Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Here's what's encouraging about Jones, to me.....

Britt in VA : 10/11/2019 10:09 am
By the normal standards you'd grade a QB on whether they were the reason you won or lost the game, he had a bad game. I think that's how a lot of people view last night.

I never really believed we had a shot last night (until the game actually started). 17 point dogs, on the road, against the defending champs who are 5-0, without arguably your three biggest weapons on offense (the stat said Shepard, Engram, and Barkley accounted for 65% of all of NYG's offensive yards so far this season, that's a crazy stat). What I wanted to see from Jones was what I referred to earlier in the week as a gut check. Like the Clemson game. How would he respond?

I got my answer in the 2nd quarter when after throwing 2 INT's, he comes right back out and hits Tate downfield for the TD. That was Eli like. Shrugged off the INT's, and keep chucking it.

The other thing that encouraged me, is that the mistakes I see Jones make are usually in regards to a missed throw, or holding the ball too long... Very rarely do I see him make the wrong read, and that's huge. Especially last night, against Belichick, who as they kept showing last night, is 11-0 against rookie QB's in his building. And that defense was tough last night.

Those things are correctable. His mental makeup, both in regards to reading defenses and also his resiliency, makes me feel really good about him going forward. I think this guy is going to be really, really good. I don't really care about the stat line last night.
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Heís  
Les in TO : 10/11/2019 10:43 am : link
Definitely making a lot of encouraging plays and last night both the wind and injuries were factors not to mention playing a tough defense coached by the GOAT in a stadium where rookie QBs have never won .

You hope that he learns from mistakes when he threw the interception underneath where he misread the single safety. By all accounts heís a smart guy so confident he will course correct.
I feel like heís the right guy to lead this team going forward.
RE: RE: The thing is, I rarely see a defense fool him....  
Britt in VA : 10/11/2019 10:51 am : link
In comment 14624438 Giants in 07 said:
Quote:
In comment 14624433 Britt in VA said:


Quote:


he doesn't get baited into throwing into double coverage. He doesn't throw those sort of "WTF" INT's that don't seem to have any rhyme or reason to them.



They disguised that zone INT pretty well last night. I doubt he makes that mistake again.


The 3rd one? Yeah, to some degree. But even in rewatching that today, I thought the Ellison could have run a better route on that. He could have undercut that a bit.
There's a lot to like about Jones, and I expect he'll get over  
Ira : 10/11/2019 10:51 am : link
throwing all of these picks. And we were playing a top passing defense and it was very windy. But no matter how you look at it, throwing 3 picks under any circumstances is a bad sign.
so every bad game Jones has now  
Big_N : 10/11/2019 10:52 am : link
It's going to be "so he threw 3 picks and lost the game BUT here is what is good...."
The Giants played very well in spots, a few plays here or there would  
SterlingArcher : 10/11/2019 10:52 am : link
have made this game much closer. The defense played better that expected, I am encouraged and look forward to see how well they hold up for the rest of the season. If the Giants only had a pass rusher!
RE: so every bad game Jones has now  
Britt in VA : 10/11/2019 10:53 am : link
In comment 14624490 Big_N said:
Quote:
It's going to be "so he threw 3 picks and lost the game BUT here is what is good...."


Yeah, maybe... Is there a problem with that?

Or should we just focus on the negative with laser-like focus while completely ignoring anything positive.

That's not how I like to watch a rookie, or football in general. To each their own.
RE: so every bad game Jones has now  
Prude : 10/11/2019 10:58 am : link
In comment 14624490 Big_N said:
Quote:
It's going to be "so he threw 3 picks and lost the game BUT here is what is good...."


I wonder what the 'N' stands for in 'Big_N'. Anyone have a guess?
Also Eli like  
Jay in Toronto : 10/11/2019 11:03 am : link
in totally owning his errors.
RE: RE: The thing is, I rarely see a defense fool him....  
Tuckrule : 10/11/2019 11:06 am : link
In comment 14624438 Giants in 07 said:
Quote:
In comment 14624433 Britt in VA said:


Quote:


he doesn't get baited into throwing into double coverage. He doesn't throw those sort of "WTF" INT's that don't seem to have any rhyme or reason to them.



