Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Saquon Barkley-Darius Slayton

jacob12 : 10/8/2019 5:22 pm
Saquon Barkley is the Giants fastest player. On Barkley's 59-yard run against the Cowboys, Saquon reached a top speed of 21.76 miles per hour, according to NFL Next Gen Stats. He is the fifth-fastest player in the NFL. Darius Slayton is not ranked in the top 20.

Barkley's size-speed ratio is remarkable.
I wouldn’t use those stats  
ron mexico : 10/8/2019 5:33 pm : link
We know SB is fast, I wouldn’t take a low ranking by Slay to infer he is slow
Don't use that stat  
Nick in LA : 10/8/2019 5:42 pm : link
When has Slayton been streaking down the field on his own running for a TD? There is a reason everyone on the team talks about Slaytons speed, he is probably the fastest guy on the team.
RE: Don't use that stat  
allstarjim : 10/8/2019 8:47 pm : link
In comment 14619237 Nick in LA said:
Quote:
When has Slayton been streaking down the field on his own running for a TD? There is a reason everyone on the team talks about Slaytons speed, he is probably the fastest guy on the team.


He's fast, but it's probably pretty close on offense.

I'd put money in a foot race on Barkley.
RE: RE: Don't use that stat  
Milton : 10/8/2019 9:07 pm : link
In comment 14619378 allstarjim said:
Quote:
In comment 14619237 Nick in LA said:


Quote:


When has Slayton been streaking down the field on his own running for a TD? There is a reason everyone on the team talks about Slaytons speed, he is probably the fastest guy on the team.



He's fast, but it's probably pretty close on offense.

I'd put money in a foot race on Barkley.
In a uniform carrying a football, probably Barkley. On a track in gym shorts, Slayton.
They kind of already did this  
allstarjim : 10/9/2019 12:02 am : link
Saquon ran a 4.41 at the NFL combine. Slayton 4.39. So...two one-hundreths separate them, but Slayton has the skinniest of edges there.

But I'd still take Barkley.
You would need to measure Slayton  
montanagiant : 10/9/2019 12:26 am : link
On a short pass and long run to compare the two.
Slayton has longer legs for his size, and he's taller.  
BlueLou'sBack : 10/9/2019 12:35 am : link
In a 100 yard dash I'd take Slayton, or maybe Ballentine over Barkley.

In a 40 yard dash, Barkley is more explosive getting off the line, I think.
And the Cowboys  
section125 : 10/9/2019 8:02 am : link
DB Uwazie caught Barkley easily.

It also depends on the distance. As someone mentioned, Barkley probably has a better burst and the Slayton catches him at about 30 yards..
FWIW  
Biteymax22 : 10/9/2019 9:31 am : link
In one of the coaches transcripts last week the WR coach commented he believes Slayton is the fastest player on the team, and sounded like there wasn't much doubt. He can fly.

What's remarkable about Barkley isn't his top speed, but his ability to get himself into situations where he can show it.
RE: And the Cowboys  
since1925 : 10/9/2019 2:43 pm : link
In comment 14619545 section125 said:
Quote:
DB Uwazie caught Barkley easily.

It also depends on the distance. As someone mentioned, Barkley probably has a better burst and the Slayton catches him at about 30 yards..

Easily is a relative term.

Watch it. Uwazie has a five to eight yard head start and the angle. Barkley has to cut left to the sideline and then get back in gear as he cuts right downfield.
RE: And the Cowboys  
Nick in LA : 10/9/2019 2:49 pm : link
In comment 14619545 section125 said:
Quote:
DB Uwazie caught Barkley easily.

It also depends on the distance. As someone mentioned, Barkley probably has a better burst and the Slayton catches him at about 30 yards..


The Dallas DB was recorded at just under 23 mph the fastest recorded in the NFL since 2017.
Back to the Corner