Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Jaworski: Jones best rated passer on 3rd and long

Eric from BBI : Admin : 10/9/2019 3:42 pm
Ron Jaworski @JawsCEOQB

Best rated passer on 3rd and Long (7+) in NFL

1. Giants QB Daniel Jones 115.8 passer rating)

2. Wilson
3. Dak
4. Mahomes
5. Carr
It's things like this that correlate with success far more than  
BestFeature : 10/9/2019 3:43 pm : link
an odd missed throw that people go on and on about. He should have also had a TD on a 4th and long, thanks Shep!
RE: It's things like this that correlate with success far more than  
robbieballs2003 : 10/9/2019 3:46 pm : link
In comment 14620198 BestFeature said:
Quote:
an odd missed throw that people go on and on about. He should have also had a TD on a 4th and long, thanks Shep!


Are you talking about the bad throw by Jones that Shep almost made an insane catch with 2 feet down on? Pretty stupid play to bring up to justify something in Jones' favor and against Shep.
RE: RE: It's things like this that correlate with success far more than  
BestFeature : 10/9/2019 3:50 pm : link
In comment 14620200 robbieballs2003 said:
Quote:
In comment 14620198 BestFeature said:


Quote:


an odd missed throw that people go on and on about. He should have also had a TD on a 4th and long, thanks Shep!



Are you talking about the bad throw by Jones that Shep almost made an insane catch with 2 feet down on? Pretty stupid play to bring up to justify something in Jones' favor and against Shep.


No, I'm talking about the at the end on the drive where he completed a 3rd and 10+, this was a 4th and 10+ and the ball was in Shep's hands but contested and he couldn't make the catch. It was broken up. Not the one where he was wide open.
Oh. Gotcha.  
robbieballs2003 : 10/9/2019 3:56 pm : link
That whole series where I was talking about was just garbage from the play calling to Jones. I am extremely happy with Jones overall but between that missed TD and him not throwing the ball away and taking the sack it just shows that he has a lot of room for growth. Eli was great throughout his career of knowing when he could throw the ball away and live for another down or series. To ok many young QBs always want to make a play every play and that isn't always the smartest mentality.
3rd Down  
Thegratefulhead : 10/9/2019 4:00 pm : link
Has been the thing I have been hanging my hat on with Jones and it was the biggest problem I had with Eli.
My guess is Jones...  
bw in dc : 10/9/2019 4:03 pm : link
will have plenty of opportunities tomorrow to improve that number.
RE: It's things like this that correlate with success far more than  
Nine-Tails : 10/9/2019 4:04 pm : link
In comment 14620198 BestFeature said:
Quote:
an odd missed throw that people go on and on about. He should have also had a TD on a 4th and long, thanks Shep!


A lot of giants receivers allow th ball to come into their body, instead of plucking it. Case in point to the play youíre referring to. Engram does go and get the ball, but he doesnít have the best hands
so what you're really saying is  
Giantsfan79 : 10/9/2019 4:09 pm : link
we suck on 1st and 2nd down.
Thatís excellent  
exiled : 10/9/2019 4:25 pm : link
Our 3rd-down performance had been pretty shitty.
RE: It's things like this that correlate with success far more than  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 10/9/2019 4:34 pm : link
In comment 14620198 BestFeature said:
Quote:
an odd missed throw that people go on and on about. He should have also had a TD on a 4th and long, thanks Shep!

EE also has to catch that crucial long "difficult" pass that him in the hands split between two defenders. You can't be dropping those in this league.
Just gotta say it:  
ZoneXDOA : 10/9/2019 4:35 pm : link
How much of that is simply due to us having far more third and long situations?
What the hell does that stat mean, you could throw 15 for 20  
Zeke's Alibi : 10/9/2019 4:39 pm : link
for 6 yards a clip and you could be on this list. I want to see a list of how many first downs, he's probably one on that, but I doubt Dak is 3rd.
Just gotta say  
joeinpa : 10/9/2019 4:41 pm : link
I think is has more to do with a quarterback willing to hang in there and challenge down field, or buying more time with his feet to make the play
RE: Just gotta say it:  
Zeke's Alibi : 10/9/2019 4:41 pm : link
In comment 14620251 ZoneXDOA said:
Quote:
How much of that is simply due to us having far more third and long situations?