They disguised that zone INT pretty well last night. I doubt he makes that mistake again.


It was cover 2. I donít think jones was fooled on the look as much as the pats were varying the cover 2 looks. Sometimes the corners would sink more. On that particular play jones thought the corner would sit lower and he kept dropping.
RE: so every bad game Jones has now  
clatterbuck : 10/11/2019 11:08 am : link
In comment 14624490 Big_N said:
Quote:
It's going to be "so he threw 3 picks and lost the game BUT here is what is good...."


Um, yes. It's the process with a rookie QB, especially with the deck stacked against him like last night. You analyze mistakes. You evaluate positive elements of his game. You look for progress. I wonder what all those clamoring to play the kid actually expected. Jones' development is what this season is all about.
RE: He had Slayton deep early in the game....  
NYG007 : 10/11/2019 11:12 am : link
In comment 14624378 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
and missed it. I think the wind played a part, as we were going into it in the first quarter.

But that was the right read and would have been a TD if he hit it.


The wind took that ball big time. Brady went against the wind the next qtr and threw 15 yard passes were pushed 5 yards out. What was encouraging was Dj completing some into the wind. Unlike our playoff game vs Philly we could have won had Carr played.
DJ8 and especially Shemur  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 10/11/2019 11:18 am : link
deserve some criticism. Given the circumstances, DJ8 and the special teams (Ha!) had to play mistake free football to give us a decent shot to win, a'la Eli Manning versus Pats in SBs or SF in div title.
Moral victory?  
mako J : 10/11/2019 11:20 am : link
It's all reps and experiences. In the near future, there's a Monday night tilt against my (likely most of our) most hated rival. Here's to hoping last night's experiences help the rook perform better in a hostile environment against a quality opponent on a national stage.
Yeah, I can see some criticism warranted....  
Britt in VA : 10/11/2019 11:21 am : link
however, again... The three players that didn't play for us accounted for 65% of our offensive yards this year. That's a massive hole they had to try and scheme around.
RE: RE: so every bad game Jones has now  
Big_N : 10/11/2019 11:33 am : link
In comment 14624494 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
In comment 14624490 Big_N said:


Quote:


It's going to be "so he threw 3 picks and lost the game BUT here is what is good...."



Yeah, maybe... Is there a problem with that?

Or should we just focus on the negative with laser-like focus while completely ignoring anything positive.

That's not how I like to watch a rookie, or football in general. To each their own.


Yea I got a problem with it. You have 700k a game future HOL sitting on a bench who was obviously not the problem with this team.

You have a rookie qb who aside from one good game doesn't look very promising.

You have a terrible GM and coach.

Rather than say hooray we won a game every 2 months lets wait till next year. I think it is obvious what needs to be done. Shurmur / Gettleman has to go.

You get a real head coach like that guy from the cowboys ; the OC; You start Eli overhaul this D and the o line and make a run for it next year.
I loved what I have seen out of this kid over the last 4 games  
gmen9892 : 10/11/2019 11:35 am : link
Including last night. Keep in mind, this dude was going up against the best in the business with Belichick and a #1 defense on a short-week, SEVERLY undermanned.

The stats don't look great, but as has been mentioned before, I do not think any of the throws were terrible reads (save for maybe the last one). The first throw he was late on and it was an errant pass. The second INT he waited too long to throw away and it led to his arm getting hit. The 3rd one he was fooled on, but I still think Ellison ran a shit route and rounded it off. Engram is faster and would probably get to that point where DJ threw it and at least cause an incomplete.

