of COllins... THey just didn't fucking pay him huge money to be a LB playing safety.


Instead we pay Ogletree a ton who canít do either.

Btw, I just looked at his contract and he had a 6mil roster bonus this year.
Well after reading the article  
figgy2989 : 9/19/2019 8:13 am : link
I do agree with his comment here:

Quote:
"If you canít pay me, you canít keep me, or Iím not what youíre looking for with your future, all right. Just let me know. Itís all good. I havenít talked to this man not one time. The handling of it was horrible.Ē


Listen, he needs to move on, but Collins was one of the leaders on the team and if DG couldn't reach out to him at all during the off-season, even if it was to say "we appreciate everything you did here, but you do not fit into our future plans", that just isn't right.
RE: He's like me when Lisa Degramilo  
crick n NC : 9/19/2019 8:13 am : link
In comment 14587237 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:
Quote:
Broke up with me in 7th grade. Eventually I moved on. One day Landon will too.


Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't mean for her to do that

😳
RE: RE: I don't get all these former players coming out to bash the Giants  
figgy2989 : 9/19/2019 8:14 am : link
In comment 14587235 madeinstars said:
Quote:
In comment 14587233 figgy2989 said:


Quote:


Especially a guy like Collins who got paid this off-season. Dude, you got paid well more than you are worth and instead of focusing on how to make your current team better (last I checked, the Skins are 0-2 as well), you would rather throw shots at your former team.




If you'd read the actual article you know it's not about that.


Yeah, after I wrote this comment, I went back and read the article.
Lot of whataboutism  
madeinstars : 9/19/2019 8:15 am : link
In this thread.

Should Collins move on? Well yeah, obviously. But that stands apart from the fact that we have a GM who's an insufferable douche.

Like I said earlier, if he's an insufferable douche who can deliver a winning roster than it wouldn't be much of a problem. But since he's not doing that, well... it's just not a good look.

But hey, let's stick our head in the sand and just laugh at Collins and others while the Giants' organization stays a dumpster fire year after year.
I can see why LC is upset  
jcn56 : 9/19/2019 8:17 am : link
They tried to paint him as one of the bad apples. They did that with a lot of guys.

Is it possible that maybe not all of them were so rotten? Maybe it just made it easier to justify blowing the whole thing up?
Gettleman probably should have talked to him, but Collins is blowing  
Ira : 9/19/2019 8:18 am : link
this thing way out of proportion.
I'm sorry, but Collins is simply delusional  
Matt M. : 9/19/2019 8:19 am : link
He expected, not even just wanted, to be paid an obscene amount of money even though his play never came close to 2016 again and he had some significant injuries. As some have said, the Giants didn't get rid of him. They simply didn't offer him what he wanted.I'm also guessing he signed with Washington thinking he'll stick it to the Giants 2 times a year. The Giants may be thinking they can't wait to get Barkley and Engram i space against him 2 times a year.



most shocking part of the article  
ron mexico : 9/19/2019 8:19 am : link
we Could have traded flowers before the 18 season?

ďI had actually been asking him [for clarity],Ē Flowers told NJ Advance Media ďThat was part of the reason why I didnít go to [voluntary workouts in 2018]. I was looking for a fresh start. He had [trade] offers for me, and he didnít want to take them. So he made me stay there, until finally I had a chance to go. I was mad about it, but itís OK. Iím over it.Ē
Don't Ignore the Message  
Jeffrey : 9/19/2019 8:19 am : link
because of the messenger. Angry bitter words from Collins, Norman and others may have ulterior motives, but no one can really look at DG's performance since coming back to the Giants and not acknowledge that he has done and said many things that are seemingly inconsistent or contradictory. Eli's treatment is just the latest example of the flip-flop from this guy. Love him, hate him, trust his "plan" --I don't really care but do not ignore the reality that he has yet to prove he is right for this job and the fact that his style is very different from Reese, does not mean he will prove to be the guy who can fix this team.
I really don't have a problem with how DG is operating, but the way he  
Zeke's Alibi : 9/19/2019 8:21 am : link
handled Landon is probably my only beef I've had with him. Unless there is something I'm not seeing, LC seemed to be a guy that did everything you asked for him and more. Worked extremely hard at practice, tried to be a leader, get Eli Apple in line and than DG lumps him in with the rest of the jokers. LC should just get over it, but I'm not going to kill a professional athlete finding motivation in this situation. Those guys operate on different planets than we do. You can bet your ass we get his best game of the season twice.
The only issue is that this is consistent with what happened  
Bobby Humphrey's Earpad : 9/19/2019 8:21 am : link
in Carolina. At some point a GM has to have good relationships with players, malcontents or not. Communication/leadership style matters as it does in any business.
This is a trend with Gettleman..  
Sean : 9/19/2019 8:22 am : link
& it is part of the job. On the flip side, wasnít it the right move to move on from Smith and Norman in Carolina? Also, DG didnít slap the franchise tag on Collins - shouldnít be appreciate that?
DG has a ton to prove to NYG fans  
JonC : 9/19/2019 8:22 am : link
but I couldn't care less about what those two knuckleheads think of him. Neither player is dealing with a full deck.
IF Gettleman  
David B. : 9/19/2019 8:23 am : link
is truly handling these situations without having the balls to have a conversation with the players (beyond a quick phone call), that is pretty shitty.

