Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Elijah Penny - waste of a roster spot?

Jim in Forest Hills : 11/8/2019 8:08 am
I mean I like the kid, he has some versatility but they don't use him. According to Pro football reference he has played in only 15% of offensive snaps. He doesn't appear to be a special teams star. I know he's not the reason why they are losing, but whats the point of having him on the team?

Would they be better off with another TE (considering EE's fragility) or another WR?
He does play a key role in Specials  
figgy2989 : 11/8/2019 8:15 am : link
You need a guy like him on the roster, even if you don't utilize the fullback all too often. Not that Shurmur has shown that he is some sort of offensive mastermind, but having Penny on the roster at least allows you the flexibility to run two running back sets.
Maybe having real tight ends would allow us to  
idiotsavant : 11/8/2019 8:25 am : link
Zone run block
Maybe we see this next game w ee out  
idiotsavant : 11/8/2019 8:27 am : link
Two TE sets and outside zone runs play action
Our HC doesn’t use Barkley well. Why would  
LauderdaleMatty : 11/8/2019 8:36 am : link
Know hoot use Penny. He isnt the wasted spot. Tanny is utterly useless. Which everyone knows but Shurmur.
Penny is useless because we do not  
jvm52106 : 11/8/2019 8:45 am : link
use him. THough FB is a rare breed today a number of programs are thriving with a FB part of their offense. Can you imagine a Jarrod Bunch today (assuming he stayed healthy) with his ability to run, catch and block.

Tanney is an absolute blemish on this staff's ability to prove they deserve more time. As I mentioned elsewhere here, once you decided to keep Eli for 2019 and draft a QB #1 then tanney became worthless. KL would have been a bit more understandable as he would be a development backup QB for 2020 but Tanney and Eli at the same time is beyond stupid. It became even worse once Jones was named the starter as now any reason you had before to keep Tanney just went out the window. Yet, we still keep 3 QB's. It is not a reason this team struggles or a spot that would make a huge difference BUT, it does speak to the thought process and lack thereof our GM and HC have and something that doesn't bode well for future success.
Jim  
moaltch : 11/8/2019 9:22 am : link
100% correct. I'd rather have another tackle in the game as an inline blocker. There's nothing quite like having a blocking fullback who cant block!
I mean if we have him let's at least use him.  
Jim in Forest Hills : 11/8/2019 9:39 am : link
Maybe he is seen as the 3rd back, ok but now with Gallman and Williams in, he's not that. Just a ? why he's here.
Every year  
SirLoinOfBeef : 11/8/2019 9:40 am : link
prior to cut down time, the media plays up the FB narrative. "Will they keep a FB or not?" Elijah Penny, Shane Smith, etc...

We keep a FB on the roster and we never use them effectively. I have no idea if Penny can block or not because I haven't seen much of him in the backfield.

Personally Id like to see more sets with a FB in for protection or lead blocking for Barkley.
RE: Jim  
Brown Recluse : 11/8/2019 10:04 am : link
In comment 14669005 moaltch said:
Quote:
100% correct. I'd rather have another tackle in the game as an inline blocker. There's nothing quite like having a blocking fullback who cant block!


Except that Penny ISN'T a bad blocker. Shurmur just doesn't utilize a FB much, which is a mistake in my opinion.
maybe if we ran some power I  
Platos : 11/8/2019 11:19 am : link
or even offset I he'd be better.

remember hedgecock and hynoski and even jim finn? it was nice having a Full back and the idea that we'll have an actual run game.

everyone complains gettleman is building a team to win in the 80's but our last two coaches have been running these weak finesse offenses.
Giants have lost my trust.  
mittenedman : 11/8/2019 12:02 pm : link
Just look at the way this offense is built - it's almost scary. Pick a RB #2. Acquire a big run blocking OL. Use an H-back who can't block his way out of a paper bag at TE. Carry a FB but don't use him. Go pass happy with a bad pass blocking OL, bad WRs and a rookie QB. The Giants are trying to be good at everything and instead they're good at nothing and getting their rookie QB killed. Watching him take huge shots and continuing to drop back in predictable passing situations was tough to watch.

I've defended the Giants as just hitting a rough patch & was willing to blame everything on Reese & Ross but they've lost me. Thank God for Tom Coughlin, John Fox, Sean Payton, Accorsi, Gilbride & some pretty good coaches that have come through here or we're the Redskins. Had Belichick evaluated as a loser (perhaps the worst decision any pro sports team ever made). Hired Fassell instead of Parcells. We look clueless and getting rid of Coughlin looks dumber by the week. No wonder he wouldn't shake Mara's hand at the end. He knew. Sucks getting blamed for someone else's incompetency.
RE: Giants have lost my trust.  
Spider56 : 11/8/2019 1:33 pm : link
In comment 14669262 mittenedman said:
Quote:
Just look at the way this offense is built - it's almost scary. Pick a RB #2. Acquire a big run blocking OL. Use an H-back who can't block his way out of a paper bag at TE. Carry a FB but don't use him. Go pass happy with a bad pass blocking OL, bad WRs and a rookie QB. The Giants are trying to be good at everything and instead they're good at nothing and getting their rookie QB killed. Watching him take huge shots and continuing to drop back in predictable passing situations was tough to watch.

