for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Transcript: Defensive Coordinator James Bettcher

Eric from BBI : Admin : 9/26/2019 3:14 pm
Defensive Coordinator James Bettcher -- September 26, 2019

Opening Statement: Had really two outstanding days of practice, I think this group is working intentionally and working with a purpose and I know that thereís repetition in that, but how you get better is repetition, thatís how you improve. Thereís a process to getting better at anything you do, and that process is identifying the problem, working the solution, and working with a purpose at practice. When I say that to you, understand what we are saying to our players is: to have better pad level, you go work underneath the shoots, then you take working underneath the shoots to individual run period or team run period. Same thing with any technique a corner has to improve at, any technique a linebacker has to improve at and thatís how young players get better and thatís how vets sharpen tools and vets get better, too, is intentful purpose. We have a good challenge this week. Regardless of the quarterback that plays, weíll have a plan for however that unfolds. I think our guys are anxious to play a division game at home.

Q: When you look back at the last two second halves of the last two games, is this an adjustment you and your staff are making, or are your players just playing better?
A: If there was a magic pill for that answer, I would 100 percent already give it to you. The truth to the matter is this, we have to call things better, we have to coach things better in the position meeting rooms and we have to execute better. Thatís both scheme, thatís technique, thatís eyes, those things have to occur for us to play more consistent. You might ask me about Jack (Jackrabbit) and his performance, it falls on not one person. When Jackís in coverage, someone has to rush better, someone has to win a one on one. I maybe have to make a better call so heís in a better position. Then, ultimately, him or anyone else in coverage has to play with better technique. Thatís the true solution, thatís how you get better.

Q: What did you see from DeAndre Baker? He held Godwin in check.
A: Last week, I know I mentioned when we were talking about having a prescription for our players and really identifying two to three things that our guys are going to work on to get better at. We came in our defensive group meeting yesterday and I started asking guys around the room, this week what are your three things. Dex, Bake whatís your three things. I think heís done a good job at identifying three things, working with his position coach, individual, watching tape and trying to identify things he can improve in his game and thatís the process to getting better, thatís the process to getting better at anything you do.

Q: Is your scheme predicated on Jackrabbit, or whoever that elite corner is, not needing help?
A: I wouldnít say that fully. I think thereís certainly times when you look at what you want to do from a scheme standpoint on defense, you might say this is a guy that has a tough down, or this is where more help will go on this particular call. Then you have some other calls that are more balanced in what you do. Certainly, in that game, I tried to call some of those balanced things at times and thereís other times weíre calling some things either to try to rush the quarterback, create some one on ones, which in other places that creates other one on ones. Solely no, but thereís certainly times where whatever the call may deem that to be the case.

Q: If it kept hurting you in the second half, would you have had to go to something?
A: I think some of the stuff we did in the second half, I think, balanced the coverages. I think some other stuff didnít and we just played better. I think if you went call by call, play by play, in the second half, you maybe see some snaps where it was Jack or whoever it was, there was still some one on ones and there was still some one on ones in our rushes. I think itís having a good balance and mix, and I think the process to improvement starts with me, to our position coaches, to our players taking ownership of those fundamentals and techniques we have to get better at.

Q: What is your concern level with Janoris?
A: Honestly, I donít have concern, I donít have concern about any of our players, as long as they are working the process. I think Jack is doing that, I think he is coming to practice, I saw it today, heís diving to knock balls away, heís competing, heís working on fundamentals and techniques in individual, heís all in on fixing what he needs to fix. The truth is, heís not the only one. On some of those snaps, his technique might not have been as good as he would want it to be, but thereís maybe a rusher or two that their technique wasnít as good, either. Weíre coaching all of those guys, not just one.

Q: Are you any closer to getting some snaps for Corey Ballentine?
A: I think play time will always reveal itself on Sunday.

Q: Were you encouraged by the play of some of your younger players?
A: Absolutely, I think that goes back to the question that was asked about Bake earlier, how his progress is. I think itís again, one, our players taking ownership of the things they have to get better at, us trying to identify it as coaches and having purposeful work to try to get better at those things. Itís a continued process and thatís how young players get better, they have to practice, they have to work those techniques that they have to improve at, whatever they might be. We have to make sure as coaches that we are identifying them and being part of the solution.