He could make all the same moves and still handle it better.
Josh Norman  
Rong5611 : 9/19/2019 8:24 am : link
Should be getting a call from the NFL. His comments included a wish to physically harm Gettleman.

He should be fined accordingly.
Why isn't when the FO runs its mouth  
HomerJones45 : 9/19/2019 8:25 am : link
about a player, often through friendly allies in the sporting press, it's all good and true, but when a player says something that reflects poorly on an organization, he's a trouble maker and good riddance.

Collins got the "Giants treatment" which is far older than he most of you commenting on this: you get rid of a player that might come back and haunt you, you trash him going out the door for being choose one: disloyal, complaining, a locker room cancer. They did it with Harrison, Collins, OBJ etc.
This just in  
gmenatlarge : 9/19/2019 8:27 am : link
bosses lie to their employees, film at 11.
Is is not abundantly evident that Gettleman is an asshole?  
Tesla : 9/19/2019 8:28 am : link
Just look at the way he handles himself in the media. Mocking orginazations that believe in analytics (the same orgs that have been kicking our asses for years, btw), reminding everyone how brilliant he is because he went to 7 Super Bowls (2 as a scout, LOL), and his dismissive attitude towards anyone who disagrees with him.

These comments from players merely confirm that he's an a-hole.

As others have said, be a dick all you want, but you better back it up with wins. So far, he's not looking too smart.
Why does the media stir this shit up?  
cjac : 9/19/2019 8:30 am : link
and why does everyone hate Gettleman?

To me, the same type of personality that constantly complains,  
USAF NYG Fan : 9/19/2019 8:31 am : link
can't let things go, brings up old shit, blames everyone but themselves, etc, are the same personalities that kill morale and ARE NOT team players. They are the opposite of team player, they are team killers.

You see, I don't think people understand that, "liked by teammates" DOES NOT make them a team player.

We've all worked with that guy/girl. I see it all the time. The water cooler talk. I see people that are good at what they do, BUT, they also complain about their supervisor, manager, ect for everything under the sun to all their co-workers. Their co-workers, who look up to them, eat this stuff up. It undermines leaderships and kills the morale towards the organization. People lose faith in their leaders because they actually believe the class clown knows best.

I've been both the class clown and the leader. I've seen it and dealt with it. If you talk to them about it and they can't stop doing it, you cut them loose for the good of your team. They are toxic and will destroy your organization.

I've got two names for you; OBJ and Collins. Every time they open their mouth complaining about the Giants is further proof that both of these players are team killers. Both of them need to learn that the first place they should point their finger is at the mirror BEFORE ever pointing it at anybody else.
You guys can make fun of Collins all you want  
Blue The Dog : 9/19/2019 8:31 am : link
But his concerns send pretty valid, in that gettleman never spoke to him, and he felt disrespected by being lumped in with being called a distraction.

But the bigger point is, when have you heard this many players hate a former GM? I don't think I've ever seen this in the NFL and it's across 2 trans me that multiple players feel disrespected and lied to the way Gettleman has handled them. You can think whatever you want about each individual case, but stuff like that gets around the league and player circles. Everyone talks about how much cap space we will have next year, well stuff like this could hurt our chances with the top tier free agents, or at least cause is to pay an "asshole tax," if you will.

If in your industry, there was an employer that everyone who left had terrible things to say about the boss, wouldn't you be less likely to work for them, or at least require higher compensation to do so?
RE: Say what you will  
Hades07 : 9/19/2019 8:32 am : link
In comment 14587217 madeinstars said:
Quote:
Collins may talk too much, but this does not reflect well on Gettleman. Stuff like this:

"If you canít pay me, you canít keep me, or Iím not what youíre looking for with your future, all right. Just let me know. Itís all good. I havenít talked to this man not one time. The handling of it was horrible.Ē

And:

Once he came out and started talking about how we were problems, and they got rid of the problems, Iím trying to figure out: When have I ever been a problem?Ē Collins said. ďDonít group me in something that I wasnít the cause of."

Is just a bad look. All in all it paints a picture as Gettleman as a real cowardly douchebag.