All in all, last night was a great learning experience for DJ and he kept battling. When he has a threat of a run game going forward, the RPO will come back into the playbook and that will only help. The future is bright for #8 and I saw a lot of the same great glimpses I saw from Eli in his first year that led me to believe he was the answer for the future.
RE: RE: RE: so every bad game Jones has now  
gmen9892 : 10/11/2019 11:37 am : link
In comment 14624617 Big_N said:
Quote:
In comment 14624494 Britt in VA said:


Quote:


In comment 14624490 Big_N said:


Quote:


It's going to be "so he threw 3 picks and lost the game BUT here is what is good...."



Yeah, maybe... Is there a problem with that?

Or should we just focus on the negative with laser-like focus while completely ignoring anything positive.

That's not how I like to watch a rookie, or football in general. To each their own.



Yea I got a problem with it. You have 700k a game future HOL sitting on a bench who was obviously not the problem with this team.

You have a rookie qb who aside from one good game doesn't look very promising.

You have a terrible GM and coach.

Rather than say hooray we won a game every 2 months lets wait till next year. I think it is obvious what needs to be done. Shurmur / Gettleman has to go.

You get a real head coach like that guy from the cowboys ; the OC; You start Eli overhaul this D and the o line and make a run for it next year.



HAHAH hold up, a real head coach like that guy from the Cowboys? The OC that has led his unit to 3 good games against the Giants defense, the Dolphins, and the Redskins and two terrible games against the Saints and Packers? I can't tell if you are joking. I really hope you are.
I'm sold he's good enough to be a winning QB in the NFL  
arniefez : 10/11/2019 11:40 am : link
a top 10 NFL QB but he is location thrower and does not have an elite arm. So he needs to learn what he can and can't do and he is. He also needs a much better surrounding roster in all areas except RB and a better HC which I don't think he's going to get.
RE: RE: RE: RE: so every bad game Jones has now  
arcarsenal : 10/11/2019 11:43 am : link
In comment 14624632 gmen9892 said:
Quote:
In comment 14624617 Big_N said:


Quote:


In comment 14624494 Britt in VA said:


Quote:


In comment 14624490 Big_N said:


Quote:


It's going to be "so he threw 3 picks and lost the game BUT here is what is good...."



Yeah, maybe... Is there a problem with that?

Or should we just focus on the negative with laser-like focus while completely ignoring anything positive.

That's not how I like to watch a rookie, or football in general. To each their own.



Yea I got a problem with it. You have 700k a game future HOL sitting on a bench who was obviously not the problem with this team.

You have a rookie qb who aside from one good game doesn't look very promising.

You have a terrible GM and coach.

Rather than say hooray we won a game every 2 months lets wait till next year. I think it is obvious what needs to be done. Shurmur / Gettleman has to go.

You get a real head coach like that guy from the cowboys ; the OC; You start Eli overhaul this D and the o line and make a run for it next year.




HAHAH hold up, a real head coach like that guy from the Cowboys? The OC that has led his unit to 3 good games against the Giants defense, the Dolphins, and the Redskins and two terrible games against the Saints and Packers? I can't tell if you are joking. I really hope you are.


This poster is either a troll, or just really fucking obtuse. I'd ignore him.
RE: I'm sold he's good enough to be a winning QB in the NFL  
gmen9892 : 10/11/2019 11:44 am : link
In comment 14624638 arniefez said:
Quote:
a top 10 NFL QB but he is location thrower and does not have an elite arm. So he needs to learn what he can and can't do and he is. He also needs a much better surrounding roster in all areas except RB and a better HC which I don't think he's going to get.


The elite arm thing doesn't bother me. I would put that 3rd or 4th on the list of things you need to see from a good QB. You see guys like Rivers, Brees, Wilson, Watson, and Brady succeeding without elite arm talent.
RE: RE: I'm sold he's good enough to be a winning QB in the NFL  
AndyMilligan : 10/11/2019 11:46 am : link
In comment 14624645 gmen9892 said:
Quote:
In comment 14624638 arniefez said:


Quote:


a top 10 NFL QB but he is location thrower and does not have an elite arm. So he needs to learn what he can and can't do and he is. He also needs a much better surrounding roster in all areas except RB and a better HC which I don't think he's going to get.