Q: How much does the league ranking irk you? Do you use it as a source of motivation, especially the pass defense?
A: At the end of the day, I look at things, I want to be part of the solution and thatís all I care about. The numbers are the numbers, they reveal some things and other things that they donít tell maybe the full story. Iíve been where we have been at the top of all those numbers as a coordinator and again Iíll tell you, these guys are working hard and working with a lot of intent on getting the things corrected. Whether itís scheming a call or whether itís fundamentals and techniques.

Q: Why havenít we seen Jabrill Peppers make the impact plays that Iím sure you and the team envisioned when you acquired him?
A: I think Jabrill has played extremely hard. When I go back and look at it, I donít see the ball going his way a ton. I think there were a couple completions, if I remember last week. I also remember a throw in the endzone where heís in great tight coverage on a really talented tight end, big long guy. I see a guy thatís competing is butt off and heís working just as hard as anyone else to get better with his game.
Questions focused on DB's, coverages,  
flycatcher : 9/26/2019 3:44 pm : link
but no mention of Bethea - you'd think that in a discussion about coverages the FS would be included. TV should show us more of what happens in the secondary.
We will have to wait and see if this defense improves.  
Dinger : 9/26/2019 4:36 pm : link
I understand there are some young players in key positions, but we have a couple of veterans and this is Bettchers defense. We have and have had a few of his former Cardinal players here. They don't seem to be any better than the rookies or the other vets.
Over the course of two years you think you would see improvement. last year we had 2 games where we held the opponent to less than 20 points; The Titans who just ran the ball all day in a rainy sloppy mess of a game and the Redskins. Besides never dominating a game (MAYBE they dominated that Redskins game) they could never make the stop when they had to(and still can't). Does he not call the correct defense on third down? Does he not put our players in the best position to make a stop? Is his scheme too complex? A year and a half in and it seems so.
As exciting as Jones is, watching this team will be tougher because as much as Jones may improve the offense, this defense will give it right back, especially against capable teams/kickers.
RE: We will have to wait and see if this defense improves.  
Big Blue '56 : 9/26/2019 4:43 pm : link
In comment 14601156 Dinger said:
Quote:
I understand there are some young players in key positions, but we have a couple of veterans and this is Bettchers defense. We have and have had a few of his former Cardinal players here. They don't seem to be any better than the rookies or the other vets.
Over the course of two years you think you would see improvement. last year we had 2 games where we held the opponent to less than 20 points; The Titans who just ran the ball all day in a rainy sloppy mess of a game and the Redskins. Besides never dominating a game (MAYBE they dominated that Redskins game) they could never make the stop when they had to(and still can't). Does he not call the correct defense on third down? Does he not put our players in the best position to make a stop? Is his scheme too complex? A year and a half in and it seems so.
As exciting as Jones is, watching this team will be tougher because as much as Jones may improve the offense, this defense will give it right back, especially against capable teams/kickers.


Itís not two seasons. Itís one injury riddled season and 3 games
RE: RE: We will have to wait and see if this defense improves.  
Dinger : 9/26/2019 4:46 pm : link
In comment 14601164 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
In comment 14601156 Dinger said:


Quote:


I understand there are some young players in key positions, but we have a couple of veterans and this is Bettchers defense. We have and have had a few of his former Cardinal players here. They don't seem to be any better than the rookies or the other vets.
Over the course of two years you think you would see improvement. last year we had 2 games where we held the opponent to less than 20 points; The Titans who just ran the ball all day in a rainy sloppy mess of a game and the Redskins. Besides never dominating a game (MAYBE they dominated that Redskins game) they could never make the stop when they had to(and still can't). Does he not call the correct defense on third down? Does he not put our players in the best position to make a stop? Is his scheme too complex? A year and a half in and it seems so.
As exciting as Jones is, watching this team will be tougher because as much as Jones may improve the offense, this defense will give it right back, especially against capable teams/kickers.



