Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Progress for the remainder of the year

BillyM : 11/7/2019 8:36 am
Simply put, if Daniel Jones can significantly clean up the fumbles, Baker, Ballentine, Love and Beal can get quality experience and learn, and Dex & Williams can gel together, kidding aside, I would be happy. That is the measuring stick for my "success" for November and December.

Yes, I would love to beat the Jets this weekend. I suspect these teams will stumble and bumble the ebb and flow of the game back and forth until someone is ahead when the clock strikes zero. I think a "win" for both teams would be a solid, competitive contest where both Darnold and Jones play well. I say that, because there has been this underlying narrative that ones success will be at the expense of the other. Claims of "Darnold sucks, Jones is awesome. Jones sucks, Darnold is the guy we should have drafted" ! What if both turn out to be real good, franchise starters? I feel that scenario is rarely discussed. Just maybe we both have our guy.

Anyway, back to the point, wins and losses mean absolutely nothing to me after this Jets game. Health matters (don't get Jones killed) and draft position matters. Securing a stud tackle, LB or DE matters.

I'm not looking for the second layer of those aforementioned positions in the 2020 draft. I want THE guy. An immediate starter, an immediate culture changer, an impact stud. Would love for Jones to have his blind side buddy locked up for a decade. Two guys practically entering the league together.

Here's to the holidays ahead. Here's to our sanity. Stay safe Daniel Jones. Go Blue
If we do not show some competitivness against the Eagles  
George from PA : 11/7/2019 8:47 am : link
Major changes are still needed.

We must figure out how to win against bFC East
as  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 11/7/2019 9:04 am : link
bad as things are now, can you imagine if we were 2-7 and Daniel Jones was still sitting on the bench?
Billy  
cosmicj : 11/7/2019 9:08 am : link
Good, sane post. Agree with you 100%. I also want to see Slayton improve and show he can be a starter. I just so much donít want the Giants to burn a high pick on a WR like Jeudy.
problem is scheme  
DickS : 11/7/2019 9:10 am : link
Good managers, in business and in sports, fit the scheme to the presently available players. It is great to plan for tomorrow, but don't trip over the bricks in your path on your way to the golden promise of what lies ahead. At any time, the scheme should be adapted to the talent, rather than trying to fit the talent into a certain predetermined scheme. For me, progress this year would be seeing this happen, but I doubt the current staff is going to try this approach.
RE: Billy  
BillyM : 11/7/2019 9:11 am : link
In comment 14667878 cosmicj said:
Quote:
Good, sane post. Agree with you 100%. I also want to see Slayton improve and show he can be a starter. I just so much donít want the Giants to burn a high pick on a WR like Jeudy.


I agree on Slayton, although given the draft position we gave up for him, I think even at status quo, he's exceeded expectations.
RE: problem is scheme  
BillyM : 11/7/2019 9:12 am : link
In comment 14667881 DickS said:
Quote:
Good managers, in business and in sports, fit the scheme to the presently available players. It is great to plan for tomorrow, but don't trip over the bricks in your path on your way to the golden promise of what lies ahead. At any time, the scheme should be adapted to the talent, rather than trying to fit the talent into a certain predetermined scheme. For me, progress this year would be seeing this happen, but I doubt the current staff is going to try this approach.


I agree, although I hate to say it, I think we are past that point right now. I'm more about individual player progress.
Play  
AcidTest : 11/7/2019 9:16 am : link
the young guys and the backups, if only to better cement our positions of need going into the offseason.
RE: as  
jcn56 : 11/7/2019 9:17 am : link
In comment 14667871 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
bad as things are now, can you imagine if we were 2-7 and Daniel Jones was still sitting on the bench?


Flipside to that - there would be some hope in that starting Jones might give the team a kick start and improve some of it's issues, same as we saw when they went 0-2.

Right now, there's no savior on the bench.
How's this for progress  
gmenatlarge : 11/7/2019 9:22 am : link
Fire both PS and DG, when you can't even field a competent team it's time to go. Seriously is there anybody who thinks these two can get the Giants to the SB? Because that is the ultimate goal isn't it?
RE: as  
Go Terps : 11/7/2019 9:22 am : link
In comment 14667871 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
bad as things are now, can you imagine if we were 2-7 and Daniel Jones was still sitting on the bench?


You don't have to strain your imagination. Just go back to last year when we drafted a fourth round quarterback in Lauletta and barely looked at him after we fell to 1-7. Not only that, the head coach actually insulted him in a press conference.
RE: How's this for progress  
BillyM : 11/7/2019 9:26 am : link
In comment 14667909 gmenatlarge said:
Quote:
Fire both PS and DG, when you can't even field a competent team it's time to go. Seriously is there anybody who thinks these two can get the Giants to the SB? Because that is the ultimate goal isn't it?


I absolutely think DG can get us to the Super Bowl. He's not perfect so don't think I'm a fan boy. But he has the resume to do it. Shurmur? Zero chance he can make that happen unless every chip perfectly fell into line.

