Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

49ers

Route 9 : 10/14/2019 3:36 pm
Just out of curiosity, what does the BBI elite think of the undefeated, 2019 49ers? I haven't watched any 49ers games this year and I don't know. Fill me in, they play a bunch of loser opponents like Dallas did, or did they have some good drafting? Personnel change?

Think they'll go far?
Defense  
djstat : 10/14/2019 3:37 pm : link
Is legit. They run the ball well. Solid team
The defense is very solid  
Jints in Carolina : 10/14/2019 3:39 pm : link
and they have enough of an offense to score points...they're legit to me.
Kyle Shanahan  
allstarjim : 10/14/2019 3:40 pm : link
Could be the coach of the year. They are playing at a very high level, and they are definitely the real deal.

Their DL might be the best in football and there are some teams with great defensive line play.

I think their offense is a blueprint of what the Giants should try to emulate. Hell, their defense, too.
I think they'll be good  
pjcas18 : 10/14/2019 3:41 pm : link
until Nick Bosa gets busted for PEDs.

He looks like a man among boys out there and he's a rookie. He's collapsing pockets, bull rushing big tackles. He's making plays even when it's not him who gets credit. It doesn't hurt they have 5(?) 1st round picks on that D.

That DL sets the tone.

Garrappolo does just enough and they have IMO one of the best two-way TE in the league with Kittle .

and even Weston Richburg looks decent in their system.

They have dealt with a bunch of injuries this year and in years past.  
robbieballs2003 : 10/14/2019 3:44 pm : link
If they can get and stay healthy then they are as good as anybody in the NFC.
Defense  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 10/14/2019 3:44 pm : link
is very, very good.
Well coached, well managed team  
Go Terps : 10/14/2019 3:46 pm : link
.
Impressed so far  
Lines of Scrimmage : 10/14/2019 3:48 pm : link
and not BBI elite.

Let's see how they handle any defensive injuries and how well Shanahan coaches in the playoffs. They have had the benefit of drafting low for a few years now and added some nice players.

I look forward to the Giants beating them in a couple years in their Jean stadium as a heavy favorite.......again!
Shanahan  
Kyle in NY : 10/14/2019 3:48 pm : link
is so smart, doesn't miss a thing and knows how to game plan and get the most out of his personnel. They had every excuse to go down yesterday on a short week, Rams were desperate with extra time to prepare. Really impressed with them.

Look what's happened to Atlanta since he left after the super bowl. He's a top 5 coach and it shows in their results
RE: Shanahan  
pjcas18 : 10/14/2019 3:50 pm : link
In comment 14628664 Kyle in NY said:
Quote:
is so smart, doesn't miss a thing and knows how to game plan and get the most out of his personnel. They had every excuse to go down yesterday on a short week, Rams were desperate with extra time to prepare. Really impressed with them.

Look what's happened to Atlanta since he left after the super bowl. He's a top 5 coach and it shows in their results


Wasn't he responsible, at least partly, for that Super Bowl debacle? Otherwise I agree. Smart coach.
Their defense is cold-cocking...  
M.S. : 10/14/2019 3:52 pm : link

...teams.

DeForrest Buckner is one large human being.
didnt DG want bucker  
Payasdaddy : 10/14/2019 3:58 pm : link
as part of a potential Odell deal? Think it was discussed
Watched  
DG_89 : 10/14/2019 4:02 pm : link
their game vs the Rams yesterday. That D is the truth. Shut a high scoring Rams offense down. It's like the Harbaugh years all over again. Scary defense, solid running game, QB that does enough. Could they make noise? Remains to be seen
they have built a Super bowl prototype  
gtt350 : 10/14/2019 4:03 pm : link
3 excellent running backs, actually they have 4, Killer Edge rusher,
stout front 7 , well coached team
.  
AndyMilligan : 10/14/2019 4:07 pm : link
Super Bowl contender.
Rams  
Danny L : 10/14/2019 4:12 pm : link
suck this year.
That said, 9'ers D is outstanding and their D coach is doin a heck of a job.
Fans and the media were killing Garoppolo  
Big Blue '56 : 10/14/2019 4:13 pm : link
for all his INTS during OTAS and Minicamps. Can you fucking imagine thay?
You mean the same  
Dnew15 : 10/14/2019 4:15 pm : link
49ers team that hasn't had a winning season in 5 years. The same team that was 25-55 during that time span. The same team that has given Kyle S. three years to put the team together and coach "his guys" despite going 10-22 the last 2 years....that 49ers team?
RE: I think they'll be good  
FStubbs : 10/14/2019 4:17 pm : link
In comment 14628650 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
until Nick Bosa gets busted for PEDs.

