Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

NFT: Favorite Music Covers

Grey Pilgrim : 10/10/2019 10:29 am
Mike Masse - Africa (acoustic Toto cover)

:guitar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSCOlpe6IjU - ( New Window )
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
dammit  
santacruzom : 10/11/2019 2:11 pm : link
someone posted Simple Man by that shitty nu metal band.
Emmylou Harris "May This Be Love"...  
x meadowlander : 10/11/2019 2:34 pm : link
...a cover of a throwaway Jimi Hendrix cut that is one of my favorite cuts ever, period.

The entire album she recorded it on, "Wrecking Ball" is an absolute masterpiece - back in the mid 90's when it came out, I heard cuts of it on NPR - I wasn't a country or Emmylou fan, but this album blew me away. Absolutely stunning, swirling, gorgeous guitars soaked in delay's, Emmylou took on a vocal style that was almost whispered, adding to the vibe of the record. Covers of Neil Young, Dylan, Lucinda Williams and Steve Earle on this record - each completely reinvented - one of my favorite albums.

But this cut - this is gorgeous:


May This Be Love - ( New Window )
I like quite a few..  
rnargi : 10/11/2019 2:44 pm : link
Dizzy Miss Lizzy - Larry Williams, Beatles version. That song rocks like murder.

Roll Over Beethoven - Chuck Berry, ELO's version. Love the orchestral/rock blend.

Gloria - Van Morrison, Patti Smith version. My rock and roll queen.

Something in the Air - Thunderclap Newman, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' version. Clean, crisp, Byrds like. Just a brilliant pop song.

Woodstock - Joni Mitchell, CSNY's version. Great song, Joni frankly never should have recorded it.

(I am) Superman - The Clique, REM's version. Another great pop song taken to another level by REM.

Respect - Otis Redding, The Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin's version. Maybe the best covered song ever.

Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley version...haunting voice that gets me every single time.

Supersition - Stevie Wonder, Beck, Bogert & Appice's version then Stevie Ray Vaughn's version. Both are awesome. Interestingly, BB&A recorded it first, but Stevie wrote it and took it back for himself soon afterwards. Thankfully, as his version is the best. I just like the rocked up versions more.
This!!!  
Scott in Montreal : 10/11/2019 3:06 pm : link
For me this has to be one of the greatest covers of a Led Zeppelin song ever.

I got myself a copy of it and it is always on my playlist.
Heart - Stairway to Heaven Kennedy Center - ( New Window )
bw: Joni frankly never should have recorded it.  
x meadowlander : 10/11/2019 3:25 pm : link
Why not?

I always thought the story of that song was really interesting, very bittersweet. I like her version, and it is a peculiarity - but if you look at the event of Woodstock as the end of that era, which it really was - then the melancholy feel of her version works.

Of course the CSNY version blows it out of the park, a fantastic uplifting pop cut with searing guitar parts and a beautiful reworking of the melody, but I like Joni's version for what it is.
Chili's: Higher Ground  
x meadowlander : 10/11/2019 3:28 pm : link
I love Stevie, but that song was MADE for Flea!
RE: bw: Joni frankly never should have recorded it.  
rnargi : 10/11/2019 3:52 pm : link
In comment 14625070 x meadowlander said:
Quote:
Why not?

I always thought the story of that song was really interesting, very bittersweet. I like her version, and it is a peculiarity - but if you look at the event of Woodstock as the end of that era, which it really was - then the melancholy feel of her version works.

Of course the CSNY version blows it out of the park, a fantastic uplifting pop cut with searing guitar parts and a beautiful reworking of the melody, but I like Joni's version for what it is.


