Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

NFT: NHL Reg Season in less than 1 week: Predictions & Discussion

pjcas18 : 9/27/2019 8:23 am
most teams have just 1 or 2 more pre-season games then the regular season starts.

thought I'd start a discussion thread.

Found this USA today record prediction and I think it's way off. I mean, way off.

but I'll share this and then add my commentary.

can't wait for the season to start.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 <<Prev | Show All |  Next>>
RE: ...  
Jay in Toronto : 9/27/2019 6:17 pm : link
In comment 14602082 BrettNYG10 said:
Quote:
I still think the defense will suck. Skjei was bad last year. I like Trouba a lot, and DeAngelo is obviously the best defenseman this world's ever seen, but Fox will struggle. Staal's still Staal.


Actually I thought Dangelo was good last night, including in his own end. I also think Fox will eventually be a top 4 D.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make the playoffs, unless NY moves somewhere to the west.
RE: RE: ...  
BrettNYG10 : 9/27/2019 6:41 pm : link
In comment 14602435 Jay in Toronto said:
Quote:
In comment 14602082 BrettNYG10 said:


Quote:


I still think the defense will suck. Skjei was bad last year. I like Trouba a lot, and DeAngelo is obviously the best defenseman this world's ever seen, but Fox will struggle. Staal's still Staal.



Actually I thought Dangelo was good last night, including in his own end. I also think Fox will eventually be a top 4 D.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make the playoffs, unless NY moves somewhere to the west.


I'm a huge D'Angelo fan (seriously). I think he can be a quality top four guy.

I haven't seen more than a few games of Fox. I'm thrilled to see him play. I'm just pessimistic that he'll be great year one.
RE: RE: RE: ...  
JayBinQueens : 9/27/2019 7:25 pm : link
In comment 14602445 BrettNYG10 said:
Quote:
In comment 14602435 Jay in Toronto said:


Quote:


In comment 14602082


I'm a huge D'Angelo fan (seriously). I think he can be a quality top four guy.

I haven't seen more than a few games of Fox. I'm thrilled to see him play. I'm just pessimistic that he'll be great year one.


I dont think you're being pessimistic, more realistic.

Want to do another bet this year?
The favorite going into the playoffs won't win  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 9/27/2019 7:46 pm : link
It all.
I think Fox is gonna be outstanding and worthy of top 4 time.  
yatqb : 9/28/2019 2:44 am : link
But I think that Hughes will be special, and with Hall and the rest of the Devils forwards, theyíll finish ahead of the Rangers .
Trotz has a near 2 decade streak finishing with 88+ points  
Eric on Li : 9/28/2019 9:54 am : link
I have no idea if the Isles will be better or worse this year, it's quite literally impossible to be better than 1st in overall GA like last year, but I'm confident that as long as Trotz is there they will be competitive for a playoff spot. In terms of points they have just as many candidates for positive regression to their norms (Barzal + Eberle especially) as they do for regression. Fingers crossed a few of the young guys can step in and have an impact this year the way Toews did last year (Dobson, Wahlstrom, Koivula, etc).
If the Canes new goalie tandem  
Scott in Montreal : 9/28/2019 12:26 pm : link
Holds up. They have the talent to win the division. I am not sure that Washington is going to be that strong. Solid yes. I think that they are on the downside of their run from the past few seasons. Same for the Penguins but I have wrongly said that about the Pens the last couple of seasons.

I doubt that the Habs are going to end up that high. Yes it is possible but they have to have a career season from Drouin and a couple of others and their terrible power play will suddenly have to be come a league top 5 which is highly unlikely. All will end up falling on Price like always.

The Leafs will find a way to choke and screw it up like always.



Ranger fans  
SJGiant : 9/28/2019 2:38 pm : link
What is happening with Brendan Smith this year? Is he assigned to the minors? What is the Rangers cap impact for this year if this move was done?
RE: If the Canes new goalie tandem  
pjcas18 : 9/28/2019 2:43 pm : link
In comment 14602866 Scott in Montreal said:
Quote:
Holds up. They have the talent to win the division. I am not sure that Washington is going to be that strong. Solid yes. I think that they are on the downside of their run from the past few seasons. Same for the Penguins but I have wrongly said that about the Pens the last couple of seasons.