The elite arm thing doesn't bother me. I would put that 3rd or 4th on the list of things you need to see from a good QB. You see guys like Rivers, Brees, Wilson, Watson, and Brady succeeding without elite arm talent.


Wilson and Watson have flashed pretty good arms..
Encouraging that the team played for 60 minutes.  
GiantsUA : 10/11/2019 11:52 am : link
As flawed as the roster is the guys competed.

The tackling is a real issue, so many weak miss arm tackles, what happened to shoulder in the belt buckle.

Didn't DJ8 throw faster than Haskins  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 10/11/2019 11:54 am : link
at the combine? You know objective measurements over narrative thing.
RE: RE: That was a much more entertaining game than it should have been.  
Del Shofner : 10/11/2019 11:55 am : link
In comment 14624396 Blue21 said:
Quote:
In comment 14624369 Britt in VA said:


Quote:


I went to bed feeling okay about it all.



I gotta admit it was the first time in a long time despite the score that I went to bed feeling ok about this loss. Four of our best offensive players out and still kept it a game for 3 qtrs.


Agree completely. I don't think Jones is our problem at all, esp. given he's a rookie and that's BB coaching the other team. We were missing our best offensive players (other than DJ), our defense ran out of gas (and isn't that great yet to begin with), and the blocked punt was a killer. I think we'll win next game.
Our WRs were getting very little  
Daniel in MI : 10/11/2019 12:18 pm : link
separation, as mentioned.

That puts DJ in an impossible situation. Either throw into tight windows and risk interceptions, or give up on completions and try to run around versus a pretty good pass rush. He forced some things, and the D made him pay because that's what good Ds do (it's hard for us to remember that). Side note: will we ever have a WR that can make a contested catch? FFS

I was encouraged that we moved the ball at times, and that he didn't look overwhelmed by the moment (national TV, short week, BB's D, away, etc.).

Let's remember, as a rookie Eli had that Raven's game where he had a QB rating of 0.0. I happen to be at that game which was in Baltimore, and it was totally depressing. At no point did the O look as good as it did for short stretches last night. It was utter futility. We didn't look great, but we didn't look like we were overwhelmed most of the time last night. And with a very depleted cast of characters.

If DJ gets a little run game help, and a little separation from WRs, and some blocking (preferably on the same plays)? I don't think there's much doubt he can perform. I'm not saying it all has to be great for him to succeed like it felt with Eli the last couple of years, just a bit more help than he's getting now and I think DJ can move the team. He's going to throw INTs, he's going to miss open guys. All QBs do. I'm more concerned that he doesn't become so obsessed with not throwing INTs that he won't put it out there. As Aikman said, and I believe, accuracy is a thing you have or you don't. It doesn't seem to get better. DJ has it and if we can give him a chance to use it, he seem like he can succeed. Each outing is experience, as long as he doesn't take away the wrong lesson. I'm glad he kept ripping it last night. Better than folding the tent, checking down constantly, or trying to run on every play.

all of the INTS were bad throws/decisions by Jones  
Vanzetti : 10/11/2019 12:21 pm : link
They were all his fault.

But what is encouraging is he didn't crawl into a shell. Instead, he came out firing and stayed aggressive
RE: RE: RE: so every bad game Jones has now  
Scuzzlebutt : 10/11/2019 12:25 pm : link
In comment 14624617 Big_N said:
Quote:
In comment 14624494 Britt in VA said:


Quote:


In comment 14624490 Big_N said:


Quote:


It's going to be "so he threw 3 picks and lost the game BUT here is what is good...."



Yeah, maybe... Is there a problem with that?

Or should we just focus on the negative with laser-like focus while completely ignoring anything positive.

That's not how I like to watch a rookie, or football in general. To each their own.



Yea I got a problem with it. You have 700k a game future HOL sitting on a bench who was obviously not the problem with this team.

