Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Seems Shep is practicing today (at least limited)

SicilianGMEN : 10/14/2019 10:30 am
The Giant Insider Newspaper & Podcast
@GiantInsider
Man, could be totally off with Shep, heís out here with helmet on working with receivers.
If he gets another concussion, he should take the money he has  
Ira : 10/14/2019 10:32 am : link
and retire to protect his health.
I'd love to have him back...  
Metnut : 10/14/2019 10:35 am : link
but he probably needs to take a few more weeks off for his health. Seems like targeting a return after the bye would make sense.

On the other hand, the doctors know more about this stuff than us. If they clear him, then he's going to play.
This is great news  
Jay on the Island : 10/14/2019 10:44 am : link
but also very concerning. If he suffers another concussion this season then his career is in jeopardy.

On the other hand the Giants desperately need him if they want to stay competitive. IMO Barkley will be back versus the Cards and Engram could return the week after. It would be great to see the offense at full strength for once.
Concussions are nothing to mess  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 10/14/2019 10:55 am : link
around with.
If  
Ron Johnson : 10/14/2019 10:56 am : link
a player goes into concussion protocol, does it mean he definitely had a concussion, or could it have been precautionary?
While I understand that  
section125 : 10/14/2019 10:57 am : link
getting two in 3 weeks is pretty quick, we have no idea of the severity of each. The last one he was cleared to play during the game and then had some symptoms(I'd presume headaches) on Monday. I also realize that each succeeding one is easier to get(IIRC) and it may take up to two years to completely heal.

That said, hopefully the neurologists are extremely careful with him. He appears to be a great person and somebody that young does not need to become crippled because he want to play. It took Clint Frazier almost a year to clear up and his did not look that bad against a cyclone fence. So it would behoove the Giants to tread lightly.
There is a chance  
Jolly Blue Giant : 10/14/2019 11:10 am : link
He didnít get a second concussion but still had lingering effects from the first.
RE: While I understand that  
jvm52106 : 10/14/2019 11:37 am : link
In comment 14628183 section125 said:
Quote:
getting two in 3 weeks is pretty quick, we have no idea of the severity of each. The last one he was cleared to play during the game and then had some symptoms(I'd presume headaches) on Monday. I also realize that each succeeding one is easier to get(IIRC) and it may take up to two years to completely heal.

That said, hopefully the neurologists are extremely careful with him. He appears to be a great person and somebody that young does not need to become crippled because he want to play. It took Clint Frazier almost a year to clear up and his did not look that bad against a cyclone fence. So it would behoove the Giants to tread lightly.


Just to correct what you wrote, he wasn't cleared to play in game with a concussion. He was cleared to play in game because somebody felt he didn't have a concussion. If you have a concussion you are OUT of the game. They can't clear you a little later. Basically he was diagnosed as not being concussed during the game.
RE: RE: While I understand that  
jvm52106 : 10/14/2019 11:38 am : link
In comment 14628247 jvm52106 said:
Quote:
In comment 14628183 section125 said:


Quote:


getting two in 3 weeks is pretty quick, we have no idea of the severity of each. The last one he was cleared to play during the game and then had some symptoms(I'd presume headaches) on Monday. I also realize that each succeeding one is easier to get(IIRC) and it may take up to two years to completely heal.

That said, hopefully the neurologists are extremely careful with him. He appears to be a great person and somebody that young does not need to become crippled because he want to play. It took Clint Frazier almost a year to clear up and his did not look that bad against a cyclone fence. So it would behoove the Giants to tread lightly.



Just to correct what you wrote, he wasn't cleared to play in game with a concussion. He was cleared to play in game because somebody felt he didn't have a concussion. If you have a concussion you are OUT of the game. They can't clear you a little later. Basically he was diagnosed as not being concussed during the game.


Which BTW is why there was an uproar from NFLPA about this. They wanted to know how he was cleared to play when he ended up having a concussion.
RE: If  
NYG007 : 10/14/2019 11:44 am : link
In comment 14628182 Ron Johnson said:
Quote:
a player goes into concussion protocol, does it mean he definitely had a concussion, or could it have been precautionary?


Yes. He went into it because he reported symptoms the Monday after his last game. He cleared the tests during the game. So they have to take all measures.
Shep  
Archer : 10/14/2019 12:11 pm : link
I wonder if the Giants should use Shepard exclusively on the outside.

They should put Tate in the slot.

It seems that Shepard is exposed and vulnerable going across the middle. There is no guarantee that he won't be injured on the outside but he has a better chance to protect himself.
Archer  
Marty866b : 10/14/2019 1:47 pm : link
Great point there on Shep.
His Second  
Angus : 10/14/2019 4:11 pm : link
Came when he was on the outside, though.
It's not worth it.  
FStubbs : 10/14/2019 4:14 pm : link
He really needs to sit at least the next 5-6 games if not the season.
I hope  
Jay in Toronto : 10/14/2019 8:23 pm : link
He is getting the best medical care and advice
RE: If he gets another concussion, he should take the money he has  
islander1 : 10/15/2019 8:03 am : link
In comment 14628149 Ira said:
Quote:
and retire to protect his health.


Yeah. Man I would hate to see Shep's life permanently ruined by head injuries.

I'm not an expert on concussions, but my gut tells me he shouldn't get hit anytime soon.
Back to the Corner