Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Gariner Minshew- I don't watch much college football

Batenhorst : 9/20/2019 10:22 am
but last year happened to tune into a Washingston State game.
Everyone was all over the QB from Oregon at the time Justin Herbert

I was amazed by Minshew and could not understand why he was not being mentioned as a top prospect. He reminded me of Romo in style.

Shows how hard it is to mine for QBs in the college ranks

Maybe Coughlin happened to see that same game

Hope our rookie QB comes out firing like this guy
I’d suggest playing for Mike Leach  
LauderdaleMatty : 9/20/2019 10:25 am : link
Helped a lot. Good story. Also IMO Foles is fools Gold. That D is pretty loaded. If Founette stays Healthy they can win that division.
Moxie  
Lines of Scrimmage : 9/20/2019 10:28 am : link
That is what they said last night Coughlin liked.

Mike Leach is a incredible coach. I know he has the locking the player in the shed thing which seemed strange all around but he is outstanding. I wonder what he could do in a big program or NFL which I think he would fare very well.
Romo is a good comp.  
Section331 : 9/20/2019 10:29 am : link
I'm not saying Minshew will be as good, but their playing styles and strengths/weaknesses are similar. Minshew wasn't a top prospect because nothing about him jumped out at you. He's not a workout warrior who will run a 4.5 40 or press 30 reps, nor does he have a Josh Allen fastball. But he is really smart, his arm is good enough to make all of the throws, and, most importantly, he is really calm in the pocket.
I'm not an expert  
X : 9/20/2019 10:32 am : link
but look at what the kid went through. He didn't have any D1 offers out of HS, went to a CC and then started getting some lower D1 interest. After another year even Saban wanted him at Bama. That should tell you something. Minshew is a winner
What I find interesting is that the list of late firsts  
Chris684 : 9/20/2019 10:37 am : link
and non first round draft pick QBs starting and/or and having success in the league keeps going up.

Brady
Russ Wilson
Dak
Foles/Minshew (small sample size for Minshew)
Lamar Jackson
Dalton
Brees/Teddy B
Cousins
Derek Carr
Jimmy G.
Brissett

That's roughly 1/3 of the league.
RE: Moxie  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 9/20/2019 10:44 am : link
In comment 14589382 Lines of Scrimmage said:
Quote:
That is what they said last night Coughlin liked.

Mike Leach is a incredible coach. I know he has the locking the player in the shed thing which seemed strange all around but he is outstanding. I wonder what he could do in a big program or NFL which I think he would fare very well.

Saint Tommy strikes again! Hopefully DJ8 can keep pace with the legendary Gardiner Minschew.
RE: What I find interesting is that the list of late firsts  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 9/20/2019 10:47 am : link
In comment 14589406 Chris684 said:
Quote:
and non first round draft pick QBs starting and/or and having success in the league keeps going up.

Brady
Russ Wilson
Dak
Foles/Minshew (small sample size for Minshew)
Lamar Jackson
Dalton
Brees/Teddy B
Cousins
Derek Carr
Jimmy G.
Brissett

That's roughly 1/3 of the league.

That SF bum rookie qb they dragged out the gutter Mullens had a somewhat respectable year last year.

Better numbers than bbi's favorite qb Darnold on an equally retched team.
Minshew  
Scott in Montreal : 9/20/2019 10:50 am : link
had a great season last year with the Cougars. I watched most of their games.

Leach contacted Minshew and told him that if he came to the Cougars he would lead the country in passing. I am pretty sure he did.

Leach's offenses are QB friendly which is one of the reasons (along with his accuracy and height) that Minshew dropped a low as he did. Before the draft. I really wanted the Giants to take him.

I hope he continues to do well.

Not so easy to judge and project  
JonC : 9/20/2019 10:59 am : link
how a college player will perform in the NFL, because the talent disparity and speed of the game are much faster.

Mariota was one of the best college QBs I've seen in 40 years, and he's been average at best in the NFL.
RE: Not so easy to judge and project  
Zeke's Alibi : 9/20/2019 11:02 am : link
In comment 14589448 JonC said:
Quote:
how a college player will perform in the NFL, because the talent disparity and speed of the game are much faster.