He looks like a man among boys out there and he's a rookie. He's collapsing pockets, bull rushing big tackles. He's making plays even when it's not him who gets credit. It doesn't hurt they have 5(?) 1st round picks on that D.

That DL sets the tone.

Garrappolo does just enough and they have IMO one of the best two-way TE in the league with Kittle .

and even Weston Richburg looks decent in their system.


What makes you think Bosa is juiced?
RE: didnt DG want bucker  
FStubbs : 10/14/2019 4:18 pm : link
In comment 14628679 Payasdaddy said:
Quote:
as part of a potential Odell deal? Think it was discussed


I had always heard that the trade with SF was simple. Beckham for the #2 overall pick straight up.
Reminds Me a Little of 2011 Niners  
clatterbuck : 10/14/2019 4:18 pm : link
team,strong, tough defense and game manager at QB. Not much downfield passing, passing game focused on TE. This team has better running game.
RE: You mean the same  
allstarjim : 10/14/2019 4:18 pm : link
In comment 14628705 Dnew15 said:
Quote:
49ers team that hasn't had a winning season in 5 years. The same team that was 25-55 during that time span. The same team that has given Kyle S. three years to put the team together and coach "his guys" despite going 10-22 the last 2 years....that 49ers team?


LOL, I see what you did there. Excellent point, and a good lesson for the BBI pitchfork crowd.
RE: RE: I think they'll be good  
pjcas18 : 10/14/2019 4:22 pm : link
In comment 14628708 FStubbs said:
Quote:
In comment 14628650 pjcas18 said:


Quote:


until Nick Bosa gets busted for PEDs.

He looks like a man among boys out there and he's a rookie. He's collapsing pockets, bull rushing big tackles. He's making plays even when it's not him who gets credit. It doesn't hurt they have 5(?) 1st round picks on that D.

That DL sets the tone.

Garrappolo does just enough and they have IMO one of the best two-way TE in the league with Kittle .

and even Weston Richburg looks decent in their system.




What makes you think Bosa is juiced?


well I think the majority of NFL players take some sort of PED's but he's like that guy from the Program.

I shouldn't have said that he was, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is.
I hope this..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 10/14/2019 4:26 pm : link
was in jest:

Quote:
What makes you think Bosa is juiced?


The Boa brothers are both well-known for their PED use.
With Kittle  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 10/14/2019 4:38 pm : link
even Nick fucking Mullens can throw for a 90 passer rating and shatter historic records.
49ers  
Longtimelurker : 10/14/2019 4:43 pm : link
Very strong defense which could be even better if Solomon Thomas wasn’t a complete bust taken 3rd overall and Reuben foster being released after two years.
Have watched them.....  
OBJRoyal : 10/14/2019 4:50 pm : link
A few times and that defense just stands out. They fly around making plays, led by the DL. The offense does ok, good running game and a legit TE in Kittle
RE: RE: Shanahan  
Kyle in NY : 10/14/2019 4:50 pm : link
In comment 14628666 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
In comment 14628664 Kyle in NY said:


Quote:


is so smart, doesn't miss a thing and knows how to game plan and get the most out of his personnel. They had every excuse to go down yesterday on a short week, Rams were desperate with extra time to prepare. Really impressed with them.

Look what's happened to Atlanta since he left after the super bowl. He's a top 5 coach and it shows in their results



Wasn't he responsible, at least partly, for that Super Bowl debacle? Otherwise I agree. Smart coach.


