Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

GBN Draft Report: Mid-Season Mock Draft Round One...

M.S. : 11/7/2019 10:29 am
...Giants are in the 6-hole and QBs go 1 and 2. Then DE, WR and CB leaving the Giants to select (drum-roll)


Mid-Season Mock Draft Round One (Nov. 6th) - ( New Window )
That would be awesome  
Jay on the Island : 11/7/2019 10:37 am : link
if we landed Andrew Thomas. Jones would have his franchise LT and they could move Solder over to RT for a year.
RE: That would be awesome  
beatrixkiddo : 11/7/2019 10:39 am : link
In comment 14668039 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
if we landed Andrew Thomas. Jones would have his franchise LT and they could move Solder over to RT for a year.


If we arenít in position to land Young than this is what I prefer too. Need to find a C in the middle rounds and Iím happy.
RE: RE: That would be awesome  
Jay on the Island : 11/7/2019 10:43 am : link
In comment 14668043 beatrixkiddo said:
Quote:
In comment 14668039 Jay on the Island said:


Quote:


if we landed Andrew Thomas. Jones would have his franchise LT and they could move Solder over to RT for a year.



If we arenít in position to land Young than this is what I prefer too. Need to find a C in the middle rounds and Iím happy.

I would consider it a big win if the Giants land either Chase Young or Andrew Thomas. With it a near lock that Solder is back due to his contract they could shift him over to RT for a year.

I would prefer that they signed an inexpensive center like Ted Karras and then use their 3rd round comp pick on a center.
Non Giant comment here  
jvm52106 : 11/7/2019 10:55 am : link
but, when the Mack trade happened, how many people saw the future first round pick compensation from the Bears being a better selection than the Raiders own 1st rd pick?
Nate Solder - So what that there is dead money?  
Bob in Newburgh : 11/7/2019 11:03 am : link
He still provides a major 6+mil cap savings.

He still stinks.

There is no rational reason to believe he will improve.

He provides no foundation for either SB or JD at RT.

Must be cut before roster bonus due.
Ugh it's 11/7  
Dnew15 : 11/7/2019 11:07 am : link
and we're reading draft guides.
if Jets  
ryanmkeane : 11/7/2019 11:16 am : link
don't draft OL there would be a mutiny.
I actually prefer Wirfs to Thomas.  
shockeyisthebest8056 : 11/7/2019 11:20 am : link
Thomas is stronger, but Wirfs appears more athletic and I think he would be better at LT.

If the WISC center is still available at #28, trade up into the first round and get him.
RE: Ugh it's 11/7  
M.S. : 11/7/2019 11:43 am : link
In comment 14668078 Dnew15 said:
Quote:
and we're reading draft guides.

Sorry to say a huge number of BBIers were looking way before 11/7.
Isaiah Simmons and Joe Burrow are going to go much higher than listed.  
Tom in NY : 11/7/2019 11:46 am : link
Seems like the rankings here are more of the preseason and maybe not quite up to date...especially if Burrow plays well on Saturday.

For the Giants it's got to be Young, Thomas, or Wirfs at #6. They have to get this Oline fixed before anything else will work properly. Follow the New England model and focus on Oline and defense in the draft.
If a top qb falls to us  
superspynyg : 11/7/2019 11:55 am : link
We should trade down. We need more picks in the top 100. Is take a 2nd this year and a 1st next to drop.
I really don't know enough about CFB this year  
BlueLou'sBack : 11/7/2019 12:02 pm : link
Compared with previous years. But a long term solution to our left tackle needs seems close to an ideal fit.

With WR, ILB, and FS also very high on the list of needs.

Edge rusher too unless we can sign Golden to a reasonable deal.

And FS???? Depends what Bettcher sees in Julian Love's future.

I also think you start the kid at ORT so long as Solder gets another year...
That draft  
Jay in Toronto : 11/7/2019 12:25 pm : link
would make the State of Wisconsin delirious.

Personally I hope the lower QBs start climbing and the Jets with TB for a boatload of picks and Young falls to us.

GBN Mock Draft has...  
M.S. : 11/7/2019 1:17 pm : link


...6, CBs, 5 WRs, 5 QBs and 4 OTs going in Round 1. That's over 60% of the selections right there.