You have a rookie qb who aside from one good game doesn't look very promising.

You have a terrible GM and coach.

Rather than say hooray we won a game every 2 months lets wait till next year. I think it is obvious what needs to be done. Shurmur / Gettleman has to go.

You get a real head coach like that guy from the cowboys ; the OC; You start Eli overhaul this D and the o line and make a run for it next year.


You sound like the owner of the Browns... fire everyone and start over every couple of years. That is a guaranteed formula for remaining a bottom of the barrel team.
Plenty of good  
Thegratefulhead : 10/11/2019 12:28 pm : link
I look for traits. I start with accuracy. Jones has elite accuracy. Then I look for the ability to handle pressure. Situational and actual. Jones handles both very well. Touch, he has it, he can flick his wrist in a way that makes the ball seem to float. Not all QBs do this well. Then timing, he does a very good job hitting receivers running in stride across the field. He can do it. Anticipation, can you throw the ball before the receiver breaks or are you a grip it and rip it guy? Jones throws with anticipation. Toughness, is the QB willing to be hit? Jones might be too brave. This is a concern for me. He never gives up on a play, he waits too long and this causes turn overs. He needs to recognize when to throw it away a half second sooner.

Jones has the inherent traits necessary. Accuracy, timing and touch, you have it or don't. He can LEARN when to give up on a play. Game experience is the cure. No other way to learn it. This was why it was good to get him in early this year. I stand by that Jones is not going to be a good QB, he will be a great one. We just need time. Look at his 3rd and long stats, look at tight window throws.
RE: He had Slayton deep early in the game....  
Nine-Tails : 10/11/2019 12:39 pm : link
In comment 14624378 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
and missed it. I think the wind played a part, as we were going into it in the first quarter.

But that was the right read and would have been a TD if he hit it.


Even if he placed it perfectly, there's a good chance the safety would've been able to make a play also
RE: RE: RE: RE: so every bad game Jones has now  
Big_N : 10/11/2019 12:48 pm : link
In comment 14624632 gmen9892 said:
Quote:
In comment 14624617 Big_N said:


Quote:


In comment 14624494 Britt in VA said:


Quote:


In comment 14624490 Big_N said:


Quote:


It's going to be "so he threw 3 picks and lost the game BUT here is what is good...."



Yeah, maybe... Is there a problem with that?

Or should we just focus on the negative with laser-like focus while completely ignoring anything positive.

That's not how I like to watch a rookie, or football in general. To each their own.



Yea I got a problem with it. You have 700k a game future HOL sitting on a bench who was obviously not the problem with this team.

You have a rookie qb who aside from one good game doesn't look very promising.

You have a terrible GM and coach.

Rather than say hooray we won a game every 2 months lets wait till next year. I think it is obvious what needs to be done. Shurmur / Gettleman has to go.

You get a real head coach like that guy from the cowboys ; the OC; You start Eli overhaul this D and the o line and make a run for it next year.




HAHAH hold up, a real head coach like that guy from the Cowboys? The OC that has led his unit to 3 good games against the Giants defense, the Dolphins, and the Redskins and two terrible games against the Saints and Packers? I can't tell if you are joking. I really hope you are.


yea ok buddy. your opinions on kellen moore are just that opinions.

the facts are pretty much if Dallas doesn't win the super bowl he pretty much has the HC job in dallas (if someone else doesn't get him first).
He was fine he just needs to protect the football  
hitdog42 : 10/11/2019 12:53 pm : link
everything else is there.

in particular, all turnovers arent created equal. some of his were high risk low reward- those are TOs that frequently bothered me with Eli. throwing a 6 yard pass into traffic with no upside is different then airing one downfield 40 yards and the corner makes a good play-

but overall nothing last night takes away from the positive view on him, his supporting cast might have been the worst in nfl history at the skill positions- but they battled.
The excuse machine is in full operation  
HomerJones45 : 10/11/2019 1:18 pm : link
he had a terrible game, and Lil Bill took the rookie apart like a dollar watch- disguised coverages, disciplined pass rush, a guy watching for the rollouts and getting in his grill when he rolled out. He didn't have much choice but to keep flinging the ball-they weren't sending Eli in to relieve him and Eli wasn't going if they tried.