Dak is probably on there because its happened 5 times all season. Having more is a good thing in this sense, gets rid of the small sample size effect.
robbieballs: Jones/Sheperd combination is a work in progress  
idinkido : 10/9/2019 5:06 pm : link
Once Jones is able to work more with Sheperd and the other receivers, those long passes will be completed more than missed. It's really hard to gauge a receiver's speed when a QB has had so little experience working with that receiver. In terms of getting rid of the ball, again it's knowing where the receivers will be, and, thus again, anticipation comes with QB/receiver experience. Also, as joeinpa stated, it's good seeing Jones having his eyes downfield standing up against the rush, and using his mobility to extend plays.
RE: robbieballs: Jones/Sheperd combination is a work in progress  
robbieballs2003 : 10/9/2019 5:07 pm : link
In comment 14620283 idinkido said:
Quote:
Once Jones is able to work more with Sheperd and the other receivers, those long passes will be completed more than missed. It's really hard to gauge a receiver's speed when a QB has had so little experience working with that receiver. In terms of getting rid of the ball, again it's knowing where the receivers will be, and, thus again, anticipation comes with QB/receiver experience. Also, as joeinpa stated, it's good seeing Jones having his eyes downfield standing up against the rush, and using his mobility to extend plays.


100%. No argument from me. Like I said, I am ecstatic with Jones. All I am saying is for as good as he has been already there are still a lot of areas he can improve in.
What i like about Jones is his mental makeup.  
idinkido : 10/9/2019 6:13 pm : link
The guy is a pro and understands that hard work and preparation is a necessary part of the job. I believe that he will better learn to use his tools and lead this team to success. Jones is a thinker and processes the field quickly, and as long as he is in this league, we will see him continuing to improve, and even when he is a ten year veteran he will still be learning new things.
Nice!  
Darth Paul : 10/9/2019 6:58 pm : link
Good info to know.
just pray he doesn't develop Derek Carr  
ColHowPepper : 10/9/2019 7:14 pm : link
syndrome... Shurmur has to wear that the remainder of this year, and DG from here on out
RE: What the hell does that stat mean, you could throw 15 for 20  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 10/9/2019 7:23 pm : link
In comment 14620254 Zeke's Alibi said:
Quote:
for 6 yards a clip and you could be on this list. I want to see a list of how many first downs, he's probably one on that, but I doubt Dak is 3rd.


The number of opportunities would not impact one's QBR in those situations. If you suck on 3rd-and-long, you suck.
Good for DJ as he has performed really well  
Jimmy Googs : 10/9/2019 7:34 pm : link
but donít bet on that rating improving tomorrow night...
As a rookie DJ8 will improve and improve his numbers  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 10/9/2019 8:09 pm : link
to match and someday surpass Eli's passer rating last year and lead the highest scoring offense in the NFC east like Eli.
RE: RE: What the hell does that stat mean, you could throw 15 for 20  
Zeke's Alibi : 10/9/2019 8:43 pm : link
In comment 14620440 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
In comment 14620254 Zeke's Alibi said:


Quote:


for 6 yards a clip and you could be on this list. I want to see a list of how many first downs, he's probably one on that, but I doubt Dak is 3rd.



The number of opportunities would not impact one's QBR in those situations. If you suck on 3rd-and-long, you suck.


Right, but you can put up a good QBR and not be putting up first downs, let's say your 3 and 7+ opportunities average out to 3rd and 10 or so. You average 8 ypa but are consistently not picking up first downs your passing rating can still be very good. A much more telling stat is percentages of first downs picked up in this situation.
RE: RE: RE: What the hell does that stat mean, you could throw 15 for 20  
Prude : 10/9/2019 9:07 pm : link
In comment 14620492 Zeke's Alibi said:
Quote:
In comment 14620440 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


In comment 14620254 Zeke's Alibi said:


Quote:


for 6 yards a clip and you could be on this list. I want to see a list of how many first downs, he's probably one on that, but I doubt Dak is 3rd.



The number of opportunities would not impact one's QBR in those situations. If you suck on 3rd-and-long, you suck.



Right, but you can put up a good QBR and not be putting up first downs, let's say your 3 and 7+ opportunities average out to 3rd and 10 or so. You average 8 ypa but are consistently not picking up first downs your passing rating can still be very good. A much more telling stat is percentages of first downs picked up in this situation.


Jones is 54% on 3rd down conversions which is a number most qbs in the league would be happy to have
Just look at last 3  
Prude : 10/9/2019 9:09 pm : link
Which would be Jones vs the rest of the league.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third-down-conversion-pct
Link - ( New Window )
He's been awesome on 3rd down, that wasn't the point of my general  
Zeke's Alibi : 10/9/2019 9:13 pm : link
comment. We've been a 3rd down converting machine under him which has been very refreshing as well as promising.
what would it be if we could get more 3rd and short  
larryflower37 : 10/9/2019 9:55 pm : link
this is even more impressive since they have zero running game.
Back to the Corner