Also, 7 players from Alabama! LSU and Ohio State next with 3 apiece.
Solder does not need to be kept!!!!  
BillT : 11/7/2019 1:38 pm : link
He can be cut with a cap savings!! (Dead money doesn't matter if you're getting a cap savings!!) That said they can't cut him if that can't find a replacement that can step in and start at LT. I think Andrew Thomas will go very soon after the QBs.
If Burrow has a big game this weekend against Bama  
figgy2989 : 11/7/2019 2:43 pm : link
You are going to start to see him shoot up draft boards.
The thing is tho, itís looks like it could be a much deeper OT class  
barens : 11/7/2019 4:06 pm : link
Than edge rusher. If Young or Simmons is available to us, I wouldnít hesitate. Problem is, if there is a player they really like, they wonít have a third round pick to offer.
Tank for Thomas  
lawguy9801 : 11/7/2019 4:48 pm : link
.
Iíd be nervous about the UGA LT  
WillVAB : 11/7/2019 7:55 pm : link
I donít think he has the feet to play LT at the next level.
RE: Solder does not need to be kept!!!!  
Gatorade Dunk : 11/7/2019 8:08 pm : link
In comment 14668385 BillT said:
Quote:
He can be cut with a cap savings!! (Dead money doesn't matter if you're getting a cap savings!!) That said they can't cut him if that can't find a replacement that can step in and start at LT. I think Andrew Thomas will go very soon after the QBs.

Dead money absolutely matters, but you're right in that the sunk cost comes from signing mediocre players to exorbitant contracts more so than the cost of getting out from under said contract.

Renegotiating that contract to kick more dead money into the future was awful though - it amplified an already problematic cap situation with Solder.
RE: Iíd be nervous about the UGA LT  
Jimmy Googs : 11/7/2019 8:42 pm : link
In comment 14668692 WillVAB said:
Quote:
I donít think he has the feet to play LT at the next level.


I am a big fan of Thomas. Not sure he is elite but moreso solid. Interesting comment though that you donít he can even make it as a LT in the pros.

Letís see how he looks as the SEC comes down to the wire for the Dawgsí
RE: RE: Iíd be nervous about the UGA LT  
WillVAB : 11/7/2019 9:55 pm : link
In comment 14668732 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
In comment 14668692 WillVAB said:


Quote:


I donít think he has the feet to play LT at the next level.



I am a big fan of Thomas. Not sure he is elite but moreso solid. Interesting comment though that you donít he can even make it as a LT in the pros.

Letís see how he looks as the SEC comes down to the wire for the Dawgsí


I want OL help more than anyone but Iím not sure heís the guy you want at LT. I feel the same about Wirfs. I think both are mauler types which is fine if youíre looking to take a RT that high.

If the Giants do nothing at OT in FA then sure, take Thomas or Wirfs and bank on the guy panning out at one of the tackle spots. But if youíre banking on a lock cornerstone LT for the next 10+ years you may be disappointed.
there will be alot of QB hungry teams  
stoneman : 11/7/2019 10:02 pm : link
trying to trade into the 4-10 area. The OTs could fall further. Young will be the only out of reach pick.
We are in the 6th hole now  
Marty866b : 11/7/2019 10:03 pm : link
We could be in the 3 hole or higher before too long. We're not better then ANYONE.
I agree that he may not be a lock as an elite LT  
Jimmy Googs : 11/7/2019 10:04 pm : link
but I also thinking paying for one in free agency is a complete mistake.

We need to improve almost everywhere, we do not need to be elite everywhere...
RE: I agree that he may not be a lock as an elite LT  
WillVAB : 11/7/2019 10:36 pm : link
In comment 14668809 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
but I also thinking paying for one in free agency is a complete mistake.

We need to improve almost everywhere, we do not need to be elite everywhere...


Weíll see how the off-season goes. I see DG making a big splash at OL unless the top guys sign somewhere else. I donít see a FA move at LT due to Solderís contract and the lack of LTís on the market.

So letís say DG signs Conklin, Bulaga, etc ó pure RT. If they end up taking Thomas or Wirf thinking thatís the LT of the future and he isnít, that really puts the OL in an awkward spot. The net result could be a marginally better OL despite all the investment. Not a good result. Optimistically, the group may be a kick ass run blocking OL but I doubt weíd see itís full potential with this staff.
Not sure where you are going with this topic then  
Jimmy Googs : 11/7/2019 10:49 pm : link
You want to keep Solder as LT?
RE: Not sure where you are going with this topic then  
WillVAB : 11/8/2019 7:20 am : link
In comment 14668835 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
You want to keep Solder as LT?


Definitely not ó but replacing him w a prospect better suited at RT doesnít really solve the problem.
RE: RE: Not sure where you are going with this topic then  
Jimmy Googs : 11/8/2019 7:44 am : link
In comment 14668896 WillVAB said:
Quote:
In comment 14668835 Jimmy Googs said:


Quote:


You want to keep Solder as LT?