Fair points. I stand corrected.
a couple that I like and don't see posted  
Steve in ATL : 10/11/2019 4:05 pm : link
Ricky Lee Jones "Show Biz Kids"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hw4BIYh-2s

The Hooters "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2ulK7reP3M
RE: a couple that I like and don't see posted  
Milton : 10/11/2019 4:48 pm : link
In comment 14625123 Steve in ATL said:
Quote:
Ricky Lee Jones "Show Biz Kids"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hw4BIYh-2s

The Hooters "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2ulK7reP3M
Damn you beat me to the Ricky Lee Jones cover of Showbiz Kids! Been my favorite cover for years.
Lou Reed's cover of....  
Milton : 10/11/2019 5:13 pm : link
This Magic Moment
RE: Emmylou Harris  
santacruzom : 10/11/2019 6:04 pm : link
In comment 14624975 x meadowlander said:
Quote:
...a cover of a throwaway Jimi Hendrix cut that is one of my favorite cuts ever, period.

The entire album she recorded it on, "Wrecking Ball" is an absolute masterpiece - back in the mid 90's when it came out, I heard cuts of it on NPR - I wasn't a country or Emmylou fan, but this album blew me away.


I had that exact same experience when listening to that album for the first time too. Its production sounds a bit dated now, but I still love May This Be Love along with Where Will I Be, Waltz Across Texas and Goin' Back to Harlan.
RE: dammit  
pjcas18 : 10/11/2019 7:49 pm : link
In comment 14624934 santacruzom said:
Quote:
someone posted Simple Man by that shitty nu metal band.


dammit, someone felt the need to be a douche bag on a music thread asking what cover songs people like.


And it wasn't McKee. I guess there are more than one douche bag on music threads.
RE: All Along the Watchtower  
BigBluesman : 10/11/2019 8:59 pm : link
In comment 14620926 Pork Chop said:
Quote:
by both Jimi and U2.

There's not a single Dylan song that someone else didn't perform better than him.
Jimi Version - ( New Window )

Couldn't disagree more, he's one of my favorite singers ever. Jimi's cover is the ONLY one that improves on a Dylan original, IMO.
RE: RE: All Along the Watchtower  
rnargi : 10/11/2019 10:07 pm : link
In comment 14625429 BigBluesman said:
Quote:
In comment 14620926 Pork Chop said:


Quote:


by both Jimi and U2.

There's not a single Dylan song that someone else didn't perform better than him.
Jimi Version - ( New Window )


Couldn't disagree more, he's one of my favorite singers ever. Jimi's cover is the ONLY one that improves on a Dylan original, IMO.


I dunno...The Byrds' version of "Tambourine Man' is arguably better than Mr. Zimmerman's.
RE: RE: RE: All Along the Watchtower  
BigBluesman : 10/11/2019 10:25 pm : link
In comment 14625463 rnargi said:
Quote:
In comment 14625429 BigBluesman said:


Quote:


In comment 14620926 Pork Chop said:


Quote:


by both Jimi and U2.

There's not a single Dylan song that someone else didn't perform better than him.
Jimi Version - ( New Window )


Couldn't disagree more, he's one of my favorite singers ever. Jimi's cover is the ONLY one that improves on a Dylan original, IMO.



I dunno...The Byrds' version of "Tambourine Man' is arguably better than Mr. Zimmerman's.

That's the other one.
Any reggae lovers should check out Easy Star Dub Allstars  
ChaChing : 10/11/2019 10:37 pm : link
when they cover Dark Side, or Radiohead it seems like sacrilege (even as a reggae fan), but it's really fn great production, performance. Paranoid Andriod is just ridiculous (tho it stays relatively true to form) - chick's vox are just nailed, and Radiohead is certainly on my all-time fav list. I haven't met a song they covered I didn't like. They've done a ton more, but these are the most known

Us & Them
Money
Paranoid Android
And of course known these days, the 2 Amy Winehouse Valerie covers  
ChaChing : 10/11/2019 10:44 pm : link
Chick could sing...
Acoustic
Badass Uptempo Mark Ronson ft Amy

And the original most aren't aware of
The Zutons
This song  
BigBluesman : 10/11/2019 10:47 pm : link
has been done to death at this point, but Jeff Buckley's cover has to be one of the most memorable RE: topic.