DG isn't going anywhere this year, or next. I will say, the only way it happens is if Bill B wants in. For full control.
RE: RE: How's this for progress  
gmenatlarge : 11/7/2019 9:32 am : link
In comment 14667912 BillyM said:
Quote:
In comment 14667909 gmenatlarge said:


Quote:


Fire both PS and DG, when you can't even field a competent team it's time to go. Seriously is there anybody who thinks these two can get the Giants to the SB? Because that is the ultimate goal isn't it?



I absolutely think DG can get us to the Super Bowl. He's not perfect so don't think I'm a fan boy. But he has the resume to do it. Shurmur? Zero chance he can make that happen unless every chip perfectly fell into line.

DG isn't going anywhere this year, or next. I will say, the only way it happens is if Bill B wants in. For full control.


You're probably right about DG, but why does he get a pass, this is his revamped, failure of an OL and most of the sub-par talent on defense. His FA, trades and cap mgmt. are abysmal. His resume is the past, it's time for this team to look to the future!
It's not just about the young guys getting experience  
jcn56 : 11/7/2019 9:35 am : link
It's about them getting experience and showing some signs of improvement.

If guys in the secondary, on the DL, Slayton - don't show that they're actually developing somewhat, then you don't have much to go on when you're trying to build your roster next year. Slayton and Jones have at least shown some production albeit with flaws. Some of these guys have just outright stunk.
I think this team is....  
Tom [Giants fan] : 11/7/2019 9:50 am : link
heading in the right direction believe it or not. There are a few pieces missing like a viable threat at WR. The OL still needs to be improved. The defense is young and needs to gel better. And there are a couple of positions on defense that either need more experience or these young guys need to improve a whole lot.
.  
idiotsavant : 11/7/2019 10:20 am : link
On O establish reliable outside runs, use instantness on all runs, and don't shy from zone run blocking .

On D, shut down the middle gaps vs runs while also attacking the passer (move lb into gap pre snap?) and show us some reliable man cover from the rookie dbacks .

Loosing anyway you gotta try the rooks at man cover.
RE: I think this team is....  
Jay on the Island : 11/7/2019 10:20 am : link
In comment 14667956 Tom [Giants fan] said:
Quote:
heading in the right direction believe it or not. There are a few pieces missing like a viable threat at WR. The OL still needs to be improved. The defense is young and needs to gel better. And there are a couple of positions on defense that either need more experience or these young guys need to improve a whole lot.

Tom, I agree with you. I think this team is improving but they desperately need to invest in the offensive line this offseason as well as bring in a new coaching staff.
And no more 2-4-5 on D  
idiotsavant : 11/7/2019 10:21 am : link
And greatly reduce reliance on "Packers lite" vanilla obvious pass blocking on O (see post above)
I donít suppose the giants could beat Philly just once  
djm : 11/7/2019 10:38 am : link
In a game where Philly wants to win? Or is that asking too much.
RE: I donít suppose the giants could beat Philly just once  
BillyM : 11/7/2019 10:44 am : link
In comment 14668041 djm said:
Quote:
In a game where Philly wants to win? Or is that asking too much.


It's possible.
Problem is partly scheme  
Tim in VA : 11/7/2019 10:56 am : link
But also preparation. Our team is rarely disciplined or even on the same page. I don't think our coaching staff is capable of correcting this problem.
It's telling that tv claims betch had to help Pepper's  
idiotsavant : 11/7/2019 11:20 am : link
W tackling technique (leading to very nice forced fumble ). Assistant coaches not getting it done at all.

That said , the 2-4-5 is really dumb.

On O:


the scheme sucks for OL outcomes plain and simple and not a new story at all.

As for the last draft, you simply cannot address O upside and get badly needed great D players both in one draft.

That's why year 1 I suggest new O scheme (+ free agents) and draft D high for now.

Possible exception on O draft, burst zone rb, blocking TE that will help w zone runs and center ditto .



Betch no eeds to commit to no more 2-4-5 and shurm to no more Packers lite OL madness.
draft position doesn't matter to me anymore  
Dinger : 11/7/2019 12:44 pm : link
They need OL. They need LB. I don't think there is a can't miss for either position in this draft. I think its quantity and quality. Get solid picks at each round. 1st round should be a starter and make an impact. 2nd round should start at some point in their first season. round 3 should be a solid back up to starter in 2nd season. Somethin along those lines. they really can't afford to have any complete misses. They need to have coaches who can develop or put players in a position to do their best to win.

But we've been saying this for how many years now? Futility....
RE: draft position doesn't matter to me anymore  
BillyM : 11/7/2019 2:37 pm : link
In comment 14668319 Dinger said:
Quote:
They need OL. They need LB. I don't think there is a can't miss for either position in this draft. I think its quantity and quality. Get solid picks at each round. 1st round should be a starter and make an impact. 2nd round should start at some point in their first season. round 3 should be a solid back up to starter in 2nd season. Somethin along those lines. they really can't afford to have any complete misses. They need to have coaches who can develop or put players in a position to do their best to win.

But we've been saying this for how many years now? Futility....



True, but if we really suck, we might be able to trade back and get a few pieces at once. Similar to Colts with Nelson and Leonard. I mean that is the gold standard, and that doesn't happen that well, often. But if a QB hungry team wants our spot, say at #3-4, trade it back
Win some games ?  
mdc1 : 11/7/2019 4:38 pm : link
Unbelievable thread
Back to the Corner