Definitely not ó but replacing him w a prospect better suited at RT doesnít really solve the problem.


Well if Thomas can play LT then it does (albeit not your opinion but still plausible). If Thomas can only play RT then that is still very helpful since we kind of suck everywhere...
How has Walker Little  
Jay in Toronto : 11/8/2019 8:38 am : link
LT at Stanford done this year?
Sort of wish that Matt Gay didn't miss that FG  
Sonic Youth : 11/8/2019 8:45 am : link
so we'd be staring down Chase Young.

Honestly, its worth a loss to the Jets to take Chase Young IMO.
RE: If a top qb falls to us  
section125 : 11/8/2019 9:07 am : link
In comment 14668167 superspynyg said:
Quote:
We should trade down. We need more picks in the top 100. Is take a 2nd this year and a 1st next to drop.


So you pass up a blue chip OLT or DE to get more picks???

Not unless the best player at our slot is not a blue chip would I trade back.
RE: RE: If a top qb falls to us  
Gatorade Dunk : 11/8/2019 9:16 am : link
In comment 14668980 section125 said:
Quote:
In comment 14668167 superspynyg said:


Quote:


We should trade down. We need more picks in the top 100. Is take a 2nd this year and a 1st next to drop.



So you pass up a blue chip OLT or DE to get more picks???

Not unless the best player at our slot is not a blue chip would I trade back.

If the player at our slot is not a blue chip, the trade down offers are not likely to be enough to get DG's attention.

I understand the reluctance to pass on an opportunity to get another blue chip player - I've made that argument myself. But I also overestimated the ease with which roster depth could be identified and acquired, and I think that's more important to the foundation right now. We simply need more red chip players up and down the roster, and if we can get twice as many red chip players in exchange for the opportunity at a blue chipper, there's some merit to the idea, IMO.
RE: RE: RE: Not sure where you are going with this topic then  
WillVAB : 11/8/2019 9:43 am : link
In comment 14668906 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
In comment 14668896 WillVAB said:


Quote:


In comment 14668835 Jimmy Googs said:


Quote:


You want to keep Solder as LT?



Definitely not ó but replacing him w a prospect better suited at RT doesnít really solve the problem.



Well if Thomas can play LT then it does (albeit not your opinion but still plausible). If Thomas can only play RT then that is still very helpful since we kind of suck everywhere...


That gets back to my point regarding how the FO attacks FA. If they strike out on OL then picking Thomas is fine because the Giants need a LT and a RT in that scenario. You bank on Thomas working out at one of the spots.

But if they spend money to fix RT in FA and Thomas ends up only being a RT, then using a top 10 pick on him isnít the best use of resources.
RE: RE: RE: If a top qb falls to us  
Jimmy Googs : 11/8/2019 9:51 am : link
In comment 14668999 Gatorade Dunk said:
Quote:
In comment 14668980 section125 said:


Quote:


In comment 14668167 superspynyg said:


Quote:


We should trade down. We need more picks in the top 100. Is take a 2nd this year and a 1st next to drop.



So you pass up a blue chip OLT or DE to get more picks???

Not unless the best player at our slot is not a blue chip would I trade back.


If the player at our slot is not a blue chip, the trade down offers are not likely to be enough to get DG's attention.

I understand the reluctance to pass on an opportunity to get another blue chip player - I've made that argument myself. But I also overestimated the ease with which roster depth could be identified and acquired, and I think that's more important to the foundation right now. We simply need more red chip players up and down the roster, and if we can get twice as many red chip players in exchange for the opportunity at a blue chipper, there's some merit to the idea, IMO.


my sentiments exactly...
RE: RE: RE: RE: Not sure where you are going with this topic then  
Jimmy Googs : 11/8/2019 9:55 am : link
In comment 14669047 WillVAB said:
Quote:

That gets back to my point regarding how the FO attacks FA. If they strike out on OL then picking Thomas is fine because the Giants need a LT and a RT in that scenario. You bank on Thomas working out at one of the spots.

But if they spend money to fix RT in FA and Thomas ends up only being a RT, then using a top 10 pick on him isnít the best use of resources.


Agree wholeheartedly if the scouting doesn't easily project Thomas as a LT at the next level. Maybe not in year 1 but at least year 2.

And then young Daniel will continue coughing up the ball as Solder will man left tackle for yet another season :-)
Looking up!  
Gruber : 11/10/2019 4:28 pm : link
We could actually be in with a chance of getting Chase Young if we can lose to the Redskins, given that the Bengals and Dolphins look most likely to go quarterback with their first picks.
Back to the Corner