I doubt that the Habs are going to end up that high. Yes it is possible but they have to have a career season from Drouin and a couple of others and their terrible power play will suddenly have to be come a league top 5 which is highly unlikely. All will end up falling on Price like always.

The Leafs will find a way to choke and screw it up like always.




That is the exact same record MTL had last year. Same points, ROW, ties, etc. exact same as last year.

I don't think MTL improved a lot necessarily, but they didn't get worse either - if healthy.

I think they'll be right around 96 pts again, and no idea if that's playoffs or not but plus or minus 3 or 4 pts that's where I think they'll be.

Their PP should be better with Suzuki. I never watched him much before, but man, what a cerebral player. Suzuki is what many people felt Drouin would be, but so far Suzuki hasn't done it in the NHL so we'll see if he even becomes that outside of pre-season.

RE: Ranger fans  
pjcas18 : 9/28/2019 2:51 pm : link
In comment 14602949 SJGiant said:
Quote:
What is happening with Brendan Smith this year? Is he assigned to the minors? What is the Rangers cap impact for this year if this move was done?


He's not assigned to the minors yet as far as I know (though I am not a Rangers fan).

If he's not, his cap hit remains at $4.35M.

If he's sent to the minors the most the Rangers can save is $1.075M. That's the most any team can save on any player regardless of their contract by "burying" their contract.

So if he's buried in the minors, his cap hit would be $3,275,000

the most you can save on any player is the NHL minimum contract plus $375,000 (or $700,000 + $375,000 = $1,075,000)

I'd play Smith on the 4th line. Unless he somehow decides he wants to play hockey like he's flashed before (ancient history), he was just as bad a F as he was at D, only at F he can generally do less damage with a goalie like Hank).
Yup, and the player replacing him would cost $925K, so  
yatqb : 9/28/2019 4:37 pm : link
the savings would be minimal.

Iíd prefer to keep him as a 7th defenseman and a spare forward.
NHL top 50 players  
pjcas18 : 9/30/2019 10:33 am : link
Per NHL Network



barzal would seem a major omission on that list  
Eric on Li : 9/30/2019 10:39 am : link
I mean, the last 2 years he was every bit as good and probably better than Tavares was when he was an islander. He slumped in the 20 or 30 games post ASB last year but he's been a PPG player otherwise and carried the Isles through rd 1 last year.
Hey pj  
5BowlsSoon : 9/30/2019 10:41 am : link
Your boy BRENDEN GALLAGHER should be in that list. He is a pain in the arse and plays hard every game.

My TAVERAS should be in the top 10 (small point though).
Ho-Sang  
pjcas18 : 9/30/2019 11:03 am : link
put on waivers, just shows you all the "skill" in the world doesn't always translate to the NHL.

I've heard attitude questions too, but won't claim them as true or false, since I have no idea.
Didn't Ho-Sang  
Phil in LA : 9/30/2019 11:19 am : link
fall in the draft?
Sucks, but not unexpected  
Diversify yo bonds : 9/30/2019 11:33 am : link
Ho Sang is an elite puck handler and excels at transitioning the puck with possession. It's apparent to the eye, and backed up by the fancy stats. He doesn't shoot enough, and his possession and playmaking ability never generated the amount of goals one would expect.

His defensive game is leaps and bounds better than it was, especially his hustle on the back check. Ultimately, he loses too many puck battles and makes too many unsafe decisions with the puck. It just won't be tolerated by the cabal of grinder defensive minded coaches that permeate the league.

I think the "drama" concerns are largely overblown. He was immature and outspoken, but seems to have toed the line of he last two years. It's more a story because he doesn't fit the mold of good guy vanilla quotes you see from 95% of players.

The isles really like holmstrom and Wahlstrom, so rw is really crowded now and in the future.

I hope he gets top 6 time somewhere. He's really fun to watch.
Could be some movement  
pjcas18 : 10/1/2019 7:45 am : link
today as teams maneuver to get under the cap.

