Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Tight window throws & lack of separation

Big Rick in FL : 10/11/2019 9:18 am
Quote:
0.62 yards of separation when the pass arrived to Golden Tate on his 64-yard reception. Jones' throw was that good on the play. It dropped perfectly over the outstretched hand of cornerback Jonathan Jones. Tate juggled it, the defender fell and Tate raced to the end zone.

But this was a trend. Tate averaged 1.10 yards of separation in the contest on nine targets. Jones made 48 percent of his throws into a tight window, the highest rate by any QB in a game of the past four seasons when Next Gen date became available. His average target separation of 1.80 yards was also the worst by any QB in a game over that span.

The average target separation entering Thursday was 3.4 yards across the NFL this season.


This was even worse than it looked on TV. Our guys got absolutely no separation.
Against the #1 D  
gmenatlarge : 10/11/2019 9:21 am : link
with Tate as your biggest threat what did you expect? It will get better as the Giants get healthy and face less competition.
Maybe because we were without  
BillT : 10/11/2019 9:22 am : link
Our two best receivers at creating separation. Probably not a factor.
.  
arcarsenal : 10/11/2019 9:23 am : link
Jones made some poor decisions - to be expected, but really there was no one open all night. Our guys were plastered on almost every pass play. The Pats defense is really good in coverage. We couldn't run the ball to save our lives, either.

I was impressed with the ball placement on a few different occasions.

Jones was in what was basically an impossible situation last night. Barely had any weapons. No run game. Whipping winds. Tough defense.

Just part of the growth process for him.
RE: Against the #1 D  
Big Rick in FL : 10/11/2019 9:24 am : link
In comment 14624210 gmenatlarge said:
Quote:
with Tate as your biggest threat what did you expect? It will get better as the Giants get healthy and face less competition.


I expected the Pats to kick our ass. I was just posting some numbers that I thought were interesting.
RE: .  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 10/11/2019 9:25 am : link
In comment 14624217 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
Jones made some poor decisions - to be expected, but really there was no one open all night. Our guys were plastered on almost every pass play. The Pats defense is really good in coverage. We couldn't run the ball to save our lives, either.

I was impressed with the ball placement on a few different occasions.

Jones was in what was basically an impossible situation last night. Barely had any weapons. No run game. Whipping winds. Tough defense.

Just part of the growth process for him.


Good post.
Big Rick great post, if you understand the game you'd think DJ  
Zeke's Alibi : 10/11/2019 9:25 am : link
had a pretty good game minus a couple rookie mistakes that resulted in turnovers. He is throwing the ball into impossible windows and he still was making plays. There were a few throws that were absolutely perfect.
RE: Big Rick great post, if you understand the game you'd think DJ  
Big Rick in FL : 10/11/2019 9:28 am : link
In comment 14624227 Zeke's Alibi said:
Quote:
had a pretty good game minus a couple rookie mistakes that resulted in turnovers. He is throwing the ball into impossible windows and he still was making plays. There were a few throws that were absolutely perfect.


This came from Ranaan by the way. I agree. He had some really nice passes. Even on some in completions. Like the pass to Tate that should have been PI. The deep pass to Slayton.
Pretty much what I saw.  
BigBlue in Keys : 10/11/2019 9:30 am : link
None of the receivers could get any separation and Jones would try and throw it into whatever small window he had. He didn't have any other option. I like what I've seen from the kid. Add in a running game and our missing receivers and he will succeed.
There..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 10/11/2019 9:32 am : link
were several plays where Jones had time to throw, the play was designed to go downfield, and he simply couldn't find anyone open.

And after most of those plays, the game thread posts discussed how shitty a playcall it was. To be fair, every run was considered a shitty playcall too:)

It is tough to compete when receivers are shut down and you don't have a running game to counter it.
Somewhere, I can't prove it but I'm damn sure exists  
jcn56 : 10/11/2019 9:33 am : link
two QA coaches - one on the Eagles and one on the Patriots, whose sole job it is to review game tape, see what gets called as PI by different crews, and share information with the coaching staff on how to get the most amount of holding in the secondary with the least number of flags.

That's the only way I can explain the secondaries for both of those teams. Blatant holding every time I see them, but only a handful of flags at best.

I'm not complaining - I just want the Giants to emulate that behavior. I want to see more Giants wrapped around guys 3 seconds before the ball gets there with no flags, and less watching Giants DBs chasing after a completed catch.
RE: Pretty much what I saw.  
Big Rick in FL : 10/11/2019 9:33 am : link
In comment 14624239 BigBlue in Keys said:
Quote:
None of the receivers could get any separation and Jones would try and throw it into whatever small window he had. He didn't have any other option. I like what I've seen from the kid. Add in a running game and our missing receivers and he will succeed.


I knew they were having a tough time getting separation. Just would have never guessed it would be the smallest amount of separation in the past 4 seasons.
Felt like I was watching another  
alb345Tx : 10/11/2019 9:36 am : link
Duke game. Jones throwing against superior defenses, erring on the side of aggression trying to make something happen and looking bad doing it. He's still got that ball placement, though, which is a thing of beauty at times.

Better times ahead for the Giants and DJ, I hope.
Problem is..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 10/11/2019 9:40 am : link
you can be like Ogletree, barely make contact with a TE, and get called for holding. Or get illegal contact called.

Outside of the Jenkins call, most defensive holdings and illegal contacts are calls you could make every play - but for some reason, on 3rd downs certain teams don't get that call against them.

I'd like to see us do that more too, but be prepared for us to be called on it much more and by inference be called "undisciplined". When good teams aren't flagged, they are called wily....
RE: Somewhere, I can't prove it but I'm damn sure exists  
Simms11 : 10/11/2019 1:15 pm : link
In comment 14624244 jcn56 said:
Quote:
two QA coaches - one on the Eagles and one on the Patriots, whose sole job it is to review game tape, see what gets called as PI by different crews, and share information with the coaching staff on how to get the most amount of holding in the secondary with the least number of flags.

That's the only way I can explain the secondaries for both of those teams. Blatant holding every time I see them, but only a handful of flags at best.

I'm not complaining - I just want the Giants to emulate that behavior. I want to see more Giants wrapped around guys 3 seconds before the ball gets there with no flags, and less watching Giants DBs chasing after a completed catch.


Thatís what Jenkins did and got flagged for it!
Where is the OP from?  
Mike from SI : 10/11/2019 1:16 pm : link
Link?
Open in the NFL is much different than open in college  
BH28 : 10/11/2019 1:19 pm : link
So its encouraging being able to put the ball in spots like that. A lot of young QBs either cant make that throw or dont make those throws.

Looking to see some better decision making throughout the rest of the year.
RE: Where is the OP from?  
Big Rick in FL : 10/11/2019 2:03 pm : link
In comment 14624823 Mike from SI said:
Quote:
Link?


Ranaan. Missed it in the original post but gave him credit a few posts later.
Back to the Corner