I've defended the Giants as just hitting a rough patch & was willing to
blame everything on Reese & Ross but they've lost me. Thank God for Tom Coughlin, John Fox, Sean Payton, Accorsi, Gilbride & some pretty good coaches that have come through here or we're the Redskins. Had Belichick evaluated as a loser (perhaps the worst decision any pro sports team ever made). Hired Fassell instead of Parcells. We look clueless and getting rid of Coughlin looks dumber by the week. No wonder he wouldn't shake Mara's hand at the end. He knew. Sucks getting blamed for someone else's incompetency.


Amen .... Well said ... I had high hopes for both Shurmur and Bettcher but both have shown me absolutely nothing but dopey roster selection, game mgmt and bad play calling. Time to start over ... again.
Totally !  
Bluesbreaker : 11/8/2019 2:12 pm : link
9 games 12 carries 39 yards
3 passes 2 rec 9 yards yeah he is a dynamo !
Agree  
pjcas18 : 11/8/2019 2:26 pm : link
completely, why is the fucking guy even here?

--- Yours truly, Alex Tanney
Perspective:  
section125 : 11/8/2019 2:30 pm : link
We are talking about the 44th man of 46 on the active roster. Is he any less important then say, Chris Slade or Nick Gates who never get in the game except on XPs?

well  
Andrew in Austin : 11/8/2019 3:09 pm : link
it feels like we barely run Saquon, so I'm not sure who Penny will block for.
RE: Perspective:  
Jim in Forest Hills : 11/8/2019 3:41 pm : link
In comment 14669488 section125 said:
Quote:
We are talking about the 44th man of 46 on the active roster. Is he any less important then say, Chris Slade or Nick Gates who never get in the game except on XPs?


Technically Penny is 1st string - no one else is ahead of him so yes he should be more important than Slade. Slade is about to get more snaps in this upcoming game than Penny has the entire season. What does that tell you?
waste of a roster spot?  
Torrag : 11/8/2019 4:18 pm : link
He is with this coaching staff. Even when they should have used him they didn't and haven't.
Considering the lack of talent on this roster  
Mike from SI : 11/8/2019 4:25 pm : link
I'm not sure why we're bitching about a guy who's at least competent at playing football.
problem is  
Gordo : 11/8/2019 4:29 pm : link
we are usually playing from behind, which requires passing the ball more. Having a fullback telegraphs that we are running, especially w/ Barkley
RE: RE: Perspective:  
section125 : 11/8/2019 4:48 pm : link
In comment 14669608 Jim in Forest Hills said:
Quote:
In comment 14669488 section125 said:


Quote:


We are talking about the 44th man of 46 on the active roster. Is he any less important then say, Chris Slade or Nick Gates who never get in the game except on XPs?




Technically Penny is 1st string - no one else is ahead of him so yes he should be more important than Slade. Slade is about to get more snaps in this upcoming game than Penny has the entire season. What does that tell you?


Technically he is not 1st string. FB is not a starting position on the Giants nor virtually every team in the NFL.

And as far as Slade starting, he is replacing an injured player. When Penny becomes an OT, remind my why he isn't playing ahead of Slade.
FB is an endangered species  
bc4life : 11/9/2019 9:40 am : link
in the NFL. But, at a minimum, the FB needs to blow people up when he makes contact. There are some FBs in the league who do that - Penny does not.

I think a FB has to be a dominant, consistent blocker. Don't think Penny is there, and may never get there.

Either you have a FB who meets the job description or you don't.
RE: FB is an endangered species  
section125 : 11/9/2019 9:58 am : link
In comment 14670073 bc4life said:
Quote:
in the NFL. But, at a minimum, the FB needs to blow people up when he makes contact. There are some FBs in the league who do that - Penny does not.

I think a FB has to be a dominant, consistent blocker. Don't think Penny is there, and may never get there.

Either you have a FB who meets the job description or you don't.


Your opinion. They should block well, but guards don't blow people up. Penny catches well, and blocks well enough.(yeah my opinion)
We have numerous players  
LakeGeorgeGiant : 11/9/2019 10:38 am : link
that shouldn't be on an NFL roster. A couple of them are starting. I can't comprehend why you guys have been so concerned with "wasted" roster spots this year. What good player did we cut to make room for Penny?
fair enough  
bc4life : 11/9/2019 2:46 pm : link
but there are FBs who block better.

re: "blow people up - yeah a bit of overstatement"
Back to the Corner