Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Good video on Pat Shurmur...

nzyme : 11/11/2019 3:43 pm
Sounds like they are referring to him as just a QB coach....
QB coach or Head Coach? - ( New Window )
He was a great OC  
cjac : 11/11/2019 3:49 pm : link
With the Vikings. He is no head coach.

I think they need to make a drastic change on defense at this point
Good Stuff  
GiantEgo : 11/11/2019 3:54 pm : link
These panels are usually pretty dopey but I think this is very insightful stuff. No doubt Shurmur is a fine man but he is more of a mentor-counselor type, not the CEO this team needs.
Can't argue really  
Joey in VA : 11/11/2019 4:05 pm : link
I think he could make it if he let his OC call the plays and he got more involved with how everything is going, not just being the play caller. Shula is there to work with Jones, he was there for Cam Newton and that crazy dressing d bag got them to a Super Bowl with a putrid offensive cast of characters. I think he has it in him to be that CEO he just has to delegate but at this point it's too late and he didn't learn from those who came before him.
Jim Fassel  
Les in TO : 11/11/2019 4:06 pm : link
Was also a QB whisperer and although he led some great offenses and had a lot of talent on defense was responsible for three major embarrassing meltdowns: the Vikings wild card game in 97, the ravens super bowl and the 2002 49ers debacle. I agree whole heartedly that you need to be a strong overall leader for the team and let your coordinators manage the Xs and Oís and QB development like the Ravens are doing with Harbaugh, Roman and Jackson. Shurmur is a guy whose skill sets are limited to coordinating. Heís a smart guy, a decent guy but not cut out to be the head. Just like wade phillips norm turner and buddy ryan and his ugly children.
Graziano has some guns!  
mattlawson : 11/11/2019 4:17 pm : link
dude - never knew that
RE: He was a great OC  
japanhead : 11/11/2019 4:24 pm : link
In comment 14675922 cjac said:
Quote:
With the Vikings. He is no head coach.

I think they need to make a drastic change on defense at this point


this shit i keep reading about him being a great OC is getting ridiculous. the vikings went to the title game that year based on the strength of their defense. shurmur was riding a wave. in no way was he responsible for that teams success. look what he's done with the giants offense this year. they look awful. he is constantly putting his players in the worst possible position, has no feel for personnel usage, and has no idea how to use the clock to his advantage, chases points for no reason, is quick to abandon the run when it works, sticks with it when it doesn't. he is what is wrong with this offense.

he is not a "great" OC. marginal is a much more apt descriptor.
Fassell was saddled with the  
idiotsavant : 11/11/2019 4:26 pm : link
"Ferrari with no engine"

Meaning there was WR and QB talent but no O line, and so the QB had to 'Chuck and Duck' leading not only to sacks but injured wrs as the route tree shrank due to no time to run any farther .

With the Shurm it feels like he simply disregarded to seriously develop running play
RE: RE: He was a great OC  
Johnny5 : 11/11/2019 4:44 pm : link
In comment 14676014 japanhead said:
Quote:
In comment 14675922 cjac said:


Quote:


With the Vikings. He is no head coach.

I think they need to make a drastic change on defense at this point



this shit i keep reading about him being a great OC is getting ridiculous. the vikings went to the title game that year based on the strength of their defense. shurmur was riding a wave. in no way was he responsible for that teams success. look what he's done with the giants offense this year. they look awful. he is constantly putting his players in the worst possible position, has no feel for personnel usage, and has no idea how to use the clock to his advantage, chases points for no reason, is quick to abandon the run when it works, sticks with it when it doesn't. he is what is wrong with this offense.

he is not a "great" OC. marginal is a much more apt descriptor.

Hard to argue Japanhead, based on the way Philly completely shut down that offense the the NFC title game. Man I have really soured on Shurmur.
if they keep him  
bc4life : 11/11/2019 5:03 pm : link
wonder if they follow Joey's advice and have him give up play calling
RE: if they keep him  
rocco8112 : 11/12/2019 7:54 am : link
In comment 14676079 bc4life said:
Quote:
wonder if they follow Joey's advice and have him give up play calling


he believes strongly in calljng olays, I don't think he wilk give it up and frankly with results as good as these, why should he?

Shurmur just needs more time.
RE: if they keep him  
GloryDayz : 11/12/2019 8:34 am : link
In comment 14676079 bc4life said:
Quote:
wonder if they follow Joey's advice and have him give up play calling


If the FO wants to force his hand, they need to do that now, perfect timing now with the bye to work with. See how much better/worse things get the rest of the way.

Donít wait till after the season... give him another year with hopes that would fix the problem.
RE: if they keep him  
GloryDayz : 11/12/2019 8:41 am : link
In comment 14676079 bc4life said:
Quote:
wonder if they follow Joey's advice and have him give up play calling


If the FO wants to force his hand, they need to do that now, perfect timing now with the bye to work with. See how much better/worse things get the rest of the way.

Donít wait till after the season... give him another year with hopes that would fix the problem.
Back to the Corner