Itís not two seasons. Itís one injury riddled season and 3 games


Ok so is there something you have seen during ANY of the 19 regular season games that has made you say, wow this is a great defensive scheme?
RE: RE: RE: We will have to wait and see if this defense improves.  
Big Blue '56 : 9/26/2019 4:52 pm : link
In comment 14601169 Dinger said:
Quote:
In comment 14601164 Big Blue '56 said:


Quote:


In comment 14601156 Dinger said:


Quote:


I understand there are some young players in key positions, but we have a couple of veterans and this is Bettchers defense. We have and have had a few of his former Cardinal players here. They don't seem to be any better than the rookies or the other vets.
Over the course of two years you think you would see improvement. last year we had 2 games where we held the opponent to less than 20 points; The Titans who just ran the ball all day in a rainy sloppy mess of a game and the Redskins. Besides never dominating a game (MAYBE they dominated that Redskins game) they could never make the stop when they had to(and still can't). Does he not call the correct defense on third down? Does he not put our players in the best position to make a stop? Is his scheme too complex? A year and a half in and it seems so.
As exciting as Jones is, watching this team will be tougher because as much as Jones may improve the offense, this defense will give it right back, especially against capable teams/kickers.



Itís not two seasons. Itís one injury riddled season and 3 games



Ok so is there something you have seen during ANY of the 19 regular season games that has made you say, wow this is a great defensive scheme?


Not yet. But his Defenses in Az were very good and ranked well for most of his stay there. He didnít suddenly lose it. Iíll continue to be patient with the kids. Weíll need LB and some ER help in the 2020 draft.
Not going to read it.  
mittenedman : 9/26/2019 4:58 pm : link
It's put up or shut up time for Bettcher. This is the NY Giants D. Be good or go.

Is this coaching staff good enough to consistently outcoach the opposition?
It's not just on Jenkins?  
RobCarpenter : 9/26/2019 5:06 pm : link
And other players "need to win their one on ones"?

Seemed as if these big completions were on blitzes when Jenkins gave Evans a cushion and Evans still got behind him. Leaving him in man coverage with Evans was simply a mistake.
RE: It's not just on Jenkins?  
Big Blue '56 : 9/26/2019 5:21 pm : link
In comment 14601188 RobCarpenter said:
Quote:
And other players "need to win their one on ones"?

Seemed as if these big completions were on blitzes when Jenkins gave Evans a cushion and Evans still got behind him. Leaving him in man coverage with Evans was simply a mistake.


And/or the S over the top screwed up and Bettcher Didnít want to throw him under the bus
'Had really two outstanding days of practice'  
Torrag : 9/26/2019 6:11 pm : link
STFU. So tired of this BS 'good practice' mantra.

Maybe, just maybe if this staff stopped blowing sunshine up this teams ass all week they'd showup on gameday ready to play.
RE: 'Had really two outstanding days of practice'  
5BowlsSoon : 9/26/2019 6:47 pm : link
In comment 14601243 Torrag said:
Quote:
STFU. So tired of this BS 'good practice' mantra.

Maybe, just maybe if this staff stopped blowing sunshine up this teams ass all week they'd showup on gameday ready to play.


I disagree with you here. Iím encouraged to read we had two good days of practice. That tells me the young guys are starting to get it.....it takes time.

We all can see the improvement this past week by:
1. Baker....good job on Godwin
2. Peppers.....held their TEs in check (one long one was on Haley)
3. Lawrence.....getting into backfield more
4. Connelly....what more can I say?
5. Xman and Golden.....getting it done

As you can see, itís not all bad.....baby steps......and who knows, maybe Ballentine, Love, and Beal begin to shine as the season progresses

Iíve not given up on our defense......
RE: RE: 'Had really two outstanding days of practice'  
BillT : 9/26/2019 7:30 pm : link
In comment 14601270 5BowlsSoon said:
Quote:
In comment 14601243 Torrag said:


Quote:


STFU. So tired of this BS 'good practice' mantra.

Maybe, just maybe if this staff stopped blowing sunshine up this teams ass all week they'd showup on gameday ready to play.