I would not be surprised to see some salary dumps or bottom 6 veteran movement.
NHL and Green Day  
pjcas18 : 10/1/2019 8:09 am : link
announce two year partnership.

No idea what to think of this? Maybe an NHL song by Green Day like Hank Williams for the NFL? They will perform "opening theme" for Wednesday night hockey.

Either way, I like Green Day (a little) and I like hockey, so this can't be bad, right?

Quote:
NHL
@NHL

2m
ICYMI: @GreenDay
is set to rock Wednesday Night Hockey.
🎸
#WNH

Link - ( New Window )
RE: Hey pj  
pjcas18 : 10/1/2019 10:46 am : link
In comment 14606261 5BowlsSoon said:
Quote:
Your boy BRENDEN GALLAGHER should be in that list. He is a pain in the arse and plays hard every game.

My TAVERAS should be in the top 10 (small point though).

I love Gallagher, but not sure he's top 50, nor am I sure Tavares should be top 10 but lists are good discussion points.

FYI...Poehling sent to Laval. I think he should have stayed, but Julien is not the coach to start a season with 3 centers under 23 years old. Poehling SIGNIFICANTLY outplayed Kotkaniemi, but I guess it would be worse for KK to be sent down after sticking all last year than Poehling.

I don't expect him to be down long. Like Chytil or Kravtsov.
Predictions from moneypuck  
pjcas18 : 10/1/2019 12:57 pm : link
(a great twitter hockey follow).

Devils and Panthers strike me as too low.  
BrettNYG10 : 10/1/2019 1:19 pm : link
.
I also think Chicago is too low  
Mike in NY : 10/1/2019 1:25 pm : link
They started to make strides at the end of last season and adding Lehner gives them better insurance in goal when Crawford gets hurt. They have the offense to be a playoff team, but the question is can they keep pucks out of their net.
I think being in the East hurts  
pjcas18 : 10/1/2019 1:44 pm : link
a few teams. There is one team in the East with a 70% or > chance at the playoffs (TBL).

There are 3 in the West (LVG, SJS, STL). Heck, Calgary has a better chance at making the playoff than the Bruins.

and then winning the cup, they have teams like LVG, CAL, SJS STL, with better odds to win the cup than the Bruins.

The Bruins lost the cup in game 7 on home ice.

the Canes have better odds of winning the SC than the Bruins (probably b/c of the stupid playoff format where BOS if they come in 2nd in the Atlantic have to probably play Toronto (again).

Anyway, just one graphic, but it's great to debate.

I agree NJD, CHI, and probably NYR are all low, and some teams too high.

Fuckin Kaapo TIME!!!  
Davisian : 10/1/2019 2:00 pm : link
Fuck you Fish

RE: RE: Hey pj  
Scott in Montreal : 10/1/2019 2:33 pm : link
In comment 14607819 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
I love Gallagher, but not sure he's top 50,


Gallagher would be a top 50 player if he played on a different team in a market that the press did not badger their players every minute of every day. Montreal tends to suck the life out of players. Then they leave and seem to get a second wind.
RE: RE: RE: Hey pj  
pjcas18 : 10/1/2019 2:45 pm : link
In comment 14608273 Scott in Montreal said:
Quote:
In comment 14607819 pjcas18 said:


Quote:


I love Gallagher, but not sure he's top 50,



Gallagher would be a top 50 player if he played on a different team in a market that the press did not badger their players every minute of every day. Montreal tends to suck the life out of players. Then they leave and seem to get a second wind.


I don't know about that (second wind)

I'd rather have Weber than Subban - who is on his 2nd team since the trade.

Sergachev is falling out of favor in TB.

Galchenyuk is on his 2nd team since leaving MTL, and Domi is a budding star.

Petry became a solid top pair D.

Pacioretty had one of his worst seasons as a pro. I'd much rather have Tatar, Suzuki and the draft pick.

I can't think of many recent players who have done better when they left MTL and there has been enough of them.

And this doesn't even consider players like Byron, that MTL salvaged off the NHL scrap heap into a solid 2-way 3rd line player and PK demon.