Hallelujah - ( New Window )
Nearly every cover Sublime has done  
ChaChing : 10/11/2019 10:52 pm : link
I mean, I probably like Peter Tosh's Steppin Razor better, but outside of that...5446 Was My Number, Smoke Two Joints (i think was a cover?), Scarlet Begonias, Trenchtown Rock...I'm inexplicably missing quite a few

Also Eddie Vedder / Strokes Mercy Mercy Me (most covers of that song I've heard are decent)
A couple from Eva Cassidy.  
porkman : 10/11/2019 10:58 pm : link
This is what an angel's voice sounds like.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rd8VktT8xY

People Get Ready
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzLd2MDAHK8

RE: RE: dammit  
santacruzom : 10/12/2019 12:08 am : link
In comment 14625383 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
In comment 14624934 santacruzom said:


Quote:


someone posted Simple Man by that shitty nu metal band.



dammit, someone felt the need to be a douche bag on a music thread asking what cover songs people like.


And it wasn't McKee. I guess there are more than one douche bag on music threads.


Meeyouch!
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah  
adamg : 10/12/2019 12:15 am : link
/thread
Here's a cover you don't see every day  
Milton : 10/12/2019 12:17 am : link
A couple of Hasidim (the Breslev Brothers) in Jerusalem performing...
Shine on You Crazy Diamond (the uncircumcised version) - ( New Window )
RE: Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah  
Milton : 10/12/2019 12:28 am : link
In comment 14625504 adamg said:
Quote:
/thread
Performed just days after Leonard Cohen died, this is my favorite cover of that song...
Kate McKinnon - ( New Window )
OK sorry this thread got me flipping around YT  
ChaChing : 10/12/2019 1:30 am : link
so one more Easy Star. Not even my fav but it's sick. Love the synth bass. Kinda 80s reggae...which is to say fitting!

Billie Jean
Here's a unique cover...  
Milton : 10/12/2019 3:00 am : link
Mike Dawes plays lead, bass, drums, and melody on guitar all at once. Kind of freaky to watch....
Somebody That I Used to Know - ( New Window )
Earth, Wind & Fire....Got to Get You Into My life  
Gmen703 : 10/12/2019 3:19 am : link
.
Link - ( New Window )
Black Keys - Never Gonna Give You Up  
ChaChing : 10/12/2019 6:01 pm : link
I love the saturation / distortion on the vox w/ serious bite from his performance, between the nice warm round tube amp both over that vox & across the track in general

As blues rock duo, theres some versatility there with a rockin motown style. Dan Auerbach is pretty sick, even his solo stuff, or his work in The Arcs among others

Youtube - Never Gonna Give You Up - ( New Window )
RE: RE: Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah  
Mr. Nickels : 10/12/2019 8:01 pm : link
In comment 14625507 Milton said:
Quote:
In comment 14625504 adamg said:


Quote:


/thread

Performed just days after Leonard Cohen died, this is my favorite cover of that song... Kate McKinnon - ( New Window )


LOL
Roger Waters - Knockin’ on Heavens Doors  
KentGraham : 10/12/2019 10:25 pm : link
.
there are some Dylan classics  
Bill2 : 10/12/2019 11:21 pm : link
that are very hard to do without his phrasings. Of course, if you listen to his variations, he has outdone his first versions many times. Oddly, some of his most interesting versions have been done since 1995 and even in the last 3 years some versions of Desolation Row and Visions of Johanna and Its All Over Now Baby Blue are very good.

But All Along the Watchtower is just about Jimi
s version now. Leon Russels Hard Rains Gonna Fall is terrific but not as good as a few Dylan recordings.

I thought there is a version or two of Mr Tambourine Man which gets across the fascinating truth of the songs meaning much better than the associations I make when I hear the Byrds version.

I admit to liking Sandy Denny's version of Knocking on Heavens Door

but by and large, his voice makes it easy for someone to sing a pretty version. But so many of his songs are flat out too complex a set of lyrics and not intended to be pretty or about pretty.

imo. its just music so many variations resonate with us

Ryan Adams  
crick n NC : 10/13/2019 12:14 am : link
Down in a hole

Down in a hole - ( New Window )
Just re-discovered this the other day...  
bw in dc : 10/14/2019 9:00 pm : link
Springsteen putting his brilliant twist on Sting's "I Hung My Head"...