I disagree with you here. Iím encouraged to read we had two good days of practice. That tells me the young guys are starting to get it.....it takes time.

We all can see the improvement this past week by:
1. Baker....good job on Godwin
2. Peppers.....held their TEs in check (one long one was on Haley)
3. Lawrence.....getting into backfield more
4. Connelly....what more can I say?
5. Xman and Golden.....getting it done

As you can see, itís not all bad.....baby steps......and who knows, maybe Ballentine, Love, and Beal begin to shine as the season progresses

Iíve not given up on our defense......

5 Bowls, this kind of reasonable, measured take will win you few friends here.
RE: RE: RE: 'Had really two outstanding days of practice'  
5BowlsSoon : 9/26/2019 8:11 pm : link
In comment 14601303 BillT said:
Quote:
In comment 14601270 5BowlsSoon said:


Quote:


In comment 14601243 Torrag said:


Quote:


STFU. So tired of this BS 'good practice' mantra.

Maybe, just maybe if this staff stopped blowing sunshine up this teams ass all week they'd showup on gameday ready to play.



I disagree with you here. Iím encouraged to read we had two good days of practice. That tells me the young guys are starting to get it.....it takes time.

We all can see the improvement this past week by:
1. Baker....good job on Godwin
2. Peppers.....held their TEs in check (one long one was on Haley)
3. Lawrence.....getting into backfield more
4. Connelly....what more can I say?
5. Xman and Golden.....getting it done

As you can see, itís not all bad.....baby steps......and who knows, maybe Ballentine, Love, and Beal begin to shine as the season progresses

Iíve not given up on our defense......


5 Bowls, this kind of reasonable, measured take will win you few friends here.


Lol....Iím not here to win votes....or to run for office.

I know there are always two sides to every coin, so I try to make sure the other side of the coin ( the one I feel strongly about) gets thrown out there for people to consider.

If they still reject it, thatís okay, because I support free will and the right to choose!

Thanks for the kind words, BillT! 😉
RE: 'Had really two outstanding days of practice'  
LakeGeorgeGiant : 9/26/2019 8:14 pm : link
In comment 14601243 Torrag said:
Quote:
STFU. So tired of this BS 'good practice' mantra.

Maybe, just maybe if this staff stopped blowing sunshine up this teams ass all week they'd showup on gameday ready to play.


What else is he supposed to say to the public? and how does what he says to the media have anything to do with what he's saying the the team behind closed doors?
At least  
MotownGIANTS : 9/26/2019 8:57 pm : link
it looks like he is adjusting better and getting better execution. Now can they build on that? Start getting off the field on 3rd down.
RE: At least  
MotownGIANTS : 9/26/2019 8:58 pm : link
In comment 14601429 MotownGIANTS said:
Quote:
it looks like he is adjusting better and getting better execution. Now can they build on that? Start getting off the field on 3rd down.



"consistently"
Betcher needs time  
Gettledogman : 9/27/2019 12:19 am : link
and more players -he has very little at LB a secondary that is young and learning on the fly. Still need a safety and he also needs pass rushers too. Its a jumbled mess right now. Let Gettleman find some pieces then complain. This team needs talent everywhere 4 big pieces were added but you need more on D much more
Collins was not worth the money Sorry  
Gettledogman : 9/27/2019 12:22 am : link
Neither was OV. Losing Kennard was a mistake but these things happen during roster turnovers.
RE: RE: RE: We will have to wait and see if this defense improves.  
Leg of Theismann : 9/27/2019 2:14 am : link
In comment 14601169 Dinger said:
Quote:
In comment 14601164 Big Blue '56 said:


Quote:


In comment 14601156 Dinger said:


Quote:


I understand there are some young players in key positions, but we have a couple of veterans and this is Bettchers defense. We have and have had a few of his former Cardinal players here. They don't seem to be any better than the rookies or the other vets.
Over the course of two years you think you would see improvement. last year we had 2 games where we held the opponent to less than 20 points; The Titans who just ran the ball all day in a rainy sloppy mess of a game and the Redskins. Besides never dominating a game (MAYBE they dominated that Redskins game) they could never make the stop when they had to(and still can't). Does he not call the correct defense on third down? Does he not put our players in the best position to make a stop? Is his scheme too complex? A year and a half in and it seems so.
As exciting as Jones is, watching this team will be tougher because as much as Jones may improve the offense, this defense will give it right back, especially against capable teams/kickers.