I do agree the media in MTL is overbearing, but no different than NY or BOS for baseball (for example).
RE: RE: RE: RE: Hey pj  
Scott in Montreal : 10/1/2019 3:27 pm : link
In comment 14608301 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
Pacioretty had one of his worst seasons as a pro. I'd much rather have Tatar, Suzuki and the draft pick.

I do agree the media in MTL is overbearing, but no different than NY or BOS for baseball (for example).


Subban is an over the top kind of guy that can wear thin fast. It has nothing to do with talent or production. Weber has been more or less invisible since he got here. Also hurt or playing hurt quite a bit

Pacioretty did have a lower than usually season but it still was better (not by much) than his last year with the Habs.

You may be right. I just always see how the press here is bitching how the players are doing after they leave. The Journal de Montreal has 8-10 pages of hockey news every single day during the season and more during the playoffs. They cover everything. It is crazy

Another story about the press here. I remember back years ago. I cannot remember which player it was. I think it was a goalie. Something had happened. So one of the French news stations camped out in front of his house and was using an infrared camera to try and follow him around his house waiting to see when he was leaving. So they could get some questions in.

An all time low in Montreal hockey coverage.
MTL press is brutal  
pjcas18 : 10/1/2019 7:13 pm : link
what they've done to Carey Price is awful. The criticism is relentless even when he plays with 1 legit D in front of him and an group of forwards not exactly known for being defensively responsible.

and players either love the franchise and would do anything to play there or they simply won't go there, but I don't hear many players who have left the organization bad mouth it.

the press is another story.

And I love Subban, maybe my favorite player as a Hab, but it was not his off ice persona why he was traded, it was his on ice play.

And I disagree on Weber, he had one injury filled season, but otherwise has been a rock; definitely not invisible.

I guarantee if you go back in time knowing what you know now, MTL makes that trade 10 times out of 10, but NSH balks at it.

And I was one of the people who thought Bergevin should be fired for incompetence the day he made the trade.

but you live there (?) and maybe hear more than I can get from social media and news sources, but this is my perception.
Regular season starts tonight  
pjcas18 : 10/2/2019 8:11 am : link

Quote:
NHL Public Relations
@PR_NHL
113 days after the #StanleyCup was awarded, hockey is back.

http://NHL.com/schedule
#NHLFaceOff #NHLStats


Ty Smith sent back to juniors  
Stu11 : 10/2/2019 8:26 am : link
While this is not surprising seeing as he struggled in camp I think its a big let down. Was really looking forward to seeing him this year. Personally I would have kept him up instead of Mirco Mueller. Even as the 7th Dman I don't think our 3rd pairing is so strong that he couldn't have gotten in there 1 or 2 times a week. Hard to see what he'll gain playing every day at a level he has already mastered.
RE: MTL press is brutal  
Kyle in NY : 10/2/2019 8:27 am : link

Quote:


I guarantee if you go back in time knowing what you know now, MTL makes that trade 10 times out of 10, but NSH balks at it.



I don't think this is true. Weber has played 84 out of 164 possible games the last two seasons and is on the books through 2026 at nearly 8 million. Nashville traded Subban because of that cap crunch
.  
Kyle in NY : 10/2/2019 8:36 am : link
I still think really highly of Subban. I think the Devils got a steal as they found a team right up against the cap with a high priced player. Good job by them
RE: Ty Smith sent back to juniors  
Jay on the Island : 10/2/2019 10:26 am : link
In comment 14609070 Stu11 said:
Quote:
While this is not surprising seeing as he struggled in camp I think its a big let down. Was really looking forward to seeing him this year. Personally I would have kept him up instead of Mirco Mueller. Even as the 7th Dman I don't think our 3rd pairing is so strong that he couldn't have gotten in there 1 or 2 times a week. Hard to see what he'll gain playing every day at a level he has already mastered.

It's very disappointing. Going into camp I thought there was an excellent chance that he would be on the second pairing. I would also have kept him up for at least a 9 game trial over Mueller. Mueller better improve this season even if he's just a solid bottom pairing defender.
Malkin seems like such  
pjcas18 : 10/2/2019 12:24 pm : link
a dick and such a hard player to play against, but this is funny.