What you need to watch is whether other DC's can pull off the same or some version of it and whether Jones can adjust his game.
He's  
charlito : 10/11/2019 1:20 pm : link
Going to be a great quarterback
^  
arniefez : 10/11/2019 1:20 pm : link
completely ignorant
^ was for Homer  
arniefez : 10/11/2019 1:23 pm : link
He's shown he's good enough to win with. Nothing that happened last night is a long term issue and nothing he's shown in the first 4 games says he's going to be great. We've seen enough to know he was a good pick. What he becomes down the road is up to who coaches him and who surrounds him. Right now his coaches and teammates for the most part stink.
...  
christian : 10/11/2019 1:25 pm : link
When roster construction time comes up next year, I think you have your answer to "but Shepard, Engram, and Barkley will get all the touches, why does it matter who's behind them."
RE: That was a much more entertaining game than it should have been.  
Dinger : 10/11/2019 1:39 pm : link
In comment 14624369 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
I went to bed feeling okay about it all.


I went to bed angry, I guess I was pissed at the final score as opposed to how I felt the Giants played.

I woke up feeling great about the QB and the talent on D. The best game I've seen Carter play. Golden, well he just keeps getting better (Marcus). I feel like I saw Baker make some quality plays and though he had a few hiccups I'm encouraged by his play last night. Mayo was a pleasant surprise. And really our front 3 are getting better and better. This seems to be the one unit that has shown steady upward progress the entire season.

Still a lot of work to be done. Especially among the coaches but engouraged by some of the talent we have.
RE: Encouraging that the team played for 60 minutes.  
Big_N : 10/11/2019 2:43 pm : link
In comment 14624652 GiantsUA said:
Quote:
As flawed as the roster is the guys competed.

The tackling is a real issue, so many weak miss arm tackles, what happened to shoulder in the belt buckle.


Although I have a feeling it was only because it is the Patriots. They got up to play. You can expect their lack of effort like in the other games and a coach he won't motivate them at all.
RE: Our WRs were getting very little  
NikkiMac : 10/11/2019 4:26 pm : link
In comment 14624713 Daniel in MI said:
Quote:
separation, as mentioned.

That puts DJ in an impossible situation. Either throw into tight windows and risk interceptions, or give up on completions and try to run around versus a pretty good pass rush. He forced some things, and the D made him pay because that's what good Ds do (it's hard for us to remember that). Side note: will we ever have a WR that can make a contested catch? FFS

I was encouraged that we moved the ball at times, and that he didn't look overwhelmed by the moment (national TV, short week, BB's D, away, etc.).

Let's remember, as a rookie Eli had that Raven's game where he had a QB rating of 0.0. I happen to be at that game which was in Baltimore, and it was totally depressing. At no point did the O look as good as it did for short stretches last night. It was utter futility. We didn't look great, but we didn't look like we were overwhelmed most of the time last night. And with a very depleted cast of characters.

If DJ gets a little run game help, and a little separation from WRs, and some blocking (preferably on the same plays)? I don't think there's much doubt he can perform. I'm not saying it all has to be great for him to succeed like it felt with Eli the last couple of years, just a bit more help than he's getting now and I think DJ can move the team. He's going to throw INTs, he's going to miss open guys. All QBs do. I'm more concerned that he doesn't become so obsessed with not throwing INTs that he won't put it out there. As Aikman said, and I believe, accuracy is a thing you have or you don't. It doesn't seem to get better. DJ has it and if we can give him a chance to use it, he seem like he can succeed. Each outing is experience, as long as he doesn't take away the wrong lesson. I'm glad he kept ripping it last night. Better than folding the tent, checking down constantly, or trying to run on every play.