Springsteen - ( New Window )
Cayetana, Age of Consent (New Order)  
trueblueinpw : 10/15/2019 6:29 am : link
Even though Philly is home to the lowest form of sports fan (or is that Bah’stan?), they have a great music scene. Cayetana just recently played their last show down there before going their own ways, but you can still find this outstanding cover of the New Order classic on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube (linked below).
Cayetana, Age of Consent - ( New Window )
Second on Easy Star All Stars...  
x meadowlander : 10/15/2019 9:49 am : link
...their Dark Side of the Moon cover is fucking great. In rotation at my house in the summer.

Bill2 brought up Sandy Denny - I'll point out that Judy Collins' cover of "Who Knows Where the Time Goes" is phenomenal - it isn't easy to improve a Sandy Denny cut, but Collins found the right arrangement for the song and really brought it home with a gorgeous vocal performance.
RE: Ryan Adams  
santacruzom : 10/15/2019 3:14 pm : link
In comment 14626260 crick n NC said:
Quote:
Down in a hole Down in a hole - ( New Window )


Ooh, that reminds me, his cover of Wonderwall is pretty good too.
Janis Joplin singing Me and Bobby McGee has to be one of the best  
steve in ky : 10/16/2019 2:25 am : link
and is probably more associated with her than Kristofferson, although in some ways I think I still enjoy his original more.

Elvis's and Willie Nelsons's covers of "Always on my Mind is another associated more with cover versions than the original (B.J. Thomas).
I would add a twist to what Steve brought up  
Bill2 : 10/16/2019 8:02 am : link
I think Emmylou's version of Pancho and Lefty is a terrific cover of Townes Van Zant.

Willie Nelson picked the song up from hearing Emmylou's version, added Merle Haggard coming in powerfully at the end and had a smash hit version.


I would also give a shout out to Wilson Pickets version of Hey Jude with a tremendous introduction to a new name 20 year old backup guitarist. Name was Duane Allman.

An Eric Clapton was touring down South and heard it on a black radio station. He had his folks find the guitarist.

Its a terrible scratchy version but look up Layla played the first time live with Eric Clapton and Duane Allman in Tampa. Absent the lyricism of the final polished version it makes up for it with the two great players going all out live.

To quote Keith: "Rock is meant to be ragged and rough"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EkRnb3e7MEhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EkRnb3e7ME
RE: RE: Ryan Adams  
crick n NC : 10/16/2019 8:23 am : link
In comment 14629710 santacruzom said:
Quote:
In comment 14626260 crick n NC said:


Quote:


Down in a hole Down in a hole - ( New Window )



Ooh, that reminds me, his cover of Wonderwall is pretty good too.


Thanks, I'll check it out.
RE: there are some Dylan classics  
BigBluesman : 10/17/2019 3:37 pm : link
In comment 14626225 Bill2 said:
Quote:
that are very hard to do without his phrasings. Of course, if you listen to his variations, he has outdone his first versions many times. Oddly, some of his most interesting versions have been done since 1995 and even in the last 3 years some versions of Desolation Row and Visions of Johanna and Its All Over Now Baby Blue are very good.

But All Along the Watchtower is just about Jimi
s version now. Leon Russels Hard Rains Gonna Fall is terrific but not as good as a few Dylan recordings.

I thought there is a version or two of Mr Tambourine Man which gets across the fascinating truth of the songs meaning much better than the associations I make when I hear the Byrds version.