Quote:
Josh Yohe
@JoshYohe_PGH

6m
Geno Malkin was just asked how he asks Galchenyuk for the puck in Russian: ďGive me puck.Ē
Leafs  
pjcas18 : 10/2/2019 7:11 pm : link
"revoked" Auston Matthews captainship before they ever gave it to him due to incident over the summer.

Instead name Tavares captain.
RE: RE: Hey pj  
5BowlsSoon : 10/2/2019 7:42 pm : link
In comment 14607819 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
In comment 14606261 5BowlsSoon said:


Quote:


Your boy BRENDEN GALLAGHER should be in that list. He is a pain in the arse and plays hard every game.

My TAVERAS should be in the top 10 (small point though).


I love Gallagher, but not sure he's top 50, nor am I sure Tavares should be top 10 but lists are good discussion points.

FYI...Poehling sent to Laval. I think he should have stayed, but Julien is not the coach to start a season with 3 centers under 23 years old. Poehling SIGNIFICANTLY outplayed Kotkaniemi, but I guess it would be worse for KK to be sent down after sticking all last year than Poehling.

I don't expect him to be down long. Like Chytil or Kravtsov.


I agree.....Poehling missed a few weeks of practice time and is probably not at 100% coming back from that concussion. Maybe Habs donít want to play him on line 4....I donít know. Your 4th line would should be interesting if he is centering Byron and Armia.
And Brady Tkachuk  
pjcas18 : 10/2/2019 7:44 pm : link
scores the first goal of the 2019-2020 season.

Sens up on Leafs 1 - 0. Under 5 left in the first.

Many providers have a free preview of NHL Center Ice for those who may not subscribe to it - the psychopaths who don't already have NHL Center Ice.
Have no idea why the Devils  
Jay in Toronto : 10/2/2019 8:06 pm : link
are getting so little respect.

I also hope that if the Rangers don't make the playoffs, as long as there is steady development, people lay off. Gotta play the long game here. They have the makings of a long-term foundation.
National reviews of the Devils  
pjcas18 : 10/2/2019 8:23 pm : link
surprises me too.

On a team with Hall, Subban, former #1 overall (Hischier), current #1 Hughes, KHL leading scorer Gusev, sand paper extraordinaire in Simmonds

solid D (if unspectacular)

I expect playoffs.

but so many people just highlight that "the Devils have a lot of questions" but they never say what they are.

I do agree their bottom 6 is uninspiring, but should be able to hold their own. Goalie is the main question IMO.
Neither team wants to play  
pjcas18 : 10/2/2019 8:31 pm : link
defense in leafs sense and neither goalie looks great.

3 - 2 Leafs not quite midway through the 2nd. Leafs already have 25 shots.
McDavid, Ovi and Matthews  
pjcas18 : 10/3/2019 7:29 am : link
shine on opening day.

today is the bigger day though (for most BBI hockey fans).

8 games incuding.

MTL @ CAR (who have suddenly become bitter rivals)
BOS @ DAL
WIN @ NYR - debut of Kakko

RE: Neither team wants to play  
5BowlsSoon : 10/3/2019 8:56 am : link
In comment 14610110 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
defense in leafs sense and neither goalie looks great.

3 - 2 Leafs not quite midway through the 2nd. Leafs already have 25 shots.


This disturbs me...because I was hoping we would tighten things up in front of our goalie. I hope we play better defense on the road. Maybe we like to treat our home fans to wide open entertaining hockey figuring we will win 5-4 with our superior number one line.
A Tavares captained team  
Metnut : 10/3/2019 9:13 am : link
playing awful defense? Never seen that before.
RE: Have no idea why the Devils  
Jay on the Island : 10/3/2019 10:32 am : link
In comment 14610099 Jay in Toronto said:
Quote:
are getting so little respect.

I also hope that if the Rangers don't make the playoffs, as long as there is steady development, people lay off. Gotta play the long game here. They have the makings of a long-term foundation.

Iím surprised as well. I was expecting them to be overrated by the mainstream media. My only concern is goaltending but they have two potential solid options there. Their forward depth is among the best in hockey. Itís not just the additions of Hughes, Subban, Gusev, Simmonds, and Boqvist but also the return of Hall who only played 33 games a season ago and is entering a contract year. Two years ago he carried the team on his back to the playoffs.
RE: RE: Have no idea why the Devils  
Stu11 : 10/3/2019 11:36 am : link
In comment 14610400 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
In comment 14610099 Jay in Toronto said:


Quote:


are getting so little respect.