Mariota was one of the best college QBs I've seen in 40 years, and he's been average at best in the NFL.


Oregon made it easy for him while he was there, but he clearly doesn't have the processing speed to be a good NFL QB. I thought him and Jameis were the most overrated QBs to come out in a while, although I thought Jameis had a chance to be the next Eli Manning. Guess he'll get one year under Arians to turn it around, but doesn't look like that will come to fruition.
I agree 100% with the OP  
LG in NYC : 9/20/2019 11:12 am : link
I even asked about GM a few times on this site b/c I couldn't understand why he was not being talked about more.

all the guy did was look awesome every time I tuned in, and now he is doing it on Sunday's (or Thursday's).

good for him; nice story.
RE: Moxie  
mattlawson : 9/20/2019 11:14 am : link
In comment 14589382 Lines of Scrimmage said:
Quote:
That is what they said last night Coughlin liked.

Mike Leach is a incredible coach. I know he has the locking the player in the shed thing which seemed strange all around but he is outstanding. I wonder what he could do in a big program or NFL which I think he would fare very well.



I heard this too. Essentially impressed Coughlin with his attitude. That's a character trait coach always appreciated in players. Bradshaw, Tuck, JPP come to mind. They didn't always work out (projects) but the ones that did were key pieces to the team and culture.
Minshew looked good at the senior bowl  
90.Cal : 9/20/2019 11:17 am : link
.
RE: Moxie  
Scott in Montreal : 9/20/2019 11:36 am : link
In comment 14589382 Lines of Scrimmage said:
Quote:
Mike Leach is a incredible coach. I know he has the locking the player in the shed thing which seemed strange all around but he is outstanding.


Leach IMHO is one of the greatest offensive football minds ever.

The funniest thing that came out of that whole Craig James war of words nonsense with his son Adam and Mike Leach was the whole CJK5H thing.

After Craig James tried to use his pull at ESPN to get Leach fired. Leach was signing books with that and it went viral. There was signs at the games, t-shirts, hashtags.

The whole Adam Craig saga (although never proven to be 100% true) is a blotch on Leach's record but did supply some laughs and in the end Leach moved on and is still successfully coaching.
CJK5H - ( New Window )
Lamar Jackson was a FIRST Round Pick  
ZogZerg : 9/20/2019 11:43 am : link
and Minshew is being way over-hyped at this point.

Carr and Breese were just about first round picks. Brady has been in the league 20 years. Maybe just go back 10 years and see what you get.
Some perspective..  
BSIMatt : 9/20/2019 11:44 am : link
People have been complaining about Eli checking it down, and not getting the ball downfield. Eli's average depth of target is 7.2 yards, and his average air yards per completion
(distance ball travels past line of scrimmage) is 5.8. 233 of his 556 passing yards are yac(41%).

For comparison, Minshew's average depth of target is 4 yards, and his average air yards per completion is 4 yards. 435 of his 692 passing yards are from yac(62%)

YAC helps quarterbacks.

Last year we averaged 5.7 yac per completion, this year it has dropped to 4.2. Minshew is averaging 6.7 yac per completion.

Your going to be pretty efficient throwing 4 yard passes and getting that much yardage after.
He looks ok, I think that we need to see a lot  
barens : 9/20/2019 11:49 am : link
More before we even begin to compare him to Tony Romo.

The guy is not exactly putting up pinball type of numbers and points.

The Jags got their OLT back last night, the defense was lights out, and their receivers are much better than advertised. Think we should slow our roll with the praise
RE: Lamar Jackson was a FIRST Round Pick  
Chris684 : 9/20/2019 11:49 am : link
In comment 14589521 ZogZerg said:
Quote:
and Minshew is being way over-hyped at this point.

Carr and Breese were just about first round picks. Brady has been in the league 20 years. Maybe just go back 10 years and see what you get.


I'm aware. As was Teddy B, which is why I said late firsts and non-first round picks.

Also, if you go back just 10 years, you're only removing 2 names from that list.

You could also note that Pittsburgh, who just lost Ben, are going with a mid-rounder in Rudolph, while at the same time trading away their 2019 first. Seems logical they like him enough to attempt to move forward with him post Ben.
Makes you wonder if some these NFL  
Batenhorst : 9/20/2019 12:00 pm : link
"Geniuses" are really smarter than we are.

Minshew had NFL written all over him to me

Why? Because of his decision making and accuracy.

The scouts seem to rely more upon physical capabilities and pedigree. With that guage you wind up with a Mariotta, Bridgewater, Darnold, Winston or Cam Newton. OK but ehhhh, no SBs from that group.
Darnold is a work in progress but so far I'm not jumping up and down. Jets are cursed.

I think sometimes the GMs see what we see but are afraid to be ridiculed or fired because they didnt draft the people the mock drafts were telling them to.

Coughlin made this call but he waited til the 6th round. Sounds like he was hedging his bet a bit.

You have to hand it to Gettleman and Shurmur. They liked what they saw and ignored the "Fransesca-type" herd. From my viewpoint only Walther Football was telling them to pull the trigger at #6. They said Jones was likely going in the 1st round, the Giants could not afford to gamble he would still be there. Only time will tell, and the other 26 teams behind them are not talking.
RE: RE: Lamar Jackson was a FIRST Round Pick  
ZogZerg : 9/20/2019 12:01 pm : link
In comment 14589536 Chris684 said:
Quote:
In comment 14589521 ZogZerg said:


Quote:


and Minshew is being way over-hyped at this point.

Carr and Breese were just about first round picks. Brady has been in the league 20 years. Maybe just go back 10 years and see what you get.



I'm aware. As was Teddy B, which is why I said late firsts and non-first round picks.

Also, if you go back just 10 years, you're only removing 2 names from that list.

You could also note that Pittsburgh, who just lost Ben, are going with a mid-rounder in Rudolph, while at the same time trading away their 2019 first. Seems logical they like him enough to attempt to move forward with him post Ben.


Big Ben is signed through 2021. So, trading a 2020 1 doesn't mean they are 100% sold on their QB. What is your point exactly with your list? Why is a late first rounder not considered a first rounder? So, not every NFL team has a top 10 drafted QB starting for them? We all know this. It has been this way for ever. Rodgers was drafted at like 25, why isn't he on this list?
Minshew doens't need a strong arm  
Stan in LA : 9/20/2019 12:06 pm : link
All he does is throw 4 yard dump-offs.
RE: Minshew doens't need a strong arm  
figgy2989 : 9/20/2019 12:13 pm : link
In comment 14589573 Stan in LA said:
Quote:
All he does is throw 4 yard dump-offs.


Yeah that 2nd TD to Chark was a dump off. Never change Stan, never change.
Did you guys hear the story about how when he originally enrolled  
figgy2989 : 9/20/2019 12:16 pm : link
at ECU and after playing in a game was worried about losing a year of eligibility by not be able to red shirt?

[quote]And man, I started looking around at what I could do, what my options were, and the only thing I could do was to get a medical redshirt. But if I played in this next game, then that would be off the table. So, you know, I get an idea. I go home and I grab a bottle of Jack Daniels and I grab a hammer. I go back in my room, I take a pull of the Jack Daniels, put my hand down on the table, and…. BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! 1…. 2…… 3……[quote]
Dude is Crazy - ( New Window )
RE: Minshew doens't need a strong arm  
UConn4523 : 9/20/2019 12:19 pm : link
In comment 14589573 Stan in LA said:
Quote:
All he does is throw 4 yard dump-offs.


Haha, man you really are the best. Go watch yesterday’s highlightd, he threw downfield all game long. I counted at least 6 or 7 passes alone that travelled what seemed like 20+ yards.
He completed 4 passes over 10 yards last night  
BSIMatt : 9/20/2019 12:47 pm : link
2 over 20.
He completed 14 passes of about 5 yards past the los  
BSIMatt : 9/20/2019 12:48 pm : link
or less.
Mariotta should run more and take more chances  
djm : 9/20/2019 12:53 pm : link
But only when necessary. He’s got a good team around him so I don’t blame the guy for playing a conservative style but at some point you’re going to have to light up a big team in a big spot. Living to fight another day only takes you so far. And mariotta has a lot of game breaking ability. Use it.
He is  
mdthedream : 9/20/2019 12:59 pm : link
Uncle Rico!
miscounted  
BSIMatt : 9/20/2019 1:01 pm : link
He had 5 passes over 10 yards, and 3 over 20..one of which went for a TD.