Now I can handle a cowardly douchebag as a GM, if he delivers wins, but if he can't even do that...
ok, so which is true? If Collins is calling DG a liar, he must have spoken with him. If he has never spoken to him, how can he know if he has lied. Either way, Collins isn't being truthful here. Ironic based on his accusation.
RE: RE: Say what you will  
madeinstars : 9/19/2019 8:36 am : link
In comment 14587272 Hades07 said:
Quote:
In comment 14587217 madeinstars said:


Quote:


Collins may talk too much, but this does not reflect well on Gettleman. Stuff like this:

"If you canít pay me, you canít keep me, or Iím not what youíre looking for with your future, all right. Just let me know. Itís all good. I havenít talked to this man not one time. The handling of it was horrible.Ē

And:

Once he came out and started talking about how we were problems, and they got rid of the problems, Iím trying to figure out: When have I ever been a problem?Ē Collins said. ďDonít group me in something that I wasnít the cause of."

Is just a bad look. All in all it paints a picture as Gettleman as a real cowardly douchebag.

Now I can handle a cowardly douchebag as a GM, if he delivers wins, but if he can't even do that...


ok, so which is true? If Collins is calling DG a liar, he must have spoken with him. If he has never spoken to him, how can he know if he has lied. Either way, Collins isn't being truthful here. Ironic based on his accusation.


Uuuh... could be refering to things DG said ABOUT him... Not that hard to understand, I thought?
RE: Why does the media stir this shit up?  
madeinstars : 9/19/2019 8:37 am : link
In comment 14587268 cjac said:
Quote:
and why does everyone hate Gettleman?


Because he's an asshole and his track record as a GM is very questionable?
RE: This is a trend with Gettleman..  
Britt in VA : 9/19/2019 8:44 am : link
In comment 14587257 Sean said:
Quote:
& it is part of the job. On the flip side, wasnít it the right move to move on from Smith and Norman in Carolina? Also, DG didnít slap the franchise tag on Collins - shouldnít be appreciate that?


This is right.
RE: Is is not abundantly evident that Gettleman is an asshole?  
jcn56 : 9/19/2019 8:46 am : link
In comment 14587267 Tesla said:
Quote:
Just look at the way he handles himself in the media. Mocking orginazations that believe in analytics (the same orgs that have been kicking our asses for years, btw), reminding everyone how brilliant he is because he went to 7 Super Bowls (2 as a scout, LOL), and his dismissive attitude towards anyone who disagrees with him.

These comments from players merely confirm that he's an a-hole.

As others have said, be a dick all you want, but you better back it up with wins. So far, he's not looking too smart.


I don't care if he comes off as an asshole.

My problem is he normally doesn't sound very smart. A lot of the things he says are just plain stupid. Either because he's trying to be funny, or because he thinks he's smarter than everyone in the room.

For an organization that launched Parcells to forget that you 'are what your record says you are', some humility would be in order.

I also think people expect teamwork from the players, but somehow refuse to hold the leadership of the team accountable for their behavior. Being a good leader means breaking the hard news sometimes, like telling Landon Collins to his face that although he was a good player for the team, you've decided to go a different route.

Nothing excuses Collins from acting like a jilted lover after he left, but a lot of these players seem to have the same recurring complaints about Gettleman, and now that spans two organizations. Either all of these guys are whiny assholes, or maybe they have a point about Gettleman.

And before anyone's quick to dismiss that, just remember - money talks, but trust is important. Given a similar opportunity in two different organizations, a player will use intangibles to make their decision. If they don't trust the man in charge, that decision becomes pretty simple.
This is pretty  
Gregorio : 9/19/2019 8:48 am : link
Damning for Gettleman. It directly attacks his integrity. When 1 ex player gripes, you can write it off, but When multiple players do itís a pattern.
I'm not at all concerned about the league  
USAF NYG Fan : 9/19/2019 8:49 am : link
divas (Norman, Smith, Collins, OBJ) that have come out and complained about DG cutting them loose. If that means other divas will think twice about signing with the Giants, GOOD! I don't want them here.

Dave Gettleman, Diva Remover. I'm good with that.
How can Collins claim Gettleman's a liar when he said that Gettleman  
Ira : 9/19/2019 8:49 am : link
never spoke to him.
I donít remember DG singling out anyone specifically as bad actors  
BillT : 9/19/2019 8:52 am : link
He spoke about that in general. Isnít Collins assuming DG was talking about him when he said he got rid of guys who were a problem. Collins FA was after that. I never thought DG even intimated Collins was a problem or part of that. Thatís Collinsí take not what DG said about him.
We knew this about gettleman from his carolina days  
nygiants16 : 9/19/2019 8:54 am : link
the reason hr was fired was because he wanted to get rid of the old vets and go young and the owner said no...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 | Show All |  Next>>
Back to the Corner