I also hope that if the Rangers don't make the playoffs, as long as there is steady development, people lay off. Gotta play the long game here. They have the makings of a long-term foundation.


Iím surprised as well. I was expecting them to be overrated by the mainstream media. My only concern is goaltending but they have two potential solid options there. Their forward depth is among the best in hockey. Itís not just the additions of Hughes, Subban, Gusev, Simmonds, and Boqvist but also the return of Hall who only played 33 games a season ago and is entering a contract year. Two years ago he carried the team on his back to the playoffs.

well I listen to Sirius NHL radio a lot. All the hosts there are Canadian and I can say this. This is the first time sine I started listening 10 years ago that they talked a ton of Devils pre-season. That having been said most are not picking them as top 8 in the East. I agree Jay I'm not nearly as worried as most around the league are about their goaltending. One of the hosts was saying he recently talked to Roberto Luongo who had the same surgery Schneider had almost 2 years ago and it took him a solid 2 years to get back to top form. He looked much better the 2nd half of last year and at the worlds. The pre-season was very promising for Schneider as he looked like 2016 Schneider.
RE: RE: RE: Have no idea why the Devils  
Jay on the Island : 10/3/2019 8:59 pm : link
In comment 14610487 Stu11 said:
Quote:
In comment 14610400 Jay on the Island said:


Quote:


In comment 14610099 Jay in Toronto said:


Quote:


are getting so little respect.

I also hope that if the Rangers don't make the playoffs, as long as there is steady development, people lay off. Gotta play the long game here. They have the makings of a long-term foundation.


Iím surprised as well. I was expecting them to be overrated by the mainstream media. My only concern is goaltending but they have two potential solid options there. Their forward depth is among the best in hockey. Itís not just the additions of Hughes, Subban, Gusev, Simmonds, and Boqvist but also the return of Hall who only played 33 games a season ago and is entering a contract year. Two years ago he carried the team on his back to the playoffs.


well I listen to Sirius NHL radio a lot. All the hosts there are Canadian and I can say this. This is the first time sine I started listening 10 years ago that they talked a ton of Devils pre-season. That having been said most are not picking them as top 8 in the East. I agree Jay I'm not nearly as worried as most around the league are about their goaltending. One of the hosts was saying he recently talked to Roberto Luongo who had the same surgery Schneider had almost 2 years ago and it took him a solid 2 years to get back to top form. He looked much better the 2nd half of last year and at the worlds. The pre-season was very promising for Schneider as he looked like 2016 Schneider.

The assumption is that the Devils will split time in net 50/50 with Schneider and Blackwood which is what I was hoping they would do.

Hynes will ride the hot hand obviously but I think this is the best plan. Schneider can use the frequent rests and Blackwood hasn't played a full season as the starter yet so it will also keep him fresh.
Roman Polak  
pjcas18 : 10/3/2019 10:03 pm : link
stretchered off in Dallas.

Sounded ugly. Didn't see it. Was watching the Habs vs Canes.

What an entertaining game. Back and forth action with solid goalie play, tight checking, and tons of skill.

two fun teams to watch.
Polak  
pjcas18 : 10/3/2019 10:47 pm : link
incident. Looked bad, but I think we've all seen worse - yu just never know I guess how someone will react especially when head/neck/spine are involved. Reports are uncertain if Polak had any motion when he was stretchered off.

Apparently Bruins resident jackass Jack Edwards allegedly called it "karma" - douche bag if he did say that. actually douche bag either way, but WTF if he did say that.
Link - ( New Window )
Good news on Polak  
pjcas18 : 10/3/2019 11:46 pm : link
the Stars took some lumps though.

Sean Shapiro
@seanshapiro

10m
Polak has full use of his extremities and is feeling better at hospital. Dickinson is out for at least a week. Comeau will be out multiple weeks
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 <<Prev | Show All |  Next>>
Back to the Corner