I agree and if only 2 guys are getting open why not put Penny and the HB in at the same time with a TE at least if nobody is open maybe you can complete some flair passes , I donít know what that formation is called these days but 2 WR 2RB 1 TE I think they should use a little more of that with Barkley
,
The game pissed me off for a number of reasons ..  
Bluesbreaker : 10/11/2019 4:43 pm : link
Not gonna put the team down for the effort ..
Jones had little to work with and made some terrible throws
ect he has to cut down on turnovers and to get rid of
the ball sooner I know he holds hoping for a guy to get
open but when he waits too long then his option to
take off with the ball will yield little .
The refs stunk and the lack of calls against the Pats was
absurd . The play calling and guys like Hilliman and Stupar
just make me crazy . punting on 4th and two was awful .
first time i ever saw the punter hit the blocker in the
back of the head . Thats on the coaches as is the fumble TD
return . Pats were obnoxious and arrogant .
We rest up get some guys back and get back on track with
the Cards coming to town .
There were a lot of correctable things from last night  
.McL. : 10/11/2019 4:46 pm : link
For example:

When to throw it away
When to take off
When not to expose himself to injury risk

But there were certainly more than just a couple of bad reads and throws to players that he shouldn't have thrown to.

The other problem I have been seeing over the past few games, was something I raised in my original report on him I did after the draft.

He still has some issues judging how the defenders will react to his throw. In particular that there may be more than just the primary defender that he needs to consider. There is less of it now than I saw of him in college. It seems the staff has been working with him on it.
RE: There were a lot of correctable things from last night  
AndyMilligan : 10/11/2019 4:50 pm : link
In comment 14625191 .McL. said:
Quote:
For example:

When to throw it away
When to take off
When not to expose himself to injury risk

But there were certainly more than just a couple of bad reads and throws to players that he shouldn't have thrown to.

The other problem I have been seeing over the past few games, was something I raised in my original report on him I did after the draft.

He still has some issues judging how the defenders will react to his throw. In particular that there may be more than just the primary defender that he needs to consider. There is less of it now than I saw of him in college. It seems the staff has been working with him on it.

I'm with you. There ws some good from last night, but overall the performance clouds the picture of Jones for me. There was poor decision making and some piss poor accuracy. I still think he will be good but people saying he is elite this and surefire that need to slow their roll. I am not sure what we have yet and the full range of possible outcomes are still on the table.. from complete bust to Brady/Rodgers upside.
RE: RE: There were a lot of correctable things from last night  
.McL. : 10/11/2019 5:00 pm : link
In comment 14625199 AndyMilligan said:
Quote:
In comment 14625191 .McL. said:


Quote:


For example:

When to throw it away
When to take off
When not to expose himself to injury risk

But there were certainly more than just a couple of bad reads and throws to players that he shouldn't have thrown to.

The other problem I have been seeing over the past few games, was something I raised in my original report on him I did after the draft.

He still has some issues judging how the defenders will react to his throw. In particular that there may be more than just the primary defender that he needs to consider. There is less of it now than I saw of him in college. It seems the staff has been working with him on it.


I'm with you. There ws some good from last night, but overall the performance clouds the picture of Jones for me. There was poor decision making and some piss poor accuracy. I still think he will be good but people saying he is elite this and surefire that need to slow their roll. I am not sure what we have yet and the full range of possible outcomes are still on the table.. from complete bust to Brady/Rodgers upside.

Agreed.

I have said in earlier posts, that we really won't know what we have in him until January 2021. You have to give opposing teams enough film them to find weaknesses expose them, and see if DJ adjusts.
RE: RE: RE: There were a lot of correctable things from last night  
AndyMilligan : 10/11/2019 5:13 pm : link
In comment 14625217 .McL. said:
Quote:
In comment 14625199 AndyMilligan said:


Quote:


In comment 14625191 .McL. said:


Quote:


For example:

When to throw it away
When to take off
When not to expose himself to injury risk

But there were certainly more than just a couple of bad reads and throws to players that he shouldn't have thrown to.