He certainly made mistakes in that second half as far as his game management. But I imagine he’s learned a lot from that and the outlier in Matt Ryan’s career is very clearly the time he had Shanahan as his OC
I caught a few offensive plays  
santacruzom : 10/14/2019 4:51 pm : link
I'd like to see the Giants copy more often. Breida seems to be a really good player, but it would be a shame if the 9ers get more big plays out of him in the passing game than we do with Barkley.
Dear DG  
Coach Red Beaulieu : 10/14/2019 5:04 pm : link
moar Big 10 TEs and LBs please.
I wonder if Jerrick McKinnon  
pjcas18 : 10/14/2019 5:09 pm : link
ever plays again.

They shelled out decent money for him and he was injured before ever taking a regular season snap.

I'm still not convinced on their offense...  
Johnny5 : 10/14/2019 5:32 pm : link
... but that defense is totally legit.
Lynch has drafted very well...  
bw in dc : 10/14/2019 5:38 pm : link
They are absolutely loaded on defense.

I would not be surprised if they are in the hunt for another WR by the trade deadline. A vertical threat would definitely help.
Was patiently waiting for this thread  
NINEster : 10/14/2019 5:52 pm : link
to pop up.

A few things:

1) Shanahan is IMO the best offensive mind in the game, and has been for some time but he hasn't had all the pieces together to show it until now. He's every bit the reason why the Redskins had a relevant rookie of the year RG3, and why the Falcons had a record setting offense that went to (and should have won) the Super Bowl.

Last year the big disconnect was "WTF are these guys and why do they move the ball better than Harbaugh's units without all those big name guys?". Schematically, Shanahan would have won a SB with the Niners under Harbaugh with ease. Just think of Alex Smith in KC vs SF......noticeable difference, and a lot of that is just running a real scheme.

2) The last two drafts and free agency have really set the tone. You have two very good LBs and two strong edge rushers between now and last September. Sherman is healthy and back to his Seattle (on the field) ways. A top slot CB. CBs that won't get abused anymore.

The other part is the Shanahan upgraded the DL and DB coaching this offseason which is paying off huge dividends. This can't be overlooked. The DC Saleh is maybe overachieving now whereas in the past two years he looked like the weak link. Not saying he's Phillips or Fangio, but it looks like he knows how to coach within the limits of the 4-3 Cover 3 system he learned in Seattle, and of course his personality galvanizes.

3) Non sexy run stuffers like Arik Armstead, Solomon Thomas, and perhaps Ronald Blair can now be greater than the sum of their parts when paired with the studs of Buckner, Bosa, Ford. Thomas finally made a play worthy of #3 overall yesterday.

When 80% of your last first round picks are DL, FFS it's gotta get good eventually.

4) The essence of the Shanahan offense is the zone blocking scheme he inherited from his father. He's added tweaks this year including some gap based schemes. He understand the pass game well, but like his father they know how to scheme running games and tweak on the fly which is a novelty to most OCs.

The other big element of his offense is having the best FB in the league be used as a versatile weapon in the pass game, not just the run game. The Niners run more 21 personnel (2 RB, 1 TE) than anyone else, because they can force teams into base defensive looks and still offer the passing threats you typically associate with 11 personnel. His two highlights from the Steelers game you won't see from another FB, a diving catch and throwing Minkah Fitzpatrick on the ground.

Now with Juszczyk out for the next month it will be a lot more 12 and 13 looks. It was supposed to be a problem against the Rams, and production wise it was. But they adjusted enough to move the ball regardless.

I imagine they will survive until they get their horses back in a month.

5) The Jimmy G 2017 aura has two things IMO that separate him from now where people feel he's not a special QB:

Playing on a condensed playbook
Much more mobility based throws

I think those two together showed that if he plays more like Rodgers, Mahomes, Wilson, he will be more dangerous than he's perceived. His highlights from that year include those types of plays against the Titans and Jags that we just haven't seen much, even last year pre-injury. The Shanahan system is tough on QBs, to the point where the first year with Matt Ryan made him seem like a regression from his standard mean.

A lot of what people are seeing as a "game manager" is superficial. He's playing completely within the system, the running game is killin it, the ACL recovery, etc. He's making the throws, moving the chains on 3rd down and his WRs in classic Niner fashion drop critical passes.

11-2 as a Niner, 13-2 overall.....

Jimmy G has a lightning fast release which is underrated. As fast as anyone else in the league as far as I'm concerned. You're not going to sack him because he couldn't get the ball out.

His TD/INT ratio isn't where I'd like it to be right now...it hasn't been great as a 49er (NE I don't think he has any interceptions), but I expect it to get better with time. I've had enough years watching Smith to not be too critical of this part of his game right now.

Better to reserve judgment of him in December where Shanahan's offense has put up their best numbers the last two seasons.

6) The injury bug - the team has been snake bitten the last few years. It's tough to be a good team when you're young, haven't won anything yet, barely have a decent roster and lose what you have.

This year, already down starting tackles, a starting CB, now FB, and still winning is pretty impressive.

I would be lying if I predicted the 49ers would be 5-0 at this point, but at the same time not completely shocked that it could happen. This roster is night & day better than the one that Garoppolo first took over, so why couldn't they beat teams?

Only concern I have going forward is health.

Football Outsiders have SF & NE at #1 and #2 overall DVOA. That tie in to undefeated records show it's more than just playing competition with a combined losing record.

Last year's Niners got swept by #1 draft pick Arizona despite outgaining them two to one. They were a 8-10 win team even with Mullens just performing like a 4 win team.

This year's team gives up 4 unforced turnovers to the Steelers and still beats them with a -4 differential.

Season is still early, but I think it's safe to say they will be a tough out every game till the end.

Props to I think to "djm" for seeing it in August...
Injury bug? 4 missing starters at this point may be  
Zeke's Alibi : 10/14/2019 5:57 pm : link
league average.
RE: I think they'll be good  
NINEster : 10/14/2019 5:57 pm : link
In comment 14628650 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
until Nick Bosa gets busted for PEDs.

He looks like a man among boys out there and he's a rookie. He's collapsing pockets, bull rushing big tackles. He's making plays even when it's not him who gets credit. It doesn't hurt they have 5(?) 1st round picks on that D.

That DL sets the tone.

Garrappolo does just enough and they have IMO one of the best two-way TE in the league with Kittle .

and even Weston Richburg looks decent in their system.


Richburg is a perfect example of a Shanahan player. He loves his centers. Richburg could be considered the 3rd or 4th more important player on that offense.

RE: Injury bug? 4 missing starters at this point may be  
NINEster : 10/14/2019 5:59 pm : link
In comment 14628796 Zeke's Alibi said:
Quote:
league average.


Last year's injury list and the year before were demoralizing.

What is the BBI elite?  
UberAlias : 10/14/2019 6:07 pm : link
?
RE: What is the BBI elite?  
Route 9 : 10/14/2019 7:10 pm : link
In comment 14628801 UberAlias said:
Quote:
?


Eric updates the list every 6 months
I'm not a 49er believer...yet  
Torrag : 10/14/2019 7:21 pm : link
QB is the question for me. It's hard to have sustained success without consistently reliable QB play.
RE: What is the BBI elite?  
Johnny5 : 10/14/2019 8:32 pm : link
In comment 14628801 UberAlias said:
Quote:
?

I am. You can't spell elite without Johnny.
isn't there a Niners board troll boy could post on?  
Greg from LI : 10/14/2019 8:34 pm : link
Christ
RE: isn't there a Niners board troll boy could post on?  
John In CO : 10/14/2019 10:41 pm : link
In comment 14628898 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
Christ


Considering the topic title is "49'ers", I thought the post was rather informative. Figure anyone reading this thread would maybe want to, you know, discuss the 49'ers.
Have watched a lot of 49ers on Gamepass  
jcp56 : 10/15/2019 1:06 am : link
The running game with Breita, Coleman and Mostert is very good, Kittles is a great TE and the defense front 7 is very good.

Their WRs didn't make a big impression, but they seemed competent. It seems a top-tier WR like Beckam isn't necessary if you have a good group and scheme.

Against the Browns, Breita was great, but the Rams held him in check pretty well, though Coleman looked good running between the tackles. (I think Shanahan may have coached Coleman with the Falcons.)


I watch a lot of condensed games on Gamepass, and the 49ers look like one of the strongest teams, and played well against good competition. It's a long season though, so we'll see how they are playing later in the year.

Garapalo is above average, and maybe that's good enough.
RE: RE: isn't there a Niners board troll boy could post on?  
Route 9 : 10/15/2019 2:47 am : link
In comment 14628978 John In CO said:
Quote:




Considering the topic title is "49'ers", I thought the post was rather informative. Figure anyone reading this thread would maybe want to, you know, discuss the 49'ers.


You're exactly right. I wanted to generate a conversation about the 49ers surprising 5-0 start, I even looked the 49ers up in the search engine to see if somebody else already had posted a thread.

Now, I don't know if he is talking about me or not because out of all the 7+ years I have been on BBI, I've been called tons of things but a "troll" was never one of those things.

Words hurt, Greg.
Very 2000  
HoustonGiant : 10/15/2019 12:40 pm : link
Ravens-esque
RE: RE: RE: isn't there a Niners board troll boy could post on?  
NINEster : 10/15/2019 1:08 pm : link
In comment 14629072 Route 9 said:
Quote:
In comment 14628978 John In CO said:


Quote:






Considering the topic title is "49'ers", I thought the post was rather informative. Figure anyone reading this thread would maybe want to, you know, discuss the 49'ers.



You're exactly right. I wanted to generate a conversation about the 49ers surprising 5-0 start, I even looked the 49ers up in the search engine to see if somebody else already had posted a thread.

Now, I don't know if he is talking about me or not because out of all the 7+ years I have been on BBI, I've been called tons of things but a "troll" was never one of those things.

Words hurt, Greg.


He's likely talking about me.

As if I'm spamming BBI with Niner threads...or talking shit about the Giants.



RE: Was patiently waiting for this thread  
Rafflee : 10/16/2019 7:07 am : link
In comment 14628795 NINEster said:
Quote:
to pop up.

A few things:

1) Shanahan is IMO the best offensive mind in the game, and has been for some time but he hasn't had all the pieces together to show it until now. He's every bit the reason why the Redskins had a relevant rookie of the year RG3, and why the Falcons had a record setting offense that went to (and should have won) the Super Bowl.

Last year the big disconnect was "WTF are these guys and why do they move the ball better than Harbaugh's units without all those big name guys?". Schematically, Shanahan would have won a SB with the Niners under Harbaugh with ease. Just think of Alex Smith in KC vs SF......noticeable difference, and a lot of that is just running a real scheme.

2) The last two drafts and free agency have really set the tone. You have two very good LBs and two strong edge rushers between now and last September. Sherman is healthy and back to his Seattle (on the field) ways. A top slot CB. CBs that won't get abused anymore.

The other part is the Shanahan upgraded the DL and DB coaching this offseason which is paying off huge dividends. This can't be overlooked. The DC Saleh is maybe overachieving now whereas in the past two years he looked like the weak link. Not saying he's Phillips or Fangio, but it looks like he knows how to coach within the limits of the 4-3 Cover 3 system he learned in Seattle, and of course his personality galvanizes.

3) Non sexy run stuffers like Arik Armstead, Solomon Thomas, and perhaps Ronald Blair can now be greater than the sum of their parts when paired with the studs of Buckner, Bosa, Ford. Thomas finally made a play worthy of #3 overall yesterday.

When 80% of your last first round picks are DL, FFS it's gotta get good eventually.

4) The essence of the Shanahan offense is the zone blocking scheme he inherited from his father. He's added tweaks this year including some gap based schemes. He understand the pass game well, but like his father they know how to scheme running games and tweak on the fly which is a novelty to most OCs.

The other big element of his offense is having the best FB in the league be used as a versatile weapon in the pass game, not just the run game. The Niners run more 21 personnel (2 RB, 1 TE) than anyone else, because they can force teams into base defensive looks and still offer the passing threats you typically associate with 11 personnel. His two highlights from the Steelers game you won't see from another FB, a diving catch and throwing Minkah Fitzpatrick on the ground.

Now with Juszczyk out for the next month it will be a lot more 12 and 13 looks. It was supposed to be a problem against the Rams, and production wise it was. But they adjusted enough to move the ball regardless.

I imagine they will survive until they get their horses back in a month.

5) The Jimmy G 2017 aura has two things IMO that separate him from now where people feel he's not a special QB:

Playing on a condensed playbook
Much more mobility based throws

I think those two together showed that if he plays more like Rodgers, Mahomes, Wilson, he will be more dangerous than he's perceived. His highlights from that year include those types of plays against the Titans and Jags that we just haven't seen much, even last year pre-injury. The Shanahan system is tough on QBs, to the point where the first year with Matt Ryan made him seem like a regression from his standard mean.

A lot of what people are seeing as a "game manager" is superficial. He's playing completely within the system, the running game is killin it, the ACL recovery, etc. He's making the throws, moving the chains on 3rd down and his WRs in classic Niner fashion drop critical passes.

11-2 as a Niner, 13-2 overall.....

Jimmy G has a lightning fast release which is underrated. As fast as anyone else in the league as far as I'm concerned. You're not going to sack him because he couldn't get the ball out.

His TD/INT ratio isn't where I'd like it to be right now...it hasn't been great as a 49er (NE I don't think he has any interceptions), but I expect it to get better with time. I've had enough years watching Smith to not be too critical of this part of his game right now.

Better to reserve judgment of him in December where Shanahan's offense has put up their best numbers the last two seasons.

6) The injury bug - the team has been snake bitten the last few years. It's tough to be a good team when you're young, haven't won anything yet, barely have a decent roster and lose what you have.

This year, already down starting tackles, a starting CB, now FB, and still winning is pretty impressive.

I would be lying if I predicted the 49ers would be 5-0 at this point, but at the same time not completely shocked that it could happen. This roster is night & day better than the one that Garoppolo first took over, so why couldn't they beat teams?

Only concern I have going forward is health.

Football Outsiders have SF & NE at #1 and #2 overall DVOA. That tie in to undefeated records show it's more than just playing competition with a combined losing record.

Last year's Niners got swept by #1 draft pick Arizona despite outgaining them two to one. They were a 8-10 win team even with Mullens just performing like a 4 win team.

This year's team gives up 4 unforced turnovers to the Steelers and still beats them with a -4 differential.

Season is still early, but I think it's safe to say they will be a tough out every game till the end.

Props to I think to "djm" for seeing it in August...


I'm not seeing JG as a Playmaker...His talent and His Production have been relatively Vanilla. They haven't needed hom to Elevate the offense..I'm sure that test/opportunity is ahead.

Some nice pieces on offense.... Kittle is a Monster. Collins was criticized last year for getting smoked by Kittle---it's NOW Clear that Kittle cannot be covered. The ensemble at running back is deep and multi talented. I'm looking for Deebo to emerge... the production and growth in the WR's is very much tied to JG and his ability/production.
Number 6 on your list  
Dnew15 : 10/16/2019 7:46 am : link
sounds a lot like the 2019 NYG.
Been ranting about shanny  
idiotsavant : 10/16/2019 8:18 am : link
Since falcons. How they integrate line play (run blocking) into passing game , gets opposing d on it's heels. Outside zone run left, roll out right and all that. Instant to develop runs and east / west

But barely watched even then, haven't seen 9ers yet, this version
That's a really informative post NINEster  
aimrocky : 10/16/2019 8:52 am : link
.
Back to the Corner