I admit to liking Sandy Denny's version of Knocking on Heavens Door

but by and large, his voice makes it easy for someone to sing a pretty version. But so many of his songs are flat out too complex a set of lyrics and not intended to be pretty or about pretty.

imo. its just music so many variations resonate with us

I agree with much of this. But I just don't know if you can sing Dylan pretty as easily as you say. I'm not a fan. The Byrds had a cool way of doing Dylan. I don't ever feel like hearing Judy Collins or Peter, Paul, and Mary or whoever doing Bob. It doesn't match for me. I don't even like Adele singing Dylan. Something about that craggy old pilgrim.
RE: RE: RE: Cowboy Junkies - Sweet Jane  
MadPlaid : 10/17/2019 3:55 pm : link
In comment 14621636 Phatbrew said:
Quote:
In comment 14621205 gmenatlarge said:


Quote:


In comment 14620959 MadPlaid said:

Saw the in Albany at Qe2 on the 1989 tour n sweet Jane was a show stopper!!!

Quote:


. Sweet Jane - ( New Window )



+1 excellent!


I had tickets to see them. Unfortunately, they had to cancel at the last minute due to an illness in the band. Missed my chance to listen to the Cowboy Junkies live. Major bummer.
Mike Doughty  
pjcas18 : 10/17/2019 4:02 pm : link
from Soul Coughing, covers Mary J Blige - Real Love (acoustic).

If you like Soul Coughing you will like this.
Link - ( New Window )
Jason and the Scorchers  
John In CO : 10/17/2019 5:13 pm : link
Absolutely Sweet Marie!

Ok, its no Dylan, but its not a direct adaptation either, which is good.
Absolutely Sweet Marie - ( New Window )
Here's another that you don't see every day...  
Milton : 10/17/2019 10:59 pm : link
Puddles the Clown covers a Tom Waits tune...
Puddles Pity Party (Time) - ( New Window )
Soft Cell's Say Hello Wave Goodbye  
Jim in Hoboken : 10/17/2019 11:34 pm : link
By David Gray.
Link - ( New Window )
RE: I would add a twist to what Steve brought up  
santacruzom : 10/18/2019 12:32 am : link
In comment 14630506 Bill2 said:
Quote:


Willie Nelson picked the song up from hearing Emmylou's version, added Merle Haggard coming in powerfully at the end and had a smash hit version.



Oh, speaking of Willie, he did a gorgeous cover of Have You Ever Seen the Rain.
Have You Ever Seen The Rain - ( New Window )
CSN&Y doing Joni Mitchell's Woodstock  
aquidneck : 10/18/2019 5:23 am : link
Is pretty good and many think it's the original.

https://youtu.be/TrWNTqbLFFE
Big Bluesman  
Bill2 : 10/18/2019 5:53 pm : link
Maybe I didn't articulate well enough. Sorry.

What occurred to me is that some Dylan classics just fit his idiosyncratic style:

Maggies Farm
Desolation Row ( although there are some ok covers)
Subterranean Homesick Blues
Positively 4th Street
Just Like a Woman
Idiot Wind
Now Dark Yet
( I prefer his later versions of Tangled Up in Blue, Shelter from the Storm, Love Minus Zero/No Limit, Lay Lady Lay)
Girl from the North Country
Masters of War
Trying to get to Heaven

and although I do like the Byrds version of Mr Tamborine Man...that version gave rise to the id ea it was about a drug trip ( thereby just another drug song)whereas Dylans actual version more closely matched the songs real meaning ( its a newly physically dead person in a coffin in a New Orleans funeral reflecting as he passes in spirit from the world ( as hearing the world is the last sense to go). As such an incredible song/poem with a remarkable take on life.
Ditto the internal monologue on Visions is hard for another to sing.

Finally, I think his early snarling versions of Like a Rolling Stone needed to be snarled out in his voice to have the power and bold departure of the song in its time.

Fun talking to you. Take care.
RE: Green Manalishi - Judas Priest, the live version.  
T in NJ : 10/18/2019 6:50 pm : link
In comment 14620943 smshmth8690 said:
Quote:
.

+1
RE: Faith No More...  
T in NJ : 10/18/2019 6:51 pm : link
In comment 14621036 vonritz said:
Quote:
"War Pigs"

+1
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner