Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

NFT: Yankees to hire Matt Blake as Pitching Coach

LarmerTJR : 11/7/2019 8:11 pm
Was just promoted internally by the Indians earlier this offseason...
Hmmm, raiding the AL Central  
section125 : 11/7/2019 8:13 pm : link
of their coaches.
googled  
Steve in Greenwich : 11/7/2019 8:20 pm : link
his name to see who he was and like the 3rd result was a Driveline Seminar called Pitch-a-palooza where Matt Blake was a special instructor, so I would say the new Driveline influence definitely had a hand in his selection.
Wanted Cone  
Nine-Tails : 11/7/2019 8:33 pm : link
But Cleveland does great with pitchers and this guy fit what they're looking for, so I like it. Now let's multiply our spin rates
Profile from hometown Concord NH paper  
shyster : 11/7/2019 8:47 pm : link
from when he was hired by CLE in 2016.

33 years old, pitched in high school and college, not as a pro.
Monitor - ( New Window )
Well you can't quibble with the pitching  
Stu11 : 11/7/2019 8:54 pm : link
Cleveland has developed lately. On the surface seems like a real solid hire.
pretty big news -  
Del Shofner : 11/7/2019 11:06 pm : link
total change from Rothschild, it would seem.

Reading good things about him.
.  
Bill2 : 11/8/2019 12:14 am : link
Now that's a sports team that is bold and seeks every advantage. They many not win every decision, but as a fan, you know they are trying every year at every level of their system.

George, who once fired 5 pitching coaches in one year only to re hire 3 that were drinking buddies with the 3 managers he hired in that year must be spinning in his grave
Bauer on Blake  
JPinstripes : 11/8/2019 3:57 am : link
Trevor Bauer
@BauerOutage

5h
For all the @Yankees
fans coming to my page to ask me about @Blake_Matt
heís awesome. One of the smarter guys I know. Knows a lot about pitching. A lot about development. Good communicator. Etc. Really excited for him getting this opportunity and pumped to see the results.
RE: .  
JPinstripes : 11/8/2019 3:58 am : link
In comment 14668860 Bill2 said:
Quote:
Now that's a sports team that is bold and seeks every advantage. They many not win every decision, but as a fan, you know they are trying every year at every level of their system.

George, who once fired 5 pitching coaches in one year only to re hire 3 that were drinking buddies with the 3 managers he hired in that year must be spinning in his grave


Nice post Bill2.
As weird as Bauer is,  
section125 : 11/8/2019 7:23 am : link
I would not mind him pitching for the Yanks. But I doubt Cash wants someone as disruptive around.
RE: Bauer on Blake  
arcarsenal : 11/8/2019 7:37 am : link
In comment 14668877 JPinstripes said:
Quote:
Trevor Bauer
@BauerOutage

5h
For all the @Yankees
fans coming to my page to ask me about @Blake_Matt
heís awesome. One of the smarter guys I know. Knows a lot about pitching. A lot about development. Good communicator. Etc. Really excited for him getting this opportunity and pumped to see the results.


Good stuff. I like what I've heard.

I know they interviewed Coney last week; but based on the quotes that came out of it, I don't think he was ever a serious candidate. It sounded more to me like the Yanks sort of did Cone a favor and are helping him prepare for potentially getting a PC job somewhere it the future.

I'm sure the Yanks did their homework here. It's nice to have one team we can have confidence in, at least!
It's Sam Briend's show now  
Greg from LI : 11/8/2019 8:38 am : link
I don't know how it will work out, but I do like that there will be a common shared philosophy with everyone on the same page.
RE: It's Sam Briend's show now  
arcarsenal : 11/8/2019 8:42 am : link
In comment 14668946 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
I don't know how it will work out, but I do like that there will be a common shared philosophy with everyone on the same page.


What; you don't like the Giants approach? A bunch of people with dissenting opinions and outlooks? It's working so well!
Have heard nothing but good things about  
Metnut : 11/8/2019 9:03 am : link
this guy. Seems like a slam dunk hire from anything I can read. Congrats guys.
heh  
Greg from LI : 11/8/2019 9:05 am : link
Way back when the Orioles were a perennial contender under Paul Richards and Earl Weaver, they employed a top to bottom philosophy of player development that stressed the same fundamentals at all levels. Every player at every level was taught the same way - the Orioles went so far as to put together training manuals for each position. Players given the manual for their individual position and were expected to know it. There were manuals for coaches, too, which outlined what was to be taught, so that the instruction was consistent throughout the organization.

Sounds like the Yankees will be moving to an updated form of this, at least as far as pitching goes.
WOnder If This Leads To  
LTIsTheGreatest : 11/8/2019 9:09 am : link
A Corey Kluber deal to Yanks this wonter
Common BBI reactions if this was a NYG move:  
Bill2 : 11/8/2019 9:09 am : link
- Yanks Central going conservative by hiring guys that know somebody in the Org. When are we going outside the organization?

- When are we going to go bold and hire a real name? Cashman is afraid to get challenged

- How much of his money is guaranteed?

- Proof Steinbrenner doesn't care about the fans. Cheap on coaches

- Obvious threat to Boone.

- We should replace Cashman at the same time as Boone

- Once again. They draft a 16 year old with International Money when they have so many holes and then throw money at one specific coach. Never change until we get rid of Steinbrenner.

- Just like when we held on to Gehrig past his prime. We never learn. Just re-cycle names and hope the fans are fooled. Selling my PSA's.

- You just know Steinbrenner forced the Yanks to play the Core Four after 1995 instead of getting new blood. Yanks Central is the problem

-
.  
arcarsenal : 11/8/2019 9:12 am : link
LOL, well done Bill.
It's almost as if the Giants have squandered all credibility with fans  
Greg from LI : 11/8/2019 9:13 am : link
while the Yankees have not and, thus, the Yankees get the benefit of the doubt while the Giants don't.
RE: RE: Bauer on Blake  
bigbluehoya : 11/8/2019 9:18 am : link
In comment 14668903 arcarsenal said:
Quote:
In comment 14668877 JPinstripes said:


Quote:


Trevor Bauer
@BauerOutage

5h
For all the @Yankees
fans coming to my page to ask me about @Blake_Matt
heís awesome. One of the smarter guys I know. Knows a lot about pitching. A lot about development. Good communicator. Etc. Really excited for him getting this opportunity and pumped to see the results.



Good stuff. I like what I've heard.

I know they interviewed Coney last week; but based on the quotes that came out of it, I don't think he was ever a serious candidate. It sounded more to me like the Yanks sort of did Cone a favor and are helping him prepare for potentially getting a PC job somewhere it the future.

I'm sure the Yanks did their homework here. It's nice to have one team we can have confidence in, at least!


I could very well be wrong -- but the impression that I get from some commentary on Twitter is that Cone (or another more 'traditional' pitching guy) may still be added to the staff. They may be looking to have a balanced approach with Blake focused on the metrics/analytics/physics and someone like Cone, who is accepting of the new-age stuff but brings more of the mentality/experience/situational experience.
RE: RE: RE: Bauer on Blake  
arcarsenal : 11/8/2019 9:22 am : link
In comment 14669001 bigbluehoya said:
Quote:
In comment 14668903 arcarsenal said:


Quote:


In comment 14668877 JPinstripes said:


Quote:


Trevor Bauer
@BauerOutage

5h
For all the @Yankees
fans coming to my page to ask me about @Blake_Matt
heís awesome. One of the smarter guys I know. Knows a lot about pitching. A lot about development. Good communicator. Etc. Really excited for him getting this opportunity and pumped to see the results.



Good stuff. I like what I've heard.

I know they interviewed Coney last week; but based on the quotes that came out of it, I don't think he was ever a serious candidate. It sounded more to me like the Yanks sort of did Cone a favor and are helping him prepare for potentially getting a PC job somewhere it the future.

I'm sure the Yanks did their homework here. It's nice to have one team we can have confidence in, at least!



I could very well be wrong -- but the impression that I get from some commentary on Twitter is that Cone (or another more 'traditional' pitching guy) may still be added to the staff. They may be looking to have a balanced approach with Blake focused on the metrics/analytics/physics and someone like Cone, who is accepting of the new-age stuff but brings more of the mentality/experience/situational experience.


I could see that. I got the impression that Cone himself almost didn't quite feel he was ready to be the one taking Larry's place - but it would be cool to have him on the staff in some capacity.

I thought Coney had some excellent insight through the year when it came to pitching and he seemed very in-tune with modern approaches and new-age thinking. Certainly strikes me as a guy who is with the times and is viewing pitching through a current/forward lens rather than some of the older guys who are still trying to do things 'their way'.
I'm selfish. I want more Cone on YES, not less.  
shockeyisthebest8056 : 11/8/2019 10:24 am : link
I hope this guy does a good job.
This is unlikely to impact a pursuit of Kluber...  
Dunedin81 : 11/8/2019 10:53 am : link
his work was mostly with the young guys (with whom he developed a strong track record), not the established veterans. I'm sure he is familiar with him, but beyond that it likely won't move the needle.
RE: It's almost as if the Giants have squandered all credibility with fans  
jcn56 : 11/8/2019 10:56 am : link
In comment 14668995 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
while the Yankees have not and, thus, the Yankees get the benefit of the doubt while the Giants don't.


LOL!

The Giants have entered Costanza territory, where they should literally just do the opposite of every move they decide to make. That's about as much as the Giants have in common with the Yankees at this point, their Costanza alignment.
.  
Del Shofner : 11/8/2019 11:09 am : link
In comment 14668985 Bill2 said:
Quote:
Just like when we held on to Gehrig past his prime.


That's just wrong ... but I laughed.
My read on the hire  
rich in DC : 11/8/2019 11:10 am : link
The Yanks have several really high end SP who are getting close to the bigs- Garcia being the "big name." However, the Yanks have several high-velo guys who could front a rotation if they could put it together- headlined by Medina.

This hire MIGHT indicate that the Yanks intend to do a rotation rebuild from within by bringing in a pitching coach who has demonstrated success in developing prospects into MLB SP- an area in which the Yanks have struggled.

Sevy has been a major success story- but it took a couple years to get him established. Same story with German who looks to have emerged last year- after several years of middling performance. Montgomery was really the only one who stepped in and performed immediately- and them was lost to TJ.

They have had too many SP converted into relievers for failure to grow as a SP.

Some SP who are at AA or above entering 2020 who have the natural "stuff" to be a ML SP, but need finishing touches include: Garcia, Nick Nelson (command and control issues), Clarke Schmidt (TJ recovery, command), Miguel Yajure (lack of experience).

Guys who will be a high A Tampa nad at least have a shot at getting to AA in 2020 include: Luis Medina (amazing stuff, lack of control- issues may be in his head), Glenn Otto (injuries, lack of experience as a SP), Frank German (throws hard, issues with command), Luis Gil (like Medina amazing stuff, issues with command and control), Alexander Viscaino (results don't match stuff).

We all know that SP prospects are tricky- even if you have 10 legitimate prospects, the odds of hitting on 2 or even 3 are low. However, with the upsides of the players listed above, if you hit on 3, you have several in the group who have the natural stuff to front a rotation- especially Garcia and Medina.

Perhaps that is what this hire is really about- making those connections in spring training, working with the pitching coach's philosophy through the season- and getting them to NY to work with the coach to be successful SP.
next step  
Dankbeerman : 11/8/2019 11:15 am : link
is to bring an bunch of guys to fill roles teaching the same stuff theough the minors. I would still be looking at a couple of the college guys to bring into the system.
rich in DC - good post  
Del Shofner : 11/8/2019 11:19 am : link
This is what I think is happening as well. Seems like a good plan to overcome what's been perhaps the only major organizational deficiency.
Second that...  
Dunedin81 : 11/8/2019 11:26 am : link
strong post Rich. If they're going to succeed over the next few years with (comparably) cheap starting pitching, they're going to need to get the most out of the pipeline of starting pitching prospects they have. It seems like they're betting on Blake and Briend to maximize value and performance.
great points  
section125 : 11/8/2019 11:39 am : link
rich. I think you are correct and all points. Too many SPs converted to RPs; high end guys not developing as expected; lack of consistent message through the system; a handful of guys close but needing fine tuning.

Tampa and Atlanta(maybe the Dodgers) have been able to develop their young guys and get them up to MLB at a young age.
The Yanks have some good young pitching on the way  
GiantJake : 11/8/2019 11:40 am : link
and now is a good time to bring in Blake and move on from Larry Rothschild. Obviously, the Yanks want to sign a top starter, but starters Deivi Garcia, Clarke Schmidt and Michael King should all be knocking on the door at some point next season. Jordan Montgomery too. The Yanks will have a supply of hard throwing bullpen candidates moving up. Albert Abreu and Nick Nelson have continued as starters but they could both wind up getting to the Bronx as relievers. Ben Heller will also be further removed from TJ and Jonathan Loiasiga should finally be moved to the pen permanently. Either way, the Yanks have a bunch of young guys moving up the ranks and bringing in Blake with a new mind set and a fresh set of eyes will hopefully pay dividends.
Iíve always felt that the minor league system needs to do a better job  
Jim in Hoboken : 11/8/2019 12:47 pm : link
of developing pitching. I also donít think that Rothschild was doing the major league staff any favors.

This wholesale change by the team indicates Cash and co. werenít satisfied either. I think they need to make a similar change with hitters as well.
Good stuff guys  
JPinstripes : 11/8/2019 2:24 pm : link
Kudos Rich, excellent perspective. Thanks
The Yanks still need to hire  
Phil in LA : 11/8/2019 2:26 pm : link
new pitching coordinators and pitching coaches for the season. They also need a new AAA manager.
RE: The Yanks still need to hire  
Del Shofner : 11/8/2019 3:04 pm : link
In comment 14669483 Phil in LA said:
Quote:
new pitching coordinators and pitching coaches for the season. They also need a new AAA manager.


What's your guess on the new AAA manager?
I'd think  
Phil in LA : 11/8/2019 3:18 pm : link
Pat Osborn.
RE: I'd think  
Del Shofner : 11/8/2019 6:47 pm : link
In comment 14669571 Phil in LA said:
Quote:
Pat Osborn.


Seems like Osborn has gotten raised one level each year since he started managing in the Yanks' minor league system.
NY Post reports that the Padres have hired Rothschild  
Del Shofner : 11/8/2019 6:55 pm : link
as their pitching coach. That didn't take long - nor should it have.
here's a NY Post article  
Del Shofner : 11/9/2019 10:38 am : link
on Matt Blake

interesting choice by the Yanks - ( New Window )
Great thread  
Jay in Toronto : 11/9/2019 6:36 pm : link
Guys

Thanks Rich
Great thread  
Jay in Toronto : 11/9/2019 6:36 pm : link
Guys

Special Thanks Rich
Back to the Corner