The other problem I have been seeing over the past few games, was something I raised in my original report on him I did after the draft.

He still has some issues judging how the defenders will react to his throw. In particular that there may be more than just the primary defender that he needs to consider. There is less of it now than I saw of him in college. It seems the staff has been working with him on it.


I'm with you. There ws some good from last night, but overall the performance clouds the picture of Jones for me. There was poor decision making and some piss poor accuracy. I still think he will be good but people saying he is elite this and surefire that need to slow their roll. I am not sure what we have yet and the full range of possible outcomes are still on the table.. from complete bust to Brady/Rodgers upside.


Agreed.

I have said in earlier posts, that we really won't know what we have in him until January 2021. You have to give opposing teams enough film them to find weaknesses expose them, and see if DJ adjusts.


yes. for a player like Jones that makes sense. There are players that transcend that cycle - Mahomes. But Jones seems like a player that will have to show that he can perform and then react to changing schemes. Though I would add there are some more fundamental questions still with Jones. What is his accuracy? What is his decision-making? If we had to take the last two weeks at face value we would have to conclude: bad. But he's a rook so he gets to be graded on a curve. We must see improvement in these areas first. Then we can wonder will he be able to beat other team's adjustments.
RE: The thing is, I rarely see a defense fool him....  
Matt M. : 10/11/2019 6:40 pm : link
In comment 14624433 Britt in VA said:
Quote:
he doesn't get baited into throwing into double coverage. He doesn't throw those sort of "WTF" INT's that don't seem to have any rhyme or reason to them.
I'm not really concerned about it, but INT #3 was precisely a bad read/poor decision.
RE: Hear, hear.  
santacruzom : 10/11/2019 6:52 pm : link
In comment 14624370 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:
Quote:
The kid has balls. Also didn't help he was without like every weapon we have, a howling wind, & facing off against probably the coaching GOAT.


He does indeed have guts and moxie. He deserves a coach with the same.
The one thing that irks me  
Leg of Theismann : 10/11/2019 7:24 pm : link
is continuously seeing posters saying things like "proud this team played a full 60 minutes" and "these guys really played hard for Shurmur, didn't lie down" etc. They approached this game exactly as I would expect a group of young guys to approach a game like this: like it was their own personal 2019 super bowl. They had a shot at the league's finest, and not only that but NFL HISTORY'S finest in Belichick and Brady. They are professional competitors, of course they were going to play their hearts out. I don't know why anyone is shocked at that or thinks it had anything to do with Shurmur. When you're the New England Patriots you get everyone's best shot and that's what we saw last night, guys flying around with nothing to lose giving 110%. I mean yeah it was fun to watch, but I don't see why people continuously point to that as some impressive thing. It's exactly what I would expect from some young and hungry professional athletes.
RE: so every bad game Jones has now  
BestFeature : 10/11/2019 9:56 pm : link
In comment 14624490 Big_N said:
Quote:
It's going to be "so he threw 3 picks and lost the game BUT here is what is good...."


You might be the worst poster on BBI.
RE: RE: so every bad game Jones has now  
Canton : 10/12/2019 5:21 am : link
In comment 14625457 BestFeature said:
Quote:
In comment 14624490 Big_N said:


Quote:


It's going to be "so he threw 3 picks and lost the game BUT here is what is good...."



You might be the worst poster on BBI.



The Big_Nancy..

Isn't doing himself favors. Read more post less.
RE: RE: RE: so every bad game Jones has now  
Big_N : 10/12/2019 8:04 am : link
In comment 14625530 Canton said:
Quote:
In comment 14625457 BestFeature said:


Quote:


In comment 14624490 Big_N said:


Quote:


It's going to be "so he threw 3 picks and lost the game BUT here is what is good...."



You might be the worst poster on BBI.




The Big_Nancy..

Isn't doing himself favors. Read more post less.


don't tell me what to do .. he played like shit and you know it.
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner