Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Would Giants have won with Eli?

Vanzetti : 10/20/2019 7:56 pm
Obviously Eli is not coming back. Nor should he. Giants have to find out what they have with Jones,

But just as a “what if,” would Eli have won this game?



No.  
Bockman : 10/20/2019 7:57 pm : link
And stop.
No  
mattnyg05 : 10/20/2019 7:58 pm : link
You’d have the same turnovers and none of the plays that Jones made. I love Eli but this would have been a disaster if he started.
Seriously?  
Jay on the Island : 10/20/2019 7:58 pm : link
No the Giants would have scored less.
Vanzetti  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 10/20/2019 7:58 pm : link
More important question: What is better for the franchise? Eli playing today and the Giants winning. Or Daniel playing and the Giants losing?

I pick the latter.
It really doesn't matter if we would or not  
PatersonPlank : 10/20/2019 8:00 pm : link
A extra win here or there is meaningless, we are building for the future (or trying to).
I’d say no......Eli wasn’t getting  
Simms11 : 10/20/2019 8:00 pm : link
much more from this offense. Oline appeared putrid!
While it is a legitimate question, Eric's point if valid. Jones has a  
Ira : 10/20/2019 8:00 pm : link
lot to clean up, but he's a talented young qb.
RE: Vanzetti  
81_Great_Dane : 10/20/2019 8:02 pm : link
In comment 14637470 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
More important question: What is better for the franchise? Eli playing today and the Giants winning. Or Daniel playing and the Giants losing?

I pick the latter.
Agree.
here' my answer  
bc4life : 10/20/2019 8:03 pm : link
no running game - Barkley only 70 yards. 8 sacks, 12 QB hits.

and no OBJ - does that sound like a formula in which Eli could win? Did I mention the droppped passes?
RE: No.  
gmenatlarge : 10/20/2019 8:03 pm : link
In comment 14637465 Bockman said:
Quote:
And stop.


Please!
RE: RE: Vanzetti  
Vanzetti : 10/20/2019 8:04 pm : link
In comment 14637483 81_Great_Dane said:
Quote:
In comment 14637470 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


More important question: What is better for the franchise? Eli playing today and the Giants winning. Or Daniel playing and the Giants losing?

I pick the latter.

Agree.


I think you guys just read the thread title and not the OP. I state quite clearly that DJ has to play and this is just a what if question
RE: RE: Vanzetti  
giantsFC : 10/20/2019 8:05 pm : link
In comment 14637483 81_Great_Dane said:
Quote:
In comment 14637470 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


More important question: What is better for the franchise? Eli playing today and the Giants winning. Or Daniel playing and the Giants losing?

I pick the latter.

Agree.


If Daniel Dave Brown Jones keeps spitting up turnovers like it’s Madden 20, it won’t matter if he plays Bc he stinks.

And we can def Put to bed Eli Manning is fully washed up. Bc Jones plays just as bad if not worse.

Organization fail.
.  
Stan in LA : 10/20/2019 8:07 pm : link
No, not with the Cardinals pass rush  
Matt M. : 10/20/2019 8:08 pm : link
But, I think the last 4 weeks at least allow some to wonder if Eli is completely washed up, or if this team is and has been just putrid for a few years now and it was not even mostly him.
RE: Vanzetti  
Darth Paul : 10/20/2019 8:10 pm : link
In comment 14637470 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
More important question: What is better for the franchise? Eli playing today and the Giants winning. Or Daniel playing and the Giants losing?

I pick the latter.


This. Doesn't matter. Jones needs to play.
If it wasn’t for his  
Rflairr : 10/20/2019 8:15 pm : link
running. They wouldn’t have scored today
Doesn't matter. Jones needs to play.  
arniefez : 10/20/2019 8:15 pm : link
I agree 100%. But the Giants would have had a better chance the past 3 weeks with Eli. Jones is getting no help from the coaches. He has no idea what he's looking at. Any blitz from the blind side he's a sitting duck.

Jones playing is the only option for 2019 for better or worse. Ignore the turnovers, ignore the record. Jones is accurate and he's tough. There's plenty of good to work with going forward for the next coach, if the Giants can finally pick someone innovative.

But if the Giants don't get him away from Shurmur quickly he's going to both get killed and get ruined. Shurmur is a complete loser as a HC in every way.
Eli quick check downs short of the stick and goes 3 and out  
penkap75 : 10/20/2019 8:20 pm : link
Jones holds on to the ball too long looking for the big downfield plays. But with Jones he is getting on the job training and might learn something (or not). No point in watching checkdown Eli going 3 n out over and over again.
He would have been  
McNally's_Nuts : 10/20/2019 8:21 pm : link
sacked 12-15 times then
If Eli  
nygnyy274 : 10/20/2019 8:26 pm : link
Did not get benched they would be 1-6. they don’t beat Tampa if Eli was the starter
.....  
Micko : 10/20/2019 8:31 pm : link
I think there is an excellent chance that in today's game Eli may have won as he would have not turned the ball over as much and I imagine may have had better recognition of protection issues and called audibles, etc. However, and as Eric mentioned, it doesn't really matter b/c it's better to lose w/ Jones at this point than win a couple of games w/ Eli. I think we'd have the exact same record w/ Eli as QB and we'd be clamoring for Jones at this point. It does make me feel bad for Eli though seeing how bad this team has been for so long.
Eli  
Simms : 10/20/2019 8:32 pm : link
Same hits as last season and drops. No change.
Zero chance  
OBJRoyal : 10/20/2019 8:34 pm : link
Eli would NOT have won this game
Maybe. Who knows?  
John In CO : 10/20/2019 8:35 pm : link
But this season, for me, is about seeing as much as we possibly can from Jones. This looks to be one heckuva draft class for QB's next year; we HAVE to KNOW that he is THE MAN for this team going forward. Seen so much positive stuff from him, but that internal clock needs to be sped up and has to start making better decisions.
Just got back from an alternate timeline,  
flycatcher : 10/20/2019 8:37 pm : link
Eli was subbed in after the second DJ stripsack and led the team to a34-24 victory. Eli went 14-19, 2 TDs, 0 INTs.
yes ,  
madgiantscow009 : 10/20/2019 8:37 pm : link
4-3, but not making a run.
Eli would have been sacked 14 times and  
Bill in UT : 10/20/2019 8:40 pm : link
left the field on a cart.
Peyton Manning rookie year  
charlito : 10/20/2019 8:45 pm : link
26 touchdowns 28 interceptions.

🤷‍♂️
Of course not  
weeg in the bronx : 10/20/2019 8:46 pm : link
We still have the same problems he played with most of the last six or seven years. No QB in the league can win consistently with a poor OL, a porous defense, bad coaching. And key drops. Don't forget those.
RE: RE: RE: Vanzetti  
81_Great_Dane : 10/20/2019 8:53 pm : link
In comment 14637496 Vanzetti said:
Quote:
In comment 14637483 81_Great_Dane said:


Quote:


In comment 14637470 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


More important question: What is better for the franchise? Eli playing today and the Giants winning. Or Daniel playing and the Giants losing?

I pick the latter.

Agree.



I think you guys just read the thread title and not the OP. I state quite clearly that DJ has to play and this is just a what if question
No criticism of you intended. Nor did I think you were suggesting Eli should play. I think Eric and I are saying that whatever the answer, DJ playing is the right decision.
Jones was sacked 9 times and hit 19  
Junior22 : 10/20/2019 8:56 pm : link
Eli might not have been sacked that much because he would have spent the day throwing at players feet from any type of rush
I don't think so  
jcn56 : 10/20/2019 9:07 pm : link
even with a quicker release and fewer turnovers I don't think the Giants were winning today. They couldn't block for shit and weren't able to make anything happen on the ground.
What did you see the past  
joeinpa : 10/20/2019 10:23 pm : link
Two seasons and the first two game this season to make you think this is a valid pt. of discussion.
No  
TD : 10/20/2019 10:39 pm : link
Fuck no. It would have been uglier. Eli was one of the worst QBs in the league last year. He was 0-2 before the benching as has won.
RE: Eli would have been sacked 14 times and  
giantsFC : 10/20/2019 10:48 pm : link
In comment 14637602 Bill in UT said:
Quote:
left the field on a cart.


Well this is def not ever going to happen.

Eli Manning is indestructible.
What difference does it make  
Johnny5 : 10/20/2019 11:00 pm : link
This team sucks and I don't see us playing even .500 ball until we have a real coaching staff in here, and at least two more solid drafts. I am so SO disgusted with this team.
RE: What difference does it make  
jcn56 : 10/20/2019 11:05 pm : link
In comment 14637831 Johnny5 said:
Quote:
This team sucks and I don't see us playing even .500 ball until we have a real coaching staff in here, and at least two more solid drafts. I am so SO disgusted with this team.


Two "more" solid drafts? You mean as opposed to the "solid" drafts responsible for the current debacle?

The organization needs an enema - new scouts, a new GM, a new coaching staff, and to rid themselves of the meddling hand of the co-owner. Otherwise, it's just more of the same.
RE: RE: What difference does it make  
Johnny5 : 10/20/2019 11:09 pm : link
In comment 14637838 jcn56 said:
Quote:
In comment 14637831 Johnny5 said:


Quote:


This team sucks and I don't see us playing even .500 ball until we have a real coaching staff in here, and at least two more solid drafts. I am so SO disgusted with this team.



Two "more" solid drafts? You mean as opposed to the "solid" drafts responsible for the current debacle?

The organization needs an enema - new scouts, a new GM, a new coaching staff, and to rid themselves of the meddling hand of the co-owner. Otherwise, it's just more of the same.

Well, After today I can't really argue you point.
RE: Peyton Manning rookie year  
Big_N : 10/21/2019 12:53 am : link
In comment 14637605 charlito said:
Quote:
26 touchdowns 28 interceptions.

🤷‍♂️


You guys and this bullshit. 26 TDs is shit load of TDs for rookie even a prime player. That is #1. #2 did we have 28 fumbles as well? Peyton was already on Letterman when he was playing college ball at Tennessee. Think about that. At this point DJ could be just another Shurmur / gettlemen fuck up that all the analysts and reporters called correctly on draft night..
RE: RE: RE: What difference does it make  
Big_N : 10/21/2019 1:02 am : link
In comment 14637841 Johnny5 said:
Quote:
In comment 14637838 jcn56 said:


Quote:


In comment 14637831 Johnny5 said:


Quote:


This team sucks and I don't see us playing even .500 ball until we have a real coaching staff in here, and at least two more solid drafts. I am so SO disgusted with this team.



Two "more" solid drafts? You mean as opposed to the "solid" drafts responsible for the current debacle?

The organization needs an enema - new scouts, a new GM, a new coaching staff, and to rid themselves of the meddling hand of the co-owner. Otherwise, it's just more of the same.


Well, After today I can't really argue you point.


You guys and this bullcrap how this is organizational. It's the league that has changed and everyone is copying that. Everywhere you look Dallas is always in the shotgun. It is what Mcadoo and now SHurmur are trying to do. How about getting under center and calling some fucking running plays and passing plays with an extra tight end since your oline sucks? No everyone has to try and be mahomes light.

And you guys are being way to hard on shurmur. If they execute that draw play and get a first down on and that 3rd and long it would have been brilliant.

It's gettlemen .. this team sucks. No amount of coaching is going to change your college football defense to a team that can compete in the nfl.
Who cares?  
giants_10_88 : 10/21/2019 5:52 am : link
Either Jones shows something for next year or we replace him with Herbert, Eason or Morrow.
RE: here' my answer  
JCin332 : 10/21/2019 8:34 am : link
In comment 14637492 bc4life said:
Quote:
no running game - Barkley only 70 yards. 8 sacks, 12 QB hits.

and no OBJ - does that sound like a formula in which Eli could win? Did I mention the droppped passes?


How much did they win with OBJ...?

And now people are willing to admit it's a team game and a QB needs a running game and defense to win...?

I am pretty sure I read on BBI from the ABE (Anyone But Eli) crowd that for Eli to win "everything has to be perfect"...
RE: Jones was sacked 9 times and hit 19  
BBelle21 : 10/21/2019 8:40 am : link
In comment 14637630 Junior22 said:
Quote:
Eli might not have been sacked that much because he would have spent the day throwing at players feet from any type of rush


Daniel needs learn this too. You realize this right? You saw what happens when he doesn’t feel the rush and holds onto the ball too long. If the receivers aren’t getting any separation, he needs to understand that a checkdown is not a bad play compared to what can happen.
The team is poor from the top down  
BBelle21 : 10/21/2019 8:42 am : link
So even if Eli had a great game, they likely still lose. Which is the point many here make continuously. It’s not just about the QBs.
RE: RE: Jones was sacked 9 times and hit 19  
Big_N : 10/21/2019 10:19 am : link
In comment 14638136 BBelle21 said:
Quote:
In comment 14637630 Junior22 said:


Quote:


Eli might not have been sacked that much because he would have spent the day throwing at players feet from any type of rush



Daniel needs learn this too. You realize this right? You saw what happens when he doesn’t feel the rush and holds onto the ball too long. If the receivers aren’t getting any separation, he needs to understand that a checkdown is not a bad play compared to what can happen.

No we just stubbornly stick to our opinions that Eli was the problem; a new QB will mean we win 10 in a row like when Tim Tebow was inserted into the line up; and make excuses for a non-NFL--ready QB when has fumbles the ball half a dozen times .
RE: RE: RE: Jones was sacked 9 times and hit 19  
BBelle21 : 10/21/2019 10:24 am : link
In comment 14638416 Big_N said:
Quote:
In comment 14638136 BBelle21 said:


Quote:


In comment 14637630 Junior22 said:


Quote:


Eli might not have been sacked that much because he would have spent the day throwing at players feet from any type of rush



Daniel needs learn this too. You realize this right? You saw what happens when he doesn’t feel the rush and holds onto the ball too long. If the receivers aren’t getting any separation, he needs to understand that a checkdown is not a bad play compared to what can happen.


No we just stubbornly stick to our opinions that Eli was the problem; a new QB will mean we win 10 in a row like when Tim Tebow was inserted into the line up; and make excuses for a non-NFL--ready QB when has fumbles the ball half a dozen times .


Eli wasn’t the problem just like Daniel isn’t the problem. I think Eli could have done everything right yesterday and still lose the game and get skewered for it. I understand that us fans will downplay Daniel’s mistakes for a while, but he’s not being put in situations to succeed by Shurmur. I almost can’t fault him for one of those fumbles. Shurmur put him in a terrible situation.
Do you remember the last time we saw Eli Manning play  
shockeyisthebest8056 : 10/21/2019 10:27 am : link
in similar weather? It wasn't pretty.
Eli might've been  
Metnut : 10/21/2019 10:38 am : link
able to avoid the turnovers and hit a few checkdowns rather than taking sacks, but i have a hard time seeing him complete the TD pass to Rhett or even lead that drive in the second half that got us within one score.

Yes  
Jimmy Googs : 10/21/2019 10:47 am : link
The Giants would have won if Eli played yesterday.

He has shown time and time again he didn’t need a good offensive line to be productive.

RE: Eli might've been  
BBelle21 : 10/21/2019 11:03 am : link
In comment 14638474 Metnut said:
Quote:
able to avoid the turnovers and hit a few checkdowns rather than taking sacks, but i have a hard time seeing him complete the TD pass to Rhett or even lead that drive in the second half that got us within one score.


I don’t. Eli has made passes like that as recently as last season. But fans want to see them completed by a different QB. Understandable.
Back to the Corner