Itís not two seasons. Itís one injury riddled season and 3 games



Ok so is there something you have seen during ANY of the 19 regular season games that has made you say, wow this is a great defensive scheme?


I absolutely remember thinking in the first half of the season last year that Bettcher's defense looked promising. The guys were playing with real heart, too, which was refreshing compared to 2017. I just remember them doing a great job of keeping teams out of the endzone for 3-3.5 quarters before getting worn down by the fact the damn offense couldn't stay on the stupid field (then they'd collapse and the story would be that they sucked awfully). But again, that was the first half of the season. By the end of the season (and after all the trades, injuries, and whatnot) they were atrocious. And they've looked atrocious for about 10 quarters of this season (plus 1 play involving Jackrabbit we shall never speak of again).

I absolutely think if they can get back to the level of play they had in the first half of last season COMBINED with the offense actually moving the ball and scoring consistently, Bettcher's D will be just fine. Problem is they don't have JPP, Snacks, Collins, Vernon, nor Apple anymore (I know people hated Apple but he was still a serviceable player to some extent).

So, basically, the young guys have to step up and get comfortable in this league and this defense quickly and then I think we'll be okay. When Bettcher has had any semblance of a stable of horses in his career he's been able to produce nicely. We have some decent young players with a lot of potential, it's just a matter of those guys progressing, getting comfortable quickly, and Bettcher tweaking things here and there to actually using each guy correctly (i.e. PUT BAKER IN FUCKIN MAN COVERAGE).

I have faith in Bettcher, I man literally just over a year ago I remember people talking about him being at risk to be snatched up for a HC position within a couple years. He has the brains and the experience, I think we just need to have some patience and see if things come together for this defense. The good news is I don't see this team (nor specifically this defense) quitting on Bettcher nor each other any time soon, especially after DJ just inspired the entire team with his real-life Rudy movie (the tall version of course haha).

Hey, having patience in D-coordinators after a poor start has paid off before (see Spags, Fewell, etc.). Everyone will say "oh well this team is nothing like those teams blah blah" , but really we didn't know how good those teams really were until everything just sort of came together and clicked. Maybe something along those lines will happen with this defense. Based on his pedigree/resume, I have faith in Bettcher to eventually right the ship.
Baby Steps  
Rocky T 71 : 9/27/2019 9:14 am : link
The pass defense against Dallas was really awful, receivers were running free in the secondary with no defender within 5 yards of them. The entire defense seemed confused about their assignments.

The Buffalo game started in a similar way, but the coverage was more hit and miss than consistently bad. A few bright spots mixed in with some glaring mistakes. The second half things tightened up and some progress was starting to show.

The first half of the TB game was bad results wise, but it seemed that defenders were in better position but still getting beat by well placed throws. I didn't see as much confusion about assignments. In the second half, we looked like a normal defense with the important exception of the last few plays. We also had a little more pressure on the quarterback than we did against Dallas.

So while the numbers are bad, we do appear to be trending in the right direction. Is it increasing familiarity with the defensive schemes and the other players on defense, or maybe coverage adjustments? Maybe a little of both. Regardless, they need to turn the small improvements into actual results and keep points off the board. Should be interesting to see if they can step up this week.
RE: Collins was not worth the money Sorry  
Big Blue '56 : 9/27/2019 10:21 am : link
In comment 14601679 Gettledogman said:
Quote:
Neither was OV. Losing Kennard was a mistake but these things happen during roster turnovers.


Disagree on Kennard (who I liked). He just couldnít stay healthy for us. We gave him lots of time to prove he could be healthy. He couldnít. If youíre running a 53 man team, how long do you continue to wait.

To me, it was the correct call, even if he finally got healthy elsewhere.
Back to the Corner