14 passes about under 5 yards, with an additional 7-8 yard completion that went for a TD.

Going 5-7 beyond 10 yards is excellent though.
i was actually just reading that  
UConn4523 : 9/20/2019 1:05 pm : link
and was going to say that can't be right. I watched his highlights, he had 2 20 yarders on the first drive alone.

They had a lead, Fournette was getting stuffed and he passed him a bunch of stuff underneath - that's kind of the gamescript he was working with. He's still right in the middle of the league in yards per pass, and seems to be highly efficient. His ball placement looked really good yesterday (I did not watch him last week).

The young WR's look to be atleast decent but he doesn't have some elite WR corps.
Nextgen stats has passing charts  
BSIMatt : 9/20/2019 1:09 pm : link
That shows you were the QB is throwing the ball on the field, which is pretty cool. That's what I was looking at, and completely missed his two touchdown passes because the TDs show in blue.
Mishew passing chart - ( New Window )
RE: He is  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 9/20/2019 1:31 pm : link
In comment 14589693 mdthedream said:
Quote:
Uncle Rico!

Can't believe this is a Saint Tommy guy.

RE: RE: Not so easy to judge and project  
robbieballs2003 : 9/21/2019 5:24 am : link
In comment 14589453 Zeke's Alibi said:
Quote:
In comment 14589448 JonC said:


Quote:


how a college player will perform in the NFL, because the talent disparity and speed of the game are much faster.

Mariota was one of the best college QBs I've seen in 40 years, and he's been average at best in the NFL.



Oregon made it easy for him while he was there, but he clearly doesn't have the processing speed to be a good NFL QB. I thought him and Jameis were the most overrated QBs to come out in a while, although I thought Jameis had a chance to be the next Eli Manning. Guess he'll get one year under Arians to turn it around, but doesn't look like that will come to fruition.


I was a big Mariota fan but injuries and constant changing of offenses hindered him. It doesn't mean he would have been a super star but watch Mariota is a real life How Not To book on bringing along a QB. I know people want Shurmur gone but I don't agree with that. Change for the sake of change is actually bad when you talk about having a young QB develop. You can fine exceptions where a QB had multiple offenses early in his vareer and succeeded but it isn't ideal. I haven't been impressed with Shurmur and I was one that wanted him. However, he will 100% be brought back to work with Daniel Jones. He gets at least this year and next year with him imo.
The main one that pops out to me is Goff.  
robbieballs2003 : 9/21/2019 5:39 am : link
He had douchebag as a HC and had no clue what he was doing. Completely overrated and getting McVay was a huge upgrade. The thing about Shurmur is he was mostly hired to develop our next QB and he'll get an opportunity to do so. If Shurmur is canned after 2020 and he left us with a bunch of early picks and a developed franchise QB then that is a win in my book. The next coach hired steps into a great sitiation then imo with high picks, a franchise QB, and cap room.
RE: The main one that pops out to me is Goff.  
Big Blue '56 : 9/21/2019 6:00 am : link
In comment 14590298 robbieballs2003 said:
Quote:
He had douchebag as a HC and had no clue what he was doing. Completely overrated and getting McVay was a huge upgrade. The thing about Shurmur is he was mostly hired to develop our next QB and he'll get an opportunity to do so. If Shurmur is canned after 2020 and he left us with a bunch of early picks and a developed franchise QB then that is a win in my book. The next coach hired steps into a great sitiation then imo with high picks, a franchise QB, and cap room.


Excellent post, because I tend to agree..:)
Watching Minshew the other night  
Phil in Joisey : 9/21/2019 7:55 am : link
I kept hoping Jones looks that good on Sunday.
The kid was terrific. Very impressive in every way.
The current Washington St  
santacruzom : 9/21/2019 4:36 pm : link
QB certainly doesn't look like a slouch either.
Back to the Corner